Maintenance for the week of September 16:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 16, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) – 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

The teaser trailer for 2022

• SidraWillowsky
    SidraWillowsky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    sorcmag01 wrote: »
    ZOS_Kevin wrote: »
    Awesome to see everyone so hyped! 27th is gonna be a fun day!

Hey ZOS_Kevin, looks like you are having so much fun with this, so keep having fun, because that's what it's all about to me.

Kevin is awesome :) I hope ZOS gives him a raise.

Anyway, I'm really hoping this is Redguard themed! I'm not convinced either way, but I find the Redguards much more interesting and would love a deeper dive into the ESO Redguard world.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CyberOnEso wrote: »
    unknown.png

Holy [snip], that looks beautiful. And the art style is very Breton/ French/ West (Gold) Coast of Tamriel esque.
    And the rock looks very similar to the kind of limescale rock found in Summerset, which fits the location of the Maelstrom of Bal.

Yeah, I'd love it if the in-game scenery was half that beautiful. :disappointed:
    Looked at what is being speculated elsewhere - ESO hub is going with Pyandorea/Maormer - but I think they are reaching. Just do not get a Maomer feel from this trailer.

A lot of people are speculating based on what they want to see in the game, and viewing the images looking to support that. Are they teasing that the focus race is Breton, or are they teasing us that the antagonist is a Breton? My characters wear gear outside of their race all the time, so who is actually inside that armor? Is that even the antagonist? Is that "the player"? Is it an ally that is watching the ships are tossed about in the storm? What does the "battle map" at the start mean, is it showing the ships belonging to the armored person, or belonging to someone else? Who's side are we on, the ships or the armored person?

[edited to remove quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on January 7, 2022 6:29PM
    ESO Plus: No
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • swook33b16_ESO
    swook33b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Sylvermynx wrote: »
    Lysette wrote: »
    Now I hope for a cosy house in that village - I would have loved a cosy one in Abah's landing, but all we got was a freaking castle - I would have liked even a shack in the dirty harbor section more than a palace.

Oh! Do you remember that little shanty in Oblivion down near the docks? You could "acquire" it IIRC after doing the Grey Fox questline....

What I think he means that every new house don't have to be a huge castle (Not every one spents hours upon hours decorating houses you know). Zenimax could make small houses too.

I for one like small houses or biggest I would go for are the classic houses.

Still hoping for a sewer house for my rogue. Maybe inside or near a Outlaws Refuge. For my Nord warrior a nord house in a snowy mountain area or something.

Hmm I wonder if that village in the trailer is an ex Imperial village. Those buildings look similar to Anvil town in Gold coast (Cyrodiil)

https://external-preview.redd.it/bP0VPzo7XeDwF3bRtuCv7Os8a6RZJ0oUkZzM-RIpSPA.png?auto=webp&s=97968e7a032245702fa201a233eee3ec4c06fe23
    Edited by swook33b16_ESO on January 6, 2022 7:18PM
  • Caligamy_ESO
    Caligamy_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Personally I think the biggest clue is in the first 6 seconds of the video. It appears to show the mainland being panned over with Iliac Bay on the right side, High Rock, and Hammerfell on each side of the gap, some scattered landmark flags, and seemingly points in the Yokuda isle's or possibly further south in the Sea of Pearls (Nalonga Island) area when you compare what's shown on the table to Tamriel maps.

love is love
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't take anything in the trailer to mean they're adding in ocean battles. If it's an island it's cool to show it being "invaded" by the three factions - but it doesn't seem really likely that they'd add ship to ship fighting. That's a LOT of additional animations etc. among other things....
  • The3sFinest
    The3sFinest
    ✭✭✭✭
    _Zathras_ wrote: »
    T

In the trailer the character we see is a Breton, they're wearing Breton heavy armor.

:39 in the video. That isn't a Breton greatsword.

:48 Those aren't Breton shoulders, or helm.

The armor looks very Breton to me, the sword is the only thing that does look a bit off. You gotta consider though, first, this is a cinematic, so the style of the armor could not completely represent ones in the game, and second, the base game racial styles are so old and outdated that this could be simply a slight redesign.

If you look at the Breton style links, you can clearly see the glaring differences.

It's a teaser vid. It's meant to supply clues.

If you shoehorn yourself into believing something because you want it bad enough, you'll ignore what is in front of your face.

But I guess we'll see in 3 weeks.

I do not want Breton at all, and I can even say that is very Breton styled armor. Everything from the trim, to the scales, the snake-like markings. The shoulders look Nord though, and some of the other pieces are not really Breton.
  • YstradClud
    YstradClud
    ✭✭✭✭
    Some people are very ardemment he isn't Breton and is Maomer. Guess we have to wait and see. My first impression was he was a Breton though.
  • _Zathras_
    _Zathras_
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    T

In the trailer the character we see is a Breton, they're wearing Breton heavy armor.

The armor looks very Breton to me, the sword is the only thing that does look a bit off. You gotta consider though, first, this is a cinematic, so the style of the armor could not completely represent ones in the game, and second, the base game racial styles are so old and outdated that this could be simply a slight redesign.

If you look at the Breton style links, you can clearly see the glaring differences.

If you shoehorn yourself into believing something because you want it bad enough, you'll ignore what is in front of your face.

I do not want Breton at all, and I can even say that is very Breton styled armor. Everything from the trim, to the scales, the snake-like markings. The shoulders look Nord though, and some of the other pieces are not really Breton.
    YstradClud wrote: »
    Some people are very ardemment he isn't Breton and is Maomer. Guess we have to wait and see. My first impression was he was a Breton though.

I'm going purely by the armor, and the sword. None of which fit into the current Breton style. As in, direct comparisons with screenshots from ESO-Fashion.

So, the sword @ :40 It has a double guard. No Breton greatsword has that.

The armor front @ :47 That is not a Breton belt design.

The boots @ :44-45 That is not what a Breton kneeguard on the boots looks like.

The gauntlets @ :47 Those aren't Breton gauntlets either.

The helm @ :48 Not a Breton helm.

And finally the FURRY shoulders @ :49 Not a Breton shoulder style either. Did I mention the fur? No Breton armor has fur on it.

So, all of it.

Now, my caveat here is I always play Bretons. Love them. But this clearly isn't Breton armor that is being worn.
  • dinokstrunz
    dinokstrunz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    T

I'm going purely by the armor, and the sword. None of which fit into the current Breton style. As in, direct comparisons with screenshots from ESO-Fashion.

And finally the FURRY shoulders @ :49 Not a Breton shoulder style either. Did I mention the fur? No Breton armor has fur on it.

So, all of it.

Now, my caveat here is I always play Bretons. Love them. But this clearly isn't Breton armor that is being worn.

It's almost certainly ancestral Breton heavy although it's not exactly like the one found in the games files probably suggesting that it's not complete and will probably be updated at some point. It also looks similar to the Lion Guard elite costume, some of the patterns look the same. The Ancestral Breton style has been in the game files since the Stonethorn update and worn by some of the house ravenwatch members (although I believe only the light / medium is worn). If it's not Ancestral Breton then it will be a brand new Breton style.
  • The3sFinest
    The3sFinest
    ✭✭✭✭
    T

So, all of it.

I never said it was current Breton armor, you can check my replies elsewhere where I said it could be Ancestral Breton. But if you are not seeing any similarity, then you need to check again.
    For all we know, this character could represent us and they are wearing a custom made outfit, lol. A new class, race or whatever that is opposed to the 3 alliances, maybe they are going to shake things up with pvp after all and it will be a 4th alliance. Either way, my gold is on this guy being Breton.
  • Fuxo
    Fuxo
    ✭✭✭✭
    The animations are top notch as always, but... flags should follow the wind direction.
  • Gaebriel0410
    Gaebriel0410
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The armour shown in the trailer is not a direct copy of the existing Breton style (and I don't think it's ancestral either), but it shares so many similarities that it was pretty clear to me it's a Breton. And if it's a Breton chapter, there's likely (fiiiiinally) gonna be a bunch of new styles for them.

Similarities to the vanilla Breton style are for example the distinctive 'fin' on the helm, the use of scale mail (it's not maormer scales lol), the swirly decorative patterns especially visible on the knee, etc.

To see fur on Breton armour wouldn't be strange either, considering High Rock stretches all the way into the mountains.
  • _Zathras_
    _Zathras_
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still nop

It's almost certainly ancestral Breton heavy although it's not exactly like the one found in the games files probably suggesting that it's not complete and will probably be updated at some point. It also looks similar to the Lion Guard elite costume, some of the patterns look the same. The Ancestral Breton style has been in the game files since the Stonethorn update and worn by some of the house ravenwatch members (although I believe only the light / medium is worn). If it's not Ancestral Breton then it will be a brand new Breton style.

Ancestral Breton from House Ravenwatch. Nope, not that one either.

I think one detail to take particular note of is the emblem in the belt buckle. Each style of every race adheres to a symbol. Like a flag, if you will. So, a High Elf won't wear the buckle of a Dunmer, or an Orc. Nor will a Redguard wear a buckle insignia of a Wood Elf. The NPCs in the game, especially lead characters, represent their faction and/or race, which is most poignantly noted in the belt buckle pattern.

So let's take a look at this again.

@ :47 The belt buckle that is shown in the trailer. Definitely not from the current Breton style, nor from the Ancestral Breton heavy armor belt seen in House Ravenwatch.

Occam's Razor paraphrased: The simplest answer is often the one that is the most correct.

Honestly, I am more interested in why people are doubling down on it having to be a Breton. There are a lot more races and styles out there.

Edited by _Zathras_ on January 7, 2022 5:41PM
  • Gaebriel0410
    Gaebriel0410
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never seen such emphasis placed on the belt buckle myself, as a lot of them look fairly generic to me. Sometimes they feature common racial motifs like the celtic swirlies for some of the Breton armours, but when you look at the various buckles even for that they're quite different besides that.

Races that have had several armour styles released, also don't have unifying belt buckles, so personally the buckle is the last thing I'd look at for things like this. The one shown in the cinematic looks fairly generic.

For some more examples of how the armour is clearly Breton in design, look at other themes such as the riveted edges, a common design on the basegame Breton heavy armours. Similar to that, the already distinctive fin-style helm have a full visor, clearly seen from the back. To me, the whole design just says Breton as it shares a lot of design elements with the existing vanilla motifs. And ESO has always been very coherent with small details like that in previous armour styles.
  • YstradClud
    YstradClud
    ✭✭✭✭
    Honestly, I am more interested in why people are doubling down on it having to be a Breton. There are a lot more races and styles out there.

Yes but why would they neglect the two OG races (Breton and Redguard) that haven't had a chapter dedicated to them before branching off to lesser known races like Maormer. Personally as a Breton main and someone with a interest in Breton lore I would feel like they have just taken another dump on me.
  • Path
    Path
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh yea! Teaser.
    As in hair.
    [snip]

[Picture Removed for Inappropriate Content]
    Edited by Psiion on January 8, 2022 4:30AM
    Fairy Tales Really Do Come True...Kinda.
  • VocalThought
    VocalThought
    ✭✭✭
    Sylvermynx wrote: »
    Hoo boy! Way cool, even if it's not Yokuda.... But that village spilling down the cliffside.... reminds me of areas of the Mediterranean - *salivating*!

Looks just like Istanbul!!
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes but why would they neglect the two OG races (Breton and Redguard) that haven't had a chapter dedicated to them before branching off to lesser known races like Maormer. Personally as a Breton main and someone with a interest in Breton lore I would feel like they have just taken another dump on me.

Bosmer haven’t had a chapter or even a DLC yet either! Some year we need to find Falinesti or venture further in Elden Root or both!
  • Wolfshead
    Wolfshead
    ✭✭✭✭
    OMG....I have to wait for 3 weeks!! :p

This has to be High Isle in Hammerfell with pirates :p

I was think same when I see it must be Hammerfell
    If you find yourself alone, riding in green fields with the sun on your face, do not be troubled; for you are in Elysium, and you're already dead
    What we do in life, echoes in eternity
  • YstradClud
    YstradClud
    ✭✭✭✭

Bosmer haven’t had a chapter or even a DLC yet either! Some year we need to find Falinesti or venture further in Elden Root or both!

Sorry I failed to mention them I was just watching Hack's YouTube and he said Breton and Redguard were the two left out?

https://youtu.be/yc79_Zsm-68?t=135
  • SerafinaWaterstar
    SerafinaWaterstar
    ✭✭✭✭✭

But the Bosmer lore etc has been pretty much covered in the base game. And all their areas are also in the game.

From playing the game only, one knows absolutely nothing about Bretons & where they came from; it only mentions recent history. Even the Redguards get more background (tho not much!)

I really hope it is Breton focused, exploring where they came from, including Nedic stuff.

I am not sure I could cope with an entire dlc full of perky cheeky wood elves with bad english accents. The base game areas are bad enough, and Eveli drove me mad as a ‘companion’.
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    (Sorry if someone already linked this.)

ESO (the YouTube channel, not owned/run by Bethesda) had a pretty clever breakdown of where the chapter might be. He basically took the “war map” where the ships are placed on and used it to figure out the location of the island.

https://youtu.be/6sVv-cvht0c

He then gave a breakdown of the lore behind that island and what the storm could mean.

Good stuff!
    Edited by BlueRaven on January 8, 2022 3:17PM
  • Ashnarug
    Ashnarug
    ✭✭✭
    I know it looks as if they are going west but ... could they be going to Akavir ?
    During the afternoon of Loredas, 6 Sun’s Dawn 2e578 a big piece of Aetherius fell to Nirn. It was the first major piece of Aetherius to fall on Nirn in more than five hundred years. It scattered around the world as millions of shards. It was rapidly documented by Lady Cinnabar of Taneth in her pamphlet Aetherial Fragments that "... when three shards meet, they re-form into a silvery prism by unknown process and confer the power unlocked by the merger to a nearby being." The Order of the Black Worm, commonly known as the Worm Cult, reappeared in Tamriel shortly thereafter and some of its members are avidly searching said shards.
    In the last week of First Seed 2e579, an arcane explosion occurred in the Imperial City — a night of storms, and trembling terrain. They named it the "Soulburst". That day Emperor Varen Aquilarios disappeared without a trace. His wife, Clivia Tharn, ascended to the Ruby Throne as Empress Regent under the guidance of the Necromancer Mannimarco. Ushering a time of increased instability within the Empire of Cyrodiil which finally grew into “The Three Banners War”.
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

But the Bosmer lore etc has been pretty much covered in the base game. And all their areas are also in the game.

From playing the game only, one knows absolutely nothing about Bretons & where they came from; it only mentions recent history. Even the Redguards get more background (tho not much!)

I really hope it is Breton focused, exploring where they came from, including Nedic stuff.

I am not sure I could cope with an entire dlc full of perky cheeky wood elves with bad english accents. The base game areas are bad enough, and Eveli drove me mad as a ‘companion’.

All the Bosmer lore that you know of maybe! And where is Falinesti? Plus the Bosmer desperately need more motifs and furnishing options!

Your arguments I could well say of the Bretons as they seem boring to me (just generic pseudo European medieval like most of the human “races”) AND I believe all the Breton areas are in the base game.

And I made it through a Nord expansion and their accents so no dissing on Bosmer. (Certainly we could see more variation in Altmer and Bosmer portrayals, not that there aren’t exceptions, but many feel caricatured, unfortunately.)

Anyway, I’m still looking forward to the next chapter and I very much enjoyed Orsinium even though I’m not generally a fan of orcs, but that chapter had many interesting and varied portrayals. :)
  • adriant1978
    adriant1978
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Glad I'm not the only one who finds those mockney elf voices like nails on a chalkboard!

• Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad I'm not the only one who finds those mockney elf voices like nails on a chalkboard!

Makes three of us. I just keep all the voices muted since I don't like VA anyway. I'm happy with subtitles! Now if I could only mute the awful character voices too.... *sigh*

But yeah.... Falinesti....
  • Zama666
    Zama666
    ✭✭✭✭
    Can't wait to fall off that cliff!!!

Looks STUNNING!!!!

Maybe we will get ships, naval battles and trading!

#excited
  • nymlaelitharcub18_ESO
    I think comparing with existing armor is pointless? If the Chapter IS Breton focused, there will be a new Breton-themed style or two and it would only make sense for a central character to be wearing one.

I'd prefer it not being a random island conjured just for this Chapter. There are some islands that belong to High Rock but all of them are tiny. The Yokudan archipelago meanwhile is NOT tiny and is large enough for a Chapter. If a main theme is politics, Crowns vs Forebears would make sense. Crowns are not aligned with any of the Alliances so we'd all be equally welcome (or unwelcom) in Akos Kasaz. A Breton being behind an intricate political plot sounds like what a Breton would do.
  • nymlaelitharcub18_ESO

All the Bosmer lore that you know of maybe! And where is Falinesti? Plus the Bosmer desperately need more motifs and furnishing options!

Your arguments I could well say of the Bretons as they seem boring to me (just generic pseudo European medieval like most of the human “races”) AND I believe all the Breton areas are in the base game.

And I made it through a Nord expansion and their accents so no dissing on Bosmer. (Certainly we could see more variation in Altmer and Bosmer portrayals, not that there aren’t exceptions, but many feel caricatured, unfortunately.)

Anyway, I’m still looking forward to the next chapter and I very much enjoyed Orsinium even though I’m not generally a fan of orcs, but that chapter had many interesting and varied portrayals. :)

Falinesti would be great but would probably be somewhere outside Tamriel. If they do it, I hope they bring the Imga. The Bosmer zones made a solid effort at expanding on Bosmer lore. The Breton zones didn't do as good a job at lore though; sure they are solid zones but we did not really learn much about Bretons (and Daggerfall showed there is a lot more to them).
  • furiouslog
    furiouslog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Still nop

Ancestral Breton from House Ravenwatch. Nope, not that one either.

I think one detail to take particular note of is the emblem in the belt buckle. Each style of every race adheres to a symbol. Like a flag, if you will. So, a High Elf won't wear the buckle of a Dunmer, or an Orc. Nor will a Redguard wear a buckle insignia of a Wood Elf. The NPCs in the game, especially lead characters, represent their faction and/or race, which is most poignantly noted in the belt buckle pattern.

So let's take a look at this again.

@ :47 The belt buckle that is shown in the trailer. Definitely not from the current Breton style, nor from the Ancestral Breton heavy armor belt seen in House Ravenwatch.

Occam's Razor paraphrased: The simplest answer is often the one that is the most correct.

I'm not sure what conclusion you are supporting with Occam's Razor, unless you are just saying that it's not Breton.

I don't think anyone's saying that it's actually Breton armor, but it is more "Bretonish" than any other armor out there. If I were to guess, it's an exiled Breton, or group of Bretons, who occupy these islands, and have modified the armor to reflect their separatist culture and geographical needs. Reason being: the boots and the helm look so similar to regular Breton armor that you'd have to conclude that it's at least some style modification of the original, which Occam's Razor would actually support, because any other culture that had such direct similarity to standard Breton armor would require a more complex explanation to justify the similarities.