Maintenance for the week of September 9:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 9

Overland Content Feedback Thread

• disky
    disky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most people engaging in Overland content just want to quest or doing their dailies.
    However, so many enemies are not being played at all because they can be skipped.
    The dragging of enemies through overland or delves is already a thing and if you increase the difficulty more, it will just increase because running is faster than fighting.

So then why bother having enemies at all, right? Let's just create a completely barren world and never think about fighting because it's not actually fun to do, efficiency is all that matters!

The feature would exist BECAUSE people want to fight. If anything it should increase overland interactivity because the people who enable it actually want to be there, fighting.
    Edited by disky on July 16, 2024 10:14PM
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    disky wrote: »
    Most people engaging in Overland content just want to quest or doing their dailies.
    However, so many enemies are not being played at all because they can be skipped.
    The dragging of enemies through overland or delves is already a thing and if you increase the difficulty more, it will just increase because running is faster than fighting.

So then why bother having enemies at all, right? Let's just create a completely barren world and never think about fighting because it's not actually fun to do, efficiency is all that matters!

The feature would exist BECAUSE people want to fight. If anything it should increase overland interactivity because the people who enable it actually want to be there, fighting.

People do fight. In Dungeons, and Trials, and Arenas, and Bastion Nymics, and the Infinite Archive, and Dolmens, and Geysers, and Harrowstorms, and Vents, and Incursions, and World Bosses, and Public Dungeons, and Delves. People also enjoy a relaxing questing experience.
    PCNA
  • disky
    disky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    disky wrote: »

People do fight. In Dungeons, and Trials, and Arenas, and Bastion Nymics, and the Infinite Archive, and Dolmens, and Geysers, and Harrowstorms, and Vents, and Incursions, and World Bosses, and Public Dungeons, and Delves. People also enjoy a relaxing questing experience.

I'm simply opposing the statement that there is no point to a challenge slider because "no one would use it" with my counterpoint being "of course the people who don't want to fight aren't going to use it, but they're probably not the ones asking for overland challenge or leaving the game because it's too easy anyway".

It's silly to point out that no one would use it to people who are clearly asking for it and know what they want. I want to fight and I want fights to be challenging. Those who don't want it can leave the feature off and go about their business, running past whatever they want.
  • Damico
    Damico
    ✭✭✭
    What if they just made an instance of overland people could opt into if they wanted increased difficulty to experience the story with?
  • BlackRaidho
    BlackRaidho
    ✭✭✭
    Damico wrote: »
    What if they just made an instance of overland people could opt into if they wanted increased difficulty to experience the story with?

Not enough players for this i think...
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Would say so years ago before we've got tot, "housing finder" etc. so they not really concerned about niche stuff if that's what they want themselves.
  • Damico
    Damico
    ✭✭✭

There are.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

There are.

I doubt it.

I think that if they did optional difficulty, the overwhelming majority of players would just leave it on the default. Of the people who even bothered to change the setting, most would probably put it on the lowest (easiest). Edit… I also think so many would forget the setting even exists that the term ‘everyone’ would not be very misleading.

If this ends up being something they think benefits the game enough to justify the expense, my guess is that it will be done. Otherwise, it will not.
    Edited by Elsonso on July 21, 2024 4:12PM
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Grind Road

ESO Plus: No
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Damico
    Damico
    ✭✭✭
    Elsonso wrote: »

There are.

I doubt it.

I think that if they did optional difficulty, the overwhelming majority of players would just leave it on the default. Of the people who even bothered to change the setting, most would probably put it on the lowest (easiest). Edit… I also think so many would forget the setting even exists that the term ‘everyone’ would not be very misleading.

If this ends up being something they think benefits the game enough to justify the expense, my guess is that it will be done. Otherwise, it will not.

I don't think so.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

There are.

I doubt it.

I don't think so.

@Elsonso is right.
    PCNA
  • Uvi_AUT
    Uvi_AUT
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just doing my quarterly check (since I was thinking about starting ESO again after the last FF14-DLC was a Dud).

Is the Overlandcontent still mindnumbingly easy or has there been any changes? Did ZOS anounce any changes?

Thanks.
    Registered since 2014, Customer Service lost my Forum-Account and can't find it.....
  • Arrodisia
    Arrodisia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Changing the difficulty of overland leveling content isn't going to make it more interesting for most new players or alts.

The newer dlc's/expansion areas are harder than older ones and they are empty. I rarely see anyone around playing overland there.

At this time, I'm not for or against a slider. As long as the handful of players who want it will actually play it more than 1 or 2 months and certain criteria are met.

I'm only going to be against it in the following cases:
    1.) It breaks the game for everyone else which has happened in other games in the past. The dev team is smaller now. I'm not sure if they can devote the resources to it at this time. Only the devs can comment on this part.
    2.) It hinders the release of new, fleshed out and dynamic content which this game needs more than ever
    3.) it allows for carrying another player.
    4.) It allows companions to be active in combat while doing it

I'm all for choices and nothing being forced on players. I've seen how that goes wrong too often. There is a lot of difficult content already in the game and we're still getting more. I don't see this as a high demand or pressing issue at this time.

Players are leaving the game for multiple different reasons

1.)ZOS added a bunch of new systems and changes which speak to many different types of players. So, of course, a lot of players want different types of content and can't agree on what has priority.
    2.)players are tired of reading/hearing the same nonskippable dialogues repeatedly.
    3.)some players find the game too hard and some find it too easy
    4.)various performance issues aren't being fully dealt with in group pve and pvp within a reasonable time frame
    5.)pve/pvp content releases have been less fleshed out in later releases and are being added slowly
    6.)balancing so that all roles are needed in all group content from the lowest to highest levels of difficulty
    7.)lack of better rewards for trials, dungeons, arenas, and all PvP modes, which aren't BoP and only for 1 or 2% of the players.
    8.)with no solution for furnishing storage, inventories and homes can become messy
    9.)burnout which has nothing to do with the devs

After Craglorn, old vet levels, and the newer DLC releases feedback, many players made it clear they didn't want hard content outside of group content. They're complaining new areas are too hard to play solo and duo. A level 14 in our guild was wrecked by 2 regular monsters. They said a few angry words and haven't logged in since. That isn't the first or last time it'll happen.

Many players ask about the game early. When they hear words like hurry, grind, catch up, op broken sets/legendaries, P2W, carries, and the rest of the bs nonsense they quit, because that is copy pasted degenerate gameplay destroying the communities of every mmo.

Why do they need to reach it fast? They miss the fun experience of leveling together with other players and learning how to play their class well because of this bad advice.

Is a new player going to magically know how to tank vet hm stonegarden because they were rushed with no fun and practice to cp levels? It looks a whole lot more like a carry to sell another carry until they quit, which again is something destroying MMO'S not helping them grow. Most players want to know where the fun chat and groups to level in the content are, not the boring grind festivals in BRP and overpriced skin/achieve carries.

If players really want this much challenge, why do so many cry so loud about every class, set, CP and legendary nerf? why do they use companions for combat? why do they run around with op broken classes, gear and legendaries?

If they ever decide for a slider, anyone using the said slider should probably not be allowed to use companions or group or use legendaries unless Zenimax has scaled this difficulty to be slightly more than doubled for each person entering the group. Since it must account for the fact that there are extra buffs, debuffs, synergies, and so on available in group content and they should disable any op broken legendary item worn. So no player can afk in the challenge mode or be carried by an item crutch or another player. Besides that, every single player must participate fully or they get a fast ticking, stacking dot on them until they participate or they die. Once you die you either can't get xp and rewards from the challenge mode for the rest of the day or you get removed and can't reenter challenge mode until daily server reset time. If you really want challenge, there it is.

I suggested that as an example, because players are claiming they need more difficulty. Then zero carries should be allowed to keep it challenging. The challenge is the reward, right?...Again, imho and just to be clear, a slider should be fully optional and either no grouping or a have a much greater difficulty for each person added to the group.

There should also, be no sets added later, which can outdo the added difficulty and the slider can only be moved 1 time per day. So players can't cheese things with slider changes every 5 mins. I mean. Seriously, do players asking for this type of thing want difficulty of challenge or not?
    Edited by Arrodisia on July 25, 2024 11:01AM
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Uvi_AUT wrote: »
    Just doing my quarterly check (since I was thinking about starting ESO again after the last FF14-DLC was a Dud).

Is the Overlandcontent still mindnumbingly easy or has there been any changes? Did ZOS anounce any changes?

Thanks.

@Uvi_AUT No news, and at this time, I am not expecting any news. Check back in January, as this would be something they would probably announce in early 2025, if they intend to do it next year.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Grind Road

ESO Plus: No
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Damico
    Damico
    ✭✭✭

There are.

I doubt it.

I don't think so.

@Elsonso is right.

I disagree.
  • Franchise408
    Franchise408
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Uvi_AUT wrote: »

Thanks.

Still mind numbingly easy
  • ssewallb14_ESO
    ssewallb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice job whoever did the ranch and quarry offices in Ontus, really cool looking spaces.
    Edited by ssewallb14_ESO on August 3, 2024 1:14AM
  • rainydayhype
    rainydayhype
    Soul Shriven
    I just have to add my voice in because I love this game, been playing for years, but I can’t stand how inconveniently easy the combat is. Everything is so easy that it’s like just a nuisance to actually play the game in a way that they intended. Other than maybe world bosses, you really are never in any danger. I even was able to kill most of the over land content with heavy/light attacks. I really hate to compare games, but I have rejoined WoW just for that feeling of challenge. I’m more into PvP in ESO because of this, but it’s really unfortunate that the all the monsters feel like they are made of paper mache and to get any gear for PvP you have to put up with slapping around a couple piñatas. I just hope Zos listens to their entire player base and not just the casual gamers. I really don’t get what a game is even for if not to challenge the player and make them feel a sense of accomplishment for getting better at a game they like. I would probably even spend more on crates if the game was more enjoyable to play, *hint *hint. :#
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have rejoined WoW just for that feeling of challenge.

WoW zones do not have any feeling of challenge. WoW zones are different levels, from starter zones to the latest expansion being the more difficult. Players quickly outlevel the zones to the point that the mobs are so easy they won't even attack the player any more. A max level character can go into lower level raids and pull the entire place into one big pile and kill them all with one AOE. That is not more challenging.
    PCNA
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really don’t get what a game is even for if not to challenge the player and make them feel a sense of accomplishment for getting better at a game they like.

I don't play games for challenge or sense of accomplishment. I play for fun, and for escape from RL.

"But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending." Mercedes Lackey, Into the West

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- four accounts, many alts....
  • ssewallb14_ESO
    ssewallb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really like all the random weirdos with dialog that pop up now and then on the roads of West Weald. Adds character.
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really like all the random weirdos with dialog that pop up now and then on the roads of West Weald. Adds character.

I do too! "Random weirdos" is so perfectly descriptive!

"But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending." Mercedes Lackey, Into the West

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- four accounts, many alts....
  • Dahveed
    Dahveed
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This is an example of a point I was making earlier about ESO's "target audience" when people would say things like, "not enough players would use a slider".

Probably about five percent of the player base interacts with or even cares about those "random weirdos" that you mention here... Which goes for a LOT of the random dialogue that exists all over the place. (For example that beggar hanging around Solitude who has three different "useless" lines of dialogue which lead to no quests or progression; they are there for some flavour.)

They add all this (having to pay RL voice actors and use their precious dev resources) knowing full well that only a very small percentage of players will actually interact with these NPCs at all, let alone interact with them on up to three separate occasions to listen to all the different lines they speak.

That is why when I hear things like:
    Arrodisia wrote: »
    The dev team is smaller now. I'm not sure if they can devote the resources to it at this time.

...then I truly don't understand how they are going to spend countless tens of thousands of dollars on writing, NPC AI and voice acting on literally thousands of barely used flavour dialogue lines which only a very tiny percentage of players will ever see... And yet a simple slider which I could literally mod myself (and have modded myself) in games like Fallout and Skyrim in a lazy afternoon is somehow cost prohibitive.

I mean I get that if they wanted to do it "right" it would take more than my sorry arse could do in a few hours. Hell it might even take them a couple weeks. But even a very simple slider would literally save the game for thousands of players. It's impossible to count how many players have quit because of how bored they were. It's always the reason I end up leaving (I'm due to quit for a while again), and not just because of boredom or "burnout".

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. If I had a reason to level alts (i.e. the game pushed me to actually level and gear them so I could have fun exploring the overworld), then my butt would never leave my couch again.

As it stands now, I can't get an alt past level 6 or 7 because I immediately see how useless my progression is going to be. What's the point of gaining skills or gear if my character is going to win no matter what I do?

Edited by Dahveed on August 7, 2024 2:58PM
  • Franchise408
    Franchise408
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TaSheen wrote: »
    I really don’t get what a game is even for if not to challenge the player and make them feel a sense of accomplishment for getting better at a game they like.

I don't play games for challenge or sense of accomplishment. I play for fun, and for escape from RL.

A game is something with a challenge or obstacle to overcome. Whether it's a board game like Monopoly, a card game like Solitaire, shooting marbles, playing tag, or whatever the game is. It has a challenge to overcome, and has a level of competition by default. The level of that challenge and competition varies from game to game, but a challenge and accomplishment is literally the purpose of a game.

If you want to play a game with no challenge, what you're really looking for is a movie, TV show, or a book.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the same a movie has "conflict" but that conflict can be extremely small, a video game can have a very negligible challenge because the game is meant to be relaxing. Chill video games exist and this (overland) is one of them. All of us who want a challenge from the overland are the ones asking for a change. And the people who like the game the way it is are the ones who like the game as the designers envision it.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on August 7, 2024 8:59PM
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A game is something with a challenge or obstacle to overcome. Whether it's a board game like Monopoly, a card game like Solitaire, shooting marbles, playing tag, or whatever the game is. It has a challenge to overcome, and has a level of competition by default. The level of that challenge and competition varies from game to game, but a challenge and accomplishment is literally the purpose of a game.

If you want to play a game with no challenge, what you're really looking for is a movie, TV show, or a book.

A game is also something with objectives to meet... like completing a zone story... which doesn't have to be difficult to meet the objective.
    Edited by SilverBride on August 7, 2024 8:51PM
    PCNA
  • Theist_VII
    Theist_VII
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    218 pages filled with 6,500 comments, and over 187,300 views on this thread and all for what?

None of our feedback matters.

It is clear that ZOS have their own agenda, and don’t care what kind of game we want.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They do care what kind of game we want. This is one reason One Tamriel happened, and the game has been very successful because of it.
    Edited by SilverBride on August 8, 2024 6:57PM
    PCNA
  • Theist_VII
    Theist_VII
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They do care what kind of game we want. This is one reason One Tamriel happened, and the game has been very successful because of it.

Kind of telling that you sourced a 2016 update as the last time any feedback had an answer…

One Tamriel was a success because it broke down an artificial divide for playing with your friends, it added sets to overland that were competitive at the time, and on top of that they added a dueling system to fight your friends, all to the game that update.

It’s easy to just say, “well look, One Tamriel was received great!” when the majority of the patch presented great things.

Yet not all of the One Tamriel changes were received well. Overland difficulty, or more pointedly, the lack thereof, has been a major reason why people fail to get invested, and has stunted player progression throughout the community, trickling into all forms of content.

This thread is testament to that.

Questing is still tedious, and will remain tedious, because management can’t seem to separate the good from the bad when it comes to One Tamriel and they are paralyzed with fear to step out of the mold they have forged for themselves.

As a result it is near impossible to find day one players with original names walking around; guilds are littered with inactive players, and zones both new and old feel barren and lifeless.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Theist_VII wrote: »

Kind of telling that you sourced a 2016 update as the last time any feedback had an answer…

I never said that One Tamriel was the last time feedback had an answer. I gave it as an example because it fits the topic of this thread. One Tamriel removed the veteran overland levels and it was very successful. Why would they bring them back now?
    PCNA
  • Theist_VII
    Theist_VII
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Theist_VII wrote: »

I never said that One Tamriel was the last time feedback had an answer. I gave it as an example because it fits the topic of this thread. One Tamriel removed the veteran overland levels and it was very successful. Why would they bring them back now?

Yet the majority of people asking for meaningful combat in overland don’t ask for veteran levels returning as they were alt unfriendly.

That being said, I stop in this thread from time to time and have seen so many great alternatives and suggestions that would appease everyone, yet nothing. It’s radio silent, and there have been years between, with zero development towards a middle ground based on player feedback.