Are fake dds a thing?

• Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fake dds are a thing.
    zvavi wrote: »
    lihentian wrote: »
    zos should make a fake que, where everyone can fake their role..

It is called normal dungeons. The world where roles don't matter, and where people learn the game.

My own experience with normal dungeons is that they are worthless as learning environments. They are usually filled with high-powered DPS steamrolling the place asap for gear or dailies. New players who are trying to learn the game will be lucky if they even get to hit something, let alone learn how to prepare their combat role for veteran content.
    Edited by Jeremy on May 28, 2021 5:33PM
    Options
  • amm7sb14_ESO
    amm7sb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fake dds are not a thing.
    Jeremy wrote: »

It is called normal dungeons. The world where roles don't matter, and where people learn the game.

My own experience with normal dungeons is that they are worthless as learning environments. They are usually filled with high-powered DPS steamrolling the place asap for gear or dailies. New players who are trying to learn the game will be lucky if they even get to hit something, let alone learn how to prepare their combat role for veteran content.

Yet another argument in favor of keeping CP players out of normal.

High level CP players want to gatekeep their vet content, but then want to speed run all the normal content so learning players don't get their needed learning experience. It leaves no place left for low level players to play and learn their skills.
    Options
  • Goregrinder
    Goregrinder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Fake dds are a thing.

High level CP players want to gatekeep their vet content, but then want to speed run all the normal content so learning players don't get their needed learning experience. It leaves no place left for low level players to play and learn their skills.

Dungeons aren't the only way for new players to learn anything.
    Options
  • amm7sb14_ESO
    amm7sb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

They are a huge way for new players to learn stuff.

Normal dungeons are exactly for that.

But high level players want to gatekeep vet content, and they want to come in and steam roll normal dungeons. If high level players had their way, overland content is all some of these low level players would have.
    Options
  • Goregrinder
    Goregrinder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Fake dds are a thing.

But high level players want to gatekeep vet content, and they want to come in and steam roll normal dungeons. If high level players had their way, overland content is all some of these low level players would have.

Again, not the only way. I assume when you say "high level players" you're just making a generalization. So to use that same generalization, high level players just want other players who can keep up with the rest of them.
    Options
  • amm7sb14_ESO
    amm7sb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Again, not the only way. I assume when you say "high level players" you're just making a generalization. So to use that same generalization, high level players just want other players who can keep up with the rest of them.

Then they should stay in vet content where they are supposed to be keeping up with each other.
    Options
  • seldomseenkd
    seldomseenkd
    ✭✭✭
    Then they should stay in vet content where they are supposed to be keeping up with each other.

Isn't that gatekeeping?

Options
  • Goregrinder
    Goregrinder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Fake dds are a thing.

They probably do also run vet content in addition to normal content.
    Options
  • cheesestickz
    cheesestickz
    Soul Shriven
    Fake dds are a thing.
    LOL yes they are a thing. One time, I qed on my healer as a fake tank (healer with taunt + shield) and my team consisted of a fake healer who was actually a DD, a fake dd who was a healer, and a real dd. it was comical, i loved tht moment.
    Options
  • Alurria
    Alurria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They should just do away with roles for random normals.
    Options
  • amm7sb14_ESO
    amm7sb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Isn't that gatekeeping?

In this case, I'd call it protecting. What content are lower level players who are still learning the game supposed to have if the high level players feel a sense of sole entitlement to vet dungeons and trials, and feel entitled to normal dungeons and trials for steamroll runs?
    Options
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fake dds are a thing.

Some don't want them to have overland anymore either.
    Options
  • Nagastani
    Nagastani
    ✭✭✭✭
    Fake dds are a thing.
    Those saying, "Fake dds are not a thing" do not understand what this is about I think.

Its not about ppl needing to improve their dps, heck there's room for -all- of us to improve on something, including myself.

However that is not what this is about and most answering that don't understand because they've never played with someone faking dps and not trying, expecting to be carried. Its not about learning or ppl need to try harder even. Its about ppl screwing around or coming to a Raid unprepared. You guys defending these clowns you know, is it right to stress out the rest of the group and inconvenience all of us, souring the run itself because someone chooses not to come prepared? Or *knows* beforehand this is something they cannot do, so they want us to carry them without trying harder themselves?
    Edited by Nagastani on May 28, 2021 11:07PM
    Options
  • seldomseenkd
    seldomseenkd
    ✭✭✭
    In this case, I'd call it protecting. What content are lower level players who are still learning the game supposed to have if the high level players feel a sense of sole entitlement to vet dungeons and trials, and feel entitled to normal dungeons and trials for steamroll runs?

Why do you think you're entitled to be matched with players that meet your expectations when you you're not willing to put more than the bare minimum of effort yourself?

As I said earlier in the thread, the problem is your overreliance on the random dungeon finder tool. Expecting it to be anything other than a wretched hive of scum and incompetence is naïve beyond belief. As with anything in life, the rewards you receive are directly proportional to the effort you're willing to put in. If you want to consistently be in groups that meet your expectations then build alliances with competent, like-minded players. Join guilds that run normal dungeon/trials on a regular basis and get in on the action.

Absolutely no content is off-limits to you. But if you insist on using the lowest effort option available to you then you really shouldn't be expecting anything other than bottom-of-the-barrel experiences.

Options
  • amm7sb14_ESO
    amm7sb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Why do you think you're entitled to be matched with players that meet your expectations when you you're not willing to put more than the bare minimum of effort yourself?

As I said earlier in the thread, the problem is your overreliance on the random dungeon finder tool. Expecting it to be anything other than a wretched hive of scum and incompetence is naïve beyond belief. As with anything in life, the rewards you receive are directly proportional to the effort you're willing to put in. If you want to consistently be in groups that meet your expectations then build alliances with competent, like-minded players. Join guilds that run normal dungeon/trials on a regular basis and get in on the action.

Absolutely no content is off-limits to you. But if you insist on using the lowest effort option available to you then you really shouldn't be expecting anything other than bottom-of-the-barrel experiences.

I don't know who "you" is. I'm CP 940'ish, guild trial leader, and regularly do dungeons, pledges, and trials with my guild. I have my group of people who play with the same mentality that I do.

But just because it's not "my" problem, doesn't mean it's not -a- problem.
    Options
  • seldomseenkd
    seldomseenkd
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know who "you" is. I'm CP 940'ish, guild trial leader, and regularly do dungeons, pledges, and trials with my guild. I have my group of people who play with the same mentality that I do.

I agree there's a problem. The problem is players who have unrealistic expectations when it comes to the random dungeon finder tool, whoever they may be.

Options
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fake dds are a thing.

I agree there's a problem. The problem is players who have unrealistic expectations when it comes to the random dungeon finder tool, whoever they may be.

Most groups do complete the dungeon even if it's quite often too slowly for many people's tastes if they don't fake tank. You're overstating things imo.
    Options
  • seldomseenkd
    seldomseenkd
    ✭✭✭
    spartaxoxo wrote: »
    Most groups do complete the dungeon even if it's quite often too slowly for many people's tastes if they don't fake tank. You're overstating things imo.

You're attempting to strawman me imo.
    Options
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fake dds are a thing.

You're attempting to strawman me imo.

What words did I attribute to you? Show me directly which words I argued were yours? If you cannot, then its not a strawman. I simply stated my opinion about what you stated.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on May 29, 2021 2:11AM
    Options
  • orion_1981usub17_ESO
    orion_1981usub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm Sad to see this thread still going with its pseudo elitism and soft bigotry of generalizations against the player base. The more I reread the replies and quotes I received from this thread the more I realize the full extent of the arrogance of the "Fake DD exist" side. Let me break it down.

The "fake DD does not exist": largely has one argument. You can not have a double negative. This means that anyone can be defined as DD. And being DD they exist on a spectrum from good DD to poor DD. That's it, the only real argument the encompasses they entirety of Fake DD does not exist.

But when you look at the post in this thread that state fake DD do exist you have many different classifications that your side of the argument is using. And the worse part of your arguments is that you don't acknowledge the classification that others on your side of the argument used.

Example there are post in this thread that define fake DD as:
    1. Players who do too little damage
    2. Players who looking to be carried
    3. Players that should have Q as healers or tanks that for some reason Q as DD
    4. Players who wear sets you believe they should not
    5. Players that are new or inexperienced.
    6. Players that were rude to you or acting in a manner of trolling.
    7. Players who are obstinate in desiring not to meet your standards of how they should play
    8. Players that back bar snb or healing staffs
    9. Players that are out DPSed by the tank (this is relatively new and due to certain sets some tanky builds can do enormous amounts of damage... aka necro tanks).
    10. Players who are using the wrong skills.
    11. Players you have mind read to know that they Q as DD knowing they can not DD (because your psychic and they're peasants)
    12. Players who swaps their role to play with a friend

Okay so that was a condensing of the many pro fake DD arguments. What Galls me though beyond the complete subjective-ness of the accusations. Is that many pro fake dd post explicitly say that one of the above arguments is not the argument of the thread. Such as "We are not talking about low DPS" when clear many pro fake DD are talking about low DPS among many other things.

I will say it, the pro fake DD community are in my opinion poor company. I'm happy I have well run guilds and friends that I don't do my vets on random with out a pool of 40+ players to hop in with. Clearly some of you have demonstrated why you have to use vet Randoms with pugs. And that's sad, because I truly believe you could all be great, friendly players if you get off your high horses and toned it down just a notch.

There is no such thing as a fake DD, all of your above arguments do not equate to fake DD because you can not have a double negative.
    Options
  • seldomseenkd
    seldomseenkd
    ✭✭✭
    What words did I attribute to you? Show me directly which words I argued were yours?

I didn't say you were putting words in my mouth. I said you were attacking a misrepresentation of my position.

"Most groups do complete the dungeon even if it's quite often too slowly for many people's tastes if they don't fake tank."

How is that even remotely relevant to anything I've said in this thread?

Options
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fake dds are a thing.
    What words did I attribute to you? Show me directly which words I argued were yours?

I didn't say you were putting words in my mouth. I said you were attacking a misrepresentation of my position.

"Most groups do complete the dungeon even if it's quite often too slowly for many people's tastes if they don't fake tank."

How is that even remotely relevant to anything I've said in this thread?

In order for it to be a strawman, I have to act like the argument stated was yours. This is typically done by putting words in your mouth type statements. It is not merely something you personally find irrelevant to what you said. I assigned no position to you explicitly or implicitly, and therefore did not strawman you.
    As I said earlier in the thread, the problem is your overreliance on the random dungeon finder tool. Expecting it to be anything other than a wretched hive of scum and incompetence is naïve beyond belief. As with anything in life, the rewards you receive are directly proportional to the effort you're willing to put in. If you want to consistently be in groups that meet your expectations then build alliances with competent, like-minded players.

And you said this.

"Wretched hive of scum and villainy" and "naive beyond belief" both are obviously hyperbolic, but the takeaway message to that statement is definitely that group finder groups are mostly bad and one should make a premade group instead for good results. The language choice is too strong to consider it to be largely good.

To which I countered that most group finder groups are fine. Which contradicts the statement that you'd have to be "naive beyond belief" to expect to consistently find good groups and that your language choice oversells how bad they are.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on May 29, 2021 2:57AM
    Options
  • seldomseenkd
    seldomseenkd
    ✭✭✭
    In order for it to be a strawman, I have to act like the argument stated was yours. This is typically done by putting words in your mouth type statements. It is not merely something you personally find irrelevant to what you said. I assigned no position to you explicitly or implicitly, and therefore did not strawman you.

Typically, but not exclusively. You can attack a misrepresentation of a person's argument without stating the misrepresentation explicitly.

For example,
    One "I don't think it's a good idea to force people to take the vaccine."
    Two "So you don't care if millions die?"

The misrepresentation being attacked is "people shouldn't take the vaccine" even though this is not stated explicitly. If this wasn't a misrepresentation then the attack would be relevant to the person's actual position.

However, in good faith I accept your clarification that you were assigning no position to me explicitly or implicitly and I'll put the misunderstanding down to a reading comprehension error on my part.
    "Wretched hive of scum and villainy" and "naive beyond belief" both are obviously hyperbolic, but the takeaway message to that statement is definitely that group finder groups are mostly bad and one should make a premade group instead for good results.

To which I countered that most group finder groups are fine. Which contradicts the statement that you'd have to be "naive beyond belief" to expect to consistently find good groups and that your language choice oversells how bad they are.

Fair enough I guess. I was definitely saying that group finder groups are mostly bad experiences and one should make a premade group if you want better results, and I stand by this. If people are having mostly bad experiences then they should change their strategy; insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. Obviously if you're having mostly good experiences then carry on doing what you're doing.
    Options
  • oddbasket
    oddbasket
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As far as queueing for a specified role in group finder, if as a DD, you can't provide sufficient dps to clear the run, then you've failed to live up to the role.

There are however different reasons where one can fail as a DD. You're inexperienced, or do not have proper gear, or you could be both but just do not care. A pvp player may may also pop in for the rewards without adjusting his character for lack of commitment to pve and be less than ideal or a solo player who sees outfitting for group content a waste of his time.

Herein lies the difference, the trolls who queue for the wrong roles aside, it's not up to others to define you as a fake just based on your DPS. It is with the mentality and level of commitment to the role you've queued for that defines you. A bad DD can improve given experience and better gear, someone content with underperforming for the role can't or won't.

You can help bad DDs improve, but the hardest thing to do is try to change someone's mindset when they're not open to it. It's like clicking on a 'Change My Mind' forum thread knowing full well it is bait.
    Options
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fake dds are a thing.
    I'm Sad to see this thread still going with its pseudo elitism and soft bigotry of generalizations against the player base. The more I reread the replies and quotes I received from this thread the more I realize the full extent of the arrogance of the "Fake DD exist" side. Let me break it down.
    great start of a post, turn to insults.
    The "fake DD does not exist": largely has one argument. You can not have a double negative. This means that anyone can be defined as DD. And being DD they exist on a spectrum from good DD to poor DD. That's it, the only real argument the encompasses they entirety of Fake DD does not exist.
    The "fake tank does not exist": largely has one argument. You can not have a double negative. This means that anyone can be defined as tank. And being tank they exist on a spectrum from good tank to poor tank. That's it, the only real argument the encompasses they entirety of Fake tank does not exist. /Sarcasm Well, I already explained to you how people generate agro by existing, right? So you know. No one is a fake tank. Only poor tanks.
    But when you look at the post in this thread that state fake DD do exist you have many different classifications that your side of the argument is using. And the worse part of your arguments is that you don't acknowledge the classification that others on your side of the argument used.
    yes, it is called opinions.
    Example there are post in this thread that define fake DD as:
    1. Players who do too little damage
    that's people simplifying the matter
    2. Players who looking to be carried
    how else will you call a dd that only bow light attacks in vDoM?
    3. Players that should have Q as healers or tanks that for some reason Q as DD
    so dds that queue as tank/healer are fake, but not the other way around?
    4. Players who wear sets you believe they should not
    this is plain wrong. It was players that wear non-damage oriented sets, or mismatched sets (meaning no set bonuses at all). Which is entirely different than "players who wear sets you believe they shouldn't". When I get a dd wearing ebon in vFV, I will leave.
    5. Players that are new or inexperienced.
    disagree
    6. Players that were rude to you or acting in a manner of trolling.
    you are simplifying it again. It was players that are supposed to deal damage, but will lash back at you when asked to deal damage. As an example, I was in moongrave fane once, the dds were bad. We somehow reached 2nd boss. I proceeded to explain that they need to deal damage to remove the bosses shield so we can pass it. (Or else he continues to deal damage and kills us all) the moment they ignored that, is when they are fake dds. They stopped dealing damage, and run around instead of staying near boss (so healer can heal them) and dealing damage. Btw, since they stopped dealing damage, they even pass YOUR definition of fake dds, since, they were dealing no damage
    7. Players who are obstinate in desiring not to meet your standards of how they should play
    since it is essentially the same as the previous point, see example above as well.
    8. Players that back bar snb or healing staffs
    well, as I already mentioned, it is all in the intent to accept responsibilities. While such a build can deal more damage than most pugs (I ain't even kidding)
    it only shows that they didn't plan on being built as a damage dealer.
    9. Players that are out DPSed by the tank (this is relatively new and due to certain sets some tanky builds can do enormous amounts of damage... aka necro tanks).
    no. This is not new. And more than that, you are missing the point. It was not players that deal less damage than the tank. It was players that deal less damage than a full support oriented tank which is entirely different.
    10. Players who are using the wrong skills.
    yes, spamming liquid lightning is not dealing damage, the same way casting it once and then standing there doing nothing for 9 seconds is not dealing damage for 9 seconds. But that by itself does not render them fake dds. Because as I already explained, multiple times, it is in the intent. If after being explained that it deals no damage, they proceed in doing that, only then, they are fake dds, because they are doing actions that will result in no damage, consciously.
    11. Players you have mind read to know that they Q as DD knowing they can not DD (because your psychic and they're peasants)
    see the example I gave at 2.
    12. Players who swaps their role to play with a friend
    so as long as we swap to play with a friend it is not fake healing nor fake tanking? Good to know.

Okay so that was a condensing of the many pro fake DD arguments. What Galls me though beyond the complete subjective-ness of the accusations. Is that many pro fake dd post explicitly say that one of the above arguments is not the argument of the thread. Such as "We are not talking about low DPS" when clear many pro fake DD are talking about low DPS among many other things.
    no, it was simplification of the arguments given here, and sometimes plain ignoring some of them.
    I will say it, the pro fake DD community are in my opinion poor company. I'm happy I have well run guilds and friends that I don't do my vets on random with out a pool of 40+ players to hop in with. Clearly some of you have demonstrated why you have to use vet Randoms with pugs. And that's sad, because I truly believe you could all be great, friendly players if you get off your high horses and toned it down just a notch.
    back to insults I see, ps, you are still demanding something from support roles while demanding nothing from dds, nor you ever talk with me about the examples I give, well, probably because you see me as an extremist troll that gives examples that don't really happen. (They do)
    There is no such thing as a fake DD, all of your above arguments do not equate to fake DD because you can not have a double negative.
    I mean, I have no idea how grammatical error of double negative has anything to do with "fake DDs" unless you see both fake and DD are negative in your opinion.

closing note:
    There is a spectrum of opinions on fake dds. same as there is a spectrum of opinions on tanks (some will consider dds with a taunt as fake tanks, , even if they hold boss in place, and go out of their way to chain adds in). Some people will believe fake dds exist, some won't. some will think that anything that doesn't hit hard enough is fake dd, some will only consider that bow light attack spammers are fake dds. taking the extremists of the spectrum and saying "they are not fake dds" while proceeding to call everyone who thinks fake dds exist arrogant, elitist, poor company, and more is not cool. If you want to have a civil discussion about those who have more moderate accusations towards fake dds, I will welcome it, but if you plan on just throwing insults under the disguise of giving arguments, I would like you to not derail the thread.
    Edited by zvavi on May 29, 2021 1:25PM
    Options
  • SickleCider
    SickleCider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Fake dds are a thing.
    1. People who lie about parses and fail to make that l33t DPS materialize in a trial
    1.5. . . . People who DO parse well, but use an extremely gimmicky setup as a crutch and fail to make that l33t DPS materialize in a trial
    2. People who get carried through content then go to zone chat to flex their skins on people
    3. People who link highly sought trial weapons and you can tell they just linked them from the collections menu

Basically, lots of people who are dishonest about their performance. If you're trying and come to the table without any intentionally misleading pretenses you're not fake, just perhaps need fine tuning.
    ✨🐦✨ Blackfeather Court Commission ✨🐦✨
    Options
  • ZOS_ConnorG
    Greetings all,

After review this thread has been closed as it has run its course and is beginning to devolve into non-constructive back and forths and unhelpful arguments.

You are welcome to review the Community Rules here.
    Options
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.