The Firesong DLC and Update 36 base game patch are now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 26:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 26
The maintenance is complete, and the PTS is now back online. Patch 8.2.1 including the Firesong DLC is now available to test!

PTS Update 30 - Feedback Thread for Companions

ZOS_GinaBruno
ZOS_GinaBruno
Community Manager
This is the official feedback thread for Companions. Specific feedback that the team is looking for includes the following:
  • General
    • Which areas or zones were you in with your companion?
    • What types of gameplay were you doing with your companion?
  • Interaction
    • Was it clear how to access the Companions interface?
    • Was the Companion ability system clear and intuitive to use?
    • Did your companion use the slotted abilities as you expected them to?
    • Did you feel the companion talked too much or too little in various circumstances?
  • Combat
    • What did you think of the Companion combat abilities in general? Were there any that felt too powerful or not powerful enough?
    • Were you able to configure your companion to perform the role you wished?
    • Were you able to effectively utilize keyboard/gamepad shortcuts to direct companion target behavior? (Hold Y and left click to attack vs Hold Y and right click to hold off)
  • Customization/Progression
    • How did the companion progression feel in terms of time to level up, advance skills, unlock abilities, improve rapport, or acquire equipment? Was the progress clear in terms of how to access everything?
    • Was the companion cosmetic customization experience clear and function as expected?
  • Rapport
    • Did you understand how to influence your companion through the rapport system?
    • Was it clear when rapport was being adjusted and why?
  • Do you have any other general feedback?
Edited by ZOS_GinaBruno on April 20, 2021 3:53PM
Gina Bruno
Senior Community Manager
Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
Staff Post
  • Sju
    Sju
    ✭✭✭✭
    Will companions unlock after you do the first quest, or is there a series of quests? It didn't make sense for Mirri to say "you can count on me for help...", then just disappears, and the system doesn't notify like "hey, you've unlocked companions, you can do this and that, etc..."
    I don't know if this is because it is already unlocked or you run into them later and do more quests? Any info on this? Possibly bugged?
  • GrumpyDuckling
    GrumpyDuckling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    • Were you able to configure your companion to perform the role you wished?

Not as effectively as I would have hoped.

I wished that I could equip my companions with gear sets that our own players wear. Giving our own gear to companions would create much more customization options, and those customization options would allow us to better equip our companions with gear catered to the roles that we wish them to perform.

Thanks.
    Edited by GrumpyDuckling on April 20, 2021 7:37PM
  • Epona222
    Epona222
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The interface is clunky, I say this every time about new UI elements that are introduced - I think there is a lack of understanding about what works well on PC with KB+M
    GM - Ghost Sea Trading Co - NA PC

Epona was a Romano-Celtic goddess dating back to around 1800 to 2000 years before computer games were invented.
  • katorga
    katorga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not on PTS yet, work an all, but did you use the SAME keys used to command pets for companions?

Will they switch targets with a heavy attack like existing pets?
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I made a template character, and called up Mirri.

I immediately got a notice that rapport had been lowered. Why?

I went into my CP interface, and spent a few points on healing.

I got a notice that rapport had been lowered again. Why?
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Skill cooldowns seem kind of extreme. Evidently companions will spend a lot of time with nothing to do.

At least, that's on the few skills I saw. It would be nice to have a template companion with more skills unlocked.

Also -- how many quests will we have to do to unlock guild skills? It's 10 for Level 1, I can see, but what happens after that?
  • Epona222
    Epona222
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Skill cooldowns seem kind of extreme. Evidently companions will spend a lot of time with nothing to do.

At least, that's on the few skills I saw. It would be nice to have a template companion with more skills unlocked.

Also -- how many quests will we have to do to unlock guild skills? It's 10 for Level 1, I can see, but what happens after that?

Where does it say it is 10 for level 1? In my companion UI it says complete "a" guild quest but I have done so (for both undaunted and mages guild) and those skill lines have not unlocked. Am I missing something?

Epona was a Romano-Celtic goddess dating back to around 1800 to 2000 years before computer games were invented.
  • Fischblut
    Fischblut
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I only tried Mirri, so all my answers are about her.

1) Which areas or zones were you in with your companion?

In Blackwood, in Vvardenfell.

2) What types of gameplay were you doing with your companion?

Riding, fishing, pickpocketing, killing innocent, killing mobs, coloring costumes.
    When we mount up, Mirri sometimes says "Lets' ride!" and "I was tired of walking anyway!" - it is nice :)

I wish my companion would be able to use "rearing up" animation on their mount when I'm using this on my mount as well. It could look awesome and be good for screenshots.

Mirri didn't say anything about any other activities we were doing together. Regarding criminal activities, she only once commented on me killing somebody's pig: "Ugh, if you are hungry, we can go find a bar" or something :D

3) Was it clear how to access the Companions interface?

Yes.

4) Was the Companion ability system clear and intuitive to use?

Not at first, but then I understood. I tried to click on empty ability slots from companion's main menu, but nothing happened. Then I had to go into other menu to actually see their available skills.

5) Did your companion use the slotted abilities as you expected them to?

I think yes... She even casted meteor on dead mob, it happens on live as well - when enemy dies while meteor is already flying. I can relate to that as player :D

6) Did you feel the companion talked too much or too little in various circumstances?

She didn't say lot of nice things, but I was annoyed by her "idle chat". We stand idling on our mounts, I choose angles for screenshots - and Mirri is bored and says something like: "Are we waiting for someone... something?"

If she will make such comments when I idle, I will very rarely use her - idling on my mount is important part of my gameplay. I often stand in scenic places on my mount and just look around. Having impatient companion is interfering with my peace of mind.

7) Were you able to effectively utilize keyboard/gamepad shortcuts to direct companion target behavior? (Hold Y and left click to attack vs Hold Y and right click to hold off)

Yes, sending my pet/companion into battle always feels good.
    Long time ago I used to play pet sorc, and commanding my clannfear to kill critters for me made me feel like huntmaster :)

8) Was the companion cosmetic customization experience clear and function as expected?

I was a bit confused at the outfit station, I couldn't understand how to choose companion's menu there. But after careful examination, I found the needed button.

I was extremely disappointed that we can't use polymophs/personalities/skins/hats/hair styles on our companions :/
    This limits customization greatly, and I will not be able to roleplay with my companion cause of it.

9) Did you understand how to influence your companion through the rapport system?

No. If I haven't seen preview streams and haven't read additional information on forums, I wouldn't even know what to expect from that. I think, after playing more someday, it will be easier to understand.

10)
    Was it clear when rapport was being adjusted and why?

No, same as previous question. When I killed livestock, Mirri commented on it, but I saw no change in rapport system. I have no idea if she was just joking, or disapproving my action.

11)
    Do you have any other general feedback?

Thank you fo letting our companions use our mounts <3 This is so far the only thing about companions which didn't disappoint me.

zmQyIOE.jpg
  • JoSePHRiNG
    JoSePHRiNG
    ✭✭✭
    First and foremost, I have never seen Mirri using her ultimate, maybe she did but I could not see, also the left box near the potion slottable which I assume to show her ultimate ability, I have never seen the number going up.

Companion abilities look cool but I did not try all of them yet so can't say much

I love how we can change the outfit or the costumes also the colors too I really liked that one.

But I could not understand the "Rapport System" she does not tell anything that I do as good or bad.
    I wish she and the other guy could tell us right away what they like or dislike maybe???

other than that I don't think I had enough experience to tell what could be improved.
    Jorvuld's Guidance and SPC all the way down.
  • lolo_01b16_ESO
    lolo_01b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The UI seems to be bugged, it always shows that my companion has 0 Ultimate, even right after she used the skill to get 50 ulti.
  • Lady_Rosabella
    Lady_Rosabella
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The UI seems to be bugged, it always shows that my companion has 0 Ultimate, even right after she used the skill to get 50 ulti.
    JoSePHRiNG wrote: »
    First and foremost, I have never seen Mirri using her ultimate, maybe she did but I could not see, also the left box near the potion slottable which I assume to show her ultimate ability, I have never seen the number going up.

Companion abilities look cool but I did not try all of them yet so can't say much

I love how we can change the outfit or the costumes also the colors too I really liked that one.

But I could not understand the "Rapport System" she does not tell anything that I do as good or bad.
    I wish she and the other guy could tell us right away what they like or dislike maybe???

other than that I don't think I had enough experience to tell what could be improved.

Same here, on both companions (I have Mirri and my Husband has Bastion) and their Ultimates stay at 0 and never go up, when you try to hit Y to use it, the game states they can not use their Ultimate.

Btw their skills are maxed and their Ultimates are slotted.
    Edited by Lady_Rosabella on April 21, 2021 12:09AM
  • katorga
    katorga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guild skill lines increase through completing specific solo daily quests associated with the guild, for the active companion.

Whoah.

What does this mean?

I have to do Undaunted, Dark Brotherhood, etc. all over again? Or are the new/separate skill lines?

Edited by katorga on April 21, 2021 2:05AM
  • Epona222
    Epona222
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    anadandy wrote: »
    Yes, though he drove me crazy chaining a monster just as I was winding up my HA :)

Tell me about it, this is an annoying ability when you come across newbies pretty much anywhere in Tamriel using chains to pull mobs out of my aoes and onto their poorly geared characters, seems like the worst possible skill to give to an Artificial Stupidity companion! Giving him talons so he could root mobs would be far far more useful.

Fortunately it can be taken off their skill bar once you unlock something more useful to put on there instead.

Honestly I would prefer more buffs/heals from them. If I could just set one to cast a shield and some sort of damage buff on me and refresh them when they ran out, that would be far more useful than pretending that they could actually help by attacking anything.
    Edited by Epona222 on April 21, 2021 2:14AM

• Epona222
    Epona222
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    nvm, I found it
    Edited by Epona222 on April 21, 2021 3:32AM