The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

PTS Update 30 - Feedback Thread for Companions

• Rkindaleft
    Rkindaleft
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What annoys me the most is that they're neither survivable nor good at the role they perform. Like, I wouldn't mind their 4k DPS (or role-equivalent job) if they could actually stay alive in anything more than Non-DLC Overland, the fact that they can do neither is an abomination.

Sure, you can make a reference to Hack's video and say "Look, here's a great companion build." But the truth is he picked a boss that has almost no significant AoE, Mirri was far and away from even getting hit by the boss and STILL needed to be babysat to make sure she didn't die from anything. 3 seconds after she started taking damage she was dead. The problem is that even with a Companion, you're not going to be able to solo anything that you wouldn't normally. A DPS Companion that dies to any attack is more of a hindrance than an assistance, even a support role companion is largely useless if they can't stay alive either.

I tried doing a few world bosses (base game zones only) on the PTS while having Bastion tanking. I'm a DPS main, yet still needed to spam heals so even the most basic of world bosses wouldn't put him in the floor every 20 seconds or so. These are bosses that I can solo myself even in a pretty squishy DPS setup even without a Pale Order ring.

I'm hoping but seriously doubting that any more changes will happen before it goes live, but I can see people using Companions for maximum 1 month (as they're the new flavour of the month) before they fall into obscurity for most players, bar non-combat roleplayers, which is not the intended and should not be the intended design.
    Edited by Rkindaleft on May 29, 2021 7:28AM
    https://youtube.com/@rkindaleft PlayStation NA. I upload parses and trial POVs sometimes.

Tic Tacs Tormentor | Immortal Beemer | Gryphon Fart | Codslayer | Yawnbringer | Drainsbreaker
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm hoping but seriously doubting that any more changes will happen before it goes live, but I can see people using Companions for maximum 1 month (as they're the new flavour of the month) before they fall into obscurity for most players, bar non-combat roleplayers, which is not the intended and should not be the intended design.

This is what I've been talking about it the other post I created. How it is quite apparent that the Companions were seriously nerfed even before release because ZOS gave into the fears that some people have put forth that Companions would replace players in content. Yet, all that fear was in part due to Rich's comments in interviews about how, with companions, that him and his wife could now duo group dungeons. Well, if that isn't suggesting to players that companions are meant as a player replacement, I don't know what is. So ZOS created this monster, as in the monster that made players fear being replaced, and they now are trying to save face by nerfing the companions into obscurity.
    CP: 1965 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • crazepdx
    crazepdx
    ✭✭✭✭
    ADarklore wrote: »

This is what I've been talking about it the other post I created. How it is quite apparent that the Companions were seriously nerfed even before release because ZOS gave into the fears that some people have put forth that Companions would replace players in content. Yet, all that fear was in part due to Rich's comments in interviews about how, with companions, that him and his wife could now duo group dungeons. Well, if that isn't suggesting to players that companions are meant as a player replacement, I don't know what is. So ZOS created this monster, as in the monster that made players fear being replaced, and they now are trying to save face by nerfing the companions into obscurity.

Idk. It's possible but that doesn't really explain the other gaping holes in the design. To me they feel either unfinished or like they were designed in a vacuum(by themselves only without consideration to the environment they will be used in). I have to be careful how I word this since the powers that be have already given me two strongly written warnings regarding my criticism of the companions design. The way inventory and gear acquisition is being implemented shows a disconnect from the problems people have in game already. Then there is the functionality problems. None of the problems by themselves would be off putting.
    Role players wouldn't care they aren't great in combat- they will care they have limited interaction and rp functionality.
    Solo players could get around the limited rp functionality- I do see them having a problem with the inventory
    It just feels like they have no ideal of the needs or wants of their target demographic for them.

So because of that they will be used for the buff then most likely put away by most of the player base.

Just my 2 gp.
  • SekaiXD
    SekaiXD
    ✭✭
    General
    Which areas or zones were you in with your companion?
    Blackwood, Vivec City, Reapers' March, and a few other zones
    What types of gameplay were you doing with your companion?
    In Blackwood, questing; in other zones, crafting, dolmens, public dungeons.
    Interaction
    Was it clear how to access the Companions interface?
    Took me a while to figure out I had to talk to her to see it. The rapport bar would be better with numbers or %.
    Was the Companion ability system clear and intuitive to use?
    Somewhat
    Did your companion use the slotted abilities as you expected them to?
    No idea. Don't see what she does when I'm fighting.
    Did you feel the companion talked too much or too little in various circumstances?
    Just right. Don't like chatty.
    Combat
    What did you think of the Companion combat abilities in general? Were there any that felt too powerful or not powerful enough?
    Couldn't tell.
    Were you able to configure your companion to perform the role you wished?
    I didn't do anything and she kept using her bow, which was fine.
    Were you able to effectively utilize keyboard/gamepad shortcuts to direct companion target behavior? (Hold Y and left click to attack vs Hold Y and right click to hold off)
    Didn't know you could do that. Where was that info?
    Customization/Progression
    How did the companion progression feel in terms of time to level up, advance skills, unlock abilities, improve rapport, or acquire equipment? Was the progress clear in terms of how to access everything?
    No. Seems like gaining rapport is random and I have no control over it. When I found the achievement for Mirri's favor, I took her to Vile Manse PD and killed all bosses on the main level (not in subterrainian area) and did not get credit for taking her to a PD. Also did both PDs in Blackwood, killing all bosses, but still no credit towards the achievement. Is it bugged or am I not doing something? For both Blackwood PDs I was doing it for the first time and did the quests as well. What more does she want?
    Was the companion cosmetic customization experience clear and function as expected?
    No. I expected the full outfit system.
    Rapport
    Did you understand how to influence your companion through the rapport system?
    No. Seems random.
    Was it clear when rapport was being adjusted and why?
    No. Seems random. I harvested a torchbug and lost rapport. She doesn't like alchemy or has a thing for bugs?
    Do you have any other general feedback?
    She annoyingly gets in the way a lot, and she dies a lot. The whole thing seems more trouble than it's worth.
  • LadySinflower
    LadySinflower
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm being driven nuts by Bastian. He keeps mourning me, but I'm not dead! He'll start out by screaming "No!" Next he'll threaten whatever supposedly killed me. Finally he'll walk around saying I was a good friend and will be remembered. Unsummoning him does not fix this. When he comes back (I summon him again) he starts again. Has anyone else had this problem? What do I do about it? Thank you.
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm being driven nuts by Bastian. He keeps mourning me, but I'm not dead! He'll start out by screaming "No!" Next he'll threaten whatever supposedly killed me. Finally he'll walk around saying I was a good friend and will be remembered. Unsummoning him does not fix this. When he comes back (I summon him again) he starts again. Has anyone else had this problem? What do I do about it? Thank you.

Have you tried killing yourself (and then rezzing)?
    PC EU