The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Missing Skill Point Investigation & Resolution

• Aram500
    Aram500
    ✭✭
    DewiMorgan wrote: »
    Aram500 wrote: »
    DewiMorgan wrote: »
    I'll get cracking on an addon to backup and restore skills and CP for all characters, when I get back from work in 5 hours.
    Hi, could you let us know please, when you have done this. I only have 7 alts, but could make life a lot easier :smile:

Not mine, but:
    https://www.esoui.com/downloads/info2901-CarosSkillPointSaver.html

The developer, "Irniben", writes:
    Irniben wrote:
    This addon is intended to save your skills and CPs before the upcoming update and, afterwards, put them back the way they were.

I shall stop work on my own addon, since they beat me to the punch :)

Big THANK YOU for the link!

Thank you for this addon. I would struggle to to play without the addons I use, so I really appreciate the extra mile you guys go for making them. :smile:
  • joerginger
    joerginger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the addon! :)
  • Girl_Number8
    Girl_Number8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone,

When we launched Update 28 on PC/Mac back in November, some of you ran into an issue where the Soul Trap or the Werewolf Ultimate skills had unmorphed. When attempting to re-morph these skills, they would continually reset and cause you to lose a skill point each time. Each attempt to refund missing skill points in subsequent incremental patches was unsuccessful. As we continued to further investigate the entirety of the issue, we discovered numerous other bugs that were contributing to a much larger and more extensive problem. In this post, we’ll elaborate on the current issues and how we plan to address them.

First, we need to take a step back and look at the skill system itself, which reallocates skill points in two different ways:
    • Respec-ing, which grants a full refund of all points based on system tracking, completely ignoring allocated points
    • Refunding, which measures allocations against expectations, and only returns points that are missing
    We introduced Refunding in 2018 when a change to the Werewolf passive Devour removed the purchase requirement, and instead automatically granted the ability when players first acquired the Werewolf skill line. At that time, we did not take measures to refund the point back to players who had already spent a skill point on it.

Fast forward to Update 28 in 2020, when a recent change to the way we count skill point allocations caused an issue where abilities that are automatically granted - but have purchasable morphs - were not correctly counted. This caused those abilities to reset back to their base state without refunding a point. We quickly addressed the issue to prevent players from losing more points, and with it, issued a skill point refund.

After this occurred, we continued to receive complaints that skill points were still not refunded. Upon further investigation, we suspected that some players actually had extra skill points for one reason or another – more than they should, and more than normal play would grant. This means when players lost a skill point, the system did not know to refund that missing point since they had extra points to begin with. To gather more information, we added some logging in an incremental patch to help us identify the players with extra skill points.

This brings us to today where we've identified an issue with the original addition of refunds. Since 2018, it appears that some players were erroneously granted extra skill points based on the number of Champion skills they purchased. Furthermore, our data shows that some players have earned more than 20 extra skill points this way that are unaccounted for by the refund system. The more Champion Points someone had, the more likely they were to encounter this issue. But to be clear, these are skill points that these players should not have been able to earn, and that are not obtainable by players through normal gameplay means.

To correct this issue and return us to a place where we can accurately give refunds when needed, we will push a full respec for skills and Champion Points to all players in Update 29. When that happens, all extra skill points should be removed from the game and all players will have access to the same amount of earnable skill points, as is intended. The amount of extraneous skill points we remove will range from 0 all the way up to 25, depending on skill allocation when these refunds were performed. We are taking additional steps to prepare for the future including improved logging for refunds, converting our refund process to match the respec process, and better precautions surrounding how we change existing skills.

We understand these actions may be pretty disruptive to your builds; to extend our apologies for all these issues, we’ll be offering a free Ambersheen Vale Fawn pet and free respecs for all players at the launch of Update 29.

@ZOS_GinaBruno could you give us an idea when Update 29 will be coming?

It would be nice to know far in advance for those of us that have quite a few accounts with all maxed out characters.

Thank you.
  • heaven13
    heaven13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    prof_doom wrote: »
    Possibly dumb question, but if this full respec sets us all back to zero (which I can't quite tell if that is what's going to happen), what's that going to ongoing research if the various research passives get set back to zero?

Research timers will not lose their "time" between the skill point reset and when you invest those points back into the passives, @prof_doom.

That functionality currently exists on Live ...

@ZOS_GinaBruno can someone please officially state if the characters with excess skill points are on PC or consoles or both, and (for PC players) if the real (official) total skill points available matches what the skill point addon finds?

This would allow PC players (at least) to find out in advance if they are likely to lose a bunch of skill points when update 29 comes out. Thanks!

It is possible to do your own "audit" of skill points on Live for tracking purposes, @Pyr0xyrecuprotite.

Head to the respec shrine and see how much gold it costs ... then divide the total by 50 (the amount of gold per skill point).

Then compare that total to the Ulrich's skill point add-on (or whatever add-on you use to keep track).

I don't think Ulrich's has been updated for Markarth yet. Just an FYI when doing a comparison.

Does this actually work? Because my skill respec costs 20,150 (divided by 50 = 403) but my Ulrich's gives me 431 and that's not even looking at Markarth.
    qsNRMdT.png
    PC/NA
    Mountain God | Leave No Bone Unbroken | Apex Predator | Pure Lunacy | Depths Defier | No Rest for the Wicked | In Defiance of Death
    Defanged the Devourer | Nature's Wrath | Relentless Raider | True Genius | Bane of Thorns | Subterranean Smasher | Ardent Bibliophile

vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vDSA | vMoL HM | vHoF HM | vAS+2 | vCR+2 | vBRP | vSS HM | vKA | vRG
    Meet my characters :
    IT DOESN'T MATTER BECAUSE THEY'RE ALL THE SAME NOW, THANKS ZOS
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @DewiMorgan - thanks for the info!
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    heaven13 wrote: »
    Possibly dumb question, but if this full respec sets us all back to zero (which I can't quite tell if that is what's going to happen), what's that going to ongoing research if the various research passives get set back to zero?

Research timers will not lose their "time" between the skill point reset and when you invest those points back into the passives, @prof_doom.

@ZOS_GinaBruno can someone please officially state if the characters with excess skill points are on PC or consoles or both, and (for PC players) if the real (official) total skill points available matches what the skill point addon finds?

This would allow PC players (at least) to find out in advance if they are likely to lose a bunch of skill points when update 29 comes out. Thanks!

It is possible to do your own "audit" of skill points on Live for tracking purposes, @Pyr0xyrecuprotite.

Head to the respec shrine and see how much gold it costs ... then divide the total by 50 (the amount of gold per skill point).

Then compare that total to the Ulrich's skill point add-on (or whatever add-on you use to keep track).

I don't think Ulrich's has been updated for Markarth yet. Just an FYI when doing a comparison.

Does this actually work? Because my skill respec costs 20,150 (divided by 50 = 403) but my Ulrich's gives me 431 and that's not even looking at Markarth.
    qsNRMdT.png

Skill respecs cost 50 gold per skill point invested, not earned.

Do you have unspent skill points on that toon?
    Edited by virtus753 on January 21, 2021 6:26AM
  • heaven13
    heaven13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    virtus753 wrote: »
    heaven13 wrote: »

qsNRMdT.png

Skill respecs cost 50 gold per skill point invested, not earned.

Do you have unspent skill points on that toon?

:headdesk:

Yep, that's it. I think she nearly 30 unspent points. Thank you!
    PC/NA
    Mountain God | Leave No Bone Unbroken | Apex Predator | Pure Lunacy | Depths Defier | No Rest for the Wicked | In Defiance of Death
    Defanged the Devourer | Nature's Wrath | Relentless Raider | True Genius | Bane of Thorns | Subterranean Smasher | Ardent Bibliophile

vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vDSA | vMoL HM | vHoF HM | vAS+2 | vCR+2 | vBRP | vSS HM | vKA | vRG
    Meet my characters :
    IT DOESN'T MATTER BECAUSE THEY'RE ALL THE SAME NOW, THANKS ZOS
  • Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can´t wait for ZOS to mess this up and have skillpoints that shouldn´t be lost, removed.
    Edited by Qbiken on January 21, 2021 12:11PM
  • FaceDancer
    FaceDancer
    ✭✭
    almost all of my 14 characters need a skills and cp reset then I don't get angry with them.
  • renne
    renne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Qbiken wrote: »
    Can´t wait for ZOS to mess this up and have skillpoints that shouldn´t be lost, removed.

Oh yeah, absolutely. And for us folks on console without a LOT of homework (i.e. going through achievements) we're probably never going to know because we don't have addons to tell us this info.
  • Ashtaris
    Ashtaris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    For months half of my 35 characters on two accounts have been broken because they were WW and lost all their morphs as well as all the skill points. Now the fix is to take away more points, force me to spend the better part of a year earning the skill points back on broken characters, go through an arduous process of documenting and reallocating 200 to 300 skill points per character, and still have to re-earn the morphs on my WW characters. This is simply too much for me.

So far as I know, I never got unearned SP - I tracked my own progress. If I am to lose SP that I am pretty sure I earned, that seems like a penalty to players because the dev team made mistakes along the way. In such a case the right answer would be to start off every when a base of 25 SP to put everyone on the same footing and then adjust the system so that nobody ends up getting seriously hurt by this attempted fix.

If it turns out that I am supposed to spend weeks rebuilding my characters and months earning SP that I thought I had legitimately earned, then how would I have time to enjoy the next year's new content? Or any events? Or even the game itself? Seriously, this is a real game-breaker!!

As to the pet - I don't need another pet and it in no way comes remotely close to being a reward for putting up with this kind of nonsense.

I started playing with the Beta and have been a steadfast and loyal customer for all those years. This is my reward? Having to rebuild every character and re-earn skill points while playing with broken builds and missing the new fun stuff because I am paying for developer mistakes?

Please give this a rethink folks.

I have to agree, this is ridiculous. I only have 12 or so characters, but each of them are max level with a considerable amount of skill points, especially for crafting. It will take me hours to reallocate all the points. @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_RichLambert, keep your damn pet but figure something else out, PLEASE.
  • griffn
    griffn
    ✭✭
    When you say "the same amount of earnable skill points, as is intended" I am assuming you are taking in to account of the mage guild quests finale right?
  • Hallothiel
    Hallothiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    For months half of my 35 characters on two accounts have been broken because they were WW and lost all their morphs as well as all the skill points. Now the fix is to take away more points, force me to spend the better part of a year earning the skill points back on broken characters, go through an arduous process of documenting and reallocating 200 to 300 skill points per character, and still have to re-earn the morphs on my WW characters. This is simply too much for me.

So far as I know, I never got unearned SP - I tracked my own progress. If I am to lose SP that I am pretty sure I earned, that seems like a penalty to players because the dev team made mistakes along the way. In such a case the right answer would be to start off every when a base of 25 SP to put everyone on the same footing and then adjust the system so that nobody ends up getting seriously hurt by this attempted fix.

If it turns out that I am supposed to spend weeks rebuilding my characters and months earning SP that I thought I had legitimately earned, then how would I have time to enjoy the next year's new content? Or any events? Or even the game itself? Seriously, this is a real game-breaker!!

As to the pet - I don't need another pet and it in no way comes remotely close to being a reward for putting up with this kind of nonsense.

I started playing with the Beta and have been a steadfast and loyal customer for all those years. This is my reward? Having to rebuild every character and re-earn skill points while playing with broken builds and missing the new fun stuff because I am paying for developer mistakes?

Why would you have to spend months earning skill points back? You will have just to re-allocate them. It’s a pain, yes, but not that huge an imposition.
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hallothiel wrote: »

Why would you have to spend months earning skill points back? You will have just to re-allocate them. It’s a pain, yes, but not that huge an imposition.

Some people will actually lose points and have to re-earn them. Depending on the situation, it could take months.

It depends how many skill points you already have and how many you lose as a result of this recalculation. Gina was clear that some players will have skill points taken away—potentially over 20 points that some people currently have and may have invested.

If people have already earned most of the quicker ones to earn, or already have all legitimately obtainable points, and then have those extra points removed (20 is a lot to miss if all those points are invested), it would come down to grinding out the more time-consuming ones (e.g. higher ranks of PvP) or even waiting on new DLC to come out in order to get back to their current totals.

That doesn’t mean they should keep what they haven’t legitimately earned, but neither was it right to have let them get so many points by mistake and to have let them think they have earned more points than they have. Removing the illegitimately obtained points is the most equitable solution in the grand scheme of things, but the fact of the matter is that some people will have to invest time and/or money to get back to the SP count they’re at now. That’s understandably not going to sit well with everyone, even if it’s necessary to be fair.

(I say that as someone who’s about to hit CP1350 and may well have those extra 20-odd points to return to the ZOSRS.)
  • Sarannah
    Sarannah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Instead of a full SP/CP reset in an update, could you maybe give us the option to fully reset our characters SP/CP one by one in-game right now(with SP/CP check enabled, so they are no longer bugged). Then give us till the reset update to respec character by character, and to not have those characters their SP/CP reset with the update, as they are already fixed. This would give players more time to fix their characters one by one, instead of all at once.

And please make skillpoint-changes/CP-changes free in-game, for atleast 3 to 5 days after the reset update. So we can fix mistakes, wrong morphs, too few points, and wrong placements for free. I know I'm going to mess up something by accident!

Resetting all character's skillpoints and CP-points at once, is a bad idea. Just for skills: We use 10 skills, I have 18 characters(luckily I singlebar most of them). This is 180 skills to remember for regular players. Add remembering skillmorphs to that amount, and it becomes 360 skills to remember per character. Not to mention other skillpoints and 18 x 810 championpoints.
    Edited by Sarannah on January 24, 2021 9:12PM
  • renne
    renne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Some people will actually lose points and have to re-earn them. Depending on the situation, it could take months.

It's a bug, though, so they're not "re-earning" anything. They never earned them in the first place.
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    renne wrote: »

It's a bug, though, so they're not "re-earning" anything. They never earned them in the first place.

And if you read beyond the first paragraph, you will see that I have already said that nearly verbatim.

Moreover, the fact remains that people were *led to believe* they *had* earned those points, since the system awarded them with no realistic way for us to know it was in error, so it will indeed feel like “re-earning” them — or so I will say from my perspective, as I could very well lose 20 myself. (And I have only 10 left to earn in game on my main.)

ZOS’ mistake did not put any of us in an enviable position here.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

And if you read beyond the first paragraph, you will see that I have already said that nearly verbatim.

Moreover, the fact remains that people were *led to believe* they *had* earned those points, since the system awarded them with no realistic way for us to know it was in error, so it will indeed feel like “re-earning” them — or so I will say from my perspective, as I could very well lose 20 myself. (And I have only 10 left to earn in game on my main.)

If you only have 10 left you earn, you can very clearly check if you'll lose any. There's only 467 in the game... so if you have 457, you'll lose none, which is going to me the most likely scenario.

I have almost 2000 CP and all my characters are spot on, I won't be losing any skill points.
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    61,215 achievement points
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    tmbrinks wrote: »

If you only have 10 left you earn, you can very clearly check if you'll lose any. There's only 467 in the game... so if you have 457, you'll lose none, which is going to me the most likely scenario.

I have almost 2000 CP and all my characters are spot on, I won't be losing any skill points.

467 for post-Morrowind characters?
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

467 possible. Including the 1 from the tutorial and the 2 from the mage's guild.

So a pre-morrowind character who didn't get the 2 in the mage's guild would have a max of 464 (which is sadly what my main is... :disappointed: )
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    61,215 achievement points
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hotdog_23 wrote: »
    Aliyavana wrote: »
    When you push the patch, can you make it so that Chapter tutorials dont give a skillpoint? It has been since Morrowind (2017) that characters created prior to owning a chapter have reported missing a skillpoint, since chapter tutorials give out a skillpoint, and characters created after owning a chapter can also do the original Soul Shrivren in Coldharbour tutorial for another skillpoint. That option isn't available for pre-chapter characters. Remove the skillpoint from the Chapter tutorials, or give all pre-chapter characters that skillpoint.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/374410/skillpoint-from-morrowind-tutorial-unobtainable-for-toons-created-before-morrowind-change-please/p1
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/404450/major-oversight-summerset-tutorial-missable-skillpoint-feedback/p1
    This seems like a good time to finally address this issue.
    This is a good point actually. They did state originally right back when we first found that skill point in the Morrowind tutorial that you were only supposed to get one Tutorial Skill Point (so if you got the Morrowind one, you wouldn't get the Wailing Prison one).

Now's the time to remove that second Tutorial skill point that was never supposed to exist.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • kirgeo
    kirgeo
    ✭✭✭
    Enodoc wrote: »
    When you push the patch, can you make it so that Chapter tutorials dont give a skillpoint? It has been since Morrowind (2017) that characters created prior to owning a chapter have reported missing a skillpoint, since chapter tutorials give out a skillpoint, and characters created after owning a chapter can also do the original Soul Shrivren in Coldharbour tutorial for another skillpoint. That option isn't available for pre-chapter characters. Remove the skillpoint from the Chapter tutorials, or give all pre-chapter characters that skillpoint.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/374410/skillpoint-from-morrowind-tutorial-unobtainable-for-toons-created-before-morrowind-change-please/p1
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/404450/major-oversight-summerset-tutorial-missable-skillpoint-feedback/p1
    This is a good point actually. They did state originally right back when we first found that skill point in the Morrowind tutorial that you were only supposed to get one Tutorial Skill Point (so if you got the Morrowind one, you wouldn't get the Wailing Prison one).

Now's the time to remove that second Tutorial skill point that was never supposed to exist.

They might remove the skill point from the extra tutorial? Hopefully i don't end up loosing a second skill point. Where was this mentioned to not give a second skill point?
  • renne
    renne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

You guys really want to punish brand new players over one skill point, hey. Especially when you'd have more than enough on a toon from pre-Morrowind.
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    *shrug* I don't have an issue over a skill point. It doesn't matter to me what they do about that.
  • silvereyes
    silvereyes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Unsurprisingly, Superstar is completely busted on PTS, with the Champion Point 2.0 revamp. Fingers crossed that it will be patched to at least allow importing skill points from favorite builds.
  • kirgeo
    kirgeo
    ✭✭✭
    My missing skill point seems to have been refunded in the PTS. Soul Trap skill is still unmorphed and lvl 1. Not a big deal leveling it back up.
    Hopefully it makes it to live without issues.
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I checked out the PTS. All skill points are the same except my werewolf who got his missing point back. So all good on my end. I'm interested in finding out if anyone actually loses 20 points.
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

467 possible. Including the 1 from the tutorial and the 2 from the mage's guild.

So a pre-morrowind character who didn't get the 2 in the mage's guild would have a max of 464 (which is sadly what my main is... :disappointed: )

So both the respec shrine on live and my own manual count are telling me I have 414 invested. Add that to my 44 unspent, and I have 458 skill points. But I am 100.0% sure I’m missing 10 (9 PvP and 1 from vateshran), which would be a maximum of 468. That shouldn’t be possible on any toon, much less my pre-Morrowind main.

Yet on PTS tonight — lo and behold, 458 intact skill points waiting for me to spend. And still missing the 10.

I thought I owed 2, but if they really don’t want them back...
    Edited by virtus753 on January 28, 2021 8:17AM
  • kirgeo
    kirgeo
    ✭✭✭
    Vateshran Hollows doesn't have a skill point as far as I know. If you are on PC recommend using the skill point finder addon. It has Reach update in the comments section.
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kirgeo wrote: »

They might remove the skill point from the extra tutorial? Hopefully i don't end up loosing a second skill point. Where was this mentioned to not give a second skill point?

They didn't specifically say that, Aliyavana was just commenting on the fact that this was a good opportunity to remove a Skill Point that they said was never supposed to exist.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp