The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Missing Skill Point Investigation & Resolution

• virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    kirgeo wrote: »
    Vateshran Hollows doesn't have a skill point as far as I know. If you are on PC recommend using the skill point finder addon. It has Reach update in the comments section.

Interesting. I was told that by a friend of mine who swore they got it from there. Why would Maelstrom give a skill point and not Vateshran? They’re both solo arenas (and both locked behind DLC, not that that should make a difference).

If that’s true, that would still put me at a possible max (on live) of 467 SP on a toon that’s supposed to have a cap of 466.

ETA:

Urich’s with the update claims there are actually 468 points available on a post-Morrowind toon. It’s still missing the Folium on my main, who has 458 points now invested (Urich’s reports 456). My main is missing 9 Cyro points and the 1 from the tutorial. (Vateshran Hollows is not listed in the updated Urich’s, and I haven’t gotten around to it yet. If it’s indeed lacking a skill point that is hugely inconsistent with Maelstrom.)
    Edited by virtus753 on January 31, 2021 9:04AM
  • LadyDestiny
    LadyDestiny
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So I was gone during greymore when they had the vamp update. I just came back to the game and noticed all those skill points were reset, but did not get them back. Are you saying update 29 will correct this then and I will get them back?
  • bradams
    bradams
    So I was gone during greymore when they had the vamp update. I just came back to the game and noticed all those skill points were reset, but did not get them back. Are you saying update 29 will correct this then and I will get them back?

As far as I understood from the opening post, nobody will be gaining any skillpoints out of this. From what I read, it sounded like if you are still missing any points, its because you had at least that many skillpoints extra from this "bug". So if you remorphed soul trap or werewolf 10 times for whatever reason when it was bugged, and those 10 points were not given back in any of the updates after the bug was found, its because you had at least 10 extra skill points.

It sounds fishy to me, considering I started playing a new character in October right before this all started, and only got her to level 50 around mid-November, with barely 100 skillpoints by the time these skill point bugs made me quit, and I re-morphed once before learning it was a bug (so I'm down 1 from soul trap and 2 from werewolf) and got none back. So apparently, on a month old character with barely any skill points, and spending them the absolute second I get them cause I'm trying to make a legitimate build, I'm being told I somehow just didn't notice magically gaining at least 3 extra skillpoints while leveling up.
  • Sju
    Sju
    ✭✭✭✭
    bradams wrote: »

As far as I understood from the opening post, nobody will be gaining any skillpoints out of this. From what I read, it sounded like if you are still missing any points, its because you had at least that many skillpoints extra from this "bug". So if you remorphed soul trap or werewolf 10 times for whatever reason when it was bugged, and those 10 points were not given back in any of the updates after the bug was found, its because you had at least 10 extra skill points.

It sounds fishy to me, considering I started playing a new character in October right before this all started, and only got her to level 50 around mid-November, with barely 100 skillpoints by the time these skill point bugs made me quit, and I re-morphed once before learning it was a bug (so I'm down 1 from soul trap and 2 from werewolf) and got none back. So apparently, on a month old character with barely any skill points, and spending them the absolute second I get them cause I'm trying to make a legitimate build, I'm being told I somehow just didn't notice magically gaining at least 3 extra skillpoints while leveling up.

I'm in kinda the same boat, I have a newer character that has legitimately earned skill points from level ups, and skyshard collecting, morphed the ult, then this fiasco happened and I never got my skill point back from ww ult morph. I wasn't even level 15 when I stopped playing this character because of it, pretty sure I was under 10 actually.
    There's no way this character was given a "glitched" skill point. I don't trust them fixing this at all, I only expect them to take away more legitimate points from people.
  • kirgeo
    kirgeo
    ✭✭✭
    I tried the new update on PTS. The skill point I lost was refunded there. Someone else also mentioned it fixed in PTS. Hopefully it comes to live without any problems.
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I logged in on PTS and it seems I got not one, but TWO skill points back... :D:joy:

I know I lost one due to a bug, so I was wondering where one "extra" came from. And then I realised - Werewolf's Devour passive once upon a time wasn't free. It required a skill point. So I got it refunded (finally after 3 years lol) altogether with the one I lost due to a bug... so 2. It all fits now. I hope once it goes live I will get the skill point(s) back ! :)
  • LadyDestiny
    LadyDestiny
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    bradams wrote: »

This really seems unlikely. For one I never morphed soul trap or werewolf that many times. I haven't even played in well over a year. I was not on to reset all my skill points before zos reset just the werewolf skill line which everyone knows that and vampire skills were notorious for not refunding your points if you didn't go reset all your skills first before curing. This just sounds like an excuse not to have to fix something that is clearly broken. I'll probably just wait till the cp update in march and reset everything then to see if I get them back.
  • Sarannah
    Sarannah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    May I request a small skill change: Make the fighters guild and mages guild skills "intimidate" and "persuade" into basic skills which do not need skillpoints. Like the thiefs guild spotting cache's and the dark bortherhood's blade of woe. So they are automatically set/usable when we join the mages/fighters guild. Thank you!
    Edited by Sarannah on February 11, 2021 11:04PM
  • Hotdog_23
    Hotdog_23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sarannah wrote: »
    May I request a small skill change: Make the fighters guild and mages guild skills "intimidate" and "persuade" into basic skills which do not need skillpoints. Like the thiefs guild spotting cache's and the dark bortherhood's blade of woe. So they are automatically set/usable when we join the mages/fighters guild. Thank you!

This would be a nice QOL especially since it is not used very much.

Stay Safe :)
  • Zodiarkslayer
    Zodiarkslayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hotdog_23 wrote: »

I have to disagree on that. QoL is nice, but intimidation comes with a stamina cost reduction for FG abilities.
    There is no sense in having that unlocked right away.
    read, think and write.In that order.
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I have to disagree on that. QoL is nice, but intimidation comes with a stamina cost reduction for FG abilities.

There's a mid-way point here that would be nice to more closely parallel previous TES games - in those, Persuade and Intimidate are based on a Speechcraft skill, and can fail. While there's no direct equivalent here, if there were two or three levels of Persuade and Intimidate, it would be closer to those, as unlocking additional ranks would make those Persuade and Intimidate checks more likely to succeed. The first rank of these can be unlocked right away, while the second rank (where you would need to spend a skill point) would be the first one that provides the cost reduction.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • Hotdog_23
    Hotdog_23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

To be honest I didn’t even realize Intimidating Presence did that because the mages guild Persuasive Will does not, and you must spend another skill point to get the 15% off but you make a fair point about it. I am just so used to taking both passive on all my characters.
    Enodoc wrote: »

There's a mid-way point here that would be nice to more closely parallel previous TES games - in those, Persuade and Intimidate are based on a Speechcraft skill, and can fail. While there's no direct equivalent here, if there were two or three levels of Persuade and Intimidate, it would be closer to those, as unlocking additional ranks would make those Persuade and Intimidate checks more likely to succeed. The first rank of these can be unlocked right away, while the second rank (where you would need to spend a skill point) would be the first one that provides the cost reduction.

Don’t see them doing something like this now because they would have to go back and rewrite all the areas and do voices acting for all the times it did not work.

Stay safe and have fun :)
  • Sarannah
    Sarannah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Never knew that gives a stamina cost reduction. Anyways, it would still not be a big deal. But making persuade/intimidate not cost a skillpoint would be a nice QoL from ZOS. Making these older skilllines to match the newer skilllines, and basically giving players two skillpoints back.
  • Sju
    Sju
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is there an official date that update 29 is releasing in both PC and console? Can't seem to find it. Pts started on a Wednesday, so either it started late by a couple days or it started early, that leaves it hard to tell if it'll drop on the 9th or the 18th for console. The last time pts started late, there was only a week, instead of 2 between pc and console release.
  • Varana
    Varana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
  • mikikatze
    mikikatze
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    After this occurred, we continued to receive complaints that skill points were still not refunded. Upon further investigation, we suspected that some players actually had extra skill points for one reason or another – more than they should, and more than normal play would grant. This means when players lost a skill point, the system did not know to refund that missing point since they had extra points to begin with. To gather more information, we added some logging in an incremental patch to help us identify the players with extra skill points.

This brings us to today where we've identified an issue with the original addition of refunds. Since 2018, it appears that some players were erroneously granted extra skill points based on the number of Champion skills they purchased. Furthermore, our data shows that some players have earned more than 20 extra skill points this way that are unaccounted for by the refund system. The more Champion Points someone had, the more likely they were to encounter this issue. But to be clear, these are skill points that these players should not have been able to earn, and that are not obtainable by players through normal gameplay means.

I have not read this whole thread... just one question: I have also lost the werewolf ulti morph (ultimate has reset to 1) and have written with customer support three times now. After they didnÄt understand the first two times and blamed add ons on my third mail, I googled the issue and stumbled upon this thread.

I have a werewolf character which I started sometimes at the end of 2019 or beginning of 2020. I don't play her very often and have therefore not spent that many skillpoints, as I only wanted to test werewolf. She has reached level 50, though. Is it likely that she also got "too many skillpoints" somehow and therefore I have really lost that morph skillpoint? Or is this an issue that only happened to older characters?

I'm about to give up on writing with support anymore, as it seems quite pointless...
  • Varana
    Varana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    mikikatze wrote: »
    I have not read this whole thread... just one question: I have also lost the werewolf ulti morph (ultimate has reset to 1) and have written with customer support three times now. After they didnÄt understand the first two times and blamed add ons on my third mail, I googled the issue and stumbled upon this thread.

I have a werewolf character which I started sometimes at the end of 2019 or beginning of 2020. I don't play her very often and have therefore not spent that many skillpoints, as I only wanted to test werewolf. She has reached level 50, though. Is it likely that she also got "too many skillpoints" somehow and therefore I have really lost that morph skillpoint? Or is this an issue that only happened to older characters?

I'm about to give up on writing with support anymore, as it seems quite pointless...

Losing the WW morph, as I understand it, is not a sign that you had too many points, that happened to quite a few characters.
    But some players spent skill points to morph it again, only for it to be reset immediately, and the skill point vanished.
    They fixed that, and these players should've gotten their points back that they spent unsuccessfully re-morphing the skill.
    But if you had too many points, you didn't get any points refunded.
    So maybe, maybe not, but just the situation with having the skill reset, doesn't point to there being an issue with that character.

Disclaimer: IANA ZOS employee. :D
  • Sju
    Sju
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am now minus one skill point (maybe two) after update, my ww was barely new when you stole one from me in November and I never got one back when it was "corrected". My alt became ww in October...I've already morphed the ult twice since then. I knew you'd mess this up, because Zos cannot fix things correctly.
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got my missing skill point back (Finally lol). It took some time, but better late than never, right ? :D
  • renne
    renne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sju wrote: »
    I am now minus one skill point (maybe two) after update, my ww was barely new when you stole one from me in November and I never got one back when it was "corrected". My alt became ww in October...I've already morphed the ult twice since then. I knew you'd mess this up, because Zos cannot fix things correctly.

No, it just means you had skill points you didn't earn.
  • Sju
    Sju
    ✭✭✭✭
    renne wrote: »

My character was created in October, I made it ww on Oct 21st, I morphed my ult, the November update came, I lost my morph with the skill point. The "correction" update didn't do anything. I didn't have an extra skill point, there's no way I could have been given one! So this whole issue is a giant lie.
  • renne
    renne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

My character was created in October, I made it ww on Oct 21st, I morphed my ult, the November update came, I lost my morph with the skill point. The "correction" update didn't do anything. I didn't have an extra skill point, there's no way I could have been given one! So this whole issue is a giant lie.

If you think there's a genuine issue then you should submit a ticket.
  • Zabagad
    Zabagad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got all missing points back yesterday. 7 points on 5 char and all are ok now.
    PC EU (noCP AD) Grey/Grau AD
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Yes, if you think you are still missing a skill point, then submit a ticket. But, also be aware that while you may have lost a skill point due to WW bug, it's also possible that you also gained an extra skill point at some point prior that you shouldn't have. Maybe it just all evened out for you. You got back the SP you lost, but an "unearned" SP was removed.

Again, support should be able to take a closer look.
  • stuartx13
    stuartx13
    ✭✭✭
    I think its still not fixed today i put skill points into the last passive in the resto staff played. After going to a few zones the look and the points were gone.
  • Pyr0xyrecuprotite
    Pyr0xyrecuprotite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Weirdly enough, one of my characters (I haven't checked the others) still has more than 10 skill points after the update than USPF addon says he has earned. I'm assuming a couple of those might be from the Mage Guild questline, but... that's quite a discrepancy.
    Edited by Pyr0xyrecuprotite on March 13, 2021 12:10AM
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Weirdly enough, one of my characters (I haven't checked the others) still has more than 10 skill points after the update than USPF addon says he has earned. I'm assuming a couple of those might be from the Mage Guild questline, but... that's quite a discrepancy.

Have you updated USPF to reflect Markarth?

My (updated) version still shows I do not have the 2 mages guild points when I know I do on my main, so that part’s definitely unreliable regardless.
  • Sju
    Sju
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jayne_Doe wrote: »

Yes, if you think you are still missing a skill point, then submit a ticket. But, also be aware that while you may have lost a skill point due to WW bug, it's also possible that you also gained an extra skill point at some point prior that you shouldn't have. Maybe it just all evened out for you. You got back the SP you lost, but an "unearned" SP was removed.

Again, support should be able to take a closer look.

1) I already did, bringing up the attention here is also a good idea. 2) Read my post again, plus my reply, I shouldn't have an extra point as my character was created way after that supposedly happened.
  • krayphysh
    krayphysh
    ✭✭✭
    I took a two to three month break after years of playing only to log on to see what a mess ESO has made of my account. I can say for certain that I am missing tons (not literally tons, but enough to significantly get under my skin) of skill points on most of my alt toons. I have never gained a skill point that I didn't earn. I earned skill points during leveling toons through the main story lines, running through dungeons, playing in Cyrodiil, and purchasing skyshards from the crown store. Many of those skill points are now gone and my leveled skill lines greyed out as if I've never leveled them. I paid for my points in one way or another, whether by investing countless hours to my time or purchasing sky shards from the crown store. Where did this idea come from that some people had received skill points that they didn't earn? Do you have proof of this, or were some of us chosen at random to have points and skills revoked? I feel both ripped off and cheated of my very valuable time and hard earned cash. I don't have high expectations that this will be resolved any time soon, if at all... but I sincerely hope that this is corrected.
  • krayphysh
    krayphysh
    ✭✭✭
    Hopefully this works as intended because it sure has the potential for epic disaster. Guess I better take some screenshots now.

I wish I had know this was coming so that I could have taken screenshots as well. Hopefully ESO saved that information before revoking our skill points.