The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Missing Skill Point Investigation & Resolution

• DewiMorgan
    DewiMorgan
    ✭✭✭
    Aram500 wrote: »
    DewiMorgan wrote: »
    I'll get cracking on an addon to backup and restore skills and CP for all characters, when I get back from work in 5 hours.
    Hi, could you let us know please, when you have done this. I only have 7 alts, but could make life a lot easier :smile:

Of course :) I'll post in this thread, if it's still open; otherwise I'll post in another thread and tag you.
    Edited by DewiMorgan on January 14, 2021 1:04AM
  • Calm_Fury
    Calm_Fury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Starlock wrote: »
    NoSoup wrote: »
    No matter how much out announce this, a huge part of the playerbase will be caught off-guard.

Not likely.

As someone else already mentioned, this is not the first time they've done skill resets. What they've done in the past is put up a very noticeable announcement on the login screens for a couple weeks or so before the patch drops. Anyone who plays the game regularly will see it. Those who don't play the game regularly, well... that's beyond the company's control and there's not much they can do about that.

That is really easy to see.

Let's just wait for the patch to hit live and check the front page of the forums.

I bet you that it will be the exact same thing as when they removed Rapids from most players. There were about 50 topics a day about it.

People created topics so fast that the mods couldn't even close them fast enough without 1/3 of the front page being about that skill for the first day.
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Big ouch...I recall being told I was wrong when changing races and this occurred waaaay back when race change was rolled out.

Great to see I wasn’t wrong but also interesting to learn I could somehow have gained points I shouldn’t have had

-PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • renne
    renne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Big ouch...I recall being told I was wrong when changing races and this occurred waaaay back when race change was rolled out.

Great to see I wasn’t wrong but also interesting to learn I could somehow have gained points I shouldn’t have had

And through a way it's not actually possibly to get skill points.
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hope we'll be able to opt out from getting "zos apology pet" for once.
  • radiostar
    radiostar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I recall turning in a writ and hitting an achievement, and then a screen message of earning a new champ point to spend. I thought maybe the cap had been raised and immediately spent it into the map. So I guess that's part of what they're talking about.
    xtracp.png
    Edited by radiostar on January 15, 2021 4:42PM
    "Billions upon Billions of Stars"
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    renne wrote: »

And through a way it's not actually possibly to get skill points.

Yeah I’m not sure how to respond on that. I read the announcement a few times and have just decided to accept their statement.

I didn’t win my argument with support last time and even Gina B helped escalate the ticket. I took months away as a result and later purchased the newer CE edition for PC...didn’t get the content correct so there’s an issue still today.

All in all it’s been a show of mistakes, errors with no one willing to admit fault and work to resolve things properly.

This game has become one of those games I play for 10 - 60 days or so then step away after small DLC PvE content is experienced.
    Edited by NewBlacksmurf on January 14, 2021 12:49PM
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • LordArconSeptim
    LordArconSeptim
    ✭✭✭
    Ackwalan wrote: »
    Thanks for the update. Not looking forward to putting all those skill points back in, but it's just something that has to be done.

Exactly because of such people we have problems. Read his sentence and think twice.
  • Inaya
    Inaya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So any skill points not spent will be considered "extra" and taken away? I'm confused!
  • Luke_Flamesword
    Luke_Flamesword
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    So any skill points not spent will be considered "extra" and taken away? I'm confused!
    Nope, only if you have "bugged" extra points, they (the bugged ones) will be taken.
    PC | EU | DC |Stam Dk Breton
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does:

To correct this issue and return us to a place where we can accurately give refunds when needed, we will push a full respec for skills and Champion Points to all players in Update 29.

Result in that all skill points get reset and we have to memorize, write down, take screenshots or use an addon to set them again?
    Well, don't pug that day :)
    First time I saw this and tend to be on forum daily. Causual players will be up for a shock :open_mouth:

Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • vivisectvib16_ESO
    vivisectvib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What happens to the unused skill points I've been holding onto for one reason or another. Those had better still be there after this update...
  • Ackwalan
    Ackwalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What happens to the unused skill points I've been holding onto for one reason or another. Those had better still be there after this update...

The only skill points that will be removed are the ones that a CP bug (if that's what we can call it) gave you. If all your skill points were from skyshards, levels, and quest any unused skill points will still be there.

I did the skillpoint reset check, cost of reset divide by 50 = # of skillpoints, and came up with 463. I then checked ulricks skillpoint finder and got 453 so it looks like I might be losing 10 points. I have about 1700 CP and have long since stopped paying attention to the CP level up. I hear it go off but don't look to see what it says, so it's possible that 10 points got slipped in without me noticing.
  • Calm_Fury
    Calm_Fury
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The only skill points that will be removed are the ones that a CP bug (if that's what we can call it) gave you. If all your skill points were from skyshards, levels, and quest any unused skill points will still be there.

I did the skillpoint reset check, cost of reset divide by 50 = # of skillpoints, and came up with 463. I then checked ulricks skillpoint finder and got 453 so it looks like I might be losing 10 points. I have about 1700 CP and have long since stopped paying attention to the CP level up. I hear it go off but don't look to see what it says, so it's possible that 10 points got slipped in without me noticing.

Damn, maybe there is a good quick addon idea until we wait, at least so we can know the skill points that will be gone easily.
  • Glaiceana
    Glaiceana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thank you for the update! It's great to know that you have found the depths of the issue, and fingers crossed it can all be sorted for everyone in Update 29! Good luck devs! :)
    Priests of Hircine
    Werewolves who bite for FREE! PC/EU
    Our total free bites: 7000+
    Guild Subreddit | Forum Thread | YouTube Playlist
    Total Champion Points: 1000+
    Main Character: Ithaera - Stam DK, Nord, Female, DD, Werewolf.
    Rothelnog - Stam NB, Orc, Male, DD, Werewolf.
    J'Xena - Mag DK, Khajiit, Female, DD, Werewolf.
    Dances-With-Frost-Dragons - DK, Argonian, Male, Tank, Werewolf.
    Raziel The Paradox - Mag TP, Dark Elf, Male, DD, Vampire.
    Swims-Through-Starlight - TP, Argonian, Female, Healer, Werewolf.
    Glaicean Mag Ward, High Elf, Male, Ice DD, Werewolf.
    Hjurne Hircine's Forsaken - Sorc, Redguard, Male, PvP DD, Werewolf.
    My Total Free Werewolf Bites: 400+ (Ask me about bites if you need one!)
    Playing since July 2015!
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

USPF doesn't have any of the skill points from Markarth in there. So you're missing the 10 from there from your 453

So your 463 is accurate. (Assuming you've done the Markarth DLC of course)
    Edited by tmbrinks on January 15, 2021 1:18AM
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    61,215 achievement points
  • Almakor
    Almakor
    ✭✭✭
    So in short I didn't get my skill point back because I WASN'T SUPPOSED TO HAVE IT IN THE FIRST PLACE? And BECAUSE I WASN'T SUPPOSED TO HAVE IT IN THE FIRST PLACE it will NOT be refunded?
  • renne
    renne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Almakor wrote: »
    So in short I didn't get my skill point back because I WASN'T SUPPOSED TO HAVE IT IN THE FIRST PLACE? And BECAUSE I WASN'T SUPPOSED TO HAVE IT IN THE FIRST PLACE it will NOT be refunded?

Yes. Because you already had at least one skill point you shouldn't have had.
  • Hotdog_23
    Hotdog_23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Oh dark and bloody moons! This one has 18 full CP characters! YIkes.

Me too and on console so no add-on hand holding. Time to take a lot of pictures I guess :D

Stay safe and have fun :)

edit spelling
    Edited by Hotdog_23 on January 15, 2021 5:29AM
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope, only if you have "bugged" extra points, they (the bugged ones) will be taken.
    I hope so. Urich's Skill Point Finder (addon shows where you got skill points from, zone quests, skyshards etc):

https://www.esoui.com/downloads/info1863-UrichsSkillPointFinder.html

...shows that I should have... 3 more than I have curently (apparently it counts Folium Discognitum as default, even if you did not chosen to read it). But that still means that I should have 1 more skill point than I curently have - and it would kinda "fit" as I know I am missing one.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope so. Urich's Skill Point Finder (addon shows where you got skill points from, zone quests, skyshards etc):

...shows that I should have... 3 more than I have curently (apparently it counts Folium Discognitum as default, even if you did not chosen to read it). But that still means that I should have 1 more skill point than I curently have - and it would kinda "fit" as I know I am missing one.

USPF checks for the Folium Discognitum by comparing the number of skill points you have to the number of skill points you should have through achievement tracking. If there's a difference of 2, it gives you credit for that.

So yes, this bug, where you have extra, unaccounted for skill points, could mess up USPF's calculation of the Folium Discognitum.
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    61,215 achievement points
  • Inaya
    Inaya
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you! All of mine are from leveling, questing, skyshards, etc so then all mine should remain untouched. *crossesfingers*.

This whole thing just seems like it has the possibility to go VERY wrong LOL
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tmbrinks wrote: »

USPF checks for the Folium Discognitum by comparing the number of skill points you have to the number of skill points you should have through achievement tracking. If there's a difference of 2, it gives you credit for that.

So yes, this bug, where you have extra, unaccounted for skill points, could mess up USPF's calculation of the Folium Discognitum.

Well, maybe but the add-on still counts more skill points than I have lol... So I don't think I have any "extra" skill points...
    I know for 100% that I am missing one, so maybe that is what is "confusing" the add-on.
    Edited by Tommy_The_Gun on January 15, 2021 3:36PM
  • bradams
    bradams

That is as far as I am understanding it too. I don't feel like it makes sense, since I made and leveled the affected character throughout this September/October and didn't get enough skill points to where I wasn't just using them as I got them, so I would have remembered opening my skill sheet as soon as I got my 3rd skyshard and going "oh, that one magically gave me 2 this time, cool!" but, that is what is being told to us here.

I don't completely buy it, because iv seen people claim that they didn't know about the bug and lost up to 8 skill points from re-morphing both soul trap and werewolf multiple times, and EVERY one of those people only remorphed extra skill points? I feel like there would have been at least 1 case where somebody had remorphed multiple times before knowing it was bugged and lost say, 6 skill points, but only had 3 extra from this Champion Point bug, and would have reported only getting half of them back.

Unless of course, this is a misunderstanding of what the case is, but I asked about this earlier in the thread and got no response so this is what I am assuming it to be. That everyone who still had missing skillpoints, somehow all had the exact amount of extra skill points as however many times they mistakenly remorphed the bugged skills.
  • Techwolf_Lupindo
    Techwolf_Lupindo
    ✭✭✭
    What about the reward from the quest "The Mad God's Bargain", "Folium Discognitum". Do we lose those 2 skill point permially after update 29? One can not re-do the quest to get those 2 skill points back.
  • kirgeo
    kirgeo
    ✭✭✭
    What about the reward from the quest "The Mad God's Bargain", "Folium Discognitum". Do we lose those 2 skill point permially after update 29? One can not re-do the quest to get those 2 skill points back.

You won't loose the skill points. ZOS will be refunding/resetting the character skill point "allocation". Hopefully they don't mess it up. I am legitimately missing a skill point.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If this makes sense...

You had extra skill points from the bug. You will lose those skill points.
    You will get back the skill point that should have been refunded.

Yes, this is almost certainly be a net loss of skill points. But in the end, you'll have the skill points you earned and not the extra glitched ones.
  • Dark_Lord_Kuro
    Dark_Lord_Kuro
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Starlock wrote: »
    Fascinating - sometimes one problem can be a lot more complicated than it first appears, yeah?

For clarity's sake, @ZOS_GinaBruno - is this a PC/Mac only issue? We console players are not on something called "Update 28" (our versions are named differently) so I do not want to assume that any of this applies to us. Was this also an issue on Playstation and Xbox? If so, would we be getting the forced respec as well during our next major update?

We are all on update 28 as update 28 is the base game stuff, balace, etc the released with markath
    What change is the patch number like 5.3.5 someother number
    Edited by Dark_Lord_Kuro on January 17, 2021 4:57AM
  • DewiMorgan
    DewiMorgan
    ✭✭✭
    I'll get cracking on an addon to backup and restore skills and CP for all characters, when I get back from work in 5 hours.
    Hi, could you let us know please, when you have done this. I only have 7 alts, but could make life a lot easier :smile:

Not mine, but:
    https://www.esoui.com/downloads/info2901-CarosSkillPointSaver.html

The developer, "Irniben", writes:
    Irniben wrote:
    This addon is intended to save your skills and CPs before the upcoming update and, afterwards, put them back the way they were.

I shall stop work on my own addon, since they beat me to the punch :)
    Edited by DewiMorgan on January 17, 2021 9:25PM
  • kain.winterhearteb17_ESO

Not mine, but:
    https://www.esoui.com/downloads/info2901-CarosSkillPointSaver.html

The developer, "Irniben", writes:
    Irniben wrote:
    This addon is intended to save your skills and CPs before the upcoming update and, afterwards, put them back the way they were.

I shall stop work on my own addon, since they beat me to the punch :)

Big THANK YOU for the link!