The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Fake Tanking

• hexentb16_ESO
    hexentb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    I faketank 24/7

Why? Because i can . Normal random queue as a tank => 5seconds , normal queue as a dd => sometimes over 20minutes or longer.

In that time i could fake tank 3 dungeons, even if i fail one. Its still worth it more then randomly waiting somewhere for an hour.

That said, as a magsorc (with ward and critical surge ) bosses dont even touch me on normal.

Vet i mostly play dd or premade. But for random normals, i really dont care. Having a tank is actually a lot slowers. Ill take 4dds over 2 dds a tank and a heal any day for normals.

High dps dds, lets say 80, 90k dps can even 4man dd VET trials. The ideal team imo is 3 dds 90k dps and 1 healer

I dps too. It aint that bad just go do other stuff while you wait for a proper role. Writs, dailies, quests, chatting with your mates, etc. If you don't slot a taunt while Q'ing as a tank you shouldn't even consider letting down the group by fake tanking just because you're impatient. Or just make a solo alt and do it by yourself.
  • KaGaOri
    KaGaOri
    ✭✭✭✭
    Fake Tanking is OK for Normal dungeons. I fake tank, do like 70-%80% of the groups DPS, we clear it really fast. If anything I am doing the people leveling their toons a favor.

This works only if everyone in group runs the dungeon purely to get xp. Consider:

- ppl runing dungeon because they enjoy running a dungeon
    - ppl doing a quest there - and unable to complete it because someone started next boss, or even first mob (looking at you Selene's web) before they had chance to speak with quest npc
    - ppl wanting to learn mechanics, so they can go in vet next
    - ppl wanting to practise their role so they can go in vet next

For any of those folks the run just got wasted. Also, if tank does 70-80% of damage, do you think the dd(s) will think: "Wow, we just got carry from mr. high level nice guy"? Hell no! They think: "Wow, I must be really good dps / this must be really easy dungeon - let's head over to vet this instant!" Cue angry post here about how dd in vet does hardly any damage.
    Edited by KaGaOri on October 27, 2020 9:21PM
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    KaGaOri wrote: »
    Fake Tanking is OK for Normal dungeons. I fake tank, do like 70-%80% of the groups DPS, we clear it really fast. If anything I am doing the people leveling their toons a favor.

This works only if everyone in group runs the dungeon purely to get xp. Consider:

- ppl doing a quest there - and unable to complete it because someone started next boss, or even first mob (looking at you Selene's web) before they had chance to speak with quest npc

For any of those folks the run just got wasted. Also, if tank does 70-80% of damage, do you think the dd(s) will think: "Wow, we just got carry from mr. hig level nice guy"? Hell no! They think: "Wow, I must be really good dps / this must be really easy dungeon - let's head over to vet this instant!" Cue angry post here about how dd in vet does hardly any damage.
    This:
    Note, this will get worse. next week you will get 10 transmute crystals doing an random normal or vet dungeon.
    5 for each HM pledge.
    Obvious solution is to queue as tank for random vet :open_mouth:
    As an magic build there you you could easy do an dd/ healer setup who would worked.

Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • renne
    renne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

For any of those folks the run just got wasted. Also, if tank does 70-80% of damage, do you think the dd(s) will think: "Wow, we just got carry from mr. hig level nice guy"? Hell no! They think: "Wow, I must be really good dps / this must be really easy dungeon - let's head over to vet this instant!" Cue angry post here about how dd in vet does hardly any damage.

Yeah this, and especially for people doing the quest (for xp AND a skill point), being rushed through because some fake tank/the other players want to speedrun the entire thing like there aren't also other people in the group is not actually doing "the people levelling their toons as favour".

If I see someone pick up the quest I always hang back with them to make sure they have a chance to complete it since I know a lot of quests require waiting around for an NPC to eventually turn up.

Same with rushing through and skipping bosses. You don't know what the rest of the group configuration is, whether it's someone who's run the dungeon 20 times or someone on their first run, if you want to do that at least have the courtesy to ask the rest of the group if they want to do that first. Because XP isn't the only thing you get out of doing dungeons. The achievements level Undaunted and by rushing through skipping bosses you're also not doing the people levelling their toons a favour because they're not getting the achievements.
  • svendf
    svendf
    ✭✭✭✭
    You can´t talk to fake tanks about consequences, that word doesn´t exist.

Now! 70-80 % of group dps ? In normal dungeon it´s round 15k-20k and that can be lower - much lower.

Now do the math. Many of these player´s he talks so warm about helping, will meet the wall later on in vet
  • Raideen
    Raideen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I fake tank every day I play, I don't do it intentionally though. An AOE taunt for tanks might be nice to keep mobs off me.
  • Kurat
    Kurat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't lump all fake tanks in the same category. Some can do it no problem, they have taunt slotted and do majority of the dps. Or even if no taunt, if their dps is so insane that there's nothing to taunt. The problem is that alot of lowbies see or hear about fake tanks and think they can do it also. Alot of people overestimate their ability. Its always funny when random 10k noobs in nCR pug say after finishing "we could've done vet" lmao. And then there's some ofcourse who intentionally queue as fake role hopping to get carried.
  • Calm_Fury
    Calm_Fury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zaria wrote: »

This:
    Note, this will get worse. next week you will get 10 transmute crystals doing an random normal or vet dungeon.
    5 for each HM pledge.
    Obvious solution is to queue as tank for random vet :open_mouth:
    As an magic build there you you could easy do an dd/ healer setup who would worked.

Yes, good point.

I predict this will get much, much worse next week. Sadly, for now those of us that respect the rules will need to suffer.
  • Calm_Fury
    Calm_Fury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kurat wrote: »
    I wouldn't lump all fake tanks in the same category. Some can do it no problem, they have taunt slotted and do majority of the dps. Or even if no taunt, if their dps is so insane that there's nothing to taunt. The problem is that alot of lowbies see or hear about fake tanks and think they can do it also. Alot of people overestimate their ability. Its always funny when random 10k noobs in nCR pug say after finishing "we could've done vet" lmao. And then there's some ofcourse who intentionally queue as fake role hopping to get carried.

Fake tank is a fake tank.

If you have a taunt and use it, you are a tank.

There are no "good" and "bad", fake tanks. All fake tanks are bad and shouldn't be rewarded in the game.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Raideen wrote: »
    I fake tank every day I play, I don't do it intentionally though. An AOE taunt for tanks might be nice to keep mobs off me.

Run with a decent tank and do not stand still while dropping AoEs. Circle around the group.
  • cyclonus11
    cyclonus11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    IZTGm9y.jpg
  • Raideen
    Raideen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »

Run with a decent tank and do not stand still while dropping AoEs. Circle around the group.

I already do and I already do and yet the problem persists.
    (you are talking to a master kiter)
  • KhajiitLivesMatter
    KhajiitLivesMatter
    ✭✭✭✭
    josiahva wrote: »
    Xolog4mer wrote: »
    Ackwalan wrote: »
    Xolog4mer wrote: »
    CrashTest wrote: »
    Just add a roleless queue like BGs so anyone who doesn't need or want the standard three-role group for dungeons can use that instead.

likly wouldnt work it isnt only about to have no tank in group its mostly done cause of the way to high waiting time in queue and a roleless queue would be used by less guys... so would take longer so the "fake" tanks would still group in the old queue cause its faster

and btw a few years ago we was able to just flag as all roles so that would be kinda role less

It might work. You aren't waiting for specific roles, so as long as at least 4 people queue up, the group goes in. If the groups continually fail, like in vDLC dungeons, people will stop queuing for random vet so that might cause delays.

yes likly ur right. still cant understand the guys doing random vet with fake tanks it has a high cahnce of failing ... but normal i understand u can carry normal solo with a lvl 3 char so i cant understand people blaming others for speeding up a normal run

This is why I said to split the queues AFTER they are asked if they want an optimal or sub-optimal group and provided with estimated wait times. It would lengthen the optimal group queue time for tanks....so no reason to fake tank, and shorten the queue time for role-less group DPS...so fake tanks would just choose sub-optimal and wouldn't bother to set their role as tank anymore.

Some form of queue splitting is the only fair way to solve the problem. Period.

i still COULD image the normal queue still taking longer than now so 1. no fake tanks -> less tanks -> longer waiting time for every non tank (even if wanted still increase in time) 2. i also CAN imagene some randoms playing tank atm changing to role less dd (cause likme 90% of the tanks also plays dds ) cause queue is faster and dungoen (atleast for normal for sure not in vet (but who does serious random vet - maybe even dlv vet hm ?? cant imagane much doing this))
  • Spark
    Spark
    ✭✭✭
    Swomp23 wrote: »
    I do exactly that on my pvp stam toons. I slot a taunt on my snb bar and queue for my daily normal. The only one I can’t do is Moon Hunter Keep. I get one shot by the ww adds, which is kinda stupid, since I can tank vet non dlc dungeons with the same setup pretty easily.

I know I'm replying to a bit of an older post but just wanted to give you a tip. Dodge roll the heavies! In veteran content even full heavy armor PvE tanks have to dodge stuff sometimes. MHK also does have some conal attacks that you have to take because they follow you (and kill the group if you turn them badly). Having a self heal can help there if the healer isn't ready with HoTs.
  • Grandchamp1989
    Grandchamp1989
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Kurat wrote: »

I must say I for the most part agree with this post.

If you're a DPS and you fake tank or fake heal, your DPS has to be SO GOOD that said role wasn't needed to begin with because every enemy dies so quickly.

That is indeed where 80-90% of DPS overestemate their own abilities. They're not good enough to fake normal, much less vet or DLC vet.

If you fake tank and the enemy don't die quickly.. And as a result the enemy start to cleave away at your team mates (things are getting messy).. You messed up. And the fault is entirely yours as a fake tank.
    If you fake heal and people start to die because the enemy isn't dying fast enough.. It's your fault as a fake healer. Why?
    Because at that moment those groups needed a tank or a healer much more than of your sub-par DPS.
    Edited by Grandchamp1989 on October 31, 2020 7:25PM
  • mairwen85
    mairwen85
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »

I already do and I already do and yet the problem persists.
    (you are talking to a master kiter)

A decent tank would group and CC the mobs and move on to keep the more dangerous enemies busy, removing your requirement to kite. Neatly stacked weak mobs shouldn't take longer than a few seconds to kill. The advice to run with a better tank still stands. If you're kiting anyway, it sounds like you're not allowing said tank to do their job, or the tank doesn't know how to control the encounter (ergo, not a decent tank). On a mob rich boss fight with a lot of add spawns, those adds should be simply melting to cleave damage. So a new requirement stands along with a better tank, get better dps.

Edit to add:
    when I pug with my healer or dps, I slot a CC for the case of a bad tank--no one likes taking hits the tank should be taking, but I'll happily do that portion of their role if they're new or just not very good. CC debilitates a group of mobs making it easier to kill with much less threat. There are few occasions you need to kite around trash packs, and if you're implying your kite activity is on the boss, that further removes the requirement for an AoE taunt as we're talking single target and potentially no taunt at all on the tank in question.

(you're not talking to a master anything, I'm just an average player)

Edited by mairwen85 on October 28, 2020 9:56AM
  • Muttsmutt
    Muttsmutt
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    it's people like that which makes people like me less believable.
    yeah, i'm one of those people who queues as tank on dps toons in random normals.
    i'm also one of those people who will slot a shield or self-heal, as well as a taunt, and not die nor move the boss at all.
    it baffles me how others fake tanking don't have the modicum of logic to do the same.

but then again, there's also light attack spammers which are even more bafflingly incompetent.
    way i see it, by queing as tank with a dps, there's an assurance that there will be at least two dps' worth of damage in the dungeon & it won't matter if one or both of the dps' are light attack spammers.
    imagine queing for five minutes just to spam light attacks.
    how do those people tie their shoes in the morning...
    PC-EU // UNDEAD
  • mairwen85
    mairwen85
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Muttsmutt wrote: »
    yeah, i'm one of those people who queues as tank on dps toons in random normals.
    i'm also one of those people who will slot a shield or self-heal, as well as a taunt, and not die nor move the boss at all.
    it baffles me how others fake tanking don't have the modicum of logic to do the same.

but then again, there's also light attack spammers which are even more bafflingly incompetent.
    way i see it, by queing as tank with a dps, there's an assurance that there will be at least two dps' worth of damage in the dungeon & it won't matter if one or both of the dps' are light attack spammers.

I find it harder to understand when a dps allows the queue to time out or declines. I mean, wait god knows how long just to "nah" decline or leave it sit until voided.
  • Muttsmutt
    Muttsmutt
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mairwen85 wrote: »
    Muttsmutt wrote: »

I find it harder to understand when a dps allows the queue to time out or declines. I mean, wait god knows how long just to "nah" decline or leave it sit until voided.

of course, that happens when somebody queues then goes to do something else. i've missed a few timers like that.
    it's unreasonable to expect everbody to hang out and watch their screen for several minutes waiting for that pop-up.
    sometimes you go take a leak right before the pop-up. it happens. it's annoying. there's nothing to be done about it.
    or sometimes you decline because you went to do something else and by the time you got your pop-up, you decided you did not want to do a random dungeon anymore. happens.
    i assure you nobody watches their group finder ready check and waits for it to expire, just because. or decline, just because.
    PC-EU // UNDEAD
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

lol
  • Sarannah
    Sarannah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ZOS should implement some real high tanking requirements right now, and remove the ability to switch gear in dungeons. The overall harm to the game is soo bad, this needs to be done ASAP(before U28). We can discuss later if the requirements were set too high.

Honestly, I'd rather be discussing a too high tank role queue requirement. Than having to discuss how harmful alot of players are to the game, and without getting punished for it(like this thread).

As a real tank coming into half-finished runs, I am starting to feel praised like a god.
    Edited by Sarannah on October 28, 2020 10:11PM
  • volkeswagon
    volkeswagon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    omnidoh wrote: »
    Tanks:
    Pay the complainers no mind.

If they Vote-Kick you, just re-queue.
    The time lost is theirs, as your re-queue time will be nearly instant and they will have to wait.

If you can "Fake" Tank and still complete the dungeon in less time with a PUG that doesnt vote-kick you, then your time lost will be minimal.

There will always be those who complain instead of taking action.

Seems pretty selfish
  • madman65
    madman65
    ✭✭✭✭
    Here is a "possible" solution,

Void Bash 2 items: When you deal damage with Power Bash, you apply Call of the Void to yourself for 2 seconds. Enemies within 12 meters are immediately pulled to you. After Call of the Void ends, you apply Major Maim to enemies in the area for 10 seconds. This effect can occur once every 13 seconds.
    1-Hand & Shield - Axe, Mace, Sword, Dagger, Shield

Perfected Void Bash
    2 items: Adds 965 Maximum Health
    2 items: When you deal damage with Power Bash, you apply Call of the Void to yourself for 2 seconds. Enemies within 12 meters are immediately pulled to you. After Call of the Void ends, you apply Major Maim to enemies in the area for 10 seconds. This effect can occur once every 13 seconds.
    1-Hand & Shield - Axe, Mace, Sword

If the tank cannot perform a power bash with the new set from Vateshran then you have a decision to make. I would have to say this would help, POSSIBLY.
  • Calm_Fury
    Calm_Fury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    madman65 wrote: »
    Here is a "possible" solution,

Void Bash 2 items: When you deal damage with Power Bash, you apply Call of the Void to yourself for 2 seconds. Enemies within 12 meters are immediately pulled to you. After Call of the Void ends, you apply Major Maim to enemies in the area for 10 seconds. This effect can occur once every 13 seconds.
    1-Hand & Shield - Axe, Mace, Sword, Dagger, Shield

Perfected Void Bash
    2 items: Adds 965 Maximum Health
    2 items: When you deal damage with Power Bash, you apply Call of the Void to yourself for 2 seconds. Enemies within 12 meters are immediately pulled to you. After Call of the Void ends, you apply Major Maim to enemies in the area for 10 seconds. This effect can occur once every 13 seconds.
    1-Hand & Shield - Axe, Mace, Sword

If the tank cannot perform a power bash with the new set from Vateshran then you have a decision to make. I would have to say this would help, POSSIBLY.

Hum??? I don't think I get it. Is your solution to make tanks have to farm VH???
  • madman65
    madman65
    ✭✭✭✭
    It`s a test, if the tank can`t perform this then you and the others will have to make decision. I know it sounds silly but if your team goes into any pledge and the tank can`t handle a mob by using this set then you will know what`s up. I mean i`ve had my fair share of problems with tanks but if the tank is for sure a tank then test it. Then you will have the time to get another.
  • Zodiarkslayer
    Zodiarkslayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So here is the thing: The learning curve for tanking is a lot flatter on the initial steps then it is with healing or DPS. It seems that fact is only known to actual TANKS. That is why there are not many really good Tanks in ESO! And the few that are out there play with guildies, because everyone in there guild has a high regard for them! That is a social benefit or incentive that DPS or healer dont get. Especially from GF groups.

People dont seem to get that being a tank has only two requirements:
    a) dont die and
    b) dont let your groupies die.
    And that is really not depending on active skills or special equipment. It is all player skill!

By that logic a high DPS that burns away the Mobs and Bosses is a good Tank. Please all see that!

Another aspect is clearly, that a lot of people dont get, that normal dungeons are not difficult! Real tanks are not required in normal Dungeons. They help a lot on some bosses, but required? No...

I have absolutely nothing against 'fake tanking' in normal dungeons. In veteran and hard mode dungeons or trials they dont stand a chance anyway.

Just imagine fake tanks in vet BC2 HM. If Rilis doesnt smite them, the six or so Deadroths will burn them. And this is base game, not even DLC.
    read, think and write.In that order.
  • mairwen85
    mairwen85
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    So here is the thing: The learning curve for tanking is a lot flatter on the initial steps then it is with healing or DPS. It seems that fact is only known to actual TANKS. That is why there are not many really good Tanks in ESO! And the few that are out there play with guildies, because everyone in there guild has a high regard for them! That is a social benefit or incentive that DPS or healer dont get. Especially from GF groups.

a) dont die and
    And that is really not depending on active skills or special equipment. It is all player skill!

By that logic a high DPS that burns away the Mobs and Bosses is a good Tank. Please all see that!

Another aspect is clearly, that a lot of people dont get, that normal dungeons are not difficult! Real tanks are not required in normal Dungeons. They help a lot on some bosses, but required? No...

I have absolutely nothing against 'fake tanking' in normal dungeons. In veteran and hard mode dungeons or trials they dont stand a chance anyway.

Just imagine fake tanks in vet BC2 HM. If Rilis doesnt smite them, the six or so Deadroths will burn them. And this is base game, not even DLC.

6 daedroth!? Usually we get him 40% by which time he's only spawned 2, and have to slow down for HM.
  • Zodiarkslayer
    Zodiarkslayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @mairwen85 It is an example that I expect everyone to understand, not to make the most extreme argument.
    And the point is not that a good group can burn it.
    But that you need a real and good tank for vet HM achievement.
    read, think and write.In that order.
  • Calm_Fury
    Calm_Fury
    ✭✭✭✭✭

a) dont die and

I think this is one of a few reasons why we don't have many tanks.

First, the tank learning curve is very steep right from the start. It is much easier to start DPS or start healing dungeons and be somewhat successful than start tanking and achieve the same level of success. This is what makes most people give up.

They start as DPS. They may be horrible DPSs at first, but they still complete several dungeons. They might try healing, be horrible at it, and still complete several vet dungeons. But then they start tanking. Everybody sucks at first, but they see that very quickly they start not being able to complete vet dungeons as a tank, which makes a lot of people give up.

Another huge thing is that tanking is always on the spotlight. A mistake by a tank is more often than not a wipe, which is rarely the case for healers and DPS. So most people just don't feel comfortable with that. Specially in trials.

But again, we are taking the discussion away from the main point because none of that is a valid excuse for ruining other people's runs by fake tanking in group finder.

It doesn't matter if a dungeon requires a tank or not. If you are using GROUP FINDER and queuing as a FAKE TANK, you are breaking the rules of the game and "cheating" your way to get more experience and rewards at other people's expense.

ZOS already punishes people that "fake PvP" to boost AP gains. I don't understand why "fake tanking" to boost XP/Random Rewards doesn't get the same treatment. "fake PvP" is even less aggravating for other players than fake tanking.
    Edited by Calm_Fury on October 31, 2020 5:35PM
  • CrashTest
    CrashTest
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Calm_Fury wrote: »

a) dont die and

I think this is one of a few reasons why we don't have many tanks.

First, the tank learning curve is very steep right from the start. It is much easier to start DPS or start healing dungeons and be somewhat successful then start tanking and achieve the same level of success. This is what makes most people give up.

They start as DPS. They may be horrible DPSs at first, but they still complete several dungeons. They might try healing, be horrible at it, and still complete several vet dungeons. But then they start tanking. Everybody sucks at first, but they see that very quickly they start not being able to complete vet dungeons as a tank, which makes a lot of people give up.

Another huge thing is that tanking is always on the spotlight. A mistake by a tank is more often than not a wipe, which is rarely the case for healers and DPS. So most people just don't feel comfortable with that. Specially in trials.

But again, we are taking the discussion away from the main point because none of that is a valid excuse for ruining other people's runs by fake tanking in group finder.

It doesn't matter if a dungeon requires a tank or not. If you are using GROUP FINDER and queuing as a FAKE TANK, you are breaking the rules of the game and "cheating" your way to get more experience and rewards at other people's expense.

ZOS already punishes people that "fake PvP" to boost AP gains. I don't understand why "fake tanking" to boost XP/Random Rewards doesn't get the same treatment. "fake PvP" is even less aggravating for other players than fake tanking.

Agree with everything you said, but what's fake PvP and how does ZOS punish that?
    Edited by CrashTest on October 31, 2020 5:21PM