Bug some players received 60k-100k crowns

• alanmatillab16_ESO
    alanmatillab16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kargen27 wrote: »
    Gilvoth wrote: »
    05aa2a5d21456121f63b93e1fde939c7.gif

...to uh, ya, this.....um....punishing players because ZOS made a deposit in their bank that shouldn't have happened. ZOS messes up, then punishes the players for the ZOS mistake.

wow. just wow.

Spending crowns or gold that the game auto deposits to you is definitely not an exploit. If I find a $20 on the ground while walking into the grocery store, it becomes mine unless someone is standing right there trying to pick it up because they just dropped it. ...and $20 real money is worth $20 more than 100k crowns.

..and on that note, I better log in and check my crown supply! This kind of thing never happens to me for some reason.

If a bank deposits money in your account by mistake you are not legally entitled to that money. If you withdraw it or otherwise spend it you can be charged with a crime. Even if you are not charged with a crime you will have to pay the money back. If you only transfer it to another account so you can collect interest on the money until they find the mistake that is also a crime.

Crowns are not real money. Crowns have no real life value.

We know that, the comparison with real money started with someone trying to justify spending the crowns by what they would do if they found $20.
    Options
  • UGotBenched91
    UGotBenched91
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah people shouldn’t be spending those crowns BUT ZOS should’ve apologized in their statement for their screwup. Seems they can never apologize if they mess up.
    Options
  • gp1680
    gp1680
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amazing how fast they can fix problems when it affects their precious crowns. Performance has been garbage for 3 years and they still can’t fix that.
    Options
  • baltic1284
    baltic1284
    ✭✭✭
    gp1680 wrote: »
    Amazing how fast they can fix problems when it affects their precious crowns. Performance has been garbage for 3 years and they still can’t fix that.

Nothing personal then stop throwing money at em then, not just you but in general. When there profits drop cause they refuse to fix performance and ask why and everyone says hey we stop giving you money cause you refuse to fix the problems we have reports then priorities shift.
    They are fixing this ASAP cause the priority they gave money away for free so therefore it is now priory hit theme in the pocket where it counts watch things change then.
    Options
  • gp1680
    gp1680
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    baltic1284 wrote: »

Nothing personal then stop throwing money at em then, not just you but in general. When there profits drop cause they refuse to fix performance and ask why and everyone says hey we stop giving you money cause you refuse to fix the problems we have reports then priorities shift.
    They are fixing this ASAP cause the priority they gave money away for free so therefore it is now priory hit theme in the pocket where it counts watch things change then.

I don’t disagree with you. Other than eso plus and the occasional crown purchase for mount upgrades, I don’t buy anymore. I’ll spend more money on crowns when ZOS decides to spend more time fixing their damn game.
    Options
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you really astonished that they fix that kind of error immediately? Of course it's about the money. They're a company, not samaritans.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
    Options
  • Finedaible
    Finedaible
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I wonder how many people have sold the crowns for gold and then sold the gold for real money already?

If the Thieves Guild has taught us anything, it is to always fence your goods fast, lol.

Honestly though, I don't understand what incentive players have to play on xbox anyway. Especially if they get banned for ZoS's screw-ups. Are they going to ban players who unwittingly bought crowns from these people?
    Options
  • Raudgrani
    Raudgrani
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Syldras wrote: »
    Raudgrani wrote: »
    If you find $20 on the street, enjoy. If you find $20 000 on the street, you better go to the police with them.

German law has details about it: You are allowed to keep amounts up to 10 Euro. If it's one Cent more, you have to turn it in. That's the theory, at least.

Yes probably so. But it's not the point, and that's not how it works in real life, as with many, many other laws. I have been caught carrying knife 2 times here in Sweden, which is illegal just as an example. But both times they have even given it back to me, just like that "Here you go, bye!". I have quite a few much more serious examples too, that I don't really feel like sharing here. But what the law says, and how it really works are two very different things. Luckily enough, common sense and human rationale plays a big part in how things work.

The reason they go manic about this, isn't really because people get free stuff, it's because of the possibility that people won't buy what they were otherwise saving for/planning to buy; but I guess everyone understands this. And of course, the possibility for people to earn in-game gold through this, which they theoretically could use to even gain "IRL money" from, if they really would put their minds to it.
    Options
  • robwolf666
    robwolf666
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah... I got credited with around 60K of Crowns yesterday. Given the message about today's maintenance, it's a good job that I resisted the urge to go on a spending spree. lol

Honest to a fault, I guess. I knew there was something weird going on, I even tried to contact them about it.
    Options
  • M3atwad
    M3atwad
    Maybe it's Zos's way of reducing lag in cyro and trials. Just send out crowns to half the community, then ban em for using them. Boom less lag !
    Options
  • L_Nici
    L_Nici
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you ever find 100k Crowns on your account, know you have never paid for them and then spend them, you deserve to be banned for sheer stupidity.
    Edited by L_Nici on August 22, 2020 2:10PM
    A very special girl

PC|EU
    Options
  • RefLiberty
    RefLiberty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The can't fix it properly.
    Gina just updated thread that if some accounts get negative balance, they will be zeroed.
    What that means tho if someone sold 50,000 crowns into gold. It will get negative balance and then zeroed, not a big loss if they fenced the loot. :#
    Edited by RefLiberty on August 22, 2020 2:15PM
    Options
  • Donny_Vito
    Donny_Vito
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RefLiberty wrote: »
    The can't fix it properly.
    Gina just updated thread that if some accounts get negative balance, they will be zeroed.
    What that means tho if someone sold 50,000 crowns into gold. It will get negative balance and then zeroed, not a big loss if they fenced the loot. :#

You left out the part where she also said that ToS team will be investigating (negative accounts that were zero'd) next week.
    Additional account investigations from our ToS team will occur next week if necessary.
    Options
  • SP39EMC2
    SP39EMC2
    ✭✭✭
    Before the glitch I hv 9500 crowns. After the glitch I got 95000 crowns. I bought the Merchant for 5000 crowns. After buying I hv 90000 crowns balance and I did spent any of these crowns until the server was taken down. In other words I spent 5000 of my own crowns to buy the Merchant. My real balance should be then 4500 crowns. Therefore in reality I did not spent any of the gltiched crowns credited into my account thru no fault of mine. Therefore 90000-4500 = 85500. This balance of 85500 crowns ZOS can take back. I should not be punished as I have only spent my own crowns not the glitched crowns. Therefore also my crowns balance was not in the negative. For those crowns in the negative I just wonder how ZOS is going to resolve them. Good luck to those. Hope ZOS will be leneint to them.
    Options
  • Donny_Vito
    Donny_Vito
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SP39EMC2 wrote: »
    Before the glitch I hv 9500 crowns. After the glitch I got 95000 crowns. I bought the Merchant for 5000 crowns. After buying I hv 90000 crowns balance and I did spent any of these crowns until the server was taken down. In other words I spent 5000 of my own crowns to buy the Merchant. My real balance should be then 4500 crowns. Therefore in reality I did not spent any of the gltiched crowns credited into my account thru no fault of mine. Therefore 90000-4500 = 85500. This balance of 85500 crowns ZOS can take back. I should not be punished as I have only spent my own crowns not the glitched crowns. Therefore also my crowns balance was not in the negative. For those crowns in the negative I just wonder how ZOS is going to resolve them. Good luck to those. Hope ZOS will be leneint to them.

Your math is off. I think I just misread. There shouldn't be an issue.

You started with 9,500. You ended with 95,000 after the glitch. ZoS gave you 85,500 free crowns.

After buying the merchant, you had 90,000 crowns left. ZOS will take 85,5000 from you, resulting in you having a positive balance of 4,500 crowns left. No issue here.
    Edited by Donny_Vito on August 22, 2020 2:29PM
    Options
  • AshfieldLad
    AshfieldLad
    ✭✭✭
    It probably depends on the severity of the abuse imo, if someone spent 5k on a motif for themselves I can see them just letting it go, if someone sold 100k crowns for gold I think they have more to worry about . But I guess we will see
    Options
  • Khatou
    Khatou
    ✭✭✭✭
    Personally I would have made a deal with Zos, I'll give you back the crowns if you take care of all the bugs :D
    Options
  • SP39EMC2
    SP39EMC2
    ✭✭✭
    Donny_Vito wrote: »

You started with 9,500. You ended with 95,000 after the glitch. ZoS gave you 85,500 free crowns.

After buying the merchant, you had 90,000 crowns left. ZOS will take 85,5000 from you, resulting in you having a positive balance of 4,500 crowns left. No issue here.

Thank you
    Options
  • Donny_Vito
    Donny_Vito
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zos, without a doubt, keeps a detailed transaction log of every account's crowns. So we can assume they have this knowledge:
    - Crown count before the glitch started
    - If you were affected by the glitch, and how many extra crowns you received
    - Any other crown additions gained rightfully (purchases, ESO plus, etc..)
    - All the purchases you made since the glitch started
    - Your ending Crown count

With all this information, they can 100% know if you spent excess crowns. The logic is all there, it's the punishment we want to really know about.
    Options
  • SP39EMC2
    SP39EMC2
    ✭✭✭
    Zos, without a doubt, keeps a detailed transaction log of every account's crowns. So we can assume they have this knowledge:
    - Crown count before the glitch started
    - If you were affected by the glitch, and how many extra crowns you received
    - Any other crown additions gained rightfully (purchases, ESO plus, etc..)
    - All the purchases you made since the glitch started
    - Your ending Crown count

With all this information, they can 100% know if you spent excess crowns. The logic is all there, it's the punishment we want to really know about.

I believe you are right.
    Options
  • Donny_Vito
    Donny_Vito
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Server is back up again.
    Options
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Raudgrani wrote: »
    But what the law says, and how it really works are two very different things. Luckily enough, common sense and human rationale plays a big part in how things work.

I don't believe in common sense anymore. There once was a lady who wanted to call the police because I threw a chewing gum wrapper (a tiny piece of paper) into her trashbin, that was outside her garden on the street waiting for people to empty it in maybe half an hour. And that wasn't the only thing I experienced here. Never underestimate how narrow-minded some people are.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    Options
  • baltic1284
    baltic1284
    ✭✭✭
    baltic1284 wrote: »

I don’t disagree with you. Other than eso plus and the occasional crown purchase for mount upgrades, I don’t buy anymore. I’ll spend more money on crowns when ZOS decides to spend more time fixing their damn game.

All i got was ESO plus what crowns i get for that is all they i spend on for now, for the same reason till they fix the game and actually pout in fixes instead of just adding more to the game that just slows and complicates fixes.
    Options
  • SP39EMC2
    SP39EMC2
    ✭✭✭

Thank you

Server is back up. I checked and got back the balance of my own crowns.
    Options
  • robwolf666
    robwolf666
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah... my Crowns are back to what they were too.
    Options
  • davidj8291
    davidj8291
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How very ZOS, threatening TOS violations on people because they made a mistake with digital currency.
    Funnier still everyone here trying to compare the legality of this to banking and financial fraud.

ZOS made a mistake and gave away digital and n game currency, aka crowns.
    People spent them.
    Now ZOS moves to punish people for capitalizing off of their issue.

[snip]

[Edited to remove Baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_ConnorG on August 22, 2020 3:25PM
    Options
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    davidj8291 wrote: »
    It’d be like me accidentally putting a drink in my friend’s refrigerator then getting mad when they drank it. Laughable.

As you just complained about people comparing digital money with real money, I assume it's a digital drink? :p
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    Options
  • ANGEL_BtVS
    ANGEL_BtVS
    ✭✭✭✭
    So I had a rummage through the terms of service and found this:

"ZeniMax may, from time to time and in its sole discretion, grant Virtual Currency to Users of one or more Services as a gesture of goodwill or in connection with promotions"

Taken from their terms of service here: https://account.elderscrollsonline.com/terms-of-service

How was anyone to know it wasn't a gesture of goodwill? Could have been an apology for the terrible state of the game since maintenance on Thursday.

Oh-Wait-Youre-Serious_o_97195.gif
    Options
  • robwolf666
    robwolf666
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Syldras wrote: »
    davidj8291 wrote: »
    It’d be like me accidentally putting a drink in my friend’s refrigerator then getting mad when they drank it. Laughable.

As you just complained about people comparing digital money with real money, I assume it's a digital drink? :p

Technically it is real money since you have to buy them before using them in the store. ;)
    Options
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    just give us all 120,000 crowns for the bad lagg we have had now for 5+ years and call it even.
    Options