Bug some players received 60k-100k crowns

• Kaliki
    Kaliki
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not saying spending crowns received in error is OK, but it surprises me that so many would be willing to call it theft/fraud or assume that crowns credited in error mean that ZOS loses money.
    ZOS is not a bank, crowns are only a game currency and you only get pixels for your crowns and ZOS has the power to take those pixels away.
    If I was gifted 100k crowns I would surely spend them, but that doesn't mean I would ever spend real money to buy this amount of crowns.
    This financial loss is hypothetical at best.
    - Templars: Slower by Design® -
    Options
  • angelofdeath333
    angelofdeath333
    ✭✭✭
    We're not stealing crowns, we're just thieves guild roleplaying! And zos deserves it after all these years of *** and *** servers
    Options
  • markulrich1966
    markulrich1966
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kaliki wrote: »
    I'm not saying spending crowns received in error is OK, but it surprises me that so many would be willing to call it theft/fraud or assume that crowns credited in error mean that ZOS loses money.
    ZOS is not a bank, crowns are only a game currency and you only get pixels for your crowns and ZOS has the power to take those pixels away.
    If I was gifted 100k crowns I would surely spend them, but that doesn't mean I would ever spend real money to buy this amount of crowns.
    This financial loss is hypothetical at best.

you would not, but many who planned to buy crowns would.

So not every case is a real loss, but many are.

Apart from that it is wasted time to discuss it.
    The TOS are clear in this regard, and there have beens bans the last time something comparable happened (far too high of guildstore bids given back for the places that lost the bid).
    Options
  • Cadbury
    Cadbury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suspect we'll be seeing an influx of posts asking "Why was my account banned?" here and on Reddit, only to have said posts mysteriously vanish into the ether...
    "If a person is truly desirous of something, perhaps being set on fire does not seem so bad."
    Options
  • alanmatillab16_ESO
    alanmatillab16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you got the crowns and think you are ok to spend them then go ahead, just don't come whining here if you lose your account or items.

It doesn't matter if you think you are justified, have a "perfect" excuse or how you define an exploit. It is ZOS that are the judge and jury here, you are in their land and their word goes.
    Options
  • BisDasBlutGefriert
    BisDasBlutGefriert
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone know if PC/NA was affected by this too? I haven't had time to log on in over a week. Thanks in advance!!! 😁

While reading people's responses on here; I keep getting an image of a zos employee purposely shoveling crowns into people's accounts right before quitting his/her job. Doing it just to give the company one last jab before they leave.
    ~There’s a positive in every negative. Sometimes the positive is harder to find than other times, but there is ALWAYS one there~
    Options
  • Alienoutlaw
    Alienoutlaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Cadbury wrote: »
    I suspect we'll be seeing an influx of posts asking "Why was my account banned?" here and on Reddit, only to have said posts mysteriously vanish into the ether...

i think ZOS will let the posts stay up as a warning for the future
    Options
  • Donny_Vito
    Donny_Vito
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like how the people in the Twitter thread were already on the defensive trying to not get themselves banned...

"A majority of the NA community" -- LOL! I heard a few whispers about it last night and today, but definitely a small percentage of people.
    Options
  • Cadbury
    Cadbury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cadbury wrote: »

i think ZOS will let the posts stay up as a warning for the future

Doubtful. ZOS doesn't like loose ends, or to be reminded of their mistakes.
    "If a person is truly desirous of something, perhaps being set on fire does not seem so bad."
    Options
  • radiostar
    radiostar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great, just my luck to get nothing.
    "Billions upon Billions of Stars"
    Options
  • Donny_Vito
    Donny_Vito
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a good life lesson for a lot of people who might eventually be banned (temporarily I hope).

Your bank can give you extra money on accident. Your job can accidentally increase your pay for one period. The government can accidentally give you a tax break where you receive more money than you should. You might get a bill that says you owe $0 when you know it should be more. Your wife...I'll stop there.

It's not free money. They will come to collect.
    Options
  • Donny_Vito
    Donny_Vito
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hasn't anyone ever seen the movie Blank Check ??

Don't we know how this ends..
    Options
  • Norgh
    Norgh
    ✭✭✭
    I still have the extra 39k crowns on my account even after the maintenance, hopefully this will get sorted.
    Xbox EU-UK Xbox Series X
    Options
  • WeerW3ir
    WeerW3ir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess this...
    752.jpg
    Options
  • Cadbury
    Cadbury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Donny_Vito wrote: »
    Hasn't anyone ever seen the movie Blank Check ??

Don't we know how this ends..

Oooh talk about a blast from the past. Haven't seen that in ages.
    Edited by Cadbury on August 22, 2020 11:42AM
    Options
  • Ishtarknows
    Ishtarknows
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So. Servers are back up now, anyone know what the consequences were?
    Options
  • Donny_Vito
    Donny_Vito
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Norgh wrote: »
    I still have the extra 39k crowns on my account even after the maintenance, hopefully this will get sorted.

You may want to post a message in the Bug section and tag Gina or other ZOS.
    Options
  • TineaCruris
    TineaCruris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gilvoth wrote: »
    05aa2a5d21456121f63b93e1fde939c7.gif

...to uh, ya, this.....um....punishing players because ZOS made a deposit in their bank that shouldn't have happened. ZOS messes up, then punishes the players for the ZOS mistake.

wow. just wow.

Spending crowns or gold that the game auto deposits to you is definitely not an exploit. If I find a $20 on the ground while walking into the grocery store, it becomes mine unless someone is standing right there trying to pick it up because they just dropped it. ...and $20 real money is worth $20 more than 100k crowns.

..and on that note, I better log in and check my crown supply! This kind of thing never happens to me for some reason.

False analogy. It's more like waking up finding 300k on your bank account that you know weren't there yesterday and which you aren't sure where comes from. You're the one who is going to be charged with, I believe in the US it would be fraud, even if it is a banking clerk error. Because you should have known that money weren't yours to spend.

No. Crowns have no value. They are pixels.
    Options
  • TineaCruris
    TineaCruris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RefLiberty wrote: »

...to uh, ya, this.....um....punishing players because ZOS made a deposit in their bank that shouldn't have happened. ZOS messes up, then punishes the players for the ZOS mistake.

wow. just wow.

Spending crowns or gold that the game auto deposits to you is definitely not an exploit. If I find a $20 on the ground while walking into the grocery store, it becomes mine unless someone is standing right there trying to pick it up because they just dropped it. ...and $20 real money is worth $20 more than 100k crowns.

..and on that note, I better log in and check my crown supply! This kind of thing never happens to me for some reason.

That is not true.

You are twisting the situations here. This is not the same as finding the $20 on the ground, where there is no known owner and there is no way to return the money to real owner.

This is like walking on the street and finding the ATM device that due to malfunction or system error is spitting money.
    In this case we know who the owner of the money is (bank), or we can logically assume that even the ATM is spitting money on the street, it is not ours for taking.
    If you take money from spitting ATM, you will be charged with criminal offense and prolly prison time .
    Same goes if you find a wallet with bank card and pin in it, if you go to ATM and take the money that is stealing because the owner can be easily established (e.g. card don't belong to us)

Anyone who thinks 10K crowns is theirs to take, and that they got it for some their imaginary reason to spend it, is stupid.

I'll ask you and any of you who thinks it is fine to spend it. If the bank by some system error, or someone by mistake put $500K on your account, would you spend it, or contact the bank to check what is going on?

Again, crowns have no value. Crowns are virtual and have no real life value.

It's more like giving a virtual bouquet for valentines day. Sure, it's a nice gesture, but how much real life monetary value does it have? None.
    Options
  • TineaCruris
    TineaCruris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kargen27 wrote: »

wow. just wow.

If a bank deposits money in your account by mistake you are not legally entitled to that money. If you withdraw it or otherwise spend it you can be charged with a crime. Even if you are not charged with a crime you will have to pay the money back. If you only transfer it to another account so you can collect interest on the money until they find the mistake that is also a crime.

Crowns are not real money. Crowns have no real life value.
    Options
  • RefLiberty
    RefLiberty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jaygao79 wrote: »
    f047ys3v3n wrote: »
    None of my accounts got the bug :( so I guess I don't have to ponder the moral dilemma of gambling it all on crowns and then trying to argue when ZOS takes it back that the crate I got a radiant mount from was the one I bought with my 7k crowns and not the 100k they misplaced.

Sad thing is that everyone on the server will lose their progress yesterday because they are rolling the server back now, not to mention the down time today.

Are they, I can see that the maintenance is over, did they roll back all accounts or they filtered ones that got the crowns? What happened at the end?
    Options
  • bearbelly
    bearbelly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    kargen27 wrote: »

wow. just wow.

If a bank deposits money in your account by mistake you are not legally entitled to that money. If you withdraw it or otherwise spend it you can be charged with a crime. Even if you are not charged with a crime you will have to pay the money back. If you only transfer it to another account so you can collect interest on the money until they find the mistake that is also a crime.

Crowns are not real money. Crowns have no real life value.

How does the real life money required to obtain them legitimately factor in to that thought process?

Edit: And before somebody goes pedantic, I know we don't actually "obtain" them, since we don't actually own anything in the game realm, but my meaning is we are granted the ability to make use of the crowns.
    Yes, the crowns, in and of themselves, if simply coded into existence, have no value in the real world, but they have value in the game, and require an investment of real life money in order to be used legitimately on our account. That money has real life value.
    Does that not impart value to the crowns? (I'm asking, I'm not trying to argue.)

Edited by bearbelly on August 22, 2020 12:34PM
    Options
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Raudgrani wrote: »
    If you find $20 on the street, enjoy. If you find $20 000 on the street, you better go to the police with them.

German law has details about it: You are allowed to keep amounts up to 10 Euro. If it's one Cent more, you have to turn it in. That's the theory, at least.

@Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
    Options
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any news on what they did in maintenance?
    Rollback?
    Item remove?
    Slapped wrists
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
    Options
  • Sarannah
    Sarannah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    So, to who did this happen exactly?.. EU server? ... PC/Console?
    And are players like me who normally have around 50k-100k crowns in their account at risk?

And why is there no official statement about this on the official forums, but apparently just something on twitter?!?!
    Options
  • RefLiberty
    RefLiberty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RefLiberty wrote: »

wow. just wow.

That is not true.

You are twisting the situations here. This is not the same as finding the $20 on the ground, where there is no known owner and there is no way to return the money to real owner.

This is like walking on the street and finding the ATM device that due to malfunction or system error is spitting money.
    In this case we know who the owner of the money is (bank), or we can logically assume that even the ATM is spitting money on the street, it is not ours for taking.
    If you take money from spitting ATM, you will be charged with criminal offense and prolly prison time .
    Same goes if you find a wallet with bank card and pin in it, if you go to ATM and take the money that is stealing because the owner can be easily established (e.g. card don't belong to us)

Anyone who thinks 10K crowns is theirs to take, and that they got it for some their imaginary reason to spend it, is stupid.

I'll ask you and any of you who thinks it is fine to spend it. If the bank by some system error, or someone by mistake put $500K on your account, would you spend it, or contact the bank to check what is going on?

Again, crowns have no value. Crowns are virtual and have no real life value.

It's more like giving a virtual bouquet for valentines day. Sure, it's a nice gesture, but how much real life monetary value does it have? None.

By that, the stocks or bonds have no values in your imaginary world because they are virtual, yet people spend billions trading on them.
    It has value since it is acquired by real money as long as the game is running and there are interest for it.

Although it is not by game tos and it is bannable, if I'm going to sell my account, the price will heavily depend on how many crowns is there so it has value.

If I'm going to sell in-game gifts purchased by crowns in exchange for real money by a discount (cos zos gave me 10k for free), it has value.

Edited by RefLiberty on August 22, 2020 12:46PM
    Options
  • Jaavaa
    Jaavaa
    ✭✭✭✭
    Risk? Cause of legal Crowns in your inventory? I cant understand the question.
    And official Statement? Zos never communicate sanctions to players.
    Options
  • bearbelly
    bearbelly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sarannah wrote: »
    So, to who did this happen exactly?.. EU server? ... PC/Console?
    And are players like me who normally have around 50k-100k crowns in their account at risk?

And why is there no official statement about this on the official forums, but apparently just something on twitter?!?!

It's in the banner at the top of the screen.
    If people bothered to make note of what server they are referring to when they create their posts, there wouldn't be this kind of confusion.
    Xbox NA & EU Maintenance
    Options
  • Sarannah
    Sarannah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Post removed, nvm!
    Edited by Sarannah on August 22, 2020 12:53PM
    Options
  • Flameweaver1951
    Flameweaver1951
    ✭✭✭
    Lots of discussion on Xbox FB groups from people who got the crowns and spent/sold them and are still able to get in on their accounts and still have the crowns and/or the stuff they purchased. Not sure what maintenance was for other than to possibly fix the bug. Right now though, those that exploited this haven’t been penalised. I’m guessing that ZOS don’t have the tools or skilled staff to identify them.
    Options