Maintenance for the week of October 21:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 21
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – October 21, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

ESO Population Declining @ SteamCharts

• Nemesis7884
    Nemesis7884
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    maybe everyone is switching over to the epic games client?

tim-sweeney-crackpot.jpg
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Watchdog wrote: »
    People are learning that playing ESO through Steam causes problems.

Nah, they fixed Steam login issue when you can't login for 12 hours until they restart whole server. I don't remember any issues related to Steam in last months.

Like this?

https://steamcommunity.com/app/306130/discussions/0/1626286205687042286/

I don't want to go to toxic direction, but do you bothered to read what you linked? That was some NEW (18 september) short issue which is fixed by restarting/updating steam client. How is this linked to massive drop of population in July-August?

P.S. and if you will search ESO forums about ESO-exclusive login problems lol... there are will be hundreds of threads despite the invitation wall which makes only really persistent guys to get here with their problems and opinions :D

I am Steam user and I have negative review there with advice to buy game in another place, but that review is outdated, main Steam issue when you can't log on until ZOS restarts mega-server is gone.
  • Evanis
    Evanis
    ✭✭✭
    https://mmo-population.com/r/elderscrollsonline

The daily player population has been very steady since June, with a gradual increase of ~1.5%/month.

The game is far from declining, nerfs and all...
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Evanis wrote: »
    https://mmo-population.com/r/elderscrollsonline

The daily player population has been very steady since June, with a gradual increase of ~1.5%/month.

The game is far from declining, nerfs and all...

They do it based on reddit activity lol. They openly claim that this is estimated data based on REDDIT activity and for more accurate data one should go to steam or to dev's info. Dev's listed that ESO has 13.5 mils in May and then just 13 mils in August. Steam data corresponds to this... guild active population corresponds to this.

Game is clearly less active then half-year ago.
  • KappaKid83
    KappaKid83
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't run my game off of Steam but I originally downloaded it from Steam. The steam launch was always wonky AF for me so I switched over to the regular launcher and it is much better for me.
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That’s at least partially because Steam sucks.
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Ydrisselle
    Ydrisselle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neoealth wrote: »

I don't have problems. I did buy eso through the website though and then linked the game to steam later. But never have big problems in steam. It's nice having a eso steam badge and screenshot gallery. Plus my eso+ is all done through steam. Quite convenient.

The only very minor downside is sometimes patches break the launcher through steam for a short time. But even then im able to just run the eso exe to bypass.

Don't understand all the hate towards steam really.

And it's not possible any more, unless you buy the game both through Steam and through ZOS.
  • AhPook_Is_Here
    AhPook_Is_Here
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It just looks like a very sine like fluctuation around new content to me.
    “Whatever.”
    -Unknown American
  • TragedyOA
    TragedyOA
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ratzkifal wrote: »
    Are we really discussing steam charts again when most ESO players are not playing through steam?

Link?
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I hate Steam... not only with regards to ESO.
    That thing is spying on me all the time, I have to go through a gazillion of settings to make sure the people I want to see me do see me - and people that I don't want to see me online don't, it's ocnstantly updating something, it's constantly throwing ad windows at me, etc...
    They're okay as a shopping platform, with wide ranges of games and great sales and prices and all, but they're too intrusive. I might feel normal for younger generations, who feel ok, or even happy, with being in "on display for the whole world to see" as soon as they're on the internet, but it's not my thing. And it does not matter whether you launch the game via Steam or via eso64.exe : Steam still knows what you're doing. I just hate this behaviour.

And with ESO, it causes a whole range of problems, depending on whether you bought the game on steam before a certain date, or after a certain date, or if you've simply linked your accounts there.

• Evanis
    Evanis
    ✭✭✭

Dev's listed that ESO has 13.5 mils in May and then just 13 mils in August.

Links to source data, please.

Show me any MMO with 13 million ACTIVE players. The value you quoted is likely the number of ACCOUNTS.
  • SirAxen
    SirAxen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You guys are forgetting there is an entire console community out there as well. ESO is fine.
  • mocap
    mocap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    steam is junk, full of trash games, almost no AAA titles.
  • NoodleESO
    NoodleESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to go by this chart in late 2015 early 2016 to confirm to myself that the game was dead and it was a waste of my time.
    BOY WAS I WRONG Then I had to play catch up with gear and reconnect with friends.

Don't stop playing just because other people feel negative about an update, things will always smooth out :)

(unless you have an ESO addiction the seriously take a break)
  • Marcus684
    Marcus684
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OP: ESO IS DYING!!!!1!1 *posts chart proving otherwise*

Others: No it’s not. Read your chart.

OP: NO ITS DYING!!!!!

Others: The chart doesn’t show most players. Game is fine.

OP: !!!!!!!!!!

Etc.

WGAF what others are doing? If you still like the game keep playing. Otherwise don’t.
    Edited by Marcus684 on September 20, 2019 6:31PM
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Dev's listed that ESO has 13.5 mils in May and then just 13 mils in August.

Links to source data, please.

Show me any MMO with 13 million ACTIVE players. The value you quoted is likely the number of ACCOUNTS.

Yeah, of course this is number of accounts. So even number of accounts decreased :D or ZOS messed up their reports, so they bragged for less amount of accounts in August in comparison to May.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/478785/eso-announces-13-5-million-players-up-2-5-million-from-last-year/p1

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/491621/13-million-players-and-counting/p1
  • mb10
    mb10
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    12k??? Runescape has more players wow lol that’s actually shocking

Remember the post about 4 million or something? Hahah
  • Evanis
    Evanis
    ✭✭✭
    The claim is that the game population is declining. Then why upgrade the group finder with the next patch? Clearly, the system cannot handle the current load. We've all experienced the long wait times and glitchy behavior in dungeon queues. Would ZOS bother to address this if the population was in decline?
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always notice pop being lower in June-September because of summer. Sure the school kids have time off, but a lot of the adults take the time to travel or spend time outside.

This is pretty noticeable in my guild, where there are always more players around when the weather is cooler.
    The Moot Councillor
  • DrFuzzyFish
    DrFuzzyFish
    ✭✭
    Well declining during the summer holidays could just be because parents have stopped playing so much to be with their kids, people going on holiday, ect. You would need more information to state that the player base is in decline this just shows that these months aren't peak times
    “I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.”
    ― Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Look at August 2018 and September 2018. Compare to 2019. Notice anything?
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • Karivaa
    Karivaa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh I’m sure it is! Pvp is almost dead during the week during the day in the 30 day campaign. When ESO first came out, we had many campaigns that were very full. It makes me sad because ESO has been my favorite game. Unfortunately, they have refused to fix the issues in PVP for over 4 years on console so people have left.
  • ThirdHorseman
    ThirdHorseman
    ✭✭
    Well May and June 2019 had the highest Average Player count for ESO on steam.

Overall it looks to trend upwards unless you
    only look at the last 8 months.

August had a loss of 1,000 average players. That doesn’t seem like a huge decline considering the normal wave of video games and steam in general.

In comparison Dota 2 had a 10,000 player decline from August 2018 compare to August 2019.

In fact ESO and every other game on steam seem to go through similar seasonal swings.
  • karekiz
    karekiz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The claim is that the game population is declining. Then why upgrade the group finder with the next patch? Clearly, the system cannot handle the current load. We've all experienced the long wait times and glitchy behavior in dungeon queues. Would ZOS bother to address this if the population was in decline?

They updated the dungeon finder most likely due to Undaunted event which is focused entirely on dungeons. That and next DLC has less content <No trial/dungeon/arena to bother having to balance and playtest> as devs are focused on ability audit + fixing game engines <Part of DF as well>

Member last year when it totally broke and they couldn't fix it? They probably don't want a repeat. Thats probably why its getting released. DF been wonkey at times regardless of player base being at peak or not. Just during undaunted events it basically can't handle even the basics.
    Edited by karekiz on September 20, 2019 8:07PM
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you realize how many people don't play using the Steam Launcher? As well as Console players? Steam should not be used as the only standard in measuring success.
    CP2,000 Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • StormeReigns
    StormeReigns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Lord_Eomer wrote: »
    ZOS is again on a wrong track, nerfing everything and letting players leave ESO.

Lack of good contents are also to blame, players are asking for new Solo Arena or Duo but Q4 DLC becomes such a disappointment.

I have also taken a break from ESO, will get back once ZOS start putting things back on track.

Zy9Tf5Y.png

Source: https://steamcharts.com/app/306130

Placing trust in Valve/Steam for accurate information is as about as bad looking through Troma Theater's entire catalogs for something not outrageously over the top.
  • StabbityDoom
    StabbityDoom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Jaraal wrote: »

I have a low end Win 7 system and have played through Steam for years without a Steam related problem.

I have experienced on no less than 10 occasions when my steam loader would not get me into the game, people were complaining steam logins didn't work on the forums, but I could log in fine with a straight zos login (which I paid an additional game cost for because I was sick of being f'd over when steam was wonky again)
    PC/NA
    EHT zealot
    streamer: http://twitch.tv/stabbitydoom
  • maddiniiLuna
    maddiniiLuna
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hello,

Keep in mind, that this chart is in no way an accurate representation of the player numbers in ESO. It's only for steam players and only for EU Servers. There is also NA Servers, Non-Steam Users, All the console users etc. Besides the fact, that it doesn't record your activity, if you are set to invisible in Steam. The "real" numbers will be way higher then this.
  • max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Watchdog wrote: »
    The ESO Steam General Discussion seems to contain some recent threads about players being unable to start the game at all. Besides, such cases only contribute to the exodus of ESO players from Steam.

I haven't launched ESO via Steam since around last Christmas, I think, yet I play almost daily.

Same.

I don't have problems. I did buy eso through the website though and then linked the game to steam later. But never have big problems in steam. It's nice having a eso steam badge and screenshot gallery. Plus my eso+ is all done through steam. Quite convenient.

The only very minor downside is sometimes patches break the launcher through steam for a short time. But even then im able to just run the eso exe to bypass.

You were grandfathered into being able to use the exe because you bought from eso website. So was I. I could have continued to use steam as well. People who buy from steam after a certain date are not able to run it from exe.
    #FiteForYourRite Bosmer = Stealth
    #OppositeResourceSiphoningAttacks
    || CP 1000+ || PC/NA || GUILDS: LWH; IA; CH; XA
    ""All gods' creatures (you lot) are equal when covered in A1 sauce"" -- Old Bosmeri Wisdom
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello,

Keep in mind, that this chart is in no way an accurate representation of the player numbers in ESO. It's only for steam players and only for EU Servers. There is also NA Servers, Non-Steam Users, All the console users etc. Besides the fact, that it doesn't record your activity, if you are set to invisible in Steam. The "real" numbers will be way higher then this.

Well, you are correct that it only shows a subset of the player base though I think it is both EU and NA since Steam is just looking at total number of player playing the game via steam linked accounts.

However, this is the only metrics we really get on the game as nothing is published by Zos. Considering pretty much every month ESO Steam charts shows growth over the same month they year before it seems Zos is doing pretty good. I do not think OP will be missed.