The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

MagNB - What is our advantage to leverage?

• Insco851
    Insco851
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stx wrote: »
    If I were to gear up my nightblade for pvp I would probably go melee for the higher spell damage and then stack penetration to burst through high resists. Spinners plus amberplasm or bright throats so I could spam cloak / damage / heals.

But I haven't played my nightblade in forever so i really am not an expert.

Monster set/combination needs to be defensive. And/or protective jewl traits. +some health recovery either thru steed or food/race passives.

I ran both those setups before.
  • Stx
    Stx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Insco851 wrote: »
    Stx wrote: »
    If I were to gear up my nightblade for pvp I would probably go melee for the higher spell damage and then stack penetration to burst through high resists. Spinners plus amberplasm or bright throats so I could spam cloak / damage / heals.

But I haven't played my nightblade in forever so i really am not an expert.

Monster set/combination needs to be defensive. And/or protective jewl traits. +some health recovery either thru steed or food/race passives.

I ran both those setups before.

That's a good idea. I use bone pirate/protective jewels on my stamplar and I think it's the best stat efficiency you can get for sustain/defense.

I could use the steed, I like being mobile and I imagine magblade needs to be, but I definitely cannot afford gold food so my health recov wouldnt be that high.

As for monster sets I have malubeths and blood spawn. Dont have pirate skelly yet. Blood spawn seems like it would be good, that would give me over 30k resists and make soul harvest up a lot.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @Stx

Yea, blood spawn’s okay. I have pirate smelly but haven’t switched to using it because when you transform I’ve been hearing you can’t switch bars. Another option (though not the best) is 1 piece Chudan and 1 piece Pirate Smelly.

There’s a set that’s like bone pirate for magicka now called bright throat. The only problem with both bone pirate and BT is they nerfed witchmother’s potent brew’s magicka and health values. I find with witchmother’s your health pool is too low to be effective in pvp, even with all tri-stat glyphs. If you’re 5L-1M-1H it puts you at about 22k health. There’s also spring loaded infusion drink but longfin has higher values.

If you run skoria it might be okay, otherwise best to run longfin pasty whatever food and get your sustain somewhere else. Easy as a healer, as a dps I don’t know where, it’s usually a big hit to damage if you run recovery glyphs. In CP magicka is powerful, in no-CP sp/pen is better.
    Edited by Iskiab on June 7, 2019 4:52PM
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • Insco851
    Insco851
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another option if you get comfortable with sustain... lingering health pots can be a huge defensive boost. I typically can only use one of these every other cooldown tho so potion swap techniques need to be added.

Dark cloak+invis lingering :wink:
  • brandonv516
    brandonv516
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty impressed with Magicka NB survivability this patch. Here are our advantages:

Cloak (either morph)
    Choose Shadowy Disguise (SD) for invisibility and build for speed (also combine Concealed Weapon) or choose Dark Cloak (DC) to heal and combine with Dampen/Harness.

Race Against Time (RaT) or Phantasmal Blur (PB)
    Removing immobilizing and snare effects is vital and honestly a game changer versus some builds now.

Choose either more critical damage/speed (RaT) and combine with SD or more survivability (PB) and combine with DC.

Shade
    I think there's one choice here for PvP and that's Shadow Image. It can bug out but more times than not it has saved me. Get good with this skill - plan ahead when fighting.

Merciless Resolve
    Oh boy. Everyone thought this skill was going to be ***. I did too and I was wrong.

Minor Berserk was removed - no problem - it still hits like a truck even in no-CP. It can be dodged but I can force people to get hit by it.

This skill takes some strategy because you need to hold the Assassin's Will proc for the mitigation until you absolutely need to fire it. That mitigation is noticeable, especially when you combine it with a source of Major Protection.

I don't like the heal though. I think it goes wasted. I'd much rather it be either a) another HoT or b) a healing debuff on the enemy.

Fear
    6 enemies is very generous. The removal of Minor Maim does not noticeably hurt the class.

Other notes:

Incapacitating Strike
    I personally like it.

Reave is no joke when combined with Siphoning Strikes/Attacks and resource poisons.

Silence on this skill is still new so many people freak out and don't know what to do. I love watching it!

Debilitate
    I'm working with this and it seems very good.

Minor Magickasteal, a strong DoT, and a snare. Very good combination in my opinion.
    Edited by brandonv516 on June 10, 2019 5:19PM
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with Brandon. Still haven’t been able to work shade, debilitate and incap into a build. I’ll check them out.
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • Insco851
    Insco851
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agreed 100%

Rat+Harness+Dark cloak+Shade.... sooooo strong. You can elude the zerglings that chase and pull them to advantageous locations for super kite-y kills.
  • brandonv516
    brandonv516
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Iskiab wrote: »
    I agree with Brandon. Still haven’t been able to work shade, debilitate and incap into a build. I’ll check them out.

Strictly for my damage MagNB:

Front
    Swallow soul
    Shadowy disguise
    Concealed weapon
    Debilitate
    Merciless resolve
    INCAP

Back
    RaT
    Healing ward
    Mass hysteria
    Shadow image
    Siphoning attacks
    RESTO ULT/SOUL SIPHON

Works for me personally, may not be ideal for many. My back bar hasn't changed in a LONG time and only improved with this patch.
  • Insco851
    Insco851
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Strictly for my damage MagNB:

Front
    Swallow soul
    Shadowy disguise
    Concealed weapon
    Debilitate
    Merciless resolve
    INCAP

Back
    RaT
    Healing ward
    Mass hysteria
    Shadow image
    Siphoning attacks
    RESTO ULT/SOUL SIPHON

Works for me personally, may not be ideal for many. My back bar hasn't changed in a LONG time and only improved with this patch.

I don’t run incap but...

Debilitate and shade backbar is my preference. Soul harvest fb obviously.

I kinda miss the immobilize from cripple but the extra sustain is really nice considering soft cc’s are nearly useless now.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Nice, I’ve finalized my healing and damage NB, maybe I’ll start playing my magblade dps alt again.

I’ll copy your build Brandon but am thinking for my front bar:

Inner light - debilitate - flame reach - merciless - impale?/disguise? - incap

Spinners x5, 3x willpower, vDSA flame staff, vBRP resto on the back. I want to try pure range
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • ccmedaddy
    ccmedaddy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Why incap over soul harvest though? I played around with both mag and stamNB last weekend and found that soul harvest is vastly superior, especially against tankier targets. I'm seriously considering switching to soul harvest on my stamblade lol.
  • brandonv516
    brandonv516
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ccmedaddy wrote: »
    Why incap over soul harvest though? I played around with both mag and stamNB last weekend and found that soul harvest is vastly superior, especially against tankier targets. I'm seriously considering switching to soul harvest on my stamblade lol.

Yeah definitely agree that SH is likely far superior.

I like Incap right now though because the novelty of the silence hasn't worn off yet with players making it surprisingly effective at times.

I actually think DboS is better than both choices so I'll likely go back to that eventually.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Is it possible to secure kills without a damage ult? I really like undo as an ultimate to get out of situations where you’re cc’d and 2 opponents are about to PK you.
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • kaithuzar
    kaithuzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it possible to secure kills without a damage ult? I really like undo as an ultimate to get out of situations where you’re cc’d and 2 opponents are about to PK you.

So if they have debilitate on them & you’re weaving swallow soul down to around 70-75% health, I’m not sure if you would fear first or incap first, but if you could “daisy-chain” cc’s; the longer your opponent is doing nothing, ie..not blocking, dodge rolling, shielding, etc... the longer you have to weave your combo.
    BUT this would likely require impale just to ensure the kill.

I’ve been having a lot of fun fear into soul harvest. Doesn’t work as well on tanky targets, but it’s still nice.

I just wish assassin’s will/merciless wasn’t so buggy!
    I weave to get the proc up,
    Lotus fan in,
    Hit the proc button,
    OMG I just refreshed the skill cooldown instead of firing!!! WTF!!!!!

Especially happens if you lotus fan, fear, hit the proc. How I’m I being registered out of combat or the duration is ticking off when I’m fighting the whole time, MAYBE it takes 5 seconds at most to do that combo, I just don’t see how it’s so glitchy.
    Edited by kaithuzar on June 11, 2019 1:40AM
    Member of:
    Fantasia - osh kosh b-josh
    Just Chill - Crown's house
    GoldCloaks - Durruthy test server penga
    Small Meme Guild - Mano's house

Former member of:
    Legend - Siffer fan boy club
    TKO (tamriel knight's order) - free bks
    Deviance - Leonard's senche tiger
    Purple - hamNchz is my hero
    Eight Divines - myrlifax stop playing final fantasy
    WKB (we kill bosses) - turd where you go?
    Arcance Council - Klytz Kommander
    World Boss - Mike & Chewy gone EP
    M12 (majestic twelve) - cult of the loli zerg
  • zammo
    zammo
    ✭✭✭
    kaithuzar wrote: »
    I just wish assassin’s will/merciless wasn’t so buggy!
    I weave to get the proc up,
    Lotus fan in,
    Hit the proc button,
    OMG I just refreshed the skill cooldown instead of firing!!! WTF!!!!!

Especially happens if you lotus fan, fear, hit the proc. How I’m I being registered out of combat or the duration is ticking off when I’m fighting the whole time, MAYBE it takes 5 seconds at most to do that combo, I just don’t see how it’s so glitchy.

Glad it's not just me that gets this :)
  • Knootewoot
    Knootewoot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Biggest leverage a magblade has is,

You can stop playing pvp, and nobody will miss you.
    ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
    "I am a nightblade. Blending the disciplines of the stealthy agent and subtle wizard, I move unseen and undetected, foil locks and traps, and teleport to safety when threatened, or strike like a viper from ambush. The College of Illusion hides me and fuddles or pacifies my opponents. The College of Mysticism detects my object, reflects and dispels enemy spells, and makes good my escape. The key to a nightblade's success is avoidance, by spell or by stealth; with these skills, all things are possible."
  • HEBREWHAMMERRR
    HEBREWHAMMERRR
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    fred4 wrote: »
    Well I got elsweyr finally last night and my magblade is rocking 60k max mag while having shade / cloak to escape. Also have 16.6k stam, 24.6 and 21.5k resistances, 1950 impen and 2050 recovery with 41% crit. So I don’t think other classes can achieve those numbers. As stated, the issue is our self healing. The mitigation from bow is nice and indirectly reduces healing needed. Still playing around with everything. More realistically I will probably drop some mag glyphs for tri stat and mage mundus for lady.

60k lol. Is that with necro/Alfiq?
    Until he posts his build on UESP, I won't believe a thing, specifically how you get that much mag AND that much stam AND that much regen together. If this is real at all, it probably includes vamp, Continuous Attack, potion buff and who knows what else. Hopefully not Imperial Physique.

As to other classes achieving the same mag, sure they can. Warden gets the same magicka buffs as magblade and it's arguably easier to keep Necropotence up. Then compare the tooltip of warden birds with Swallow Soul and weep.

Here you go.
    https://imgur.com/gallery/egYZ1pd

This is no continuous, no emp. Only a potion up and shadow passives for Major. I run weapon damage enchant (not procd) on front bar and infused absorb mag back bar for extra sustain.
    Edited by HEBREWHAMMERRR on June 11, 2019 2:26PM
  • Insco851
    Insco851
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well I got elsweyr finally last night and my magblade is rocking 60k max mag while having shade / cloak to escape. Also have 16.6k stam, 24.6 and 21.5k resistances, 1950 impen and 2050 recovery with 41% crit. So I don’t think other classes can achieve those numbers. As stated, the issue is our self healing. The mitigation from bow is nice and indirectly reduces healing needed. Still playing around with everything. More realistically I will probably drop some mag glyphs for tri stat and mage mundus for lady.

Until he posts his build on UESP, I won't believe a thing, specifically how you get that much mag AND that much stam AND that much regen together. If this is real at all, it probably includes vamp, Continuous Attack, potion buff and who knows what else. Hopefully not Imperial Physique.

As to other classes achieving the same mag, sure they can. Warden gets the same magicka buffs as magblade and it's arguably easier to keep Necropotence up. Then compare the tooltip of warden birds with Swallow Soul and weep.

Here you go.

This is no continuous, no emp. Only a potion up and shadow passives for Major. I run weapon damage enchant (not procd) on front bar and infused absorb mag back bar for extra sustain.

Yup. Wasn’t hard to recreate. Hella stats lol.

Btw... while most magblades been all about the solo life... fear makes us so incredibly potent in group play now. Had a small group in IC last night and fear+timed ults was devastating. As well as a way to save teammates by getting multiple attackers off in an instant.

It’s a small group utility compared to some specs but... more than we had previously.
  • HEBREWHAMMERRR
    HEBREWHAMMERRR
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Here you go.

Btw... while most magblades been all about the solo life... fear makes us so incredibly potent in group play now. Had a small group in IC last night and fear+timed ults was devastating. As well as a way to save teammates by getting multiple attackers off in an instant.

It’s a small group utility compared to some specs but... more than we had previously.

Yeah class feels better than it has in a long time.
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Here you go.

crafty, necro, tri food, atro 1 SDenchant?
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • HEBREWHAMMERRR
    HEBREWHAMMERRR
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Minno wrote: »

Here you go.

crafty, necro, tri food, atro 1 SDenchant?

Nah, Mage mundus, 3 recovery glyphs all protective. I’d drop some recov but I run this stuff interchangeably with my magsorc and prefer the extra recovery for him.
  • Insco851
    Insco851
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Here you go.

Think I saw you for a split second in elvin gardens cp-Ic last night.

And yea.. class feels great. Mere I say... balanced.
    Edited by Insco851 on June 11, 2019 5:36PM
  • HEBREWHAMMERRR
    HEBREWHAMMERRR
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Here you go.

And yea.. class feels great. Mere I saw... balanced.

Yeah I’ve been in sewers mostly while waiting for my BG ques. Way less lag and decent small scale down there. Plus the telvar helps for getting potion mats 👍🏻
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Here you go.

Almost yea. There are only two issues I see:

1. Refreshing Path’s area is too small (comparing the ability to say ritual for Templars highlight’s the weakness)

2. Siphoning skill line seems to push NBs towards using Swallow Soul... and I hate that ability, it’s still too weak. I still think it’s the worst spammable in the game. Even crushing shock hits harder because of destro passives and it not being a projectile. PvE it’s okay, in pvp it’s terrible.
    Edited by Iskiab on June 11, 2019 6:00PM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • Insco851
    Insco851
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Here you go.

1. Refreshing Path’s area is too small (comparing the ability to say ritual for Templars highlight’s the weakness)

2. Siphoning skill line seems to push NBs towards using Swallow Soul... and I hate that ability, it’s still too weak. I still think it’s the worst spammable in the game. Even crushing shock hits harder because of destro passives and it not being a projectile. PvE it’s okay, in pvp it’s terrible.

I don’t use refreshing but I can agree.

Swallow... until they make it a flat heal not tied to dmg...it is what it is. I’m not a fan of it either but passives Dictate usage.
  • exeeter702
    exeeter702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Here you go.

Its getting a bit exhausting having to constantly defend refreshing path here. It is much cheaper than ritual and it is specifically designed with that radius and the movement speed buff because the active effects of path linger for 2 seconds after you leave the path. Assuming you are fighting in the area, the effective range coverage of path is much greater than its tooltip implies. With major expedition, you can practically extened the path width by 5 meters on every side. None of which says anything to the fact that its the most cost effective way to maintain shadow barrier passives on 5L builds.
    Edited by exeeter702 on June 11, 2019 9:43PM
  • Koensol
    Koensol
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    exeeter702 wrote: »

Here you go.

Its getting a bit exhausting having to constantly defend refreshing path here. It is much cheaper than ritual and it is specifically designed with that radius and the movement speed buff because the active effects of path linger for 2 seconds after you leave the path. Assuming you are fighting in the area, the effective range coverage of path is much greater than its tooltip implies. With major expedition, you can practically extened the path width by 5 meters on every side. None of which says anything to the fact that its the most cost effective way to maintain shadow barrier passives on 5L builds.
    100% agreed. Refreshing path is my favourite magblade ability and will always be my bread and butter buff tool. Shadow passives, speed, healing, group utility. It's just great. Now with phantasmal escape it just got even better.

Overall this patch has been insane for magblade. Im running around on a 5L build with 20.9k - 18.8k resist yet I am pretty tanky with minor protection (dark cloak), major evasion (phantasmal escape) and the 15% mitigation from merciless... And a big dampen magicka shield on top with 4 consistent hots (swallow soul, siphoning strikes, refreshing path and dark cloak) and double drain health poisons.

I mean we lost the minor berserk, but I feel we got that much more survivability now that we can actually spec for more damage. Really enjoying the class for solo and small scale again.
    Edited by Koensol on June 11, 2019 10:07PM
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Here you go.

It is the most efficient way, for me at least as a healer, to maintain the shadow passives agreed.

However the major expedition doesn’t stick for two seconds after leaving the path, that’s incorrect. Only the hot portion stays for 2 seconds after leaving the area.

You can test it pretty easily. Run in a straight line and cast refreshing path. The total expedition time is 2-3 seconds.
    Edited by Iskiab on June 11, 2019 10:14PM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • Insco851
    Insco851
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Here you go.

It is the most efficient way, for me at least as a healer, to maintain the shadow passives agreed.

However the major expedition doesn’t stick for two seconds after leaving the path, that’s incorrect. Only the hot portion stays for 2 seconds after leaving the area.

You can test it pretty easily. Run in a straight line and cast refreshing path. The total expedition time is 2-3 seconds.

Sprint* makes path bad. Normal expedition use in an area from a support spec is fine cuz I’m not casting it... terrible at actually being a mobility skill solo.
    Edited by Insco851 on June 11, 2019 10:23PM
  • exeeter702
    exeeter702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Here you go.

Major Expedition and the hot both linger for 2 seconds after leaving the path,. Im not sure how you are choosing to set up your UI and if you do not have buff timers on display but you should probably change that.
    Edited by exeeter702 on June 12, 2019 4:35AM