The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

MagNB - What is our advantage to leverage?

• GhostofDatthaw
    GhostofDatthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm really interested about the healing Ward changes. what was it like a buff shield and it adds a hot through the duration instead of a burst at the end. I'm not exactly sure how that is going to work out the size of the Shield but it is an interesting change that I'm going to test that with the new Rapids and dark Cloak could be a lot of incoming heals.

Holy run-on sentence Batman thank you talk to text
  • Insco851
    Insco851
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm really interested about the healing Ward changes. what was it like a buff shield and it adds a hot through the duration instead of a burst at the end. I'm not exactly sure how that is going to work out the size of the Shield but it is an interesting change that I'm going to test that with the new Rapids and dark Cloak could be a lot of incoming heals.

Huge nerf in size however but I could see Invis cloak magblade using it very well. Healing ward >cloak. Gonna get a few sweet ticks. Dark cloak magblade might not see much if any benefit with a shield size of ... 7k? At low health? 300 to 100 modifier is SIGNIFICANT.

Now regeneration... that could be big. Either morph looks good. Harness Magicka could find its way off a lot of bars with that sort of hot coming in. Could always add in entropy now as well for another tick. Especially for spell damage builds.
    Edited by Insco851 on July 8, 2019 6:02PM
  • GhostofDatthaw
    GhostofDatthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Insco851 wrote: »

Huge nerf in size however but I could see Invis cloak magblade using it very well. Healing ward >cloak. Gonna get a few sweet ticks. Dark cloak magblade might not see much if any benefit with a shield size of ... 7k? At low health? 300 to 100 modifier is SIGNIFICANT.

Now regeneration... that could be big. Either morph looks good. Harness Magicka could find its way off a lot of bars with that sort of hot coming in. Could always add in entropy now as well for another tick. Especially for spell damage builds.

Ohhhhh yeah OK I misread that all I saw was 14% shield size. I didn't see they drop dang 200% from the multiplier.... damn it zos'd again.
  • GhostofDatthaw
    GhostofDatthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So for what it's worth. I've finally gotten comfortable with a build. The gear is nothing special just meta crap. Pirate skeleton monster, btb body, spinner jewel/inferno (1 infused recov, 2 protective sp), still rocking the vma resto.

Bars is what I've been tinkerin with so much lately. Ive finally settled on being a melee kite with shadow cloak. I was running dark forever and it just never really did it for me. It's a great option and a fun plays type but in the end I feel it was just not my cup of tea. Only for those days I want to brawl a little more or duel.

Front bar I'm running debilitate, mercy, shadow cloak, concealed, lotus, soul harvest, double dot poisons.

Back bar I'm running dampen, rat, shadow, swallow soul, mutagen, life giver.

I finally just had to adjust my play style back to a time when I ran a 2h/resto build. I thought with this much mobility now I need to try a similar style to how I played during through swift meta. Cloak around with shade building proc on resto bar then gap close and burst. Rinse, repeat.

Been working well for me
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I’m not sure if I’m over reacting but I’m crazy worried about melee stam this coming patch. 2h will be the most popular I think and it’ll have great burst.

Thinking of starting with my build as is and then adapting as necessary, but if it doesn’t work first thing I’m going to try is going back to Shadowy Disguise. Classes like stamwarden will be disgusting again with a bugs > stampede > dizzy combo being able to put out 10-15k in a second, then follow it up with an onslaught or perma.
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • kaithuzar
    kaithuzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good points:
    Blessing of resto (my burst heal) is getting a slight ~3% buff
    Bleeds will be resisted by physical resistance

Bad points:
    Many other classes, particularly stam, are getting some crazy buffs that will make fighting them difficult.
    Member of:
    Fantasia - osh kosh b-josh
    Just Chill - Crown's house
    GoldCloaks - Durruthy test server penga
    Small Meme Guild - Mano's house

Former member of:
    Legend - Siffer fan boy club
    TKO (tamriel knight's order) - free bks
    Deviance - Leonard's senche tiger
    Purple - hamNchz is my hero
    Eight Divines - myrlifax stop playing final fantasy
    WKB (we kill bosses) - turd where you go?
    Arcance Council - Klytz Kommander
    World Boss - Mike & Chewy gone EP
    M12 (majestic twelve) - cult of the loli zerg
  • GhostofDatthaw
    GhostofDatthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm more worried about templar bubbles than anything atm... we got's no clense
  • thankyourat
    thankyourat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kaithuzar wrote: »
    Good points:

Bad points:
    Many other classes, particularly stam, are getting some crazy buffs that will make fighting them difficult.

Medium armor builds are getting buffed. The heavy armor high weapon damage builds are being nerfed as well as sword and board being used as a offensive weapon. This is why I think magblade will end up in a better spot overall. Even a Relatively low damage magblade can burst a medium armor build. It’s looking like a lot more players will be using dizzy which is also pretty easy to avoid and kite as a magblade. Resto staff healing is also getting buffed like you mentioned so that’s a net buff for magblade as well. I think stamina builds will be overall easier to fight because they won’t be in heavy anymore. When you hit a medium armor build with a spectral bow they lose like 70% of their health lol. I think action will be more fast pace which is a big benefit to magblade
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Good points:

Bad points:

Medium armor builds are getting buffed. The heavy armor high weapon damage builds are being nerfed as well as sword and board being used as a offensive weapon. This is why I think magblade will end up in a better spot overall. Even a Relatively low damage magblade can burst a medium armor build. It’s looking like a lot more players will be using dizzy which is also pretty easy to avoid and kite as a magblade. Resto staff healing is also getting buffed like you mentioned so that’s a net buff for magblade as well. I think stamina builds will be overall easier to fight because they won’t be in heavy anymore. When you hit a medium armor build with a spectral bow they lose like 70% of their health lol. I think action will be more fast pace which is a big benefit to magblade

Really? My take was the exact opposite. Medium armour will be:
    - more damage (from buffs)
    - better healing (improved vigor)
    - more burst (onslaught buff)
    - more mobile (new shuffle with major evasion, cc immunity for 10 seconds, with major expedition

I mean you can spam rat once every 4 seconds and try to kite them, but that will be hard when they’ll be faster and have a bow on their back bar. Plus stampede I believe breaks cloak which will render cloak useless.

My 5x med stamcro has 30k resists, and with shuffle will be buffed out the wazoo. I’m dw-bow now but 2h bow seems like an obvious choice. Since I’m already at 2100 stam recovery you will also have 0 chance of out sustaining me.

I’ll probably change two jewellery to swift and run steed after the patch, so my resists will only be 27k but that’s plenty with the new improved self healing.
    Edited by Iskiab on July 12, 2019 3:58AM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • thankyourat
    thankyourat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Iskiab wrote: »
    Good points:

Bad points:

- more mobile (new shuffle with major evasion, cc immunity for 10 seconds, with major expedition

I mean you can spam rat once every 4 seconds and try to kite them, but that will be hard when they’ll be faster and have a bow on their back bar. Plus stampede I believe breaks cloak which will render cloak useless.

My 5x med stamcro has 30k resists, and with shuffle will be buffed out the wazoo. I’m dw-bow now but 2h bow seems like an obvious choice. Since I’m already at 2100 stam recovery you will also have 0 chance of out sustaining me.

I’ll probably change two jewellery to swift and run steed after the patch, so my resists will only be 27k but that’s plenty with the new improved self healing.

The self healing will basically break even vigor was made stronger but the hot from rally was removed and the burst heal will take longer to reach full strength. Actually light armor is more burst damage it just takes more time to proc. Even with 30k resist after you factor in all the pen a spectral bow from a well built Nightblade will hit you For at least 10k maybe even more when boosted by soul harvest and minor vulnerability. Magblade May have a lot of problems but it’s one of the best 1v1 classes around. What it basically comes down to is magblade damage is so high that it will always be dangerous vs light and medium armor targets. Soul harvest puts tremendous pressure on players as well so even if you don’t kill them they will kill their resource pool staying alive.

I don’t know if stam is actually more mobile either. Magblade has cloak, snare immunity and the ability to teleport around LoS. So magblade has just as high burst damage as medium builds with just as much mobility it’s just not as simple to access (melee magblade has insane mobility right now). The reason magblade is bad right now is not because of damage and mobility it’s because it has no healing which is the most important aspect of PvP. So what I’m basically hoping will happen is the resto staff changes be enough to give magblades reliable healing and all those ridiculous heavy armor 6k weapon damage builds disappear.

This isn’t to say magblade will be in a great spot, because magblade offense is often complex and has pitiful spammable damage and you often have to play perfectly to get the most out of the class. But that wtf burst is there and that’s what makes the class dangerous. Overall I think magblade will have more burst than all medium armor classes and be more mobile than most. Stamina for sure have better healing because of access to a burst heal and much higher spammable damage. Magblade also has a 12k damage shield now that most builds will use dampen.
  • Rianai
    Rianai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem vs medium is that pretty much all magblade skills are dodgeable, so good luck landing a soul harvest into merciless against a medium players who is not afk. And it is not just offense that suffers from getting dodged, sustain and healing also does to some extent (tho buffed rr/mutagen will certainly help).

Medium armor also doesn't neccessary equal being squishy. Players can still stack defensive sets and be just as tanky (you already see that with light armor builds). Ofc this will come with a considerable dmg loss, but it is not like that stops players from running stalemate builds now.

So i'm not sure if a medium meta is actually better for magblades.
    Edited by Rianai on July 12, 2019 10:41AM
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Good points:

Bad points:

The self healing will basically break even vigor was made stronger but the hot from rally was removed and the burst heal will take longer to reach full strength. Actually light armor is more burst damage it just takes more time to proc. Even with 30k resist after you factor in all the pen a spectral bow from a well built Nightblade will hit you For at least 10k maybe even more when boosted by soul harvest and minor vulnerability. Magblade May have a lot of problems but it’s one of the best 1v1 classes around. What it basically comes down to is magblade damage is so high that it will always be dangerous vs light and medium armor targets. Soul harvest puts tremendous pressure on players as well so even if you don’t kill them they will kill their resource pool staying alive.

I don’t know if stam is actually more mobile either. Magblade has cloak, snare immunity and the ability to teleport around LoS. So magblade has just as high burst damage as medium builds with just as much mobility it’s just not as simple to access (melee magblade has insane mobility right now). The reason magblade is bad right now is not because of damage and mobility it’s because it has no healing which is the most important aspect of PvP. So what I’m basically hoping will happen is the resto staff changes be enough to give magblades reliable healing and all those ridiculous heavy armor 6k weapon damage builds disappear.

This isn’t to say magblade will be in a great spot, because magblade offense is often complex and has pitiful spammable damage and you often have to play perfectly to get the most out of the class. But that wtf burst is there and that’s what makes the class dangerous. Overall I think magblade will have more burst than all medium armor classes and be more mobile than most. Stamina for sure have better healing because of access to a burst heal and much higher spammable damage. Magblade also has a 12k damage shield now that most builds will use dampen.

10k merciless? I’ve never been hit by a merciless for 10k. Maybe on the lower defense builds.

In BGs I’ve seen some magblades do on the low average level, but never great. I don’t understand how it can be a great 1v1 class but do poorly in BGs? I don’t duel so find this confusing.
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • Insco851
    Insco851
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good points:

Bad points:

10k merciless? I’ve never been hit by a merciless for 10k. Maybe on the lower defense builds.

In BGs I’ve seen some magblades do on the low average level, but never great. I don’t understand how it can be a great 1v1 class but do poorly in BGs? I don’t duel so find this confusing.

On my mnb- with 28k resists. No idea where my merciless stacks were- I’ve been clipped by 11k bow procs in cp-pvp.

And my cp alignment isn’t on some noob ish either.

Dog pile 4stacks and a long delayed burst build up- harder to line up the kill combo in bgs from my experience. 1v1 it’s like a ticking time bomb.
    Edited by Insco851 on July 12, 2019 1:37PM
  • kaithuzar
    kaithuzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good points:

Bad points:

It’s because we can mitigate the damage of one person but trying to fend off incoming damage from 2+ players is nearly impossible.
    Member of:

Former member of:
  • brandonv516
    brandonv516
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Good points:

Bad points:

Some people run really low resistances must be:

https://youtu.be/5rPSUeuOve4
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Good points:

Bad points:

It’s because we can mitigate the damage of one person but trying to fend off incoming damage from 2+ players is nearly impossible.

Ah this makes total sense, like glass cannon sorcs. They can shield through one player’s damage but put them in a BG and they’re a free kill or have to play really defensively.
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • thankyourat
    thankyourat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good points:

Bad points:

It’s because magblade damage is primarily all single target while also offering very little to overall group composition. It’s pretty much the complete opposite of stamina warden which is kind of poor 1v1 but really shines in group play. 9k to 10k is usually what my merciless crits for against really tanky targets that would probably be a little lower in no cp maybe around 8k. against standard medium builds merciless usually crits for about 14k fully buffed. I don’t think it’s unreasonable for the rouge class to excel in solo play but offer very little group utility though. Nightblade just isn’t a classed designed for battlegrounds. With the spectral bow though I’ve hit softer targets for well over 18k and will occasionally see hits of 25k or higher.
  • GhostofDatthaw
    GhostofDatthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So really brief half ass run of the idea for next patch.

Skoria, shackle heavy body, overwhelming jewels, inferno, snb.

Bars
    Fb inferno
    Structured entropy, mercy, ele block, swallow soul, debilitate, soul harvest
    Bb snb (don't have overwhelming resto atmy stole this gear from my temp, next patch definitely will be resto possibly defending)
    Dark cloak, sap essence, fear, mirage, refreshing, teather (when I farm resto 100% dropping sap for mutagen)

Ran a few bgs with this setup and it works surprisingly well. The dots add so much pressure and the mitigation from cloak and mercy allow you to be pretty damn tanky. Mirage and refreshing path are amazing synergy imo, tanky stand your ground or kite the hell away choice with them.

Either way I'm slightly excited and also nervous for next patch.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Bars
    Fb inferno
    Bb snb (don't have overwhelming resto atmy stole this gear from my temp, next patch definitely will be resto possibly defending)
    Dark cloak, sap essence, fear, mirage, refreshing, teather (when I farm resto 100% dropping sap for mutagen)

Ran a few bgs with this setup and it works surprisingly well. The dots add so much pressure and the mitigation from cloak and mercy allow you to be pretty damn tanky. Mirage and refreshing path are amazing synergy imo, tanky stand your ground or kite the hell away choice with them.

Nice, this puts my mind at ease. The combination I use is refreshing path, dark cloak and harness magicka. What scares me most are 2h stam and onslaught, it looks like it’ll be nasty.and as a healer I’m struggling to figure out a good counter because I’m expecting nasty burst.

Not to burst your bubble or anything, but last PTS I think I did 3 BGs and went 7-1, 7-0 and 8-0. It takes a while for people to get comfortable so it might not perform as well on live as PTS. That plus everyone who tests is great, but they might be goofing around and using the opportunity to try things, vs live where you’re fighting a lot of mains in high MMR.

I was thinking about how best to counter burst and think the combination of % mitigation and strong self healing might be enough. IDK yet. If you can provide any insight that’d be great.
    Edited by Iskiab on July 13, 2019 4:18AM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • thankyourat
    thankyourat
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Bars
    Fb inferno

Im actually kind of excited for this patch as well. I want to theory craft different types of magblade builds also and I think that part of magblade will be back next patch. I have a few heavy armor builds I want to try and I’ll probably switch over to melee magblade for my primary open world build.
  • GhostofDatthaw
    GhostofDatthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Bars
    Fb inferno

Nice, this puts my mind at ease. The combination I use is refreshing path, dark cloak and harness magicka. What scares me most are 2h stam and onslaught, it looks like it’ll be nasty.and as a healer I’m struggling to figure out a good counter because I’m expecting nasty burst.

Not to burst your bubble or anything, but last PTS I think I did 3 BGs and went 7-1, 7-0 and 8-0. It takes a while for people to get comfortable so it might not perform as well on live as PTS. That plus everyone who tests is great, but they might be goofing around and using the opportunity to try things, vs live where you’re fighting a lot of mains in high MMR.

I was thinking about how best to counter burst and think the combination of % mitigation and strong self healing might be enough. IDK yet. If you can provide any insight that’d be great.

Other than burst anticipation and block/cloak/shield/roll. we gonna have to rely on hots and dark cloak. I think defending resto with heavy might be my bread and butter but only time will tell if it's viable.

Bars
    Fb inferno

Im actually kind of excited for this patch as well. I want to theory craft different types of magblade builds also and I think that part of magblade will be back next patch. I have a few heavy armor builds I want to try and I’ll probably switch over to melee magblade for my primary open world build.

Yeah I love theory crafting, I feel like I run a different style like every other night. If something flows well I will play it for a week or so and then save it to my dressing room tab
  • brandonv516
    brandonv516
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Bars
    Fb inferno

Other than burst anticipation and block/cloak/shield/roll. we gonna have to rely on hots and dark cloak. I think defending resto with heavy might be my bread and butter but only time will tell if it's viable.

Bars
    Fb inferno

Yeah I love theory crafting, I feel like I run a different style like every other night. If something flows well I will play it for a week or so and then save it to my dressing room tab

I changed mine up again too in anticipation for cost increases to a few skills.

Destro/resto
    1 willpower inferno
    5 lich (backbar resto)
    5 btb
    2 engine guardian

Bars:
    Swallow soul
    Shadowy disguise
    Lotus fan
    Mass hysteria
    Merciless resolve
    ULT: Soul harvest

RaT
    Healing ward
    Mutagen
    Shadow image
    Siphoning attacks
    ULT: Light's champion

Still getting 1m+ single target damage in BGs and never run out of magicka lol. I'll likely keep running this until the next patch so I'm comfortable when it hits.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @brandonv516

I don’t know if you’ve seen the new sustain monster helm, but it looks great. Way better then engine guardian.
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • brandonv516
    brandonv516
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @brandonv516

I don’t know if you’ve seen the new sustain monster helm, but it looks great. Way better then engine guardian.

Yeah only way I'll get it is through the golden or when there is a free ESO+ trial...I only buy chapters and even then I don't like doing that.
  • kaithuzar
    kaithuzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the dot buffs are going to be pretty strong, so valkyn skoria will be more viable on nb than it has in the past.

Since bleed builds will be mitigated by physical resistance, I’ll probably be using fortified brass & rattle cage (5L 2 heavy).
    I’m enjoying onslaught so much on live, even if they weren’t buffing it I would still use it.
    Member of:

Former member of:
  • GhostofDatthaw
    GhostofDatthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the dot buffs are going to be pretty strong, so valkyn skoria will be more viable on nb than it has in the past.

Since bleed builds will be mitigated by physical resistance, I’ll probably be using fortified brass & rattle cage (5L 2 heavy).
    I’m enjoying onslaught so much on live, even if they weren’t buffing it I would still use it.

I always forget about rattle, but with the buff to entropy it might be redundant if you want the dots. Fort brass in light is always a good option, I'm probably going to try and run another reactive build again. I've found reactive with lich in bgs to be pretty strong, just lacking damage. Now it might be more viable with all the dot buffs.
  • Metemsycosis
    Metemsycosis
    ✭✭✭✭
    Anyone see blobs magblade? Hist sp, clever alchemist, pirate skeleton. Has everything except mobility. Not relly my style but seems brilliant.
    Terethea Magdalena, Breton Nightblade
    A Dark-Adapted Eye, Imperial Necromancer

sanguinare vampiris

https://m.twitch.tv/amcrenshaw/profile
  • kaithuzar
    kaithuzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yea, so it kinda sucks but you unfortunately can’t run 2 heavy sets & maintain 5 light.
    This is why brass is a must imo:
    I don’t use shields otherwise armor master would be better.
    I can’t do pariah b/c that’s another heavy set.
    Can’t do wizards riposte b/c it was pretty nerfed.
    I’ve used impreg before & it’s ok, but think brass could be better, also impreg lost some crit resistance in a previous patch.

Such as rattle + alessian which is what I’m trying out right now & just using mark target to make up for the missing penetration.
    It’s ok but it’s really hard to test due to the terrible lag & performance issues.

It’s also really inconvenient in the heat of a large scale fight to have to mark someone before lotus fan & moving in on them.
    I can’t wait to get rid of Alessian & swap for fortified brass next patch!

Member of:

Former member of:
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone see blobs magblade? Hist sp, clever alchemist, pirate skeleton. Has everything except mobility. Not relly my style but seems brilliant.

Haven’t seen it, link it. Hist sap and pirate skeleton are both good sets, clever alchemist I only like when combined with a weapon set on one bar since you can pot with the 5 piece and bar swop.

I play no-CP and a lot of builds I see only work in CP so don’t look often. I’ve never seen a build without a sustain set work in no-CP.

Think post patch refreshing path will be good enough to use on every magblade build. I think it’ll be one of the best ways to get the shadow passives.

Refreshing + mutagen + dark cloak should be great. I’m not sure if I will need harness too.

With shuffle as is on PTS I think magblades who rely on mobility will have a harder time, but am not sure.
    Edited by Iskiab on July 14, 2019 10:12PM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • GhostofDatthaw
    GhostofDatthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have never been a fan of CA, IMO I think it sucks. But one of the better magnbs I know pcna who tends to mollywomp me runs it. CA comes down to, do you want to plan burst around pots. If you can't run that style (me) then CA is babbage. If that's something you can get comfortable wit that's cool too