Maintenance for the week of July 8:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance - July 8
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – July 9, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – July 10, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – July 10, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Are the "Dragon's " in Elsweyr miss identified ?

• Aztrias
    Aztrias
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All this talk of wyverns makes me feel nostalgic
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwjEgEOLuyk[/media]
    Welcome Moon-and-Star to this place where destiny is made

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/498360/r-i-p-pc-eu/p1
    Nerevar forget!
    Options
  • YaYaPineapple
    YaYaPineapple
    ✭✭✭✭
    pedant noun
    ped·​ant | \ ˈpe-dᵊnt\

Definition of pedant:

1a : one who is unimaginative or who unduly emphasizes minutiae in the presentation or use of knowledge

As many have said, wyvern is a type of dragon. I don't care how many legs or wings it has, or doesn't have.
    Options
  • Shievarei
    Shievarei
    ✭✭✭
    Try looking up Nafaalilargus.
    Options
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    While the core issue here is certainly pedantry, let's not let OP off the hook for false equivalencies ("Then I guess dolphins are sharks, right?"), bizarre insinuations about generational differences being responsible for us losing the "truth" about mythical creatures, and my personal favorite:
    People say that dragons are mythical creatures because no evidence has been found of there existence yet almost every culture around the know world has some form of flying serpent in there lore I find that a bit strange consider golbal communication supposedly wasn't a thing. Just like all the ancient megalithic structures were built with chisels and hammers right

310p8m.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
    Options
  • EölMPK
    EölMPK
    ✭✭✭
    Game of Thrones and Skyrim are probably the most popular modern day depictions of dragons out there. Both are technically wyverns yet are simply called dragons.

Why? Because everyone knows what a dragon is but it takes a fantasy nerd to know what a wyvern is. Wyvern doesn't roll off the tongue. Tell a random person on a street that you like wyverns and most of them will have no clue what you mean. But everyone knows what a dragon is.

Not to mention the fact WYVERNS ARE DRAGONS.

They are not, they just copied Dungeons and Dragons, so D&D is the the most popular modern implementation of dragons.
    Eöl[MPK]
    PS4
    Grungebr - Altmer magicka templar
    Eölbr - Dunmer magicka necro
    Drizztbr - Khajiit stamina nb
    "In my thoughts and in my dreams, they're always in my mind
    These songs of hobbits, dwarves and men, and elves
    Come close your eyes, you can see them too...
    "

Options
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neither, they're actually Jills.
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
    Options
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    All dragons after all
    ar2lainljj621.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=0b265fcbbd0874b36c9a41f61528d8b840fe3f8e
    Edited by redlink1979 on May 15, 2019 2:07PM
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
    Options
  • xeNNNNN
    xeNNNNN
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It seems to me there are allot of misconceptions and miss identifications of Dragons in today's modern age . Simply put Dragons have 4 legs and wings whereas Wyvren's which is the artists rendition in the expansion have 2 legs and wings attached to the arms making them Wyvren's . Historically or mythologically ESO's classification of the creatures are incorrect.
    Why don't we call carnotaurus a tyrannosaurus? Because they are not the same creature and identifying one as the other is incorrect.

I think this should be changed asap younger people who are ignorant of the fact or people may just not know the difference or the truth. I think misleading people into thinking these are dragons and not wyverns is not right. Please just call them as they are "Wyvrens" or design actual Dragons for the game please and thank you.

Fantasy worlds are not the same as the real world and thus have their own identifiers, dragons in elder scrolls are what you see in skyrim and here.
    Ah, e-communities - the "pinnacle" of the internet............yeah, right.
    Options
  • Reistr_the_Unbroken
    Reistr_the_Unbroken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mague wrote: »
    Benzux wrote: »
    Not too sure if troll or serious, but I hope to whichever Divine or Daedra one may worship that OP is a troll. Because otherwise... I don't even know. This amount of stupidity should not be achievable.

The OP is not a troll and he is right. To name a Wyvern a dragon is as if we say Teeba-Hatsei is like Soccer or Football. Ofc. it doesnt matter to much and Zenimax most probaly will not change the mistake. But calling the truth stupid is wrong.

Ask Rochford if they want their Wyvern called a dragon

Um- sorry but a wyvern IS IN FACT a type of dragon. It’s a subspecies aka a dragon.
    Options
  • MiguZ
    MiguZ
    ✭✭✭
    OP keeps preaching to get it right when he can't even spell "wyvern" correctly. No such thing as a "wyvren". Also the 4 legged ones without wings are called "Wyrms"
    Edited by MiguZ on May 15, 2019 4:09PM
    Options
  • Icy_Waffles
    Icy_Waffles
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are dragons. Don’t be facetious.
    Options
  • StormeReigns
    StormeReigns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    mague wrote: »
    Benzux wrote: »
    Not too sure if troll or serious, but I hope to whichever Divine or Daedra one may worship that OP is a troll. Because otherwise... I don't even know. This amount of stupidity should not be achievable.

The OP is not a troll and he is right. To name a Wyvern a dragon is as if we say Teeba-Hatsei is like Soccer or Football. Ofc. it doesnt matter to much and Zenimax most probaly will not change the mistake. But calling the truth stupid is wrong.

Ask Rochford if they want their Wyvern called a dragon

Hmm. Appears OP's second account isn't that well hidden.

Options
  • xxthir13enxx
    xxthir13enxx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    St00pid people....

That’s not a Duck! THATS A BIRD!!!
    Options
  • Zaketh
    Zaketh
    ✭✭✭
    siddique wrote: »
    I came here for the comments. 😁

Absolutely
    NA PS4
    Options
  • BuddyAces
    BuddyAces
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    People say that dragons are mythical creatures because no evidence has been found of there existence yet almost every culture around the know world has some form of flying serpent in there lore I find that a bit strange consider golbal communication supposedly wasn't a thing. Just like all the ancient megalithic structures were built with chisels and hammers right

30ysyp.jpg

G'damn that gave me a good laugh IRL. Nice one.
    They nerfed magsorcs so hard stamsorcs felt it,lol - Somber97866

I'm blown away by the utter stupidity I see here on the daily. - Wrekkedd
    Options
  • MasterSpatula
    MasterSpatula
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This thread, man.
    Edited by MasterSpatula on May 15, 2019 8:43PM
    "A probable impossibility is preferable to an improbable possibility." - Aristotle
    Options
  • Pyronico
    Pyronico
    Soul Shriven
    I am i no means an expert on these matters ( are there any even?) but i have been amazed by these fantasy creatures form a young age and have done a lot of research of dragons in literature and in world legends ( europian folklore, asian stories, south-american legends,...) so i wanted to share my part of the lore behind dragons and their classification.

Dragons as we know them in the west are reptilian beings with 1 pair of wings and 2 pair of legs, these are the most 'modern' common view of dragons. But, in african en europian legends there is also talk of dragons with only a pair of wings and one pair of legs. These dragons are called 'wyvern' and are a sub-species of the family name of 'dragons'.
    So Dragons and Wyverns are, in a sense, the same species, so you can call a wyvern a dragon but not all dragons are wyverns.
    There are a lot of subspecies of dragons in world legends; wyverns, snakes, wyrms, drakes, african dragons, chinese longs, quetzalquatl, cockatrices, fays, serpents, ... each has their own legends and lore.

To be honest, wich is right and wich is wrong isn't actually stated anywhere. As we are talking about fanatasy creatures that do not exist there is no real right or wrong and its all open for interpretation. If the source material states that these 'wyverns' are dragons then they are dragons, as simple as that. Even in LOTR smaug is called a dragon, yet in the bookspictures he has 4 legs and in the movie he has 2, and is still called a dragon in both of them en not a wyvern.

In elderscrolls lore, dragons are beings with two wings and 2 legs but also beings with 2 wings and 4 legs ( looking at peryite, wich is a daedric prince pictured in oblivion, skyrim en eso as a dragon with 4 legs and 2 wings). Even the avatar of akatosh wich had only 2 wings and 2 legs in oblivion is called a dragon god of time. So calling these wyverns in eso not wyverns but dragons is in fact correct with TES lore, wich is the only source that counts in this matter.

so TL;DR: Eso is correct to call these 'wyverns' dragons as it always has been in TES lore.
    Edited by Pyronico on May 15, 2019 8:17PM
    The light of meridia purifies all corruption, even you. - Artemis Caelum/templar/810cp EU
    Options
  • Glurin
    Glurin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    EölMPK wrote: »
    Game of Thrones and Skyrim are probably the most popular modern day depictions of dragons out there. Both are technically wyverns yet are simply called dragons.

Why? Because everyone knows what a dragon is but it takes a fantasy nerd to know what a wyvern is. Wyvern doesn't roll off the tongue. Tell a random person on a street that you like wyverns and most of them will have no clue what you mean. But everyone knows what a dragon is.

They are not, they just copied Dungeons and Dragons, so D&D is the the most popular modern implementation of dragons.

Yes, but as we all know, D&D just copied all their stuff from ancient mythology, which it turn was all copied from Tolkien, who is the original creator of all things fantasy. Therefore hobbits are the most popular modern implementation of dragons. :sunglasses:
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster...when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you..."
    Options
  • Pheefs
    Pheefs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    the Wyvern distinction is anglo-european in origin... and most of the rest of the world doesn't care one way or t'other!

many mythologies depict sentient dragons and serpents with the ability to "shape-shift" also, so there's little point nitpicking over limbs and wings and names.

TRUTH can be relative, sorry.
    :p
    { Forums are Weird........................ Nerfy nerfing nerf nerfers, buff you b'netches!....................... Popcorn popcorn! }
    Options
  • Ogou
    Ogou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pheefs wrote: »
    the Wyvern distinction is anglo-european in origin... and most of the rest of the world doesn't care one way or t'other!

many mythologies depict sentient dragons and serpents with the ability to "shape-shift" also, so there's little point nitpicking over limbs and wings and names.

TRUTH can be relative, sorry.
    :p

Not just European, the oldest distinction I could find was specifically in the field of heraldry where they needed very specific terms to accurately describe. Any earlier European references I could find used Dragon, Wyvern and Wyrm interchangeably to mean big snake/reptile.
    But maybe someone else has more knowledge on the subject.
    Options
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ogou wrote: »
    Here we go again. I guess the Wood Elves also have to be made vegetarian now. The dwarves have to be made short. Ebony has to be a wooden material. Should I keep going?

>Dwarves have to be made short
    Well...yes

Lul TES just trolled you then; because in ESO Dwarves aren't even Dwarves..... But Elves!!!!!

339kabn.jpg

Btw no such thing as wyvern in TES
    Here we go again. I guess the Wood Elves also have to be made vegetarian now. The dwarves have to be made short. Ebony has to be a wooden material. Should I keep going?

>Dwarves have to be made short
    Well...yes

Don't question it. (If I remember correctly the in universe explanation was that they were given the name Dwarves by the giants).

Dwarves are dwarves, elves are elves, wyverns are just a type of dragon, water is wet. ESO is borderline fan fiction anyways.

Water isn't wet...
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
    Options
  • Thevampirenight
    Thevampirenight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    They are supposed to look like they do. In Elder Scrolls Dragons have two legs. Maybe akatosh can manifest with four. But I'd imagine 4 legged dragons would be false dragons in this setting. Skyrim did it without giving them four legs and it was so very successful. They are based off norse dragons. Alduin was kinda based on the dragon that eats the world tree or something. They even mention the comparison in the wikipedia article about said dragon. So they are dragons, and are based off norse ones. That is okay and they look cool the way they do. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Níðhöggr

Redguard dragon might look like crap do to the graphics but it had two legs as well. So Elder Scrolls True Dragons are two legged. Even before SKyrim. I thought oblvions avatar of akatosh had four legs but it also might have had just two as well. Going by this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_lvLkFEViA

As you can see they have always had two legs. From Redguard, to Oblivion to Skyrim and now Eso.
    Edited by Thevampirenight on May 16, 2019 12:13AM
    PC NA
    Please add Fangs to Vampires.
    Options
  • ryzen_gamer_gal
    ryzen_gamer_gal
    ✭✭✭✭

The fact of the matter is, even though Dragons are pretend, made up creatures,

http://dinosaurpictures.org/Pterodactyl-pictures
    Options
  • ryzen_gamer_gal
    ryzen_gamer_gal
    ✭✭✭✭
    [quote="Partieplayin;c-6055065"

Though I don't think they had the equivalent of "dragons" in South American/Indian culture at all.

Quetzalcoatl is a winged serpent. aka a dragon
    Options
  • ArchangelIsraphel
    ArchangelIsraphel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

The fact of the matter is, even though Dragons are pretend, made up creatures,

http://dinosaurpictures.org/Pterodactyl-pictures

@ryzen_gamer_gal I'm not sure why you're quoting me with a picture of a Pterodactyl without saying anything else to explain why, unless you're suggesting that it's another source of the mythology of the dragon. Which I'm sure in some regions of the world where these bones could have been discovered by ancient man, it may very well be one of the sources.
    Edited by ArchangelIsraphel on May 16, 2019 12:26AM
    Legends never die
    They're written down in eternity
    But you'll never see the price it costs
    The scars collected all their lives
    When everything's lost, they pick up their hearts and avenge defeat
    Before it all starts, they suffer through harm just to touch a dream
    Oh, pick yourself up, 'cause
    Legends never die
    Options
  • Thevampirenight
    Thevampirenight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Also Elder Scroll Dragons might be based off the merging of Lorkhan with the god of Time. The God of Time was metaphorically an Eagle and Lorkhan a Serpent my guess more like the sea serpent as it was after all a void serpent maybe within the waters of oblivion. Both were merged together basically if you go by Mk. By the selectives that caused the middle dawn dragonbreak so Lorkhan and Akatosh are both the same. Or connected because of that event. LIke Jyggalag and Sheogorath. Dragons are what you get when you merge eagles with Serpents. Serpent plus Eagle equals Dragon. Eagles only have two legs and wings. Serpents don't have legs nor wings.

As you can see this is the eagle. Majestic and beautiful . What the Elder scrolls God of Time is supposed to be from an elven standpoint now this is the sea serpent. Posting two images of it. To give you what it might look like. Merge the Sea Serpent and Eagle together and you get a Elder Scrolls Dragon. Eagles have two legs, so Elder Scrolls Dragons have two legs. Eagles have two wings so Dragons have two wings.

download-24.jpg

download-25.jpg

suio9k12bhu01.jpg

So there you have it. This is what sea serpent plus eagle would look like.

373fe0fa2cda2315df988d187879c3b7.jpg

And what Lorkhan, Plus parts of Auriel merged together into one being looks like.
    Edited by Thevampirenight on May 16, 2019 12:53AM
    PC NA
    Please add Fangs to Vampires.
    Options
  • rfennell_ESO
    rfennell_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    EölMPK wrote: »

and D&D copied it from The Hobbit. Tolkien took Smaug from Beowulf.
    [quote="Partieplayin;c-6055065"

Though I don't think they had the equivalent of "dragons" in South American/Indian culture at all.

Quetzalcoatl is a winged serpent. aka a dragon

I was aware of it, it's more snake than dragon. No arms and all or legs. I get the point though.

Options
  • HiLyfe808
    HiLyfe808
    ✭✭✭✭
    who cares? V I D E O G A M E! why does it even matter?
    Options
  • rfennell_ESO
    rfennell_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I liked how WOW distinguished between 4 legged and 2 legged dragons by calling the 2 legged ones "protodragons"
    Options
  • Robo_Hobo
    Robo_Hobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    According to typical mythical fantasy definitions, Dwarves are short people with big beards, but in Elder Scrolls they're just
    another type of Elf of supposedly average elven height. Why do Dragons have to follow a particular mythical definition, and not Dwarves?
    Options