Maintenance for the week of July 1:
· [COMPLETE] NA megaservers for maintenance – July 1, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
· [COMPLETE] EU megaservers for maintenance – July 1, 8:00 UTC (4:00AM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)
· [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – July 1, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The Xbox Live™ service interruption has been resolved. Thank you for your patience.

Are the "Dragon's " in Elsweyr miss identified ?

Partieplayin
Partieplayin
Soul Shriven
It seems to me there are allot of misconceptions and miss identifications of Dragons in today's modern age . Simply put Dragons have 4 legs and wings whereas Wyvren's which is the artists rendition in the expansion have 2 legs and wings attached to the arms making them Wyvren's . Historically or mythologically ESO's classification of the creatures are incorrect.
Why don't we call carnotaurus a tyrannosaurus? Because they are not the same creature and identifying one as the other is incorrect.

I think this should be changed asap younger people who are ignorant of the fact or people may just not know the difference or the truth. I think misleading people into thinking these are dragons and not wyverns is not right. Please just call them as they are "Wyvrens" or design actual Dragons for the game please and thank you.
Edited by Partieplayin on May 14, 2019 8:13PM
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the people of Nirn call them dragons, they are dragons.
    Options
  • SpacemanSpiff1
    SpacemanSpiff1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    That's what Elder Scrolls dragons are. get over it.
    Options
  • Facefister
    Facefister
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It seems to me there are allot of misconceptions and miss identifications of Dragons in today's modern age . Simply put Dragons have 4 legs and wings whereas Wyvren's which is the artists rendition in the expansion have 2 legs and wings attached to the arms making them Wyvren's . Historically or mythologically ESO's classification of the creatures are incorrect.
    Why don't we call carnotaurus a tyrannosaurus? Because they are not the same creature and identifying one as the other is incorrect.

I think this should be changed asap younger people who are ignorant of the fact or people may just not know the difference or the truth. I think misleading people into thinking these are dragons and not wyverns is not right. Please just call them as they are "Wyvrens" or design actual Dragons for the game please and thank you.

Then rename Clannfears into Raptors.
    Options
  • MrBrownstone
    MrBrownstone
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you aware that they are fantasy creatures, unlike dinosaurs?

According to your logic, either Elder Scrolls or Lord of the Rings did Orcs wrong.
    Options
  • Colecovision
    Colecovision
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    At this point I'd like to deliver an important reminder that this is all pretend.
    Options
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    My worldview allows for dragons with a wide variety of wing/leg arrangements.
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
    Options
  • Ogou
    Ogou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here we go again. I guess the Wood Elves also have to be made vegetarian now. The dwarves have to be made short. Ebony has to be a wooden material. Should I keep going?
    Options
  • Veesk
    Veesk
    ✭✭✭✭
    Historically dragons look different around the world, they don't always have four legs and two wings.
    Options
  • Edaphon
    Edaphon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The important difference here is that those two really existed while dragons are completely made up. They don't have any true appearance, people can make them look like whatever they want.
    Options
  • Glurin
    Glurin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    This came up when Skyrim was released. The general consensus was pretty much that they are technically wyverns but that it also doesn't really matter all that much. A fire breathing flying lizard by any other name is still a fire breathing flying lizard. ;)

Even in real world history, wyverns were and still are often referred to as dragons, since the only common distinction between them is that one is bipedal.
    Edited by Glurin on May 14, 2019 8:35PM
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster...when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you..."
    Options
  • therift
    therift
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    For the love of Mara, not this crap again!
    Options
  • Partieplayin
    Partieplayin
    Soul Shriven
    Well I guess dolphins are sharks according to the logical responses I've seen so far and why is that because someone says it's so lol. Ignorance is bliss
    Edited by Partieplayin on May 14, 2019 8:36PM
    Options
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think calling that classification “a fact” is going too far. These dragons match what was in Skyrim. They also happen to match GoT, arguably the most iconic example in modern culture.

One other important detail is that they are intelligent beings, and can speak, which typically implies dragon not wyvern. I don’t even think that wyverns have fire (or frost) breath.
    Options
  • DarknDarker
    DarknDarker
    ✭✭✭
    LOok, its not your world, you don't have a say in what they call them. they could be calling them a freaking chicken, and your opinion wouldn't matter any more than it does now.

besides, wyverns are often considered a subtype of dragon, and there are myths that describe wyverns, but call them dragons. so... your point is moot. and fyi, this argument has been done to death already, just cus necro is coming, doesn't mean it needs to be brought back....
    Options
  • JadeCoin
    JadeCoin
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've heard most dragons these days prefer "Ms." This is the Second Era after all.
    Options
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well I guess dolphins are sharks according to the logical responses I've seen so far and why is that because someone says it's so lol. Ignorance is bliss

Except, sharks and dolphins are real creatures that actually exist on a planet called Earth, where the people of that planet have decided on a name for those creatures.
    Options
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I imagine Dragon truther meetings assembling in some tavern basement in Elsweyr...

"I'm telling you man, they aren't dragons! They're WYVERNS!"
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
    Options
  • Ogou
    Ogou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well I guess dolphins are sharks according to the logical responses I've seen so far

Sure, if you can show me a definitive source stating that dragons can only have four legs and a pair of wings.
    Edited by Ogou on May 14, 2019 8:39PM
    Options
  • Partieplayin
    Partieplayin
    Soul Shriven
    People say that dragons are mythical creatures because no evidence has been found of there existence yet almost every culture around the know world has some form of flying serpent in there lore I find that a bit strange consider golbal communication supposedly wasn't a thing. Just like all the ancient megalithic structures were built with chisels and hammers right
    Edited by Partieplayin on May 14, 2019 8:42PM
    Options
  • NordSwordnBoard
    NordSwordnBoard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

DKs stole my wings, but I'm still a dragon despite your focus on only western mythology!

50d0cc178c345385ef7de8e9f5c32144.jpg

Fear is the Mindkiller
    Options
  • Ogou
    Ogou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    People say that dragons are mythical creatures because no evidence has been found of there existence yet almost every culture around the know world has some form of flying serpent in there lore I find that a bit strange consider golbal communication supposedly wasn't a thing. Just like all the ancient megalithic structures were built with chisels and hammers right

Did all those flying serpents have 4 legs and 2 wings? Why are you calling them dragons then?
    Options
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

:tinfoilhat:

Options
  • Edaphon
    Edaphon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Well, duh. The aliens told everyone about the dragons.
    Options
  • Lady_Sleepless
    Lady_Sleepless
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every time someone brings this up I always think of the chinese dragon. No wings, can fly and has four legs (normally). Still a dragon. It doesn't matter if it doesn't match up to your expectation of a dragon design, there are multiple designs and this is the one that Elder Scrolls has decided upon. Still a dragon.
    Options
  • Chrlynsch
    Chrlynsch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    All wyverns are dragons, but not all dragons are wyverns.
    Caius
    Pack Leader of Scourge Alliance- First Fang of Hircine, The Beast of Bruma
    PC NA
    Options
  • therift
    therift
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

DKs stole my wings, but I'm still a dragon despite your focus on only western mythology!

50d0cc178c345385ef7de8e9f5c32144.jpg

Quite correct.

Dragons do not have wings. OP needs to stop spreading malicious propaganda, which will only confuse the younger generation.
    Options
  • Partieplayin
    Partieplayin
    Soul Shriven
    Bipedal equals Wyvren if your going to use mythical creatures at least get it right.
    Options
  • SpacemanSpiff1
    SpacemanSpiff1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

0337b2ee707728519a456abde0981c6a9aa0d8c6b78ff60efaa41defdd898fb0.jpg
    Options
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Consider that all cultures have a shared history of finding giant bones in the ground. It's like pointing to the fact that all cultures independently developed entry ways into their homes as a global conspiracy. Rather than just an instinctual reaction to a common problem or experience.

Also, consider that Dragon is a overarching western label that has been imposed on the similar, but not same, myths from around the world. The Chinese "dragon" is nowhere near the same as the European dragon. It resembles more of a serpent.
    Options
  • NordSwordnBoard
    NordSwordnBoard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

30ysyp.jpg
    Fear is the Mindkiller
    Options