Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Should sorcs hiding behind their pets be considered a targeting exploit?

• StormeReigns
    StormeReigns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    SkerKro wrote: »
    Jayman1000 wrote: »
    not an "i got killed post" just curious if this could be considering cheating, not cheating borderline cheating...?

No way, zos deliberately designed it this way, it's not an exploit. see, when your opponent is position them behind their pet does it not reasonable to you that you might hit their pet instead? Seems completely logical and intended to me.

Then sorc should hit his pet too if he attack you atm, from logic side.

And wings should keep DKs from attacking. Only seeing it from logic side, giant flapping wings that encase the body? Yeah, you aint swinging that sword.

It is suggested that wings re-appear exactly to reflect projectile. Anyway you may qualify wings as damage shield, and such shields are always transparent from user's side. Pet is summoned piece of meat, so it can't be that way.
    Combat pets are breaking game in all types of content. They are often forbidden in trials for how random is their behavior, they made VMA trivial, they are a nuisance in PVP and especially battlegrounds. Given how cheap they are acquired and how they limit bar space, hampering their user.. it was wrong move from ZOS to buff them so much during shield nerf. This all applies to WW pets too. It's a lot of power and impact with low effort, while reducing number of skills pet-owner have as pay-off.

Still not an exploit. Especially, when so many other "cheap" skills are seen as exploits as well.
  • Strider__Roshin
    Strider__Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dubhliam wrote: »
    L2tabtarget

Tab targeting is useless against pets. You can highlight the sorc all you want you're still going to hit their meat shields instead.
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No but it’s cheesy, especially when the player trying to kill them only has single target abilities and even more cheesy when it’s more than one. One thing that should change is the targeting system.
    Edited by CatchMeTrolling on April 14, 2019 10:33PM
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    My pet flies in front of me all the time, keeping me from looting or stealing. Why should I get penalized for what the game does?
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • prototypefb
    prototypefb
    ✭✭✭✭
    Didgerion wrote: »
    Matchimus wrote: »
    I vote for anything that nerfs sorcerers & their pets until they stop camping at wayshrines etc.

I'd not do that. If they nerf pets then we might need to run 2 of them to compensate...you will worsen the situation.

hopefully when spellcrafting kicks in sorc will be able to get up to 9 summons xD 6 on skillbars and 3 from sets xD
  • Trinity_Is_My_Name
    Trinity_Is_My_Name
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LOL
  • karekiz
    karekiz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Exploit? No. Issue in BG's? Maybe. Then again maybe ESO isn't built well for BG's in the first place.
    Edited by karekiz on April 14, 2019 11:26PM
  • Somewhere
    Somewhere
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's irritating, but honestly if I were a developer I'd call it a feature more than anything. All proc summoned pets and even werewolves do the same. Sorcerer pets, in particular the twilight is too big. Atronach too, but I definitely think that should be intentional since using the atro to create LOS is something unique to the skill.

That said this would be more of a non issue if the pet was smaller or didn't fly. Literally anything but a winged twilight (I get why they did it but a flame atronach would've been a way better option).
  • Mrsinister2
    Mrsinister2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Banana wrote: »
    Sounds like good footwork

This is probably true some sorcs have there zoo and it don't seem to help at all while other sorcs are almost untouchable.

I got killed earlier by a sorc with 4 pets and all he used for an attack was curse :lol:
  • WhyMustItBe
    WhyMustItBe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    okay so my second question if anyone would be so kind to offer some tips: from the perspective of the player fighting the sorc, what are good ways to workaround it?

Dodge roll through the pets and tab-target the sorc to lock targeting on them, so all your abilities go there until you lock another target.
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    was only a question; i'm not voicing some anti pet tirade here.

so what are resolutions to this targetting issue that i, and others around me, are having?

Having the target lock actually be a lock would be a good start.

• generalmyrick
    generalmyrick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Strategic positioning. No different than hiding behind a tree or rock.

yeap!
    Gilvoth wrote: »
    DocFrost72 wrote: »
    Gilvoth wrote: »
    the only problem i see with it, is that they can kill you, while you heavily struggle to hit them or do damage to them.
    it is still possible to damage them, but it is very restricted.

good players are exploiters

that term "Good Players"
    was created by people teaching exploits and training others that those exploits are not exploits, but instead call the exploits "skills" or "being skilled" when infact those actions are exploits and require no skill at all.

the only "skill" that is taking place during those exploits is the skill in committing a constant flow of various forms of the exploits and making an art form of the exploits much the same way we witness Lawyers protect the guilty.

id give you 10 agrees and awesome and insights if i could.
    "The red pill and its opposite, the blue pill, are a popular cultural meme, a metaphor representing the choice between:

Knowledge, freedom, uncertainty and the brutal truths of reality (red pill)
    Security, happiness, beauty, and the blissful ignorance of illusion (blue pill)"

Insight to Agree to Awesome Ratio = 1:6.04:2.76 as of 1/25/2019

Compared to people that I've ignored = I am 18% more insightful, 20% less agreeable, and 88% more awesome.
  • david_m_18b16_ESO
    david_m_18b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    its actualy makes sense I'd say. The targeting mechanics of other MMO just do not make sense. How is your arrow pass trought others PC and NPC to get to the wanted target just makes no sense.
    Edited by david_m_18b16_ESO on April 15, 2019 12:31AM
  • VvardeFellow
    VvardeFellow
    ✭✭✭
    No. But having those horrible, bigger than an ex-wife stinking pets blocking everything, everywhere we go should be.
  • generalmyrick
    generalmyrick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    its actualy makes sense I'd say. The atrgeting mechanics of other MMO just do not make sense. How is your arrow pass trought others PC and NPC to get to the wanted target just makes no sense.

i agree. i like my games to make sense.

"The red pill and its opposite, the blue pill, are a popular cultural meme, a metaphor representing the choice between:

Knowledge, freedom, uncertainty and the brutal truths of reality (red pill)
    Security, happiness, beauty, and the blissful ignorance of illusion (blue pill)"

Insight to Agree to Awesome Ratio = 1:6.04:2.76 as of 1/25/2019

Compared to people that I've ignored = I am 18% more insightful, 20% less agreeable, and 88% more awesome.
  • Itzmichi
    Itzmichi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Movement > no movement.

Why would it be cheating if people use the environment to their advantages. It's not like soldiers in actual wars are waiting to get shoot on open field either, right?
    Here, have a chill pill 💊!
  • FleetwoodSmack
    FleetwoodSmack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly, if they have a Winged Twilight out y'all should be killing it anyways.
    Tell me lies, tell me sweet little lies!
  • HatchetHaro
    HatchetHaro
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Tab-targeting is a thing; use it. Once you get a grasp on it, someone hiding behind pets will become much less of an issue for you.
    Best Argonian NA and I will fight anyone for it

17 Argonians

6x IR, 6x GH, 7x TTT, 4x GS, 4x DB, 1x PB, 3x SBS, 1x Unchained
  • ecru
    ecru
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's really bad design on the part of zos and bad manners on the part of the player using the broken soft targeting system to their advantage. There should be an option to make pets untargetable to prevent this kind of gameplay.
    its actualy makes sense I'd say. The targeting mechanics of other MMO just do not make sense. How is your arrow pass trought others PC and NPC to get to the wanted target just makes no sense.

Casting flappy wings and reflecting projectiles makes about as much sense as shooting fireballs out of a staff. It's a game, it isn't supposed to make sense, and because it's a game it's supposed to be fun and rewarding for all players involved, not just one small subset of players who uses bad design to their advantage.
    Tab-targeting is a thing; use it. Once you get a grasp on it, someone hiding behind pets will become much less of an issue for you.

Tab targeting does not work like you think it does, and I suspect people who make posts like these really don't ever queue for BGs and haven't experienced what the OP is talking about. Having a target highlighted does not guarantee that you will attack that target even if they are directly in your reticle. Targets are still prioritized based on distance, meaning that pet slightly off to the side of the person you have tab targeted in your reticle is what you attack instead of your highlighted target.
    Edited by ecru on April 15, 2019 1:02AM
    Gryphon Heart
    Godslayer
    Dawnbringer
  • Morgul667
    Morgul667
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lol.... seriously?

• david_m_18b16_ESO
    david_m_18b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ecru wrote: »

Casting flappy wings and reflecting projectiles makes about as much sense as shooting fireballs out of a staff. It's a game, it isn't supposed to make sense, and because it's a game it's supposed to be fun and rewarding for all players involved, not just one small subset of players who uses bad design to their advantage.

Well actualy in a RPG game it does makes sense and well you're the one thinking its a bad design while I think its a great one.

Also since when pet sorc are a hard thing to kill in PvP ?
  • Caligamy_ESO
    Caligamy_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Kill the pet? Walk through it and kill the Sorcerer? Get in their face and put some real pressure on them maybe?

Sorcerer does ranged dps really well and if you're just gonna stand back on open fields and act clueless how to deal with a terrible AI non-collision pet then you've got bigger problems than targeting.
    love is love
  • Golden_Cat
    Golden_Cat
    ✭✭✭
    Nightblade players always exploit their cloak in combat. It's not fair at all,someone pls make a thread about this.
    I know it's a game's feature but I hate it so lets call it exploitation.
  • SteveCampsOut
    SteveCampsOut
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In a game where NPC's can shoot thru walls?!? There is no LOS issues! :open_mouth:
    @ֆȶɛʋɛƈǟʍքֆօʊȶ⍟
    Sanguine & Psijic Group Beta Tester.

NA Server:
    Steforax Soulstrong CH782 Sorcerer AD
    Grumpy Kahjiti CH782 Dragonknight AD
    Rheticia Le Drakisius CH782 Nightblade DC
    Razmuzan Thrasmas CH782 Templar EP
    Sheenara Soulstrong CH782 Dragonknight DC
    Erik Ramzey CH782 Nightblade AD
    Growling Kahjiti CH782 Nightblade EP
    One of Many Faces CH782 Sorcerer DC
    Grumpasaurus Rex CH782 Warden DC
    EU Server:
    Guildmaster of Pacrooti's Hirelings AD Based LGBT Friendly Guild.
    Stefrex Souliss CH701 Sorcerer AD
    Grumpy Kahjiti CH701 Dragonknight DC
    Slithisi Ksissi CH701 Nightblade EP
    Pokes-With-Fire CH701 Dragonknight AD
    Josie-The-Pussi-Cat CH701 Templar AD
    Stug-Grog M'God CH701 Templar DC
    One With Many Faces CH701 Nightblade DC
    Trixie Truskan CH701 Sorcerer EP
    Grumpetasaurus Rex CH701 Warden EP
  • Wuuffyy
    Wuuffyy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pets do need a nerf tho. In all realism. It is not balanced AT ALL. None of them.
    Wuuffyy,
    WW/berserker playstyle advocate (I play ALL classes proficiently in PvP outside of WW as well)
    ESO player since 2014 (Xbox and PC for PTS)
    -DM for questions
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly, if they have a Winged Twilight out y'all should be killing it anyways.

the very first mmo i played, i had to learn the hard way about pets.

"always kill the caster, not the cast"
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kill the pet? Walk through it and kill the Sorcerer? Get in their face and put some real pressure on them maybe?

Sorcerer does ranged dps really well and if you're just gonna stand back on open fields and act clueless how to deal with a terrible AI non-collision pet then you've got bigger problems than targeting.

You and the guy above you clearly don’t play pvp. This is one of those moments where it’s best just not to say anything.
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To the OP: absolutely, especially if it’s a premade petsorc group in BGs we’re talking about. When the monster sets proc and the storm atros are launched, a four man team becomes a zerg consisting of twenty targetable entities.

When you KNOWINGLY abuse some aspect of the game to gain an unintended advantage, that is 100% classifiable as an exploit.
  • StormeReigns
    StormeReigns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Aurielle wrote: »
    To the OP: absolutely, especially if it’s a premade petsorc group in BGs we’re talking about. When the monster sets proc and the storm atros are launched, a four man team becomes a zerg consisting of twenty targetable entities.

When you KNOWINGLY abuse some aspect of the game to gain an unintended advantage, that is 100% classifiable as an exploit.

My Petless Sorc and her Inevitable Detonation spam with 4615 spell damage and 73% spell crit absolutely loves zoo meta. Nothing like seeing a 14k plus the 25% amp-up to make it 19k Explosion Spam followed by 19.8k-22k area damage with a lone Haunting Curse critting at 24k finalizing the group wipe - hell, bring on more pets, need more fodder for the explosions.

What you see as an exploit, I see as a gleeful opportunity.
    Edited by StormeReigns on April 15, 2019 2:23AM
  • ruikkarikun
    ruikkarikun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    not an "i got killed post" just curious if this could be considering cheating, not cheating borderline cheating...?

Should stamina guys running around tower/walls/steps/rocks by circle like clowns?
    Should nb hiding in cloak?
    Want to continue?
    Edited by ruikkarikun on April 15, 2019 2:24AM