Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Should sorcs hiding behind their pets be considered a targeting exploit?

nryerson1025
nryerson1025
✭✭✭✭
not an "i got killed post" just curious if this could be considering cheating, not cheating borderline cheating...?
  • Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like good footwork
  • Bouldercleave
    Bouldercleave
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Strategic positioning. No different than hiding behind a tree or rock.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Should LOS behind a rock or tree or another player be considered a targeting exploit?

No, its not.

Its cheese, not cheating.

I find it hilarious that PVP pet sorcs went from being useless to the target of complaints once someone figured out how to make pets actually useful.
  • nryerson1025
    nryerson1025
    ✭✭✭✭
    was only a question; i'm not voicing some anti pet tirade here.

so what are resolutions to this targetting issue that i, and others around me, are having?
  • nryerson1025
    nryerson1025
    ✭✭✭✭

to be fair, that's incorrect. you can't target a tree or rock
  • Bouldercleave
    Bouldercleave
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

To be fair, you get my point.
  • oxygen_thief
    oxygen_thief
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    you can consider it like whatever you want. it doesnt matter
  • Crixus8000
    Crixus8000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just don't bother fighting anyone who uses a pet. It's bad enough trying to land dizzy on a skilled player, it's basically impossible if they have a pet, and if they are a petsorc then I know I now have a 0% chance to hit them.
  • nryerson1025
    nryerson1025
    ✭✭✭✭

i don't actually. the targetting issue is about incorrectly targetting the pets. so at its very foundation, your analogy is not right. you are not incorrectly targetting a rock when someone los'es behind one
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    How are they using a mechanic in a way that was not intended? That's the real question before I answer.
  • Amanuensis
    Amanuensis
    ✭✭✭✭
    So, another nerf-sorcerers thread? Because not opening one's self to attacks from others is too op?
  • nryerson1025
    nryerson1025
    ✭✭✭✭
    okay so my second question if anyone would be so kind to offer some tips: from the perspective of the player fighting the sorc, what are good ways to workaround it?
  • Bouldercleave
    Bouldercleave
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

i don't actually. the targetting issue is about incorrectly targetting the pets. so at its very foundation, your analogy is not right. you are not incorrectly targetting a rock when someone los'es behind one

Jesus Christ. Nerds will be nerds I guess... I'll choose my analogy better just for you next time.

No, I don't feel it is an exploit or cheat.
  • nryerson1025
    nryerson1025
    ✭✭✭✭

Jesus Christ. Nerds will be nerds I guess... I'll choose my analogy better just for you next time.

No, I don't feel it is an exploit or cheat.

i understand and that now makes sense to me, thank you. maybe you can choose a better analogy to rock or tree los though...or perhaps offer any sort of counter
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes, it is an exploit, but it is also the fault of the games design, there are other exploits much worse.
    the only problem i see with it, is that they can kill you, while you heavily struggle to hit them or do damage to them.
    it is still possible to damage them, but it is very restricted.
  • Fur_like_snow
    Fur_like_snow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess something similar would be using LOS between oneself and friendly guards in cyrodiil. It is worth pointing out that guards can body block a player and pets cannot. I don’t personally see either situation as a cheat or exploit.
    Edited by Fur_like_snow on April 14, 2019 7:37PM
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Gilvoth wrote: »
    yes, it is an exploit, but it is also the fault of the games design, there are other exploits much worse.

How are players exploiting? What game mechanic are they using in a way it wasn't designed?
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    not an "i got killed post" just curious if this could be considering cheating, not cheating borderline cheating...?

LOL, not at all. Sorry, but this was funny.
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DocFrost72 wrote: »

How are players exploiting? What game mechanic are they using in a way it wasn't designed?

the parts of my comment that you deleted, fully answer your questions.
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    the only problem i see with it, is that they can kill you, while you heavily struggle to hit them or do damage to them.

I wanted to give you the benefit of the doubt but from this definition good players are exploiters, full stop.

What ability, mechanic, or set is being used in a way that runs counter to their design? Pets were designed with collision and health bars, they are designed to get in the way if they are between another target and you. This is intended. It is not an exploit.
  • therift
    therift
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    okay so my second question if anyone would be so kind to offer some tips: from the perspective of the player fighting the sorc, what are good ways to workaround it?

Good question.

1) Dodge roll left or right, kill Sorc

2) Dodge roll through pet, kill Sorc.

3) Kill pet, kill Sorc.

4) Javelin pet, kill Sorc (Templars only)

5) Wait one second for pet to move, kill Sorc.

Pets are not much of a protection from me.
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    players in the past have received bans for exploiting boss fights, where they stood somewhere on the battle area that made it almost impossible for the boss to do damage to them.
    the devs made it public that this was an exploit and they did temporarily ban those people that did this.
    we see the same action taking place here with the pets, but it is not as strong as the exploit with the boss pve fights because here with this pet exploit in pvp you can still hit the sorcerer just like i mentioned earlier:

"they can kill you, while you heavily struggle to hit them or do damage to them.
    it is still possible to damage them, but it is very restricted."
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think it's an exploit, but I would like to see pets adjusted so that they can't hide behind them so easily anymore. Anything that reduces the MASSIVE size of the matriarch would be a huge improvement.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It goes both ways though, my Pet Sorc can't target anything blocked by his pet(s) ...
    shades.gif
    Edited by SirAndy on April 14, 2019 7:47PM
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    players in the past have received bans for exploiting boss fights, where they stood somewhere on the battle area that made it almost impossible for the boss to do damage to them.
    the devs made it public that this was an exploit and they did temporarily ban those people that did this.
    we see the same action taking place here with the pets, but it is not as strong as the exploit with the boss pve fights because here with this pet exploit in pvp you can still hit the sorcerer just like i mentioned earlier:

"they can kill you, while you heavily struggle to hit them or do damage to them.
    it is still possible to damage them, but it is very restricted."

Your argument is...

I've faced tougher *straw mans*, let's use that as the polite way to phrase it.

The crucial difference between your example and sorc pets is that the players exploiting knew the boss fight was not meant to be completed from a balcony with a singular ability, without fully aggroing the boss.

Pets are designed with health bars and collision. They are designed to get in the way.

Do you see the difference between those two examples, and can you see why the standard of "hard to hit or damage while they can kill you" is absolutely ueless as a metric due to it applying to perfectly legitimate situations?
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

good players are exploiters

that term "Good Players"
    was created by people teaching exploits and training others that those exploits are not exploits, but instead call the exploits "skills" or "being skilled" when infact those actions are exploits and require no skill at all.

the only "skill" that is taking place during those exploits is the skill in committing a constant flow of various forms of the exploits and making an art form of the exploits much the same way we witness Lawyers protect the guilty.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you see the difference between those two examples, and can you see why the standard of "hard to hit or damage while they can kill you" is absolutely ueless as a metric due to it applying to perfectly legitimate situations?

To quote my girlfriend:

Your logic has no place in this argument!
    laugh.gif

Edited by SirAndy on April 14, 2019 7:51PM
  • Juhasow
    Juhasow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it is You who dont get the point. There is a difference when enemie is using rocks and trees to hide behind those because both You and him are unable to shoot anything at each other and both You and him have the same LoS in that situation. Hiding behind the pets it's completly different story since that petsorc is able to shoot You normally and You cannot hit him with same effectiveness and pets also waste Your resources because You use abilities they just dont hit right target. It's like having damage sponge placed in front of You.

So yeah it's different then hiding behind the trees or rocks unless You have acces to some mobile trees or rocks that can also take damage for You and dont block Your line of sight..
    Edited by Juhasow on April 15, 2019 4:55AM
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

good players are exploiters

that term "Good Players"
    was created by people teaching exploits and training others that those exploits are not exploits, but instead call the exploits "skills" or "being skilled" when infact those actions are exploits and require no skill at all.

the only "skill" that is taking place during those exploits is the skill in committing a constant flow of various forms of the exploits and making an art form of the exploits much the same way we witness Lawyers protect the guilty.

You have no interest in a reasoned debate or answering my questions. I have no interest in your argument now. Have a pleasant day :)
    Edited by DocFrost72 on April 14, 2019 7:53PM
  • Juhasow
    Juhasow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not an exploit just bad game design.