The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

The problem with faction lock for the veteran PvP players

• Mr_Walker
    Mr_Walker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ranger209 wrote: »
    Mr_Walker wrote: »
    ks888 wrote: »
    It is possible to play for the side you're on at the time.

It's pretty clear a lot of players don't have the mental flexibility to be able to understand this.

No we have the mental flexibility to understand that there are no sides when everyone plays for all of them.

LOL, no. That's not what it means, it means my reds can play for red, my blues can play for blue, without cheating/trolling/sabotaging. My characters have sides (and fight furiously for them).

Maybe it would help if I said it's kind of like how I can play a female character despite not being in possession of any female body parts myself.

No, people who swap factions don't fight for any sides they fight for themselves, its all about them and they don't care who wins because they always win on one character or another, regardless of their anatomical make up. When you fight furiously for a faction, and 5 minutes later fight furiously against them, your not really fighting for them at all, its just for you and your close knit group of other furiously fighting faction swappers.

You’re still fighting for the alliance that you’re currently playing regardless of the wordplay you’re trying to use. If I help dethrone someone while on dc that’s me helping dc. Playing for yourself is when you don’t play any objective at all and choose action over anything.

Everything isn’t so black and white. People can have multiple reasons to play for other factions. Just because they don’t coincide with your faction loyalist mindset doesn’t mean it’s not possible.

Like I said, most of the faction lockers aren't mentally agile enough to understand this.
    LOL, no. That's not what it means, it means my reds can play for red, my blues can play for blue, without cheating/trolling/sabotaging. My characters have sides (and fight furiously for them)
    They CAN, but they DON'T. This is the problem: when your reds play for red, and your blues play for red, and your yellows play for red. This is why faction lock needs to exist. Some people are ruining it for the rest of you.

You know mate, I do have some sympathy for your position, I really do. I hate it when people start trolling whichever faction I'm playing for. I HATE it, and I honestly think it's a disgrace, but all faction locks will do is shut folk like me off from playing with friends from different factions. It won't stop trolls. Trolls get their payment from trolling. They're not caring about AP. They'll swap just to *** people around. They're a thirteen year old sitting in front of screen giggling because they've jerked people around. How much AP do you think it cost Trollio McTroll in the above pics with all the forward camps?

With locks, you'll win nothing and lose people who are just happy to get some playtime with pals in. And if folk are REALLY dedicated, they'll simply move to a "non-main" toon (or even better a second account, which are cheap as chips) and sabotage the acts of siege/counter-siege as much as they can (and there's a number of creative and uncounterable ways to do so). Get a 4-5 man group who'll do this and you can really create major issues.

And don't say Shor. Outside primetime on Xbox it's zero bars. Not an option unless all of a sudden we're endorsing PvDoor.
  • Feanor
    Feanor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beardimus wrote: »
    [

It's pretty clear a lot of players don't have the mental flexibility to be able to understand this.

No we have the mental flexibility to understand that there are no sides when everyone plays for all of them.

LOL, no. That's not what it means, it means my reds can play for red, my blues can play for blue, without cheating/trolling/sabotaging. My characters have sides (and fight furiously for them).

Maybe it would help if I said it's kind of like how I can play a female character despite not being in possession of any female body parts myself.

No, people who swap factions don't fight for any sides they fight for themselves, its all about them and they don't care who wins because they always win on one character or another, regardless of their anatomical make up. When you fight furiously for a faction, and 5 minutes later fight furiously against them, your not really fighting for them at all, its just for you and your close knit group of other furiously fighting faction swappers.

Everything isn’t so black and white. People can have multiple reasons to play for other factions. Just because they don’t coincide with your faction loyalist mindset doesn’t mean it’s not possible.

Spot on, AND just because you don't cheat when you faction hop doesn't mean cheating is not possible..

Both sides of this debate are right, and wrong. It's not black and white as you say - hence ZOS nailing it by giving choice.

But they don’t. There is no 2nd noCP campaign without lock.
    Main characters: Feanor the Believer - AD Altmer mSorc - AR 46 - Flawless Conqueror (PC EU)Idril Arnanor - AD Altmer mSorc - CP 217 - Stormproof (PC NA)Other characters:
    Necrophilius Killgood - DC Imperial NecromancerFearscales - AD Argonian Templar - Stormproof (healer)Draco Imperialis - AD Imperial DK (tank)Cabed Naearamarth - AD Dunmer mDKValirion Willowthorne - AD Bosmer stamBladeTuruna - AD Altmer magBladeKheled Zaram - AD Redguard stamDKKibil Nala - AD Redguard stamSorc - StormproofYavanna Kémentárí - AD Breton magWardenAzog gro-Ghâsh - EP Orc stamWardenVidar Drakenblød - DC Nord mDKMarquis de Peyrac - DC Breton mSorc - StormproofRawlith Khaj'ra - AD Khajiit stamWardenTu'waccah - AD Redguard Stamplar
    All chars 50 @ CP 1700+. Playing and enjoying PvP with RdK mostly on PC EU.
  • Mr_Walker
    Mr_Walker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Feanor wrote: »
    Beardimus wrote: »
    [

Spot on, AND just because you don't cheat when you faction hop doesn't mean cheating is not possible..

Both sides of this debate are right, and wrong. It's not black and white as you say - hence ZOS nailing it by giving choice.

But they don’t. There is no 2nd noCP campaign without lock.

Outside of primetime on Xbox there's for all intents and purpo9ses NO PvP any more except for Vivec.
  • Haashhtaag
    Haashhtaag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Augustus67 wrote: »
    Maybe instead of faction lock,make it so you can only ever be Emperor once,per account ,regardless of faction.

Nah, terrible idea. That hurts the faction especially when it’s guys that make really good emps for the faction
  • AhPook_Is_Here
    AhPook_Is_Here
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone catch that Tottenham/Ajax game? I was thinking that game could have been a lot more competitive and interesting if maybe Moura, Heung-min and kane could have played for Ajax once the score was tied up. Football just doesn't really feel competitive without team switching. I suppose ZoS will figure it out again soon enough.
    “Whatever.”
    -Unknown American
  • LeifErickson
    LeifErickson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone catch that Tottenham/Ajax game? I was thinking that game could have been a lot more competitive and interesting if maybe Moura, Heung-min and kane could have played for Ajax once the score was tied up. Football just doesn't really feel competitive without team switching. I suppose ZoS will figure it out again soon enough.

Yeah definitely. I also can't believe the Ajax bench didn't run onto the field and faction stack the field to win by having more numbers than Tottenham. Oh wait that's not how it works. What will it take for you people to learn the best faction doesn't win, the highest pop one does? Hence, alliance war doesn't matter.
  • zyk
    zyk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah definitely. I also can't believe the Ajax bench didn't run onto the field and faction stack the field to win by having more numbers than Tottenham. Oh wait that's not how it works. What will it take for you people to learn the best faction doesn't win, the highest pop one does? Hence, alliance war doesn't matter.
    Winning and losing campaigns isn't where the value lies. The map and campaign score merely provide goals and context.

Winning never matters on public servers in any game. Winning never really matters in pick up basketball or street hockey. But it's fun to act as if it does and try your hardest to help your team anyway.
  • Miriel
    Miriel
    ✭✭✭✭
    NirnStorm wrote: »
    I couldn't have worded it better myself.

Let's all take a moment to remember faction lock has existed in ESO before, and it was taken down after the playerbase protested. Must we really do that again?

My organized PvP guild consists of EP, DC and AD mains. If faction lock gets to live, this might be the end of the guild, or any fun playing with it, since we will have to play on dead campaigns.

Then perhaps people shouldent have missused the freedom they got, you guys did and now we get faction locks...
  • AhPook_Is_Here
    AhPook_Is_Here
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You ever watch Seinfeld? In the best comedy, lessons are never learned. Now if only I could close my wallet.
    “Whatever.”
    -Unknown American
  • Ahtu
    Ahtu
    ✭✭✭✭

The highest population faction wins but without faction lock what does that mean? Currently, many players gravitate towards the faction with the most guilds on at the time, or the most points for the current score evaluation. Faction locks will prevent players from bandwaggoning to the current winning side and they will be forced to stand their grounds win or lose, as it should have been from the beginning.
    Edited by Ahtu on May 10, 2019 4:31PM
  • Elong
    Elong
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Did anyone catch the moment when they realised ESO was just a game played for social enjoyment and not a multi billion dollar industry affecting their livelihoods? Just me?
    Edited by Elong on May 10, 2019 1:49AM
  • ks888
    ks888
    ✭✭✭✭
    Except folks don't seem to understand you can play for the side you're on at the time. I literally got rage whispers about "spying" for defending a DC scroll with my friends while we were on DC that day. WUT?

Yes I have an EP toon I play alot, I have AD toons too. If I was on my DC dropping useless FC's or something or communicating with friends on the opposing side THAT would be spying or griefing. I'm on DC right now, I defend DC scroll because the pvdoor zerg is gating a 2 bar pop faction because that's "winning".

There are legitimately some people out there who don't even understand what "spying" even entails. C'mon... really... these are the people who have been asking for faction lock. RIP pvp

DC NA - Norri - Khole RIP - [Mostly Outnumbered]** I have too many toons **RIP every alt I deleted - where am I? what year is it?
  • ks888
    ks888
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Ahtu "Winning", truly winning, means your opponent had a fighting chance. Because hockey is the only sport worth following imo, when hoisting the Cup above your head - is it more gratifying when you breeze through the playoffs or is it more special when you know you worked your tail off for it? I'm gonna go with the latter.

PvP on Vivec well it's like going to Globetrotters game (basketball is lame, but it's the example I'm going with). You know the biggest zerg is gonna win every time because they outnumber their opponents throughout most of the day. At which point, chatting with your friends is the fun half-time show because you know the outcome of the game. If it's the same outcome over and over, are you gonna want season tickets? Probably not, but it's cool for a weekend.
    DC NA - Norri - Khole RIP - [Mostly Outnumbered]** I have too many toons **RIP every alt I deleted - where am I? what year is it?
  • Miriel
    Miriel
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Ahtu "Winning", truly winning, means your opponent had a fighting chance. Because hockey is the only sport worth following imo, when hoisting the Cup above your head - is it more gratifying when you breeze through the playoffs or is it more special when you know you worked your tail off for it? I'm gonna go with the latter.

PvP on Vivec well it's like going to Globetrotters game (basketball is lame, but it's the example I'm going with). You know the biggest zerg is gonna win every time because they outnumber their opponents throughout most of the day. At which point, chatting with your friends is the fun half-time show because you know the outcome of the game. If it's the same outcome over and over, are you gonna want season tickets? Probably not, but it's cool for a weekend.

In the early days of ESO, the first months AD was so dominant they owned mostly all servers, this was a time when we had faction locks, do you know what happened ?... the player base corected the problem by them self, MOst of the succesfull guilds in dc and ep, are old AD guilds that migrated to create some balance...

There was even drama over one guild that left AD, went to EP, and some wanted to go back to AD, and the guild split in half...

But my point is still, you can be friends with people on your side, and people yo fight, some of my best friends in ESO, and people i chat with the most are people that are my enemies, that i for some reason "yelled" at and in some mysterious way we got friends... but factions need to be kept to each side, as it is now, people bandwagon, couse no one want to be on the loosing side, its to easy to do... The balance will corect itself to a certain degree, wich i can point to, is what exactly happened... but creating new accounts and switching accounts, is alot more of a issue, then just swtich character, espechially on weekends when ques can be rather long...

This promotes people to stick to their own side...
  • Dominion_Nightblade
    I'm resubbing after a year and a half just because of faction locks. Not because I think faction locks will solve any problems, but because that is how, I as a faction loyalists, want to play the game. With faction locks.
  • Elong
    Elong
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Miriel wrote: »

In the early days of ESO, the first months AD was so dominant they owned mostly all servers, this was a time when we had faction locks, do you know what happened ?... the player base corected the problem by them self, MOst of the succesfull guilds in dc and ep, are old AD guilds that migrated to create some balance...

There was even drama over one guild that left AD, went to EP, and some wanted to go back to AD, and the guild split in half...

But my point is still, you can be friends with people on your side, and people yo fight, some of my best friends in ESO, and people i chat with the most are people that are my enemies, that i for some reason "yelled" at and in some mysterious way we got friends... but factions need to be kept to each side, as it is now, people bandwagon, couse no one want to be on the loosing side, its to easy to do... The balance will corect itself to a certain degree, wich i can point to, is what exactly happened... but creating new accounts and switching accounts, is alot more of a issue, then just swtich character, espechially on weekends when ques can be rather long...

it's a game. like,seriously, a video game. get over yourself.

No Bee, you must play how everyone tells you to! /s
  • ks888
    ks888
    ✭✭✭✭

@Miriel Faction locks prevent those of us who want to swap to create balance from doing so... Balance on the map changes throughout the day. If my guildies an I see that EP owns most of the map, why on earth would I want to log into my EP toon? I don't. I'll want to get on my DC or AD instead of mindlessly zerging across an uncontested map.

• Alomar
    Alomar
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So, not getting into an arguement about something that won't be changed because ZOS doesn't care about the pvp population's opinions. Yet, that is not a good comparison as that time period and the faction's "pvp population imbalance" from a game's launch cannot be carried and over into a situation 5 years post-launch. Players at launch have no idea of the size of a population a faction will have, the amount of guilds that faction will have, or the overall popularity that faction will have with the average casual un-guildied player.

It's like going in blind, because even if you looked at some forums or fansites only a minority actually uses those/these or even cares for them. I know because I myself was a part of that "ad guild that went ep" you mentioned. I told my guild mates pre-launch AD was going to be overpopulated and had too many guilds, but I just expected that and didn't have any evidence to back it up. No one listened and AD dominated the first 6 months or so harshly. This is a different scenario, at a different time, with different variables, and a 30 day faction switch window with the ability of players to address imbalance.

Alright let the hating continue
    Edited by Alomar on May 11, 2019 1:22PM
    Haxus Council Member
    Former Havoc Commander
    Former DiE officer
    Alomar: 5 Stars - Beast: 3 stars - Kurudin: 5th NA emperor
    Awaiting New World, Camelot Unchained, and Crowfall
  • Durham
    Durham
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with what you have said ... However its not just in same spot its balled up with in 12 meter area spamming AOE that really lags the server. On Shore there can be 3 bars across at Primetime and a faction can stack and the lag will be significantly less there. If a ball group shows up from Vevic, guess what happens on Shore? During that faction stack we all start to lag horribly. We have seen this so many times I have lost count during the past year on shore.
    Edited by Durham on May 11, 2019 4:40PM
    PVP DEADWAIT
    PVP The Unguildables
  • Miriel
    Miriel
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Alomar @ks888

If that was the case, its good that some do as you say, you want to balance the campaign, the problem is, you seem to be a very very tiny portion that want to fix it... the majority dosent do what you say you want to do... People bandwagon to the winning side, couse its to simple to do, that dosent fix the problem, it makes it worse...

sorry but the change is needed couse people cant play nice, if people dident bandwagon to the winning side, then faction locks wouldent be needed... you ofcourse isnt the issue, but as said, your not fixing the issue as is...

Edited by Miriel on May 11, 2019 7:56PM
  • Elong
    Elong
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Alomar @ks888

If that was the case, its good that some do as you say, you want to balance the campaign, the problem is, you seem to be a very very tiny portion that want to fix it... the majority dosent do what you say you want to do... People bandwagon to the winning side, couse its to simple to do, that dosent fix the problem, it makes it worse...

sorry but the change is needed couse people cant play nice, if people dident bandwagon to the winning side, then faction locks wouldent be needed... you ofcourse isnt the issue, but as said, your not fixing the issue as is...

Where is your proof that people who play multiple factions don't play nice, and how does this stop being who don't faction swap from not playing nice?
  • Miriel
    Miriel
    ✭✭✭✭
    Elong wrote: »
    @Alomar @ks888

Where is your proof that people who play multiple factions don't play nice, and how does this stop being who don't faction swap from not playing nice?

Its my opinion that it is, there seems to be alot that share this opinion with me... but if you want proof, is probably the change comming...

Elong, what proof do you have that it isnt like this, and people dosent change factions to instantly bandwagon to the winning side, couse there is a very akward correspondance, that people just happen to leave, or a loosing side loose numbers... except people saying they want to "help"...

I mean if what you say is true, why is for example DC staking two raids during certain hours, when AD for example barely have a handfull defending back keeps, IF people wanted to even the balance they would change factions, right, i never ever see it happen... all i see is winning side being stronger

So during the years these people could have balanced the factions, from huge pop inbalance, they dident...
    Edited by Miriel on May 11, 2019 8:30PM
  • Elong
    Elong
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Elong wrote: »
    @Alomar @ks888

Its my opinion that it is, there seems to be alot that share this opinion with me... but if you want proof, is probably the change comming...

Elong, what proof do you have that it isnt like this, and people dosent change factions to instantly bandwagon to the winning side, couse there is a very akward correspondance, that people just happen to leave, or a loosing side loose numbers... except people saying they want to "help"...

I mean if what you say is true, why is for example DC staking two raids during certain hours, when AD for example barely have a handfull defending back keeps, IF people wanted to even the balance they would change factions, right, i never ever see it happen... all i see is winning side being stronger

So during the years these people could have balanced the factions, from huge pop inbalance, they dident...

Firstly the burden of proof isn't on me, I haven't asked for a change , and you've accused people of not playing nice, not me : )

Secondly, the more logical explanation would be that the factions are populated on the whole by people who play at certain times. AD have 3 guilds that regularly play late at night until a certain time, and then 2 DC guilds start up an hour after them. EP has one mass guild that raids during the prime time and will stay on longer if there is more things to PVDoor or else they log for the night, and I don't see them on other factions.

Of course a few people swap around, not enough to change the course of the map. No guilds do this for map play.

Thirdly, people swapping to other sides, isn't playing badly, it has been a part of ESO for years now. If they want to change it, we're powerless to stop them, but to say it is because people don't play nice is ludicrous. There's people I don't want to Emp on my faction, I'm gonna put 20 oils down. If I want to be a ***, I'll throw my scroll into the slaughterfish. These types of scenarios occur within the faction, not from faction swappers.
  • bmesi
    bmesi
    ✭✭✭
    Imagine playing eso and having to worry about faction locks LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL
  • ks888
    ks888
    ✭✭✭✭
    @bmesi Afro 0 the bomblade that got away
  • bmesi
    bmesi
    ✭✭✭
    :-)))))))) Hi Norri
  • Kikke
    Kikke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The true PROBLEM with faction locks is that they cant come fast enough! GIVE THEM TODAY! Sick and tired of the factionless, begone already!
    Cleared Trials:
    - vAA HM - vHRC HM - vSO HM - vMoL HM - vHoF HM - vAS HM - vCR HM -

"The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step, and a lot of bitching."
    -Someone said it, I guess.
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The faction locks just stopping people from getting rewards but they can still join if they don’t care about rewards?
  • Elong
    Elong
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Kikke wrote: »
    The true PROBLEM with faction locks is that they cant come fast enough! GIVE THEM TODAY! Sick and tired of the factionless, begone already!

But you're happy to clear all those PVE trials you've listed in your footnote with players from other factions.
  • Enkil
    Enkil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    :#:D Such nonsense about faction hopping to balance things out. ESO PvP design favors zerging, hoarding scrolls, emperorship, and grants increasingly powerful bonuses to the already most powerful and dominating faction. The system is designed and built to disfavor and eliminate balance, and rapidly escalate and exacerbate power disparities.

There will never be balance until the devs forsake that extremely flawed design philosophy and take steps to bring about a better system. First there would need to be a paradigm shift... (is the current dev team even capable of that, and if so do they really even give a F about PvP tho?) Hey @ZOS_BrianWheeler , what do u think buddy?

Edited by Enkil on May 12, 2019 6:23AM