The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Disappointed in how easy the Wrathstone Vet dungeons are.

josiahva
josiahva
✭✭✭✭✭
So...I accidentally ran DoM on normal(as tank)...it was so easy I learned very little about the mechanics...everyone in the group was first time though...easy completion. I ran it again(pugging by the way) and remembered to select vet this time. We did wipe a couple times on the first boss...mainly because I was moving too much trying to avoid the poison spewing(then I just started meditating through 80% of it and had no problem at all) and a couple times on a couple of the other bosses, but it was a run with only me and one other guy having run through it once on normal with minimal mechanics knowledge and we passed it the first run through. The only other vet DLC dungeons I was able to pug first time through without trouble were the wolfhunter dungeons. I am really not impressed with the this trend. I remember when ICP and WGT came out...those were difficult for the time...and all the other DLC dungeons up to wolfhunter followed the same pattern...now they are trending to be too easy...vet DLC dungeons should take more practice than a single time through with a random pug. I have not yet tried Frostvault, but I suspect it will be the same story.

Here is the problem: Some of us dislike trials for various reasons(difficulty not being one of them). We enjoy difficult 4 man content, and aside from Blackrose and DSA, vet DLC dungeons used to be great content for us...now, not so much. An easy solution would be to make a 3rd difficulty tier for these dungeons with exclusive rewards of some type, the feeling I got from vDoM is that it was only marginally more difficult than vCoA, which would be fine if there was a 3rd difficulty tier, but without that, it feels like a letdown.
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ill be running it for the story, so to me the difficulty being more forgiving is a good thing.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • josiahva
    josiahva
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ArchMikem wrote: »
    Ill be running it for the story, so to me the difficulty being more forgiving is a good thing.

Run normal then...the only mechanic you cant just ignore there is the last boss and his deathwall.
  • tactx
    tactx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just knew this post would be about DoM and not Frost Vault vet. Only runs 1 dungeon and titles it dungeons. Typical forum poster does 1 thing and instantly thinks they know everything else too. You should start nerf threads about all classes after only playing one as well so you truly fit in.
    Edited by tactx on March 4, 2019 3:51PM
    “No one's happiness but my own is in my power to achieve or to destroy.” - John Galt, Atlas Shrugged
  • kind_hero
    kind_hero
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you found veteran Frostvault easy? I have done that in the first day, and I think it is the hardest so far. It took my group 4 hours to figure out the mechanics and complete it. The Malatar dungeon seems easier than Frostvault. Anyway, what would you expect, really? These dungeons are part of a story arc that leads to the next DLC, so they have to be accesible to most people. The veteran mode is challenging, but probably not so much for the 1% elite players. Try with a PUG or with less champion points, see if it is so easy :)
    [PC/EU] Tamriel Hero, Stormproof, Grand Master Crafter
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Malatar is much easier than Frostvault.

But I'm okay with the vet version being easy as long as the Hard Mode is properly hard. And Frostvault's HM is indeed properly hard. Malatar's HM is easier, but still a good challenge esp. if you want to do the HM deathless for Depths Defier.
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • josiahva
    josiahva
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kind_hero wrote: »
    Have you found veteran Frostvault easy? I have done that in the first day, and I think it is the hardest so far. It took my group 4 hours to figure out the mechanics and complete it. The Malatar dungeon seems easier than Frostvault. Anyway, what would you expect, really? These dungeons are part of a story arc that leads to the next DLC, so they have to be accesible to most people. The veteran mode is challenging, but probably not so much for the 1% elite players. Try with a PUG or with less champion points, see if it is so easy :)

I did it with a pug...that was the point.
  • josiahva
    josiahva
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tactx wrote: »
    I just knew this post would be about DoM and not Frost Vault vet. Only runs 1 dungeon and titles it dungeons. Typical forum poster does 1 thing and instantly thinks they know everything else too. You should start nerf threads about all classes after only playing one as well so you truly fit in.

True enough, I titled it badly. I never claimed I knew everything, just that this dungeon is too easy for a vet DLC dungeon. Now...instead of personal attacks, maybe you should add something about the dungeons themselves? I will pug Frostvault tonight and update this thread with my view on that one.
    Edited by josiahva on March 4, 2019 6:28PM
  • Lord_Eomer
    Lord_Eomer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Have you done HM?

Dungeons are not very easy comparing existing DLC dungeons
  • TelvanniWizard
    TelvanniWizard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I find Symphony of blades rather difficult on vet.
  • Mr_Walker
    Mr_Walker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The higher your ping, the less forgiving dungeons are.

Just pointing that out.
  • Grandma
    Grandma
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    symphony was pretty difficult to pug, i beat it 2 hours in on day 1 of the patch nad it was a lot of fun but i do get the impression they're a little easier and shorter than some recent ones (thinking launch bloodroot forge & the length of SCP and fang lair) which is a welcome change on my part because i don't like dungeon designs where it's just 300 trash mobs in an endless hallway between bosses like fang lair felt like, and BRF. at least SCP had vertical movement and climbing which made it more fun.
    GH / 3/04/2021 / Elemental Catalyst Necromancer
  • Varana
    Varana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Also, "I was able to PUG Wolfhunter immediately without trouble":
    First, it may be that you've simply become better at the game since Imperial City etc. That would probably be the reason when that first-time PUG clear was on vet.
    Second, if that was on normal, I can only commend ZOS for that course. Normal should be accessible to random PUGs, also for DLC dungeons. And if you're a player who's routinely smashing vetDLCs into smithereens, then of course normal is too easy for you. You're not the target audience.
  • Kuramas9tails
    Kuramas9tails
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is my thought but:
    keep in mind this is a dungeon connected to the chapter coming up. This isn't so much about making a DLC for veteran dungeon players to perfect but rather a scale that all players can pass pre-dlc dungeon difficulty.
    Edited by Kuramas9tails on March 4, 2019 7:04PM
      Your friendly neighborhood crazy cat lady of ESO
      New PSN name: SundariTheLast. Proud seller in RedEye Empire, PURPLE GANG and Backalley Trading.
      AD High Elf Mageblade DPS (General)(Former Empress) -- Stormproof/VMOL, VHOF, VDSA completion
      AD Khajiit Mageblade DPS -- Flawless Conquerer
      FOR THE QUEEN!
      PS4/NA
    • Chaos2088
      Chaos2088
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      People moan things are too hard, people moan that things are too easy. Meh.....
      @Chaos2088 PC EU Server | AD-PvP
    • FLuFFyxMuFFiN
      FLuFFyxMuFFiN
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      If normal is too easy got do vet. If that's too easy go do vet HM. If that's too easy well then you are probably in the minority that thinks everything is too easy
    • peacenote
      peacenote
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      Something I've noticed which may be related...

I get better PUG groups when new content drops.

After something has been out for a while, unless you choose a group specifically FOR that DLC, it's much more likely that the only takers you're getting is someone queuing for random or someone queueing for a pledge who is brand new and doesn't know the DLCs are harder.

But right now, more of us are checking it out through dungeon finder.
      My #1 wish for ESO Today: Decouple achievements from character progress and tracking.
      • Advocate for this HERE.
      • Want the history of this issue? It's HERE.
    • GoldenLight
      GoldenLight
      ✭✭✭
      Only made it in Depths of Malatar solo to the room where the black orb is located. Almost beat that just a hair short before I got killed and had to log anyway. Anyone know how much further I need to go in that dungeon to beat it?

May go back to try my luck in that area again for fun... lol! Guess I will need to work a little more on my sorcerer while doing that.
      "Wonderful! Time for a celebration... Cheese for everyone!"

• oxygen_thief
      oxygen_thief
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      if you are so godlike you can try to play with one hand only. with left one if you are righty or even can try to do it blindfolded. this will increase difficulty drastically
      Edited by oxygen_thief on March 12, 2019 6:46PM
    • Tan9oSuccka
      Tan9oSuccka
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭
      If Yoloswag420scopez (Max CP, gold meta gear) says it’s too easy, it’s probably just about right.
      Of course I like steak. I'm a Nord, aren't I?
      -Berj Stoneheart
    • coj901
      coj901
      ✭✭✭
      Cool story bro
    • jaws343
      jaws343
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      josiahva wrote: »
      kind_hero wrote: »

I did it with a pug...that was the point.

That is with the assumption that all PUGs are terrible. Which isn't the case. Some are great. And some are impossible to complete with. You got a lucky PUG.
    • Jeremy
      Jeremy
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      josiahva wrote: »
      So...I accidentally ran DoM on normal(as tank)...it was so easy I learned very little about the mechanics...everyone in the group was first time though...easy completion. I ran it again(pugging by the way) and remembered to select vet this time. We did wipe a couple times on the first boss...mainly because I was moving too much trying to avoid the poison spewing(then I just started meditating through 80% of it and had no problem at all) and a couple times on a couple of the other bosses, but it was a run with only me and one other guy having run through it once on normal with minimal mechanics knowledge and we passed it the first run through. The only other vet DLC dungeons I was able to pug first time through without trouble were the wolfhunter dungeons. I am really not impressed with the this trend. I remember when ICP and WGT came out...those were difficult for the time...and all the other DLC dungeons up to wolfhunter followed the same pattern...now they are trending to be too easy...vet DLC dungeons should take more practice than a single time through with a random pug. I have not yet tried Frostvault, but I suspect it will be the same story.

Here is the problem: Some of us dislike trials for various reasons(difficulty not being one of them). We enjoy difficult 4 man content, and aside from Blackrose and DSA, vet DLC dungeons used to be great content for us...now, not so much. An easy solution would be to make a 3rd difficulty tier for these dungeons with exclusive rewards of some type, the feeling I got from vDoM is that it was only marginally more difficult than vCoA, which would be fine if there was a 3rd difficulty tier, but without that, it feels like a letdown.

I haven't done the new Vet DLCs yet. So you may be right.

But considering you wiped several time on the bosses according to your own story they don't sound so bad to me. That you were able to figure out the mechanics on your own and get through it on the first time in a pug doesn't sound like legitimate gripe to me. The "mechanics' should be straight forward enough you can learn them on your own your first time through. I don't care for it when I have to investigate a dungeon on google.
    • Oreyn_Bearclaw
      Oreyn_Bearclaw
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ArchMikem wrote: »

If you are running for the story, you comment has no relevance to the discussion. Normal is story mode. This thread is talking about vet.

To the OP, I was also extremely disappointed in these dungeons for the same reason. I didnt actually pug them, but my first runs of these were an absolute cakewalk expect one of the final bosses, which turned out to have a bugged mechanic. The trash is a joke. There is nothing of merit that even warrants a discussion. All of the other DLC dungeons (there might be an exception or two) has something in the trash pulls that at least has to be considered. The bosses are almost all glorified stack in burns where the most difficult mechanic is "kill adds".
    • Mettaricana
      Mettaricana
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭
      Glad its easy too much gard content
    • Jhalin
      Jhalin
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭
      It’s not too easy just because you completed with a pug, but the mechanics are straightforward which makes it so much simpler for a group of randoms to clear as compared to ICP, or RoM back in the day

Normal however is kinda sad how easy it is, you really don’t learn a thing
    • Matchimus
      Matchimus
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Deleted - point already made
      Edited by Matchimus on March 12, 2019 8:19PM
    • AndyMac
      AndyMac
      ✭✭✭✭
      Maybe ZOS is trying to sell more DLC’s? I can’t see the point of having basic vet content being super hard. That’s what vet HM’s are for. Last time I checked, most (all?) serious PvE endgame players don’t even run non HM at all - always HM.

So who cares?

Ive only done vDoM with a pug through GF for a look and a clear - which we got with a bit of persistence. Like vSC, it’s a fun, good looking dungeon that a pug can do with some persistence.

Seems fine to me.
      Andymac - Magicka DK - EP Grand Overlord - Flawless Conqueror
    • IzzyStardust
      IzzyStardust
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Weird flex.
    • Malprave
      Malprave
      ✭✭✭✭
      I’m not buying it. Any of it.
      Edited by Malprave on March 12, 2019 11:29PM
    • Sevn
      Sevn
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      A dungeon meant to be accessible to all is found to be too easy by maxed out vet player.
      In other breaking news....
      There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man, true nobility is being superior to your former self
      -Hemingway