Maintenance for the week of June 17:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – June 17, 10:00PM EDT (June 18, 2:00 UTC) - June 18, 5:00AM EDT (9:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – June 17, 10:00PM EDT (June 18, 2:00 UTC) - June 18, 5:00AM EDT (9:00 UTC)

Templars PvP - Detailed Guide, Suggestions, Advice, etc. - Elsweyr

• StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    BNOC wrote: »
    Reaper_00 wrote: »
    Today was frustrating as hell. xD

I understand that people think Templars are OP right now but on the two little builds that I've been using I only feel competitive, not OP. Even if Templars were OP, I think it's evened out by getting focused in BG by everyone as soon as you pop your head up. And then so many players just turn and run, and I don't have the mobility to keep up with them. I spend the majority of the time chasing and being chased. It's not much fun. I guess only certain builds are OP.

For chasing just slot toppling charge. It can even keep up with a streak spamming sorc. For being chased either mist form if you’re a vampire or race against time.

I do slot toppling but people can turn on a dime and dip behind objects. The only way for me to keep up to them would be to use both RaT and wear some stamina glyphs in my jewelry. I just let them go (but then of course they start shooting me in the back LOL cowards).

On to another topic: I wanted to ask a question about Ritual of Retribution now that it's getting a damage nerf. Will there be any reason to slot it anymore. The primary uses I got out of it was that it decloaked Nightblades and that it helped Radiant Aura/Siphon Spirit return resources as it did damage.

Since it's getting a damage nerf, RoR needs to be buffed somewhere else. ZOS, make it a stronger HoT. Either that or have it remove one negative effect every two sends. The way poisons and bleeds can quickly be reapplied makes it extremely hard to combat for a class with no proactive defense or a good HoT.

This would be like a Christmas gift for me and I don't think it's a lot to ask.

Keeping up with stam classes is hard, it's just sprint, dodge roll, sprint, dodge roll, turn, try dizzying swing into ult (failed?) then sprint, dodge roll, sprint, dodge roll. You have to watch their roll pattern, you'll notice almost everyone the plays like that will roll at the exact same time (as a pattern, not in sync) - If you hold your charge a second longer, you'll often get them coming out of a roll.

Either way, if people are playing like that, just move yourself into the most open space around and force them to come to you, don't chase people about. It's not even worth your time and at the end of the day, they all have to come to you if they want it.

As pertains to Ritual, I see you talking about struggling now and then, is there a reason other than the couple you've said that you've not been running Extended? Another 2 dots per cleanse is nice, especially with how easy it is to reapply poisons and many other dots.

Same as the above generalisation of stam characters, Nightblades can't kill you from a distance, so you're fine to just wait them out, if they want to play hide and seek, let them crack on with that zzz-fest. If they want to bang, be ready in your ring and they'll be there in no time, don't get baited out of your defence because they'll be much more effective if they spring on you then than when you're at home.

Main reason was the damage buff. But that's going away now. So I'm proposing ways to still make it useful. We can't have useless morphs continue to pass through these audits, especially when Templars have some needs that can be met (like the need for a good heal over time).
    Options
  • Reaper_00
    Reaper_00
    ✭✭✭✭
    I do slot toppling but people can turn on a dime and dip behind objects. The only way for me to keep up to them would be to use both RaT and wear some stamina glyphs in my jewelry. I just let them go (but then of course they start shooting me in the back LOL cowards)
    The trick is to immediately follow up toppling with something to slow them. Jabs/sweeps (will need last hit to land), caltrops or even your cleanse (with the scared ground passive) will help with that. You can even weave toppling into your rotation if your mag pool is big enough.

Options
  • lukoi
    lukoi
    ✭✭✭
    Some great give and take on this thread but In curious about some more stam feedback, specific to my build if folks could gimme a quick assist.

Im running 5M, 2H, with Automaton, 7th legion, and a couple of monster pieces for stat increases.

2H bar is:
    Rally for MB and heal, executioner, camo hunter for the buff (but not wedded to it), rune (to trigger 7th), gap closer and onslaught.

Bow bar:
    PotL, drain shot, poison inject, purge ritual, elusive mist (vamp line), and ballista or RAT.

Am I grossly off base here? Ive enjoyed it thus far and its my most effective toon in BGs so far, but given some of the skills being debated here, concerned I need to tweak it to be more effective.
    Options
  • BNOC
    BNOC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lukoi wrote: »
    Some great give and take on this thread but In curious about some more stam feedback, specific to my build if folks could gimme a quick assist.

Im running 5M, 2H, with Automaton, 7th legion, and a couple of monster pieces for stat increases.

2H bar is:
    Rally for MB and heal, executioner, camo hunter for the buff (but not wedded to it), rune (to trigger 7th), gap closer and onslaught.

Bow bar:
    PotL, drain shot, poison inject, purge ritual, elusive mist (vamp line), and ballista or RAT.

Am I grossly off base here? Ive enjoyed it thus far and its my most effective toon in BGs so far, but given some of the skills being debated here, concerned I need to tweak it to be more effective.

Everyone plays differently, even the magplars in here, despite being forced to often run 6 or 7 of the same abilities, there's a few flex spots and people tend to differ based on their own experiences and comfort.

A lot of magplars will use mists where I use RAT, they'll use Purifying when I'd use Solar, they'd use SNB where I'd use Ice staff etc; Away from the class requisites, most of it comes down to your preference and weaknesses.

Though, with that said, I don't think you should be running Mist, vampire or RAT at all on a Stamplar.
    vMSA - Magplar - Xbox EU - 15/11/16
    578,000 - 36 Minutes 58 Seconds (Top 2 World?)

vMSA - Magplar - Xbox NA
    569,000 - 40 minutes (350CP, Non optimised runs)
    Options
  • lukoi
    lukoi
    ✭✭✭

Though, with that said, I don't think you should be running Mist, vampire or RAT at all on a Stamplar.

@BNOC Ive basically moved to ballista fulltime, but out of curiousity, why would you not run vamp/mist on a stamplar specifically.

I find it to be a solid get out of jail free card as long as I recognize Im about to be overwhelmed before it actually occurs.

Have a recommended option to swap in? Thanks.

Options
  • BNOC
    BNOC
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@BNOC Ive basically moved to ballista fulltime, but out of curiousity, why would you not run vamp/mist on a stamplar specifically.

I find it to be a solid get out of jail free card as long as I recognize Im about to be overwhelmed before it actually occurs.

Have a recommended option to swap in? Thanks.

That's what I was saying above, if that works for you then that's what works for you and only you know that.

I wouldn't run it because it's a magicka based skill and takes away from your cleanse potential or other magicka dumps - Also, you're prone to fire as a Vampire and with recent changes to destro stuns and the upcoming dot changes, I expect even more fire than currently exists. But like I said, if you do good with it, then you do good with it!

This applies more to magplars but I guess you as well; it's always handy to persist through dying when you drop skills like mists and vampire with passives like undeath until you don't die anymore, you'll come out the other side a much stronger player - The positioning and environmental understanding has to change, you have to be aware of your disengage points before you need them, not find them when you're already in mists and so on.

I would imagine rolling, sprinting and utilising the environment is what's common amongst Stamplars, perhaps speed stamina pots?

vMSA - Magplar - Xbox NA
    Options
  • lukoi
    lukoi
    ✭✭✭
    Great reply man, thanks. Like the train of thought here of not being reliant on something like Mist, when I could conceivably more proactive with my LOSing, or breaking contact before something like Mist becomes mandatory. Will take a look at some other options here, and perhaps find a way to force myself to be a more proactive player, vice reactive.
    Options
  • BNOC
    BNOC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great reply man, thanks. Like the train of thought here of not being reliant on something like Mist, when I could conceivably more proactive with my LOSing, or breaking contact before something like Mist becomes mandatory. Will take a look at some other options here, and perhaps find a way to force myself to be a more proactive player, vice reactive.

Exactly :)

ANyway, there's plenty of Stamplars on here though who know a hell of a lot more than I do about Stamplar, hang on and I'm sure you'll get some better replies regarding setups and whatnot.

vMSA - Magplar - Xbox NA
    Options
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I do slot toppling but people can turn on a dime and dip behind objects. The only way for me to keep up to them would be to use both RaT and wear some stamina glyphs in my jewelry. I just let them go (but then of course they start shooting me in the back LOL cowards)
    The trick is to immediately follow up toppling with something to slow them. Jabs/sweeps (will need last hit to land), caltrops or even your cleanse (with the scared ground passive) will help with that. You can even weave toppling into your rotation if your mag pool is big enough.

I do everything I can to slow them down but my character is just plain slow and I can't waste much stamina because I'll be rooted again in no time.

In fact, sometimes when I get rooted I don't try to break out. I wait to see how much damage they're doing and if I think I can survive by the time the root wears off, I'll just stay there. 😂

I just don't see how any non-vampire magplars can play without stamina glyphs or at least 18k stamina.
    Options
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I do everything I can to slow them down but my character is just plain slow and I can't waste much stamina because I'll be rooted again in no time.

In fact, sometimes when I get rooted I don't try to break out. I wait to see how much damage they're doing and if I think I can survive by the time the root wears off, I'll just stay there. 😂

I just don't see how any non-vampire magplars can play without stamina glyphs or at least 18k stamina.

I have tri food and 17k stam use RAT, with light armor cost reduction, sprinting is cheap when you learn to "feather" it in bursts. Ad in living dark, drop ER down while running away, and you just became really obnoxious to chase down. Im not running steed but 2 swift. You can stay arcane or whatever and run steed, which sprinting BTW; with proper CP increases your health and magicka recovery.
    Edited by technohic on October 1, 2019 6:46PM
    Options
  • Hexquisite
    Hexquisite
    ✭✭✭✭

I am probs in the minority but I run Tri Food, Steed Mundus--RAT, and Immovable Speed pots with Stam regen for some situations. I have 17.5 to 19 K stam depending on which gear I am wearing. The Steed Mundus does cost me some things, but I make it up elsewhere mostly. And also I play with 2 to 4 people usually whom tend to be Stam players, so I have to be fast. I have gotten tells after BGs about how slippery I am, and in in Open World about how fast I am.
    Edited by Hexquisite on October 1, 2019 10:06PM
    PC NA
    ~Ethereal Traders Union~
    ~Spicy Economics~
    ~Tropic Thunder~
    ~Us Ghosts~

Options
  • EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hexquisite wrote: »

I am probs in the minority but I run Tri Food, Steed Mundus--RAT, and Immovable Speed pots with Stam regen for some situations. I have 17.5 to 19 K stam depending on which gear I am wearing. The Steed Mundus does cost me some things, but I make it up elsewhere mostly. And also I play with 2 to 4 people usually whom tend to be Stam players, so I have to be fast. I have gotten tells after BGs about how slippery I am, and in in Open World about how fast I am.

I never wanna be called slippery on my magplar. Lol. Evasive maybe, but slippery sounds weak and cowardly. Don't try to get away, try to build your fighting terms.

@StarOfElyon u don't need nearly as much stamina if you're able to manufacture offense that manipulates the flow of combat.
    Options
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    EtTuBrutus wrote: »

I never wanna be called slippery on my magplar. Lol. Evasive maybe, but slippery sounds weak and cowardly. Don't try to get away, try to build your fighting terms.

@StarOfElyon u don't need nearly as much stamina if you're able to manufacture offense that manipulates the flow of combat.

I have about 33 k magicka, 20k health, and 19k stamina. 2100 - 2400 spell damage.

These numbers help me stay alive the longest, from all my months of trial and error.

Still, after another rough night defensively, I feel like crafting some heavy armor in fortified brass and wearing all protective jewelry. XD
    Options
  • EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I have about 33 k magicka, 20k health, and 19k stamina. 2100 - 2400 spell damage.

These numbers help me stay alive the longest, from all my months of trial and error.

Still, after another rough night defensively, I feel like crafting some heavy armor in fortified brass and wearing all protective jewelry. XD

20k hp? U must be mistaken. Playstyle it's a contributor to survivability just as much as your build. Standing there and taking it is bad play, generally.
    Options
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

20k hp? U must be mistaken. Playstyle it's a contributor to survivability just as much as your build. Standing there and taking it is bad play, generally.

If I was standing there I wouldn't need so much stamina, now would I?
    Options
  • BNOC
    BNOC
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Just for reference,

I have 25 or 26k HP, 38.5k Magicka and 14.5k Stamina with 2800 SD Unbuffed.
    I have 20k~ resists, I am not a vampire and only use RAT, no steed, swift or pots etc;

Half the battle is positioning, if you re-position constantly and are aware of what's going on around you, you'll be sound.

I've said it a fair few times, in and out of here, but learning to play without vampire makes people better at the game - It's too easy to use it as a panic button and never learn to pay attention to what's going on around you.

Rather than "Oh *** 3 more blues are on me, better mist and find a tree" you learn to think "Oh ***, 3 blues are coming, I'm about to be outnumbered, I'll LOS and funnel them" as you start moving early to a doorway you know is there.

Even if you keep mists, start playing ahead of your opponents - Don't mist when they've got you at execute, mist and move before that happens and try clean yourself up and get back on the offensive - If you're staying aggressive and are managing resources by not getting too excited when someone is low, you have them.

vMSA - Magplar - Xbox NA
    Options
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Just for reference,

I have 20k~ resists, I am not a vampire and only use RAT, no steed, swift or pots etc;

Half the battle is positioning, if you re-position constantly and are aware of what's going on around you, you'll be sound.

I've said it a fair few times, in and out of here, but learning to play without vampire makes people better at the game - It's too easy to use it as a panic button and never learn to pay attention to what's going on around you.

Rather than "Oh *** 3 more blues are on me, better mist and find a tree" you learn to think "Oh ***, 3 blues are coming, I'm about to be outnumbered, I'll LOS and funnel them" as you start moving early to a doorway you know is there.

Even if you keep mists, start playing ahead of your opponents - Don't mist when they've got you at execute, mist and move before that happens and try clean yourself up and get back on the offensive - If you're staying aggressive and are managing resources by not getting too excited when someone is low, you have them.

Just curious how you get that magicka with what I am guessing are infused spell damage glyphs?

I do agree that playing without Mist Form forces you to get better. Sure, there will be times you die rather than run away, but if the object is to run away in threatening situations, Nightblade is probably the class to play.
    Options
  • BNOC
    BNOC
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Just for reference,

Just curious how you get that magicka with what I am guessing are infused spell damage glyphs?

I do agree that playing without Mist Form forces you to get better. Sure, there will be times you die rather than run away, but if the object is to run away in threatening situations, Nightblade is probably the class to play.

Yeah that's right, infused SD (2 rings) - I'm not sure as I haven't done anything tricky, I'll have a look later when I'm in - I was 40k before I changed my rings and I'm 32k~ in no-CP.

I got no defensive sets, BTB & Shackle but run 3 prismatics.

I didn't mean run necessarily as I'll always stay until I die when I'm alone, no point leaving, I'd only die eventually.

I just meant I like to play to my advantages and since I find Templar against multiple stacked targets is rather good, for me at least, pulling groups where I want them and consistently making them move to me is quite optimal.

That's when I'm outnumbered against decent people who know what's up though, I'm not about to bait single targets and your average groups around because you can stay on top of them without much trouble.
    Edited by BNOC on October 2, 2019 3:47PM

vMSA - Magplar - Xbox NA
    Options
  • BNOC
    BNOC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quickly made the build up, minus a couple golded out pieces or whatever

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildEditor?id=181728

Fairly accurate to my live stats, give or take a couple changes here and there.

Not gonna face tank multiple good people with it but I ain't bothered about prolonging death, I'd sooner take a couple with me.

vMSA - Magplar - Xbox NA
    Options
  • Kartalin
    Kartalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I feel like 20k health is a little too low for any scenario, cp or no. I usually try to get to 22k at least in non cp, preferably closer to 24k health so you can survive burst damage a little better. Especially if you're a melee build.

Honestly having enough health and stamina is superior to most defensive sets, 30k resists doesn't feel much different that 20k to me, so I tend to run 5-1-1 light with blood spawn and two offensive 5 piece sets lately. E.g. Bright throat, alfiq, and blood spawn with tri-stat drink and tri-glyphs at least on big pieces (head chest legs).
    • PC/NA
    • Karllotta, AD Magplar, AR 50
    • Hatched-In-Glacier, DC Magden, AR 44
    • Miraliys, EP Warden, AR 35
    • Kartalin, AD Stamblade, AR 35
    • Miralys, AD Magsorc, AR 35
    • Milthalas, EP Magblade, AR 35
    • Kallenna, AD Magcro, AR 34
    • Lemon Party - Meanest Girls - @ Kartalin - Youtube
    Options
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Not gonna face tank multiple good people with it but I ain't bothered about prolonging death, I'd sooner take a couple with me.

Solid. I keep forgetting shackle adds 2K magicka :open_mouth:

I like Spring Loaded Infusion myself with Bright Throats, but I use 1H & Shield so need the extra stam.
    Options
  • Hexquisite
    Hexquisite
    ✭✭✭✭

As long as I win the match and get kills I don't care what they call me:)
    PC NA
    ~Ethereal Traders Union~
    ~Spicy Economics~
    ~Tropic Thunder~
    ~Us Ghosts~

Options
  • EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im sitting at
    26.2k hp, 41.2k mag, 14k stam, 1700 mag regen, 25k spell and 20.5k physical on my offensive bar with skoria.
    Options
  • EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    https://youtu.be/omQTnmFpv_w

Surfing from last week.
    Edited by EtTuBrutus on October 2, 2019 10:19PM
    Options
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I guess I should also mention that the only non-class skill that I use is Siphon Spirit.
    Options
  • BNOC
    BNOC
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Solid. I keep forgetting shackle adds 2K magicka :open_mouth:

I like Spring Loaded Infusion myself with Bright Throats, but I use 1H & Shield so need the extra stam.

Yeah, I ain't good enough to run 1400 recovery or whatever it is without WMPB, I'd have to swap mundus from Apprentice to Atro to run Spring Loaded, cheers anyway :) It does me for what I get up to.

vMSA - Magplar - Xbox NA
    Options
  • BNOC
    BNOC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im sitting at
    26.2k hp, 41.2k mag, 14k stam, 1700 mag regen, 25k spell and 20.5k physical on my offensive bar with skoria.

What you running? And what's your Spell Damage?

vMSA - Magplar - Xbox NA
    Options
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So anyone still planning to run onslaught? Thinking I will on my stamplar as we do not have major fracture without running 1h/shield, but I will run some penetration with it.
    Options
  • casparian
    casparian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    technohic wrote: »
    So anyone still planning to run onslaught? Thinking I will on my stamplar as we do not have major fracture without running 1h/shield, but I will run some penetration with it.
    I still will on stamplar. 15% less penetration is not a deal-breaker for me, and on a medium high damage build the reduced duration will often enough be unnoticeable -- I'm either killing them in a couple seconds after Onslaught or I'll have to pull away and reset.
    7-day PVP campaign regular 2016-2019, Flawless Conqueror. MagDK/stamplar/stamwarden/mageblade. Requiem, Legend, Knights of Daggerfall. Currently retired from the wars; waiting on performance improvements.
    Options
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    casparian wrote: »
    technohic wrote: »
    I still will on stamplar. 15% less penetration is not a deal-breaker for me, and on a medium high damage build the reduced duration will often enough be unnoticeable -- I'm either killing them in a couple seconds after Onslaught or I'll have to pull away and reset.

Agree there. Actually not a bad move as I've been able to go HAM through a group of people with the longer duration. Felt OP then. Can still line up a burst window with it so long as performance issues improve to where you can actually activate it while POTL is still up.
    Options