The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Templars PvP - Detailed Guide, Suggestions, Advice, etc. - Elsweyr

• kapachia
    kapachia
    ✭✭✭
    Austacker wrote: »
    I'm trying to get into PvP in this game as a pure healer, but having real problems with sustain and damage reduction.

I've tried using multiple different sets so far - Transmutation, Impreg, Fortified Brass, Seducers, Trollking Monster set etc

I've tried using both full light, full heavy - 2 staffs, 1 staff / sword n board

I've tried using different skills to deflect damage and help with stuns like Timestop (far too slow IMHO), Piercing Javelin / Explosive Charge and the staple defences like Rune Focus/Living Dark/Ritual etc

I know I suck and I'm a noob, but I just can't for the life of me 'get it'.

No matter what setup I use, even in a 1v1 encounter it always goes the same way. Softening up - stun - burst - dead.

I was always under the impression that the Templar could be built to be basically indestructible in a 1v1 situation but I just cannot find a guide / practical example on how to build and play the spec.

Can anyone give me some practical advice in this regard?

I don't want to actually kill other players. I want to be able to heal my team members, provide the anchor in your take and hold Battlegrounds and frustrate the DPS style players not being able to kill me.

I need to understand gear - spec - skills to use because right now, I seriously just don't understand it and the whole situation is frustrating me to a point where I've almost given up trying.

Haaaalp!?!!???!!!

If you want to be a support/heal in Cyrodiil, you will not going to win against equally skilled opponent who is geared/skilled out for burst dps on 1 vs 1. Cannot have it all.

Bur as a support/heal, you can definitely stay alive for draw or wait for your teammate to assist you. After all, your stated your purpose is to heal and support group. You can certainly add few ranged attack that also heal/debuff to assist with kill.

Since you already have transmutation and impregnable sets already, give this a try. Just remember, this isn't geared/skilled for 1v1 PvP but supporting role in Cyrodiil.

I use

Bloodspawn helm/shoulder (heavy/heavy) in impen

Impregnable chest (heavy) in infuse
    Impregnable leg (heavy) in impen
    Impregnable boot/hand/belt (heavy/med/light) in sturdy

Transmutation (arcane) w mag recovery

Transmutation sword in defending
    Transmutation shield in impen

I use Tri-stat for head/chest/leg/shield

Front: puncture sweep or repentenc, race against time, ritual of retribution, channeled focus, breath of life, crescent sweep/remembrance

Back: unstable core, vampire bane, structured entropy, efficient purge/flexible, radiating regen, solar prison

Usual ulti use of solar prison or remembrance during siege breach/flag capture. Backbar unstable core, vampire, and entropy for range dam in group play.

You are tanky enough w blocking to survive blindside 1 vs 1 ganking.
  • kapachia
    kapachia
    ✭✭✭
    kapachia wrote: »
    I'm trying to get into PvP in this game as a pure healer, but having real problems with sustain and damage reduction.

I've tried using multiple different sets so far - Transmutation, Impreg, Fortified Brass, Seducers, Trollking Monster set etc

I've tried using both full light, full heavy - 2 staffs, 1 staff / sword n board

I've tried using different skills to deflect damage and help with stuns like Timestop (far too slow IMHO), Piercing Javelin / Explosive Charge and the staple defences like Rune Focus/Living Dark/Ritual etc

I know I suck and I'm a noob, but I just can't for the life of me 'get it'.

No matter what setup I use, even in a 1v1 encounter it always goes the same way. Softening up - stun - burst - dead.

I was always under the impression that the Templar could be built to be basically indestructible in a 1v1 situation but I just cannot find a guide / practical example on how to build and play the spec.

Can anyone give me some practical advice in this regard?

I don't want to actually kill other players. I want to be able to heal my team members, provide the anchor in your take and hold Battlegrounds and frustrate the DPS style players not being able to kill me.

I need to understand gear - spec - skills to use because right now, I seriously just don't understand it and the whole situation is frustrating me to a point where I've almost given up trying.

Haaaalp!?!!???!!!

If you want to be a support/heal in Cyrodiil, you will not going to win against equally skilled opponent who is geared/skilled out for burst dps on 1 vs 1. Cannot have it all.

Bur as a support/heal, you can definitely stay alive for draw or wait for your teammate to assist you. After all, your stated your purpose is to heal and support group. You can certainly add few ranged attack that also heal/debuff to assist with kill.

Since you already have transmutation and impregnable sets already, give this a try. Just remember, this isn't geared/skilled for 1v1 PvP but supporting role in Cyrodiil.

I use

Bloodspawn helm/shoulder (heavy/heavy) in impen

Impregnable chest (heavy) in infuse
    Impregnable leg (heavy) in impen
    Impregnable boot/hand/belt (heavy/med/light) in sturdy

Transmutation (arcane) w mag recovery

Transmutation sword in defending
    Transmutation shield in impen

I use Tri-stat for head/chest/leg/shield

Front: puncture sweep or repentenc, race against time, ritual of retribution, channeled focus, breath of life, crescent sweep/remembrance

Back: unstable core, vampire bane, structured entropy, efficient purge/flexible, radiating regen, solar prison

Usual ulti use of solar prison or remembrance during siege breach/flag capture. Backbar unstable core, vampire, and entropy for range dam in group play.

You are tanky enough w blocking to survive blindside 1 vs 1 ganking.

Sorry.. Obviously that was

Transmutation JEWELRY (arcane) w mag recovery.
  • BaiterOfZergs
    BaiterOfZergs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can play support and kill people. The thing is you can’t look at it from a pure support perspective when creating a build. For an example trans+spell power+monster set of choice. Most likely bloodspawn and make sure you have snb.

Then you have to set your bars up in a way that compliments your intended playstyle and this update it’s really easy to put together a support build that does good damage because the increase to dots.

On your gear you need the appropriate traits and you need the perfect balance between spell damage and sustain. If your intention is to mostly play support as in healing/buffing but being able to kill someone by yourself then you should be able to achieve that.
    Zerg of House Smallscale, First of his name, wielder of Volendrung, battleground hero, Cyrodiil butcher, the swifft footed, OG of the Templars and first pvpers, defender of scrolls and baiter of zergs.
  • Austacker
    Austacker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Atm I'm running the Heals & Dreams setup from Dottz

https://dottzgaming.com/build/heals-and-dreams-magicka-templar-pvp-build/

And I'm utter crap at it. Been trying for days but I seriously just cannot get the hang of it.

Has anyone else been able to use this to good effect because I just can't make this build work either.

It's getting frustrating!!
    Edited by Austacker on September 23, 2019 8:44AM
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

And I'm utter crap at it. Been trying for days but I seriously just cannot get the hang of it.

Has anyone else been able to use this to good effect because I just can't make this build work either.

Looks like a heal bot. No idea where it stands there but I would thinking having living dark over unstable core would be ok to have 1 self defense rather than just heal others. Either way, looks like a terrible time in PVP to me.
  • Syiccal
    Syiccal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does any one go full dmg specs , low regen , light armour in pvp. How do you find it ?
  • EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Syiccal wrote: »
    Does any one go full dmg specs , low regen , light armour in pvp. How do you find it ?

That's a zergling set up, great for zerging. They're fun in duels too.
  • Syiccal
    Syiccal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    EtTuBrutus wrote: »

Yea I see that
  • EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yea I see that

To an unsuspecting zerg surfer :

dark flare (still can hit hard) with reflective into a toppling / cresent all hits about the same time and can be devastating.
  • Neoauspex
    Neoauspex
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yea I see that

To an unsuspecting zerg surfer :

dark flare (still can hit hard) with reflective into a toppling / cresent all hits about the same time and can be devastating.

I'm running Dark Flare on my solo/small group build right now just because major defile is less ubiquitous.

(And because it hits real hard after an Onslaught)
  • EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Onslaughts over performing so nicely lol
  • Hexquisite
    Hexquisite
    ✭✭✭✭

That is an older build, which still could work, but this patch has some nice changes that you could take advantage of, like Living Dark. Also if you are going against a faction with a lot of DKs and fire, being a vampire sucks. As previously stated I use RAT, you also get a nice little shield when you block on the with the psijic Skill, as well as you have access to Temporal Guard which gives minor protection on your defense bar. Also you need to take into consideration if you are running in an organzied group which offers some protection, because when you get focused they should try to protect you.

Really you just have to stick with it and learn from experience, Most healers and even support healers die all the time, my friends who hop on heals or support heals get frustrated and switch back to DPS within 30 mins all the time. I have so many deaths from my first year playing it is crazy--but now I get salty tells accusing me of cheating.

You really have a lot of Skills to play with, I can heal my Small group fine with just ER, Radiating Regen and Hasty Prayer or BOL. I do not use a healing ulti, I use Crescent or Nova or Temporal Guard.

P.S. If you are running a huge group, as a new healer you probs can really only heal 4 people. Big groups try to have 1 healer for every 4 or 5 people it seems.
    Edited by Hexquisite on September 24, 2019 6:30PM
    PC NA
    ~Ethereal Traders Union~
    ~Spicy Economics~
    ~Tropic Thunder~
    ~Us Ghosts~

• Rhaegar75
    Rhaegar75
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    casparian wrote: »
    I keep chopping and changing gear set ups, cant make my mind up what I wanna use
    That's part of the fun :p

What you using at the min? I'm on BTB, crafty and interchangeable monster sets, fancy something with a bit of speed, but harder to obtain on mag

I’m in a similar position as I use the exact same gear. The problem is that I find BTB and Crafty such a good mix...hard to change it.
    I tried Rattlecage and Julianos (various mix) but I haven’t found any major benefit.
    I may give spinner a go in the future
  • Austacker
    Austacker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hexquisite wrote: »
    Really you just have to stick with it and learn from experience, Most healers and even support healers die all the time, my friends who hop on heals or support heals get frustrated and switch back to DPS within 30 mins all the time. I have so many deaths from my first year playing it is crazy--but now I get salty tells accusing me of cheating.

You really have a lot of Skills to play with, I can heal my Small group fine with just ER, Radiating Regen and Hasty Prayer or BOL. I do not use a healing ulti, I use Crescent or Nova or Temporal Guard.

P.S. If you are running a huge group, as a new healer you probs can really only heal 4 people. Big groups try to have 1 healer for every 4 or 5 people it seems.

Yep, you're absolutely right there.

Going into PvP as a healer / buffer is an exercise in frustration and patience. You get focused fired in almost every circumstance when they realise you're the heals, most groups will rush straight through the frontline DPS and smash you.

It can get quite demoralizing, but I'm a masochist, so I'll lament the PvP state of play for a bit and then go straight back to it. Can't help myself and I love the healer role - it's literally all I play in ESO. :D

I've dumped the Shacklebreaker set for a Healer role - it's junk.

I'm currently trialling 5 piece Mark of the Pariah, 5 piece Transmutation and the Earthgore Monster set.

I know Earthgore got nerfed recently, but it's still decent for PvP with some nice on the spot burst healing.

I'm actually having a lot more success with this set atm. I'm still squishy (especially now I'm 100% light) but I noted that even when in all heavy, when I'm focused I'm squashed only a few seconds later anyway.

So... I'm just going for sustain atm with stats and shield protection. Seems to be working well enough. I stay in the background and peek heal / buff - it's good enough.

• Syiccal
    Syiccal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    With the reduction to dots, jabs becoming direct damage and more than likely going Into a burst meta I'm thinking wizards reposte (double barred) might not be bad option again
  • EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just be a statplar and youll be immune to gear changes.
  • Jabbs_Giggity
    Jabbs_Giggity
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    With the reduction to dots, jabs becoming direct damage and more than likely going Into a burst meta I'm thinking wizards reposte (double barred) might not be bad option again

Shadow Rend + Swift + Spinner is going to be better for melee burst next patch. Either DW or 2H front bar (or Fire Staff) and Resto Back Bar or Ice Staff (if running DW/2H). This would be my best guess for Magplar Melee burst next patch as DoT's will be dead based on current PTS notes. If Natch Potes change, we'll see.
  • Syiccal
    Syiccal
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Shadow Rend + Swift + Spinner is going to be better for melee burst next patch. Either DW or 2H front bar (or Fire Staff) and Resto Back Bar or Ice Staff (if running DW/2H). This would be my best guess for Magplar Melee burst next patch as DoT's will be dead based on current PTS notes. If Natch Potes change, we'll see.

I would bet onslought will see a nerf, as it's really OP at min to the point mag classes are using it for the 100% pen dor 12 seconds
  • Jabbs_Giggity
    Jabbs_Giggity
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I would bet onslought will see a nerf, as it's really OP at min to the point mag classes are using it for the 100% pen dor 12 seconds

2H on melee magplar isn't even just benefited by using Onslaught. You get 30% Stam Regen on kill, flat 6% damage increase and 10% damage increase to next skill after full heavy attack...That alone is a much better passive combo than Staves.
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

2H on melee magplar isn't even just benefited by using Onslaught. You get 30% Stam Regen on kill, flat 6% damage increase and 10% damage increase to next skill after full heavy attack...That alone is a much better passive combo than Staves.

Yep and having that stam is great as you will get CCed a lot when people see you healing.
  • EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's definately better than dw. But staffs definately have tons of advantages over 2h.
  • Jabbs_Giggity
    Jabbs_Giggity
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's definately better than dw. But staffs definately have tons of advantages over 2h.

Not if you're not using actual skills from Staff line...You don't get the free Magicka if you don't kill with a Destro skill, you don't get the penetration without a Destro skill, Flat 6% damage to direct damage with Fire Destro? Templars use both DD and AOE...Lightning Staff? Same as before. Only benefit that I see from staves over 2H is Ele Drain giving breach and magicka steal (which I've played with and without and it's not needed) and LA weaving for more damage and/or HA resource gain. That's the only two advantages of using Staves. If you're speaking specifically about ranged play only I could see your point. However, on a Melee Magplar you don't need a staff. You can get your ranged abilities from Sun Fire and Entropy and gap close with Toppling.
  • Akinos
    Akinos
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Not if you're not using actual skills from Staff line...You don't get the free Magicka if you don't kill with a Destro skill, you don't get the penetration without a Destro skill, Flat 6% damage to direct damage with Fire Destro? Templars use both DD and AOE...Lightning Staff? Same as before. Only benefit that I see from staves over 2H is Ele Drain giving breach and magicka steal (which I've played with and without and it's not needed) and LA weaving for more damage and/or HA resource gain. That's the only two advantages of using Staves. If you're speaking specifically about ranged play only I could see your point. However, on a Melee Magplar you don't need a staff. You can get your ranged abilities from Sun Fire and Entropy and gap close with Toppling.

Been saying this for years...but you probaly explained it better then i've been doing xD
    2H is BIS for melee magplar.
    PC NA | @AkinosPvP 1vX/Small Scaler, Raid Leader, Youtuber and Twitch.tv Streamer.MAGICKA MELEE IS LIFE!Magplar, MagDK, Magden, Magblade, Magsorc & Magcro PvP/Build videos & moretwitch.tv/akinospvp
  • grannas211
    grannas211
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been messing with 2h this patch because I originally wanted to try onslaught on magplar, but even now I dont use onslaught, i still like 2h. That stam regen is really nice.
  • Neoauspex
    Neoauspex
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't need breach (or any spell pen at all) if you're using 2 hand... until Onslaught gets nerfed at least.
  • EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Breach is the best skill in the game to increase templar dps and sustain. U can still run a destro and 2h though.

It gives you the increase in damage but 2h does that and healing better for sure.

The stam sustain is on kill ok on magplar, certainly doesn't hurt, but the the faster heavier than a staff is where the real situation is.

Ranged attack weaving is huge imo. Light attack toppling with a glyph proc is a much better way to start a combo than simply toppling, like 4k dmg better. It's very easy to create space and toppling an opponent with expedition and snare/cc immunity gives u time to do 1 jab.

Im not saying 2h is bad at all. Ive played it. But there are tons of instances vs skilled opponents where ranged light attacks are the difference in them feeling pressure and staying defensive where it wouldn't be possible using 2h.
  • Jabbs_Giggity
    Jabbs_Giggity
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Breach is the best skill in the game to increase templar dps and sustain. U can still run a destro and 2h though.

It gives you the increase in damage but 2h does that and healing better for sure.

The stam sustain is on kill ok on magplar, certainly doesn't hurt, but the the faster heavier than a staff is where the real situation is.

Ranged attack weaving is huge imo. Light attack toppling with a glyph proc is a much better way to start a combo than simply toppling, like 4k dmg better. It's very easy to create space and toppling an opponent with expedition and snare/cc immunity gives u time to do 1 jab.

Im not saying 2h is bad at all. Ive played it. But there are tons of instances vs skilled opponents where ranged light attacks are the difference in them feeling pressure and staying defensive where it wouldn't be possible using 2h.

Backbar Ice Staff.You can still get your Ele Drain + LA from range. 2H on Damage bar. Block with Magicka and save your stam for BF or DR
  • Sanguinor2
    Sanguinor2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Backbar Ice Staff.You can still get your Ele Drain + LA from range. 2H on Damage bar. Block with Magicka and save your stam for BF or DR

Do you find Blocking with your magicka pool to be effective tho? I never really liked it and just left out the Points in the first destro passive.
    Politeness is respecting others.
    Courage is doing what is fair.
    Modesty is speaking of oneself without vanity.
    Self control is keeping calm even when anger rises.
    Sincerity is expressing oneself without concealing ones thoughts.
    Honor is keeping ones word.
  • Akinos
    Akinos
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Blocking with magicka is a huge mistake, leaving the 2 points out of the first destro staff passive is the best choice imo.
    PC NA | @AkinosPvP 1vX/Small Scaler, Raid Leader, Youtuber and Twitch.tv Streamer.MAGICKA MELEE IS LIFE!Magplar, MagDK, Magden, Magblade, Magsorc & Magcro PvP/Build videos & moretwitch.tv/akinospvp
  • Sanguinor2
    Sanguinor2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Akinos wrote: »

Blocking with magicka is a huge mistake, leaving the 2 points out of the first destro staff passive is the best choice imo.

Yeah that was why I was asking, I Always leave them out (even if my raid lead in PvE hates me for it) since you dont loose any blockcost or Mitigation, since I Play only no cp with lowish Sustain builds I was wondering if other People have different opinions towards mag Blocking.
    Politeness is respecting others.
    Courage is doing what is fair.
    Modesty is speaking of oneself without vanity.
    Self control is keeping calm even when anger rises.
    Sincerity is expressing oneself without concealing ones thoughts.
    Honor is keeping ones word.