The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Templars PvP - Detailed Guide, Suggestions, Advice, etc. - Elsweyr

• Jabbs_Giggity
    Jabbs_Giggity
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sanguinor2 wrote: »
    Akinos wrote: »

Blocking with magicka is a huge mistake, leaving the 2 points out of the first destro staff passive is the best choice imo.

Yeah that was why I was asking, I Always leave them out (even if my raid lead in PvE hates me for it) since you dont loose any blockcost or Mitigation, since I Play only no cp with lowish Sustain builds I was wondering if other People have different opinions towards mag Blocking.

I love mag blocking on my Templar. It's not anywhere as noticeable as other classes. I play a Dark Elf Magplar running War Maiden and Swift. Full infused on jewelry Spell DMG with 34K mag in CP.

In no CP i swap War Maiden with Amberplasm. still achieve 30K mag and have ZERO sustain issues in no CP while magblocking (without slotting Ele Drain).

If you're having sustain issues as a Magplar, you're doing it wrong. Stamplar, however, is littered with sustain issues across the board.
  • Sanguinor2
    Sanguinor2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I love mag blocking on my Templar. It's not anywhere as noticeable as other classes. I play a Dark Elf Magplar running War Maiden and Swift. Full infused on jewelry Spell DMG with 34K mag in CP.

In no CP i swap War Maiden with Amberplasm. still achieve 30K mag and have ZERO sustain issues in no CP while magblocking (without slotting Ele Drain).

If you're having sustain issues as a Magplar, you're doing it wrong. Stamplar, however, is littered with sustain issues across the board.

Im fine sustainwise, I just dont think I would be if I were to block with mag.
    Politeness is respecting others.
    Courage is doing what is fair.
    Modesty is speaking of oneself without vanity.
    Self control is keeping calm even when anger rises.
    Sincerity is expressing oneself without concealing ones thoughts.
    Honor is keeping ones word.
  • Essavias
    Essavias
    ✭✭✭
    What seems to be a better set combo to run on magplar noCP at the moment? I have Shacklebreaker/BTB, and in process of collecting Swift. Monster = Bloodspawn. Don't think I'll part with BTB - it's just so good, but will probably replace Shackle with Swift. That gives me crapload of defense and sustain, but kinda worried that I'll suffer damage wise.

If that matters - I'm 2h/snb.
  • Akinos
    Akinos
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Blocking with magicka is a huge mistake, leaving the 2 points out of the first destro staff passive is the best choice imo.

Yeah that was why I was asking, I Always leave them out (even if my raid lead in PvE hates me for it) since you dont loose any blockcost or Mitigation, since I Play only no cp with lowish Sustain builds I was wondering if other People have different opinions towards mag Blocking.

Magicka blocking on a magplar with 30k max mag in no cp and not having any sustain issues on a dark elf? AND no ele drain? Got any video of this in action? Sorry but it kinda sounds like a huge exaggeration. Hard to believe unless it's seen.
    Edited by Akinos on September 27, 2019 2:29PM
    PC NA | @AkinosPvP 1vX/Small Scaler, Raid Leader, Youtuber and Twitch.tv Streamer.MAGICKA MELEE IS LIFE!Magplar, MagDK, Magden, Magblade, Magsorc & Magcro PvP/Build videos & moretwitch.tv/akinospvp
  • EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Backbar Ice Staff.You can still get your Ele Drain + LA from range. 2H on Damage bar. Block with Magicka and save your stam for BF or DR

Do you find Blocking with your magicka pool to be effective tho? I never really liked it and just left out the Points in the first destro passive.

I hated it, ive always left those points out too.
    EtTuBrutus wrote: »
    Syiccal wrote: »
    With the reduction to dots, jabs becoming direct damage and more than likely going Into a burst meta I'm thinking wizards reposte (double barred) might not be bad option again

Shadow Rend + Swift + Spinner is going to be better for melee burst next patch. Either DW or 2H front bar (or Fire Staff) and Resto Back Bar or Ice Staff (if running DW/2H). This would be my best guess for Magplar Melee burst next patch as DoT's will be dead based on current PTS notes. If Natch Potes change, we'll see.

I would bet onslought will see a nerf, as it's really OP at min to the point mag classes are using it for the 100% pen dor 12 seconds

2H on melee magplar isn't even just benefited by using Onslaught. You get 30% Stam Regen on kill, flat 6% damage increase and 10% damage increase to next skill after full heavy attack...That alone is a much better passive combo than Staves.

It's definately better than dw. But staffs definately have tons of advantages over 2h.

Not if you're not using actual skills from Staff line...You don't get the free Magicka if you don't kill with a Destro skill, you don't get the penetration without a Destro skill, Flat 6% damage to direct damage with Fire Destro? Templars use both DD and AOE...Lightning Staff? Same as before. Only benefit that I see from staves over 2H is Ele Drain giving breach and magicka steal (which I've played with and without and it's not needed) and LA weaving for more damage and/or HA resource gain. That's the only two advantages of using Staves. If you're speaking specifically about ranged play only I could see your point. However, on a Melee Magplar you don't need a staff. You can get your ranged abilities from Sun Fire and Entropy and gap close with Toppling.

Breach is the best skill in the game to increase templar dps and sustain. U can still run a destro and 2h though.

It gives you the increase in damage but 2h does that and healing better for sure.

The stam sustain is on kill ok on magplar, certainly doesn't hurt, but the the faster heavier than a staff is where the real situation is.

Ranged attack weaving is huge imo. Light attack toppling with a glyph proc is a much better way to start a combo than simply toppling, like 4k dmg better. It's very easy to create space and toppling an opponent with expedition and snare/cc immunity gives u time to do 1 jab.

Im not saying 2h is bad at all. Ive played it. But there are tons of instances vs skilled opponents where ranged light attacks are the difference in them feeling pressure and staying defensive where it wouldn't be possible using 2h.

Backbar Ice Staff.You can still get your Ele Drain + LA from range. 2H on Damage bar. Block with Magicka and save your stam for BF or DR

I currently have very stricked offensive and defensive bars. Running sharpened

Magicka blocking on a magplar with 30k max mag in no cp and not having any sustain issues on a dark elf? AND no ele drain? Got any video of this in action? Sorry but it kinda sounds like a huge exaggeration. Hard to believe unless it's seen.

Id love to see it to.
  • Jabbs_Giggity
    Jabbs_Giggity
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you find Blocking with your magicka pool to be effective tho? I never really liked it and just left out the Points in the first destro passive.

With the reduction to dots, jabs becoming direct damage and more than likely going Into a burst meta I'm thinking wizards reposte (double barred) might not be bad option again

Shadow Rend + Swift + Spinner is going to be better for melee burst next patch. Either DW or 2H front bar (or Fire Staff) and Resto Back Bar or Ice Staff (if running DW/2H). This would be my best guess for Magplar Melee burst next patch as DoT's will be dead based on current PTS notes. If Natch Potes change, we'll see.

I would bet onslought will see a nerf, as it's really OP at min to the point mag classes are using it for the 100% pen dor 12 seconds

2H on melee magplar isn't even just benefited by using Onslaught. You get 30% Stam Regen on kill, flat 6% damage increase and 10% damage increase to next skill after full heavy attack...That alone is a much better passive combo than Staves.

It's definately better than dw. But staffs definately have tons of advantages over 2h.

Not if you're not using actual skills from Staff line...You don't get the free Magicka if you don't kill with a Destro skill, you don't get the penetration without a Destro skill, Flat 6% damage to direct damage with Fire Destro? Templars use both DD and AOE...Lightning Staff? Same as before. Only benefit that I see from staves over 2H is Ele Drain giving breach and magicka steal (which I've played with and without and it's not needed) and LA weaving for more damage and/or HA resource gain. That's the only two advantages of using Staves. If you're speaking specifically about ranged play only I could see your point. However, on a Melee Magplar you don't need a staff. You can get your ranged abilities from Sun Fire and Entropy and gap close with Toppling.

Breach is the best skill in the game to increase templar dps and sustain. U can still run a destro and 2h though.

It gives you the increase in damage but 2h does that and healing better for sure.

The stam sustain is on kill ok on magplar, certainly doesn't hurt, but the the faster heavier than a staff is where the real situation is.

Ranged attack weaving is huge imo. Light attack toppling with a glyph proc is a much better way to start a combo than simply toppling, like 4k dmg better. It's very easy to create space and toppling an opponent with expedition and snare/cc immunity gives u time to do 1 jab.

Im not saying 2h is bad at all. Ive played it. But there are tons of instances vs skilled opponents where ranged light attacks are the difference in them feeling pressure and staying defensive where it wouldn't be possible using 2h.

Id love to see it to.

I run atro mundus and backbar is infused seducer I've staff with damage glyph.
    Fb is DW bc I dont have 2h leveled. But its sweeps, toppling, htd, barrage inner light (sometimes reflective), crescent.
    Backbar is RAT, rune, LD, ER, degen, Bats.
    I use tri pots, double dot poisons on DW and witch mothers
    2k mag recovery self buffed with pot + rune focus. That's more than plenty
    5l, 2h
    Grothdarr monster set.
  • EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Id love to see it to.

Fb is DW bc I dont have 2h leveled. But its sweeps, toppling, htd, barrage inner light (sometimes reflective), crescent.
    5l, 2h
    Grothdarr monster set.

You back barred a 2pc recovery set? Why? Your mag recovery stops when blocking. Atro +wm doesn't put u away 2k recovery in a dark elf in wm and swift.
  • Jabbs_Giggity
    Jabbs_Giggity
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Id love to see it to.

5l, 2h
    Grothdarr monster set.

You back barred a 2pc recovery set? Why? Your mag recovery stops when blocking. Atro +wm doesn't put u away 2k recovery in a dark elf in wm and swift.

Because I dont have a swift ice staff yet. And those stats are based on swift and amberplasm. I said i use both and switch them out. Warmaiden I'm at about 1600 recov.
  • VirtualElizabeth
    VirtualElizabeth
    ✭✭✭✭
    Okay...I feel stupid, what the heck is Magicka blocking? Is the psiijic skill line block?
    @ElizabethInTamriel
    NA/PC
    Eleanour Masterham - Breton Templar
    Elise Masterham - Breton Magicka Nightblade
    Elinora Valen - Dunmer MagDK
    Elsa Masterham - Breton Mag Warden
  • Jabbs_Giggity
    Jabbs_Giggity
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay...I feel stupid, what the heck is Magicka blocking? Is the psiijic skill line block?

Equipping an ice staff uses the first passive of destro line to change blocking from stamina to magicka. Ice staff is essentially a version of sword and board.
  • VirtualElizabeth
    VirtualElizabeth
    ✭✭✭✭

Equipping an ice staff uses the first passive of destro line to change blocking from stamina to magicka. Ice staff is essentially a version of sword and board.

Ah yes, I do that now currently, thank you for the quick answer! I have been a fan of the ice staff for years because of the block, much to the chagrin of my PVE friends!

Funny thing about me, I find I do a lot of the stuff mentioned in forums but had no idea there was a more descriptive term for it. Like years ago, I though animation cancelling was only tied to light attacks - come to learn with weapon swap and dodge roll I had been implementing animation cancelling from the beginning!
    Edited by VirtualElizabeth on September 27, 2019 4:48PM
    @ElizabethInTamriel
    NA/PC
  • VirtualElizabeth
    VirtualElizabeth
    ✭✭✭✭

I agree with this statement - I love Dark Elves so I decided to do the crazy thing and race change to Dark Elf on my Templar. OMG it was awful. I switched back to Breton almost immediately.
    @ElizabethInTamriel
    NA/PC
  • EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with this statement - I love Dark Elves so I decided to do the crazy thing and race change to Dark Elf on my Templar. OMG it was awful. I switched back to Breton almost immediately.

High elf or imperial OP
  • Sanguinor2
    Sanguinor2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

High elf or imperial OP

True, as useless as spell recharge is in PvE its really nice to have in PvP.
    Politeness is respecting others.
    Courage is doing what is fair.
    Modesty is speaking of oneself without vanity.
    Self control is keeping calm even when anger rises.
    Sincerity is expressing oneself without concealing ones thoughts.
    Honor is keeping ones word.
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I feel like I want to at least have to be conscious of sustaining, otherwise; I'm not pushing damage high enough and running too much recovery. Using that same pool throws another wrench into the works.
  • Jabbs_Giggity
    Jabbs_Giggity
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    technohic wrote: »

I feel like I want to at least have to be conscious of sustaining, otherwise; I'm not pushing damage high enough and running too much recovery. Using that same pool throws another wrench into the works.

I get what you're saying and it's not for everyone. Think of the same thing for stam toons though. You use your mag pool for utility (cleanse or RAT) but use stam for damage and mitigation. My damage isn't pushing as high as it could be, but I don't lose duels and I do fine open world. I mainly play solo so yes I do get outplayed because of resource cost every now and then, but I find I have no problems bursting people down majority of the time.
    If you play less conscience about all attributes, sure sustain will be an issue. Learn to HA more on back bar before going into melee range.
  • EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got some videos?
  • Rhaegar75
    Rhaegar75
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @EtTuBrutus usual question: what are you using for your Magplar at the moment? cheers buddy
  • EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rhaegar75 wrote: »
    @EtTuBrutus usual question: what are you using for your Magplar at the moment? cheers buddy

Bright throats, alfiq, skoria. All triglyphs, 3 triune, 2 spell damage and 1 recovery. Lady mundus. Sharpened front bar, powered snb back bar.

Got a pretty nasty small group support build too. But i only bust that out if its 4 or more and we're trying to really farm which is hardly ever lol. It has about 2500 stam regen every 6 seconds while blocking with out investing in awful sets.
    Edited by EtTuBrutus on September 28, 2019 2:16PM
  • Metemsycosis
    Metemsycosis
    ✭✭✭✭

Bright throats, alfiq, skoria. All triglyphs, 3 triune, 2 spell damage and 1 recovery. Lady mundus. Sharpened front bar, powered snb back bar.

Got a pretty nasty small group support build too. But i only bust that out if its 4 or more and we're trying to really farm which is hardly ever lol. It has about 2500 stam regen every 6 seconds while blocking with out investing in awful sets.

Curious on this latter support build.

Also whats the hardest your crescent is critting? someone recently clocked me with an 11k crescent with an 11k tail. Wondered if your crafty/btb build has that potential.
    Terethea Magdalena, Breton Nightblade
    A Dark-Adapted Eye, Imperial Necromancer

sanguinare vampiris

https://m.twitch.tv/amcrenshaw/profile
  • EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Curious on this latter support build.

Also whats the hardest your crescent is critting? someone recently clocked me with an 11k crescent with an 11k tail. Wondered if your crafty/btb build has that potential.

Ive hit some presumably unbuffed players over 11k for sure, I've seen some great numbers, especially considering it's 72 ultimate. You can drop the regen glyph and small tristats and still have enough hp and stam to do well. If you really wanna see big cresents try slimecraw with it. But a skoria cresent combo is more impactful imo.
  • VirtualElizabeth
    VirtualElizabeth
    ✭✭✭✭

High elf or imperial OP

Imperial for a Magplar?
    @ElizabethInTamriel
    NA/PC
  • EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

High elf or imperial OP

Imperial for a Magplar?

Spell recharge is only for the elite altmer, peasant
  • Rhaegar75
    Rhaegar75
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been tempted to generate an equivalent build for the stamina counterpart: Pirate + hulking draug. What do you think. A ton of stamina for rolling/blocking but paraphs lacking in the damage department.
    Edited by Rhaegar75 on September 29, 2019 9:37AM
  • EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been tempted to generate an equivalent build for the stamina counterpart: Pirate + hulking draug. What do you think. A ton of stamina for rolling/blocking but paraphs lacking in the damage department.

It won't be lacking in damage, I've run that build, it's great.
    Edited by EtTuBrutus on September 29, 2019 1:53PM
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Today was frustrating as hell. xD

I understand that people think Templars are OP right now but on the two little builds that I've been using I only feel competitive, not OP. Even if Templars were OP, I think it's evened out by getting focused in BG by everyone as soon as you pop your head up. And then so many players just turn and run, and I don't have the mobility to keep up with them. I spend the majority of the time chasing and being chased. It's not much fun. I guess only certain builds are OP.
  • BNOC
    BNOC
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I understand that people think Templars are OP right now but on the two little builds that I've been using I only feel competitive, not OP. Even if Templars were OP, I think it's evened out by getting focused in BG by everyone as soon as you pop your head up. And then so many players just turn and run, and I don't have the mobility to keep up with them. I spend the majority of the time chasing and being chased. It's not much fun. I guess only certain builds are OP.

That's because the screams come from people who have either been killed by a group of Turtleplars (That would have killed them anyway and still will next patch) or they've seen a bunch of rings everywhere they go and make the assumption that because there's temps everywhere, they're OP - Nothing new.

I do the same or less damage I was doing before, I die just as often as I did before and just as much as I will next patch, to both.

Templars are strong, but they're not unbeatable by any stretch.

On topic of magicka blocking, I run Ice Staff with the passives at ~1550 unbuffed recovery. Most of the time it's totally fine as you only need to block for split seconds at a time and I'm usually on the attack rather than defence. That being said, I have been caught out by it a few times through my own stupidity and force myself into playing catch up for the next 20s or so.

I'm Shackle, Btb, Skoria - 3 Triune, all SD and Apprentice with Nirn and Defending (front, back)
    Edited by BNOC on September 30, 2019 12:00PM
    vMSA - Magplar - Xbox EU - 15/11/16
    578,000 - 36 Minutes 58 Seconds (Top 2 World?)

vMSA - Magplar - Xbox NA
    569,000 - 40 minutes (350CP, Non optimised runs)
  • Reaper_00
    Reaper_00
    ✭✭✭✭

For chasing just slot toppling charge. It can even keep up with a streak spamming sorc. For being chased either mist form if you’re a vampire or race against time.
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reaper_00 wrote: »

For chasing just slot toppling charge. It can even keep up with a streak spamming sorc. For being chased either mist form if you’re a vampire or race against time.

I do slot toppling but people can turn on a dime and dip behind objects. The only way for me to keep up to them would be to use both RaT and wear some stamina glyphs in my jewelry. I just let them go (but then of course they start shooting me in the back LOL cowards).

On to another topic: I wanted to ask a question about Ritual of Retribution now that it's getting a damage nerf. Will there be any reason to slot it anymore. The primary uses I got out of it was that it decloaked Nightblades and that it helped Radiant Aura/Siphon Spirit return resources as it did damage.

Since it's getting a damage nerf, RoR needs to be buffed somewhere else. ZOS, make it a stronger HoT. Either that or have it remove one negative effect every two sends. The way poisons and bleeds can quickly be reapplied makes it extremely hard to combat for a class with no proactive defense or a good HoT.

This would be like a Christmas gift for me and I don't think it's a lot to ask.
  • BNOC
    BNOC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reaper_00 wrote: »

I do slot toppling but people can turn on a dime and dip behind objects. The only way for me to keep up to them would be to use both RaT and wear some stamina glyphs in my jewelry. I just let them go (but then of course they start shooting me in the back LOL cowards).

On to another topic: I wanted to ask a question about Ritual of Retribution now that it's getting a damage nerf. Will there be any reason to slot it anymore. The primary uses I got out of it was that it decloaked Nightblades and that it helped Radiant Aura/Siphon Spirit return resources as it did damage.

Since it's getting a damage nerf, RoR needs to be buffed somewhere else. ZOS, make it a stronger HoT. Either that or have it remove one negative effect every two sends. The way poisons and bleeds can quickly be reapplied makes it extremely hard to combat for a class with no proactive defense or a good HoT.

This would be like a Christmas gift for me and I don't think it's a lot to ask.

Keeping up with stam classes is hard, it's just sprint, dodge roll, sprint, dodge roll, turn, try dizzying swing into ult (failed?) then sprint, dodge roll, sprint, dodge roll. You have to watch their roll pattern, you'll notice almost everyone the plays like that will roll at the exact same time (as a pattern, not in sync) - If you hold your charge a second longer, you'll often get them coming out of a roll.

Either way, if people are playing like that, just move yourself into the most open space around and force them to come to you, don't chase people about. It's not even worth your time and at the end of the day, they all have to come to you if they want it.

As pertains to Ritual, I see you talking about struggling now and then, is there a reason other than the couple you've said that you've not been running Extended? Another 2 dots per cleanse is nice, especially with how easy it is to reapply poisons and many other dots.

Same as the above generalisation of stam characters, Nightblades can't kill you from a distance, so you're fine to just wait them out, if they want to play hide and seek, let them crack on with that zzz-fest. If they want to bang, be ready in your ring and they'll be there in no time, don't get baited out of your defence because they'll be much more effective if they spring on you then than when you're at home.
    vMSA - Magplar - Xbox EU - 15/11/16
    578,000 - 36 Minutes 58 Seconds (Top 2 World?)

vMSA - Magplar - Xbox NA
    569,000 - 40 minutes (350CP, Non optimised runs)