The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Templars PvP - Detailed Guide, Suggestions, Advice, etc. - Elsweyr

• Rhaegar75
    Rhaegar75
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    technohic wrote: »
    Rhaegar75 wrote: »
    BS, Brass med, Spriggan maul front, brp daggers back
    Front Dizzy, Exe, Potl, Rally, jabs, ons or db
    Back QC, rune, ER, repentance, vigor, temp guard
    Nord, Warrior, wep dmg glyphs infused

How are things in the ‘damage’ department? I fear I’d run out of stamina without bone pirate

You run in CP? Either way, faster kills with 2her gives bonus recover and repentance.

do you run the same or a similar build?
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

How are things in the ‘damage’ department? I fear I’d run out of stamina without bone pirate

You run in CP? Either way, faster kills with 2her gives bonus recover and repentance.

do you run the same or a similar build?

Yep pretty similar.
  • EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My stampy is in truth/ shackle/ troll king/ masters bow back bar.

Trap, jabs, potl, rally, execute,
    Extended, rune, vigor, shuffle, poison injection.
  • Rhaegar75
    Rhaegar75
    ✭✭✭✭✭

4.65k wep dmg front and 1.78k reg plus rune

how do you reach those numbers? I can't seem to get there
  • Aces-High-82
    Aces-High-82
    ✭✭✭
    Fully buffed stats eg Nirn, perfected daggers, conti buff, infused jewelry, wep dmg glyph, golded gear....
  • EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Those numbers are quite low for stamina with continuous up.
  • Aces-High-82
    Aces-High-82
    ✭✭✭
    Don't remember if that's with conti or self. Might check it in the builder.
  • Aces-High-82
    Aces-High-82
    ✭✭✭
    Can someone pls confirm puncturing strikes now being affacted by Master at Arms CP instead of Thaumaturge.
    No pts for me since on PS4.
  • grannas211
    grannas211
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can someone pls confirm puncturing strikes now being affacted by Master at Arms CP instead of Thaumaturge.

Someone tested in the PTS forums and it’s still being affected by Thaum instead of MAA.
  • Syiccal
    Syiccal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    grannas211 wrote: »

Someone tested in the PTS forums and it’s still being affected by Thaum instead of MAA.

So not really direct dmg then!
    Edited by Syiccal on September 17, 2019 7:23AM
  • EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    https://youtu.be/-xFrEk3TfkE

Loved that event
  • Syiccal
    Syiccal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How does medium armour sit on stamplar at min, as currently thinking of making one
  • BNOC
    BNOC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Syiccal wrote: »
    How does medium armour sit on stamplar at min, as currently thinking of making one

There's plenty of them running medium at Vuhkel Guard duel spot and the better ones are killing it to be fair - Go fight some and see what you think before you make one.

For Cyro, it's the same deal as a non mitigation built magplar, you just have to play smarter.
    Edited by BNOC on September 17, 2019 3:11PM
    vMSA - Magplar - Xbox EU - 15/11/16
    578,000 - 36 Minutes 58 Seconds (Top 2 World?)

vMSA - Magplar - Xbox NA
    569,000 - 40 minutes (350CP, Non optimised runs)
  • Jabbs_Giggity
    Jabbs_Giggity
    ✭✭✭✭✭

All Infused jewelry (says it at end of his paragraph) with WD Glyphs. Recovery is not obvious....with Nord and Warrior only thing I can think of to keep recov that high is Dubious with Repentence/2H recovery passive after kill is 30%...Don't forget about CP as well.

I personally would prefer something with flat % mitigation than resistances stacking - situational, but alot of noobs running D-Swing/Onslaught/Executioner spam.

Edit to clarify: I would personally run BP or Acrobat with Spriggans (if using BRP DW on back bar for Major Protection) and focus more into well-fitted/dodge roll bonuses. You can get huge damage increase without having to slot toppling for off balance by investing in CP and dodge roll. Other choices is Steadfast if you don't have BRP or want to slot DW Master's. There are other good sets to help with mitigation too. However, Infused WD jewely + Spriggans Nirn Maul is best way to go for damage right now. Tried 7th and it just doesn't perform well without a reliable source of major fracture (like DK has access to - which is why they can stack WD sets and sustain from Ults.
    Edited by Jabbs_Giggity on September 17, 2019 3:25PM
  • Aces-High-82
    Aces-High-82
    ✭✭✭
    Just like I wrote. I have 40k resis and minor plus major protection on demand.
  • Datolite
    Datolite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coming back after the summer off. I hear magplar is in a good place, is this true? Can anyone give a quick dirty rundown of some major changes in the past couple of patches that wouldn't require heavy reading?
  • Kadoin
    Kadoin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Datolite wrote: »
    Coming back after the summer off. I hear magplar is in a good place, is this true? Can anyone give a quick dirty rundown of some major changes in the past couple of patches that wouldn't require heavy reading?

Currently on the PTS even after changes its still not bad IMO. In fact, it seems to have escaped the nerfing better than my mag and stam DK hmmm...
  • Austacker
    Austacker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm trying to get into PvP in this game as a pure healer, but having real problems with sustain and damage reduction.

I've tried using multiple different sets so far - Transmutation, Impreg, Fortified Brass, Seducers, Trollking Monster set etc

I've tried using both full light, full heavy - 2 staffs, 1 staff / sword n board

I've tried using different skills to deflect damage and help with stuns like Timestop (far too slow IMHO), Piercing Javelin / Explosive Charge and the staple defences like Rune Focus/Living Dark/Ritual etc

I know I suck and I'm a noob, but I just can't for the life of me 'get it'.

No matter what setup I use, even in a 1v1 encounter it always goes the same way. Softening up - stun - burst - dead.

I was always under the impression that the Templar could be built to be basically indestructible in a 1v1 situation but I just cannot find a guide / practical example on how to build and play the spec.

Can anyone give me some practical advice in this regard?

I don't want to actually kill other players. I want to be able to heal my team members, provide the anchor in your take and hold Battlegrounds and frustrate the DPS style players not being able to kill me.

I need to understand gear - spec - skills to use because right now, I seriously just don't understand it and the whole situation is frustrating me to a point where I've almost given up trying.

Haaaalp!?!!???!!!
  • EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Austacker wrote: »
    I'm trying to get into PvP in this game as a pure healer, but having real problems with sustain and damage reduction.

I've tried using multiple different sets so far - Transmutation, Impreg, Fortified Brass, Seducers, Trollking Monster set etc

I've tried using both full light, full heavy - 2 staffs, 1 staff / sword n board

I've tried using different skills to deflect damage and help with stuns like Timestop (far too slow IMHO), Piercing Javelin / Explosive Charge and the staple defences like Rune Focus/Living Dark/Ritual etc

No matter what setup I use, even in a 1v1 encounter it always goes the same way. Softening up - stun - burst - dead.

I was always under the impression that the Templar could be built to be basically indestructible in a 1v1 situation but I just cannot find a guide / practical example on how to build and play the spec.

I don't want to actually kill other players. I want to be able to heal my team members, provide the anchor in your take and hold Battlegrounds and frustrate the DPS style players not being able to kill me.

I need to understand gear - spec - skills to use because right now, I seriously just don't understand it and the whole situation is frustrating me to a point where I've almost given up trying.

Haaaalp!?!!???!!!

Start by telling us what skills/ gear set up you're using. Also, blocking is key.
  • Syiccal
    Syiccal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doea anyone know if jabs proc ward of cyrodill
    Edit - it does.
    I've re rolled my magplar to stam, running
    Bone pirate, ward of cyrodill, masterbow and bloodspwan.
    Not massive weapon dmg numbers but relying on the debuffs to healing to kill.
    Any advice for stamplar would be appreciated it's been a fair few years since last played stam
    Edited by Syiccal on September 19, 2019 5:55PM
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edit - it does.
    Any advice for stamplar would be appreciated it's been a fair few years since last played stam

I've used it and it wont matter if jabs does or doesnt. Light attack weave is enough for the proc. But its really only 50% uptime and single target.
  • Syiccal
    Syiccal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edit - it does.

I've used it and it wont matter if jabs does or doesnt. Light attack weave is enough for the proc. But its really only 50% uptime and single target.

Single target? Doesnt it apply to all enemies hit by jabs in the area?
  • VirtualElizabeth
    VirtualElizabeth
    ✭✭✭✭
    EtTuBrutus wrote: »

Haaaalp!?!!???!!!

Start by telling us what skills/ gear set up you're using. Also, blocking is key.

@Austacker

First off, start saying to yourself "I don't suck, I am just a noob!" :)

This is just my personal opinion but I have found being a pure healer in pvp, especially in small groups can be almost create a liability situation for my team, and it's personally frustrating to boot - so I feel your pain here. I found when I changed my focus to include some damage dealing skills it become a better experience for myself and my teammates (ever heard the saying - "The best defense is a good offense").

I run destruction staff on my front bar and try to focus on damage dealing skills there - usually combo of class, weapon and various other lines like mages, and of course lately, the beloved soul magic line.

The back bar I switch between S&B, destruction (frost staff for the shield) and resto. S&B seems to help my survivability alot - or its all mental and makes me feel more POWERFUL! For skills, i do more defensive ones - rune, purify, race against time, Honor the dead or the other morph, sometimes shards and whatever I feel like trying that day!

For sets I do one damage set stacking spell damage which will help with your heals too or bright throats, stacking spell damage on the jewelry. My other is normally some sort of defensive/regen set. For the second I like running Swift, Transmute, shacklebreaker and some others I can't think of at the moment.

I will leave you with this - don't give up! If you are solo queing be selfish and build for DPS. If you are in a premade, go with the "Savior build" - heals but enough DPS to save yourself!
    Edited by VirtualElizabeth on September 19, 2019 9:22PM
    @ElizabethInAustin
    NA/PC
    Eleanour Masterham - Breton Templar
    Elise Masterham - Breton Magicka Nightblade
    Elinora Valen - Dunmer MagDK
    Elsa Masterham - Breton Mag Warden
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edit - it does.

You know; I'm not sure. But eays it can happen once every few seconds so I kind of took it that way.
  • Akinos
    Akinos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edit - it does.

No, ward only hits one target at a time.
    PC NA | @AkinosPvP 1vX/Small Scaler, Raid Leader, Youtuber and Twitch.tv Streamer.MAGICKA MELEE IS LIFE!Magplar, MagDK, Magden, Magblade, Magsorc & Magcro PvP/Build videos & moretwitch.tv/akinospvp
  • Hexquisite
    Hexquisite
    ✭✭✭✭

Haaaalp!?!!???!!!

Don't feel bad, Despite posts to the contrary it actually takes a fair amount of practice to heal or off heal, and stay alive under pressure, because even unorganzied groups figure out to go after anyone healing--though if you are hard enough to kill they will switch targets.

This is prob a hard patch to start healing pvp, as some of the core healing mechanics were changed, as well as the cost increased. Also some skills changed--like Onslaught which the tankier one runs, the more the effects of it "can" hurt. Also the Protective Trait Changed, ATM I am my groups support healer/DPS, I usually run with between 2 and 5, and I play CP 30 day. I have been a full healer, a full DPS and ran in groups of all sizes, including well organzied ball groups. I am often still a noob after 4 years+. :)

So not knowing what skills you use or where you play the most I will offer these insights/ideas of little things I use or have used, Also some things might work better for me because of my groups playstyles. In no paticular order.

1- No matter what campaign you play, heavy attack to get your resources back, with resto this also gives major mending which is 25 % to heals. Even if you are down just 5000 SP get that back as you can become under pressure harder.

2- HOTS--A lot of what we can do to support our groups is casting a HOT on them, I tried playing this patch without resto, and using S & B instead, but found that using the HOT from Radiating Regen just mitagated too much damage not to use. Yes it is a tedious to keep it up on the group, but, it also allows me to DPS more. And of course we have the HOT from our ER which I put down A LOT.

3-Awareness--Know when something is a bad idea, and don't be upset when you die doing it. I mean this patch you are not going to walk into the center of a zerg with a small group/solo no line of sight and kill them all "IF" they see you coming.
    (like last night half my group was tipsy and thought they were indestructable and I followed them to death even though I knew the outcome lol) Also see Fighting in Siege lol.

4- CP Campaigns - Because of the DOT META you would want to have around 56 into THicked Skinned.

5- Mobility--Make sure you have immovables--I use ones that also have speed/stam regen, as well as a couple of others. I use RAT instead of VAMP, and I also usually use the Steed Mundus. A lot of people still use Mist Form. You want to be able to get to a line of site position if getting pressured too hard...or just get away to put up a camp. A lot of good players are FAST-if you are always in the back you will get picked off. ( of course if you run in a huge group this doesn't matter as much)

6- Use one of the Barrier Ulitmates, one is a HOT the other also restores magic, also having it on your bar gives you more regen if you have the support passives.,.

7- Carry a couple of DOTs, Refecting Light/Vampire Bane/ Purifying Light isn't just damage, it also buffs your whole group with Minor Sorcery assumiing you have the passives.. Purifying Light also gives out a small heal, and can direct targeting.

8- Consider Temporal Guard Ult for your Defense Bar, the ult itself is broken but it gives you minor protection all the time when on that bar.

9- Consider Spell Shield Ult for Sword and Board Bar

10-Carry Toppling Charge-- taking your enemy out of action even for a second can allow you or your group a window of opportunity.

11- The PVP Templar healers I know that only heal and don't DPS at also use ORBS, SHARDS, SUpport line PURGE, and COmbat Prayer--some use Hasty Prayer, some still use healing Springs.

12- Use Tri Glyphs, and prob Tri Stat Food. I run with a lot of Stam, but I am also targeted a lot and need it to break free and roll dodge. Some people can get away with 13 K stam, I can't. If you have low health, you become every ganker's target.

13- Pop Living Dark if under attack by a few people--though good players know how to work around this now.

14- Always have your RUNE up, get an add on if you need to see it running out of time better.

15- Consider using Radient Aura which has magic steal and regens all stats.

One thing about this patch is that it has allowed for a ton of theory crafting on Magic Builds.
    Look at your strengths and weaknesses vs what you want to do in a group that day. Look at what proc sets do and set bonuses do, and what synergizes and go from there.

Currently When I am the Support healer I am running a really odd set up that people here on this forum would prob laugh at, but it allows me to stay alive and keep my team mates up most of the time, while still being able to DPS at close range. A couple years ago at my tankiest when I was main healer I wore Heavy Impreg with Transmutation, with the big Impreg pieces Reinforced-- I wouldn't wear this now because of Onslaught, and because I also think that this meta DPS has to be higher to kill them before they kill us. I have also worn as a support healer/DPS Cyrodil"s Light/ Trans / SPC with either Troll King or BloodSpawn or Skoria. Most players I know are still changing gear around for this patch.
    Edited by Hexquisite on September 20, 2019 3:53AM
    PC NA
    ~Ethereal Traders Union~
    ~Spicy Economics~
    ~Tropic Thunder~
    ~Us Ghosts~

• Syiccal
    Syiccal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I keep chopping and changing gear set ups, cant make my mind up what I wanna use
  • casparian
    casparian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I keep chopping and changing gear set ups, cant make my mind up what I wanna use
    That's part of the fun :p
    7-day PVP campaign regular 2016-2019, Flawless Conqueror. MagDK/stamplar/stamwarden/mageblade. Requiem, Legend, Knights of Daggerfall. Currently retired from the wars; waiting on performance improvements.
  • Syiccal
    Syiccal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    casparian wrote: »

What you using at the min? I'm on BTB, crafty and interchangeable monster sets, fancy something with a bit of speed, but harder to obtain on mag
  • casparian
    casparian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    casparian wrote: »

What you using at the min? I'm on BTB, crafty and interchangeable monster sets, fancy something with a bit of speed, but harder to obtain on mag

Nothing at the moment -- I am flirting with the idea of reinstalling but apparently 102GB is not enough disk space to install the game.

If I were back this patch, I would be stacking spell damage with a sustain set and layering HOTs. I've been wanting decent HOTs on magplar for years and it looks like we finally got some.
    7-day PVP campaign regular 2016-2019, Flawless Conqueror. MagDK/stamplar/stamwarden/mageblade. Requiem, Legend, Knights of Daggerfall. Currently retired from the wars; waiting on performance improvements.