Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

Magplar PvP

• TheDoomsdayMonster
    TheDoomsdayMonster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, once again, if the OP is worried about being Squishy, then my idea is very strong...

You'd be running 29k Spell/23k Physical Resist (with 100% maintenance free uptime) with Mighty Chudan x2 (and this is golden when you are attacked unaware)...

When you combine that with 50% uptime on Major Evasion and Elusive Mist, then it makes you pretty tanky and able to survive bad situations...

And that's while enjoying the benefits of 5 light...
    Edited by TheDoomsdayMonster on July 30, 2018 3:19PM
    Unyeilding Bias
    PSN TheLordofMurder
    PS4 NA
    Magicka Templar
    DC
    The Combat Physician: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKaqUVm_8JE&t=142s
  • Datolite
    Datolite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BNOC wrote: »
    I've been playing Light Sloads/Skoria/Lich today in no-cp BGs. Except the random 1-shots that I have no clue where come from - I'm not dying that fast. Tested it against a magDK, going from Heavy => Light increased my dmg by 9% and made me take 9% more damage.

I get you're trying to wait for Skoria procs but the same could have been achieved with Slimecraw - Without sacrificing defence. Skoria's unpredictability and target selection can be problematic - Slimecraw is direct and specific.

To OP:
    1. Run 5 heavy.
    2. Don't build too defensive or you'll turn into a healbot/never get good at Templar - build for more damage and die repeatedly until you just don't anymore - If you're offensive on a Templar, you win the fight. If you're sitting back bar holding block and casting heals, you're probably going to lose.
    3. Don't run spinners, there's too many shields in the game at the minute and you're limiting your potential too much.
    4. Do not run Total Dark - You'll get done in and cockblock yourself vs any competent player. (Subjective as you may find it beneficial against noobs - My general verdict is no)
    5. Do not drop whatever morph of Focus you use for any reason.
    6. Vamp is optional; the recovery and dmg reductions are nice and Mist may well be a pre-requisite for new magplars but if you can learn to play without it, you'll be stronger for it.
    7. Templar is kiting 101 - Try and group enemies - Play to your surroundings, if you see a tunnel/doorway/staircase or a crate, using LOS or pulling groups into those funnels is a massive advantage to you - Especially if alone.

This is all great advice. Running heavy IMO is optional, you can do Riposte in light and you'll quickly become much more aware of what is hitting you.

One thing I'll add to this list, magplar really uses certain Psijic Order skills to their full potential. If you decide to go without mist form as was suggested - and I would back that up - Accelerate is a great alternative that is also the only other magicka speed boost. Both morphs are great but I prefer the channel. Precognition is a perfect CC break/sustain helper if you time it right. With these two, you can sacrifice more of your stamina pool to build to your tastes. Also Time Freeze is like the security system of a templar's "house". If you're going defensive, throw down Time Freeze, Rune, Extended Ritual to cleanse dots, roots etc., and by the time you cast BoL the 4 second stun will have hit everyone in your house. It is also great for spamming in entrances to bring NBs out of stealth instantly.
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ashamray wrote: »
    Lexxypwns wrote: »
    Run heavy. It’s got perfect synergy with the whole magplar kit. The extra healing, health, and resists allows you to actually benefit from the sweeps heal and extends your offensive window.

For a simple change you could put Wizard’s on your back bar, Heavy Shackle on your body, and 2pc Willpower front bar.

I’m running 5 Overwhelming Surge 5 Sload 2 Skoria in heavy. Tri-stat food, 3x tri-glyphs and atro mundus. Speed+Lingering pots. Inferno Destro+SnB. Next patch I’ll sub Impreg for sload and run 5 sturdy including shield. With the sload nerf and improvements to Templar next patch and Radiant being useful again I don’t think as much damage is required.

Also, Time Freeze is disgusting when used in synergy with sweeps and Destro ult/devouring swarm.

Templar struggles getting off the defense and onto offense so Surge, Skoria, and Time freeze all have excellent benefits for Magplar since they allow you to pressure and buy time to get your damage out. You have the ability to force someone to be defensive while you’re on defense and also a delayed aoe CC that lets you go offensive before it goes off knowing it will relieve massive pressure.

Oh, CP matter a lot

I have no clue how that can be sustainable in typical fight where you're focused by 2 decent opponents. Are you running with bunch of friends who help when you OOM?

He plays in BGs where its much easier to sustain when you know you'll never expected to be focused by more than 4 people at once. Plus after you get 1-3 kills, you'll be dead and rez back up with full resources.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • xGhost91x
    xGhost91x
    I'm coming from playing a heavy armor stam DK for almost 3 years, so I definitely FEEL squishier lol. I'm getting better at Magplars (slowly!). There's lots of great advice in here that I'm definitely going to take advantage of. What would you guys recommend for skill setups?
  • Datolite
    Datolite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    xGhost91x wrote: »
    I'm coming from playing a heavy armor stam DK for almost 3 years, so I definitely FEEL squishier lol. I'm getting better at Magplars (slowly!). There's lots of great advice in here that I'm definitely going to take advantage of. What would you guys recommend for skill setups?

It really depends on your playstyle. If you're playing melee, your go-to combo will be Purifying Light, Charge, and Sweeps until it pops. Rinse and repeat. Throw a Meteor in there if they're not as squishy. I usually cast Structured Entropy before a fight for the Major Sorcery. If you are using Skoria, the more DoTs the better, so Reflective Light is also an option. They are buffing jesus beam (Radiant Oppression) so it's gonna look more and more appealing as an execute.

For back bar, You want Focus and Ritual always. BoL is a must. Some people swear by Repentance for sustain. If you're healing, Light's Champion for resto staff.

See my above post for Psijic skills.
  • WreckfulAbandon
    WreckfulAbandon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here we have another side of Templar - Nigtblades or Sorcs will outdamage you because of their fast strong nukes, and there always be situations when you are forced to block-heal no matter how good you're at damage dealing. Only real thing that punishes agressors is not your high but still clunky damage, it is Eclipse ability.

An important part of the dynamic is who sees who first and who attacks who first. If I can land a Vampires Bane before they can land anything on me, I'm starting the fight on the right foot. This is true of all fights but especially here as a Magicka Templar against more bursty classes. Magsorc is not an unfavorable matchup as I have well timed purges and ~32k spell resist. And the damage is there - plenty of bursty sorcs and NBs have failed to kill me before being erased by numerous DoTs + reflective light + skoria + Soul Assault/Radiant. I know Radiant sucks but it's more about layering on more damage. Pressure build =/= burst build. People can't just ignore the pressure that this build puts out 1v1 or they probably don't have the damage to kill you.
    PC NA

All my comments are regarding PvP
  • Mrsinister2
    Mrsinister2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ive been running heavy kags, plus spinners. One domi one shadowrend with sword and board and lightening staff. All my stats are really good but it's hard to drop skoria that burst is really helpful for a magplar.
  • xGhost91x
    xGhost91x
    Just a bit of theorycrafting, but would 2 Pirate Skeleton, 5 light Fortified Brass, 5 War Maiden work? I was thinking flame staff (do lightning staves boost Sweeps?) on front bar and sword and shield on back bar.
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lighting staff increases sweeps. I personally don’t like war maiden.
  • usmguy1234
    usmguy1234
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kags
    Trans
    Offensive/ defensive monster helm depending on what you want to do.
    Zaghigoth- Orc Stamplar
    Soul Razor- Altmer Magsorc
    Les Drago- Redguard Stamdk
    Eirius- Altmer Magdk
    Stormifeth- Altmer Magplar

Disclaimer: My comments are a little sarcasm mixed with truth. If you can't handle that don't respond to me.

• xGhost91x
    xGhost91x
    Ah man, I really wish I had Trans now. That would he interesting to try.
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lexxypwns wrote: »
    Run heavy. It’s got perfect synergy with the whole magplar kit. The extra healing, health, and resists allows you to actually benefit from the sweeps heal and extends your offensive window.

For a simple change you could put Wizard’s on your back bar, Heavy Shackle on your body, and 2pc Willpower front bar.

I’m running 5 Overwhelming Surge 5 Sload 2 Skoria in heavy. Tri-stat food, 3x tri-glyphs and atro mundus. Speed+Lingering pots. Inferno Destro+SnB. Next patch I’ll sub Impreg for sload and run 5 sturdy including shield. With the sload nerf and improvements to Templar next patch and Radiant being useful again I don’t think as much damage is required.

Also, Time Freeze is disgusting when used in synergy with sweeps and Destro ult/devouring swarm.

Templar struggles getting off the defense and onto offense so Surge, Skoria, and Time freeze all have excellent benefits for Magplar since they allow you to pressure and buy time to get your damage out. You have the ability to force someone to be defensive while you’re on defense and also a delayed aoe CC that lets you go offensive before it goes off knowing it will relieve massive pressure.

Oh, CP matter a lot

I have no clue how that can be sustainable in typical fight where you're focused by 2 decent opponents. Are you running with bunch of friends who help when you OOM?

7x tri-glyphs and Witchmothers. I’ve got 1.8k regen on an Argonian in heavy armor with ele drain. It’s super easy to sustain, it’s literally not a challenge at all. Without rune it’s an effective 2500+ regen. You get an absolute ton of free damage as well.
    Edited by Lexxypwns on July 31, 2018 3:04AM
  • xGhost91x
    xGhost91x
    @Lexxypwns what Champ Point distribution would you recommend?
  • BNOC
    BNOC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just a bit of theorycrafting, but would 2 Pirate Skeleton, 5 light Fortified Brass, 5 War Maiden work? I was thinking flame staff (do lightning staves boost Sweeps?) on front bar and sword and shield on back bar.

WM buffs magic damage so without a second damage set, I can't see you pulling enough burst.
    Also, the 5 set on Riposte is probably stronger than FB mathematically, though I'm not certain - But that would be before the 2-4 set bonuses from Riposte.

Lightning staves do boost sweeps.
    vMSA - Magplar - Xbox EU - 15/11/16
    578,000 - 36 Minutes 58 Seconds (Top 2 World?)

vMSA - Magplar - Xbox NA
    569,000 - 40 minutes (350CP, Non optimised runs)
  • Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

WM buffs magic damage so without a second damage set, I can't see you pulling enough burst.
    Also, the 5 set on Riposte is probably stronger than FB mathematically, though I'm not certain - But that would be before the 2-4 set bonuses from Riposte.

Lightning staves do boost sweeps.

Can add that War maiden is boosted/buffed by major sorcery. So you get 480 extra spell damage on your magicka damage abilities, assuming major sorcery is present.
    Edited by Qbiken on July 31, 2018 8:58AM
  • xGhost91x
    xGhost91x
    Hmm...so maybe 2 Pirate Skeleton, 5 Spinners, 5 Wizard's Riposte with a lightning staff on front bar and sword and shield on back bar?
  • Mrsinister2
    Mrsinister2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm...so maybe 2 Pirate Skeleton, 5 Spinners, 5 Wizard's Riposte with a lightning staff on front bar and sword and shield on back bar?

I ran that for a while it's ok I swapped out wizards for kags and just crutch on perma block. I like the damage from kags better then the mitigation from wizards but that's just me.
  • kaithuzar
    kaithuzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So IMO pirate skelly is only worth if templars can still cleanse the debuff; or was that a bug?

If running heavy these are good sets:
    Rattle cage
    Impreg
    Seducer
    Innate axiom

If running light:
    Spinners
    Seducer
    Innate axiom
    Impreg

What jewelry traits are you running?
    You can use swift for more speed
    You can use infused for increase in reduce cost, spell damage, or recovery

You could always try s&b on both bars & double bar breath of life.

If you want more damage try one bar with 2 swords or a great sword if you want to use forward momentum instead of becoming a vampire & using mist.

For monster sets you could use:
    Slimecraw - offense
    1 pirate & 1 chudan - defense

Don’t forget about tri-stat glyphs on armor.
    This could help you swap food or drink around.

You could use sharpened or/both lover mundus for spell penetration if not using spinner.

Lots of choices, try a few different things.
    I prefer light but see what you come up with.

At least 2 willpower is definitely worth it if you can’t do 3.
    Member of:
    Fantasia - osh kosh b-josh
    Just Chill - Crown's house
    GoldCloaks - Durruthy test server penga
    Small Meme Guild - Mano's house

Former member of:
    Legend - Siffer fan boy club
    TKO (tamriel knight's order) - free bks
    Deviance - Leonard's senche tiger
    Purple - hamNchz is my hero
    Eight Divines - myrlifax stop playing final fantasy
    WKB (we kill bosses) - turd where you go?
    Arcance Council - Klytz Kommander
    World Boss - Mike & Chewy gone EP
    M12 (majestic twelve) - cult of the loli zerg
  • Mrsinister2
    Mrsinister2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pirate Skelton is still good on a Templar even without being able to purge the defile. Templars overheal so much the minor defile really isn't an issue.
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rattle cage is awful
  • Synozeer
    Synozeer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm running 5 light Shacklebreaker/Wizard's Riposte/Skoria (lightning destro/1h shield) currently, but I tend to rotate sets to try out new builds.

I suggest one defensive set and then damage/sustain (if running 5 heavy a defensive set is optional). I used to run heavy armor but light gives you a lot more damage via the spell crit and penetration. You don't want to go too defensive or you'll end up not being able to kill anyone unless you're running in big groups/zergs, and in that case you're basically playing a healer.

I play an in-your-face magplar so Toppling Charge is always on my bar, and Mistform for both offensive/defense. Mistform is also one of the best weapons against Sorcs' Runecage/Meteor - just mist whenever Meteor is cast on you and you negate most of the damage and avoid the CC.

Pirate Skeleton is a great pick for a defensive monster set - just be sure to wear the Crown or Forebear Disdasha so you don't get bugged by the transformations (the Skeleton polymorph does not prevent it).
    Watch my PvP Videos on YouTube

Azoi - Nightblade - Daggerfall Covenant - NA Server - 1st DC NA Grand Overlord
    Hzarn - Templar - Daggerfall Covenant - NA Server - Grand Overlord
    ...and many more.
  • Jimmy_The_Fixer
    Jimmy_The_Fixer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm seeing a lot of talk about minimum regen, just keep in mind that you can maintain viability with very low mana regen. Ele drain is really strong, especially if you're keeping DoTs up, landing a heavy attack is basically guaranteed with a lightning staff, argonian passive, constitution passive, channeled focus with good uptime.

If you play smart you can play with way less mana regen than you thought was possible, especially if you are smart with block and purge to negate the need for so many breaths. Buffs, dots and debuffs tend to be less expensive that your spammable healing/damage spells, so maintaining good buff uptime will have the side benefit of helping sustain.
  • Wing
    Wing
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was thinking something like heavy kags and light/jewelry amberplasm (I tend to run at least 2 well fitted) and swift jewelry.

mobility tends to be one of the biggest killers in pvp so I always try to address it, especially on an inherently slow class like templar.
    ESO player since beta.
    full time subscriber.
    PC NA
    ( ^_^ )

You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods -Xenogears
    DK one trick
  • xGhost91x
    xGhost91x
    So just for future reference, what trait should I run on my jewelry? Swift looks interesting, but Infused would be good too.
  • maxjapank
    maxjapank
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    [*] Run 5 heavy.
    [*] Do not run Total Dark - You'll get done in and cockblock yourself vs any competent player. (Subjective as you may find it beneficial against noobs - My general verdict is no)

Heavy is not necessary, and you are missing out on valuable light armor passives. But you need some sort of dmg mitigation set like Wizards Riposte, Pariah, etc. You can also use Pirates monster for further dmg mitigation. It’s really a player’s choice, but once I made the change from Heavy armor and sword and board, I doubt I’ll ever go back.

As for Total Dark, I use it all the time. And every time someone says you can’t use it against a competent player, I just wonder why. Because I have used it against every known player imaginable. Total Dark is more of a reactive spell and works best on your defensive bar in my opinion. When your opponent begins their attack, you throw this on them, and suddenly they’ve dmg themselves 2-3 times, and you were healed 2-3 times for an insane amount, often more than whatever dmg they attempted to do to you. And this is when you go offensive on them.

But I find that having Toppling Charge on your offensive bar is necessary, too. Because you can’t rely on Total Dark alone as a cc. Against better players, they will wait for you to use Total Dark, break free, and now you cannot cc them at all. So you must switch it up between the two ccs. And it really helps to use Toppling Charge immediately after Total Dark as you can stun them before they can break free from Total Dark.

It just takes some practice, but Total Dark is one of our most powerful spells in my experience.

Notes: some other uses of Total Dark is using it on NPCs and pets. Those are free heals that you get. And since they can’t break free, you get free heals the entire duration.
  • brandonv516
    brandonv516
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    maxjapank wrote: »
    [*] Run 5 heavy.
    [*] Do not run Total Dark - You'll get done in and cockblock yourself vs any competent player. (Subjective as you may find it beneficial against noobs - My general verdict is no)

Heavy is not necessary, and you are missing out on valuable light armor passives. But you need some sort of dmg mitigation set like Wizards Riposte, Pariah, etc. You can also use Pirates monster for further dmg mitigation. It’s really a player’s choice, but once I made the change from Heavy armor and sword and board, I doubt I’ll ever go back.

As for Total Dark, I use it all the time. And every time someone says you can’t use it against a competent player, I just wonder why. Because I have used it against every known player imaginable. Total Dark is more of a reactive spell and works best on your defensive bar in my opinion. When your opponent begins their attack, you throw this on them, and suddenly they’ve dmg themselves 2-3 times, and you were healed 2-3 times for an insane amount, often more than whatever dmg they attempted to do to you. And this is when you go offensive on them.

But I find that having Toppling Charge on your offensive bar is necessary, too. Because you can’t rely on Total Dark alone as a cc. Against better players, they will wait for you to use Total Dark, break free, and now you cannot cc them at all. So you must switch it up between the two ccs. And it really helps to use Toppling Charge immediately after Total Dark as you can stun them before they can break free from Total Dark.

It just takes some practice, but Total Dark is one of our most powerful spells in my experience.

Notes: some other uses of Total Dark is using it on NPCs and pets. Those are free heals that you get. And since they can’t break free, you get free heals the entire duration.

Agreed with going light over heavy.

Playing around with:

2 troll king
    5 shackle
    5 wizards
    1 vMA resto

2h/resto - 5 light armor/2 heavy

Wizards procs front bar
    FM so no need for Mist
    Shackle on body pieces
    vMA for regen on back bar

Clockwork citrus food:
    puts health in BGs at about 23k, magicka at 27k, magicka regen at 2100 with potion, health regen at 800 with potion (2300 with troll king).
  • Synozeer
    Synozeer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    +1 on Total Dark. It's usually one of my top damaging and healing sources overall against all players good and bad.
    maxjapank wrote: »
    [*] Run 5 heavy.

Watch my PvP Videos on YouTube

Azoi - Nightblade - Daggerfall Covenant - NA Server - 1st DC NA Grand Overlord
    Hzarn - Templar - Daggerfall Covenant - NA Server - Grand Overlord
    ...and many more.
  • SugaComa
    SugaComa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Checkmath wrote: »
    SugaComa wrote: »
    Chudan, soulshine, warmaiden or innate axiom
    Enjoy

you cant suggest such a build to a new magplar player....

Why not ?

Surely with a great build only thing holding you back is skill and he can improve that with practice
  • SugaComa
    SugaComa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Builds I have had success with on my Templar

Chudan, inate axiom (L), wizards Rip (jew, weap)
    Chudan, transmutation (L), wizards Rip, warmaiden, julianos, vicious death (jew, weap)

Slimescraw or skoria, soulshine or elf's bane (H) warmaiden, julianos, mother's sorrow (jew, weap)

Fun but too squishy to be viable in real game play but nice for pve

Illambris, treasure hunter, julianos (jew, weap)
  • Skinzz
    Skinzz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it just me or is the puncturing sweeps animations bugged? I've noticed my characters arms flailing around and getting stuck sometimes when weaving light attacks with sweeps... mostly happens when I'm trying to take a resource.
    Anybody got a group? LFG, anybody? Hello?