The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

[Class Rep] Templar Feedback Thread

• WuffyCerulei
    WuffyCerulei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with Norfas, Jesus beam is fine. Other skills need love, like puncturing sweeps.
    For the love of Kyne, buff sorc. PC NACP 2100+Star-Sïnger - Khajiit Magicka Sorc - EP Grand Overlord - Flawless Conqueror vMA/vBRP/vDSA no death/vHel Ra HM/vAA HM/vSO HM/vMoL HM/vHoF HM/vAS +2/vCR+3/vSS HMs/vKA HMs/vVH/vRG Oax HM/vDSR
  • Syiccal
    Syiccal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Puncturing sweeps, I think needs to be single target which I believe is most ppls opinion, the splash dmg is so small it's not worth having any way but the nature of having it creates an issue of the skill being an aoe and being reduced by evasion etc
    Edited by Syiccal on July 26, 2019 8:25AM
  • RebornRequiem
    RebornRequiem
    ✭✭✭
    Syiccal wrote: »
    Puncturing sweeps, I think needs to be single target which I believe is most ppls opinion, the splash dmg is so small it's not worth having any way but the nature of having it creates an issue of the skill being an aoe and being reduced by evasion etc

I dont think making jabs single target is a good idea. It is one of the most unique skills in the game, since its not an auto target skills and requires aiming ove rthe whole channel time. making it singke target, would take away this feature and uniqueness, since it would make more sense then to be like flurry. Therefore the aoe part needs to stay on jabs, but maybe its intercation with major evasion could be changed. Also the aoe part helps quite a lot with the passive healing of jabs on magplars, even if the healing amount from the additional targets isnt that big, it adds up in the end when jabbing more and more enemies.
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jabs having an AOE component is very nice in PVE, especially newbie PVE when a mob of mudcrabs is scary and you don't have a heal yet. Perhaps the base skill should have cleave damage, then the morphed skills be single target?

Magplar seems to be originally designed for AOE pressure, but with the upcoming nerf to barrage (which was finally a good skill) and the superiority of pretty much anything other than templar dps skills for end game PVE, the intended direction of magplar is unclear.

This isn't to say magplar is in a bad place -- it isn't -- but if you can do more damage with a destro staff and psijic you are a discount sorc that doesn't have to double-bar a flying chicken for a heal.
  • Destruent
    Destruent
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    NBrookus wrote: »
    Jabs having an AOE component is very nice in PVE, especially newbie PVE when a mob of mudcrabs is scary and you don't have a heal yet. Perhaps the base skill should have cleave damage, then the morphed skills be single target?

Magplar seems to be originally designed for AOE pressure, but with the upcoming nerf to barrage (which was finally a good skill) and the superiority of pretty much anything other than templar dps skills for end game PVE, the intended direction of magplar is unclear.

This isn't to say magplar is in a bad place -- it isn't -- but if you can do more damage with a destro staff and psijic you are a discount sorc that doesn't have to double-bar a flying chicken for a heal.

Strongest DoTs for templar are still spearshards and solar barrage...they have pretty strong secondary effects.
    Noobplar
  • No_Division
    No_Division
    ✭✭✭
    Nefas wrote: »
    UppGRAYxDD wrote: »
    #BringBackBlindingLight2019

That’d be hilarious.

As for feedback, I’ve seen the same points made from many different groups of people particularly about Stamplars in PvE and Magplars in PvP so will be sure to forward the pain points.

One thing from the recent discussions in this thread I personally disagree with is that Radiant Oppression needs a buff. Imo it’s in a good place right now for both PvE and PvP (especially PvE) from what I’ve seen and experienced after the multiple adjustments made to it leading up to Elsweyr but again that’s just my opinion.

thanks for commenting! been a hot minute since the reps commented so its good to have that back!

I agree I think jesus beam is in a good place. Only thing needed is to maybe check in on the shield bug issue some templars noted (where its not applying the percentage execute properly.) but I have yet to see a video showing the dmg.
  • EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    2 pain points: @Nefas

1. The gd game performance.
    2. The gd lack of urgency about game performance.
  • Nefas
    Nefas
    Class Representative
    EtTuBrutus wrote: »

I'm sure that's everyone's pain points including mine and not just exclusive to Templars :)
  • EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm sure that's everyone's pain points including mine and not just exclusive to Templars :)

Yea, i just lost a totally winnable 1v3 bc of performance. Not remotely close to any zergs. Hence my last 5 posts about performance in various threads... i guess i don't need to bring the salt in this one.
  • Nefas
    Nefas
    Class Representative
    thanks for commenting! been a hot minute since the reps commented so its good to have that back!

I agree I think jesus beam is in a good place. Only thing needed is to maybe check in on the shield bug issue some templars noted (where its not applying the percentage execute properly.) but I have yet to see a video showing the dmg.

More or less, it seems from the feedback I've been getting from multiple communities have been largely positive of Magplar in both PvE and PvP, but on the other hand there's more pain points about Stamplar in both PvE/PvP though some have been addressed in the past such as the rune focus morph.

Some other things people have brought up to me regarding specifically Stamplar if anyone else wants to chip in:

- Jabs being AOE in relation to the Evasion change. It being akin to Curse's primary target counting as an AOE, or reverse slice's target counting as an aoe or any other splash mechanic.

- Jabs is a DPS loss in PvE, further adding to class identity issue.

- POTL not stacking/critting, having little use for multiple Stamplars in PvE and not being so great in PvP.

- Questionable passives/morphs or rather, restrictive/'weak passives, in Dawn's Wrath & Restoring Light for Stamplar; Radiant Glory may be a good candidate or an interesting thing for a stam morph in this context.

- Empowering Sweep change not being so great for PvP Stamplars.

- Certain animations (such as Jabs) not working well with certain weapons such as Two Hander.

Let me know if you guys have anything to add to this list and feel free to @ me!
  • Delparis
    Delparis
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That’d be hilarious.

As for feedback, I’ve seen the same points made from many different groups of people particularly about Stamplars in PvE and Magplars in PvP so will be sure to forward the pain points.

One thing from the recent discussions in this thread I personally disagree with is that Radiant Oppression needs a buff. Imo it’s in a good place right now for both PvE and PvP (especially PvE) from what I’ve seen and experienced after the multiple adjustments made to it leading up to Elsweyr but again that’s just my opinion.

@Nefas Oh hi sir (glad to see a templar REP) :smile:

Radiant Oppression isn't doing enough dmg when % of remaining health is still high, it's doig less dmg than sweeps when health is above 25%.

Also Radiant Oppression isn't working as intended when enemy has a shield up.
    For example:
    • a sorc with 20k health drop to 10% health (2k health)
    • the sorc pop 2 shields to get 10K shields.
    • Radiant oppression isn't doing the % excecute relative to the 10% health (2k) but considering the enemy health is 2k + 10k shield so 12k health
    • since 12k health is 60% of max health the % excecute modifier isn't working

Radiant oppression should meltdown a sorc shield when he's below 20%
    Edited by Delparis on July 26, 2019 8:56PM
  • No_Division
    No_Division
    ✭✭✭

More or less, it seems from the feedback I've been getting from multiple communities have been largely positive of Magplar in both PvE and PvP, but on the other hand there's more pain points about Stamplar in both PvE/PvP though some have been addressed in the past such as the rune focus morph.

Some other things people have brought up to me regarding specifically Stamplar if anyone else wants to chip in:

- Jabs being AOE in relation to the Evasion change. It being akin to Curse's primary target counting as an AOE, or reverse slice's target counting as an aoe or any other splash mechanic.

- POTL not stacking/critting, having little use for multiple Stamplars in PvE and not being so great in PvP.

- Questionable passives/morphs or rather, restrictive/'weak passives, in Dawn's Wrath & Restoring Light for Stamplar; Radiant Glory may be a good candidate or an interesting thing for a stam morph in this context.

- Certain animations (such as Jabs) not working well with certain weapons such as Two Hander.

Let me know if you guys have anything to add to this list and feel free to @ me!

That is the gist of it. And that the skill audit resulted in redundancies that were kinda annoying to see or not see:
    - multiple cc effects with niche applications
    - multiple AOEs of varying degrees of output.
    - two burst heals, one more expensive than the other.
    - proactive shield that have terrible protection values but now have proactive heal that does what blazing/radiant shield are supposed to do (or did do back before they nerfed them).
    - restoring aura has same debuff as ele drain but AOE nature makes it more redundant for use.
    - 2 defensive ultimates
    - 30% snare from eclipse, thats overrided by another 30% snare off ritual, that's overrided by the higher 40% snare off reflective light which is overrided by last hit of jabs.

But I agree that the PTS shows teh best iteration of templar in a long time, since 1.6.

• EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Delparis wrote: »

That’d be hilarious.

@Nefas Oh hi sir (glad to see a templar REP) :smile:

Radiant Oppression isn't doing enough dmg when % of remaining health is still high, it's doig less dmg than sweeps when health is above 25%.

Also Radiant Oppression isn't working as intended when enemy has a shield up.
    For example:
    • a sorc with 20k health drop to 10% health (2k health)
    • the sorc pop 2 shields to get 10K shields.
    • Radiant oppression isn't doing the % excecute relative to the 10% health (2k) but considering the enemy health is 2k + 10k shield so 12k health
    • since 12k health is 60% of max health the % excecute modifier isn't working

Radiant oppression should meltdown a sorc shield when he's below 20%

I have not witnessed this ever and i watch footage every day, can u share a clip?
    Edited by EtTuBrutus on July 26, 2019 9:49PM
  • EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why I'd extended ritual getting another coat increase @Nefas it's like they don't want us to use our most defining defensive skill. Now stampys are literally sol.
  • RebornRequiem
    RebornRequiem
    ✭✭✭
    Why I'd extended ritual getting another coat increase @Nefas it's like they don't want us to use our most defining defensive skill. Now stampys are literally sol.

Because the buffed its healing. Also the dynamic scaling does stamplars a good favor in that way. Cost increase is minor, stamplars should not really feel that cost increase.

About those pain points:

Jabs being mitigated by major evasion at the moment is bearable, since medium armor users are rather rare and otherwise they would get shred by jabs. The problem of major evasion is, when its used in conjunction with tanky builds (which is surely possible even in medium). The biggest fear tough was the major evasion on momentum, which would have enabled evasion even on tankier heavy armor setups. Luckily this is gone again.

Backlash (power of the light and puryfying light) is big talk mostly abouts the buggy nature of not going off in lots of cases in raids. Also backlash not being able to crit is kind of a bummer, since the current pve meta still is based on high crit ratings. Not stacking naturally is also just a sad story. But in pvp that skill is by for not bad at all, its the biggest burst you can get off besides an ultimate. The skill alone is great for pvp the way it is and is to great in the situation of several people focussing on the person with backlash on (there was lots of discussion about only the casters damage should be copied and so on...).

Empowering sweep originally was the tanky morph and belonged to magplars. On the other hand stamplars had a strong burst ultimate back then with crescent. Then they changed the scaling, so that magplars had finally an opportinity for burst meanwhile stamplars got a damage and mitigation opportunity, which was not bad either. But now they took that away and gave it that boring empower on it and took the tankyness away. A desired tool was taken away for something nobody wished for.
  • No_Division
    No_Division
    ✭✭✭
    https://youtu.be/dE1PYFlg52Q
    golden age of ESO pvp right here. 30k max stats, 75-100 ping at 6pm (which is like 300+ ping during this year's primetime lol).

Bring us here, and we will love you reps lol.
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Because the buffed its healing. Also the dynamic scaling does stamplars a good favor in that way. Cost increase is minor, stamplars should not really feel that cost increase.

About those pain points:

Jabs being mitigated by major evasion at the moment is bearable, since medium armor users are rather rare and otherwise they would get shred by jabs. The problem of major evasion is, when its used in conjunction with tanky builds (which is surely possible even in medium). The biggest fear tough was the major evasion on momentum, which would have enabled evasion even on tankier heavy armor setups. Luckily this is gone again.

Backlash (power of the light and puryfying light) is big talk mostly abouts the buggy nature of not going off in lots of cases in raids. Also backlash not being able to crit is kind of a bummer, since the current pve meta still is based on high crit ratings. Not stacking naturally is also just a sad story. But in pvp that skill is by for not bad at all, its the biggest burst you can get off besides an ultimate. The skill alone is great for pvp the way it is and is to great in the situation of several people focussing on the person with backlash on (there was lots of discussion about only the casters damage should be copied and so on...).

Empowering sweep originally was the tanky morph and belonged to magplars. On the other hand stamplars had a strong burst ultimate back then with crescent. Then they changed the scaling, so that magplars had finally an opportinity for burst meanwhile stamplars got a damage and mitigation opportunity, which was not bad either. But now they took that away and gave it that boring empower on it and took the tankyness away. A desired tool was taken away for something nobody wished for.

I agree on your first point here. One problem we have as stamplar is just minor fracture, and no defile, and no major brutality. We have get the crit boost on jabs, but without power or penetration we rely on outside sources. Goes along with point 3 of losing that practical defense ultimate leaving us to rely on other sources for that as well. Then no escapes or tankiness. Stamplar is ok, but you have to work a lot harder with other tools it seems.

In POTL the problem is it's a great xv1 tool and not so great 1vx. And in xv1, as you mentioned, other stamplars make it feel wasted. Although it doesnt feel like a huge problem right now as there seems to not be a lot of stamplars these days.

You can tie that in with RD as being an Xv1 skill in templar in general. It's not bad where it is but I personally wouldn't care to use it and channel it 1vx. It's just sluggish to me and I've just never liked it
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    https://youtu.be/dE1PYFlg52Q
    golden age of ESO pvp right here. 30k max stats, 75-100 ping at 6pm (which is like 300+ ping during this year's primetime lol).

Bring us here, and we will love you reps lol.

god that was so boring, no idea why anyone likes pvp in this game.
  • Syiccal
    Syiccal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone know if cressnt sweep is buffed by lighting staff or flame staff
  • Nefas
    Nefas
    Class Representative
    About those pain points:

Thanks for further clarifying the issues, really appreciate it!
  • Anti_Virus
    Anti_Virus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would it be asking to much to get explosive charge morph of toppling charge to be a stam morph?
    Power Wealth And Influence.
  • Nefas
    Nefas
    Class Representative
    Anti_Virus wrote: »
    Would it be asking to much to get explosive charge morph of toppling charge to be a stam morph?

I think the Toppling Charge skill in general hasn't been that great for the Templar toolkit for PvP in my opinion. Would be cool to see it get a rework in general.
  • RebornRequiem
    RebornRequiem
    ✭✭✭

I think the Toppling Charge skill in general hasn't been that great for the Templar toolkit for PvP in my opinion. Would be cool to see it get a rework in general.

Currrently toppling charge is a super skill for pvp, i wouldnt want it to get changed, if we wouldnt get a better cc ability (unstable core still is in a testing phase and probably will be changed sooner or later). but with the faster movement speed while gap closing, no minimal distance the skill is very reliable and strong.
  • No_Division
    No_Division
    ✭✭✭

It's great when you have proactive defense to justify getting smacked around trying to cc lol.

Old blazing shield was great for it because you used to cast then dive in. When you got to your location, both used too burst at the same time. Gave a 9k shield at 30k health which was decent but was balanced back when you couldn't stack so much stats like today.

If eclipse/sun shield can be adjusted, you can adjust bol to only heal allies and Templar will be fine. Still needs little massaging of you catch my drift.
  • Anti_Virus
    Anti_Virus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also can anyone confirm if 7th legion procs from rune focus?
    Power Wealth And Influence.
  • EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No no no, it just became good. Reliable off balance is a 10% ddmg boost and a great sustain tool.
  • Nefas
    Nefas
    Class Representative

No no no, it just became good. Reliable off balance is a 10% ddmg boost and a great sustain tool.

Oh sorry guys, I was thinking of pre-Elsweyr toppling charge. I keep missing some stuff in patch notes or can't remember sometimes as I've been trying to mentally track everything, also forgot that they buffed the Reviving Barrier for next patch tonight -_-
    Edited by Nefas on July 27, 2019 4:52AM
  • Vajrak
    Vajrak
    ✭✭✭

Oh sorry guys, I was thinking of pre-Elsweyr toppling charge. I keep missing some stuff in patch notes or can't remember sometimes as I've been trying to mentally track everything, also forgot that they buffed the Reviving Barrier for next patch tonight -_-

Only human, but it's good to double check sometimes.

I really hope they don't change sweep/jab to single target, it really does function well as is, if anything raise the AoE damage slightly (5-7%).

Still want healing ritual to have a revert to a lower cost and channel time, or if it stays at it's current cost, give it back the old functionality of one large burst and 3s after a secondary burst for half value --- at least then the high cost would be justified.

Balanced Warrior needs to just be changed entirely, flip it to a %damage dealt/damage taken instead of it's current spell resistance/weapon damage --- 2/3/4% reduced damage taken, 4, 6, 8% increased damage dealt.

Restoring Light does need a bit of a change on one of the passives to emphasize that it is the tank/utility tree -- Breath of Life is actually in a healthy place finally, Healing Ritual as noted above, and the cost increase on extended/retribution is negligible, though many I've discussed with would like to see something done with Extended to make it more appealing as a Tank buff/morph while Retribution is the general utility skill.

Light Weaver is where it is wonky.
    Increases the duration of Restoring Aura by 20%.
    Healing Ritual grants 2 Ultimate to allies under 60% Health.
    Channeling Rite of Passage grants 16500 Physical and Spell Resistance.

Restoring Aura 20% --- change to include both morphs
    -Repentance also grants a small HoT (500/1000 every 2s) to allies in the area (for same duration as Restoring Aura would last otherwise)
    -Radiant Aura restores increases the recovery 2/4% of the caster while the effect is active
    Healing Ritual grants 150/300 recovery to allies in the radius
    Channeling Rite of Passage redirects 40/50% damage allies receive to the caster

This change would give all variants of Templar more utility in the related skills to bring to the party.
  • GallantGuardian
    GallantGuardian
    ✭✭✭✭
    Vajrak wrote: »

Only human, but it's good to double check sometimes.

I really hope they don't change sweep/jab to single target, it really does function well as is, if anything raise the AoE damage slightly (5-7%).

Still want healing ritual to have a revert to a lower cost and channel time, or if it stays at it's current cost, give it back the old functionality of one large burst and 3s after a secondary burst for half value --- at least then the high cost would be justified.

Balanced Warrior needs to just be changed entirely, flip it to a %damage dealt/damage taken instead of it's current spell resistance/weapon damage --- 2/3/4% reduced damage taken, 4, 6, 8% increased damage dealt.

Restoring Light does need a bit of a change on one of the passives to emphasize that it is the tank/utility tree -- Breath of Life is actually in a healthy place finally, Healing Ritual as noted above, and the cost increase on extended/retribution is negligible, though many I've discussed with would like to see something done with Extended to make it more appealing as a Tank buff/morph while Retribution is the general utility skill.

Light Weaver is where it is wonky.
    Increases the duration of Restoring Aura by 20%.
    Healing Ritual grants 2 Ultimate to allies under 60% Health.
    Channeling Rite of Passage grants 16500 Physical and Spell Resistance.

Restoring Aura 20% --- change to include both morphs
    -Repentance also grants a small HoT (500/1000 every 2s) to allies in the area (for same duration as Restoring Aura would last otherwise)
    -Radiant Aura restores increases the recovery 2/4% of the caster while the effect is active
    Healing Ritual grants 150/300 recovery to allies in the radius
    Channeling Rite of Passage redirects 40/50% damage allies receive to the caster

This change would give all variants of Templar more utility in the related skills to bring to the party.

A lot of good stuff here for tanks .... although I’d like to see one of our heals turn into a health based heal for tanks this is great ...

Also I’d like to see living feel be a point blank immobilize rather then when someone is hitting you .. keep the aspect as long as you bubble is around you you get healed when you take damage but make the immobilize point blank
  • Delparis
    Delparis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Puncturing strikes should get its direct dmg increased about 30% and the aoe dmg reduced by 20%.
    The snare and major savagery should be removed and swaped with something like this:
    • Biting jabs: ignore 2000 physical resistance
    • Puncturing sweep: ignore 2000 magickal resistance

the skill is called puncture and should thus ignore resistance

@Nefas
    Edited by Delparis on July 29, 2019 12:05PM