The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

[Class Rep] Templar Feedback Thread

• EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm all for it, don't get me wrong. With the trouble the skill has with landing in pvp it could use something. I just don't think there's much u can do without nerfing another aspect of the skill. I mean, it does a lot imo and it's one of the most unique skills in the game.
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    EtTuBrutus wrote: »
    You're right i missed that. But 1192 dmg to 1 target (more than twice the aoe benchmark) that no other aoe in the game has the capability of doing.

this is relevant to the topic of aoe. if you are going to compare single target, compare single target. also fact is, single target if all 4 hits land, sweep/jabs will do more damage then surprise attack with the same stats.

you do realize that the base damage is the aoe part and the "single target" is simply "the closest target", which gets an additional 160% damage, multiplied off the aoe base damage, look at an old tooltip to get an idea-
    Biting Jabs: Cost: 2509 Stamina.
    Launch a relentless assault, striking enemies in front of you four times with your Aedric spear and dealing [274 / 278 / 281 / 285] Physical Damage with each strike. The nearest enemy takes 140% additional damage each strike, and their Movement Speed is reduced by 70% for 2 seconds on the final hit. Also grants you Major Savagery, increasing your Weapon Critical rating by 2191 for 8 seconds

I would love a buff to sweeps, but do you really think they're going to give it a single target component and an aoe component that's equivalent to a spell without single target capabilities? What about the fact that it heals? It's a single target, aoe, heal, all in 1. There's no reason it should do the same aoe dmg as blazing spear imo.

it would be easy to bring sweeps up to the aoe standard that zos has laid out, as i have said, the easiest way to make the skill relevant in AOE is to raise the base damage, the AOE part, and lower the closest target percentage amp. for example, make the AOE part do 35% more damage that it does right now but only give the closest target 90% more damage, this would bring the aoe part inline with other spammable AOEs in the game while keeping the closest target damage the same as it is now, at least going by the numbers, at least going by the numbers @Cinbri has in their post. this would not imbalance anything and keep the single target damage the around the same.

It's also cheaper than blazing.

blazing spear is range. that is what makes it more expensive.

So u think a skill that could hit an aoe as hard as others, is cheaper, has an increased single target component, heals the caster and has a 70% snare is balanced??

Thats broken.

Sweeps 2952
    Spear 3240
    Liquid lightning 3520
    Twisting path 3510
    Sap essence 3240
    Winters revenge 3510

Sweeps is meant to be a single target skill with a aoe perk. It just needs a reliable way to hit.

You are comparing a AOE spammables to AOE dots. Stop that. Compare to drain power/impulse/whirlwind.

Silver shards is a single target skill with an AOE "perk", Sweeps is clearly an AOE skill that has a single target "perk". .

Also compare if you are going to compare AOE dots, compare the time those skills last.
    Edited by Lightspeedflashb14_ESO on May 12, 2019 1:36AM
  • EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're right i missed that. But 1192 dmg to 1 target (more than twice the aoe benchmark) that no other aoe in the game has the capability of doing.

this is relevant to the topic of aoe. if you are going to compare single target, compare single target. also fact is, single target if all 4 hits land, sweep/jabs will do more damage then surprise attack with the same stats.

you do realize that the base damage is the aoe part and the "single target" is simply "the closest target", which gets an additional 160% damage, multiplied off the aoe base damage, look at an old tooltip to get an idea-
    Launch a relentless assault, striking enemies in front of you four times with your Aedric spear and dealing [274 / 278 / 281 / 285] Physical Damage with each strike. The nearest enemy takes 140% additional damage each strike, and their Movement Speed is reduced by 70% for 2 seconds on the final hit. Also grants you Major Savagery, increasing your Weapon Critical rating by 2191 for 8 seconds

I would love a buff to sweeps, but do you really think they're going to give it a single target component and an aoe component that's equivalent to a spell without single target capabilities? What about the fact that it heals? It's a single target, aoe, heal, all in 1. There's no reason it should do the same aoe dmg as blazing spear imo.

it would be easy to bring sweeps up to the aoe standard that zos has laid out, as i have said, the easiest way to make the skill relevant in AOE is to raise the base damage, the AOE part, and lower the closest target percentage amp. for example, make the AOE part do 35% more damage that it does right now but only give the closest target 90% more damage, this would bring the aoe part inline with other spammable AOEs in the game while keeping the closest target damage the same as it is now, at least going by the numbers, at least going by the numbers @Cinbri has in their post. this would not imbalance anything and keep the single target damage the around the same.

So u think a skill that could hit an aoe as hard as others, is cheaper, has an increased single target component, heals the caster and has a 70% snare is balanced??

Thats broken.

Sweeps 2952
    Spear 3240
    Liquid lightning 3520
    Twisting path 3510
    Sap essence 3240
    Winters revenge 3510

Sweeps is meant to be a single target skill with a aoe perk. It just needs a reliable way to hit.

You are comparing a AOE spammables to AOE dots. Stop that. Compare to drain power/impulse/whirlwind.

Silver shards is a single target skill with an AOE "perk", Sweeps is clearly an AOE skill that has a single target "perk". .

Also compare if you are going to compare AOE dots, compare the time those skills last.

Im comparing aoe costs, some dots, some instant, some both as you should see sap essence there. All magicka and class skills and you can see a big difference in cost.

My point is sweeps isn't meant to be an aoe and it's justified by its cost. It's meant to be our class dps single target spammable, the aoe is secondary. Buffing the aoe would be imbalanced as the skill does more than other spammable aoe damage like impulse, blazing spear or sap essence.

It's my opinion, the skill is amazing minus it's reliability. Jabs maybe could use a hand. But sweeps can carry morons in vma it's that good of a spell.
  • EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please, by all means though, get it buffed.
  • Destruent
    Destruent
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Thats broken.

Sweeps 2952
    Spear 3240
    Liquid lightning 3520
    Twisting path 3510
    Sap essence 3240
    Winters revenge 3510

While making it more reliably will help in pvp, the skill is still outparsed by elemental weapon (a ranged skill from a generic guild availyble for everyone) and therefore NEEDS a DPS-increase to be viable again.
    Changing it to a single-target skill + aoe-splash (like force-pulse) would be best, bc you could stick to fire-staves in pve for increased LA-damage.
    Noobplar
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Im comparing aoe costs, some dots, some instant, some both as you should see sap essence there. All magicka and class skills and you can see a big difference in cost.

yes i see sap, which costs more becuase it is much much bigger, that 8 meter radius in an AOE is a whipping 201 meters covered but sweeps/jabs aoe in front of you is 8x6 or 48 meters covered . less then a quarter of the size. sap has major sorcery and heals you too.
    My point is sweeps isn't meant to be an aoe and it's justified by its cost. It's meant to be our class dps single target spammable, the aoe is secondary. Buffing the aoe would be imbalanced as the skill does more than other spammable aoe damage like impulse, blazing spear or sap essence.

i just don't see the skill like that, we do have solar flare for single target. i have always seen it has an aoe with a single target application, like the tooltip says, which clearly states that it is meant to be aoe first.

blazing spear cost more because of the range and size of the AOE, which again is 8 meter radius or 201 meters covered, and the dot after, which is why people use it, not for the upfront damage but the aoe doe. impulse can be cast at range and can proc status effects.

you keep saying "imbalance" i just don't see how making the aoe matter with sweep/jabs would do that and i dont agree with your reasoning.
  • Destruent
    Destruent
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

yes i see sap, which costs more becuase it is much much bigger, that 8 meter radius in an AOE is a whipping 201 meters covered but sweeps/jabs aoe in front of you is 8x6 or 48 meters covered . less then a quarter of the size. sap has major sorcery and heals you too.

i just don't see the skill like that, we do have solar flare for single target. i have always seen it has an aoe with a single target application, like the tooltip says, which clearly states that it is meant to be aoe first.

blazing spear cost more because of the range and size of the AOE, which again is 8 meter radius or 201 meters covered, and the dot after, which is why people use it, not for the upfront damage but the aoe doe. impulse can be cast at range and can proc status effects.

you keep saying "imbalance" i just don't see how making the aoe matter with sweep/jabs would do that and i dont agree with your reasoning.

tbh dark flare is treated as aoe-debuff with ST-damage by ZOS, so i wouldn't treat it as ST-spammable...bc for that purpose it just sucks even more than sweeps.
    Noobplar
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Destruent wrote: »

tbh dark flare is treated as aoe-debuff with ST-damage by ZOS, so i wouldn't treat it as ST-spammable...bc for that purpose it just sucks even more than sweeps.

okay, that is great now what about the rest of my post? and i foresaw that someone would post something about this when i typed that. soo thank you for proving me right.
    Edited by Lightspeedflashb14_ESO on May 12, 2019 11:02AM
  • Destruent
    Destruent
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

okay, that is great now what about the rest of my post? and i foresaw that someone would post something about this when i typed that. soo thank you for proving me right.

your welcome ^^

main problem is still: templars have 2 ST-skills (or atleast 2 skills which could fill this role), yet they are both outclassed by a skill everyone can use.
    I don't know how many people use dark flare for the debuff, but i guess it's ok if it stays as a debuff-skill bc in pve you mainly want the other morph as dot and LA-buff.
    IF sweeps should be the AoE-Go-To-spammable for templars it should do the same damage to all targets. atm you are better off spamming shards. It's more dps and you can safely stay at range if needed.
    So what should it be? ST --> buff the ST-part, AoE --> buff the AoE-part
    Noobplar
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

your welcome ^^

main problem is still: templars have 2 ST-skills (or atleast 2 skills which could fill this role), yet they are both outclassed by a skill everyone can use.
    I don't know how many people use dark flare for the debuff, but i guess it's ok if it stays as a debuff-skill bc in pve you mainly want the other morph as dot and LA-buff.
    IF sweeps should be the AoE-Go-To-spammable for templars it should do the same damage to all targets. atm you are better off spamming shards. It's more dps and you can safely stay at range if needed.

Are you really better off spamming shards? Shards into sweeps will give you more damage.

I totally get the elemental weapon problem, it outclasses a lot of spammables. But for people that can't weave very good, like me, sweeps does more damage. You could also use Sunfire as a spammable, at least till the upcoming patch.
    Edited by Lightspeedflashb14_ESO on May 12, 2019 12:05PM
  • DokThor90
    DokThor90
    ✭✭✭
  • Destruent
    Destruent
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

your welcome ^^

Are you really better off spamming shards? Shards into sweeps will give you more damage.

I totally get the elemental weapon problem, it outclasses a lot of spammables. But for people that can't weave very good, like me, sweeps does more damage. You could also use Sunfire as a spammable, at least till the upcoming patch.

It depends on the number of targets iirc.
    Although we have different opinions what those skills should be, we agree that something needs to be changed and ZOS needs a plan what to do with them. That's kinda the main problem imo ^^
    Noobplar
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We should test jabs come live before suggesting changes. Only thing they need to do is fix gcd issues already bought up.

With topping-swift-steed you shouldn't have issues landing jabs. The problem isn't that, it's that Templar doesn't have a good defense to go full DMG, especially since major mending was removed followed by crit DMG healing and finally minor vitality.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

your welcome ^^

It depends on the number of targets iirc.
    Although we have different opinions what those skills should be, we agree that something needs to be changed and ZOS needs a plan what to do with them. That's kinda the main problem imo ^^

That we do and we can go from there.
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Made long post for a minute there but the gist was forgetting food feels worse on stamplar than all my classes because passives we have stuck. Proactive defense suck and only getting worse next update with empowering sweeps straight nerfed.
  • Mr_Nobody
    Mr_Nobody
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thats broken.

Sweeps 2952
    Spear 3240
    Liquid lightning 3520
    Twisting path 3510
    Sap essence 3240
    Winters revenge 3510

all that awesomeness of AOE perk to be mitigated by 3 different CPs, 2 different Skills and 3 sets.

noice.
    ~ @Niekas ~

• mmtaniac
    mmtaniac
    ✭✭✭✭
    What will happen if templar will get on his in class charge possibility to charge to teammates this will work like some kind of escape mechanics.
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mmtaniac wrote: »
    What will happen if templar will get on his in class charge possibility to charge to teammates this will work like some kind of escape mechanics.

Only if you Zerg
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mmtaniac wrote: »

Wouldn't help me any lately. If anything, I think my group would like to get pulled to me as on already across the map lol.

Actually laughed yesterday as someone chained me into their zerg and I noticed there buddy was low on health trying to retreat. I killed them after being pulled then still ran away.
  • GallantGuardian
    GallantGuardian
    ✭✭✭✭
    Boy am I glad that made that current Templar change ... I was going crazy that I could click on an ability that I couldn’t use cause there were no corpses and cost me 0 resources clicking on it cause it wasn’t able to be used ...

Solid change dev team ... really made a huge difference in my class...

No need for an pointblank aoe immobilize or s health based heal... you fixed this and that’s all that matters
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can we change Solar Barrage to grant a second effect that's actually useful for magplars? Something like minor protection for self or major defile to enemies instead of empower?
  • Elsterchen
    Elsterchen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly, I haven't had time to look at this in-detail, but on first glimpse I see necro getting minimum 2 max 4 boni on each skill while templar is maxed at 2 (one of which is neglegtible).

Am I missing something important ?
  • Mitaka211
    Mitaka211
    ✭✭✭✭
    Elsterchen wrote: »
    Honestly, I haven't had time to look at this in-detail, but on first glimpse I see necro getting minimum 2 max 4 boni on each skill while templar is maxed at 2 (one of which is neglegtible).

Am I missing something important ?

uhm necromancer=more monies for ZOS , that is pretty important

All jokes aside, is it just me or are templars, esp stamplars really rare to see in bgs lately.
  • Anti_Virus
    Anti_Virus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You either die as a Templar , or you live long enough to see yourself become a necromancer. :trollface:

Lol
    Power Wealth And Influence.
  • UppGRAYxDD
    UppGRAYxDD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @whoeverlistens @allofZoS @thenumbskullsincharge ,

37% nerf to dark flare damage is absolutely ludicrous if the determining factor is " well you can cast is faster by 1/11th"...
    Who ever thought that this explanation and reasoning was sufficient enough to drop the mega nerf hammer, THEY NEED SOME SENSE SLAPPED IN THEM.

I understand nerfs that lead to balance, but this one is just stupid and plainly insulting to every person in this thread or who have TRIED TO HELP YOU ZOS FIGURE OUT HOW TO FIX THINGS.

I generally try to be a positive person and refrain from griping on here, but where did you come up with the idea that dark flare needed a nerf? It wasn't from the forums, It wasn't from ingame PvP complaints( hardly see any dark flares in Cyrodil ever, maybe once in 6-8hrs of play), and I know that it wasn't from the PvE peeps (NO ONE USES DARK FLARE IN PVE COMPETIVELY).

So, WHERE DID THIS START? WHY? MAKES ZERO SENSE...

Dont feed me this BS "oh you can cast it faster". If this was the intended train of thought, then nerf it by 1/11th!!!

Absolutely disgusted with the direction and overall action by the devs and team at ZoS.

816da533638aee63cfbd315ea24cccbd.jpg

Edited to add a cute sad cat so @ZOS_GinaBruno will maybe put a bug in someones ear...
    Edited by UppGRAYxDD on May 18, 2019 8:25PM
    "Stendarr's mercy be upon you, for the vigil has none to spare."
  • Stibbons
    Stibbons
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nobody literally use dark flare in pve. In pvp you see it used once in 10 hours in pvp. After nerfs you will maybe see someone use in month. No idea where they came up to make it even more worse?!
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stibbons wrote: »
    Nobody literally use dark flare in pve. In pvp you see it used once in 10 hours in pvp. After nerfs you will maybe see someone use in month. No idea where they came up to make it even more worse?!

Arbitrary ability scores for what they do without considering if its practical.
  • UppGRAYxDD
    UppGRAYxDD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    technohic wrote: »

right, its akin to Common Core math....in theory it might work, but in practice...
    "Stendarr's mercy be upon you, for the vigil has none to spare."
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    UppGRAYxDD wrote: »

right, its akin to Common Core math....in theory it might work, but in practice...

They nerfed it cause @Mr_Nobody and @Synozeer ganked them hard with it lol.
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Minno wrote: »
    UppGRAYxDD wrote: »

They nerfed it cause @Mr_Nobody and @Synozeer ganked them hard with it lol.

Basically they only want NBs ganking then?