The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

[Class Rep] Templar Feedback Thread

• dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Swimguy wrote: »
    templar feels like it was made for magic and not stamina. like half the passives rarely/barely benefit me.

my only class stun is the opposite of what stamplars need and is really only used to knock people off ledges or push them into lava.

the whole AoE ground buff thing just sounds dumb to me but thats me

The aoe ground buff thing has always sounded dumb because it is dumb.
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
  • UppGRAYxDD
    UppGRAYxDD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    #BringBackBlindingLight
    "Stendarr's mercy be upon you, for the vigil has none to spare."
  • ak_pvp
    ak_pvp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Mobility:

No house, DK (mud hut) and warden (frosty tree house) fill that niche fine, well, the house itself is a terrible concept, but a slower and steadier class. Light is the fastest thing in the world, much faster than trees and earth.

Major expedition on some common attack. It is needed due to lack of CCs to hold in place, and jabs being as iffy as is.

Defense:

The other class along with DK with struggling class defenses. Healing, despite concerns is still good. But the main ability has been over nerfed.

Purge. Way too costly for too little effects, like wings, it can be considered too strong in a 1v1, but loses effectiveness dramatically when you have 20 or so effects on you permanently refreshing. It should be a percentage based removal. 50% of effects, less OP in 1v1, better in outnumbered.

Sun shield: Needs to return to old damage, over nerfed with damage reductions, sustainability, and then plague/GP nerfs. Add 15% evasion, or even better, an ability that can stack with evasion that inflicts miss chance on anyone who attacks you within 6s on the other morph. Make the sun hurt to look at. Make up for the removal of the admittedly OP flashes.

Other and comments:

Honestly, if they change this stuff, it'll be a lot smoother as a templar. Of course the abilities don't all synergise perfectly, javelin for instance, but a templar can put out insane damage which is overlooked. Its just like DKs (my main, so a lot of comparisons I know) it sacrifices a lot to get it, more than a warden or NB.

Stam sustain could use a buff, whilst sustain on stam isn't too taxing in general, bone pirate+dubious and lower costs, tying it to repentance is still dodgy, its like a tease, you can have sustain... if you kill someone... and someone else doesn't get it first.
    MagDK main. PC/EU @AK-ESO
    Best houseknight EU.
  • Soris
    Soris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    UppGRAYxDD wrote: »
    #BringBackBlindingLight
    #BringBackBlazingShield
    Welkynd [Templar/AD/EU]
  • akredon_ESO
    akredon_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    1. Jabs needs something. I dont know why but i feel like if the server is lagging I dont land a hit at all. The damage isnt terrible. But i feel like if i am fighting someone with a shield. That shield isnt going anywhere anytime soon. I think other classes are able to perform better because most of there damage is instant damage. we lose out if our skill misses in someway shape or form. A NB is always going to hit with Suprise attack because they dont have to worry about character movement mechanics. ( i am not accounting for dodges just quick movements in and out of range) We do say goes for most classes. Thus causes us to lose stamina for that ability we just used.

2. more sustain/defenses for Stamina builds
  • Darkmage1337
    Darkmage1337
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's another idea:

If Templar was designed to be "the house" / stand-your-ground class archetype, then the Rune Focus ability rune should apply Major Fracture & Major Breach for 8 seconds on enemies when they step into/onto the rune on the ground, in addition to giving the Templar Major Ward & Major Resolve as it already does.

Rune Focus has nothing compelling about it in comparison to the Major Ward & Major Resolve buffs of other classes, which all last 3 times longer in duration / up-time, AND Warden's version is AOE and grants the buff to all nearby allies, not just yourself. Friendly/grouped players should also be given the Major Ward & Resolve buffs by standing on a Templar's rune.

Rune Focus (and its morphs) need to be made more compelling and more useful in comparison to Wardens' Frost Cloak / Ice Fortress, Sorcerers' Hurricane / Boundless Storm, Dragonknights' Volatile / Hardened Armor, and Nightblades' Shadow Barrier. Theses 4 classes and their respective abilities each have 3 times longer durations and, most importantly, no hindrance to player mobility.
    Edited by Darkmage1337 on June 1, 2018 2:18AM
    ESO Platform/Region: PC/NA. ESO ID: @Darkmage1337
    GM of Absolute Virtue. Co-GM of Absolute Vice. 8-time Former Emperor, out of 13 characters. 3 Templars, 3 Sorcerers, 2 Nightblades, 2 Dragonknights, 1 Warden. 1 Necromancer, and 1 Arcanist. The Ebonheart Pact: The Dark-Mage (Former Emperor), The Undying Nightshade, The Moonlit-Knight, The Killionaire (Former Emperor), Swims-Among-Slaughterfish (Former Emperor), The Undead Mage, and The Dark-Warlock. The Aldmeri Dominion: The Dawn-Bringer (Former Empress), The Ironwood Kid (Former Emperor), and The Storm-Sword. The Daggerfall Covenant: The Storm-Shield (Former Empress), The Savage-Beast, and The Burning-Crusader CP: 1,800.
  • JKith
    JKith
    ✭✭✭
    1: Blazing spear bug where it doesn’t cast at all unless you cast another ability first is the biggest obstacle for me.

2: would be nice to get a boost to Vampire Bane, as its consistently the lowest dps skill I use. As a pure single target skill I think it should do more damage. Either boost it or make every other cast do more damage so that it’s more balanced between burst and long sustain dps.
  • Pink_Violinz
    Pink_Violinz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The passives have been nerfed into the group over and over. They no longer have a stun, and the one they did have wasn't great to begin with. They also have some of the worst ultimates in the game.

Templar is a victim of nerf after nerf after nerf, all because some schmuck in Cyrodiil made himself into a stupid strong tank. They are in desperate need of some of these reverted. The biggest one I can think of right now is the nerf to repentance. Probably the most bizarre, unnecessary nerf I've seen in this game. It wasn't being abused, nor was it overpowered. Because of that one change, groups cannot run more than one stamplar due to the resource battle they'll be in with each other. The other is the removal of any stun. Again, why? It wasn't causing issue, nor was it being abused. How do you abuse a cc that you have to aim?
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Update passives.

Update ultimates.
  • jl10899
    jl10899
    Soul Shriven
    I constantly feel like I double cast shards because of trying to speed to my next dot damage ability is it a bug or visual on my part. Second is the sustain on my magic Templar is terrible even while being a vampire and a glyph for sustain. Thanks for reading!!!!
  • Neoauspex
    Neoauspex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @THEDKEXPERIENCE you're gonna love building your defense around shields this next patch mate. Happy Sloadsday next week for console.
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    1. Restoring aura and its morphs are either outmatched by skills outside the class, mainly eledrain but I would also say siphon spirit is better or simply makes it so you can't even count on it if there is 2 stamplars or a stamplar and a tankplar. This is my biggest pain point. I have been kicked while playing on my stamplar for using the only class based resource management skill I have, repentance. Multiple times. This is unacceptable.

2. Templars are the only class that doesn't have a health percentage based self heal for tanks. This makes no sense to me. At least make it so healing ritual always hits the caster.
    Edited by Lightspeedflashb14_ESO on June 1, 2018 6:02AM
  • Tinus_92
    Tinus_92
    ✭✭✭
    1. Lack of overall damage PvE wise;
    *No experience with stamplars, so I'll focus on magplar here

- Poor passives
    - Lack of mobility
    - Puncturing sweeps. Doesn't hit properly, poor damage as class spammable, you'll need a melee build. Thus magplars with sweeps got replaced by stamina chars who out-DPS us by a lot.
    - Radiant Opression. - With more damage focussed on light attacks, and this execute being nerfed in the past, this one isn't worth slotting anymore. The channel lasts too long, blocks your movement, doesn't do enough damage and meanwhile all your buffs run out, reducing damage even more. This used to be a proud templar class execute, making a difference on executes. Also been the one skill which somewhat compensated the lack of damage, but that's a loong time ago.
    > Overall we're not competetive in raids anymore, which have been the issue since Morrowind. Magplars PvE need more damage and more mobility.

2. Templar Tanks PvE
    - It's been years since I've seen them, pve wise. The biggest issue is sustain of resources here. Templars are wearing heavy armor at class selection, yet you don't see HA templars anywhere ingame except for Cyrodiil.
    Edited by Tinus_92 on June 1, 2018 8:57AM
    Ingame ID: @Suni_92
  • Baphomet
    Baphomet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The solution to templars is pretty straight forward. Like with the DKs, just give them back the stuff that worked!

1. They used to have a passive which restored both magicka and stamina everytime they used an ability (sustain fix)
    2. Make sun shield a proper shield mechanism again (defense fix)
    3. Make radiant an execute again (how many times has this been nerfed now?) (DPS fix)
    4. Have dark flare expose and reveal stealthing opponents again - this was useful and unique.
    5. Bring back blinding lights again - in a revised version (evasion fix)
    6. Make puncturing sweep stun on the final hit again (CC fix)
    7. Fix the templar's sluggish charge mechanism (DPS fix)
    - The Psijic Order
    - TKO
    - Dominant Dominion
    - The Noore
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    6. Make puncturing sweep stun on the final hit again (CC fix)

Please no. This was bad. A stun on a spammable makes the tanks job even harder and basically gives free cc immunity in PvP.
  • Thraben
    Thraben
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Repentance should be triggered after an enemy has been defeated, instead of consuming corpses. Furthermore, it should restore either Stamina or Magicka depending on which pool is depleted, like in synergies. Also, the skill should be a HoT instead of a burst heal.

Reason: The old skill creates an unhealthy rivalry among fellow templars for corpses and thus doesn´t promote group play. Additionally, a HoT would be more useful than a burst heal, because Templars already have imposing burst heals.

2. Spear Shards should apply a stun or root again.

Reasons: CC is much needed
    Hauptmann der Dolche des Königs

DDK ist die letzte Verteidigungslinie des Dolchsturz- Bündnisses auf der 30-Tage-No-CP- Kampagne(EU) mit dem Anspruch, in kleinen, anfängerfreundlichen Raid-Gruppen möglichst epische Schlachten auszufechten.

DDK is the Daggerfall Covenant´s last line of defense on the 30 days no-cp campaign (EU). We intend to fight epic battles in small, casual player friendly raid groups.
  • Hotdog_23
    Hotdog_23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    My 2 cents
    For reference I play mostly PVE.
    1. Sustain
    Change Light Weave passive to the same passive Wardens have with Nature’s gift
    Light weaver passive
    Rank I •Increases the duration of Restoring Aura by 10%
    Healing Ritual grants 1 Ultimate to allies under 60% Health
    Channeling Rite of Passage grants 8580 bonus to your Armor.
    Restoring Light Rank 22 -- -- --
    Rank II •Increases the duration of Restoring Aura by 20%
    Healing Ritual grants 2 Ultimate to allies under 60% Health
    Channeling Rite of Passage grants 16500 bonus to your Armor.
    Nature's Gift passive
    •When healing with a Green Balance ability, gain 125 Magicka or 125 Stamina. Restores your lowest resource pool.
    Rank II •When healing with a Green Balance ability, gain 250 Magicka or 250 Stamina. Restores your lowest resource pool.

I would think this would also help PVP. Really would love to 250 as base and 500 on rank 2.

2. “Our house
    Gives us Minor Expedition while standing in cleansing ritual and up to 4 seconds after leaving it. Increase Rune to 12 seconds after leaving it up from 8. Piercing Javelin need to stop knocking the target out of “our house”

2.1 Give us a smart major mending back to targets under 50% health.
    2.2 We need a source of Major Sorcery in class
    2.3 Reliable CC option “cough” spear
    2.4 Ultimate’s needs reworked completely
    2.5 Shorten all channel skills to allow better weaving
  • Drdeath20
    Drdeath20
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Templars passives are a pain point.

Other classes have passives that makes their class skills preferable over using world skills. For instance for every (X) ability slotted it increases something. Those other classes now have a reason to choose a less attractive class skill just for stacking bonus it provides.

templars have passives like enduring rays or light weaver which are just additions to select skills. We have to waste 4 skill points to buff specific skills from fairly weak to average at best and most of the time it has been problematic. Buffing skills by a wasted half a second. These should not be passives but just part of the skill.

Templars have to use up a precious skill spot on their passives. A skill like repentance is weaker than the nightblade executioner passive and refreshing shadows passive yet we have to waste a skill spot on it to get the passive 10% regen for stacking purposes.

The strong classes have passives that stack. weather its 2% resource gain per each skill slotted or 10-15% recovery increase these help put these classes even more ahead and stack amazingly with sets and CPs.

Spear wall passive (15% increase to blocking against melee damage) is unique but it also is negligible

2. Templars have no reliable way to turn a fight around.

Templars used to have blinding light, shards that would also stun and a cleanse that cleansed incomming projectiles. this stuff was all reliable and yet we lost all these skills. now are only forms of crowd control are gimmicky or buggy.

Javelin is expensive and pushes the enemy away from us. Eclipse is situational and in most cases unuseable. Its is easily broken without ever interrupting your opponenet. They now have immunity without ever being disabled. Focused charge is extremely unrealiable and needs its minimun distance removed. Why does explosive charge even exist?

Our gimmicky class shield (blazing shield) use to be worth slotting at one point and was a interesting way to fight aggressive opponents. At this point its too expensive for what it does. It is too weak to protect templars and the damage it does is not cost effective.
    Edited by Drdeath20 on June 1, 2018 10:37AM
  • DoctorESO
    DoctorESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Top pain point:

Comparatively low DPS for magicka templars in vet trials/DLC dungeons
    Edited by DoctorESO on June 1, 2018 11:07AM
  • UppGRAYxDD
    UppGRAYxDD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1: class CC's: Bring back the stun to sweeps and add it to jabs or speed up toppling charge, make it instantly stun at point blank distance, and make explosive charge a stam morph. Templars need a good cc in their toolkit. Hey, why not add the blazing spear stun again? If javelin is gonna remain as is, then at least reduce the cost by %25. Any of these changes would tremendously help Templars with CCs.

2: Ultimates: Templars have some lackluster ultimates atm. Radial sweep and its morphs need to have an extended AOE, at the moment it misses at point blank range, but should act like all AOEs and be undodgeable. The rest need to have a few updates as well due to the fact that many of the morphs are never used.

3: passives, as many have mentioned, Templar passives are not up to par as other classes and should be looked at. How about bringing blinding light back to either a passive or add it to a skill.
    "Stendarr's mercy be upon you, for the vigil has none to spare."
  • ZeroXFF
    ZeroXFF
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Talking from tank perspective:
    1. Lack of an AoE root skill makes things very difficult, especially in vFL hm. Frost blockade doesn't come even close to compensate, and time stop takes too long to activate.
    2. Skills in general synergize poorly and underperform in comparison to other classes. In case of tanking I think Sun Shield deserves an honorable mention as being the most worthless defensive skill, since it shields for the same amount as the new Nightblade cloak morph heals, but it doesn't benefit from resistances or blocking, so it would have to be 4x as strong to just be equal to it. In fact Honor the Dead is always a better use of magicka, but that in turn doesn't help us get the blocking bonus from the passives (aforementioned bad synergy of skills). Turning the shield into a self heal would actually make it worth the magicka cost.

Also important issues:
    3. Buffs require us to stand still, which is rarely possible.
    4. No way to restore stamina while blocking forces us to use the 1hs ulti for regen instead of supporting the group with war horn, making Templars undesirable in group content.
    Edited by ZeroXFF on June 1, 2018 11:30AM
  • Tempouille
    PvE wise
    1.Make Jabs consistent : melee skill must hit strong enough to justify the risk of being in melee range.
    2.Cast times and channel must be addressed
  • SugaComa
    SugaComa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally from a PvP perspective ... Javelin is fine ... It allows you to Push a player back when taking pressure to rebuff and reduce pressure ..

Problem is standing your ground makes you vulnerable ...so what I would like to see is when we cast rituals on the ground passing through house grants cc immunity as long as we stay in with in our garden ... This would mean we can lay out our home and say come on then let's do this we would have the mobility edge but in a finite space as long as we can keep those buffs up
  • BNOC
    BNOC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    gabriebe wrote: »
    Honestly cannot remember the last time I died to Radiant Destruction.

We really should break this down into PC or Console because the Templar environments are wildly different from what I have seen. Radiant, for example, is still very effective in the right hands but takes someone gearing like a crazy person (lifts hand) in order to actually have it not be a tickle. Personally I think it’s in a very fair spot to all at this point because increasing its damage will bring out the anger from non-magplars while decreasing it further would completely ruin it. At least now if you want to run it in PVP you have to be the person who forgoes things like impen gear to maximize it which is a solid trade off.

I agree with you that the environments are different, but I can only gauge that from the clips i see on PC.

On Xbox, I am finding that in no-CP BGs and in CP Cyrodil against weaker players, radiant is still quite strong.

Where I notice it's weakness is against equally and higher skilled players - I experience the same 15% HP outheals that Joy_Division has, which is insane considering I'm rocking like 4k+ SD in War-Maiden & Innate Axiom, SD mundus etc; and I'm no slouch to the class in general.

1) Mobility & Pigeon holing me into running Mist Form.
    It's either that or Forward Momentum, but I lose so much defence and blocking ability on my back bar by being forced into this setup that it's not really that great in Cyrodil IMO, but hey-***, neither of them really are with the amount of flame damage, DB's and snares that I feel as a Vamp.
    Mobility needs seriously updated, and with that, the "Templar House" also.

2) The passives are comparatively weak to other classes.

Bonus Ball:
    Toppling charge could be usable from closer range than it currently is but I wouldn't want to affect how far you can currently go with it.

vMSA - Magplar - Xbox EU - 15/11/16
    578,000 - 36 Minutes 58 Seconds (Top 2 World?)

vMSA - Magplar - Xbox NA
    569,000 - 40 minutes (350CP, Non optimised runs)
  • Cinbri
    Cinbri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    If short:
    1. Terrible class ultimates.
    2. Stamina resource management almost unexisting, preventing templars from being viable in tank role.

Maybe will do long thread on weekends if laziness wont kill me.
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    1. Restoring aura and its morphs are either outmatched by skills outside the class, mainly eledrain but I would also say siphon spirit is better or simply makes it so you can't even count on it if there is 2 stamplars or a stamplar and a tankplar. This is my biggest pain point. I have been kicked while playing on my stamplar for using the only class based resource management skill I have, repentance. Multiple times. This is unacceptable.

2. Templars are the only class that doesn't have a health percentage based self heal for tanks. This makes no sense to me. At least make it so healing ritual always hits the caster.

Alternatively, they could make it so Blazing Shield was good again.
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Alternatively, they could make it so Blazing Shield was good again.

that is the thing, a self heal is better then a ward. DKs have a health percentage based ward and the best health percentage based heal as well. this is a big part of what makes them so good at self sustain. Templars have a health based ward, of which you call blazing shield, but there is another morph that is supposed to be the tank morph, Radiant Ward, and the fact that you still refer to the other morph that is damage orientated is part of the problem with the game, if it doesn't do damage, it is is considered worthless.

the fact that the only healing skill in the Templar toolkit that doesn't scale with max magic/spell damage is the same one that i name as the number one "pain point", repentance, also says a lot. if there is a stamplar in the group with a templar tank, the tank is SoL because the dps needs to get theirs first. this is the biggest problem in pve, with templars as far as i can see it, if you want all classes to do all roles effectively.
    Edited by Lightspeedflashb14_ESO on June 1, 2018 1:50PM
  • NiclasFridholm
    NiclasFridholm
    ✭✭✭✭
    Magicka PvE point of view:

1: Class skills such as Sweeps and Radiant are channels and make us lose a ton of damage because we cant LA during these channels.

2: Both these skills have been nerfed to the point its a DPS loss to.run em. This has made us not viable in melee spot in raids and lets be honest, who would pick a rangeplar above a NB this patch...?

Solution 1: Simply buff damage on all channels

Solution 2: Buff burning light in both damage and procc rate to atleast 50% chance every 0,25 sec and make it work on all channel abilities instead of Aedric Spear skills.
    Tobias Funke - Magplar since forever

• THEDKEXPERIENCE
    THEDKEXPERIENCE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Here’s an easy one ... Breath of Life and Honor the Dead should heal the caster 100% of the time unless they are already at full health.

Nothing quite like just wasting thousands of magic in a crowd of 100 people when you’re at 10% health and in dire need of a self heal.
  • RoyalPink06
    RoyalPink06
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only issue i have with templars is block casting breathe of life over and over again. Breathe of life in my opinion should be a short uninterruptible channel so you cannot block while spamming it.

Please no. PvE Templar healers have already had too much taken away from us.

NA PS4