Maintenance for the week of February 18:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – February 18
• Xbox One: EU megaserver for maintenance – February 20, 4:00AM EST (9:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EST (17:00 UTC)
The Wrathstone DLC Game Pack and Update 21 base game patch are now available to test on the PTS! Read the full patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/454456/

[Class Rep] Templar Feedback Thread

• DoonerSeraph
    DoonerSeraph
    ✭✭✭
    My current 2 pain points on templar:

1.Stamina sustain sucks especially at tanking
    2.Gameplay is based on clunky channels
  • dovakiin5574
    dovakiin5574
    ✭✭✭✭
    1)
    LACKING sustain, no resource regen in passives like other classes. PRETTY PLEASE FIX THIS

2)
    It's painful how Restoring Focus does not follow the player around (tank versatility). Please change this, I hate needing to recast this thing over and over and over again and losing my magicka and not being able to range taunt adds
    PAPSMEAR - Positively Against Paws SMEAR campaign - Say YES to crown crates
  • THEDKEXPERIENCE
    THEDKEXPERIENCE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    1. Lack of sustain (add stam return to burning light) (Stam)
    2. Worthless execute (change to 25% and below and increase damage dramatically) (magicka)

Question for everyone who is saying that Radiant is worthless, assuming PVP.

My tooltip is above 17k without buffs and I’m not even at the CP cap (709 I believe). What level is your tooltip at to say it’s worthless?

I understand that I’ve made some gear decisions to pump this up a bit, but I gotta imagine most of you have a tool tip value of above 15k even in impen. Am I wrong?
  • THEDKEXPERIENCE
    THEDKEXPERIENCE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Koolio wrote: »
    2. Worthless execute (change to 25% and below and increase damage dramatically) (magicka)

My tooltip is above 17k without buffs and I’m not even at the CP cap (709 I believe). What level is your tooltip at to say it’s worthless?

I understand that I’ve made some gear decisions to pump this up a bit, but I gotta imagine most of you have a tool tip value of above 15k even in impen. Am I wrong?

Watch the video from joy division on the first page. They were hitting people with radiant at 5%-10% and they would just heal through it.

Will do!

Still looking ... can’t find it. Still, that’s fine if those people are tanks, and conversely was Joy (a great player undoubtedly) geared to maximize this specific move?

Don’t get me wrong, I’d love this move to be buffed but I’d basically turn into Cyclops from XMen if my Radiant hit harder than now.
    Edited by THEDKEXPERIENCE on May 31, 2018 9:07PM
  • Koolio
    Koolio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Watch the video from joy division on the first page. They were hitting people with radiant at 5%-10% and they would just heal through it.

Will do!

Still looking ... can’t find it. Still, that’s fine if those people are tanks, and conversely was Joy (a great player undoubtedly) geared to maximize this specific move?

Don’t get me wrong, I’d love this move to be buffed but I’d basically turn into Cyclops from XMen if my Radiant hit harder than now.

• NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Reading for comprehension fail on my part. Okay, so two things?

1) Too many channels
    2) Lack of a viable damage ult

Magplar PVP pain points:

1) Sustain. The only sustain passive templars have is a 4% cost reduction.

2) Too many channels.

3) No dedicated self-heal. Please make Honor the Dead heal only the caster and Breath of Life can be the healer morph.

4) Underperforming skills:
    Radiant: Reduce the range and execute threshold and increase the damage to give this skill a real risk/reward mechanic.
    Nova: Too expensive for too little damage or utility
    Javelin: A cc that knocks people out of the range of your jabs synergizes poorly. Would be better if it knocked them down, pinned them down, or did anything besides push them farther away.
    Radial Sweep: Tiny range and very hard to land. Dawnbreaker, which is similar, is far superior. Templar needs a good damage ultimate.
    Sun Shield: Neither good protection nor good damage.
    Balanced Warrior: Add spell damage

5) A sustain skill that is small and tied to the ground does not work well in a game where mobility is so critical.

Edited by NBrookus on May 31, 2018 9:21PM
    PC NA
    Dunmer Magicka DK, Argonian Magicka Templar, Altmer Magicka NB, Breton Magicka Sorcerer, Orc Stamina Warden
    Breton Magicka Sorcerer, Argonian Magicka Templar, Orc Stamina DK, Bosmer Stamina NB, Nord Stamina Warden
    Dunmer Magicka DK, Argonian Magicka Templar, Altmer Magicka Sorcerer
  • Bald_templar
    Bald_templar
    Soul Shriven
    The biggest pain in my opinion is Channeled Focus (and the other morph). (which actually makes me run mighty chudan in pvp just to get rid of it)
    My suggestion is that change the armor buff a full 20 secs while the 2nd effect (restore mag/minor protection and minor vitality) happens only when you step inside it.

Haven't decided yet which one is the 2nd pain. Will edit later :open_mouth:

• casparian
    casparian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

My tooltip was 20k+ buffed last time I ran it. I've definitely gotten a few kills with it in the past few months and it can be an okay source of pressure against people trying to heal back up even if it doesn't kill them. But I still got more kills using Sweeps in execute range than using Radiant. It just isn't worth it to run this ability over others for open world templars, as numerous non-execute abilities (even plain old Sweeps) put out greater pressure on enemies in execute range.

But the perception of the ability is that it's some kind of overpowered press-to-delete-enemy button, which couldn't be farther from the truth. I would rank it above Poison Injection in the hierarchy of executes and below every other.

Is your build an open world, self-sustaining build? I thought you were a self-professed zerg surfer :p One thing that a lot of us in the Templar discord have been talking about is how to make this ability more useful in general but *less* useful in the specific case of zerg surfers and templars in large groups. (It was beam spammers in large groups who got the ability nerfed for the rest of us in the first place.) I think one thing the PVP community as a whole agrees on is that templars in large groups can go jump in a lake.

In PVE Radiant is worthless; it's a DPS loss in almost every case. It doesn't do nearly enough damage to make up for the fact that you can't weave light attacks while you're stuck channeling it.
    PC NA DC
    RIP Requiem
    Templar/MagDK/Warden
  • Integral1900
    Integral1900
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The sustain is realy poor, I mean yes they can buff a dungeon or trails group sustain a lot but they have nothing much for themselves

The execute got nerfed into the ground, it’s the only one I know where my dps goes down in that last 25% instead of up if I use it
  • THEDKEXPERIENCE
    THEDKEXPERIENCE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Will do!

I watched the video and, yes, I do agree that Radiant is not an outright death sentence for some people.

Here’s the thing though, and I’d have to have @Joy_Division weigh in, I can tell from his bars that he isn’t pushing everything possible into maximizing radiant’s power. I’m sure it’s still quite strong, but even the 2% extra from an additional mages guild ability would increase its power. Also, I’m assuming that he is not wearing an infused/divines combo on his armor. Once again, maybe I’m wrong.

If your argument is that it’s a wet noodle against some players when you’re not fully specked just to maximize that move, you are correct. I’m just saying that is not the fault of radiant, but your gear/other skills.

Personally I would LOVE to be proven incorrect here.
  • Blobsky
    Blobsky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok more than 2 but...

1. Horrible selection of Ultimates for PvP
    2. Power of the light / purifying light ahould only store the casters damage (50k health tanks hitting 6-8k 24/7 if outnumbered is ridiculous.
    3. Purifying burning embers should still give a DK the heal on purging (Else I can just purge a magdk to death)
    4. Useful magicka hard CC please (I choose to use only eclipse atm)

I disagree on mobility, I think purify does fine for me, and honestly it is refreshing to play each class differently rather than (like all stam) have almost identical skill bars and outrace hussain bolt. I choose to play MagPlar for variety of playstyle and would consider myself pretty deadly on it in solo, duo and BG PvP

Yt Channell: Blobsky

DC EU Nightblade
    Owner of 'The Travelling Merchant' - Craglorn trade guild since near release!
  • TheNightflame
    TheNightflame
    ✭✭✭
    this doesn't constitute my two things, but i was wondering what it would be like if ritual, instead of being an all at once purge, ticked every few seconds for 2 cleanses at a time or something. this removes the need to spam it and adds to the value of staying in it, but it also removes the immediate 5 negative effect removal. I'm not leaning to or away from this idea, but was wondering what people thought about things sorta like that?
    Edited by TheNightflame on May 31, 2018 10:10PM
  • THEDKEXPERIENCE
    THEDKEXPERIENCE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    casparian wrote: »

My tooltip was 20k+ buffed last time I ran it. I've definitely gotten a few kills with it in the past few months and it can be an okay source of pressure against people trying to heal back up even if it doesn't kill them. But I still got more kills using Sweeps in execute range than using Radiant. It just isn't worth it to run this ability over others for open world templars, as numerous non-execute abilities (even plain old Sweeps) put out greater pressure on enemies in execute range.

But the perception of the ability is that it's some kind of overpowered press-to-delete-enemy button, which couldn't be farther from the truth. I would rank it above Poison Injection in the hierarchy of executes and below every other.

Is your build an open world, self-sustaining build? I thought you were a self-professed zerg surfer :p One thing that a lot of us in the Templar discord have been talking about is how to make this ability more useful in general but *less* useful in the specific case of zerg surfers and templars in large groups. (It was beam spammers in large groups who got the ability nerfed for the rest of us in the first place.) I think one thing the PVP community as a whole agrees on is that templars in large groups can go jump in a lake.

In PVE Radiant is worthless; it's a DPS loss in almost every case. It doesn't do nearly enough damage to make up for the fact that you can't weave light attacks while you're stuck channeling it.

Awesome response. I solo all the time these days but, admittedly will surf the crap out of a Zerg if I see one. I just get REALLY powerful in a Zerg where I don’t have to worry about defense all that much. If I’m in the open world I’m pretty much just casting shields and heals until I proc a soul assault and hope it gets them low enough for the radiant.

It is also highly situational. My favorite thing is defending places like Sejanus and it can be straight up lethal in that situation. Meanwhile I’ve also gone an hour without using it.
  • casparian
    casparian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Will do!

I watched the video and, yes, I do agree that Radiant is not an outright death sentence for some people.

Here’s the thing though, and I’d have to have @Joy_Division weigh in, I can tell from his bars that he isn’t pushing everything possible into maximizing radiant’s power. I’m sure it’s still quite strong, but even the 2% extra from an additional mages guild ability would increase its power. Also, I’m assuming that he is not wearing an infused/divines combo on his armor. Once again, maybe I’m wrong.

If your argument is that it’s a wet noodle against some players when you’re not fully specked just to maximize that move, you are correct. I’m just saying that is not the fault of radiant, but your gear/other skills.

Is your argument that radiant is fine because you can kill people while building 100% around this ability and wearing PVE gear (non-impen armor in PVP lol)?
    PC NA DC
    RIP Requiem
    Templar/MagDK/Warden
  • THEDKEXPERIENCE
    THEDKEXPERIENCE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Will do!

What I would say is this: If I have to push everything possible into maximizing an ability's power, then that ability isn't very good. And that's why I no longer use this ability in any aspect of ESO.

I used to get killed all the time by this ability (one time templars were quite high on my "killed by" kill counter stats). Now I sometimes go entire nights without that happening. Other people have either come to the same conclusion as myself or are wasting their mana trying to kill me with an inefficient ability.

Totally fair! Thanks for the info.

One of the main Templar issues in general is the need to slot skills or gear simply to make cool stuff viable. Like I said in my original response I think I’m currently slotting 7/12 skills just that make my main attacks stronger. That’s crazy.
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    gabriebe wrote: »
    Honestly cannot remember the last time I died to Radiant Destruction.

We really should break this down into PC or Console because the Templar environments are wildly different from what I have seen. Radiant, for example, is still very effective in the right hands but takes someone gearing like a crazy person (lifts hand) in order to actually have it not be a tickle. Personally I think it’s in a very fair spot to all at this point because increasing its damage will bring out the anger from non-magplars while decreasing it further would completely ruin it. At least now if you want to run it in PVP you have to be the person who forgoes things like impen gear to maximize it which is a solid trade off.

That said ... here are my 2.

1 - Why, why, why is it so much harder to mount for Magplars than anyone else after combat? Just because I healed someone 45 seconds before does not mean I’m still fighting. It’s been a running joke for years that fights in Cyrodiil all have to wait for the magplars to arrive on foot before the real battle starts.

2 - We have access to a lot of cool stuff skills-wise, but it takes an inordinate amount of bar space to utilize everything. I can easily spend 7 of my 12 skill spots across 2 bars just on powers that make my real powers work better. Doing this for the mages guild bonuses is fine, but having to slot an Aedric Spear ability on both bars to get a vital passive is odd at best.

Bonus ... the triple fire ball is awesome visually but could really use a damage bump.

Wardens have that problem as well. Its a problem of heals I think but seems like it should be easily dealt with.
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
  • Swimguy
    Swimguy
    ✭✭✭
    templar feels like it was made for magic and not stamina. like half the passives rarely/barely benefit me.

my only class stun is the opposite of what stamplars need and is really only used to knock people off ledges or push them into lava.

the whole AoE ground buff thing just sounds dumb to me but thats me