[Class Rep] Templar Feedback Thread

ZOS_GinaBruno
ZOS_GinaBruno
Community Manager
The purpose of this thread is to give you a place to post your current top two pain points with the Templar. Our new Class Representatives will be keeping a close eye on this thread, and will utilize it to gather additional feedback for the notes they’re currently compiling for their first meeting with the Dev Team next week. Please be sure and keep your post clear and succinct, and focus more on what is currently frustrating you rather than potential solutions. Thanks!
Gina Bruno
ESO Community Manager
Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
Staff Post
  • GreenSoup2HoT
    GreenSoup2HoT
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Only issue i have with templars is block casting breathe of life over and over again. Breathe of life in my opinion should be a short uninterruptible channel so you cannot block while spamming it.
    PS4 NA DC
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice and focused. Keep them coming!
    "Dragon leap is NOT overperforming. You are underperforming." - ZarkingFrued

Joy's Old but still useful for newer players guide for beating VMA

• Revokus
    Revokus
    ✭✭✭✭
    1) Being forced to be vampire for mist form in open world pvp because we have no mobility and our house is made of paper in 2018. 2) Having to wear pirate skeleton as a templar in light armor because of the befoul major defile meta and having to spam honor the dead as our only defense.
    Playing since January 23, 2016
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OdinForge wrote: »
    Idk who is looking at PvP stamplar specifically or if stamina and magicka are being overseen by one person.

My biggest two problems with current stamplar since picking up the class in thieves guild as a main, revolve around sustain and defense. Templar was said to be the "stand their ground", "don't come into my house" limited mobility type class. Stamplar has changed dramatically in how it played back then.

To play stamplar you need to have exceptionally high damage output. Stamplar never had exceptional sustain options even pre-morrowind CP changes and pre-repent nerfs, even engine guardian was changed so that stamplar couldn't repent the dead bot. Stamplar always had two things going for it in the past however, strong stand your ground defense capabilities and high damage output, stay alive long enough to kill for sustain.

I find that if I go out into PvP to play alone for a while that I'm constantly starved on sustain, without the same capability to stand my ground as stamplar used to, playing more kite heavy without actual skills designed to kite. Using things like lingering health potions to prevent my HP from staying low enough to be insta-killed, because major mending was taken away and befoul was over-buffed. When you start adding in things like earthgore carrying your targets, and cheap defensive ults it becomes more complicated.

Both stamsorc and stamnb have ways to be played with high damage, and with the tools to supplement low sustain and defense. Stamsorc can streak away with speed pots and dark deal until a combo is ready, stamnb has a ton of class based sustain tools and reposition tools. Stamplar by comparison feels literally tethered to any form of LOS.

The above is my observation playing stamplar in pvp from thieves guild to now.

tl;dr
    1. Stamplar needs better classed based options to supplement sustain.
    2. Stamplar should be able to stand its ground better again, return major mending at the minimum.

See my comment, we share similar feedback and I've recently hard swapped to stamplar :)

I agree with this feedback here as well.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Doctordarkspawn
    Doctordarkspawn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OdinForge wrote: »
    Idk who is looking at PvP stamplar specifically or if stamina and magicka are being overseen by one person.

My biggest two problems with current stamplar since picking up the class in thieves guild as a main, revolve around sustain and defense. Templar was said to be the "stand their ground", "don't come into my house" limited mobility type class. Stamplar has changed dramatically in how it played back then.

To play stamplar you need to have exceptionally high damage output. Stamplar never had exceptional sustain options even pre-morrowind CP changes and pre-repent nerfs, even engine guardian was changed so that stamplar couldn't repent the dead bot. Stamplar always had two things going for it in the past however, strong stand your ground defense capabilities and high damage output, stay alive long enough to kill for sustain.

I find that if I go out into PvP to play alone for a while that I'm constantly starved on sustain, without the same capability to stand my ground as stamplar used to, playing more kite heavy without actual skills designed to kite. Using things like lingering health potions to prevent my HP from staying low enough to be insta-killed, because major mending was taken away and befoul was over-buffed. When you start adding in things like earthgore carrying your targets, and cheap defensive ults it becomes more complicated.

Both stamsorc and stamnb have ways to be played with high damage, and with the tools to supplement low sustain and defense. Stamsorc can streak away with speed pots and dark deal until a combo is ready, stamnb has a ton of class based sustain tools and reposition tools. Stamplar by comparison feels literally tethered to any form of LOS.

The above is my observation playing stamplar in pvp from thieves guild to now.

tl;dr
    1. Stamplar needs better classed based options to supplement sustain.
    2. Stamplar should be able to stand its ground better again, return major mending at the minimum.

This, but in general.

I play a templar tank mostly based of healing, and keep to normal, and I dont feel like I have much ability to do that. Most of my defense comes from sets and innate mitigation from CP.

The healing from Sweep has got better but our passives do bugger all for our sustain, and our defense continues to be based on blocking. Why not bubbles? We alllready have an entire skill dedicated to barriers.
    Edited by Doctordarkspawn on May 31, 2018 6:14PM
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

To me, the measure of a man is whether or not he fights for his principles. It does not matter if you never had a chance to begin with. The deck could be stacked, the game rigged against you. You fight to the bitter end, because it is worth fighting for.

NA-PC Tank player only.
  • CyrusArya
    CyrusArya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Stamplar sustain is its most glaring weakness. The class has the least amount of in house passive aids to sustain of any class in the game, and the one active skill it has is useless in-fight until things are already dying...so for example in duels. In practice tho, in solo/outnumbered situations, what I find is you spend way too much time and resources running around trying to stay alive and that really burns your stam. Even in a mit set. Purge is nice, but in practice its needed constantly one after the other and while it removes damage it doesn't exactly mitigate it or increase face-tankability...which cuts deep on stamplar as being based around a channel makes the class vulnerable quite often. This was not much of an issue when we had major mending, but in recent patches with the massive increase of damage its becoming a noticeable one. The defensive options for the other classes mitigate far better, and in turn allow the heals to steadily flow in and makes turning fights from defense>offense easier. Skills and synergies like cloak, ig shield+mending, kiting w/streak+dark deal, shimmering+warden heals and mending....all of these techniques on other classes indirectly translate to sustain. The lesser survivability on top of lesser in class sustain is the greatest challenge stamplar faces, and the two issues go hand in hand on the field.

The second bit I would like to address is in regards to damage. Stamplar damage is the defining aspect of the class. Jabs is unlike any other skill in the game, in that it isn't a simple point and click skill. In a sense it actually requires the user to wield the spear, and has an element of skill and positioning to it that I find no other spammable has. This makes it incredibly engaging to use, but also brings with it a set of challenges. As a channel, it leaves the caster vulnerable and is prone to not connecting against evasive opponents. Furthermore, being a channel it really loses out on light attack weaving, which is becoming a major part of dealing damage in recent patches. As such, the class needs to run a bleed spec to maintain pressure and be competitive with other meta stam specs. But other classes can run bleed builds as well other weapon configurations and still be quite potent in a way stamplar cannot. Literally every other class runs direct damage based specs better due to not having to build around a DoT based channel. This lack of versatility is a concern for me.
    A R Y A
    -Atmosphere
    -Ary'a
    Czarya
    The K-Hole ~ Phałanx
    My PvP Videos
  • Koolio
    Koolio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

That’s the one lol
  • Sandman929
    Sandman929
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Koolio wrote: »
    Cost of Nova
    Class execute is terrible now

@Joy_Division I believe it was you with the video of terrible it has become. Can you link me that if it was. I wanted to show some friends

I already gave two, and I like my two, but yes to these as well. Either the cost or the damage for Nova...same complaint I have with most class ultis is that there isn't much reason to not run EotS particularly in group PvP. Though the major maim extension on Nova is nice.
    Daggerfall Covenant - Xbox One NA
  • Thrusts-His-Spear
    Thrusts-His-Spear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My feed back is this.

Jabs/sweeps: condence this skills damage into 3 hits.( A .8 second channel to make weaving light attacks easyer. Move the snare to the first hit.)
    Unstable core: make this a unlockable CC with the damage aoe mechanic attached to breaking it. (This will give 2 viable morphs to the skill. One heals the caster with no CC. The other is a CC with a small aoe damage attached to it.)

Toppling charge and morphs: remove the minimum distance limitation to this skill and make one morph stamina based. (This will give stamina users a melee stun that doesnt knock a target away from the user. )

Ultimates:

Radial sweep: make both morphs hit harder (use dawnbreaker as a relative base for balance)
    Increase the radius to 6m. Add a knock down on initial hit.

Solar prison: the synergy should automaticly active after 2 second s of dropping.

Passives:

balanced warrior : this passive should add spell damage too.

Illuminate:
    This passive should give minor endurance giving Stam regen for 20 seconds.

Sacred Ground:
    This passive should give minor movement speed

Dude Where's My Guar?
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm not really sure what templar design philosophy is currently. With each update, I feel like we've moved farther away from a "Templar House" concept. And a lot of things Templars do well have been watered down, with just a hint of class personality left. (I.E., all other things being equal, my Twilight and energy orb sorc is as proficient a healer as my BoL and spear shard Templar.)
    BohnT wrote: »
    Javalin just doesn't synergise at all with the toolkit, templar is About in your face fights but javalin knocks your enemy out of the range of your spammable and your only instant Damage ult.

With regards to this, Aurora Javelin is useful on a ranged magicka DPS, but it's definitely the odd skill out in the Aedic Spear tree where most skills are about close quarters fighting. Javelin doesn't work too well for a stamplar or magplar melee DPS. Melee Templars are pretty starved for a zero point CC, Sweeps/Jabs sill feel too easy to avoid even with the larger conal area. (Although recent changes mean 2 slot weapons have become more viable sources of CC without losing a set bonus.)

I'd propose turning binding javelin into a magicka based pin without the knockback, or even a root. Take one of the focus charge morphs, and convert it to a stamina gap closer with stun/interupt. That'll give dual wielding stamplars an effective pressure skill, (if it doesn't bug out.)
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●