The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

[Class Rep] Sorcerer Feedback Thread

• Fiktius
    Fiktius
    ✭✭✭✭
    Minalan wrote: »
    We could always ask the devs to kindly change the kill recording mechanism to who did the most health damage.

But people are lazy, and not terribly bright. It’s our nature. Why do all of that hard math when the devs can just ruin wrath completely in ten minutes? Problem solved!

Changing the kill recording mechanism would be nice in general, but once again, that was not my point.
    Mage's wrath execute system in my opinion right now is not balanced and I'm hoping to see something done for it.
    But I get it, some people are used for their current system and all changes are bad things in their eyes.
    It's understandable, it's completely normal, people are like that.
    Vahrokh wrote: »
    In case you haven't noticed, magsorcs are a ranged spec.
    In case you haven't noticed, wrath is so weak compared to other executes that it's the first skill we drop in trials. It's weak exactly because to balance the fact it's ranged. I do more DPS without Mage's Wrath (and with another non-execute ability in place) than with it.

Sorcerer class is ranged, that's obvious. But then again, if Mage's Wrath is dropped out of trials in PvE, it doesn't mean that it would be weak in PvP too. But I get it. Many people are unable to think about impact of specific skills in PvP if they are used to deal with PvE content and wise versa. (Not saying that this is your case tho, don't get me wrong.)
    However it would be cool if Mage's Wrath could be adjusted to balance PvP without impacting PvE much.

Edited by Fiktius on July 1, 2018 1:42PM
  • Chilly-McFreeze
    Chilly-McFreeze
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    And how would you change wrath without making it a copy of Impale?
  • Fiktius
    Fiktius
    ✭✭✭✭

I think this was suggested before in this thread, but I would also suggest to make it function like other executes in the game, which can't be casted "beforehand."
    This would remove an opportunity of timing many skills landing on the opponent at the same time and now the execute extra damage impact would apply directly, if the target is below execute HP range. That additional explosion damage dealt to nearby enemies can remain, that's fine imo.
    This little adjustment wouldn't impact too much gameplay and it would be still very viable execute. :)
    Edited by Fiktius on July 1, 2018 3:51PM
  • Galarthor
    Galarthor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You do realize that's the whole point of Sorc DPS in PvP: Timing your attacks to go off at the same time.
    The treshold is also realively low with 20%. As is the damage it deals when it procs.

The only potential issue I see with Mage's Fury is the "kill stealing" in BGs. But to that end it would be far better to change how the kills are attributed to players than to change the skill and with it the way sorcs are meant to work.
  • Chilly-McFreeze
    Chilly-McFreeze
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Fiktius wrote: »

I think this was suggested before in this thread, but I would also suggest to make it function like other executes in the game, which can't be casted "beforehand."
    This would remove an opportunity of timing many skills landing on the opponent at the same time and now the execute extra damage impact would apply directly, if the target is below execute HP range. That additional explosion damage dealt to nearby enemies can remain, that's fine imo.
    This little adjustment wouldn't impact too much gameplay and it would be still very viable execute. :)

„CAnt be casted beforehand“ - poison injections and potl+ Jesus beam would like to have a word with you

*yes, i know These are dots/ channels and not bursts and therefore not as effective. But still pre applied. Fury is not an unique mechanic.
  • LegendaryMage
    LegendaryMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭

„CAnt be casted beforehand“ - poison injections and potl+ Jesus beam would like to have a word with you

*yes, i know These are dots/ channels and not bursts and therefore not as effective. But still pre applied. Fury is not an unique mechanic.

That's arguable, radiant destruction is damn effective vs anyone low health, the damage is insane at 16k+ tooltip plus 300% - 350% extra percent plus another extra damage modifier based on your current magicka etc.

I'd definitely swap endless for radiant and that's coming from a mag sorc main + mag templar secondary. Not to mention that you can get a tick or two of radiant at 35-40% and go into heavy execute range with the skill itself.

The only time endless is actually more useful is vs very inexperienced players, but vs anyone competent at low health - distance + radiant, goodbye.
  • Blobsky
    Blobsky
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That's arguable, radiant destruction is damn effective vs anyone low health, the damage is insane at 16k+ tooltip plus 300% - 350% extra percent plus another extra damage modifier based on your current magicka etc.

I'd definitely swap endless for radiant and that's coming from a mag sorc main + mag templar secondary. Not to mention that you can get a tick or two of radiant at 35-40% and go into heavy execute range with the skill itself.

The only time endless is actually more useful is vs very inexperienced players, but vs anyone competent at low health - distance + radiant, goodbye.

I know you as a very skilled player but assume you didnt play magplar in a bit... they screwed the scaling and it has literally 3s delay before even casting. Unless rebuffed AND patched it will never be back on my bar. Definitely used to be brutal, but currently it is absolute garbage xD
    Edited by Blobsky on July 1, 2018 8:24PM
    Yt Channell: Blobsky

DC EU Nightblade
    Owner of 'The Travelling Merchant' - Craglorn trade guild since near release!
  • LegendaryMage
    LegendaryMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Blobsky wrote: »

I know you as a very skilled player but assume you didnt play magplar in a bit... they screwed the scaling and it has literally 3s delay before even casting. Unless rebuffed AND patched it will never be back on my bar. Definitely used to be brutal, but currently it is absolute garbage xD

I don't know man, I burned all them dueling magplars in Alik'r with it, doesn't look that weak to me at all.

I think there's a slight delay with the cast or the first tick, it's certainly clunky, but 3 seconds? That's a bit too much imo. Or maybe it didn't matter anyway. :)

I mean don't get me wrong, I'm not saying sorc's execute is bad or anything, I just find it often useless against players who know what's coming, while this other one can inflict so much pressure from a distance (when timed right) that they just don't know what to do about it if they're not in range to bash.
  • Fiktius
    Fiktius
    ✭✭✭✭

That's the difference, which you already mentioned. They are dots, which leaves more time for the target for actually do something about it. Fighting against Jesus beam is something which I've been dealing with a lot in countless duels and in Cyrodiil. As long as you keep healing/putting your shields up, you can take the beam in your face during entire duration without worries. Compared to Mage's Wrath that's not the same, because the execute is delayed, so you can combine a lot more skills with it and cause a super nice burst towards an enemy player.

And poison injection, really? That's a dot which you can out heal easily, as long as you have resources. (The same with any dot in the game.) I wouldn't even compare Poison Injection (or any other basic dot) to Mage's Wrath since it's like comparing carrots to potatoes.
    Edited by Fiktius on July 1, 2018 10:39PM
  • TheCyberDruid
    TheCyberDruid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't even compare Poison Injection (or any other basic dot) to Mage's Wrath since it's like comparing a carrot to potatoes.

Carrots are more sweet and less starchy. They still compare much better than apples and pears. Just my two cent.
  • Minalan
    Minalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The dev feedback thread for players who enjoy the sorcerer class has now become a ‘nerf sorc!’ Thread.

Insert appropriate meme here.
  • Emma_Overload
    Emma_Overload
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sharquez wrote: »
    1. Lack of Stam passives and skills.
    2. Lack of mag Regen. Really hard to sustain vs other mag classes.

Bonus round: lightning damage is once again crap compared to fire. Might as well be ice. Can lightning he reworked?

I wasn't aware a 5% passive execute, chance to apply vulnerability and an 8% difference between single target and aoe damage was so drastically impacting the ability to do any damage whatsoever to anything. Please tell me more about the hyperbolic gambreaking differences between fire and lightning elemental damage on a sorc.

One of the biggest problems is poor synergy with gear sets. DKs get their Whips and a ton of other useful spells massively buffed by Silks of the Sun, but what does Netch's Touch do for Sorcerers? We don't even have a shock damage spammable!
    #CAREBEARMASTERRACE
  • ll_Rev
    ll_Rev
    ✭✭✭✭

Have never died to radiant destruction once since it’s nerf. Terrible skill.
  • ll_Rev
    ll_Rev
    ✭✭✭✭
    Blobsky wrote: »

I don't know man, I burned all them dueling magplars in Alik'r with it, doesn't look that weak to me at all.

I think there's a slight delay with the cast or the first tick, it's certainly clunky, but 3 seconds? That's a bit too much imo. Or maybe it didn't matter anyway. :)

I mean don't get me wrong, I'm not saying sorc's execute is bad or anything, I just find it often useless against players who know what's coming, while this other one can inflict so much pressure from a distance (when timed right) that they just don't know what to do about it if they're not in range to bash.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mYhctNG9FNE&feature=youtu.be
  • ll_Rev
    ll_Rev
    ✭✭✭✭

Bonus round: lightning damage is once again crap compared to fire. Might as well be ice. Can lightning he reworked?

I wasn't aware a 5% passive execute, chance to apply vulnerability and an 8% difference between single target and aoe damage was so drastically impacting the ability to do any damage whatsoever to anything. Please tell me more about the hyperbolic gambreaking differences between fire and lightning elemental damage on a sorc.

One of the biggest problems is poor synergy with gear sets. DKs get their Whips and a ton of other useful spells massively buffed by Silks of the Sun, but what does Netch's Touch do for Sorcerers? We don't even have a shock damage spammable!

Played sorc for as long as I remember, no they don’t need a shock spammable.
  • Biro123
    Biro123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't even have wrath/fury slotted at the mo. Too much bar-space competition makes it always one of the first things to drop... I mean, if you can't get em to execute range, it's useless.. if you can, well, I'm sure that means you have the abilities slotted to take off the last 20% too..
    Minalan owes me a beer.

PC EU Megaserver
    Minie Mo - Stam/Magblade - DC
    Woody Ron - Stamplar - DC
    Aidee - Magsorc - DC
    Notadorf - Stamsorc - DC
    Khattman Doo - Stamblade - Relegated to Crafter, cos AD.
  • Dinnaga
    Dinnaga
    Soul Shriven
    I have only ever played a mag sorc it is main main character it is love it is life, but if I had to choose "my top two pain points"
    I choose these.

1. I would really really like it if I could change my pet skins the scamp is ugly and I would really like a baby storm atronoch to replace him. Perhaps a variant of a flame atronoch skin to replace the matriarch. And of course a small frost atronoch to replace my Clanfear.

2. Not even gonna put another point because I just really really want the first one.
  • LegendaryMage
    LegendaryMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ll_Rev wrote: »

Have never died to radiant destruction once since it’s nerf. Terrible skill.

Well, that's nice but I can make the same video with excellent players getting melted by it when they're in trouble so my points still stand.

And, I can say the same for sorc's execute, have seen countless of players surviving it, out-shielding it etc. It proves absolutely nothing. Your video can easily be re-made with that skill and there will be just as many players surviving it as with radiant destruction.

Also, keep in mind that the damage from radiant becomes more and more deadly if your character's overall damage is good too.

In other words, it's not the same if your tooltip is 12k, or 16k. You can't hit like a wet noodle and still expect to do great damage even with a finisher.
  • X3NTU
    X3NTU
    Soul Shriven
    From PVP stance
    From defensive side:

Hardened ward looks good where it is at the present time.

1 No snare or cc immunity. Boundless storm should provide this at every cast a brief immunity to snare or soft cc's. With the new psijic order skill that grants major expedition and minor force is hard to keep boundless storm as a go to skill for sorcerers without that extra incentive.

2. Rune prison morphs should be the other way around. Defensive rune gives a damage when they break free or the stun ends while the other one should be like a source of providing something along the lines of buffing the damage caster does or debuffing the enemy damage taken. That way if the enemy hits you( while on a defensive rune) it applies a straight damage when breaking free/effect ends or a defensive magick damage dot is applied on target when stunned by it. If you opt for the offensive morph the caster damage is increased passively through a small buff. One is defensively helping you react and the other offensively buffs the caster but doesn't give the damage upfront.

3. Healing as a magesorc begs you to always wear a pet, dark convert, do crit damage every second or back bar a restoration staff. In Non CP to crit damage every second is virtually impossible unless you spec for a high crit build. Pets glitch around and have to be double barred to be viable. Dark conversion is not fast enough and cost stamina( which is guaranteed hard stun on a magesorc after few uses and doing some little sprinting, break free, blocking). Using a restoration staff is not so bad but every other class can opt for other weapon combinations in their choice for their back bar to provide other types of build diversity like: perhaps a 2H for snare immunity while casting forward momentum or sword & board for an extra defensive layer with deflective stance. Perhaps buff power surge to heal everytime a dot is ticking or increase the healing you get from it or for dark conversion to take health or part of your hardened ward when you cast it to heal and replenish magicka ☆ but is instantly active like vigor or breath of life☆.

4. Bound Aegis changes with the non toggle are good but honestly people use inner light for the major prophecy buff when weighing the benefits against the bound Aegis skill. Perhaps take off the increase blocking reduction when toggled and change it for something like a buff to skills under sorcerer class or embue your self with magic that applies minor berzerk or 10% damage buff for 3s on every attack after toggled. That way you have the option to get crit chance buff from mages guild "Inner light" or an extra or 8% damage buff while toggling "Bound Aegis" on the bar. I guess you can reduce the max magicka you get from bound aegis to 5% to compete with the 5% from inner light.

From Offensive side:

1. Damage Skills are well balanced; any further changes would overpower or hurt the class Balance.

2. The empower changes on Summerset substantially affected this class burst combos 》 which in case made fights last longer 》which in turns enters into problematic survivability issues when running out of resources therefore limiting the casting of mitigation skills when faced with multiple opponents at the same time.

In PVP The class needs to wear light to perform better in damage dealing, resource managing and mitigating so the defensive changes aforementioned passively increases the damage for the class to better perform in outnumbered situations and do well against other classes with access to most playstyles that allows super tankyness, resource return and decent burst damage combos even in outnumbered situations. Sorcs needs to focus on weeding out targets with the single target burst while also casting to defend itself and somehow hope resources last long enough to live to tell about it.

In CP every other class can go tanky and still do decent damage. A sorc main mitigation stems from having shields up and being able to cast to either quickly kill opponents and hop on the next or streak and run to single out players chasing( which begs to ask if thats really all that a magesorc is designed to do to compete against multiple players).
    Edited by X3NTU on July 3, 2018 7:45AM
  • bardx86
    bardx86
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thats the whole point of a sorcs burst is to time it all. It actually one of the bright spots of the sorcs skills. Can we stop nerfing every god dam sorcs skill now?
    Edited by bardx86 on July 3, 2018 3:53AM
  • IAVITNI
    IAVITNI
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Most have a very poor understanding of magsorc in PvP. Which is fine, most people do because the class is so unique in the way it mitigates and outputs damage.

Your suggested change (alone) would make the sorc class 100% useless in PvP.

Removing Rune Cage from the equation (the only skill that is actually overpowered in the magsorc kit) if a sorc does not land their frag, fury won't go off in the first place. Sorcs have 0-to-low pressure, only burst. This changes the way you play against a sorc relative to other classes. Whereas vs any other class you can turtle both before and after burst, you can only turtle before a magsorcs burst. All you have to do is turtle up 1 gcd before curse goes off and I promise you will never die 1v1, resources permitting. However, "potential" pressure is the only pressure magsorcs actually have. There's no real damage outside of a frag+curse+fury combo. ofc this is only if you disregard rune cage, which WILL be nerfed.

Most players aren't going to die to a single curse fury frag combo. Hell, good/average players can consistently survive a curse->fury>rune->frag combo, yes even in medium in open world. Curse and frag alone aren't going to get anyone (decent) into execute if the pressure of an instant death isn't there. So if Fury can't be pre-casted magsorcs would need a class spammable.

Which brings us to the next point. Sorcs cannot afford a class spammable in their current state. shields last 6 seconds which is just enough to get us through our offensive rotation, after which our shields wear off if we actually commit to a burst. Their is simply no time to use a spammable in the same way you can spam SA, Jabs, whips, birds. Unlike other classes, if a magsorc gets hit with their shields down, their pretty much dead. I can afford to not cast vigor for 1 gcd or two on a medium/heavy armor build (all classes) and sorcs only defence is shields open world. Mines is very niche and mostly for duels.

Going the other route of increasing Fury damage and threshold, at that point magblade wins in every aspect.

TL;DR:
    If you nerf fury you need to either--give sorcs a class spammable and increase shield length and duration or increase Fury damage and threshold and remove delay, at which point sorc plays like a crappy but tanky version of a magblade. Last time that happened ZoS gave us Rune Cage. Ask yourself if you want a repeat of that...

Alternatively, people could L2P but that's probably asking too much of this community.
  • Fiktius
    Fiktius
    ✭✭✭✭
    There's no need to explain to me how does Sorcerer gameplay work, since I do play one by myself in PvP as well. ;)
    That's actually a reason why I came here to leave my feedback, which I did at previous page.
    My own suggestion might not be something which everyone agree on, but hey, that's exactly as much as I expected.

Some players can do well without certain skill combinations and some are sticking with their current combos and unable to find nothing wrong from that. It's working well, so why there should be anything wrong? In eyes of many there is nothing wrong. That's matter of perspective.
    However I'm aware that there are as many opinions as players in the community and there's no way everyone can agree 100 % about everything and that's fine as it is. People have right for their opinion, no matter how bad it is.
    Is there however need to tell everyone "L2P", because their opinion variate or they are using different playstyle? Is there a "L2P" issue for those who are sticking with current burst stacking combos with Mage's Wrath or should that be said to someone who's landing excellent kills without Wrath? No, no and no.

My original purpose here was leaving two pain points, which I already did, so I agree to disagree with people who does not share the same opinion with me and I'm done here. :)
    Edited by Fiktius on July 3, 2018 11:51AM
  • _Salty_
    _Salty_
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My two pain points have probably all been stated over and over from a stamsorc point of view.

1. Most of the passives are mag focused and add nothing to the stamsorc tool kit.

2. Only 1 stam skill besides bound and dark deal. Outclassed by NB and Templar.
    Psn l---Salty---l

Patiently waiting to make a Stankcromancer.
  • Facefister
    Facefister
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    _Salty_ wrote: »
    My two pain points have probably all been stated over and over from a stamsorc point of view.

1. Most of the passives are mag focused and add nothing to the stamsorc tool kit.

This. StamSorc needs more Stamina mophs, especially a spammable. Suggestion would be a spammable and a dot(maybe even paired with the spammable) which gives minor breach+fracture.

Edit: Change the visuals of Hurricane. Character becomes "invisible" when stacking or standing on certain colors.
    Edited by Facefister on July 3, 2018 5:57PM
  • Tonturri
    Tonturri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1) Passives vary wildly between somewhat useful to rather specific builds and totally useless to almost all setups (Main offender, Implosion - it's OP, but only if it proc, which it does so very rarely). And if a passive is somehow useful to a build, it's a struggle to effectively make use of it (8% increase to health from running pet - if you run a pet you kinda have to build around the pet).

2) The class as a whole has conflicting parts - where other classes have offense and defense they can 'layer' together, sorc's offensive and defensive options cannot be layered together. In fact, they all conflict. We can't even layer offensive options together or defensive options together, and THOSE almost always conflict. With shields up things aren't hitting our health, so we don't need healing while the shield is up. Blocking - encouraged by the Persistence passive - doesn't do anything while a shield is up. If we're being mobile, we're just plain avoiding attacks, so there's nothing to block. Surge would be nice if we could proc it with any regularity using DoTs, but magsorcs (stamsorcs can get pretty good use out of it actually) have very little, if often zero, access to DoTs in a pvp setting.

Edited by Tonturri on July 4, 2018 3:12AM
  • TheUndeadAmulet
    TheUndeadAmulet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello PvE sorc tank here.

1. Clanfear heal costs too much for what it does. Although it is a strong heal you can only use three before you run completely out of mag. Needs its cost reduced massively, 7k cost is too much.
    2. Bound armor, although a good idea, doesn't work the best in practise. Casting it costs a lot for little gain. Maybe make the ability a smaller buff but for a longer duration?
    XBOX NA 1000+ CP
    nerf ping please
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Voxicity wrote: »
    Overpowered class with the highest burst damage, highest sustain and highest defence

Also streak is too effective and needs an even higher cost increase

Overpowered class with the highest burst damage, highest sustain and highest defence
    Rofl. Play the tutorials NBs.
    Magic sorc is easily underpowered class probably behind Magicka warden. In PVE NBs requires serious nerf or buff other classes. NBs easily outperform other classes by huge 15K dps . No wonder all Trial dps is only NBs. All other classes dps instant kick . In PVP except NB no other class can kill in 2 seconds.
    Many sorc already left the class including me.
    Still noob NBs not worry about the game and looking for more cheese. I am cheese lover. 50k dps from NB is really nice. I love to kick other class dps. ZOs love for NB will continue forever even all become NBS. Its waste of time to even discuss other classes.
    My advice : - All switch to NB main. Trust me you dont regret. I didnt.
    How the tables have turned. I remember doing trials and people only wanted sorcs.
    ll_Rev wrote: »

Played sorc for as long as I remember, no they don’t need a shock spammable.

Since beta februari 2014 I am annoyed by the fact that sorcerer is the only class without spammable.
    It just doesnt make sense, if any class would be able to deal instant dmg with a spell it should be the sorcerer.

For me personally magsorc feels more like a warlock and magicka NB feels like a proper ranged sorcerer.
    I wouldnt recommend sorc for anything but pvp or vMA, especially if you dont want to play with pets.
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
  • Toadlok
    Toadlok
    Soul Shriven
    Honestly the biggest problem to me seems that Daedric Summoning as a whole needs a complete rework. The damage shield is the only ability that seems regularly used in more than one build and that's a shame considering how core daedric summoning is to the Elder Scrolls.

As someone mentioned before, there needs to be good stamina options in there, and better magicka ones. Maybe making some fire and forget magicka ranged pets that you could pump out and last for 10 - 20 seconds like the Storm Atronach would be neat.
  • Somber97866
    Somber97866
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ( PVE )
    1: TO hit as hard as magblades again ( without useless pet ) Single target burst damage is almost non existant.
    2: Better sustain
    3: High elf sorc's ( in my opinion ) should always hit hardest. Ppl are running Dark elf ( duel inferno ) to be able to actually compete in dps ( so sad )
  • Gallagher563
    Gallagher563
    ✭✭✭
    Facefister wrote: »
    _Salty_ wrote: »

This. StamSorc needs more Stamina mophs, especially a spammable. Suggestion would be a spammable and a dot(maybe even paired with the spammable) which gives minor breach+fracture.

Edit: Change the visuals of Hurricane. Character becomes "invisible" when stacking or standing on certain colors.

I would love a stamina spamable that has a chance to proc implosion. Magicka Sorcs get an execute and at least get crystal frags both dps abilities that have no stamina morphs.