The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

[Class Rep] Sorcerer Feedback Thread

• RinaldoGandolphi
    RinaldoGandolphi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    You guys do realize that Power Surge does give Major Sorcery still, I tested it last night on PC-NA live, its in the tooltip, and it increases Spell Damage by 20%

Power Surge is better now on live than it ever was before.

If your healer, its money when used with Resto Regeneration

If your doing VMA you can back bar a resto and Power Surge + Radiating Regen = an insane amount of healing as Surge will heal every time Regen crits, you can just ignore the spinning blades in roud two of VMA for example with no damage shield at all. its nuts how much self healing you get, Critical Surge is trash in comparison due to this Resto Staff + Power Surge synergy.

In PVP the Power Surge + Radiating Regen gives Mag Sorcs more healing and HOT capability than they ever had before, and combined with shields make them the best class in the game outside of templars to deal with DOTS.

The change to Power Surge was a HUGE buff to the skill. I am surprised more people don't see this. in 4 man dungeons and 12 man trials, you don't need the healing like you got from the old Power Surge or Critical Surge because you have dedicated healers in those cases. Its easier to solo word bosses, and reg dungeons than ever before with the new Power Surge + Regen synergy. Its literally like 500% more healing than the old Power Surge. It also makes VMA much more manageable in many cases because you can get the healing proc from Surge if your dealing damage or not which is very nice.

this is one of those cases folks need to give things a chance. This is one of the few changes they got right this patch.
    Rinaldo Gandolphi-Breton Sorcerer Daggerfall Covenant
    Juste Gandolphi Dark Elf Templar Daggerfall Covenant
    Richter Gandolphi - Dark Elf Dragonknight Daggerfall Covenant
    Mathias Gandolphi - Breton Nightblade Daggerfall Covenant
    RinaldoGandolphi - High Elf Sorcerer Aldmeri Dominion
    Officer Fire and Ice
    Co-GM - MVP

Sorcerer's - The ONLY class in the game that is punished for using its class defining skill (Bolt Escape)

"Here in his shrine, that they have forgotten. Here do we toil, that we might remember. By night we reclaim, what by day was stolen. Far from ourselves, he grows ever near to us. Our eyes once were blinded, now through him do we see. Our hands once were idle, now through them does he speak. And when the world shall listen, and when the world shall see, and when the world remembers, that world will cease to be. - Miraak

• Gabe42
    Gabe42
    I still I think its unfair that critical surge doesn't give major sorcery. Is there a good reason for it? I haven't played a stamsorcer yet. I guess you don't have the shields or the option of a heal pet. But you have more stamina to dodge, while also needing it more for your dmg. On the other hand you can get a passive heal and shields from 2h skills. Also is vigor is a nice heal that doesn't require a specific weapon or 2 slots for a pet.

On the topic of vMA:

I did vMA a few times on Sunday and Monday, after only having finished it once before at the start of 2019. It was much easier for me, but my gear and cp got better (~720 now), too. Best run was 531213 points 54:04 minutes with one death. For defense I got health mundus and health+magicka food. With this combination I get 14k+ shields + shields from iceheart + crit heals.

My build was Mother's Sorrow + Necropotence + Iceheart with Inferno Staff FB (precise) + Lightning Staff BB (Infused with Spelldmg Enchant)
    FB: Crushing Shock, Crystal Fragments, Degeneration, Volatile Familiar, Hardened Ward + Temporal Guard
    BB: Critical Surge, Boundless Storm, Unstable Wall of Elements, Volatile Familiar, Dark Conversion + Elemental Rage

You could try to switch Degeneration for Inner Light. If you put Degeneration on a high health target and then switch to nuking other mobs or using aoe you get quite some damage out of it though. Also nice for nuking bosses.
  • Idinuse
    Idinuse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You guys do realize that Power Surge does give Major Sorcery still, I tested it last night on PC-NA live, its in the tooltip, and it increases Spell Damage by 20%

If your doing VMA you can back bar a resto and Power Surge + Radiating Regen = an insane amount of healing as Surge will heal every time Regen crits, you can just ignore the spinning blades in roud two of VMA for example with no damage shield at all. its nuts how much self healing you get, Critical Surge is trash in comparison due to this Resto Staff + Power Surge synergy.

In PVP the Power Surge + Radiating Regen gives Mag Sorcs more healing and HOT capability than they ever had before, and combined with shields make them the best class in the game outside of templars to deal with DOTS.

The change to Power Surge was a HUGE buff to the skill. I am surprised more people don't see this. in 4 man dungeons and 12 man trials, you don't need the healing like you got from the old Power Surge or Critical Surge because you have dedicated healers in those cases. Its easier to solo word bosses, and reg dungeons than ever before with the new Power Surge + Regen synergy. Its literally like 500% more healing than the old Power Surge. It also makes VMA much more manageable in many cases because you can get the healing proc from Surge if your dealing damage or not which is very nice.

this is one of those cases folks need to give things a chance. This is one of the few changes they got right this patch.

I do see your point. However, as a pure DPS and mainly PvP for 5 years, I'm really tired of Zos shoe hornig us DDs to using a Resto. We only have 1 offensive weapon to begin with, and I really want my single target Inferno on front and AoE Lightning Staff on back bar. I hope a more balanced solution is in the stars for us. Maybe a Magicka Vigor in one of the guild skill trees. My view point here of course not being 24 man raid/Zerg but small man/solo.

But I agree, it's a good combo, as you say. I'd just like to see that along with a tad bit more diversity e.g. a really good mag heal skill independent of weapon choice.
    Sed ut perspiciatis unde omnis iste natus error sit voluptatem accusantium dolorem que laudantium, totam rem aperiam, eaque ipsa quae ab illo inventore veritatis et quasi architecto beatae vitae dicta sunt explicabo. Nemo enim ipsam voluptatem quia voluptas sit aspernatur aut odit aut fugit, sed quia consequuntur magni dolores eos qui ratione voluptatem sequi nesciunt. Neque porro quisquam est, qui dolorem ipsum quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non numquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem. Ut enim ad minima veniam, quis nostrum exercitationem ullam corporis suscipit laboriosam, nisi ut aliquid ex ea commodi consequatur? Quis autem vel eum iure reprehenderit qui in ea voluptate velit esse quam nihil molestiae consequatur, vel illum qui dolorem eum fugiat quo voluptas nulla pariatur?
  • Heymexa
    Heymexa
    ✭✭✭
    PVE Magicka Sorc is Dead. TY Mr. Wrobel

1 year later...

Last Patch: Elsweir

1. Daedrick Prey nerf
    2. Twinlight UP!

M. Sorc = good DPS

This Patch:
    1. Twinlight nerfed -69%
    2. Daedrick prey ???? Hello, ZOS????

TY ZOS. I go to play another game.
    Edited by Heymexa on August 21, 2019 1:09PM
  • Idhendryon

I think that most people here know that Power Surge still gives Major Sorcery, it's just that many do not want to use a healing staff as a damage dealer. And the whole issue could have been very easily avoided by just also giving Major Sorcery to Crit Surge.

If you care for such things, it's strange that a sorcerer can't have easy access to Major Sorcery within their skill set, and that the only way to get it at the moment is through other means (potions, mage skill line etc.) or via a healing skill.
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, no.
    New Power Surge should be a third of the healing it used to be. And it is not difficult to proc Crit Surge with all those DoTs. And no DD slots a resto. Even in vMA it's questionable at best. Good for your first flawless, but a detriment to score runs.
    Even though pots and Entropy are the way to go for Major Sorcery, there's really no rational reasoning why Crit Surge wasn't given that effect.
  • kind_hero
    kind_hero
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Power surge working with heals is odd for sorcs, because it is a skill from a damage dealing line... So you don't expect that to be there. Also, I don't want to run a resto staff. I want to use my vMA staff on the back bar, not a resto staff. OK, many players do not have a vMA staff, but still, why make them use a resto staff instead of a damage one?

You can play however you like, but the game creates these rails for you so everyone tends to go on the same train, to use the same abilities which work best.
    [PC/EU] Tamriel Hero, Stormproof, Grand Master Crafter
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorcerer
    Storm Calling
    Overload: Reduced the damage dealt of this ability and its morphs’ Heavy Attack by approximately 25% per tick. The radius of these attacks will now properly respect their telegraphs, and have been reduced to the following;
    Overload and Energy Overload: 4 x 6 meters, down from 4 x 15 meters
    Power Overload: 6 x 8 meters, down from 6 x 15 meters

So ZOS really wanted to make sure nobody ever presses overload heavy again.

25% dmg + 50% range nerf.

This actually shows that there is 0.0 interest on the dev side to work the ability into a state where it´s not op (it was op) but still useable.
    Now it´s just absolute garbage.
    <Noricum>
    I live. I die. I live again.

Derra - DC - Sorc - AvA 50
    Derrah - EP - Sorc - AvA 50

• Emma_Overload
    Emma_Overload
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Out of ALL the things they could have nerfed... they picked out a Sorc ultimate?

How could they be any worse?
    #CAREBEARMASTERRACE
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Out of ALL the things they could have nerfed... they picked out a Sorc ultimate?

Well it was OP. No arguing around that.

What grinds my gears is that there isn´t the slightest hint of actually wanting the ability to be useable but not over performing.
    They simply trashed it completely.
    How do devs expect players to react to that? It just shows absolute disregard of their own product and their customers.

How do they expect players to give reasonable or meaningful feedback on such changes.
    It´s idiotic. If things you do are idiotic bandaids - guess whats going to happen? People will eventually call you an idiot - and then the players are blamed for giving no reasonable feedback? How can you expect reasonable feedback when you make no reasonable changes?

I just don´t get the mentality of making changes of this magnitude.
    Edited by Derra on August 23, 2019 10:48AM
    <Noricum>

• Bashev
    Bashev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Derra wrote: »

What grinds my gears is that there isn´t the slightest hint of actually wanting the ability to be useable but not over performing.
    How do devs expect players to react to that? It just shows absolute disregard of their own product and their customers.

How do they expect players to give reasonable or meaningful feedback on such changes.
    It´s idiotic. If things you do are idiotic bandaids - guess whats going to happen? People will eventually call you an idiot - and then the players are blamed for giving no reasonable feedback? How can you expect reasonable feedback when you make no reasonable changes?

I really doubt that ZoS will make a major change to a skill in an incremental patch (outside of PTS cycle). We have to be glad if they even make a change which is not a bug fix.

I think this is their policy which I dont approve.
    Because I can!
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bashev wrote: »

I really doubt that ZoS will make a major change to a skill in an incremental patch (outside of PTS cycle). We have to be glad if they even make a change which is not a bug fix.

They did just make a major change to a skill in an incremental patch?

The biggest joke is nobody even asked for 70% off balance dmg + uninterruptable on overload heavies in the first place.
    It´s just one big WHY?
    Why even begin to mess with sth if you have no interest in bringing it to a balanced state. Why buff it to narnia just to nerf it into oblivion 12 days later.
    The changes made to overload over the past 12 days are almost schizophrenic in nature. There is not even the slightest hint of what they want the ability to be or why they made any changes to begin with.
    Edited by Derra on August 23, 2019 10:49AM
    <Noricum>

• chiipso
    chiipso
    ✭✭✭
    RIP overload. Back in the “never to be used” pile you go.
  • Calboy
    Calboy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just cannot understand the mind set of the devs of this game, its either 0 or 100, no inbetween. Overload heavy was finally being used and its instantly nerfed to a state where no one will ever use it instead of toning it down a bit. I actually think whoever makes these decisions is someone who has all the qualifications but simply does not understand gaming let alone eso.
  • pdblake
    pdblake
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Calboy wrote: »
    I just cannot understand the mind set of the devs of this game, its either 0 or 100, no inbetween. Overload heavy was finally being used and its instantly nerfed to a state where no one will ever use it instead of toning it down a bit. I actually think whoever makes these decisions is someone who has all the qualifications but simply does not understand gaming let alone eso.

I've been using Overload a bit lately. It did feel OP in PvE, but I think knocking it back by 25% is far too much. And why reduce the range at all. You're throwing lightning about. Ever seen lightning? It goes a long way.
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    chiipso wrote: »
    Who cares about overload....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGt-t2D4nyM
    Poor Sorc... Not broken at all.... :D:D
  • chiipso
    chiipso
    ✭✭✭
    Ok ZOS to bring everything back in line, you now need to fix it so that all off balanced targets hit by overload “heavy attack” are stunned. As an off balance target hit by a heavy attack should be stunned, no? 😂
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    chiipso wrote: »
    Who cares about overload....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGt-t2D4nyM
    Poor Sorc... Not broken at all.... :D:D

Why post a video about a build from last patch though?
    <Noricum>

• pdblake
    pdblake
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh yeah, and why is my Clannfear (since last update) suddenly so squishy? It dies an awful lot more than it did before the update. Did ZOS mess up the resistances like they did last time?
  • Bashev
    Bashev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Bashev wrote: »

They did just make a major change to a skill in an incremental patch?

The biggest joke is nobody even asked for 70% off balance dmg + uninterruptable on overload heavies in the first place.
    It´s just one big WHY?
    Why even begin to mess with sth if you have no interest in bringing it to a balanced state. Why buff it to narnia just to nerf it into oblivion 12 days later.
    The changes made to overload over the past 12 days are almost schizophrenic in nature. There is not even the slightest hint of what they want the ability to be or why they made any changes to begin with.

What major change, Derra?
    If you are talking about Overload this is not a major change for me. This is just adjusting a few variables. So ZoS should not be worried so much for new bugs with that change, although knowing them that range parameters could break a lot of things.
    Because I can!
  • gepe87
    gepe87
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crybabies made it again.
    It was funny to use HA Overload.
    Every sorc buff is amplified by 100 through other classes point of view.
    Gepe, Dunmer MagSorc Pact Grand Overlord | Gaepe, Bosmer MagSorc Dominion General

If you see edits on my replies: typos. English isn't my main language
  • CambionDaemon
    CambionDaemon
    ✭✭✭
    So with all of the changes and nerfs to my skills, when do I get buffs and class skills that are actually good and (more importantly) make me feel like a SORCERER!!!
  • Idinuse
    Idinuse
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, a myriad of Stam Skills now outperfom one of 2-ish offensive Sorcerer Ultimates. What a joke. Glad I now main a Satmina Necro and still have my 20K Poison Injections through 32K resistance and 3.3K critical resistance. That will never change.

But some people clearly have a fast lane communication to ZOS that us plebs don't...it's embarrassing.
    Edited by Idinuse on August 23, 2019 1:52PM
    Sed ut perspiciatis unde omnis iste natus error sit voluptatem accusantium dolorem que laudantium, totam rem aperiam, eaque ipsa quae ab illo inventore veritatis et quasi architecto beatae vitae dicta sunt explicabo. Nemo enim ipsam voluptatem quia voluptas sit aspernatur aut odit aut fugit, sed quia consequuntur magni dolores eos qui ratione voluptatem sequi nesciunt. Neque porro quisquam est, qui dolorem ipsum quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non numquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem. Ut enim ad minima veniam, quis nostrum exercitationem ullam corporis suscipit laboriosam, nisi ut aliquid ex ea commodi consequatur? Quis autem vel eum iure reprehenderit qui in ea voluptate velit esse quam nihil molestiae consequatur, vel illum qui dolorem eum fugiat quo voluptas nulla pariatur?
  • maxjapank
    maxjapank
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I had a feeling that they would nerf the damage of the skill. They should have made it not interact with off balance. That was the only thing that made it over powerful. But I don't think they have the knowledge to code it. So they did a blanket nerf. It's sad that they continue to screw up skills.
    Edited by maxjapank on August 23, 2019 2:47PM
  • Major_Lag
    Major_Lag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's been at least 2 "maintenance" patches already, and still no Major Sorcery on Crit Surge. And now also the Overload nerf...

Thanks for my "new" crafting/mule alt, @ZOS :#
  • Pdoherty4637_ESO
    Pdoherty4637_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Just to play devil's advocate a bit here, the initial buffs to overload regarding heavy attack damage and being uninterruptible seem to fit in with the whole "ability audit" and making a standard for the way similar abilities interact with game mechanics. Other channeled ultimates like soul assault and toxic barrage cannot be interrupted so that change was made to standardize all channeled ultimates. Since the channel is a heavy attack, and all heavy attacks are supposed to interact with off-balance, it now does so. We have seen this type of standard-adherence based balance constantly with this new combat team.

The nerfs to OL heavy in 5.1.7, while admittedly a bit too heavy handed, were honestly deserved. The skill was undoubtedly over-performing under those circumstances. It may look like ZOS buff-nerf Yo-Yo'd the skill for no reason, but it now adheres to their standards which seems to be their overarching goal for this years changes. Also, while a target is off balance the skill will still do more damage than before that change was implemented. From an animation standpoint, the range you can be affected by power OL heavies especially made zero intuitive sense and it was almost impossible to tell if you were in range or not as the actual distance you could be damaged was something like 2-3 times the distance of the actual animation.

• Pdoherty4637_ESO
    Pdoherty4637_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Now, that said, I HATE overload in its current form and I've already written too many TL;DR posts about why. The ability needs a complete and total rework into something useful. Its awful and clunky to use in PVP, and not a good DPS option in PVE. It is a great candidate for a non-pet based damage ultimate that could make effective use of morph choice to give PVP mag sorc useful low cost class-based burst, and PVE non-pet mag sorc a unique option for a competitive single target DPS ultimate.

Overload has completely lost its identity and uniqueness with the removal of the 3rd bar, and ever since the severe damage reduction the risk-reward equation is juts not there anymore. Why try to land a light attack when you will have 5 misses for every one you land and the one you do hit is only 1-2k more damage than a regular light attack and generate no ultimate while you do it? Why heavy attack (after 5.1.7 nerfs) when shock clench spam is more aoe damage than an overload heavy. Really, why even use the ultimate? If i'm being honest, I would take the 3rd bar, no weapon skills, high damage overload back in a second.
  • Aurie
    Aurie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, yet another kick in the gut for Sorcerers. And as ever, following people bleating about a nerf for Overload. Why do ZOS hate Sorcerers so much?

When will it stop?
  • Aedrion
    Aedrion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks ZoS. After DB became a laggy piece of garbage, I was testing this out and not sure whether I should like it or not. You made my choice easier and made it useless.

I used to think the Dev's were onto something but now I'm joining the masses of people decrying how this clueless team of schizo's keep ruining our game. Nerf everything, make everything feel boring to use until each skill is just numbers with no feels.

• chiipso
    chiipso
    ✭✭✭
    Tbh the people that cried about overload being overpowered only came across players that completely specced everything into boosting heavy attack damage. Sacrificing everything else to get decent burst damage numbers.

-melee range
    -no sustain
    -no survivability
    -completely vulnerable while channeling the attack.

Not to mention the skill being:
    -buggy (half the time didn’t cast)
    -range inconsistent, sometimes would miss a target right in front of you.

Anyway.. risk/reward.. which I believe makes for a better pvp meta than the dot/heal meta we have right now!

But nvm let’s just nerf another play style.