The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

[Class Rep] Dragonknight Feedback Thread

• Savos_Saren
    Savos_Saren
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Madrax573 wrote: »
    I'd be quite happy if DK's were the DOT class. I'd happily stack some light DOT's then augment the damage with physical or staff attacks... But the DOT's are pretty lacklustre and the need to split resources really hampers them from what I've experienced so far.

I do enjoy my DK though so will keep going and trying different ways to play him.

It's not just the fact that DOTs are lackluster- but they can also be cloaked through. So, our DOTs are completely mitigated while NBs use cloak. I still think that previously applied DOTs should tick on a NB without revealing them. Then the NB has to make a decision to reengage the fight (which the currently do everytime)- but at lower health OR they can completely disengage to heal up at a distance then reengage.
    Want to enjoy the game more? Try both PvP (crybabies) and PvE (carebears). You'll get a better perspective on everyone's opinion.

PC NA AD
    Savos Saren
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'd be quite happy if DK's were the DOT class. I'd happily stack some light DOT's then augment the damage with physical or staff attacks... But the DOT's are pretty lacklustre and the need to split resources really hampers them from what I've experienced so far.

I do enjoy my DK though so will keep going and trying different ways to play him.

It's not just the fact that DOTs are lackluster- but they can also be cloaked through. So, our DOTs are completely mitigated while NBs use cloak. I still think that previously applied DOTs should tick on a NB without revealing them. Then the NB has to make a decision to reengage the fight (which the currently do everytime)- but at lower health OR they can completely disengage to heal up at a distance then reengage.

Dotblade next patch is gonna be a thing. There were some interesting builds around it and now with spammable cripple is gona be even better
    Sarcasm is something too serious to be taken lightly

I was born with the wrong sign
    In the wrong house
    With the wrong ascendancy
    I took the wrong road
    That led to the wrong tendencies
    I was in the wrong place at the wrong time
    For the wrong reason and the wrong rhyme
    On the wrong day of the wrong week
    Used the wrong method with the wrong technique
  • juhislihis19
    juhislihis19
    ✭✭✭✭
    Xvorg wrote: »

Dotblade next patch is gonna be a thing. There were some interesting builds around it and now with spammable cripple is gona be even better

Waait wait. Cloaks purge DOTs?! Or that during being invisible, DOTs don't work?
  • TrinityBreaker
    TrinityBreaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Waait wait. Cloaks purge DOTs?! Or that during being invisible, DOTs don't work?

Once upon a time cloak used to purge DoTs. Now it suppress them.
    Edited by TrinityBreaker on April 25, 2019 6:22AM
    Ebonheart for life.
    Xbox NA
    I am Dog Star.

Khajiit Stam Sorc - Ji'saad Ranajiradh AR 30
    Khajiit Mag DK - Kesjhad
    Khajiit Magblade - Ji'sava Ak'nir
    Fat Khajiit Stamplar - Dro'haniAk'nir - AR 36
    Khajiit Stam Dk - Diego Ri'jhad - AR 49
    Khajiit Magplar - Dro'nara Ak'nir
    Khajiit StamBlade - Ri'artharr Ak'nir
    Fat Khajiit Stamden - Dro'hani Warbreaker
    Argonian Stam DK - Tiberius Demetros
    Khajiit Stamplar - Diëgo Ri'jhad
    Fat Khajiit Stam DK - Drö'hani Ak'nir/Dances-With-Alkosh
    Khajiit Magden - Arctic Mayhem

• cpuScientist
    cpuScientist
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This I so agree is my biggest gripe. Cloak is toooo stacked. Going invisible alone is such a boon. Why to must my dots be supressed. I always felt that was a weird mechanic, if anything I would say you should take extra damage. If not just normal damage when cloaked from dots. Especially with them getting a snare removal skill, cloak really should lose the dot supression.

MagSorc curse doesn't get supressed it still pops them out of stealth. Sorry that's overloaded and affects DK's in particular far more than any other class by FAR.
  • Zer0_CooL
    Zer0_CooL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a MagDK i wish for:

-Stronger class heal
    -Execute skill (e.g. Inhale deals additional dmg to enemys under 20% HP)
  • Madrax573
    Madrax573
    ✭✭✭
    What does 'suppression' do to the DoT's?
    I'm a bomb technician. If you see me running, try to keep up!
  • Beffagorn
    Beffagorn
    ✭✭✭

They miss and deal no damage. If you meant cloak suppressing the dots
    Edited by Beffagorn on April 25, 2019 11:50AM
  • Madrax573
    Madrax573
    ✭✭✭
    Beffagorn wrote: »

They miss and deal no damage. If you meant cloak suppressing the dots

Yeah that is what I was wondering. Well that's a bit OP for cloak isn't it? why can't they continue to do damage just not uncloak them?
  • Beffagorn
    Beffagorn
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah that is what I was wondering. Well that's a bit OP for cloak isn't it? why can't they continue to do damage just not uncloak them?

Yea, i always thought the 100% suppression is a bit too much for cloak. A 50-75% reduction is much more appropriate but honestly, that suppression is probably there for technical difficulties with cloak breaking and is just a bandaid fix for a problem they don't know how to fix.

Just like the new leap snare on the Pts. It bugs 90% of the time and doesn't hit anything if your target moves 1m away so they bandaid fix it with a snare.

• Davadin
    Davadin
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yea, i always thought the 100% suppression is a bit too much for cloak. A 50-75% reduction is much more appropriate but honestly, that suppression is probably there for technical difficulties with cloak breaking and is just a bandaid fix for a problem they don't know how to fix.

Just like the new leap snare on the Pts. It bugs 90% of the time and doesn't hit anything if your target moves 1m away so they bandaid fix it with a snare.
    how does it work exactly? only got chance to try it in PvE and doesn't feel difference.

i am definitely not missing 90% of the time in Live server tho... PvP or PvE....

so if u leap, ur target got snared even when ur still in flight?
    August Palatine Davadin Bloodstrake - Nord Dragon Knight - PC NA - Gray Host
    Greymoor 6.0.7 PvP : Medium 2H/SnB The Destroyer
    Dragonhold 5.2.11 PvE : Medium DW/2H The Blood Furnace
    March 2021 (too lazy to add CP) PvP: Medium DW/Bow The Stabber
  • Beffagorn
    Beffagorn
    ✭✭✭
    Davadin wrote: »
    how does it work exactly? only got chance to try it in PvE and doesn't feel difference.

i am definitely not missing 90% of the time in Live server tho... PvP or PvE....

Lucky you! i stopped using Leap a while back when i started seeing that basically every leap that was not in melee range (basically on top of my target) kept not doing anything. No point in using it when DBOS is stronger (imo) and works all the time. Plus i get some weapon damage from fighter's guild line

I haven't had the chance to test it myself, but basically the target gets a pretty potent snare applied on them until you land to prevent the skill from not doing anything. It's still pretty buggy from what i've seen though.

Edited by Beffagorn on April 25, 2019 6:54PM
  • Davadin
    Davadin
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Lucky you! i stopped using Leap a while back when i started seeing that basically every leap that was not in melee range (basically on top of my target) kept not doing anything. No point in using it when DBOS is stronger (imo) and works all the time. Plus i get some weapon damage from fighter's guild line

I haven't had the chance to test it myself, but basically the target gets a pretty potent snare applied on them until you land to prevent the skill from not doing anything. It's still pretty buggy from what i've seen though.

i'm always torn.

usually end up slotting Leap because it's (slightly) cheaper, and believe it or not, when lag comes into play, having a directional cone is not as accurate as a 360-degree splash zone on where you land.

but yes, in Cyro, if I aim it too far (near max range), I'm about 50-50 whether my target is still there or not.

Considering I don't slot any other gap-closer, even if my Leap missed the damage, it's still good enough to get me closer to sprint and snare.

But yes, DB is also very effective. Just depends on the playstyle.

Or, yes, slot both of them lol....
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Not anymore, but you can still make use of that feature with some sets

In any case, NB next patch will be able to put some nasty DoTs from 28mts and with a higher crit chance

In the wrong house
    I took the wrong road
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Problem with 75& supression is taht you are not invisible anymore and askin for numbers in the las spot the NB was seen could cause apocalypsis due to spaghetti code.

The purge was a good solution back in the time... in fact for some time we asked for a purge on wings ...

In the wrong house
    I took the wrong road
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Imho corrosive armor is better than both BUT it costs a lot. If it was a 150 Ulti it would have much more use on stamDK

In the wrong house
    I took the wrong road
  • Madrax573
    Madrax573
    ✭✭✭

Not anymore, but you can still make use of that feature with some sets

In any case, NB next patch will be able to put some nasty DoTs from 28mts and with a higher crit chance

So NB's will be able to do crazy DD, long range DOT's with good crit and awesome executes?

Add in great mobility with cloak etc...…

Am I missing something or does this seem a bit much?
  • juhislihis19
    juhislihis19
    ✭✭✭✭

Hahahaha I called this right after patch notes! I stated that the only reason Leap got "buffed" was because ZOS weren't able to fix Leap!

I said instead of fixing the extremely unreliable target hit, they increased the range and added "aggressive snare" (whatever that means), which of course means nothing when Leap is still missing.

Laughable ZOS, just laughable.
  • nihoumab14_ESO
    nihoumab14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I'm new to ESO, but leveling Dragonknight. I thought I'd be able to heal as them, but in pvp I just can't do the same kind of healing as I can on a templar. I used to think at least I had a ranged stun, but templar has that too. And I thought major mending is cool, but everyone gets that through the restoration skill line :/ I leveled this character to 39 just to realize they can't heal well. ZOS should say that a class can't be a healer if they are just worse than everything else and don't give anything unique
  • Toc de Malsvi
    Toc de Malsvi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I posted this in another thread but I wanted to post here as I am unsure if that thread will survive.

I don't think stam Whip does much other than make some players enjoy the class more.

Stam DK dot's are not powerful enough to be the "DOT class", Stam DK doesn't have much passive synergy with its own dots. Combustion is weak, not only is poisoned status effect weaker than Burning but it proc's less often when destro staff passives are taken into account. Warmth is kind of a joke, you already have to be on the target to snare them in most cases and you don't really need a snare if you are on top of them. Searing Heat is a duration booster that could/should just be baked into the skills themselves. World in Ruin is primarily significant on skills the majority of Stam DK's are not using.

Helping Hands stam return is tied to costly Mag skills, of which only really 2-3 have any utility. Mountains Blessing ult return and Minor Brutality is tied to the same costly Mag skills. Eternal Mountain is yet another duration buff, two duration buff passives in the same class. Two single target CC's in the same class skill line.

I agree with the sentiment that a DK should be fire not poison. My particular builds benefit greatly from the latest WorldInRuin changes, however it is getting away from what I and many other envisioned when we rolled the class.
    Legendary Archer of Valenwood
    Bosmer Dragon Knight Archer. XBox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Bosmer Nightblade Archer. Xbox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Bosmer Sorcerer Archer. Xbox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Bosmer Warden Archer. Xbox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Templar's are evil..
  • Toc de Malsvi
    Toc de Malsvi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wanted to post a suggestion though. Currently the function of Inferno does not really fill the "dps" skill line role. It is cheap but its more of a heal/buff skill which actually fits the Earthen Heart skill line.

I think a good refit would be to move Inferno to the EH skill line and change the name, but keep essentially the same functionality. One morph is a heal, the other damage. This would give stam DK's a cheap magicka cost skill to take advantage of Helping Hands, but not put a spammable into the EH line. They could even use the current animations for Stone Fist.

Now the damage skill line for DK's has room for another DOT. Whip can be evenly split into stam/mag morphs without hurting mag DK too much in PVE as another powerful dot can be added here. It doesn't have to be a dot exactly, it could be an execute, or it could have some delayed damage function.

I want to reiterate that this isn't the only way something like this could be done, but I think especially the healing morph of Inferno does not fit the Ardent Flame line. It is not benefiting from any of the skill line passives.
    Legendary Archer of Valenwood
    Bosmer Dragon Knight Archer. XBox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Bosmer Nightblade Archer. Xbox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Bosmer Sorcerer Archer. Xbox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Bosmer Warden Archer. Xbox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Templar's are evil..
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I wanted to post a suggestion though. Currently the function of Inferno does not really fill the "dps" skill line role. It is cheap but its more of a heal/buff skill which actually fits the Earthen Heart skill line.

I think a good refit would be to move Inferno to the EH skill line and change the name, but keep essentially the same functionality. One morph is a heal, the other damage. This would give stam DK's a cheap magicka cost skill to take advantage of Helping Hands, but not put a spammable into the EH line. They could even use the current animations for Stone Fist.

Now the damage skill line for DK's has room for another DOT. Whip can be evenly split into stam/mag morphs without hurting mag DK too much in PVE as another powerful dot can be added here. It doesn't have to be a dot exactly, it could be an execute, or it could have some delayed damage function.

I want to reiterate that this isn't the only way something like this could be done, but I think especially the healing morph of Inferno does not fit the Ardent Flame line. It is not benefiting from any of the skill line passives.

hmmm, trading inferno for cinder storm sounds like a good change, however we sould take away CS snare for something else.

Stonefist would be aother option, making obsidian shard a magicka based healig skill, and stone giant an actual stonefist ( a hard hiting stamina based melee punch)... make it physical dmg as good old stonefist or convert it into poisonous touch

Edited by Xvorg on April 27, 2019 1:07AM

In the wrong house
    I took the wrong road
  • JumpmanLane
    JumpmanLane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @IZZEFlameLash While engulfing is difficult to bit sometimes, the damage increase it gives is MASSIVE, even compared to the burst that Breath gives you. I've compared both side by side. While Breath is better in outnumbered fights, its cost to damage isnt really worth it until you have 3 opponents around you. Even then, the heal is pretty weak. If you get used to engulfing's hitbox, it's a great spell.

@Xvorg What is your setup? How does it compare to your set up anand performance on any other classes?

@JumpmanLane Even if talons root is disabled by the opponent, I find minor main to be amazing. And it also helps in repositioning in a 1vX. Not everybody runs root removal.

Last time I played, i used a full heavy lit staff build, oriented to oblivion dmg (torug's infused + knight slayer) and skoria proc. It's a good setup focused on doing dmg with the least resorces available wjile using the same resources for mitigation and healing (my set up had 1.2k magicka recovery). Though I think it's strong for a DK, I can see how other classes could do similar or even better:

1- Sorc: can reach similar numbers, has the option of overload, and synergyzes well with lit dmg. For mitigation they have a class shield (with DK I'm forced to go anullement). Also it reaches more spell dmg for slotting sorc skills.

2- NB: Though it doesn't have major sorc, it has minor minor berserk that not only increases it's dmg with skills, but also skoria proc AND oblivion dmg. Mitigation comes in the form of cloak. They also have a ranged execute and a skill that refunds magicka by doing dmg with heavy attacks. And they can get a much better magicka pool just by slotting siph strikes

3- Templar: Similar to DK in terms of mobility, doesn't have either major sorc neitrhe major berserk, but it do have backlash and 2 great skills to proc skoria such as vamp bane and JB. Minor sorc also helps to put moar dmg

4- Warden. Unfortunately I can't se how warden would be better than the classes above, but they do have Crystal shield (which is an amazing tool).

The only reason why that set up works on DK is because of the extra dmg of molten armamaments, but the extra dmg in PvP is nerfed by BS and mitigation, so the killing is done through oblivion dmg, From that PoV, NB should be much stronger than DK, despite their HA are weaker
    I'm new to ESO, but leveling Dragonknight. I thought I'd be able to heal as them, but in pvp I just can't do the same kind of healing as I can on a templar. I used to think at least I had a ranged stun, but templar has that too. And I thought major mending is cool, but everyone gets that through the restoration skill line :/ I leveled this character to 39 just to realize they can't heal well. ZOS should say that a class can't be a healer if they are just worse than everything else and don't give anything unique

MagDk heals just fine. Heals themselves anyways. And stonefist is a ranged stun (AND a heal...I think can’t recall)...though I wouldn’t slot it over Fossilize. Use a stick for range and mop fools up close. Maybe you’re playing DK wrong...

Embers heals, powerlash heals, cauterize heals, coag heals, Leap heals. If you’re running resto even more heals. But your bread and butter heals are embers and powerlash. Cauterize as your always up buff (just mind who your standing with lol) coag in a pinch or a tri pot.

It takes a bit of skill to play MagDk. You have to DO something to GET something. In this case ATTACK and get your main heals.
    Edited by JumpmanLane on April 27, 2019 5:51AM
  • nihoumab14_ESO
    nihoumab14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    MagDk heals just fine. Heals themselves anyways. And stonefist is a ranged stun (AND a heal...I think can’t recall)...though I wouldn’t slot it over Fossilize. Use a stick for range and mop fools up close. Maybe you’re playing DK wrong...

Embers heals, powerlash heals, cauterize heals, coag heals, Leap heals. If you’re running resto even more heals. But your bread and butter heals are embers and powerlash. Cauterize as your always up buff (just mind who your standing with lol) coag in a pinch or a tri pot.

It takes a bit of skill to play MagDk. You have to DO something to GET something. In this case ATTACK and get your main heals.

Those are all self heals, I'm talking about healing others. In PvE, I do just fine, but I have more success in PVP healing with Templar or Warden. Sure, I have resto staff on any character, but I was hoping Dragonknight would be cool as like a buffer/healer. But apparently all their cool group things arent actually cool group things. Like, when would you use Igneous Weapons? I've been told it shouldn't be used, because it doesn't bring anything new to the table. Is that true? Or is igneous weapons useful?
  • chetter_hummin
    chetter_hummin
    ✭✭✭
    for mag dk pve:

abilities need more damage but elsweyr changes are covering this very nice.
    engulfling needs smth unique for casting dk

for magdk pvp:

reliable way to get major expedition as chains are not
    other problems are again resolved by elsweyr expansion
    dragon blood heal buff is a very good change but secondary effects are kinda useless for a SD/magicka heal
  • JumpmanLane
    JumpmanLane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Those are all self heals, I'm talking about healing others. In PvE, I do just fine, but I have more success in PVP healing with Templar or Warden. Sure, I have resto staff on any character, but I was hoping Dragonknight would be cool as like a buffer/healer. But apparently all their cool group things arent actually cool group things. Like, when would you use Igneous Weapons? I've been told it shouldn't be used, because it doesn't bring anything new to the table. Is that true? Or is igneous weapons useful?

I unno anything about igneous weapons, I don’t use that crap. DON’T USE THAT CRAP.

As, for healing others, I’ll toss em a cauterize in a pinch; but they should be healing themselves and killing stuff. And you should be too.

However, when I was leveling up and ran Destro Resto, I was amazed how much fun healing other people actually was. I was like, “I’m a HEALER!”
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

That is not a bad suggestion by any means, but it might be problematic for them to move a skill from one skill line to another.

Other than they they are really trying their hardest to not give anything new to stamDk for some reason I don't get.(Then again, at least we're not stamsorcs) Currently sDk rotation is the weirdest one in ESO history I believe. Slotting molten whip and spamming noxious breath, it feels like I'm playing some sort of new beta class that is still in early design. Thats how I feel about it.
    Edited by Ragnarock41 on May 2, 2019 5:26PM
  • Davadin
    Davadin
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That is not a bad suggestion by any means, but it might be problematic for them to move a skill from one skill line to another.

Other than they they are really trying their hardest to not give anything new to stamDk for some reason I don't get.(Then again, at least we're not stamsorcs) Currently sDk rotation is the weirdest one in ESO history I believe. Slotting molten whip and spamming noxious breath, it feels like I'm playing some sort of new beta class that is still in early design. Thats how I feel about it.

im trying it out in Live, how do i "feel" about it.

and honestly, it's not too bad.... Ardent Flame is on my DW bar, so i sneaked Rending there too. Then I start spamming NOX...

for big group i swap to 2H bar with my Master Axe and spam Carve....
  • phantasmalD
    phantasmalD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why do DKs have fire themed skills that do Magic damage?
    Particularly speaking about Talons and Inhale here. The synergy for Talons is called Ignite yet it does Magic damage. And Inhale is a straight up fire explosion.
    Obidian Shard is also a flaming rock which does Magic damage.
  • BlackMadara
    BlackMadara
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why do DKs have fire themed skills that do Magic damage?
    Particularly speaking about Talons and Inhale here. The synergy for Talons is called Ignite yet it does Magic damage. And Inhale is a straight up fire explosion.
    Obidian Shard is also a flaming rock which does Magic damage.

Ignite would make sense to do fire damage, but i think its magic due to it being a synergy.

Inhale's explosion does do fire damage.

Obsidian Shard is supposed to be volcanic glass, so magic, or physical, would make sense.