The maintenance is complete and the PTS is now back online. The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test!
The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Strife changes vs. Conjured Ward changes

• Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    NyassaV wrote: »
    Juhasow wrote: »
    Roger_kun wrote: »
    Feanor wrote: »
    The base damage of Strife (1749) and morphs (1803) is close to Force Pulse (3 x 579 = 1737) and more than twice of Elemental Weapon (739).

Strife is not enhanced by the passive race. Strife does not activate the staff's passives. Strife does not increase its damage by 10% magic penetration.

You really do not understand this?

Force Shock doesnt give You healing over time. Force Shock doesnt activate Siphoning passives. Force Shock doesnt give You ultimate for using. Force Shock doesnt give You 8% more magicka when slotted. Force Shock dmg can be reduced by certain race passives like Nords or Dunmers ones.

You really dont understand this ? :trollface:

Do you not understand the healing overtime is sorta shoddy? The healing from Sweeps is better XD

Sweep heal is not any better than strife because for what it does, it costs 3k magicka and it needs to hit the grouped mobs to heal better. 1.8k magicka costing Strife HoT > 2.9k costing Sweep heal. And Sweep does not grant Minor Vitality. Or does more damage than Strife by itself without Burning Light. Which does not heal.

Strife effects one enemy and cannot be stacked, so sweep is much better
    Sarcasm is something too serious to be taken lightly

I was born with the wrong sign
    In the wrong house
    With the wrong ascendancy
    I took the wrong road
    That led to the wrong tendencies
    I was in the wrong place at the wrong time
    For the wrong reason and the wrong rhyme
    On the wrong day of the wrong week
    Used the wrong method with the wrong technique
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    After considering the nerf vs what is left behind, I think mageblades are gone be top dogs everywhere next patch. They just need to adjust some issues.

Some key skills: Merc ressolve, degeneration, elemental weapon, siph attacks, elemental suceptibility . Those 5 skills synergize so well between them that the "nerf NBs" threads are gonna be an issue next patch.

Of course, you can trade elemental weapon for force pulse, but why would you do that? Oh, and of course, Elegance...
    Sarcasm is something too serious to be taken lightly

I was born with the wrong sign
    In the wrong house
    With the wrong ascendancy
    I took the wrong road
    That led to the wrong tendencies
    I was in the wrong place at the wrong time
    For the wrong reason and the wrong rhyme
    On the wrong day of the wrong week
    Used the wrong method with the wrong technique
  • Lucky28
    Lucky28
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xvorg wrote: »
    After considering the nerf vs what is left behind, I think mageblades are gone be top dogs everywhere next patch. They just need to adjust some issues.

Some key skills: Merc ressolve, degeneration, elemental weapon, siph attacks, elemental suceptibility . Those 5 skills synergize so well between them that the "nerf NBs" threads are gonna be an issue next patch.

Of course, you can trade elemental weapon for force pulse, but why would you do that? Oh, and of course, Elegance...

yes because the strife nerf doesn't accomplish anything but to destroy the appeal of a single skill that doesn't really contribute much to magblades high DPS it's a big part of magblades class identity, but a replaceable skill.

it's nothing but a foolish nerf that accomplishes nothing.
    Edited by Lucky28 on May 21, 2018 12:50AM
    Invictus
  • IZZEFlameLash
    IZZEFlameLash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The base damage of Strife (1749) and morphs (1803) is close to Force Pulse (3 x 579 = 1737) and more than twice of Elemental Weapon (739).

Strife is not enhanced by the passive race. Strife does not activate the staff's passives. Strife does not increase its damage by 10% magic penetration.

Force Shock doesnt give You healing over time. Force Shock doesnt activate Siphoning passives. Force Shock doesnt give You ultimate for using. Force Shock doesnt give You 8% more magicka when slotted. Force Shock dmg can be reduced by certain race passives like Nords or Dunmers ones.

Do you not understand the healing overtime is sorta shoddy? The healing from Sweeps is better XD

Sweep heal is not any better than strife because for what it does, it costs 3k magicka and it needs to hit the grouped mobs to heal better. 1.8k magicka costing Strife HoT > 2.9k costing Sweep heal. And Sweep does not grant Minor Vitality. Or does more damage than Strife by itself without Burning Light. Which does not heal.

If you wanna talk about cost:
    Burning embers spam nets 4.5k healing per second and 6.5k DPS
    Strife spam nets 2.5k healing per second and 9k DPS

Not sure about sweeps but the healing from sweeps is better because it's 40ish% of the damage not 25%

And sweeps costs 2.7k if you actually wear clothing. Or do you run around Cyrodiil Naked?

Burning Embers require decent amount of time like Rally to build up unless the target is a potato with no resist. Which, Strife will heal for decent amount time as well.

And if you wanna go about that cost after getting discount from wearing Light Armor, then guess what? Strife costs less than 1.8k in actuality. And Force Shock and its morphs will cost less. What a shocker! Strife is still waaay cheaper than other skills!

Puncturing Sweep deals like miniscule damage per hit, which translates into lesser heal. So... increasing the percentage heals based on damage still don't make it desirable as "Oh ***" heals. It is more or less just a bad HoT. Strife HoT saved me from time to time but Sweep never was a saving grace.

Also, Roger_kun, please do not call people dumb when your own grasp of English is not exceptional. I really did not want to point that out but you were trying to call someone out as dumb or 'pretend'. I also believe that you do not know how mNB DPS works. But Juhan seems to know how.
    Imperials, the one and true masters of all mortal races of Tamriel
  • IZZEFlameLash
    IZZEFlameLash
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Strife effects one enemy and cannot be stacked, so sweep is much better

More stacked enemy = more incoming damage = Sweep automatically heals less comparatively unless in PvE. And each Strife hits harder than Puncturing Sweep, therefore heals much better. If Strife deals about 10k to one target, that is 2.5k heals ticking every 2 seconds. Sweep is much less even though the heal percentage make it look like a better heal. It really isn't. Each 1 hit, deals less than Strife and heals less if we look at just 1 hit. And I don't even think the total amount healed will compare also because Strife is 5 tick HoT, a Sweep hits about 4 times with each hit dealing less damage than Strife which means less heal per damage. So, Strife is still better. Even better if it is morphed to Swallow Soul.
    Edited by IZZEFlameLash on May 21, 2018 4:25AM
    Imperials, the one and true masters of all mortal races of Tamriel
  • JPcrazysquirrel3
    JPcrazysquirrel3
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well, this thread went from "Nerf sorc!" to "Nerf nb!" pretty fast!
    "Wood Elves aren't made of wood. Sea Elves aren't made of water. M'aiq still wonders about High Elves."
    "It's just not a home until you decorate the torture chamber, am I right?"
    "If you want to lose 10lbs of ugly fat, I'd be happy to chop your head off!"
    "Degenerates!" --- Todd Howard
    "If it's not broke, don't fix it,....unless you're ZO$ and are just doing it for the money!" --- Me
    Mayrael wrote: »
    Class reps are just like our politicians. They promise mountains made of gold for us, but in the end, whenever they can they try to push their own agenda.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bio:
    I am in a Kevduit video
    PS4 (main platform)
    --- JP_Dovahkriid

PC (just for PTS since Dragon Bones)
    --- JP_Dovahkriid

Playing since console release in 2015

17 characters; mainly play PvE tanks and healer, as well as PvP stamDK, magplar, and stamblade; I also have a handful of DPS toons to have variety. All AD, with one, now PvE, DC toon.

I was on the forums before, but something happened with my account info and I had to create a new account.
  • arkansas_ESO
    arkansas_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is no validity to your question in my opinion.

Hardened Ward: Strong shield, no secondary effect
    Dampen Magic: Slightly stronger shield, no secondary effect
    Blazing Shield: Weaker shield, but damages players that hit it
    Bone Shield: Weaker Shield but group synergy, therefore the cost
    Obsidian Shield: Weaker Shield, but either grants Major Mending or damages
    Healing Ward: Weaker shield, but grants a small initial heal and a strong heal after the shield expires

Strife: Damage + HoT or Minor Vitality
    Force Pulse: Damage + chance to proc status effects + AoE damage to players that already have an active status effect
    Elemental Weapon: Damage + guaranteed status effect proc

As for the shields, Dampen Magic is the strongest shield. It costs 1k magicka more. You can of course argue that the difference in shield strength is so small that the cost of Hardened Ward would have to be in the same region than Dampen Magic. It's quite simple why the answer can't be to adjust the cost of Hardened Ward: noCP PvP. In noCP you have no Bastion, and you look at a typical 7k Hardened Ward on a build with 40k max mag (no CP magicka bonus available there too). If you increase the cost to more than 4k max magicka the strain on the already bad Sorc sustain would be too much. Therefore, you can only argue that Dampen Magic should be cheaper if anything.

Now, to the actual point of your post. Strife.

The base damage of Strife (1749) and morphs (1803) is close to Force Pulse (3 x 579 = 1737) and more than twice of Elemental Weapon (739). Yet Strife and morphs have a base cost of 1803 magicka whereas Force Pulse and Elemental Weapon cost 2700 base. That's not even touching the secondary effects. An adjustment to Strife is justified already if you only look on the damage values.

Whether an increase to 2700 is too much for NB sustain and shouldn't be done therefore is an entirely different argument than saying Strife shouldn't be changed because Hardened Ward remains as is, or Hardened Ward should be adjusted because Strife is.

Imho, the argument should be in line with strife as a HoT rather than strife as a dmg skill. From that PoV, Strife should be in line with Regeneration. If that means decrease it's dmg a little for a reduced cost, be it.
    Pure mageblade doesn't have a reliable burst heal (it's supposed that now new cloak should help, but it requires a lot of health to make it appealing), and slotting a resto skill on a destro bar is not possible.

^ 100% this. Strife should be the defensive counterpart to Force Pulse or Elemental Weapon, but the HOT is weak. Would very much like to see ZOS allow Strife's individual ticks to crit again and/or have Strife keep the highest HOT value for the duration, instead of refreshing the value every time it's cast.

Grand Overlord 25/8/17
  • Chilly-McFreeze
    Chilly-McFreeze
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dracane wrote: »
    Maybe because it's the only defensive ability magicka sorc has, while other classes have a few more. So it should be somewhat potent. Most Sorcerers use empowered ward anyway, which is the weakest magicka shield at the moment.

Only? You must be kidding.

It is the best, yeah, but not the only

Cool. Which ones that might be? Double slotted, stupid AI'd, killable pet burst heal? Weak "HoT" on crits that is locked out from using when escaping/LoS? A cost penalized movement skill that is useless on uneven terrain and outranged by any spammable gapcloser/ outpaced by major expedition sprint?
    Or are you arguing that class design is irrelevant when open-to-everybody skill lines are avaiable? Then I truely don't understand the current bitching about strife cost increase.