The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Jewelry Crafting is now simply Pay To Win and extremely anti-consuming

• Ley
    Ley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope, just nope.
    I'm predicting at least 1 thread like this made every week until Summerset goes the way of Morrowind and becomes part of the base game. On the other hand I don't see an issue with them locking new content behind a paywall. I enjoy this game and I don't mind supporting it until the day I no longer enjoy it or I find a game I enjoy more.
    Leylith - MagSorc | Leyloth - StamPlar | Leynerd - MagPlar | Leylit - StamBlade | Ley Eviticus - StamDK | Leydor - MagDen | Leylum - StamSorc | Leylux - MagBlade
  • Pr0Skygon
    Pr0Skygon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you're correct and jewelry crafting should not be locked behind paywall.
    Banana wrote: »
    Have mummy pay for it for you if your that cheap.

Not sure if it was suppose to be funny, but my mom is gone.
  • Pr0Skygon
    Pr0Skygon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you're correct and jewelry crafting should not be locked behind paywall.
    Good greif, just buy the crafted jewelry from someone who has the expansion... why is that so hard to grasp?

Because I can't transmute my bounded jewelries? Nor make my bounded purple jewelries become legendary quality? Why is it so hard to understand? ZOS has already confirmed that you can't do both of this without Summerset.
  • notimetocare
    notimetocare
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you're heading into the wrong direction here (Please tell me why).
    Eh? I think you are a clueless idiot that never played an MMORPG before... I mean the ability to do endgame content has always been expansion paywalled. Including new crafted gear (or like WoW, jewelcrafting for gems used to be behind a new expansion paywall). This is nothing new to a competent, experienced MMORPG player.
  • Algraxa
    Algraxa
    ✭✭✭
    I understand what you're saying, but I still agree to ZOS decision (Please share your reasons below).
    P2W complaint over P4Content = I get triggered over someone who has something I do not have... because I deserve the gold star! but I has none :(
  • karekiz
    karekiz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't know what this guy has been thinking. Its kinda always worked like this.

Every dungeon DLC has been this way:

You want Earthgore? Buy Horns of the Reach.
    You want Lord Warden <https://woeler.eu/spartan/ - has it as an option>, buy Imperial City.
    You want Velidreth - Buy Hist

That's just ones with some sort of actual usable option. If you count sets people don't 100% use you can toss in the other DLC dungeons.

Here is a way as far I as I have read it that it will work for non summer set owners to gain builds.

I will link an alcast built currently used as an example:

https://alcasthq.com/eso-magicka-sorcerer-build-pve/

Gear setup 1 as my example:

Have your crafter buddy <Pay him> to make gold Mech rings/neck. Move the three moondancer pieces to your gear. Upgrade those.

Chest Mechanical Acuity <H>
    Belt Mechanical Acuity <L>
    Shoes Mechanical Acuity <L>
    Pants Mechanical Acuity <L>
    Hands Mechanical Acuity <L>
    Head Ilambris <M>
    Shoulder Ilambris <L>
    Necklace Moondancer
    Ring Moondancer
    Ring Moondancer
    Weapon 1 Asylum
    Weapon 2 Maelstrom

Becomes:

Chest Mechanical Acuity <H>
    Belt Moondancer <L>
    Shoes Moondancer <L>
    Pants Mechanical Acuity <L>
    Hands Moondancer <L>
    Head Ilambris <M>
    Shoulder Ilambris <L>
    Necklace Mechanical Acuity <Crafted w/X trait - upgraded to gold - then traded>
    Ring Mechanical Acuity <Crafted w/X trait - upgraded to gold - then traded>
    Ring Mechanical Acutiy <Crafted w/X trait - upgraded to gold - then traded>
    W1 Asylum
    W2 Maelstrom

A player can craft it into whatever trait they know exactly as Blacksmithing works today. As long as you use a crafted set you would never need to worry about the transmute system.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I understand what you're saying, but I still agree to ZOS decision (Please share your reasons below).
    Ley wrote: »
    I'm predicting at least 1 thread like this made every week until Summerset goes the way of Morrowind and becomes part of the base game. On the other hand I don't see an issue with them locking new content behind a paywall. I enjoy this game and I don't mind supporting it until the day I no longer enjoy it or I find a game I enjoy more.
    This, You can buy crafted jewelry and upgraded overland one.
    It has one benefit you don't get without. You can run normal trials and dlc dungeons and upgrade to purple.
    Note that this is just an problem if you use two trials sets, the bis level sets are very close so if you need this you do vet trials anyway, focus on need.

it interesting how things has turned 180 degree, a bit above half a year ago you wanted crafted for your weapons, it was sharp or nothing and have fun getting one on an dungeon. So you got jewelry from dungen /trial / overland.
    This also let you select style on the crafted set who was an major benefit.

Summerset you want jewelry from overland or crafted, weapon if hard to get, armor from dungeon, you can transmute or change style anyway.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • IndianaGeoff
    IndianaGeoff
    ✭✭✭
    How much to pay to win? I want to win and I have money.

Seriously, how much and where?
  • whyterose
    whyterose
    ✭✭✭
    After paying for Morrowind and being sadly disappointed with very little content, I will not pay for Jewelcrafting but it seems like it's a "nice" way to get people to pay for it. I can play another game.
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it.
  • Imryll
    Imryll
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Players who only buy the base game have access to base races, classes, skill lines, and story--i.e. everything they paid for. Expansions can offer a variety of new content, not just landmass and story. If a new player isn't sure they want the new content enough to pay for it, they have the option of not buying the chapter. If they eventually become sufficiently engaged with the game to want the chapter, they can buy it then. No need to rush. And really no need for the new player (a level 1 with no CP, minimum bag and bank space, and no riding training, who doesn't necessarily even know what a trait is) to worry about cutting edge min-maxing. By the time that becomes an issue, they'll have a much better idea whether they want to make a more-than-minimum investment in the game.

Interestingly, to me, WoW also initially offered JC as a feature available only to purchasers of TBC, its first expansion. Over time there's a tendency for expansion features to become part of the base game, but if you want them right away and for sure, then buying the expansion gives you that while offering the company motivation to develop other features which you may enjoy.

• Icy_Waffles
    Icy_Waffles
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope, just nope.
    Just like the warden is p2w? Rofl get over yourself entitled much?

I want ZOS to continue releasing content with new features. I support the game and pay for it.

Get over yourself.
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    How much to pay to win? I want to win and I have money.

Seriously, how much and where?

I bought 40 copies of Summerset so that I can be OP.
  • Arkray
    Arkray
    ✭✭✭
    Others (Share your thought below)
    I agree that they shouldn't lock a basic feature like jewelry crafting behind an expansion or a DLC but I wouldn't call it p2w. It's just sad that the main appeal of the chapter seems to be jewelry crafting for a lot of people.

I'm all in for exclusive sets, dungeons, trials, etc., in the end it's similar, try being a serious healer without imperial city and SPC for example.
    But something as basic as jewelry crafting should be included with the base game and they should have came up with something better as the main appeal of the new chapter.

I guess they'll at least move it to the base game next year like they are going to do with BGs now.
    "Ah, magic! The solution to all life's problems. I love magic! It's so... magical."
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Imryll wrote: »
    Players who only buy the base game have access to base races, classes, skill lines, and story--i.e. everything they paid for. Expansions can offer a variety of new content, not just landmass and story. If a new player isn't sure they want the new content enough to pay for it, they have the option of not buying the chapter. If they eventually become sufficiently engaged with the game to want the chapter, they can buy it then. No need to rush. And really no need for the new player (a level 1 with no CP, minimum bag and bank space, and no riding training, who doesn't necessarily even know what a trait is) to worry about cutting edge min-maxing. By the time that becomes an issue, they'll have a much better idea whether they want to make a more-than-minimum investment in the game.

Interestingly, to me, WoW also initially offered JC as a feature available only to purchasers of TBC, its first expansion. Over time there's a tendency for expansion features to become part of the base game, but if you want them right away and for sure, then buying the expansion gives you that while offering the company motivation to develop other features which you may enjoy.

Agreed, and this seems to be the direction ZOS is going, as well. I have the feeling that jewelry crafting will become a base-game feature next year when the next chapter launches, and Summerset becomes a DLC. Just like BGs with MW. Of course, they COULD make it an account upgrade like the Warden, but I'm guessing that since stations will be everywhere in the base game, it's only going to be locked out for non-owners of Summerset while it remains a chapter. So, basically, anyone who pre-orders Summerset (or buys it before it becomes a DLC) is paying for early access. Don't wanna pay now, just wait a year.
  • HappyLittleTree
    HappyLittleTree
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope, just nope.
    If you don't care for extra story content you're no real TES fan.
    Thuu chakkuth lod Hajhiit c’oo? Hajhiit gortsuquth gorihuth thuu gooluthduj thdeitoluu!

XBox-EU
  • SirCritical
    SirCritical
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    P2W again is a PvP syndrome. You can still be powerful in PvE without gold jewelry, and yes, you can buy the crafted jewelry pieces from another player.

In PvP, I really think skill>gear, and this gap cannot be seriously narrowed by using gold jewelry instead of purple, except if there will really be a BiS trait, which I don't think will happen.

Almost everything is buyable from ingame currency, and the real minority of the items are needed for the hard meta.
  • Sparky617
    Sparky617
    ✭✭✭
    ESO was originaly supposed to be Sub only for access to all new content. That ended up not being profitable and would have eventually killed the game. Now It's a hybrid, of Sub + cash shop. They have to keep incentive for f2p to keep spending some money so that the game continues on. I've been subed since day one and have absolutely no problem paying for the new content that comes out. I want ESO to be here for a very long time.
  • Trinity_Is_My_Name
    Trinity_Is_My_Name
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope, just nope.
    Vast amount of content for those that only buy the base game. ZOS employees have families, car payments, house payments and other things to pay for to survive and continue making content for this game. Why is it so difficult for people to understand that without a paycheck there is no ESO? ZOS has introduced new content on schedule year after year and people expect it to be free. What job would you work and get paid nothing?

New Players coming to ESO have a multitude of game options to purchase. I think most new players that intend to play this game as much as I do will buy the full package and get Morrowind and the Summerset package.
  • Caliope
    Caliope
    Perhaps it's ZOS politics or our lack of understanding them that causes these problems. A comparison between WoW and ESO expansions:

1. the start

In WoW the sub is needed to play. We got base game, then AQ, with expanded Silithus, then a few more undead... for 'free'.

In ESO we got the base game and everything that came out until it went f2p for free, same as WoW.

now they cange.

2. first big update

WOW brought BC, you needed to buy that. all content updates were still free after that but sub was still needed.

ESO brought a few DLCs inbetween that were now behind a paywall, as was the first expansion, Morrowind. The problem here I think is that they could have sold the Morrowind story as a start of ESO 2.0 easily if the next DLCs would have been free and part of the Morrowind expansion pack. But that would've made the sub obligatory for them to continue the work.

So f2p really is the problem here and sorry, but the p2w crying in a game that honestly has nothing game changing in it's shop is a bit exhausting...
  • Matei
    Matei
    ✭✭
    Im considering to buy the expansion because its a great looking PvE zone to explore and quest in.
    I find Jewelcrafting a minor thing.
  • grim gaming
    grim gaming
    Soul Shriven
    The only pay wall you talking about is scrolls. Of wait I can still get there with time. Did you check to see if master writ guy has them too? Pay to win means you pay for something that no matter how the player try he will never get it. Asking as game
    Let's us buy the gear of market form people trading like nirn trait later we re good as for the price this content is about 2 to 3 dlc sized things. Then on top of its not a big money grab like the reindeer mount on new years the cost of 80$+ for. 30$ is a reasonable cost compared to morrowind last year so much that after it release it price got cut. And every thing on pts so far is as promised I only fear is what is this going to cost me later in the year. Cause we been asking for this for years but how can they top this and keep it going and not lose player trust.
  • gnarlyvandal
    gnarlyvandal
    ✭✭✭
    I'm mixed about this.
    Jewelcrafting was mentioned with ESO’s release as something they were going to roll out as part of the base game.
    I think it’s a bit silly to have any crafting locked behind a paywall, as OP says, it might put new players off.
    On the flip side, if you pay a sub, like most mmo’s ask for anyway, its not an issue
    To be honest though, it’s probably only a part of Summerset as an incentive for players to eat the expansion, I can see this most likely being added to the base game before the next expansion
  • Pr0Skygon
    Pr0Skygon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jewelcrafting was mentioned with ESO’s release as something they were going to roll out as part of the base game.
    I think it’s a bit silly to have any crafting locked behind a paywall, as OP says, it might put new players off.
    On the flip side, if you pay a sub, like most mmo’s ask for anyway, its not an issue
    To be honest though, it’s probably only a part of Summerset as an incentive for players to eat the expansion, I can see this most likely being added to the base game before the next expansion

Paying sub DOES NOT give you jewelry crafting. You still have to buy Summerset separately even with ESO+
  • Pops_ND_Irish
    Pops_ND_Irish
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Again, What are you winning ?
    Its a good thing that jewelry crafting is here!
    Gonna buy the expansion anyway. No beef here.

Why do a few people want everything free ? geez
    If everything was free what would you have to whine about ?
    Well dumb question, whiners will whine no matter what
    Edited by Pops_ND_Irish on April 22, 2018 5:58AM
  • BejaProphet
    BejaProphet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The point of the chapters is essentially the role of expansions in other MMO's. The entire point is that if you don't buy this new expansion, you simply will not get the full experience of the game. What you are complaining about is not a side-effect which they didn't consider. They actively strive to add something to each chapter which means you will not really be a full participant of the game if you opt out of the chapters.
  • Pr0Skygon
    Pr0Skygon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MoTeets wrote: »

No one asked for everything to be free. I asked for only 1 thing, and that's Jewelry Crafting.
    Saying "Everyone wants everything to be free" simply proves that you really don't get the point of this topic.
    By the way, I've already have a pre order code even before posting this, so no, I don't want Jewelry Crafting for myself, but it is what should have been free from the start.
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Pr0Skygon wrote: »
    MoTeets wrote: »

No one asked for everything to be free. I asked for only 1 thing, and that's Jewelry Crafting.
    Saying "Everyone wants everything to be free" simply proves that you really don't get the point of this topic.
    By the way, I've already have a pre order code even before posting this, so no, I don't want Jewelry Crafting for myself, but it is what should have been free from the start.

Well, isn't that nice. Outrage on the behalf of others who can post their own rants.

Who knows? If the game had remained pc only, with a mandatory sub, perhaps everything would be included with the base game. I seriously doubt they would have delayed the release of the game to include jewelry crafting. Systems get added as games grow. As it stands now, the more content comes out, the more they seem to be willing to add to the base game. So you might get your wish for the other players who can't seem to speak up for themselves eventually.

You do, however, need to look at what "pay to win" entails. Being able to craft jewelry doesn't make you emperor, give you the bis weapons and armor, and put you at the top of the leaderboards permanently. What, exactly, do you "win"? I'm getting Summerset, I've never been emperor and I have no maelstrom weapons, monster helms or shoulders. Should I expect to find them in my mail after the launch?
  • visionality
    visionality
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont see any base-game player complaining that maelstroem weapons are pay to win, but actually they are barred off in a DLC too. (I know ESO+-members have access to that DLC, but still, they pay for ESO+).

For casual players who only do base-game content, the disadvantages will be minimal. Actually they will only feel them if they want to use 2 craftable sets because they wont be able to craft the necessary jewellery. But this is exactly the way it is now, so no change at all. PLUS they can get the crafted jewellery from a crafter, so improvement from now.
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I dont see any base-game player complaining that maelstroem weapons are pay to win, but actually they are barred off in a DLC too. (I know ESO+-members have access to that DLC, but still, they pay for ESO+).

For casual players who only do base-game content, the disadvantages will be minimal. Actually they will only feel them if they want to use 2 craftable sets because they wont be able to craft the necessary jewellery. But this is exactly the way it is now, so no change at all. PLUS they can get the crafted jewellery from a crafter, so improvement from now.

You do know that you can buy the dlc even if you don't have eso plus? I am subbed. AND I used the crowns from that sub to buy all the dlc so if I ever drop my sub for any reason I still have access to the dlc. Even if I wasn't subbed I'd have bought the dlc, so...:shrug:

• visionality
    visionality
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JKorr wrote: »

You do know that you can buy the dlc even if you don't have eso plus? I am subbed. AND I used the crowns from that sub to buy all the dlc so if I ever drop my sub for any reason I still have access to the dlc. Even if I wasn't subbed I'd have bought the dlc, so...:shrug:

I do know , so what's your point?
    You pay to have the DLC that allows you to get maelstroem weapons...