The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Jewelry Crafting is now simply Pay To Win and extremely anti-consuming

Pr0Skygon
Pr0Skygon
✭✭✭✭✭
So I've seen a lot of fuss about this topic lately, so I think I'll also drop my thought on this as well.
Before I get into this, I just want to make a quick reminder: These reasons are best suited for new players. If you're a vet players that would pay up for Summerset Isle either way (I've already pre-ordered the chapter), it's best to read these as a someone who has just decided to buy ESO for the first time.

1. This is a base game feature. Why do I claim this? Just imagine buying the new Monster Hunter World game, where crafting is a key feature, and now suddenly you realized that you can only craft 1 type of weapon only, and if you want to widen your weapon crafting ability, you must buy a *** 10% addon. If you're a Monster Hunter fans, this is a kick to the stomach.

2. "But you can have someone do it for you". Yes, but only with craftable sets. Remember that we can now transmute items, and now you realized that only paid Summerset Isle players can transmute their account bound jewelries. Not to mention we'll get 6 new jewelry traits, if 1 of them become the new meta, then RIP base game owner. Not to mention improving purple jewelries to legendary jewelry. Sure, the change isn't much, but a change non the less. Also, you doesn't want a legendary jewelry? It's so shiny :tongue:

3. Base game owner will be constantly reminded how handicapped they are when they see jewelry crafting station everywhere in the world, but can't use them, and the only way they can do it is to buy a 40$ DLC, with a story they don't care, a zone they don't care, a guild that looks cool but still don't care, and they might not even care about the new trial or sets. They'll basically paying 40$ for jewelry crafting, that is anti-consumer at its best.

But hey, that's just my thought, love to hear yours below. Don't worry, I always try to read and reply them all :D
Edited by Pr0Skygon on March 29, 2018 5:27AM

Jewelry Crafting is now simply Pay To Win and extremely anti-consuming 401 votes

I think you're correct and jewelry crafting should not be locked behind paywall.
22%
mesnaConn3rySigtricEthoirIruil_ESOshauny.gibbsb16_ESOdennissomb16_ESOSabbathiusmakrethMilvanxenowarrior92eb17_ESOLaerothKeykalynfalcasternub18_ESOHatchetHaroduncan_cougarpreeb18_ESOKimyy02IdinuseOmniDoTroneonStreega 90 votes
I don't agree to all of your saying, but I still think lock jewelry crafting is dumb.
6%
TurelusBreelynSorataArisugawaCaffeinatedMayhemTarukmocktoWreuntzyllaShadowMole25lillybitVoxicityParaNostramJhalinTevalaurJacen_VeronaaisoahoSaturnanaMythrialDrowKarmanorwayHJSmith24kiyoshigawaCamb0Sl1ce 25 votes
I understand what you're saying, but I still agree to ZOS decision (Please share your reasons below).
11%
ArobainBeastnasDracanetimb16_ESO85zariaSparky617starlizard70ub17_ESOSirCriticalDarkheartBergisMacBrideNermypaulsimonpsPaganiniimrednecksonADarkloreHetairadelclay23HelzMilwaukeeScottPink_Violinz 48 votes
I think you're heading into the wrong direction here (Please tell me why).
11%
DaveMoeDeexaraanDarkstorneaubrey.baconb16_ESOkwisatzSeptimus_MagnaPalidonsrfrogg23kongkimsylviermooneToRelaxTaleof2CitiesXuhoraSruLumsdenmlLupusdiabolusYinmaigaoKatahdinnotimetocareAliyavana 47 votes
Nope, just nope.
36%
laurajftheskymovesSBCashenehb14_ESOdaryl.rasmusenb14_ESODarcyMardinrevenileb14_ESOwenchmore420b14_ESOPhilhypeAsaredhamsterontherocksb16_ESOAzuryaHrogunSarousseGythralAimoraDhukathjedtb16_ESOSharranAesKoensol 145 votes
I'm mixed about this.
6%
DioraAreziusthomas1970b16_ESOmjean169b16_ESOanitajoneb17_ESONifty2gSheezabeastfeyiiStovahkiinCinbriThe_SaintOhtimbar0lbertikusxericdxSkanderldzlcs065DiteHartLadislaoWrubius_CoronariaAki-Ral 27 votes
Others (Share your thought below)
4%
MateiRohausGrimm13AesthierMettaricanaRatarotoesp1992Violynneswirvelucky_SageArkrayFakeFoxdrake88131LukosCreydenTwenty0zTsunamiTucker3711ColecovisionSmokewoodgrim gaming 19 votes
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    no, new expansion exclusive features are common in mmo expansions and eso is no exception. Pc players know this whom have been in many mmos before and console players best get used to the way mmos operate in new expansion exclusive features. The base game is like what only 20 dollars now and its b2p, they need more money to continue developing the game.
    Edited by Aliyavana on March 29, 2018 5:31AM
  • rustic_potato
    rustic_potato
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I understand what you're saying, but I still agree to ZOS decision (Please share your reasons below).
    No. A new chapter needs to bring something to the table which would make players buy it. If jewel crafting is made available to base game why buy the chapter?
    I play how I want to.

• Pr0Skygon
    Pr0Skygon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you're correct and jewelry crafting should not be locked behind paywall.
    No. A new chapter needs to bring something to the table which would make players buy it. If jewel crafting is made available to base game why buy the chapter?

The new zone, the new story, the new guild, the new trial, the new sets? There's a lot of other thing "expansion" can add in.
  • SharranAes
    SharranAes
    ✭✭✭
    Nope, just nope.
    Supporting the game through getting an expansion is hardly pay to win in any sense of the word
    Most other MMOs almost "demand" that you have expansions to be able to do anything from that point on (In that level caps are often increased, and you need the expansion to keep leveling, for example).

Amusing how the most vocal people in this community seem to be the "I bought the base game 4 years ago and shouldn't have to spend anything beyond that!" people...
    If no-one is paying for anything, the game would not be updated ever again

Getting a feature from an expansion (Or chapter - Whatever; Same thing, different name) is not paying to win -.-
  • Pr0Skygon
    Pr0Skygon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    aliyavana wrote: »
    no, new expansion exclusive features are common in mmo expansions and eso is no exception. Pc players know this whom have been in many mmos before and console players best get used to the way mmos operate in new expansion exclusive features. The base game is like what only 20 dollars now and its b2p, they need more money to continue developing the game.

Isn't that why we gave ESO+, and a new DLC every 3 months?

Also, do you really have to make jewelry crafting a paid feature? You can make housing a paid feature all I care, but not jewelry crafting, which directly affect your combat styles and abilities.
  • AzraelKrieg
    AzraelKrieg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nope, just nope.
    Pr0Skygon wrote: »

The new zone, the new story, the new guild, the new trial, the new sets? There's a lot of other thing "expansion" can add in.

Some people would have no interest in some of that stuff.
    Gold Dragons Guildmaster PC-NACR2000+
    Kalthar Wolf-Brother – EP Templar - 50 Maeli Valen - EP NB - 50Naps-During-Trials – EP Templar - 50Rulnakh - EP Sorc - 50Azrael Krieg - EP NB – 50Uvithasa Telvanni – EP DK – 50More-Tail - EP Warden - 50Narile Galen - EP Sorc - 50Bone Soldier - EP Necro - 50Naps-During-Trails - EP Necro - 50
  • Pr0Skygon
    Pr0Skygon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Supporting the game through getting an expansion is hardly pay to win in any sense of the word
    Most other MMOs almost "demand" that you have expansions to be able to do anything from that point on (In that level caps are often increased, and you need the expansion to keep leveling, for example).

Amusing how the most vocal people in this community seem to be the "I bought the base game 4 years ago and shouldn't have to spend anything beyond that!" people...
    If no-one is paying for anything, the game would not be updated ever again

Getting a feature from an expansion (Or chapter - Whatever; Same thing, different name) is not paying to win -.-

Getting an expansion just because of Jewelry crafting only sounds really pay to win to me though :expressionless:

Also, I bought the new DLC for the stories and trial, just like with Morrowind and Clockwork City.
  • Pr0Skygon
    Pr0Skygon
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Some people would have no interest in some of that stuff.

If so, then the devs should think harder about how to make those stories/zones/trial interesting. Not shove a basic crafting feature into the DLC.
  • Xuhora
    Xuhora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    are we sure yet that jewelry crafting isnt implemented into the basegame? I mean sure we can freak out now, and then realize later that all the fuss was about nothing, because its in the base game.
  • Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope, just nope.
    Get ya wallet out tight asses. Nothings free these days
  • EvilCroc
    EvilCroc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everyone who do not like High Elves should suffer. Easy.
  • Xuhora
    Xuhora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xuhora wrote: »
    are we sure yet that jewelry crafting isnt implemented into the basegame? I mean sure we can freak out now, and then realize later that all the fuss was about nothing, because its in the base game.

yup, we are sure it isnt implemented into the base game, just saw the article.

edit: Typos
    Edited by Xuhora on March 29, 2018 5:46AM
  • kongkim
    kongkim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There need to be something good in the chapter to make better sells. Its a business and for them, it's about making money and we all know it. There is nothing weird in that.
  • cjhhickman39
    cjhhickman39
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nope, just nope.
    As stated above they are a business this is what they do. A secondary reason may have been simply for a easier use by players and less stress on summerset
    My observation being cwc and outfits. Cwc has transmogrification, it is the only place to do this unless you have 1250 writ vouchers at hand. The pop is always high when I go there and IMO it’s for use of the transmogrification system. This leads to long load screen times and lag.
    Outfit being everywhere didn’t cause theses problems, so like outfit they want it everywhere but still want to make a buck so this was the call.
    This is all guesswork so there reasons could be totally different
  • Koensol
    Koensol
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Nope, just nope.

Lol. And other people will argue the same thing for the sets in this chapter. There have been threads about vMA being P2W as well because of the weapons. People like you will just use their own bias and wishes to decide what is and isn't P2W and what is and isn't fine to put behind a payed expansion. Truth is, this is an expansion. An expansion brings new stuff to the game that should be appealing to people. They can't cater to your personal wishes, just like they can't cater to other person's wishes. Period. The end.
  • Twenty0zTsunami
    Twenty0zTsunami
    ✭✭✭✭
    Others (Share your thought below)
    The thieves guild fence is locked behind a dlc. Even if I place her in my home, people who don't own TG, or haven't done the quests to unlock her, cannot interact with and utilize her. I fail to see how this is any different?

Oh because CWC gave us the XMUTE station and is usable without owning it? Well that's a DLC, not an expansion. There is a considerable difference in the way zos handles the two.
  • GiantFruitFly
    GiantFruitFly
    ✭✭✭
    Nope, just nope.

Theres already topics with people complaining that the chapter is light on content that would make them consider it an expansion, people comparing it to a glorified dlc, and saying it should come with ESO+ despite precedence from last year. It is a chapter and there has to be some big ticket features to justify it.

Jewelrycrafting is a big thing and not having it tied to having the chapter just reduces the reasons to get the chapter, further giving strength to those arguing that it isn't a chapter at all. Replayability of overworld zone and quests are problematic, some people just don't care about that stuff and/or consider it a "one and done" deal. New sets and trial are pretty much standard and if the sets aren't good then some people won't care about them anyways, or if the trial is a chore. And then some people don't like Altmer themed stuff in general.
    If so, then the devs should think harder about how to make those stories/zones/trial interesting. Not shove a basic crafting feature into the DLC.

Making it more interesting is difficult when the nature of some content means replayability or utility isn't there. If the reasons to get Summerset is sharply reduced by giving free one of the biggest features then partial refunds might as well be given out and all articles about the chapter edited. Furthermore, at this point I don't see how significantly more content can be added without risking the launch date.
    Edited by GiantFruitFly on March 29, 2018 6:03AM
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well you'll still have a lot of people buying it for the content. I bet more people buy it for the content and crafting as appose to just jewelry crafting.
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope, just nope.

https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/26347

And that's perfectly fine. There are alternative ways of obtaining jewellery in-game. If someone wants the convenience of jewellery crafting, then pay the $30. Everyone can afford the price tag. It's just a question of how cheap/entitled someone is.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on March 29, 2018 6:09AM
  • Leandor
    Leandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Another forum star farming band wagon rider poll...

Contemptible.
    Edited by Leandor on March 29, 2018 6:58AM
  • Pr0Skygon
    Pr0Skygon
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, it's comfirmed. Here's the link
    https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/26347?utm_source=SocialMedia&utm_medium=bitly
  • Pr0Skygon
    Pr0Skygon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Banana wrote: »

Transmute is free. Outfit is free. Housing is free. Your point is?

Also, not everyone has an abundant sum of money to spill into 1 game.
  • Silver_Strider
    Silver_Strider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Nope, just nope.
    No more P2W than needing Morrowind to get War Machine/Master Architect or Orsinium/CWC to get Maelstrom/Asylum weapons.

I mean, seriously, there's still work involved in order to utilize these stations. Just because you buy Summerset, doesn't instantly mean you'll have all 9 traits researched upon release. There's a fairly time consuming grind ahead for people wish to utilize crafted jewelry as you need to find the traits for jewelry to research. Then, you have to consider that a lot of trial sets are just better than anything you can craft. I mean, what crafted set can top War Machine/Alkosh/Mending/Vicious Ophidian/etc? You are NOT going to drop any of those sets for some crafted set because it's just not as good. In PvP, maybe you'll utilize crafted sets over trial/dropped sets but PvP is a different beast entirely. There is always a set combination that can work for 1 person that fails for another because Player Skill and Ability Selection matter just as much there as what sets you're wearing; it's literally impossible to say that using 2 crafted sets is going to outperform 2 dropped or a 1 dropped+1 crafted set there.

There is literally no basis for P2W in this topic at all. You buy the content, do the research required and reap the benefits, end of discussion.
    Banana wrote: »

Transmute is free. Outfit is free. Housing is free. Your point is?

Also, not everyone has an abundant sum of money to spill into 1 game.

You also don't need ANY of that to play competitively.
    You can still grind for the perfect trait for your gear without Transmutation so it's not mandatory to have. None of the crafted sets available are as good as some trial sets so from a PvE stand point, it's not P2W. From a PvP standpoint, it's STILL not P2W as there are a wide variety of gear sets that can be equally viable in PvP with or without Jewelry Crafting.
    Edited by Silver_Strider on March 29, 2018 7:10AM
    Argonian forever
  • Pr0Skygon
    Pr0Skygon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    EvilCroc wrote: »
    Everyone who do not like High Elves should suffer. Easy.

This one don't like Thalmor at all. Easy :tongue:
  • Pr0Skygon
    Pr0Skygon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Leandor wrote: »

Contemptible.

Only if that band wagon makes sense though.
  • commdt
    commdt
    ✭✭✭✭
    Damn, im sick of this posts, will they ever end? It is online game which you can play for free, know that there is equipment which takes maintenance and all this is free for you beggars without ESO+ (we pay for you here...). Now you want ZOS to just give you content which they spent time developing for free? Do you have any common sence at all?
    Rawr
  • Pr0Skygon
    Pr0Skygon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kongkim wrote: »
    There need to be something good in the chapter to make better sells. Its a business and for them, it's about making money and we all know it. There is nothing weird in that.

There's a difference between "Buying something you love", and "Buying something because if you don't, you'd handicap yourself"
  • Leandor
    Leandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Leandor wrote: »

Contemptible.

Only if that band wagon makes sense though.

Not a single one of the P2W whine fests created in this forum even remotely made sense ever.
  • Pr0Skygon
    Pr0Skygon
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Theres already topics with people complaining that the chapter is light on content that would make them consider it an expansion, people comparing it to a glorified dlc, and saying it should come with ESO+ despite precedence from last year. It is a chapter and there has to be some big ticket features to justify it.

Jewelrycrafting is a big thing and not having it tied to having the chapter just reduces the reasons to get the chapter, further giving strength to those arguing that it isn't a chapter at all. Replayability of overworld zone and quests are problematic, some people just don't care about that stuff and/or consider it a "one and done" deal. New sets and trial are pretty much standard and if the sets aren't good then some people won't care about them anyways, or if the trial is a chore. And then some people don't like Altmer themed stuff in general.

Making it more interesting is difficult when the nature of some content means replayability or utility isn't there. If the reasons to get Summerset is sharply reduced by giving free one of the biggest features then partial refunds might as well be given out and all articles about the chapter edited. Furthermore, at this point I don't see how significantly more content can be added without risking the launch date.

1. So what you want to say is instead of making quality content, you want quantity in content instead, and buy quantity you mean shove key feature that should have been there from the start in?

2. If talk about quantity, how about we get more trial instead? Or a longer story content instead?

3. The nature of making good story is hard, true. But isn't that ZOS's job? People makes excuses of doing a poor job by saying "because it's difficult" nowadays? Come on :neutral:
  • Pr0Skygon
    Pr0Skygon
    ✭✭✭✭✭

https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/26347

And that's perfectly fine. There are alternative ways of obtaining jewellery in-game. If someone wants the convenience of jewellery crafting, then pay the $30. Everyone can afford the price tag. It's just a question of how cheap/entitled someone is.

Not everyone consider 30$ for a DLC cheap you know.