The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Let's talk about Zaan: It needs adjustments

• ccfeeling
    ccfeeling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Not just Zann , you should ask to nerf all offensive monter sets .
    You will be killed by all of them while you LAG .
  • leothedino
    leothedino
    ✭✭✭✭
    I can't wait for more of the games PVE to suffer because of useless threads like this.
  • brandonv516
    brandonv516
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    leothedino wrote: »
    I can't wait for more of the games PVE to suffer because of useless threads like this.

Well it's useless to you because you PvE and assume that it doesn't overperform in PvP.

I don't know if it does as I'm on console but calling it a useless thread when you only play half the game is a pretty stubborn thing to say.
  • DoctorESO
    DoctorESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Zaan was a powerful woman. It makes sense that her Monster Set is also strong.
  • Aesthier
    Aesthier
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While I don't agree that PvE needs to be changed based upon PvP I also don't think PvP should be changed based on PvE.

I think honestly this subject would get better light if placed in the PvP section or even the game mechanics section where it might be heard and draw less distraction if that is really what the OP desires.
    Edited by Aesthier on February 20, 2018 7:30AM
  • kongkim
    kongkim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its all about balance. it ZEN can see it overperform they change it. And then would be fine.
  • Mojomonkeyman
    Mojomonkeyman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    After seeing this set in action in BGs I can safely say: Zaan is the most overpowered piece of trash since the days of crittable procsets. Literally carrying terrible players. An insult to anyone whos interested in healthy pvp and anyone trying to defend that abomination has lost his/her self respect long time ago.

Hilarious.
    Edited by Mojomonkeyman on February 20, 2018 8:11AM
    Koma Grey, Chocolate Thunder, Little Mojo, Dagoth Mojo & Mojomancy
  • Ch4mpTW
    Ch4mpTW
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    After seeing this set in action in BGs I can safely say: Zaan is the most overpowered piece of trash since the days of crittable procsets. Literally carrying terrible players. An insult to anyone whos interested in healthy pvp and anyone trying to defend that abomination has lost his/her self respect long time ago.

Hilarious.

@Mojomonkeyman Please tell me you’re joking. I don’t know if the PPG’s jammed you up Mojo, and got you hallucinating. But, Zaan carrying people? Have you heard of Troll King? Selene? And you feel that Zaan of all things is capable of carrying folks? You’re a funny man, Mojo Jojo.
  • Mojomonkeyman
    Mojomonkeyman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ch4mpTW wrote: »

Hilarious.

@Mojomonkeyman Please tell me you’re joking. I don’t know if the PPG’s jammed you up Mojo, and got you hallucinating. But, Zaan carrying people? Have you heard of Troll King? Selene? And you feel that Zaan of all things is capable of carrying folks? You’re a funny man, Mojo Jojo.

Your welcome to have your own opinion. Those recaps posted happen regularly in BGs. If you honestly think scoring kills on a regular basis with 90% Zaan input and 10% player input is healthy PvP then I don't know what planet you live on...
    Koma Grey, Chocolate Thunder, Little Mojo, Dagoth Mojo & Mojomancy
  • WakeYourGhost
    WakeYourGhost
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I keep seeing arguments that Proc Sets in general are bad for the Health of this game, yet - I don't understand why?
    Setting yourself up to maximize the chance of activating a unique effect takes at least a tiny amount of thinking, and random chance bursts of extra damage are, at least in my opinion, a fun mechanic in any game to make combat feel a little different.
    Out of all the Balance complaints I've heard, this is the one I just don't get.

I imagine for Console players, it will be much easier to avoid taking the full Proc worth of Damage, though - So, that's something.
  • Ch4mpTW
    Ch4mpTW
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I keep seeing arguments that Proc Sets in general are bad for the Health of this game, yet - I don't understand why?
    Setting yourself up to maximize the chance of activating a unique effect takes at least a tiny amount of thinking, and random chance bursts of extra damage are, at least in my opinion, a fun mechanic in any game to make combat feel a little different.
    Out of all the Balance complaints I've heard, this is the one I just don't get.

I imagine for Console players, it will be much easier to avoid taking the full Proc worth of Damage, though - So, that's something.

Bingo.
    Edited by Ch4mpTW on February 20, 2018 9:56AM
  • Biro123
    Biro123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    ak_pvp wrote: »
    JamilaRaj wrote: »
    I am pretty sure that if overland mob opened with talons, lash and 19K beam of fire gainst "Zaan is fine, get 10 meters away" PvE people, MikaS would have busy day here on forums.
    I've killed people with this set that I normally wouldn't be able to kill. Most people do not even try to get away from it, though that might change with time. Of course it's OP, but they nerfed soul assault which good pvp'ers just laughed at anyway (I don't usually die to that myself even), so I'm certainly going to enjoy this while it lasts.

Also I've found ballista more useful than soul assault now, and I see a lot more people using it, so I guess that one is the next to be nerfed.

Me too. However, they usually use wet noodle launcher only after stealing it from me when I release it during reload.

I am pretty sure if an overland mob opened with curse, frags, fury or sub, wreaking blow, DB then people would be equally as salty.

I don't think Zaan is OP (Unless being Xv1'd like mad) I don't think sub assault is OP. But if a ST 19k dot that is breakable is. Then an 8k burst AoE debuff is too. Both of these can be outplayed by movement. Git gud.

If I wanted to use Zaan it would be on my Orc stamsorc.. WIth maj and minor exped running, access to streak and plenty of roll-dodges while running fwd momentum.. Good look outplaying with movement....
    Minalan owes me a beer.

PC EU Megaserver
    Minie Mo - Stam/Magblade - DC
    Woody Ron - Stamplar - DC
    Aidee - Magsorc - DC
    Notadorf - Stamsorc - DC
    Khattman Doo - Stamblade - Relegated to Crafter, cos AD.
  • JinMori
    JinMori
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    JinMori wrote: »
    Lol, another nerf because of pvp, color me surprised.....

Do you get the drift zos?

I really don't get why PvE players get outta shape over PvP balance.

Could you not complete all the content before the introduction of Zaan?

What PvE content do you feel you can no longer complete because of balance changes?

If it's just the fact you have to adjust your character, or use different gear, that's a pretty weak argument for letting PvP balance go to the way-side

We already lost our sustain, and now are forced to use heavy attacks, and this is mostly because of pvp, it's about quality of gameplay, and this is garbage.
    Edited by JinMori on February 20, 2018 12:04PM
  • Feanor
    Feanor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What PvE content do you feel you can no longer complete because of balance changes?

If it's just the fact you have to adjust your character, or use different gear, that's a pretty weak argument for letting PvP balance go to the way-side

We already lost our sustain, and now are forced to use heavy attacks, and this is mostly because of pvp, it's about quality of gameplay, and this is garbage.

Morrowind Sustain changes were because of PvE - notably well oiled Raid groups that could run base Regen because their teamplay was so good.

Edit:

From the 3.0.5 patch notes
    Resource Recovery Changes

Combat in ESO is, and has always been, about fast-paced action where resource management plays a large part in performing effectively. Player abilities in ESO specifically do not have cooldowns for this very reason - resource management is key and is a core pillar of the system. Due to the number of balance changes we have made over time, this core pillar of resource management has become minimzed; it’s become easier than ever to have high sustainability while still being fully maximized for damage.

As such, some significant changes to resource recovery are being made. In general, each of the changes falls into one of four major categories:
    Restores based on the maximum resource pool - These abilities were simply too effective once you obtained a significant pool size.
    Cost reduction & recovery passives - Several of these passives were over-performing and have been adjusted.
    Group based buffs/synergies - Several of these abilities were near-mandatory in end-game situations and have been adjusted.
    Resource spend/gain rates - Abilities that cost either too much or too little were adjusted to ensure that each class and build type are spending and gaining resources at roughly the same rate.
    Our goal with these changes is to have a combat system that reinforces decision making and resource management. Having players make choices between abilities, buffs and gear that provide more damage, or ones that provide more resource sustain, ultimately helps ensure that ESO's combat stays balanced and healthy for years to come.

Note the key word is group here. It was aimed at the so called infinite sustain raids.
    Edited by Feanor on February 20, 2018 12:10PM
    Main characters: Feanor the Believer - AD Altmer mSorc - AR 46 - Flawless Conqueror (PC EU)Idril Arnanor - AD Altmer mSorc - CP 217 - Stormproof (PC NA)Other characters:
    Necrophilius Killgood - DC Imperial NecromancerFearscales - AD Argonian Templar - Stormproof (healer)Draco Imperialis - AD Imperial DK (tank)Cabed Naearamarth - AD Dunmer mDKValirion Willowthorne - AD Bosmer stamBladeTuruna - AD Altmer magBladeKheled Zaram - AD Redguard stamDKKibil Nala - AD Redguard stamSorc - StormproofYavanna Kémentárí - AD Breton magWardenAzog gro-Ghâsh - EP Orc stamWardenVidar Drakenblød - DC Nord mDKMarquis de Peyrac - DC Breton mSorc - StormproofRawlith Khaj'ra - AD Khajiit stamWardenTu'waccah - AD Redguard Stamplar
    All chars 50 @ CP 1700+. Playing and enjoying PvP with RdK mostly on PC EU.
  • pod88kk
    pod88kk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    We haven't even gotten the bloody thing on console & you're trying to ruin it..... Just SHTAP
  • ShadowMonarch
    ShadowMonarch
    ✭✭✭✭
    sa
    Edited by ShadowMonarch on April 25, 2018 5:00PM
  • Feanor
    Feanor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zaan is OP as hell on my magdk.

I don't know what you other guys are smoking but it counters magika characters super hard. After 2 cc's they are completely out of stamina and are stuck standing in my zaan as I talon and fossilize spam them even more, I barley have to put dots on them and then just spam cc's and they drop lol. In cyro if I get in a 1v1 scenario with a magika character its like free win. Just reflect spam + cc spam and zaan does almost all the damage for me!

They simply do not have the stamina to deal with getting away from it and magnb and magsorc I can just spamreflect on all their dps so ez win, set is ridiculous and fun to 1 beam people with.

Which is apparently totally fine in a game like Elder Armour Online.
    Main characters: Feanor the Believer - AD Altmer mSorc - AR 46 - Flawless Conqueror (PC EU)Idril Arnanor - AD Altmer mSorc - CP 217 - Stormproof (PC NA)Other characters:
    Necrophilius Killgood - DC Imperial NecromancerFearscales - AD Argonian Templar - Stormproof (healer)Draco Imperialis - AD Imperial DK (tank)Cabed Naearamarth - AD Dunmer mDKValirion Willowthorne - AD Bosmer stamBladeTuruna - AD Altmer magBladeKheled Zaram - AD Redguard stamDKKibil Nala - AD Redguard stamSorc - StormproofYavanna Kémentárí - AD Breton magWardenAzog gro-Ghâsh - EP Orc stamWardenVidar Drakenblød - DC Nord mDKMarquis de Peyrac - DC Breton mSorc - StormproofRawlith Khaj'ra - AD Khajiit stamWardenTu'waccah - AD Redguard Stamplar
  • ShadowMonarch
    ShadowMonarch
    ✭✭✭✭

So because your sustain took a hit like magblade did when siphon strikes took a 400% decrease to stamina and magika sustain, you demand that you keep a monster set that gives you free 20k+ damage even though its terribly inbalanced in another aspect of the game?

Sounds like you should be trying to find a way to get your sustain back up not trying to effect another aspect of the game in a unrelated manor to how you were effected.

That is like if 1 kid breaks his toy so demands he gets to play the kid next doors toy.
  • Ch4mpTW
    Ch4mpTW
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So because your sustain took a hit like magblade did when siphon strikes took a 400% decrease to stamina and magika sustain, you demand that you keep a monster set that gives you free 20k+ damage even though its terribly inbalanced in another aspect of the game?

Sounds like you should be trying to find a way to get your sustain back up not trying to effect another aspect of the game in a unrelated manor to how you were effected.

That is like if 1 kid breaks his toy so demands he gets to play the kid next doors toy.

You must be joking. 20k free damage? I can’t even take you seriously.
  • Destruent
    Destruent
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Feanor wrote: »

Morrowind Sustain changes were because of PvE - notably well oiled Raid groups that could run base Regen because their teamplay was so good.

Edit:

Combat in ESO is, and has always been, about fast-paced action where resource management plays a large part in performing effectively. Player abilities in ESO specifically do not have cooldowns for this very reason - resource management is key and is a core pillar of the system. Due to the number of balance changes we have made over time, this core pillar of resource management has become minimzed; it’s become easier than ever to have high sustainability while still being fully maximized for damage.

As such, some significant changes to resource recovery are being made. In general, each of the changes falls into one of four major categories:
    Restores based on the maximum resource pool - These abilities were simply too effective once you obtained a significant pool size.
    Cost reduction & recovery passives - Several of these passives were over-performing and have been adjusted.
    Group based buffs/synergies - Several of these abilities were near-mandatory in end-game situations and have been adjusted.
    Resource spend/gain rates - Abilities that cost either too much or too little were adjusted to ensure that each class and build type are spending and gaining resources at roughly the same rate.
    Our goal with these changes is to have a combat system that reinforces decision making and resource management. Having players make choices between abilities, buffs and gear that provide more damage, or ones that provide more resource sustain, ultimately helps ensure that ESO's combat stays balanced and healthy for years to come.

Note the key word is group here. It was aimed at the so called infinite sustain raids.

Funfact: sustain is still endless with a max-dmg build, you just need to play a boring and slow heavy-attack- build. Oh....and DPS is even higher than before morrowind...
    So they nerfed everything to achieve nothing but more boring gameplay.

edit: endless sustain before: well coordinated group support
    endless sustain now: not release left mouse button

definetly a step to more high quality gameplay :trollface:
    Edited by Destruent on February 20, 2018 1:06PM
    Noobplar
  • Girl_Number8
    Girl_Number8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I want 40k to be sure~ What's the point of doing the new dungeon if the helm is garbage?
  • DoctorESO
    DoctorESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I want 40k to be sure~ What's the point of doing the new dungeon if the helm is garbage?

For fun! :D Or achievement points, or the Worm Cult Personality.
  • Feanor
    Feanor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Destruent wrote: »

Edit:

Funfact: sustain is still endless with a max-dmg build, you just need to play a boring and slow heavy-attack- build. Oh....and DPS is even higher than before morrowind...

True. I just wanted to point out it has nothing to do with PvP whatsoever.
  • Destruent
    Destruent
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Destruent wrote: »

Edit:

True. I just wanted to point out it has nothing to do with PvP whatsoever.

I agree on this, just think those patchnotes are pretty useless...bc (imo) it's only prove of ZOS biggest fail ever...nothing else :disappointed:
    Noobplar
  • xeNNNNN
    xeNNNNN
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ecru wrote: »
    I don't think it's OP in pve at all due to the required melee range, long cooldown, and the fact that it's single target, but nearly a full hp bar for dps from a proc seems like a bit much. I think it could be receive a nerf specific to pvp, 19k is too much "free" damage to be coming from a proc.

I've had the set and have used it since the first day of the patch too for what it's worth.

edit: I see a lot of people here defending this set in pvp. I'm guessing a lot of you either 1) have the set and don't want to lose your iwin button, or 2) don't pvp.

18-20k damage from something that requires you to do absolutely nothing but be in range of your opponent is absurd. The argument that it only does x dps over time due to it's long cooldown sounds like something someone who doesn't pvp would say, as damage over time is not nearly as relevant to pvp as burst damage is. The only counterplay to a proc that will kill you if someone sneezes on you while it's going off being "do nothing but heal/shield yourself" or "run away" should make it obvious to anyone that the set is incredibly OP, especially with the amount of cc in ESO.

On the contrary not all of us who "defend it" (which frankly isnt really an accurate statement) just want to abuse it, some of us actually care about the state of the game and just go off personal experience when using it.

18 seconds CD, is LONG especially in a fight where you're essentially bursted down rather quickly if people know what they're doing.

19k damage is one thing but can be mittigated, sorcs shield through mine, templars bol through it and wardens are just wardens lol Nightblades are probably the only ones who suffer the most from this set and DKs can just tank through (ive already tanked through it so).

The only place I can see it being broken broken is in Battlegrounds where you cannot mitigate fire damage with CP as there is No CP there and of course the no CP campaign.

Unless you're a dark elf or something you will get shredded by it, nightblades in particular.

I am still struggling too see how its massively broken purely due too my own exprience of course, i have rarely been killed by it and even when I have the TT didnt show nearly as much damage as some others have been stating. I really dont think they'll nerf Zaan purely for Battlegrounds either. You can get flame reached fairly easily and then moved away from and the beam is broken or just stun them to oblivion and a lot of other ways to deal with it. There are more ways to play against it than people are willing to admit.

I agree that sets are controlling how the game is played currently seeing as class balance is out the window (ZoS will never touch sorcs so whatever) but I dont think we should just nerf everything either, you nerf zaan and it will become just another useless monster set in pvp. Its unreliable in a fight due too there being many more burst options overall between each 18seconds and there is no guarantee that it will immediately proc from spamming light or heavies after the CD is done, I actually tested that in fights around alessia that 20% is pretty small. Especially considering a lot of fights tend to be ranged in cyro.

Remember guys it isnt oblivion damage its flame damage it CAN be mitigated and no this set hasnt just WON fights for me, often or not they've just tanked it. The funny thing is nerfing this set will just make it irrelevant and you might as well go back to using skoria. Thats the situation we have atm.

I do agree it does a lot of damage perhaps too much but really, there are many things in the game that are hardly balanced they touch Zaan they need to touch other things. Otherwise we're just back to square one, pre patch dragon bones PvP was tedious and boring af and dominated by sorcs *sigh*.
    Edited by xeNNNNN on February 20, 2018 5:27PM
    Ah, e-communities - the "pinnacle" of the internet............yeah, right.
  • bigdavid11b16_ESO
    bigdavid11b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    all the people defending zaan are the bads whom got CARRIED with viper tremor selenes
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Played in Cyro almost continuously from friday afternoon through sunday night, then played another 5-6 hours last night (rather large sample size in the new patch). I died to this set exactly 0 times. I had it proc on me maybe 3-4 times, each time I was with a few others pounding on a super tank. A roll dodge fixed the problem every time (you can roll while being taloned).

It's a new set (proc can be a surprise), and it is certainly powerful, but the counter-play is mindnumbingly easy, AND IT'S SPELLED OUT IN THE TOOL TIP. Break the freaking beam.
    all the people defending zaan are the bads whom got CARRIED with viper tremor selenes

Um, this is coming from primarily a magic player who typically wears a 1 piece monster set and no proc sets. Who are the bads again? Those that are are objectively looking at a skill or those crying because they cant manage to save enough stamina for a freaking roll dodge...
  • Maulkin
    Maulkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Played in Cyro almost continuously from friday afternoon through sunday night, then played another 5-6 hours last night (rather large sample size in the new patch). I died to this set exactly 0 times. I had it proc on me maybe 3-4 times, each time I was with a few others pounding on a super tank. A roll dodge fixed the problem every time (you can roll while being taloned).

It's a new set (proc can be a surprise), and it is certainly powerful, but the counter-play is mindnumbingly easy, AND IT'S SPELLED OUT IN THE TOOL TIP. Break the freaking beam.

Um, this is coming from primarily a magic player who typically wears a 1 piece monster set and no proc sets. Who are the bads again? Those that are are objectively looking at a skill or those crying because they cant manage to save enough stamina for a freaking roll dodge...

First let me just re-iterate that I'm impartial yet because I don't have a large sample size myself to form a personal opinion. But...

First you claim to have a large sample size yourself, then you claim you only got hit 3/4 times. That's contradicting. 3-4 times is not a large sample size. How long you played without getting hit, is about as relevant in this discussion as how long you played before Zaan came into the game. Completely irrelevant that is.

Secondly, you yourself claim that each time you got hit it was you with a few others Xv1'ing another (tanky) player. Which means you never came under any pressure since you were outnumbering them. You could simply do a dodge roll to free from talons, while the DK was probably too busy trying to survive his 1vX instead of driving home the advantage of the proc. If Zaan alone was strong enough to kill you while outnumbering that single player, it wouldn't just be OP, it would be god-mode broken.

All that tells me is that you have 0 real sample size of how it performs in even situations. So if I were you, I would refrain from making conclusion this early and wait for a) more people to get the set and b) get hit a lot more and under different circumstances.
    EU | PC | AD
  • ak_pvp
    ak_pvp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Zaan is OP as hell on my magdk.

I don't know what you other guys are smoking but it counters magika characters super hard. After 2 cc's they are completely out of stamina and are stuck standing in my zaan as I talon and fossilize spam them even more, I barley have to put dots on them and then just spam cc's and they drop lol. In cyro if I get in a 1v1 scenario with a magika character its like free win. Just reflect spam + cc spam and zaan does almost all the damage for me!

They simply do not have the stamina to deal with getting away from it and magnb and magsorc I can just spamreflect on all their dps so ez win, set is ridiculous and fun to 1 beam people with.

I feel like this is what someone who has never played a Mag DK would say by reading the skills alone.

Preface. I do not use Zaan. So no bias here.

I am not sure what bad opponents you are facing to drain them of all stam in 2ccs but no good player dies that easily.

And if they aren't ccd then Zaan is very easily countered. Purged, cloaked, rolled, misted, sprinted etc etc. And if you have a team mate then they can focus the target onto them and allow escape.

If you see a stam player, they probably have fm or shuffle to evade your roots. So you rely on Foss and hope Zaan process at the right time. If it's mag blade or magsorc, cloak, Zaan is on CD. Or streak, Zaan is on CD.

To this thread. If you die to Zaan. L2P
    MagDK main. PC/EU @AK-ESO
    Best houseknight EU.
  • JobooAGS
    JobooAGS
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps not be a vamp and therefore make zaan 25% weaker