Maintenance for the week of May 20:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 20
• NA megaservers for maintenance – May 22, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• EU megaservers for maintenance – May 22, 8:00 UTC (4:00AM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – May 22, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC) https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/658773

Loot Boxes now becoming Illegal. How does this effect Crown Crates?

• XRavishX
    XRavishX
    ✭✭
    I like crown crates. They aren't imposing, I'm not forced to buy them, and they have cool things. Every now and then I will buy some, but I'm not expecting anything crazy. I like seeing other people run around on the mounts you get from them or using the memento items.

The biggest complaint that I see when it comes to crown crates or any kind of loot box is that people wish they could just outright buy the items offered in the crates. They don't like having an RNG dictate whether they get something or not. I read and hear quite often something to the effect of "why don't they just put it on the crown store?!" My advice is to stop playing the game altogether, or any video game for that matter. Every enemy you defeat, treasure chest you open, and daily quest reward you receive has items that are gambled for. You take action in the game for the reward of a chance to get something. Sometimes people will spend great deals of time farming for these items. Maybe even some of those items people have farmed you can buy. Some you can't.

It's not like you can't eventually just buy things from the crown crates. Just keep saving the dupes and break down the potions and whatnot and you'll eventually have enough to outright buy something from the selection. Or not. Whatever. They're cosmetic things anyway. They help you in the game exactly zero. So whether you have them or not makes no difference. I liken it to me seeing a Dodge Viper on the road. I love those cars. I don't have one. Maybe if I keep saving my pennies I'll be able to afford one. Maybe. However, whether I have a Viper or some beater I get at the used lot, they both simply get me from point A to point B. I can't even say that one even gets me there faster than the other since I'll invariably get pulled over trying to push the limits of the Viper through traffic. That doesn't speed me up at all.

I'm just super confused as to why anyone is complaining about something they aren't forced to do. It's like complaining about TV or radio programming or the way someone runs their business. If you don't like it, don't participate. I think radio programming is repetitive. So, I stopped listening. I'm disappointed with most TV programs, so I stopped watching TV. I can name at least one restaurant that has really good food, but found out how the owner is so I don't support them by going anymore. Doing these things I don't miss out on music, television, or eating out. Why? Because we have choices falling out of our ears. I can listen to music on Amazon or Pandora, watch TV using Netflix or Hulu, and eat out at numerous other restaurants. If I decide I don't like ESO but still want to play an MMO or video games in general, I'll have anyone who is reading know that there are many, many, MANY choices out there. Trust me when I say that ESO isn't the only one out there and also trust me when I say that not all games have loot crates, although, I think you'll be hard pressed to find any game that doesn't have gambling (of your time instead of money).
    "Loot boxes aren't the problem, RNG is." -Me
    Options
  • Raideen
    Raideen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    "XRavishX wrote: »
    I'm just super confused as to why anyone is complaining about something they aren't forced to do.

Some, actually many people play MMO's to collect, be it mouths, armor, outfits, weapons etc. In ESO, the only way to get mounts is to pay large amounts of money for them, OR gamble a loot crate which can even be more money.

The issue is, game design changes to facilitate them making money off loot crates vs allowing drops to happen in game. Fun takes a back seat so they can make money first. The best game designers and games want to ensure that the player is having a good time and that the game is fun, when that happens profit will happen by default.

In every other mmorpg since the inception of mmorpgs. you can obtain these items in game through quests, dungeons, pvp, etc. These rewards are part of the fun, part of the excitement. However, in ESO you are only able to obtain these items by gambling, and by spending insane amounts of money.

When fun in game design takes a back seat to profit, those games have short shelf lives. Many people play MMORPG's as investments in entertainment. There are people who have played wow for 14 years and everquest for more. So, its no surprise that some people will get upset when they find a new MMO like this one with a rich history in lore and art that may not have the shelf life of some of its predecessors. Shelf life being directly tied to gamble crates and cash shops.

There are so many aspects of this game that are designed to get you to spend money in the crown store, or on loot crates its frankly sickening. I am sorry if you can not see that, but to people with design backgrounds this practice is extremely obvious.
    Edited by Raideen on January 17, 2018 12:02AM
    Options
  • GCypher87
    GCypher87
    ✭✭✭
    The pro's of crown crates outweigh the cons. They are an optional purchase. ESO is one of the best MMO's that doesn't require a sub to play. They have to make that money up somewhere or else the game will suffer. As for it being illegal in Belgium, it's unfortunate. My guess is that they'll just drop the crown crates in Belgium altogether, and anyone who would like to participate will just have to miss out. There are companies that do loot crates in a horrible way. *Cough cough* EA. But when you talk cosmetic rewards and things that over all do not interrupt the balance of the game, you are not punished for not participating. If anyone here watches Game Theory on youtube, you'll know they just did two episodes about loot boxes. They talk about loot boxes having a long history even before gaming. Magic the Gathering and Pokemon booster packs are the same as loot boxes just not as exciting to open. They're randomized rewards that are not determined until you open the pack. If taken to it's logical conclusion, if you're banning loot crates in games you should also be banning booster packs and collectible cards. There are a lot of toys, keychains, collectibles, etc. where you don't know what you're getting until you open the package. At most grocery stores they sell the little capsule toys as you're leaving. Where is the outrage?
    PC: @Cyffr
    Options
  • Coolits
    Coolits
    ✭✭✭
    At the end of the day now that loot boxes are under scrutiny from multiple legislators and lawmakers around the world things are going to change, the big question left is whether the industry self regulates or is forced to do the right thing and be responsible.

If there was no issue with loot boxes you have to ask yourself why would governments be getting involved in the first place?
    Edited by Coolits on January 17, 2018 11:03AM
    Options
  • Xeven
    Xeven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Remember when Paul Sage adamantly promised no microtransactions?

a47.jpg
    Options
  • Easily_Lost
    Easily_Lost
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I read how Crown Crates affects children. Where is the outrage teaching children to steal from people ( NPC ), or to break into homes and steal. Just a thought.
    PC - NA - AD
    started April 2015
    PVE & Solo only

Meet the LOST family: CP 1250+
    Easily Lost Crafter - lvl 50 - Sorcerer Orc ( knows all traits and most styles )
    Easily Lost-W - lvl 50 - Warden Imperial
    Forever Lost - lvl 50 Sorcerer

CROWN CRATES: It doesn't affect gameplay, it's not mandatory, it's cosmetic only. If it helps to support the game and ZOS, I support it! Say YES to crown crates.
    Options
  • Appleblade
    Appleblade
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coolits wrote: »
    If there was no issue with loot boxes you have to ask yourself why would governments be getting involved in the first place?

Did you just arrive on planet Earth?
    Options
  • JamilaRaj
    JamilaRaj
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    GCypher87 wrote: »
    The pro's of crown crates outweigh the cons. They are an optional purchase. ESO is one of the best MMO's that doesn't require a sub to play. They have to make that money up somewhere or else the game will suffer. As for it being illegal in Belgium, it's unfortunate. My guess is that they'll just drop the crown crates in Belgium altogether, and anyone who would like to participate will just have to miss out. There are companies that do loot crates in a horrible way. *Cough cough* EA. But when you talk cosmetic rewards and things that over all do not interrupt the balance of the game, you are not punished for not participating. If anyone here watches Game Theory on youtube, you'll know they just did two episodes about loot boxes. They talk about loot boxes having a long history even before gaming. Magic the Gathering and Pokemon booster packs are the same as loot boxes just not as exciting to open.

Because buying a booster pack was not that much of a gamble to begin with; ratio of common, uncommon and rare cards was guaranteed, which somewhat equalized total value of each booster pack, and, obviously, analogue cards ware freely tradeable, which equalized it further and moreover meant gamble could be avoided entirely by buying desired cards directly from players.
    They're randomized rewards that are not determined until you open the pack. If taken to it's logical conclusion, if you're banning loot crates in games you should also be banning booster packs and collectible cards.

Given that collectible card games are inherently P2W, who would miss them?
    But to be fair, they have one advantage over videogames: companies that produce collectible card games do not have nearly as firm grip on them as videogambling companies on theirs. For example, if Wizads of the Coast released a new edition and decided that it would drive sales with some new OP cards, that would every time you do damage have 5% chance to instakill your oponent, you could simply add house rule and forbid them. In videogame, you would have to play by ruleset decided by company that produces it, or worse, play opponents assigned by matchmaking system, which would rub OP items into your face until you would give up and pay.
    There are a lot of toys, keychains, collectibles, etc. where you don't know what you're getting until you open the package. At most grocery stores they sell the little capsule toys as you're leaving. Where is the outrage?
    Options
  • kyle.wilson
    kyle.wilson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SisterGoat wrote: »
    ESO is already M rated, so upping the rating is not going to work.

http://www.esrb.org/ratings/ratings_guide.aspx.
    An AO rating wouldn't be unreasonable. An AO rating would make the game unsellable in major stores.

vLFl6Jq.jpg

Edited by kyle.wilson on January 19, 2018 12:41AM
    Options
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is interesting that this thread was brought back to life since the mentioned actions are not likely to have an affect on ESO for years to come, if at all.
    Options
  • GCypher87
    GCypher87
    ✭✭✭
    JamilaRaj wrote: »
    But to be fair, they have one advantage over videogames: companies that produce collectible card games do not have nearly as firm grip on them as videogambling companies on theirs. For example, if Wizads of the Coast released a new edition and decided that it would drive sales with some new OP cards, that would every time you do damage have 5% chance to instakill your oponent, you could simply add house rule and forbid them. In videogame, you would have to play by ruleset decided by company that produces it, or worse, play opponents assigned by matchmaking system, which would rub OP items into your face until you would give up and pay.

What you're saying only applies to a p2w loot crate system. When you're talking cosmetic rewards the worst thing that happens is your opponent has a cooler mount and looks sweet while still posing the same threat as he would without it. It's the same with Rocket League's loot crates. Sure you look cooler, but that wont make you good. It'd be like your friend having a full art Zekrom vs your crappy regular art Zekrom. They do exactly the same thing, one just looks cooler doing it.

P.S. I would miss them a little.
    Options
  • JamilaRaj
    JamilaRaj
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What you're saying only applies to a p2w loot crate system. When you're talking cosmetic rewards the worst thing that happens is your opponent has a cooler mount and looks sweet while still posing the same threat as he would without it. It's the same with Rocket League's loot crates. Sure you look cooler, but that wont make you good. It'd be like your friend having a full art Zekrom vs your crappy regular art Zekrom. They do exactly the same thing, one just looks cooler doing it.

That part was not about crates. However, since you bring up cosmetic rewards, note that DLC dungeon run with random rewards, which are decidedly not cosmetic, is effectively a scam crate. DLC/dungeon cost some amount of money and though number of runs you can do is seemingly unlimited, each run requires some time to complete, and time you can spend on game (especially between this DLC and the next DLC, which will add even more OP items), is very finite, therefore number of runs you can possibly do is also finite. Amount of money divided by number of runs then gives price of each run or opening of scam crate to receive random reward.
    Granted, unlike classic scam crates, players can only buy them at fixed rate. Though ZOS may eventually start selling items that would amplify rewards for dungeon runs, instead of selling access to dungeons (which not only hinders their gambling potential, but also fragments player base).
    Edited by JamilaRaj on January 20, 2018 12:09AM
    Options
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I read how Crown Crates affects children. Where is the outrage teaching children to steal from people ( NPC ), or to break into homes and steal. Just a thought.
    It's in the same place it was 30 years ago, counting on the fact that anyone playing is mentally developed enough to know it's a game, which is by definition, not reality.

For 99.99% of the population, games are not teaching anyone anything other than how to play a game... (It also counts on the fact that their parents aren't complete idiots and actually puts the responsibility of teaching their children on them, not a digital entity.)

When's the last time you jumped out the window of the second story to get to street level because it was faster than taking the stairs? When's the last time you were accosted by Wal-Mart security because you picked up and an impulse buy item at the checkout lane to look at it?

The argument is as asinine now as it was then. D&D board games didn't convince people to massacre other people, neither does an MMO.

Edited by Merlin13KAGL on January 22, 2018 12:39PM
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
    Options
  • Lazrael
    Lazrael
    ✭✭✭
    While I think that making them illegal is a bit of an over reach, from a purely business ethics perspective I'd like to see crown crates die a fiery death.
    Artists and Theives...
    Options
  • GCypher87
    GCypher87
    ✭✭✭

That part was not about crates. However, since you bring up cosmetic rewards, note that DLC dungeon run with random rewards, which are decidedly not cosmetic, is effectively a scam crate. DLC/dungeon cost some amount of money and though number of runs you can do is seemingly unlimited, each run requires some time to complete, and time you can spend on game (especially between this DLC and the next DLC, which will add even more OP items), is very finite, therefore number of runs you can possibly do is also finite. Amount of money divided by number of runs then gives price of each run or opening of scam crate to receive random reward.
    Granted, unlike classic scam crates, players can only buy them at fixed rate. Though ZOS may eventually start selling items that would amplify rewards for dungeon runs, instead of selling access to dungeons (which not only hinders their gambling potential, but also fragments player base).

"In videogame, you would have to play by ruleset decided by company that produces it, or worse, play opponents assigned by matchmaking system, which would rub OP items into your face until you would give up and pay."

I'm assuming that's about p2w crates. Which does not apply when talking crown crates. It's cosmetic only and small perks like horse lesson upgrades that can be achieved in game.

"However, since you bring up cosmetic rewards, note that DLC dungeon run with random rewards, which are decidedly not cosmetic, is effectively a scam crate."

DLC's are way different than crates. You can still get these items without buying the DLC when they hit guild stores. It also requires TIME to farm, and not money. There's nothing wrong with DLC. ZOS has the right and is encouraged to bring more DLC to the market.

"Though ZOS may eventually start selling items that would amplify rewards for dungeon runs, instead of selling access to dungeons (which not only hinders their gambling potential, but also fragments player base)."

I doubt ZOS would actually sell items to enhance drops. I'm sure they see the flaw in that.
    Options
  • JamilaRaj
    JamilaRaj
    ✭✭✭✭✭

"In videogame, you would have to play by ruleset decided by company that produces it, or worse, play opponents assigned by matchmaking system, which would rub OP items into your face until you would give up and pay."

I'm assuming that's about p2w crates. Which does not apply when talking crown crates. It's cosmetic only and small perks like horse lesson upgrades that can be achieved in game.

"However, since you bring up cosmetic rewards, note that DLC dungeon run with random rewards, which are decidedly not cosmetic, is effectively a scam crate."

DLC's are way different than crates. You can still get these items without buying the DLC when they hit guild stores. It also requires TIME to farm, and not money. There's nothing wrong with DLC. ZOS has the right and is encouraged to bring more DLC to the market.

Nope, they are very similar. Some rewards are non-cosmetic, random, bind on pickup and drop in places only accessible from DLC zones, i.e. require payment.
    Some are indeed accessible through guild stores, but here is the catch: as ZOS keeps adding new DLC items that are superior to old, base game items, reliance of players without DLCs on trade for access to these superior items increases, while at the same time their ability to trade declines for the same reason; less and less of what they can obtain and trade with remains relevant.
    "Though ZOS may eventually start selling items that would amplify rewards for dungeon runs, instead of selling access to dungeons (which not only hinders their gambling potential, but also fragments player base)."

I doubt ZOS would actually sell items to enhance drops. I'm sure they see the flaw in that.

We will see. I do not know what was reason for ditching faction lock, but with regard to fragmentation of player base, it was much less troublesome than DLCs.
    Options
  • Azurya
    Azurya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is NOT gambling, cauze you can only get imaginair goods from it, which you can not monetize and therefor IT IS NO GAMBLING!
    If you are not a lawyer, don´t talk about laws and what they do to you! ;)
    Options
  • notimetocare
    notimetocare
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Juhasow wrote: »
    Crown crates in ESO are far from "predatory gambling boxes" so I doubt it'll touch them in any way.

From what I can tell they are now going after any game of chance. Also they are now targeting it because it allows people under the age of 21 to gamble. The developer also does need to pay a for a gambling licences and raise the games age to 21.

Definition of Gambling for US Law:
    A person engages in gambling if he stakes or risks something of value upon the outcome of a contest of chance or a future contingent event not under his control or influence, upon an agreement or understanding that he or someone else will receive something of value in the event of a certain outcome.

The end of that is important. Crown crates always give something of value. Whether you personally value the item or gems is irrelevant from a legal standpoint.

Otherwise collectible cards would be gambling. Thats all crown crates/loot boxes are
    Options
  • KraziJoe
    KraziJoe
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure I understand the hub bub, or is this all about stirring the pot, just because?
    Options
  • GCypher87
    GCypher87
    ✭✭✭

Nope, they are very similar. Some rewards are non-cosmetic, random, bind on pickup and drop in places only accessible from DLC zones, i.e. require payment.
    Some are indeed accessible through guild stores, but here is the catch: as ZOS keeps adding new DLC items that are superior to old, base game items, reliance of players without DLCs on trade for access to these superior items increases, while at the same time their ability to trade declines for the same reason; less and less of what they can obtain and trade with remains relevant.

We will see. I do not know what was reason for ditching faction lock, but with regard to fragmentation of player base, it was much less troublesome than DLCs.

The only similarity you listed, and actually apply, was that they cost money. That's it. I don't understand what you're saying and I have a feeling you don't either.
    Options
  • Coolits
    Coolits
    ✭✭✭
    It seems the US government is increasing the pressure concerning lootbox regulation, Washington Senator Kevin Ranker has put forward a bill to determine whether lootboxes/lockboxes in video games constitute gambling under state law.

http://massivelyop.com/2018/01/26/washington-state-senator-proposes-lockbox-gambling-investigation-in-new-bill/
    Options
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    KraziJoe wrote: »
    Not sure I understand the hub bub, or is this all about stirring the pot, just because?

It's all about stirring the pot. They have not become illegal and there has merely been some small talk that a couple nations are looking at if.

One being the USA where limited elected officials merely sais they would look at it which means almost nothing. If we actually knew how many bills were written than never even came uo for a vote let alone the ones that failed it would put things into perspective.
    Edited by idk on January 26, 2018 9:15PM
    Options
  • NeKryXe
    NeKryXe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was never forced to buy a crown crate and I never saw any content essential for the gameplay, so I really can't understand the problem with it. Probably another pathetic law created by the real criminals.
    Options
  • Coolits
    Coolits
    ✭✭✭
    The German Commision is now investigating lootboxes as a University of Hamburg study has concluded they show typical gambling market features.
    The move is apparently based on an as-yet unpublished University of Hamburg study that analyzes video game sales and business models, ultimately determining what most online gamers already know: that such games actively target whales, who are responsible for the majority of their revenue. This, the researchers reportedly conclude, is “a typical feature of gambling markets.”

It's going to be interesting to see where this all leads now that multiple countries and states are investigating how to legislate against lootboxes.
    Edited by Coolits on February 7, 2018 4:48PM
    Options
  • Radiance
    Radiance
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd like to see the Crown Crate showcases opened to selective purchase. I think they'd be pleasantly surprised to find people are actually willing to pay for a desired item but they do not desire paying 3-5 times as much as what the item is worth just to get a chance at a random draw... I've sworn off buying crates and haven't bought many regular crown store items as of late.
    I've become more and more disillusioned with their abusive marketing schemes to the point I find it almost repulsive...
    Options
  • Zbigb4life
    Zbigb4life
    ✭✭✭✭
    Turelus wrote: »
    If the selling of crime crates is stopped, is this going to have a negative impact on ESO's regular content schedule that has insofar been nonpareil to any mmorpg out there? That's what I am really concerned about, despite my disgust for crime crates.
    ESO will be fine. They will just put higher price more limited time items in the store. There are other games which managed to run just fine without these boxes. ESO was also doing fine before these boxes.

Even more ridiculous priced and useless items... Wow this game has gotten really good
    Options
  • Coolits
    Coolits
    ✭✭✭
    The Swedish Civil Affairs authority has also announced they are looking into lootboxes and state they may have legislation in place by January 2019.

The fact German authorities are involved now is probably going to cause a snowball effect across the whole EU.
    Options
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Swedish Civil Affairs authority has also announced they are looking into lootboxes and state they may have legislation in place by January 2019.

The fact German authorities are involved now is probably going to cause a snowball effect across the whole EU.

ESO's Crown Crates will probably slide under any EU rulings or edicts.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
    Options
  • Coolits
    Coolits
    ✭✭✭

Highly unlikely in their current form. If this goes in the direction it looks to be going this won't just have implications for ESO it's going to have implications for all gaming including mobile.
    Options
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Highly unlikely in their current form. If this goes in the direction it looks to be going this won't just have implications for ESO it's going to have implications for all gaming including mobile.

The game studios will circle the wagons around this cash cow and defend it to the death. In the end, the studios will win, I think, particularly where Crown Crates fall relative to "the line that shall not be crossed".
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
    Options
This discussion has been closed.