The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Grinding to 50 is Deterring me from Creating Alts. Why is it There?

• bhagwad
    bhagwad
    ✭✭✭✭
    AlnilamE wrote: »
    bhagwad wrote: »
    idk wrote: »
    It looks like the message has been loud and clear.

Leveling an alt to max level is so extreemly easy and especially so since the vet ranks have been removed.

It does seem that when leveling a new character to 50 is an arduous task that maybe that class doesn't suit the player. This make sense because of her e easy and fast it is to level up an alt.

I think a lot of people here are biased because they remember how bad things used to be. This is clouding their judgment about the actual situation at this point in time. For them, 10 hours of leveling is nothing because they used to spend 100 hours grinding vet ranks.

However, it 10 hours of mindless grinding is still 10 hours of mindless grinding. I say it's a problem. The fact that it's a lesser problem than before has no bearing on its status right now.

And just in case anyone needed reminding, this is for an alt character when you already have multiple max toons. You've seen and done it all before. Now you just need to hit 50 so you can start using the gear that you've already farmed, and go wail on a skeleton to get your rotations right.

Again, think about what you are asking for.

Are you asking for straight level 50 with 64 skill points and all skill lines at level 1?

Are you asking for skill lines to be leveled? If so, all of them or just some of them?

Are you asking for all the skill points from quests you've already done on a different character? What about skyshards you've already found?

Alliance ranks?

What I'm trying to say is that getting a level 50 character is not going to solve your problem and put you in front of your dummy to practice rotations if it doesn't come with skill points and skill lines unlocked.

And if you are going to go out and get all those skill points and skill lines (including Alliance Ranks if you need Caltrops and Vigor or Purge), then you will get to level 50 doing that anyway.

This is actually the closest real problem I've heard about leveling 1-50 automatically. I admit I'm not sure how it would work. On the other hand, unlocking a new skill and leveling it up when you're at max level and getting 100,000 XP per random dungeon daily with enlightenment is almost instantaneous. All it would need is a couple of runs. Or I could Dolmen run for an hour to rank it up.
    Edited by bhagwad on November 4, 2017 4:17PM
  • Vizikul
    Vizikul
    ✭✭✭✭
    You can solo skyreach even with a low lvl. All you need are AoE, healing and some defensive spells, CC's are helpful too.
    While the double exp event lasted I went in there with a lvl 30 sorcerer in all training gear to lvl up the vampire skill line. it took me 10 hours to bring the vampire skill line from lvl 1 to lvl 10.
    Pugging. Pugging all the way to victory.
    Imperial Dragonknight --- male, stamina, heavy & medium armor, dual wield, one hand and shield, two handed.
    Breton Templar --- female, magicka, light armor, restoration staff.
    Redguard Warden --- female, stamina, medium armor, bow.
    Breton Sorcerer --- male, magicka, light armor, destruction staff.
    Imperial Templar --- male, stamina, medium armor, two handed.

Daggerfall Covenant loyalist
  • bhagwad
    bhagwad
    ✭✭✭✭
    Vizikul wrote: »
    You can solo skyreach even with a low lvl. All you need are AoE, healing and some defensive spells, CC's are helpful too.
    While the double exp event lasted I went in there with a lvl 30 sorcerer in all training gear to lvl up the vampire skill line. it took me 10 hours to bring the vampire skill line from lvl 1 to lvl 10.

Wow. 10 hours huh? See, that's exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about. That is just a boring, mind numbing grind and there's no getting around it.
  • Serjustin19
    Serjustin19
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A certain AD once asked "Every time I see you, you are always low lvl. Why is that?" I could say I love healing, but terrible at it. Maybe I needed a break, I have 4 cp max characters. (3 on AD) 1 on (EP) I have 12 characters in total.

Out of the 4 maxed CP characters. I usually mostly use 2. 2 are my mains as well as Templar healer. 1 for AD and 1 for EP, this is why I have mostly low lvl Alts, because I hardly spend time with them.
    Formerly Serjustin19, Save for Forum Of Course.... Fiery_Darkness (PC NA) currently.
  • Kagetenchu
    Kagetenchu
    ✭✭✭
    Vizikul wrote: »

Wow. 10 hours huh? See, that's exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about. That is just a boring, mind numbing grind and there's no getting around it.

That's the vamp skill line though not his character level.

I might be fine with this as long as the only skill lines that get xp are the 3 class skills and only the equivalent if you had 2 skills from each class on your bar [about level 45 in each tree]. No weapon skills, no armor skills just the class skills.

Edit: And skills are un-morphed rank 1 or 2
    Edited by Kagetenchu on November 4, 2017 5:19PM
  • Motherball
    Motherball
    ✭✭✭✭
    I feel the opposite. Once I get to 50 I feel like deleting and starting over. I really wish there was an XP pause button so I could be lvl 35 indefinitly, or even better, once I hit 50, let me choose what level I want to be whenever I want.
    Edited by Motherball on November 4, 2017 6:03PM
  • bhagwad
    bhagwad
    ✭✭✭✭
    Motherball wrote: »
    I feel the opposite. Once I get to 50 I feel like deleting and starting over. I really wish there was an XP pause button so I could be lvl 35 indefinitly, or even better, once I hit 50, let me choose what level I want to be whenever I want.

I think this highlights the wide variety of goals for people in the game. And they're all equally valid.

For me, the game doesn't start until I'm at max gear, full divines, all skills maxed, and rotations are perfect. Everything till then is just an obstacle so I can finally start playing.

You have the opposing goal. Now while it might be impossible to make accommodations for everyone, at least all the major goals should be met. What is "major"? Number of people who have a certain end game goal.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still waiting to see who is going to win this epic battle between @bhagwad versus the forums ...

My opinion?

It’s so easy these days to level a character up to 50.

Not only that, but you still have to level skills ... something that goes along with leveling 1-50.

Being able to insta-buy a level 50 character in the Crown Store seems borderline P2W. ESO is the leader in MMOs in terms of staying away from P2W scenarios.

Edited by Taleof2Cities on November 4, 2017 7:22PM
  • Vizier
    Vizier
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While I can sympathize with the sentiment of the OP I have no sympathy for the OP. I play for the PvP. That means the questing, dungeon crawling, pledges, shard hunting, book hunting, has one goal in mind...PvP.

I THANK ZOS every time I get one of the toons I've had sitting in the wings for awhile up to 50. (This last event I leveled one from scratch and another that was sitting around 35 for...well a long time. I'm embarrassed to say.) This MMO, with the shared CP system is GREAT. I don't even want to bring up how it was under the veteran rank system.(shudder)

ZoS is pretty good about having double xp events that provide boxes with xp scrolls etc. When these events take place it's a great time to level a character but if you are not using crafted training gear and an extra xp potion or scroll you are doing it wrong.
  • Nogawd
    Nogawd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like many have said, what after buying a token to make the character 50?

Skills token?
    Fighters guild token?
    Mages guild token?
    Skyshard token?

This would be a horrible idea as many min-maxers already make new flavor of the month builds to take advantage of the system, this would just promote more abuse of it.

Sometimes the grind holds people back from creating that new character, and that is fine with me.
  • O_LYKOS
    O_LYKOS
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Levelling a character to 50 means (you'd think) said person would learn how to use that character in that space of time.

Instead of rolling a new character at max level, throw on some gear, and launch straight in to dungeons/trials without a clue how that character works.
    Edited by O_LYKOS on November 4, 2017 7:38PM
    PC NA - GreggsSausageRoll
    Xbox NA - CinnamonRoll266
  • phontom78kiss
    phontom78kiss
    ✭✭
    “You have the opposing goal. Now while it might be impossible to make accommodations for everyone, at least all the major goals should be met. What is "major"? Number of people who have a certain end game goal“

hmmm....”major” can be interpretered in so many ways..

Well I have 9 characters at max CP level...just created one to try a build and I am glad that my new character is not automatically max level as trying to understand how to play him would have been tougher as there are so many combinations. The beauty for me is that the quest to 50 gives me the opportunity to experiment different combinations (without too headache due to competitive play) that I can use either in solo or 4 man dungeon scenario..

The beauty of ESO is that it caters to everyone and not just a certain few. As in life, you can control your time by creating new opportunities within the scope of your environment or.....lol..
  • Runefang
    Runefang
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's a time sink designed to slow you from completing the game too quickly. I know people like to whine about grinding but once you remove it then the game gets even more boring because it's over much faster.
  • mirta000b16_ESO
    mirta000b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    1. What value does leveling to 50 bring me?

Learning a new class.
    2. What is the drawback of automatically leveling to 50?

A lot more clueless people in vet dungeons with unmorphed abilities at rank 1, being unable to replay the game in any way.
    3. For someone who only runs vet DLC dungeons, how can I level up that is:

a) As fast as Dolmen grinding
    b) A way to hone the skills I already use when running vet DLC dungeons

"Show me a faster way of leveling than the fastest most boring way found". Maybe you should ask them to nerf Dolmen exp, so that you would be less attracted to doing the most mindless most boring thing ever?

As for b, why not do normal DLC dungeons?

• Iselin
    Iselin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I think this highlights the wide variety of goals for people in the game. And they're all equally valid.

For me, the game doesn't start until I'm at max gear, full divines, all skills maxed, and rotations are perfect. Everything till then is just an obstacle so I can finally start playing.

You have the opposing goal. Now while it might be impossible to make accommodations for everyone, at least all the major goals should be met. What is "major"? Number of people who have a certain end game goal.

It sounds like you're a MOBA or FPS type of player whether you know it or not. And you wouldn't be alone: many more people play those than MMOs. Those games dispense with leveling so they should be right up your alley.

Why do MMOs have leveling? Because that is the kind of game that those of us who like MMOs like to play. They're different from the type of game you apparently like.

That's why your comments sound so weird here. Because you're trying to promote the non-leveling play style of other gaming genres into a genre that is all about leveling.

A lot of us wouldn't play the kind of ESO you want because when it comes to no leveling, lobbies with quick runs, there are plenty of better games to do that in... games that are designed that way.
  • bhagwad
    bhagwad
    ✭✭✭✭
    Iselin wrote: »

It sounds like you're a MOBA or FPS type of player whether you know it or not. And you wouldn't be alone: many more people play those than MMOs. Those games dispense with leveling so they should be right up your alley.

Why do MMOs have leveling? Because that is the kind of game that those of us who like MMOs like to play. They're different from the type of game you apparently like.

That's why your comments sound so weird here. Because you're trying to promote the non-leveling play style of other gaming genres into a genre that is all about leveling.

A lot of us wouldn't play the kind of ESO you want because when it comes to no leveling, lobbies with quick runs, there are plenty of better games to do that in... games that are designed that way.

I've given examples of MMOs like GW2, that allow for quick creation of max level characters as long as you've already played the game for a long time and have already maxed out characters before.

Is GW2 not an MMO then?

This argument you put forth lacks strength because what it means to be an MMO is constantly changing. There is nothing fixed about it.
  • bhagwad
    bhagwad
    ✭✭✭✭
    1. What value does leveling to 50 bring me?

Learning a new class.
    2. What is the drawback of automatically leveling to 50?

A lot more clueless people in vet dungeons with unmorphed abilities at rank 1, being unable to replay the game in any way.
    3. For someone who only runs vet DLC dungeons, how can I level up that is:

a) As fast as Dolmen grinding
    b) A way to hone the skills I already use when running vet DLC dungeons

"Show me a faster way of leveling than the fastest most boring way found". Maybe you should ask them to nerf Dolmen exp, so that you would be less attracted to doing the most mindless most boring thing ever?

As for b, why not do normal DLC dungeons?

"Learning a new class"
    "A lot more clueless people in vet dungeons with unmorphed abilities at rank 1, being unable to replay the game in any way."

Dolmen grinding gives neither of these. So if we can level up without learning a new class, we might as well be able to do it fast!
  • Iselin
    Iselin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I've given examples of MMOs like GW2, that allow for quick creation of max level characters as long as you've already played the game for a long time and have already maxed out characters before.

Is GW2 not an MMO then?

This argument you put forth lacks strength because what it means to be an MMO is constantly changing. There is nothing fixed about it.

There has always been a market for pre-leveled characters in MMOs. Some companies decided they wanted to compete with the black market sites and started selling them themselves. Maybe you should look into that if you're that kind of lazy.

Or is it just that you want that but you want it for free?
    Edited by Iselin on November 5, 2017 2:09PM
  • bhagwad
    bhagwad
    ✭✭✭✭

Is GW2 not an MMO then?

There has always been a market for pre-leveled characters in MMOs. Some companies decided they wanted to compete with the black market sites and started selling them themselves. Maybe you should look into that if you're that kind of lazy.

Or is it just that you want that but you want it for free?

I believe crowns can only be bought with real money. So no one's asking for anything free. Either real money, or effort via stuff dropped from vet dungeons maybe. For example, "Tomes of Knowledge" in GW2 are dropped as rewards for completing various high level content. Each tome grants 1 lvl on any of your accounts characters.

So you're putting in the effort either way. Only difference is that you're putting in the effort into content you enjoy, rather than mindless Dolmen grinding.
  • olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1-50 is not whats deterring me from playing my alts, its all the morphs, skilllines and undaunted to level.

PC EU
    PvP only
  • mirta000b16_ESO
    mirta000b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tomes of Knowledge" in GW2 are dropped as rewards for completing various high level content.

Practically a reward for PvP only. Mainly gotten in structured PvP which is available from level 1. Not really a "high level content" reward. Alternatively you can play a PVE lottery, of going to a vendor to pay 14 silver per tri-key piece (you need 3) and then opening infinite amounts of tri-key chests in hopes of getting one.
  • bhagwad
    bhagwad
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tomes of Knowledge" in GW2 are dropped as rewards for completing various high level content.

Practically a reward for PvP only. Mainly gotten in structured PvP which is available from level 1. Not really a "high level content" reward. Alternatively you can play a PVE lottery, of going to a vendor to pay 14 silver per tri-key piece (you need 3) and then opening infinite amounts of tri-key chests in hopes of getting one.

Haven't played in 2 years, so the tri-key system must have been after that. I used to play sPvP almost exclusively, so I had hundreds upon hundreds of tomes. Made leveling a new character almost instant!

My point is that being an MMO doesn't necessarily mean we have to owe allegiance to certain norms without questioning, by saying "It's an MMO! This is the way it's done!".
  • Linaleah
    Linaleah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Is GW2 not an MMO then?

except. we have already told you that in games like, say GW2. you STILL have to go through all the zones you just skipped with a token, because you need those extra skill points to unlock masteries, etc. and unlike ESO, GW2 downleveles you when you go into those zones, so you are exactly back where you started. the only good thing about GW2 max level token is that it places you exactly where ESO starts you off - allowing you freedom to go anywhere you want or need, from the start. lvl 80 token in GW2 is a faximily of one tamriel scaling.

and another game you brought up is WoW. which still makes you level and you still need to gear up. it just lets you skip old zones and go straight into expansion. something you can already do in ESO.

P.S. nowadays, people don't use tomes of knowledge to level alts. they save them to use at max level, to get spirit shards.
    Edited by Linaleah on November 5, 2017 6:04PM
    dirty worthless casual.
    Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the ***
    Lois McMaster Bujold "A Civil Campaign"
  • bhagwad
    bhagwad
    ✭✭✭✭
    Linaleah wrote: »

Is GW2 not an MMO then?

except. we have already told you that in games like, say GW2. you STILL have to go through all the zones you just skipped with a token, because you need those extra skill points to unlock masteries, etc. and unlike ESO, GW2 downleveles you when you go into those zones, so you are exactly back where you started. the only good thing about GW2 max level token is that it places you exactly where ESO starts you off - allowing you freedom to go anywhere you want or need, from the start. lvl 80 token in GW2 is a faximily of one tamriel scaling.

and another game you brought up is WoW. which still makes you level and you still need to gear up. it just lets you skip old zones and go straight into expansion. something you can already do in ESO.

P.S. nowadays, people don't use tomes of knowledge to level alts. they save them to use at max level, to get spirit shards.

I left before they introduced masteries etc, so I wouldn't know about that...Also, I remember the "downeleveling" thing was a joke, because mobs in lower levels would still die in one hit from a maxed out character due to all the gear etc which could only be equiped by a high level character. It's most definitely not "back to where you started". Far from it! One could kill an area boss in just a couple of hits, no problem.

As for WoW, I couldn't have brought it up, because I have never played WoW!
  • Linaleah
    Linaleah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Linaleah wrote: »

Is GW2 not an MMO then?

I left before they introduced masteries etc, so I wouldn't know about that...Also, I remember the "downeleveling" thing was a joke, because mobs in lower levels would still die in one hit from a maxed out character due to all the gear etc which could only be equiped by a high level character. It's most definitely not "back to where you started". Far from it! One could kill an area boss in just a couple of hits, no problem.

As for WoW, I couldn't have brought it up, because I have never played WoW!

could have sworn I seen WoW character boost being mentioned. may have been someone else. in any case, even back then, before the masteries (I quit shortly before heart of thorns was released) I distinctly remember having to collect the skill points or suffer the consequences of not having enough skill points to unlock all the passives. i also remember having to level each and every weapon from scratch (they removed that about a year after launch i think)

not to mention, due to the way scaling in ESO works - your low level character is scaled incredibly generously. almost ridiculously so. its done in order to compensate for lack of unlocked passives and such, but they may or may not have overcompensated for it. so yeah, it kinda works like in GW2 in terms of character power. and its not like your max level character starts out with amazing gear. boosted character gets a fairly baseline sate and non boosted character - you had to have farmed that gear for, so...

grinding dolmens for leveling is not just bad because its boring, but its bad because it doesn't really level anything that you actualy need for your eventually vet content running character. so why not run them through content that you would have to do anyways, WHILE leveling? normal dungeons give skill points and level undaunted. they also level your abilities in the environment where you unmorphed skills will not hinder your group's success in the way that they will in vet. pvping in under 50 campaign (or in 50 campaign, your choice) levels your assault and support skill lines which you need anyways, and under lvl 50 campaign is much more forgiving than something like vivec. etc etc. unless what your are asking for is a fully level character with everything unlocked (which you do NOT get in any MMO, ever)
    dirty worthless casual.
    Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the ***
    Lois McMaster Bujold "A Civil Campaign"
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Translation: You must always suffer through a bad situation instead of trying to change it for the better. Otherwise, you're a "whiny child".

Situation vs your own attitude/approach

Which one can you control?

Hint: it's not the situation.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

You still haven't given me a logical reason as to what purpose the leveling process serves. .

Reasons have been given. You disagree, that does not make them illogical or invalid.

It just means you disagree.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Khenarthi
    Khenarthi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wait... OP only wants to play the same 6 boring vet DLC dungeons again and again and again, but argues with nearly everyone else that 1-50 is grindy? Really?!
    PC-EU
  • MudcrabSammich
    MudcrabSammich
    ✭✭✭
    i to 50 the first time is ok, new to the game, you need to learn the essentials. 1 to 50 the second time around is a drag. For alt characters after the 1st one is done, should be automatic level 50, go earn and learn your skills and gear and have fun!
  • agegarton
    agegarton
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    There’s a simple answer to this: a Crown Store item that allows you to level up a new alt to Level 50, but which only works when at least one of your characters has completed Cadwell’s Gold. That way it’s optional, and you will have demonstrated that you have completed much of the main game.