The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Loss of sound when large battle happens in Cyro

• olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Arthg wrote: »
    Hey folks,

I have a few questions for those of you experiencing this problem:

1) Roughly how many combatants are in the fight when you experience this? 5? 10? 50? 100?
    2) In which areas do you experience this problem? Just in keeps, resource points, or bridge choke points? Or anywhere there seem to be enough people fighting?
    3) What other performance issues do you note occurring, if any, while this happens? IE does the game also lag, do you notice any missing visual effects, etc?
    4) After leaving combat does your audio return to normal? If not, what sounds seem to not return as you would expect?

Thanks for popping in.
    From my experience on PC/EU Sotha Sil (windows 7, nVidia GTX680m with latest drivers) :

1) 20+, sometimes just against mobs in keeps, and no enemy players around.
    2) Anywhere, as long as there are a lot of fighting people around.
    3) No other issues apart from sound loss.
    4) Sometimes just taking a few steps away from the fight gradually brings the sound back. It sort of fades back in.

Yes, PCEU vivec, pretty much just like this.

PC EU
    PvP only
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey folks,

1) Roughly how many combatants are in the fight when you experience this? 5? 10? 50? 100?
    2) In which areas do you experience this problem? Just in keeps, resource points, or bridge choke points? Or anywhere there seem to be enough people fighting?
    3) What other performance issues do you note occurring, if any, while this happens? IE does the game also lag, do you notice any missing visual effects, etc?
    4) After leaving combat does your audio return to normal? If not, what sounds seem to not return as you would expect?

This actually happened to me the other day in overland PvE. At first, it would happen infrequently--maybe once in half an hour. And as time wore on, it became more and more frequent to where it seemed like it was always happening and the game had no sound. By this point, I suspected that it might have something to do with my client not having been restarted for days, so I restarted my game client (and have been more careful about not letting it run for too long) and it hasn't happened since.

So my best guess is a resource leak of some sort.
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • Sarousse
    Sarousse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey folks,

Thanks for answering.

Here are my answers :

1) I'd say 20+.
    2) Anywhere where its crowded with people fighting and using spells.
    3) Well, usually the FPS is low because of numerous people fighting (if it's in PvP, you can add to that the perma FPS drop). Nothing special about lag. Nothing about missing visual effects.
    4) After leaving combat, the audio returns to normal. It also can return to normal if enough players die.

Edited by Sarousse on October 31, 2017 4:24PM
  • Dreyloch
    Dreyloch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey folks,

With all respect to you and the Dev team, this has happened in the past. Not sure why bugs in this game are able to come back. Also not sure how this wasn't experienced by any Dev that might be playing in Cyrodiil. Would be great if some could get on prime time U.S. on Vivec and just see for yourselves. Could be the easiest way to squash it for good =/

I'm not playing the game atm, but I know we've had this sound issue many times in the past. Everything the other posters are saying sounds about right. Typically larger battles, really doesn't matter where, lag for me personally would depend on how much of a battle it was. I.E. all 3 factions at the last Emp Keep. The sound returns, sometimes mid-battle for a few seconds and goes away again. It eventually comes back to normal after the battle is over or enough people have died/left the area.
    Edited by Dreyloch on October 31, 2017 5:31PM
    "The fear of Death, is often worse than death itself"
  • IcyDeadPeople
    IcyDeadPeople
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hey folks,

I've experienced this about 5 or 6 times during past couple weeks. Each time it was inside a keep and there was a large DC zerg (at least 40 or 50+) inside the keep controlled by EP. Majority of the times it occurred inside Chalman Keep.

I didn't experience any noticeable rubberbanding / latency issues, and visual effects seemed to be firing properly.

The audio returned to normal but sometimes it took several minutes or partially returned then promptly went out again.

PC Specs / i7-6700k, GTX 1060 6GB, 16GB RAM

Edited by IcyDeadPeople on October 31, 2017 5:31PM
  • Moloch1514
    Moloch1514
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PC-NA Vivec

10+ in combat
    Anywhere 10+ are fighting
    Audio cuts out until you port to a location with no fighting ; havent noticed lag during this
    Edited by Moloch1514 on October 31, 2017 5:47PM
    PC-NA
  • RMerlin
    RMerlin
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pretty much the same experience as reported here: 10+ players fighting, happens pretty much anywhere in Cyro where you meet as many players (so far it mostly happened while at keeps, forts or on resources).

The symptoms are quite similar to the same bug that happened 12-18 months ago, except it seems to happen more easily (the original bug mostly happened on very large scales - now, it happens on small to medium scale fights).

Before Update 16, it would sometimes occur, but very rarely, and only on very large scale battles. Not sure if it`s the same bug that`s happening more easily now, or if it`s a different issue.

For additional reference, this is under Windows 10, with a Soundblaster Z (I don't use Alchemy).
  • VirtualElizabeth
    VirtualElizabeth
    ✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_CaseyCoffman

1) Roughly how many combatants are in the fight when you experience this? 5? 10? 50? 100? Will start normally at around 20 plus for me
    2) In which areas do you experience this problem? Just in keeps, resource points, or bridge choke points? Or anywhere there seem to be enough people fighting? Anwhere there seems to be enough people fighting
    3) What other performance issues do you note occurring, if any, while this happens? IE does the game also lag, do you notice any missing visual effects, etc? Game generally doesn't lag for me but I have been thrown up into the "blue nothingness" from time to time
    4) After leaving combat does your audio return to normal? If not, what sounds seem to not return as you would expect? It pops in and out but in general when the fight ends, sound returns

I have to also add I did not have this issue prior to CWC being released
    @ElizabethInTamriel
    NA/PC
    Eleanour Masterham - Breton Templar
    Elise Masterham - Breton Magicka Nightblade
    Elinora Valen - Dunmer MagDK
    Elsa Masterham - Breton Mag Warden
  • SirAxen
    SirAxen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tyvarra wrote: »
    That can't be right. ZOS improved performance, there are no issues!

Jokes aside. Gina said there will be campaigne adjustments when update 16 goes live. No informations about that until today but many many many new bugs.

No sound is the most annoying. But seriously ZOS do something about the population imbalance. On Vivec EP is always low and on Sotha its AD and DC while EP is locked (speaking for EU). Its no fun for either party. We are complaining about this for years. DO SOMETHING FFS before all long time players leave. Plainly speaking the system is *** at the moment.

According to these forums, long-time players have already left three years ago.
  • natefiaccob14_ESO
    natefiaccob14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Hey folks,

• When there is 20+ in a fight the sounds goes
    • Anywhere there is a lot of fighting.
    • The game used to never lag for me but since patch it even lags at times without sound and then an occasional DC
    • Sound returns after fight
  • Morgul667
    Morgul667
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1) Id say 20+ or 50+, it happens when big fights occurs
    2) Only seen in keeps so far but this is where the big fights are
    3) No visual effect issues noted, but lag as usual, no more, no less
    4)war machines and environment sound come back firsty, music later on
  • kyle.wilson
    kyle.wilson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    At least we are getting response from ZOS faster than last time this happened.
  • Vizier
    Vizier
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey folks,

1. I've had it happen while in a small group of 4-5 guild mates and we be fighting a similarly sized group. It's been pretty consistent that that is the threshold. It's guaranteed to happen with conflicts larger than that.
    2. Everywhere
    3. I'm not noticing any performance issues that would indicate this triggering. The connection, framerates etc, appear to be no different than before the last couple patches for me.
    4. After combat sound returns. I haven't noticed whether of not it comes back after I "leave combat" officially. I don't believe there is a correlation there but not discounting it.
  • Maryal
    Maryal
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I know a lot of people are saying 20 combatants, but that would only be 10 each side, and that number is too low. I would say it's more like 30+ if siege weapons / oils are involved; roughly around 35-40+ in areas without siege weapons

Experienced the problem atop keep walls (defending), outside keeps (areas where people typically use siege weapons), inside keeps (after enemy has breached wall / door) usually oils are used, (no other siege), resource fights (siege weapons involved), in the field between Aless bridge and Sejanus (no siege involved, but fights are significantly larger,. 35-40 players)

[ 3) What other performance issues do you note occurring, if any, while this happens? IE does the game also lag, do you notice any missing visual effects, etc?
    I'm not 100% positive, but I seem to recall not seeing much, if any, zone chat in the chat window when the sound cuts out. Honestly, where I used to experience lag (before CWC), now I experience 'no sound'

Yes, moving a few steps away from the main combat area will cause sound to return (note: 'being out of combat, as in 'sneak eye closed won't cause sound to return if others are heavily engaged in combat all around you ... but, if you literally move a few steps away from where heavy combat is taking place (if combat is outside), then sound usually returns). If sound doesn't work outside, it will work inside (assuming the interior hasn't been breached yet) and visa versa.

As a side note - I'd much rather have this problem with sound than the lag I experienced pre CWC.
    Edited by Maryal on November 1, 2017 2:07AM
  • pzschrek
    pzschrek
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'd agree with the 20+ players/anywhere with close quarters. The more tight the battle area is, the smaller the number of players needed to cut sound. I've had full sound for faction-on-faction open field rubberband melee fights, yet usually have it cut immediately for a 12 v 12 keep fight.

It's unrelated to frame rate/lag, though correlated since they both happen with a lot of players around. I turned my graphics settings down a notch and this improved lag/framerate but the sound issue remained unaffected.

It happened before this patch, but only, say, with a couple faction-stacks fighting on the flags with literally a hundred or more total players on the inner. Now it happens routinely.
    “The enemy is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which side he is on.”
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hey folks,

It most often happens with:
    1) 30+ players
    2) in and around keeps
    3) skill lag and fps drops, yes. Visual effects I'm not sure; every now and then you get invisible siege and negates and destro ults still, but this happens even in smaller fights, too.
    4) When conditions are removed, audio returns. Sometimes audio will partially return during the fight and fade again.

1, 2 and 3 are correlated, I think. This happens most often to me in PC NA Vivec, but I have also had it happen on Shor when there are enough numbers and you get the lag and fps drops at those times.

I don't use battle music.
  • Agrippa_Invisus
    Agrippa_Invisus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    To add to this thread --

Yesterday while grinding Skyreach with a friend to get my sorc to 50, the sound kept cutting out each run through. It would cut out earlier and earlier as we went through the large pulls until by the end of the second hour of grinding, the sound cut out permanently and would not return until I restarted the client.
    Agrippa Invisus / Indominus / Inprimis / Inviolatus
    DragonKnight / Templar / Warden / Sorcerer - Vagabond
    Once a General, now a Citizen
    Former Emperor of Bloodthorn and Vivec
    For Sweetrolls! FOR FIMIAN!
  • Docmandu
    Docmandu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guessing it's part of their "performance" fix for the last DLC.. just cut out sound when there's more than 10 ppl fighting. *sigh*
  • Docmandu
    Docmandu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    At least we are getting response from ZOS faster than last time this happened.

I would wait with cheering until we have a fix. Not the first time they acknowledge something is horribly broken, then wait for the next major DLC to incorporate the fixes.
  • TorvenTool
    TorvenTool
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Me: I experienced it while 5 players sieging and some (around 5) enemies defending with sieges. And it occours in larger battles. It seems there is a very early sound limit.

Me: everywhere. And the sound even disappears when u take a ressource with a group of 10 and no enemies.

Me. Some minutes ago I had a nice ping of 140 while we are defending Alessia against reds and blues. It looked like there were lots of players on each side. And lately I fought in a small scale group of 8 against around 5 blues, ping was permanently at 60-80....but no sound.

Me: Yes...after the environment calms the sound comes back but if there are only a few enemies in the area...the sound drops instantly.

Thanks for taking care.

BTW:
    The german players are really really annoyed because they don't read anything from ZOS regarding this game breaking issue. Do something please.
    Edited by TorvenTool on November 1, 2017 8:46PM
    Ich bremse auch für Bergblume und Akelei.

PC-Spieler, da zu alt für Konsolen.
  • melloni_aleb16_ESO
    melloni_aleb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Hey folks,

1) massive numbers ( even if you are just in the neighborhood , not inside the fight)
    2)Anywhere
    3) Lag ? Missing visual effect ? itìs a joke?ahaha this game in campaign with 3 faction locked and in fight run with 10-15 fps and perma-lag ( with fiber and 4k euro of pc )...you should know -.-
    4)when a faction wins and the number of players in the area decreases YES audio return
    Edited by melloni_aleb16_ESO on November 1, 2017 10:26PM
    DC|EP|AD EU .:. Claymore - all classes DK/Sorc/Nb/templar .: Retired :.
    DC NA server with 400 ping - DKs Vraccàs

Philosophy of the poor .: "What you cannot beat ..zerg him " :.
  • Sarousse
    Sarousse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just fyi it also happens in pve. Just go in any donjon, pull a large pack of mobs (30+) and boom here goes your sound away.
  • Feanor
    Feanor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    3. Along with the sound failures I have a bug I have not encountered in a long while. Yesterday whole texture blocks failed to render (missing doors at Sejanus, no ground at BRK lumber). In addition to that I was suspended mid air in movement twice. MJ would have been envious of that hang time.

All of that occurred when the 50 player small scale EP on Sotha Sil EU were in the vicinity.
    Main characters: Feanor the Believer - AD Altmer mSorc - AR 46 - Flawless Conqueror (PC EU)Idril Arnanor - AD Altmer mSorc - CP 217 - Stormproof (PC NA)Other characters:
    Necrophilius Killgood - DC Imperial NecromancerFearscales - AD Argonian Templar - Stormproof (healer)Draco Imperialis - AD Imperial DK (tank)Cabed Naearamarth - AD Dunmer mDKValirion Willowthorne - AD Bosmer stamBladeTuruna - AD Altmer magBladeKheled Zaram - AD Redguard stamDKKibil Nala - AD Redguard stamSorc - StormproofYavanna Kémentárí - AD Breton magWardenAzog gro-Ghâsh - EP Orc stamWardenVidar Drakenblød - DC Nord mDKMarquis de Peyrac - DC Breton mSorc - StormproofRawlith Khaj'ra - AD Khajiit stamWardenTu'waccah - AD Redguard Stamplar
    All chars 50 @ CP 1700+. Playing and enjoying PvP with RdK mostly on PC EU.
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just to add, sometimes partial sound cuts out taking a resource, even if you are solo. You are left with just the npc voices.
  • dennissomb16_ESO
    dennissomb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey folks,

I have had this sound loss now with as few as 10-15 players in a fight (used to only happen with 70+ players in an area fight). It has happened in keeps, towers, and resources. At the time of the sound loss I have had fps between 50-90, and latency typically between 120-150. If the fight goes on long enough I have had sound return during the fighting. If it is a short fight sometimes the sound still will not return for a couple of minutes. I have not noticed any other issues during these sound losses typically (huge fights of course will have latency and some fps issues)
    This is on PC NA. my computer uses on board sound chip set vs separate sound card. GTX 970 video card so powerfull enough for medium graphics settings
  • Dragath
    Dragath
    ✭✭✭✭
    Arthg wrote: »
    Hey folks,

1) 20+, sometimes just against mobs in keeps, and no enemy players around.
    2) Anywhere, as long as there are a lot of fighting people around.
    3) No other issues apart from sound loss.
    4) Sometimes just taking a few steps away from the fight gradually brings the sound back. It sort of fades back in.

qft
  • Gan Xing
    Gan Xing
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hey folks,

1) 20+
    2) All three, or yea anywhere that enough people are fighting
    3) I'm not experiencing as much lag as I would expect
    4) Audio returns to normal after the number of enemy combatants drops below a certain threshold... I don't know what that number is...
    Gan Xing - Crafting Nightblade
    Elrana Tinuviel - Hybrid Dragonknight
    Elentári Peregrine - Sorcerer "bank"
    Rán Xīng - Hybrid Templar
    Laurïsil Imlachwen - Stamina Templar
    Helotë Tinuviel - Hybrid/Magicka Warden
    Odin banker - obv banker
    Yan of the Red Mountain - lvl 3 DK - not sure when I will work on em

Seeks the unusual and unique playstyles...
  • Elong
    Elong
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Might only be fighting 10 people and it goes out now. Absolute shambles.
  • HoloYoitsu
    HoloYoitsu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    What if ZOS is just trying to do a deafness awareness month or something?
  • Undefwun
    Undefwun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope you're not saying this can not be re-created in the office? Too many ppl saying this in game.

1) 10+ Cyro or Trials
    2) Anywhere there seem to be enough people fighting
    3) Since I'm on aussie ping. 250 at best... always a bit of lag.
    4) Once I'm away from combat yes. So either fight over or ressing at keep.
    Drank Sinatra Sr - PvP Magblade - DC
    Juggathot - PvP Mag Sorc - DC
    Jedi Mind Crits - PvP A-Hole Bowblade - DC
    Dollar Store Thor - PvP Stamplar - DC
    The Bone Sumpremacy - baby Stamcro - DC
    Wârden Freeman - PvP Stamden - DC (on hold)
    Lauryn Heal - PvE Magplar DPS - DC

Lil Orc Chop - PvP Stam Sorc - EP
    Hamuel L Jackson - PvE DPS & PvP Stam DK - EP
    Chandler Bling - PvP Magden - EP

Mahalia Lightborn - exiled crafting toon - cos you know, she's AD