Loss of sound when large battle happens in Cyro

• Tyrion87
    Tyrion87
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    - Which version of the client are you using? PC? Mac? 32 or 64bit?
    - PC/EU. 64bit.

- What other audio programs are you running while playing (Netflix, YouTube, Spotify, etc)
    - None.

- Do you notice any particular abilities being used when this occurs?
    - No particular abilities. Just when many things happen at the same time. Mostly in Cyrodiil during big battles with many players around. Tbh it's hard to believe for me that you haven't experienced it by yourselves since the loss of sound in big fights in Cyrodiil happens most of the time for me. But also in PvE. A couple days ago I was doing vHoF and I lost my sound on our first trash pull. In trials it is really frustrating since it is harder to follow some mechanics without a sound.
  • Elrosahir
    Elrosahir
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hey folks,

We've been fighting alongside you in Cyrodiil, watching and listening to fights happen. We've not yet experienced this issue ourselves.

Your answers to some additional questions may assist us:

64 bit
    - What other audio programs are you running while playing (Netflix, YouTube, Spotify, etc)
    Nothing, only teamspeak
    Nope
    - If you have video capture of this occurring, share it. :)
    I can make it

But its NOT cyro only. Also in all Trials and overland sometimes.
    Ariana Elensar - Magicka Sorcerer
    Aldmeri Dominion - EU - PC
  • Zaldan
    Zaldan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey folks,

We've been fighting alongside you in Cyrodiil, watching and listening to fights happen. We've not yet experienced this issue ourselves.

sorry but I call ***, there's no way, none
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.
    Niidro tiid wah fusvok dirkah.

aka.@Cuthceol
  • AllPlayAndNoWork
    AllPlayAndNoWork
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey folks,

I have a few questions for those of you experiencing this problem:

1) Roughly how many combatants are in the fight when you experience this? 5? 10? 50? 100?
    2) In which areas do you experience this problem? Just in keeps, resource points, or bridge choke points? Or anywhere there seem to be enough people fighting?
    3) What other performance issues do you note occurring, if any, while this happens? IE does the game also lag, do you notice any missing visual effects, etc?
    4) After leaving combat does your audio return to normal? If not, what sounds seem to not return as you would expect?

1) Every big battle (zergs & large scale fights)
    2) Everywhere (all keeps and resources)
    3) Weapon swap is lagged and sometimes it doesn't swap at all (as soon as the battle is over it returns to normal) ((This could just be me after being away for so long)).
    4) When the battle size decreases to small scale encounters or stops, sound returns quickly
  • Moloch1514
    Moloch1514
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_CaseyCoffman are you testing PC-NA Vivec? If so during what time frame? That is a component...all factions need to be pop locked and you have to find 2 large groups fighting.
    PC-NA
  • Acht88
    Acht88
    ✭✭
    Problems with sounds observed in almost everyone.
  • EdmundTowers
    EdmundTowers
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_CaseyCoffman

64 bit

- What other audio programs are you running while playing (Netflix, YouTube, Spotify)?
    GOM Music Player for tunes and Discord for voice comms with my group.

I haven't noticed any specific abilities causing it. I just notice that it tends to occur in large battles involving a lot of players in one location. It tends to start the moment large groups collide. Everyone in my group experiences the same loss of sound.

Here is a large battle from Vivec Monday morning 11/13: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mH8ZpyuzHE&t=2s
    No Sound Bug Time Stamps:
    3:00 - 3:33 game sound all gone
    4:15 - 5:00 game sound all gone
    5:18 - 5:51 game sound all gone
    6:11 - 6:50 game sound keeps cutting on and off, some skills make sound effect, some dont.

Pretty much the sound would go off each time a lot of AD jumped into the EP. Sound appeared to work fine when AD and EP were just poking each other from range.

Here is another battle from Sotha Sil Saturday evening 11/11: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RK84LQUAMxo

No Sound Bug Time Stamp:
    1:52 - 2:50 game sound all gone

Game sound went out when EP attacked AD on the backflag and seems to comeback once all the EP died. Player numbers were a lot smaller than the Vivec video. I was surprised to get this bug in Sotha as well.

BTW, the cha-ching sound is my kill counter add on. It goes off when an enemy player I helped kill respawns. For some reason that sound appears to still work when the game sound cuts off.
    Edited by EdmundTowers on November 14, 2017 6:18PM
    Co GM of Imperium of the Eagle, PvP Guild NA PC, ~Aldmeri Dominion~
    Tyrael Allynna Aldmeri Magplar
  • Inig0
    Inig0
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hey folks,

Hi! Glad to see there is some ZOS comments on this topic as its quite a big deal to a lot of the players in this game. If youre looking to recreate the scenario where that might happen, like a lot of people have been suggesting just pop into vivec about primetime 4-5pst 7-8est or whenever the queue is about 30-50. Head over to bleakers and i assure you, your sound will drop. Hope that helps and i would love to see this get resolved too!
    GM: Mechanically Challenged
    In game - @Inig0
    Sorc - Inigo- Beautiful Chocolate Man
    NB - Raphiki - Beautiful Chocolate Man
    Temp - Ineegø - ınıgo
    DK - Inigø - Alfeus - Down for Maintenance
    Warden - Help I Made a Warden
    PC NA
    Youtube Stuffs
    Only the best memes die twice
  • Gan Xing
    Gan Xing
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hey folks,

PC 32 bit (i think)
    audio programs usually are things like discord or teamspeak, sometimes i don't even have those on
    no particular abilities... it just happens
    no video....

Gan Xing - Crafting Nightblade
    Elrana Tinuviel - Hybrid Dragonknight
    Elentári Peregrine - Sorcerer "bank"
    Rán Xīng - Hybrid Templar
    Laurïsil Imlachwen - Stamina Templar
    Helotë Tinuviel - Hybrid/Magicka Warden
    Odin banker - obv banker
    Yan of the Red Mountain - lvl 3 DK - not sure when I will work on em

Seeks the unusual and unique playstyles...
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey folks,

How is that even possible? Log onto vivec PC NA around 10:30 PM and hang around Chalman for about 5 mintutes and you'll have all the date you need.

The answer to all your questions are "the same as before, except it looks like it takes about 25 combatants to lose sound instead of 15."
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Will say this, I was in a vHRC for the weekly last night, we lost sound during multiple boss fights. There was a lot of AoEs and stuff and ultimate's but we had done a Olms+Felms vAS just before that and sound never dropped but it did constantly in vHRC.
  • CaveSquirrel
    CaveSquirrel
    ✭✭
    The Shadowcasters-Adds in CWC, (specially the ones that you fight when youre doing the "Crow-War"-Quest) also made me lose the sound upon them casting there one AoE Skill.

Otherwise its the same for me in PvP, with no Sound @64 bit Client-
  • Biro123
    Biro123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Been to the doctors twice to get my hearing checked. They had a really good look in there and finally concluded 'yup, no brain'.
    Hey folks,

How is that even possible? Log onto vivec PC NA around 10:30 PM and hang around Chalman for about 5 mintutes and you'll have all the date you need.

The answer to all your questions are "the same as before, except it looks like it takes about 25 combatants to lose sound instead of 15."

That was my thought too.. Seriously, since CWC, I'm playing more without sound than with.
    Vivec, EU primetime, any largescale battle. No other programs running - 64bit client (I think)
    Sometimes all it takes is another group coming into the area - nothing to do with particular abilities.
    Minalan owes me a beer.

PC EU Megaserver
    Minie Mo - Stam/Magblade - DC
    Woody Ron - Stamplar - DC
    Aidee - Magsorc - DC
    Notadorf - Stamsorc - DC
    Khattman Doo - Stamblade - Relegated to Crafter, cos AD.
  • Hookgrin
    Hookgrin
    ✭✭✭
    In each of the videos above, I noticed that you don't here background music when you can hear battle sounds. When the battle sounds stop, you here background music. You never here both at the same time.
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_CaseyCoffman thanks for responding. Here are my video feeds showing 15 seconds before and 15 seconds after sound cuts out.

My comp specs are shown in the video comments.
    I do not have Spotify or YouTube running. But I use shadowplay and teamspeak.

Test 1 (chal mile gate):
    https://youtu.be/kkA95tLUrQU

Test 2 (chal gate again):
    https://youtu.be/ijiVJcL9g5g

Test 3 (chal keep):
    https://youtu.be/xtDSB4yUgkU

Observations:
    - eye of flame begins the cutting out of sound for me in a few situations. Also blood rain healing animation from earthgore monster helm.
    - sound cuts out if near players that are bunched up (less than 4 meters). But sound comes back when players are at 8 meters apart (video test 1 or 2 shows this observation).
    - keep fights do trigger the sound quickly. But sound can also come back if you find yourself away from the bunched up players. Test 3 shows my toon in one of the towers in chal where the sound will return despite abilities being cast 28 meters away.

Hypothesis:
    - I'm thinking it could be related to animation loading priorities for the new scene graph changes made in CWC. In the coding process, it could have accidently included sound priorities. I should test if this sounds bug can be produced without players and in an area with heavy model meshes/rendering requirements/animations being cast.
    Edited by Minno on November 16, 2017 3:40PM
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • VirtualElizabeth
    VirtualElizabeth
    ✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_CaseyCoffman I experienced this sound issue last night OUTSIDE of Cyrodiil. It was at one of the super busy Dolmens in the Alik'r Desert Zone.

I had no other sound programs running at the time. As I have said in other threads, I have not experienced this issue prior to the CWC update. Thanks!
    @ElizabethInAustin
    NA/PC
    Eleanour Masterham - Breton Templar
    Elise Masterham - Breton Magicka Nightblade
    Elinora Valen - Dunmer MagDK
    Elsa Masterham - Breton Mag Warden
  • kyle.wilson
    kyle.wilson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_CaseyCoffman
    Any updates on the sou nd issue. I hope by now that you have been able to experience this annoying glitch.

Maybe we should start by getting rid of traveling self targeted AOE. That's what caused the cancer meta experienced recently.
  • smorejohn
    smorejohn
    Soul Shriven
    Can we get an update?
  • ZOS_CaseyCoffman
    ZOS_CaseyCoffman
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Folks,

We have a potential fix for this coming out with the incremental build the week after next (11/28).

(Edit - Just found out the date is the 28th not the 27th.)
    Edited by ZOS_JessicaFolsom on November 17, 2017 2:23PM
    Casey Coffman
    Audio / Voiceover Lead Analyst - The Elder Scrolls Online
    Staff Post
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Folks,

We have a potential fix for this coming out with the incremental build the week after next (11/27).
    Sweet!
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Nermy
    Nermy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great news! Thanks ZoS and @ZOS_CaseyCoffman !
    @Nermy
    Ex-Leader of The Wabbajack [EU EP PvP guild - Now stood down from active duty]
    BLOOD FOR THE PACT!!!

Nermden - EP Warden, Nerm-in'a'tor - EP Dragon Knight, N'erm - EP Sorcerer, D'arkness - EP Nightblade, Nermy - EP Templar

“Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.” ― Oscar Wilde

"An Army is a team; lives, sleeps, eats, fights as a team. This individual heroic stuff is a lot of crap." -General George S. Patton
  • RMerlin
    RMerlin
    ✭✭✭✭
    The word "potential" worries me a bit there... :(
  • Agrippa_Invisus
    Agrippa_Invisus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    RMerlin wrote: »

Hey, I'm just happy they're trying at this point.
    Agrippa Invisus / Indominus / Inprimis / Inviolatus
    DragonKnight / Templar / Warden / Sorcerer - Vagabond
    Once a General, now a Citizen
    Former Emperor of Bloodthorn and Vivec
    For Sweetrolls! FOR FIMIAN!
  • Docmandu
    Docmandu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nermy wrote: »
    Great news!

Not the words I would use to describe a 1 month long period with broken sound (and potentially 1.5 months for consoles)

• RMerlin
    RMerlin
    ✭✭✭✭
    RMerlin wrote: »

Hey, I'm just happy they're trying at this point.

I'm grateful that they are actually looking into it, I'll just wait until I can have confirmation that it does fix it before breaking out the champagne, due to ZOS's past track record.
  • Zaldan
    Zaldan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Given their track record I'm wondering what they'll break trying to fix this :(
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.
    Niidro tiid wah fusvok dirkah.

aka.@Cuthceol
  • zyk
    zyk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Docmandu wrote: »
    Nermy wrote: »
    Great news!

Not the words I would use to describe a 1 month long period with broken sound (and potentially 1.5 months for consoles)

No kidding. While I appreciate the efforts of ZOS_CaseyCoffman and other individuals involved, ZOS as a company has handled this very very very very poorly.

"lol they're still here"
  • kyle.wilson
    kyle.wilson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Folks,

We have a potential fix for this coming out with the incremental build the week after next (11/28).

If you have a "potential" fix, maybe it should be pushed 11-21 not 1 full week later.

Then again, if ZOS didn't handle it poorly, it wouldn't be ZOS.

• Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It always happens in cyro but it is not only PvP zone problem. I remember I lost sounds a couple of times during double XP event (The Witches Festival). It was during dolmen xp farming where there was way too many people at one spot all spamming different skills... so the scenario is similar - way too many sources of sound and the game can't handle the sound anymore.
  • maboleth
    maboleth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Folks,

If you have a "potential" fix, maybe it should be pushed 11-21 not 1 full week later.

Then again, if ZOS didn't handle it poorly, it wouldn't be ZOS.

Probably because it's not an easy fix. I remember when we had pink texture problems with early 64bit client. It took several patches to finally sort them all out. Sadly, I think the same will be with the sound, although I'm keeping my - our - fingers crossed.