The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

DPS Que As Tanks

• Megabear
    Megabear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As I've said before, I always vote to kick a fake tank. About 75% of the time the vote will pass. Rest of times I simply leave party even when I could solo the dungeon myself. For example the past week I've either left or kicked fake tanks in normal Fungal, Elden, etc. All easy dungeons that could be done in 10 min or even less. Why? Others here have said why.
    Guide to making $$$ in Tamriel: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/370618/guide-to-making-gold-in-eso/p1?new=1
    Cost analysis for potential ESO players: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/367919/cost-analysis-for-brand-new-potential-pc-eso-players#latest
    Warden Bow Healer/DPS Hybrid Build: http://tamrielfoundry.com/topic/warden-bow-healerdps-hybrid/
    Warden "The Warladin" Healer/Tank Hybrid Build: http://tamrielfoundry.com/topic/warden-the-warladin-healertank-hybrid-build/
    Warden Stamina DPS Build: http://tamrielfoundry.com/topic/warden-dps-build/
    Server - PC/NA
    Vhevet - (S) Night Blade/Female/Orsimer
    Ecaer - (M) Templar/Female/Breton
    Captain Beaster Bunny - (S) Warden/Male/Red Guard
    Ezaera - (M) Sorcerer/Female/Altmer
    Ecaeri - (M) Warden/Female/Argonian
    Dun-and-Dunmer - (M) Dragon Knight/Male/Dunmer
    What Can Go Wong - (S) Night Blade/Male/Bosmer
    Izaer - (M) Templar/Male/Breton
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm running random normal dungeons as a healer right now in order to level. Oh my goodness, what a world of difference a tank with a taunt makes.

When the "tank" doesn't taunt the boss, the boss is back in the hallway whaling on a DPS while the "tank" is dealing with trash mobs instead. Or the boss is all over everyone else but the "tank" - and yes, I'm familiar enough with the mechanics to know when its the boss ignoring a taunt for a mechanic versus there is no taunt. Low DPS (due to low levels) plus a "tank" without a taunt was not good.

That dungeon run was harder than it needed to be. By no means was it quicker or "better". The dungeons I had with actual tanks were much smoother in comparison.
  • Laquey
    Laquey
    ✭✭✭
    Loc2262 wrote: »
    Yeah well most dungeons don't even need a tank so too bad

Most vet dungeons work best with a tank and 3 strong self-healing / self-sustaining DDs. :)

This is false ecomomy really.

For a DD to slot healing skills, survival skills and or health they will sacrifice DPS and will not get anywhere near a pure DD dps build built efficiently, they will also have to spend globals healing themselves which lowers dps output further. With two "pure" DDs and a support heals that can do damage will produce a much better result.

The healer / support can run sets like Spell power cure, Sentinal of Rkgumaz or other sets which increase the output of the pure DPS as well as heal. With passive heals, hots and damage they can also pull 40-50% of a pure DPS build in damage sas well. This also means that you get double horn on a boss and your pure DPS can run their damage ults.

Most efficient groups I've seen in a challenging dungeon that requires a Tank run Tank / 2 Pure DD / Support Heals Damage backup.
  • Mureel
    Mureel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Just last night we had a sorc dps que up as tank to do Vet City of Ash II and he had a ice staff, we all finished it soo damm quick we had to wait for few min until next boss as we were going too quick.

Im happy with that as long as people know what they are doing no problems here

Haha I know the feels! It’s like the bosses are out for their coffee breaks ‘Come ON Earl, it’s your turn! Get off the crapper and into the ring!’ The feels of finish Skoria on first pad are Pure Love!
    Edited by Mureel on October 26, 2017 11:03PM
  • Jusey1
    Jusey1
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just last night we had a sorc dps que up as tank to do Vet City of Ash II and he had a ice staff, we all finished it soo damm quick we had to wait for few min until next boss as we were going too quick.

Ya know, I just created a joke tank with the sole purpose of making him frost-based DPS with the Warden's ultimate. Obviously the frost staff will be his secondary weapon and main source of taunting, while using the Warden frost abilities for tanking reasons and the frost staff abilities for damage output.

Glad to hear that it can be effective.
  • kypranb14_ESO
    kypranb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My suggestion to fix the dungeon queue would be to have prerequisites to queuing as each role, and once queued as that role you cannot switch gear. Multi role queuing should be disallowed entirely to prevent any further abuse.

Some examples could be-

Tank- 20k Physical and Spell Resistance, 30K max health, taunt on at least one bar.

Healer- at least 3 group healing/support abilities slotted between both bars, and at least 25K max magicka. (Granted, a magicka dps could still abuse this, at least they'd have the potential to heal if needed)

DPS- at least 2k Weapon or Spell damage, 25k max magicka or stamina, and at least 2 damage over time abilities. Caltrops, Elemental blockade, etc. Encouraging basic DPS rotations, and therefore eliminating snipe spammers. (Or at least reducing the likelihood of getting one)

*Numbers used in these suggestions are just examples.

Of course, if all else fails.. There IS the kick feature for a reason. I try to be nice and explain what someone is doing wrong if the team runs into trouble because of someone else's misdoings or even because their play style is odd. I love seeing people use weird builds even if they may be frowned upon from the elitist community.

-Kypran
  • gronoxvx
    gronoxvx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RT_Frank wrote: »
    Yeah well some ppl may prefer to have 4 dps and finish quickly, not waste time with two players doing unnecessary things like tanking and healing. idk why it's such a big deal in easy dungeons

Yeah well it's a big deal in harder dungeons. OP is talking about how dps cheat the system is wrong. Sure, if you get an easy dungeon no problem. But if you get like vet CoA2 or any vet dlc you just screwed the group or made their run 10x harder. Therefore, dps should adhere to the system by either being patient or rolling a tank. If you want to finish a dungeon quickly, either form a pre-made group or solo it and don't potentially waste anyone else's time.
    Yeah well some ppl may prefer to have 4 dps and finish quickly, not waste time with two players doing unnecessary things like tanking and healing. idk why it's such a big deal in easy dungeons

Yeah well it's a big deal in harder dungeons. OP is talking about how dps cheat the system is wrong. Sure, if you get an easy dungeon no problem. But if you get like vet CoA2 or any vet dlc you just screwed the group or made their run 10x harder. Therefore, dps should adhere to the system by either being patient or rolling a tank. If you want to finish a dungeon quickly, either form a pre-made group or solo it and don't potentially waste anyone else's time.

100% agree. Considering COA2 was the daily yesterday i had to deal with a tank who was getting one shotted and decided he would try to tank skoria while he was in lava (seriously wtf) and a sorc “healer” who insisted on trying to do hardmode even though the whole team would wipe after the first platform is destroyed.

Worst part is that the other 3 were in a seperate party so trying to boot the tank or healer was impossible (attempted to numerous times but declined each time).

I had to step in and tell them to not use the scroll 4 times and we finally got through it. Probably the most painful dungeon ive ever done. Its so frustrating when people do this on vet dungeons like coa2 and the dlcs.
  • akl77
    akl77
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All I can say is blame it on ZOS, bad and long dps queue, plus no tutorial on what’s tank job and how to tank.
    So noobs and dps have no choices.
    It’s ZOS that’s trolling us.
    Pc na
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Dysprosium wrote: »
    I find it irritating that DPS que as tanks for faster que. If you want the tank que - be a tank then. Yes no doubt there are a goodly number of dungeons easily do-able without a tank. I played another mmo where there was a pop up option to either wait que for tank or que without a tank. At least then people are choosing and not falsely cheating the system by lying about be a tank.

My 2 cents anyway.

I completely understand the sentiment but there is a fatal flaw to your concern. There are some problems I've spoken in my assessment of game systems that results directly in the issue you are concerned about.

1) What reward is there for being a Tank? Being a tank is essentially useless in any content but very niche PvP group roles or Trials. Even most dungeons can be completed as a DPS essentially with the right gear and skill. Most players are aware of this. Most players don't want to play a gimped character who takes 5 times longer to earn experience, gold, etc. The rewards are minimal for tanking.

2) Many groups as well have an expectation that a Tank outputs a high enough level of DPS. Tanks are meant to perform many tasks, while DPS are expected to do one. Some players can manage to balance on this razor's edge well and some do not. Even if a player is skillful at managing this balance there is always the risk that ZoS will upend all the rules and sets that they are built upon, therefore destroying or seriously hamstringing what was formerly a powerful and effective build. I have anecdotal experience of this as well from doing a dungeon the other night on my Argonian Nightblade Tank. This character performed amazingly well two patches ago, less well but functionally last patch, and this time around I was finding I was dying to things that never would have scratched me before. Did I do anything different? Did I become a less proficient player? We are of course expected to adapt, but failure to adapt as a Tank is far more noticeable than if a DPS fails to adapt, and even so the discovery of the flaws still has to be made clear before the Tank knows he needs to do something about it.

3) In a world where low level dungeons really do not require true tanks it breeds overconfidence in more challenging content.

Ultimately the problem stems from the fact that ZoS should really allow players to have more than one build so that specializing as a Tank won't completely undermine gameplay in all other areas. This is a problem in other MMORPG's that I'm very aware of. Some games have handled the issue better than others. If the rewards for being a tank are too low you will not have enough players desiring to play that role. It means less cash, less cp, less experience, slower skill gains, etc. Why should someone be a tank when you get a bunch of petulant childish whiners who can't own up to their own failures all the time? Who wants to take that abuse when the rewards are so terrible?

This is not a problem that non-Tanks have to deal with. A purist tank has to weigh many options. A healer just needs to change his gear. The more the game starts to pigeonhole us the more Tanks will start to feel the pressure and either opt out, or relegate their tank character to specific teaming with friends for Trials (while they earn everything else on another character). This is not a good system. I'm not whining here but I am trying to make it clear to you why you might be queueing with players who aren't real Tanks. There is a final issue at hand here. All of the things that I just said are true and yet players might recognize that if they aren't exactly the best Tank in the world but they are generally proficient, they will queue as a Tank because getting into a dungeon as a DPS was taking them too long. So off they go dropping 'tanky' gear on themselves (or maybe not) and queuing as a tank with the hopes that their team will carry them. I'm not suggesting that is a good behavior at all, but I do want to suggest that there are some things ZoS needs to consider and that it isn't just the players that are the problem.
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    akl77 wrote: »
    All I can say is blame it on ZOS, bad and long dps queue, plus no tutorial on what’s tank job and how to tank.
    So noobs and dps have no choices.
    It’s ZOS that’s trolling us.

Wow this is a fairly concise condensation of what I'm talking about as well.
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
  • Dysprosium
    Dysprosium
    ✭✭✭
    I have found a dungeon run with a proper tank (one that uses their buffs and debuffs), groups things up well and CC's them, along with a great healer using their buffs, debuffs.... makes for an amazingly much faster run than a pile of dps. Why? Those dps can whale on them just focusing on dps and the buffs and debuffs from tank and healer really amplify the dps. Also help to keep up the magicka and stamina on the group so they can spam skills more.

DPS seem to view those 2 roles and a waste but have no idea how much impact these 2 roles are having.

That's why so very few people play those roles- especially tanks- thankless job. No one looks back and the buffs and debuffs and goes wow- you're buffs and debuffs kick a$$!

One poster mentioned going to a 5 party system- I like that idea- 3dps, tank and healer. Raise the stats and damage of all the dungeons to match up.
    Edited by Dysprosium on October 27, 2017 2:18AM
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. The reward for being a tank is a faster queue. If I want to do a random dungeon, or any dungeon, I hop on my tank. I might have to wait for 30 seconds. Oh, and if I don't like the group I'm with, I will queue in 30 seconds, at least once my queue penalty runs out.
    • Another reward for being a tank is that if I can tank the content, I don't have to worry about DPS. I don't have to chase the carrot of the perfect rotation, as long as I do my job as an effective tank.
    • Another reward is the ability to complete content. If the group DPS is low, I can endure. If the heals are bad, I can endure. My role is not as dependent on others to do their job properly - though it certainly helps when the others do.
    • Another reward is getting to control the fight. A good tank controls the fight and how it goes, and so I get to avoid a lot of nasty surprises. All I have to worry about is whether the DPS have a decent amount of DPS and if the healer can heal - and neither one impacts what I'm going to do as the tank. Consider the alternative - that healers have to worry about spamming heals to keep a bad tank alive or DPS have to scramble to compensate for a tank who can't taunt the boss in place or keeps dying. I know that I'm solid, and the other members of the party work around what I do, not the other way around.
    • Another reward is the reward of supporting the group as you complete group content. This is a personal reward, not an in game reward, but nonetheless, I feel rewarded when my tanking helps a group complete the dungeon. There are few things in game that make me feel as satisfied as getting a compliment for being a good tank.

2. Maybe I've run with different groups, but I've never had a group complain about my DPS (about 4-6K on the boss with a MagDK). Now, if I weren't keeping the boss taunted, providing crowd control, debuffing, buffing, or I was dying a lot the group might have reason to complain.

3. I agree here that I wouldn't want to level as a tank, unless I were leveling through the random dungeon finder, now that ZOS has adjusted which dungeons show up at different levels. I was fortunate enough to level my tank in the company of a friend leveling his squishy DPS, so we made a nice pair. For overland content, I definitely switch to a more DPS oriented build, changing around a few skills and not going full tank because that isn't required in overland PVE outside of maybe world bosses.

As for people queuing as tanks when they are generally proficient, look, I've got an off tank. I've got my stam sorc DPS/tank who runs with my friends in a pre-made. She's tanky enough, she's got a taunt, she debuffs and does crowd control, she doesn't die on most dungeons... But I don't queue with her for randoms because she can't meet the basic requirements of a tank (hold boss aggro, use a taunt, and don't die) on ALL the dungeons she could wind up in. She's not tanky enough to not die on harder or DLC normal dungeons, so I don't bring her into random dungeons. Its a matter of being aware of what I can and cannot do as a tank, and a matter of being unwilling to subject groups to me attempting content that I know I can't do as a tank.
  • rustic_potato
    rustic_potato
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have done that many times and will continue to do it. I can solo most of the vet dungeons barring the DLC ones faster than most PUG groups can finish them. Usually I queue with a friend who can also solo them so cant get kicked out.

As long as transmute crystals drop from group finder there is no reason for me to not it.
    I play how I want to.

• dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    1. The reward for being a tank is a faster queue. If I want to do a random dungeon, or any dungeon, I hop on my tank. I might have to wait for 30 seconds. Oh, and if I don't like the group I'm with, I will queue in 30 seconds, at least once my queue penalty runs out.
    • Another reward for being a tank is that if I can tank the content, I don't have to worry about DPS. I don't have to chase the carrot of the perfect rotation, as long as I do my job as an effective tank.
    • Another reward is the ability to complete content. If the group DPS is low, I can endure. If the heals are bad, I can endure. My role is not as dependent on others to do their job properly - though it certainly helps when the others do.
    • Another reward is getting to control the fight. A good tank controls the fight and how it goes, and so I get to avoid a lot of nasty surprises. All I have to worry about is whether the DPS have a decent amount of DPS and if the healer can heal - and neither one impacts what I'm going to do as the tank. Consider the alternative - that healers have to worry about spamming heals to keep a bad tank alive or DPS have to scramble to compensate for a tank who can't taunt the boss in place or keeps dying. I know that I'm solid, and the other members of the party work around what I do, not the other way around.
    • Another reward is the reward of supporting the group as you complete group content. This is a personal reward, not an in game reward, but nonetheless, I feel rewarded when my tanking helps a group complete the dungeon. There are few things in game that make me feel as satisfied as getting a compliment for being a good tank.

2. Maybe I've run with different groups, but I've never had a group complain about my DPS (about 4-6K on the boss with a MagDK). Now, if I weren't keeping the boss taunted, providing crowd control, debuffing, buffing, or I was dying a lot the group might have reason to complain.

3. I agree here that I wouldn't want to level as a tank, unless I were leveling through the random dungeon finder, now that ZOS has adjusted which dungeons show up at different levels. I was fortunate enough to level my tank in the company of a friend leveling his squishy DPS, so we made a nice pair. For overland content, I definitely switch to a more DPS oriented build, changing around a few skills and not going full tank because that isn't required in overland PVE outside of maybe world bosses.

As for people queuing as tanks when they are generally proficient, look, I've got an off tank. I've got my stam sorc DPS/tank who runs with my friends in a pre-made. She's tanky enough, she's got a taunt, she debuffs and does crowd control, she doesn't die on most dungeons... But I don't queue with her for randoms because she can't meet the basic requirements of a tank (hold boss aggro, use a taunt, and don't die) on ALL the dungeons she could wind up in. She's not tanky enough to not die on harder or DLC normal dungeons, so I don't bring her into random dungeons. Its a matter of being aware of what I can and cannot do as a tank, and a matter of being unwilling to subject groups to me attempting content that I know I can't do as a tank.

Your point is well made that the joy of being a tank is that you really control the pace of the fight. You're the Hulk but you need your super pals to jump in. It is also true that it is easier to queue - a statement I made and I suggest that it is fraught with certain pressures that are not good (and I explained why).

I take offense with your suggestion that Tank play is unskilled play. I look at many DPS out there with a certain level of Disdain to be honest. They don't know how to stand outside of a red circle. I'm a tank and I know better. I'm aware of said red circle and what it is doing to me. They don't know how to interrupt often times if their life depended on it (and often does). Why does this happen? Because it is the tank's job to keep as much of the red facing him, and stop as many interrupts as he can, and control the mobs if he can. The suggestion that tank play is 'easy' mode is a bit offensive. It is a different kind of rotation with different kinds of skill. The very notion of rotation seems like a low skill thing to me. I could very easily write up a macro for ideal rotations. One click wonders that could fire death on you. I have no doubt that many players actually do this. Is this skill? Really? I have noticed quite a few very skilled PvPers are actually good Tanks (even when they play DPS). There's a reason for this. So please realize there are other points of view on this 'lack of skill' statement. Tanky play in PvP by the way can be annoying to DPS folks but it doesn't make it low skill. I reject this general sentiment as well. In a proper group setting there's also a place for the Tank in pvp teams to do all the things you suggest in pve: Crowd Control, Debuffing, and also harrying the enemy so that your softer targets have a free moment to attack. Do I think at times the balance for Tanks or DPS have been bad in this game? Absolutely. Do I disagree with elements of their approach on how to do this? Absolutely. The fact remains that the presumption that 'knowing your rotation' makes you a better player is preposterous. Tanking requires balancing your stats and sitting on the bleeding edge of not dying while doing all the things we discussed just as DPS falls on going toward the bleeding edge of damage output.

At any regard I still think my points stand. I'm pointing out pressures, incentives, and punitive measures that result in the issues that the OP described. I don't entirely disagree with him but I certainly felt a devil's advocate is required because there is another side to the story. I also feel that the fault is not entirely on the shoulders of players. ZoS does very little to prepare people for any of the roles in the game. You're going to get New players. How you react to them being new speaks volumes upon yourself as much as upon them. How they respond to you likewise speaks about them. Try to be civil. Try to recognize language differences. Try not to tell people to 'kill themselves' as so many millennials love to say these days.

I'll give you a brief anecdote about how I made one of my best friends in the game. She's a Russian player who was new to PvP but wanted to explore it. She happened to join a pug team I wandered into and our team managed to accomplish a lot on the board. We had a lot of great fights that Saturday and pushed all the way to the scroll at an enemy starting point (I won't name alliances - no need to ruffle those feathers). Being new and excited she grabbed the scroll despite someone else on the team being more prepared for it in every conceivable way (Orc Sorcerer w/ fiords etc). This guy moved like greased lightning. She however didn't get the memo and picked up the scroll. I >knew< she was new. I could tell by the way she ran. I could tell by the way she talked. It turns out it was her first week in the game as I recall and her first day in Cyrodiil. The horrible things people on the team and in zone chat were saying to her were not acceptable. I defended her though and I took the time to explain to her where to go and what we were doing. Would it have been faster to get that scroll home with captain greased lightning? Absolutely. Was it warranted to crap all over a new player bright eyed and in love with the game? No. I get it that the game can be competitive but we should still have good sportsmanship and behave in a civil manner. Part of the reason free speech is under attack of late is the vitriol that people feel that they can get away with in anonymity. At the very least in your personal life you will be shunned and face social consequences for such behavior. In a game those consequences are mitigated. Likewise, I simultaneously feel that people should get a tougher skin. Take the insults on the chin and move on. Just recognize that when you behave like an entitled misanthrope it is bad for the game and ultimately bad for you.

I'll bring this full circle. A team should communicate and try to communicate well. Type if you can. Use voice chat systems if you can. Have fun. Try to adapt and overcome. If you don't like the results of your random team mates start to build a stable list of friends who you know can get the job done. Just realize that you were once new to the game and that the knowledge many of you have today come from years of playing the game. Don't take a dump on new players: HELP THEM OUT. :)

Edit: One added thought. You spoke of knowing your capabilities as a tank. You don't know your capabilities until you're in the dungeon. You don't know those capabilities either when rules systems fundamentally change. That was my point in discussing the changes to Nightblade. My Argonian Nightblade was a beast and now he's not. It is palpable. It is measurable. I won't know what I'm capable of until I test it though and take the time to reassess the build's weaknesses. This is true of other players and I do believe it needs some recognition.
    Edited by dodgehopper_ESO on October 27, 2017 2:59AM
    <And plenty more>
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did not mean to imply that tanking is unskilled. A good tank uses a taunt, holds boss aggro, debuffs the boss, buffs the group, provides crowd control, and doesn't die - and probably manages to do a little DPS on top of all of that while keeping track of boss mechanics, etc. That's not unskilled. It takes quite a bit of skill, but it also doesn't require a perfect rotation like, say, top-tier DPS, which is a level of pressure I'm glad to avoid.

I'm just confident that I can do all of that stuff listed above on my MagDK tank, because I've practiced those dungeons with non-random group of friends and guildies before I walk into that dungeon with a random group. Perhaps its a matter of that feeling easy to me because I've practiced and become efficient at my tanking, in the same way that some DPS laugh off boss mechanics as easy because they've got the DPS to ignore them. Sure, nerfs to my class, skills, or build might change the specifics of what I do. If I ever couldn't tank on my build, I'd have to adjust and overcome.

BTW, have you seen this thread about advice for new tanks? You might have some good thoughts to add if you want to. https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/377221/tanking-university
  • Betsararie
    Betsararie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Blanco wrote: »

qué - pronoun
    1. (interrogative)
    • a. what
    ¿Qué estás haciendo? - What are you doing?

Stop. You're using the wrong term. You're confusing queue with the Spanish word for what.
    Edited by Betsararie on October 27, 2017 3:28AM
  • ForsakenSin
    ForsakenSin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mureel wrote: »

Haha I know the feels! It’s like the bosses are out for their coffee breaks ‘Come ON Earl, it’s your turn! Get off the crapper and into the ring!’ The feels of finish Skoria on first pad are Pure Love!

Bahahahah so true , as we were trying to get plunder from the bosses i was timing it by looking at my food buff ( works great) finished one boss .. got 35min min left on my food we got to the next one .. its was like " hold ...hold...HOLD... looking at my food timer..hold..HOLD!!!! ... 31min.. UNLEASH HELL!! "

hehehe and we managed to kill it on the second pad by using the hard mode i think we could of done it on the first but some of us didn't have ult ready when he died i was like.. umm... we did do it on hard mode..right? lol
    "By many i am seen as hero...as a savior of the Tamriel i will not stop until every Daedra every evil there is in Tamriel is vanquish by my hands..
    However i do this for my own purpose to gain trust of mortals to worship me and to eliminate my competition i will not bend my knee to lead your army to serve you Molag Bal , i will simply just take it from you.."--- Forsaken Sin( Magica Sorc)

Arise From Darkness Forsaken SIn
    "You have been a loyal High Elf Magica Sorc
    Conjure of Darkness, Master of Magic
    Killer of Molag Bal and Savior of Ebonheart Pact
    Until Dark Brotherhood killed you...
    but now..NOW its time to Arise From Darkness once again..."

• Dysprosium
    Dysprosium
    ✭✭✭

qué - pronoun
    1. (interrogative)
    • a. what

Stop. You're using the wrong term. You're confusing queue with the Spanish word for what.

Ok spelling police. Most people do know it's queue but they are taking the shortcut spelling. Just like gf for girlfriend. Most people do realize that is not the actual spelling. Not tossing in a Spanish word in the midst of English words.
  • ForsakenSin
    ForsakenSin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jusey1 wrote: »

Ya know, I just created a joke tank with the sole purpose of making him frost-based DPS with the Warden's ultimate. Obviously the frost staff will be his secondary weapon and main source of taunting, while using the Warden frost abilities for tanking reasons and the frost staff abilities for damage output.

Glad to hear that it can be effective.

OOoooo you know what .. that would be a amazing build ! go for it buddy !!
    "By many i am seen as hero...as a savior of the Tamriel i will not stop until every Daedra every evil there is in Tamriel is vanquish by my hands..
    However i do this for my own purpose to gain trust of mortals to worship me and to eliminate my competition i will not bend my knee to lead your army to serve you Molag Bal , i will simply just take it from you.."--- Forsaken Sin( Magica Sorc)

Arise From Darkness Forsaken SIn
    "You have been a loyal High Elf Magica Sorc
    Conjure of Darkness, Master of Magic
    Killer of Molag Bal and Savior of Ebonheart Pact
    Until Dark Brotherhood killed you...
    but now..NOW its time to Arise From Darkness once again..."

• Betsararie
    Betsararie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dysprosium wrote: »

qué - pronoun
    1. (interrogative)
    • a. what

Ok spelling police. Most people do know it's queue but they are taking the shortcut spelling. Just like gf for girlfriend. Most people do realize that is not the actual spelling. Not tossing in a Spanish word in the midst of English words.

But the point I'm making is that's not the shortcut spelling. There isn't a shortcut spelling.

GF for girlfriend is established and makes sense. With the "que" thing you're literally trying to speak Spanish mid sentence.
  • onemoxygirl
    What is the ideal tank? I'm a bit new to dungeons etc... and I'm not generally a fan of queuing because I have had the worst luck with useless players... sorry to say... So I don't tend to do dungeons because of this... a little lonely and sad on ESO lol.
  • Betsararie
    Betsararie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the ideal tank? I'm a bit new to dungeons etc... and I'm not generally a fan of queuing because I have had the worst luck with useless players... sorry to say... So I don't tend to do dungeons because of this... a little lonely and sad on ESO lol.

You're that new and already calling other players useless? Wow, you must be good! lol

To answer your question, the ideal tank is one who never (ever) dies, holds agro at all the right times, and provides buffs when/if needed.

They're more prevalent than you'd think.
    Edited by Betsararie on October 27, 2017 4:28AM
  • onemoxygirl

You're that new and already calling other players useless? Wow, you must be good! lol

To answer your question, the ideal tank is one who never (ever) dies, holds agro at all the right times, and provides buffs when/if needed.

They're more prevalent then you'd think.

I'm not exactly "new" I have a decent character and when I go into a dungeon I expect to get through it... that's not exactly the highest of expectations.... I'm a little older maybe that's why I expect *** to get done. lol
    I realize the game had a larger learning curve... I was on PS4 for a few years before switching to PC :P
  • Betsararie
    Betsararie
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not exactly "new" I have a decent character and when I go into a dungeon I expect to get through it... that's not exactly the highest of expectations.... I'm a little older maybe that's why I expect *** to get done. lol
    I realize the game had a larger learning curve... I was on PS4 for a few years before switching to PC :P

Nobody expects it to get done more than me.

I'll agree it is sometimes an issue. That is why I'll "vote to kick" lol.
  • onemoxygirl

Nobody expects it to get done more than me.

I'll agree it is sometimes an issue. That is why I'll "vote to kick" lol.

Yeah... I don't think I've done that... I'm sure there are awesome players I just had bad luck with queuing dungeons... you never know who you're gonna get. Also if the players are not about the same levels it's an issue I've noticed... I think the difficulty goes by the highest CP?? I'm not sure 100% but I've defiantly seen issues with different player levels... I wish you could pick or know this before you join the group. See the players' stats before accepting... but I'm sure that would be too discriminatory in this world we live... "rolls eyes* lol
  • Stannum
    Stannum
    ✭✭✭✭
    Megabear wrote: »
    As I've said before, I always vote to kick a fake tank. About 75% of the time the vote will pass. Rest of times I simply leave party even when I could solo the dungeon myself. For example the past week I've either left or kicked fake tanks in normal Fungal, Elden, etc. All easy dungeons that could be done in 10 min or even less. Why? Others here have said why.

Ok how can you define if it's fake tank or not unless boss fights? E.g. I have one char mostly used in PvP but i also use her for tanking pledges even for some vet DLC. She wears medium and bow/destro(frost) and has about 20k HP (in PvE).
  • Stannum
    Stannum
    ✭✭✭✭
    Also if the players are not about the same levels it's an issue I've noticed... I think the difficulty goes by the highest CP?? I'm not sure 100% but I've defiantly seen issues with different player levels... I wish you could pick or know this before you join the group. See the players' stats before accepting... but I'm sure that would be too discriminatory in this world we live... "rolls eyes* lol
    With scaling really the most powerfull chars are CP cap level 48-49 alts with at level gear but not lev 50 CP cap ))).

• Zypheran
    Zypheran
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    DPS using group finder as tanks should be kicked.
    In my view these people are queue jumpers, line cutters etc. For those saying 3 DPS is better, not the point, just excuses to justify your queue jumping. To be honest, i'd prefer a good tank that pulls mobs into a group for the 2 dps.
    If your farming and don't want to have to queue, use zone chat to find a farming group or if you want a fast queue try actually building a real tank or real healer. Another option is to form a 4 man group with your guild mates where you all accept in advance what roles are being used or not.
    Quite frankly this attitude bugs me 'oh the system doesn't apply to me cos... well I don't like it!'
    It's a queue... learn how to deal with social conventions
    All my housing builds are available on YouTube
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCf3oJ_cxuu01HmWZJZ6KK6g?view_as=subscriber
    I am happy to share the EHT save files for most of my builds.
  • kendellking_chaosb14_ESO
    kendellking_chaosb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like how everyone agrees it’s bad for Vet dlc dungeon but if the are doing ransoms or it’s the daily that’s dlc then it’s a problem and that’s often.
    Chaos Shadow-Scale: Shadow Archer
    Chaos Death-Scale: Shadow Knight
    Tanks-With-Sap-Essence: Dark Mage
    Dark Brotherhood Listener: Blade of Argonia
    Chaos Dragon-Scale: Draconic Shield Master
    Chaos Light-Scale: Marsh Paladin
    Chaos Lightning-Scale: Daedric Master
    Hurricane Chaos: Storm Archer
    Bask-In-My-Light: Warrior of The Light
    Forged-In-Dragon-Fire: Pyro Mage
    Guardian of The Hist: Light Mender
    Chaos of Black Marsh: Master of The Burning Sword
    Star of Chaos: Frost Blade Champion
    Chaos-Lightning-Tower: Lightning Shield Master

For the King of Argonia
    May Sithis hold back his Void
  • kendellking_chaosb14_ESO
    kendellking_chaosb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I normally Tank PvE shortest wait I’m a PvPer but helped a friend in White Gold as a DPS and we qued for a tank and the tank was a 200 cp ONE HAND & SHIELD DPS with 18k health I was completely done with fake tanks that day. He’s DPS was really bad no agro and forever Heavy attacking.
    Chaos Shadow-Scale: Shadow Archer
    Chaos Death-Scale: Shadow Knight
    Tanks-With-Sap-Essence: Dark Mage
    Dark Brotherhood Listener: Blade of Argonia
    Chaos Dragon-Scale: Draconic Shield Master
    Chaos Light-Scale: Marsh Paladin
    Chaos Lightning-Scale: Daedric Master
    Hurricane Chaos: Storm Archer
    Bask-In-My-Light: Warrior of The Light
    Forged-In-Dragon-Fire: Pyro Mage
    Guardian of The Hist: Light Mender
    Chaos of Black Marsh: Master of The Burning Sword