The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

DPS Que As Tanks

• Argah
    Argah
    ✭✭✭✭
    Normal dungeons need to get rid of roles, I queue as a DPS because doing the tank thing it’s clear some people think you need a tank and rely on one, I’d rather not risk getting kicked from those idiots and just queue the long way.
  • kojou
    kojou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I assume we are referring to queuing for a random dungeon?

On a Vet dungeon I might boot them. On a normal dungeon I don't care. I just want bodies to distract some of the aggro so I don't have to worry about healing my self. :smile: I would rather have 4 DPS on a random normal so it goes faster.
    Playing since beta...
  • bhagwad
    bhagwad
    ✭✭✭✭
    Argah wrote: »
    Normal dungeons need to get rid of roles, I queue as a DPS because doing the tank thing it’s clear some people think you need a tank and rely on one, I’d rather not risk getting kicked from those idiots and just queue the long way.

In other words, honesty has to be enforced on you.
    Edited by bhagwad on October 26, 2017 1:34PM
  • Argah
    Argah
    ✭✭✭✭
    bhagwad wrote: »

No, the terrible players you come across who “need” a tank for content a level 10 dps would be better suited for forces it upon me.
  • bhagwad
    bhagwad
    ✭✭✭✭

No, the terrible players you come across who “need” a tank for content a level 10 dps would be better suited for forces it upon me.

And simply being "honest" isn't enough of a motivation, I suppose?
  • Nogawd
    Nogawd
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You like to spit-shine that hall monitor badge do you? Geeze man. I hope you are honest about everything in your life with how you stress it in a video game.
  • Argah
    Argah
    ✭✭✭✭

Have a read of my post, nothing but honesty there, needing a tank is stupid for normal content, roles are not needed all they do is make queue times longer for the daily dungeon xp reward.

In vet I agree they are needed more often than not unless playing with friends, normal though at 360cp I could go in and complete most dungeons with the 3 others not even playing.
  • Argah
    Argah
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nogawd wrote: »

You like to spit-shine that hall monitor badge do you? Geeze man. I hope you are honest about everything in your life with how you stress it in a video game.

First I’ve seen that Bhagwan, can guarantee he’s lowlife scum preaching on a forum to make himself feel better about his life, that seems to the way with those types.
  • bhagwad
    bhagwad
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nogawd wrote: »

I definitely don't cheat and lie to other people to obtain a personal benefit.

Now answer the question. Do you think you should be punished for your dishonesty - not just to the players, but to ZOS themselves?
  • pod88kk
    pod88kk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Had a stam nightblade queue as a healer for a random vet, he got angry when we kicked him because he "He had vigor".... For vwgt :/
    Edited by pod88kk on October 26, 2017 2:15PM
  • Jusey1
    Jusey1
    ✭✭✭✭
    I actually have que up once for a tank role as a DPS but it was for Fungal Grotto 1... Ya know, an easy dungeon that can even be solo'd pretty easily. I will never do it with randoms though, that's just not a smart idea.
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, if they want a shorter queue they should queue as a healer, not a tank.
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• Hecker777
    Hecker777
    ✭✭✭
    Alternative opinion, I often queue for randoms on my PvP toon as tank. PvP toons usually can't output the same DPS numbers as a DPS and most dungeons don't really require a dedicated tank. My PvP toon has enough HP, resist, and heals where he can tank almost any dungeon and also contribute 15k dps which makes things go faster for everyone. I don't get mad if DPS queue as tanks but for the love of god please do 4 things
    1. Slot a taunt
    2. Have adequate health
    3. Be able to self heal
    4. Have at least a basic idea how to tank
    No class CC and I don't run a gap closer...so yeah if you streak away from me I'll probably bird spam you WHAT ELSE AM I SUPPOSED TO DO??
    Outrider of Vokundein-Vice PvP Officer- Member of Legend Gaming
    Officer- Eastmarch Trade Company
    Officer- Order of the Bear
    Core- Fear is Failure

DK Tank - Stam Sorc DPS - Stam Warden PvP DPS- Mag DK PvP DPS
    690+ CP PC NA
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rex-Umbra wrote: »
    Tanks have been nerfed every patch last two years. Who the hell wants to tank.

*raises hand*

I do. I love to tank. That's why I main a MagDK tank. Its why I try to improve as a tank and why I post advice for people who actually want to tank.

Its also why I have a Stam Sorc DPS/Tank for when my friends and I want to run a full DPS normal dungeon run. She taunts, she holds the boss still, she does crowd control, and she does DPS. Everyone's happy because in this pre-made group, everyone agreed to run with a DPS/Tank whose basically a DPS with a taunt. I'm happy because a good tank brings order to the chaos and helps the DPS burn down the boss with good positioning, etc.

But I love to tank. So you know what I don't do? I don't queue into random normal dungeons with my Stam Sorc DPS/Tank because she can't actually tank all the dungeons I could get put into as a tank. Some of them, sure, but not all of them.

Why should I make a group suffer through my inability to tank a dungeon? What gives me that right to put my convenience over their expectation that they get a tank who can actually tank?

Nothing. Nothing gives me that right. So, I don't.

Bringing a DPS that can't tank to a tank role in a random group is a choice - a selfish choice that harms your random group members who now have to cover and compensate for your lack of tanking ability. You are not a good DPS. You are a FAILURE as a tank.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    raj72616a wrote: »
    my 17k health is in a safe range with most vet dungeon bosses. i have 100% up time on Major Fracture/Breach, Minor Maim, Major Ward/Resolve, Minor Ward/Resolve, and recast a 8400 damage shield every 8 seconds, self heal 3000 every 1 second. why would i be unable to tank the first mini bosses? in all medium armor i can add 10~15k single target dps in boss fight, so most dungeons can be run smoothly.

caution to fellow "fake tanks" tho: a few bosses in easier dungeons such as WS1 and spindle1 does particularly high burst damage so it's better to switch to heavy armor to get >30k health at the final boss fight.

If you can manage the basic job requirements of a tank: use a taunt, hold boss aggro, and don't die, you are a tank. Not a fake tank. You might not be a good tank depending on how you play, since that requires debuffs, buffs, holding the boss still, and crowd control, but you are at least a tank.

A fake tank is one that can't manage those three things (Use a taunt, hold boss aggro, and don't die) Moreover, this DPS with delusions of granduer knows they can't, has no intention of trying, and thinks their amazing DPS is compensation for the lack of a living tank to keep the boss taunted and aggroed (which obviously allows the other two DPS to do their jobs better).
  • Robby94
    Robby94
    ✭✭✭
    For players who dont like the 4 dd approach, why would you rather spend extra time in the dugeon then necessary? Unless its for story or teaching mechanics. And again you wouldnt be teaching in group finder.
  • Parvati_OAC
    Parvati_OAC
    ✭✭
    Cadbury wrote: »
    What's even worse is when a tank queues as a DPS.

^^ yeah this happened yesterday and it was in the middle of the dungeon so I'm assuming thats why the other tank left. I just let the tank taunting/dps have all the aggro he wanted...
    GT: Crutchboy1
    Xbox One - NA Server

Neia Coralei 50 // Stamina Nightblade
    Parvati Shallowe 50 // Stamina Warden
    Dask'omir 50 // Magica Nightblade
    Stormey 50 // Magica Templar
    Reftlin 50 // Magica Sorcerer
    Jho'zaine 50 // Stamina Templar
    K'iera 50 // Stamina Dragon Knight
    Z'andor // Stamina Sorcerer
    A'rtemsia 50 // Magica Dragon Knight

CP: 750
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Robby94 wrote: »
    For players who dont like the 4 dd approach, why would you rather spend extra time in the dugeon then necessary? Unless its for story or teaching mechanics. And again you wouldnt be teaching in group finder.

Its not that I don't like the 4 DDs approach. Its just that I want to be able to choose to run a dungeon with 4 DDs, rather than have it forced upon me by someone who queued as a tank when that person is just another DPS. As we've been saying, if I wanted to run dungeons with 4 DDs or 3DDs and a healer, I'd have queued for that as a pre-made group where we all agreed to run the dungeon like that.

I have to adjust as a DPS when there is no tank (more self-heals, more aware of my placement, casting ground aoes more often because of boss movement, etc.). If I get to choose to run like that, I'm fine. If I have that forced upon me, I'm going to be crabby about it. I would rather spend a little more time in a dungeon with the tank I requested by queuing in the random group finder, than finish a little faster but with considerably more aggravation because I had to adjust to someone who queued as tank but can't meet the bare minimum of the tank role. One option makes me take a little longer. The other option means I had to deal with a selfish jerk.
  • jssriot
    jssriot
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I have to adjust as a DPS when there is no tank (more self-heals, more aware of my placement, casting ground aoes more often because of boss movement, etc.). If I get to choose to run like that, I'm fine. If I have that forced upon me, I'm going to be crabby about it. I would rather spend a little more time in a dungeon with the tank I requested by queuing in the random group finder, than finish a little faster but with considerably more aggravation because I had to adjust to someone who queued as tank but can't meet the bare minimum of the tank role. One option makes me take a little longer. The other option means I had to deal with a selfish jerk.

Same. My dps is admittedly a glass cannon in pure dps mode and while I can deal with a tankless group, it does require some adjustments on my part and I don't like being forced to do that by someone who wants to trick their way into a pug. If you sign up as a role, you should be able to do that role yourself. It's an obnoxious presumption you make of the other players who queue up ready to do their roles that they should have to adjust their gameplay to compensate for your laziness.

If people are impatient with queuing as a dps, here's a quick fix: play a healer or a tank instead of dps. There are already too many dps in the game so it's not like we need you.
    PC-NA since 2015. Tired and unimpressed.
  • DiePainPain
    DiePainPain
    ✭✭
    No problem with easy vet dungeon but absolute annoying when they try random and ended up BC I or BC II with them, fake tank just can't do it.
  • crobarXIII
    crobarXIII
    ✭✭✭
    Nahtal wrote: »
    Yeah well most dungeons don't even need a tank so too bad

Disagree: do we talk normal or vet? Anyway you need always a Tank in dungeons.

No you don't always need a tank in dungeons. I've had to swap to dps in dungeons like selene's web, dire frost, spinleclutch etc. & carried these pug groups as a dps because the current dps wasn't cutting it . When I queue for daily non-dlc pledges I'm on one of my tanks but some of those dps I see I can't believe, I don't have issues with low cp players, hell I've seen low cp players that know rotations, mechanics & bring the deeps. On the other hand I've also seen max cp dps that just don't know what they are doing, I try to help them on their build or explain mechanics but usually they just don't want to hear it.
    PS4-NA-1000+cp
    Nightblade-Redguard-Stamina Dps : Nightblade-Argonian-Tank : Dragonknight-Imperial-Tank : Dragonknight-Darkelf-Magicka Dps
    Sorcerer-Khajiit-Stamina Dps : Sorcerer-Highelf-Magicka Dps : Templar-Redguard-Stamina Dps : Templar-Highelf-Magicka Dps
    Warden-Imperial-Tank : Warden-Highelf-Magicka Dps
  • Alpheu5
    Alpheu5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Had another incident with a fake tank not too long ago. Queued for vet Wayrest Sewers 2 with 2 friends, one DPS one healer with me as the other DPS, all of us in voice. Waited about 7 minutes since the first random tank we were grouped with disconnected immediately.
    "We got a tank"

"Oh ni- awwww he's CP 118."

"Why is this always happening?"

"As long as he stabs the stuff it's fine for here."

_Lemme put on tank stuff

"He's only got like 19k health. And a Nightblade too."

"Better not be a fake tank."

"He's got a bow."

"Wha- oh for o:) sake."

"Yea."

"What's he got on his back bar? Wait for him to swap to his back bar."

_Healer you're gonna need to keep me alive because I'm tank

"Yea [name] you better keep him alive, man!"

_That's my job

_Oh ok

"This will be interesting."

"Yea let's get this over with."

>2 seconds after starting the fight with the first group of adds

"Did I just see him using dual wield?"

"I think s... yea he's using Flurry."

" o:) nope. Just kick him out of principle."

>Vote initiated

" :D did you just do a vote in the middle of the fight?"

"I pressed the wrong button."

"One of you has to do it. I can't start another vote so fast."

"Ok."

>Vote passed, mobs are dead

_What?

_Wtf?

_I waited 2 hours in queue

_ o:) you
    Edited by Alpheu5 on October 26, 2017 8:55PM
    Dalek-Rok - Argonian Sorcerer || Dalek-Shād - Argonian Nightblade || Dalek-Shul - Argonian Templar || Dalek-Xal - Argonian Dragonknight || Mounts-the-Snout - Argonian Warden || Dalek-Xul - Argonian Necromancer || Two-Spires - Argonian Arcanist || Dalek-Nesh - Argonian Sorcerer || Dalek-Kör - Argonian Dragonknight
    Don't incorporate bugs into your builds, and you won't have [an] issue.
  • Kagetenchu
    Kagetenchu
    ✭✭✭
    No problem with easy vet dungeon but absolute annoying when they try random and ended up BC I or BC II with them, fake tank just can't do it.

What's better is when, as a tank, I have a dps taunting an add that I already chained cc'd and taunted. Had a cp600 dps taunting maw of the infernal away from me during a vBC2 run.
  • Ihatenightblades
    Ihatenightblades
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If its dungeon that doesnt require tank ( About a 1/4 of the non dlc dungeons ) i dont mind I prefer a extra dps for quicker time.

But if we need tank and you cant tank expect the boot or atleast a vote by me
  • Giraffon
    Giraffon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pele wrote: »
    Speaking of an all DPS group, there should be a queue for DPS only groups (4 DPS. No tank. No heals. Pure brute force beauty.).

I think they could do a "quick queue" no role requirements option. You get what you get but at least you aren't queued for 50 minutes.
    Giraffon - Beta Lizard - For the Pact!
  • Colecovision
    Colecovision
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think there should be a real life line for dungeon finder. Mr special dps should be allowed to cut, as long as it's right in front of an mma superstar. Then Mr special dps gets to explain that he gets what he wants, when he wants it because he's the most important person in the world. Then we all get to watch mr special dps get held accountable for being a selfish turd.

• Mureel
    Mureel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Dysprosium wrote: »
    Do you think people are bringing it up for the fun of it? If there were no issues arising from this then people wouldn't be bringing this forward as a problem.

Bring it up when it's a problem. Usually it isn't. If you need both a tank and healer for the Blood Spawn that's a learn to play issue and nothing more

Believe it or not, there ARE still people who are learning to play. These dungeons were originally levelled if you can recall back past your nose.

Slower DPS absolutely needs a tank. We had someone queue as a tank today and I (healer) had to slot taunt and taunt bosses to keep them from running the place.
  • ForsakenSin
    ForsakenSin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just last night we had a sorc dps que up as tank to do Vet City of Ash II and he had a ice staff, we all finished it soo damm quick we had to wait for few min until next boss as we were going too quick.

Im happy with that as long as people know what they are doing no problems here
    "By many i am seen as hero...as a savior of the Tamriel i will not stop until every Daedra every evil there is in Tamriel is vanquish by my hands..
    However i do this for my own purpose to gain trust of mortals to worship me and to eliminate my competition i will not bend my knee to lead your army to serve you Molag Bal , i will simply just take it from you.."--- Forsaken Sin( Magica Sorc)

Arise From Darkness Forsaken SIn
    "You have been a loyal High Elf Magica Sorc
    Conjure of Darkness, Master of Magic
    Killer of Molag Bal and Savior of Ebonheart Pact
    Until Dark Brotherhood killed you...
    but now..NOW its time to Arise From Darkness once again..."

• Karmanorway
    Karmanorway
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shield stacking magsorc ftw!
  • Tan9oSuccka
    Tan9oSuccka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Even on easy vet runs. I like having a tank and healer as intended.

The less time I spend with vigor and dodge rolling the boss swatting at me the better.

On my DPS characters, I wait my turn in queue and go.
    Of course I like steak. I'm a Nord, aren't I?
    -Berj Stoneheart