The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Any decent MAGICKA NB builds around at the moment?

• Tryxus
    Tryxus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would my old Heavy setup of 5x Wyrd Tree backbar, 5x War Maiden front and 2x Skoria still work? Or am I better off going Light?

And if it does, what traits should I go for on weapons?
    Edited by Tryxus on October 20, 2017 3:27PM
    "The Oak's Promise: stand strong, stay true, and shelter all"
    Tryxus of the Undying Song - Warden - PC/EU/DC
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lexxypwns wrote: »
    Trashs1 wrote: »
    trans+wizards+ skoria?? how do u do dmg with 2 defensive sets? @Lexxypwns

Well, at any given time I've got path, cripple, and funnel DoTs ticking and you're getting hit with a light attack every second an an assassin's will every 6 or less seconds. I actually absolutely melt people with the pressure, if all my DoTs tick + light attack + skoria + will that's like 18k+ damage hitting you at once, without an ultimate.

Furthermore, the tankiness means my offensive burst window is always open, I stop being offensive for long enough to refresh my buffs and cast 1 healing ward, but even then you're weaving and proc'ing the bow.

Mageblade has so much pressure and burst when played properly that you don't even need skoria in this setup tbh.

I always laugh at the mageblades stacking all damage because it's really not needed when you're staying aggressive and maintaining your pressure.

I 1vX in this setup EZ and it's got the group support to carry pugs in a BG

It helps if you can find a minimum for offensive stats. Ronaldo once told me for his mag builds a safe metric was 35-37k mag and 2700-3k SD buffed. I can get away with 33k mag but only because I'm a Templar, who arguably don't need the max mag, and I have a single target burst spell with puryfing light/burning light burst.

Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • OdinForge
    OdinForge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    For solo or group pvp as vampire argonian I typically run the following on live, when not experimenting with other things. Among every setup I've experimented with, it's the setup I always revert to when I play my magnb. Really well balanced setup with manageable drawbacks.
    5 julianos (armor+fire staff)
    5 transmutation (jewelry+body+resto staff)
    2 skoria, pirate skeleton, bloodspawn, malubeth, engine guardian depending on situation or preference

5 heavy, 1 light, 1 medium
    7 impen

Tri stat food or witch mother, depending on situation (group, 1v1, 1vX)

Infused back bar with spell damage, sharpened or nirn front bar with double-dot poison or vulnerability poison or healing poison.

For CP focus on
    Reduce cost for dodge and break free.
    At least 10% into magicka regen.
    Heavy attack resource restore.
    Increase magic damage.
    Increase spell pen.
    Increase crit damage and healing.
    Master at arms.
    Some into thaum.
    Reduced damage from damage over time.
    Mighty and elemental defender.
    Crit resistance.
    Reduced damage taken.

This build gives you virtually everything you need as magnb, with very few drawbacks.
    27-30K health depending on alliance war buffs.
    About or over 40K magicka front bar.
    40-50% spell crit on front bar with inner light. Depends on slotted skills.
    4K crit resistance.
    16K+ resistances.
    Strong healing power especially with a vitality pot.
    10K+ spell pen on targets with mark target or elemental drain.
    Strong sustain via heavy armor passives, siphoning strikes or other sources such as argonian passives.
    3K+ spell damage fully buffed.
    15K stamina with tri food.

Some drawbacks include.
    Reflect builds will always be tricky to deal with, especially outnumbered.
    Some really tanky healing builds or pet sorcs may force long fights.
    People running away from you.
    TTK can sometimes be long outside of arrow+soul tether combos.
    Typically not run with an execute.
    mobility can be tricky depending on what skill load-out is used.
    Vampire extra damage, somewhat mitigated by high health and undeath.

Some notable strengths include.
    Exceptionally adaptable to various situations.
    Exceptionally strong in 1v1.
    Exceptionally strong against Xv1 stamnb gankers.
    TTK is very fast with an arrow+soul tether combo.
    Very tanky with very high hots.
    Very high sustain.
    Can be elusive depending on what skills you run, inner light front bar limits skill choice.
    Good utility in group via transmutation, off-healing and strong burst combo, as well as potential elusiveness to escape and rez.

Edited by OdinForge on October 20, 2017 4:04PM
    The Age of Wrobel.
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Minno wrote: »

Well, at any given time I've got path, cripple, and funnel DoTs ticking and you're getting hit with a light attack every second an an assassin's will every 6 or less seconds. I actually absolutely melt people with the pressure, if all my DoTs tick + light attack + skoria + will that's like 18k+ damage hitting you at once, without an ultimate.

Furthermore, the tankiness means my offensive burst window is always open, I stop being offensive for long enough to refresh my buffs and cast 1 healing ward, but even then you're weaving and proc'ing the bow.

Mageblade has so much pressure and burst when played properly that you don't even need skoria in this setup tbh.

I always laugh at the mageblades stacking all damage because it's really not needed when you're staying aggressive and maintaining your pressure.

It helps if you can find a minimum for offensive stats. Ronaldo once told me for his mag builds a safe metric was 35-37k mag and 2700-3k SD buffed. I can get away with 33k mag but only because I'm a Templar, who arguably don't need the max mag, and I have a single target burst spell with puryfing light/burning light burst.

I'm far below both of those numbers in no-CP and barely approaching either of them in CP. You don't need damage on mageblade, the kit is pure aggression, everything heals you and most of it applies DoTs. It's all about knowing your build and how you manage your pressure and burst. With a high uptime on 20k available burst(with my low damage build) between will+soul harvest why would I need to stack more than that? My tooltip on major defile is 42% and my burst will drop 90% of builds into execute. If you're running sturdy over impen my will can damn near 1 shot you if you drop block.

Stacking damage is drastically over-rated on mageblade, the only damage stats I have that are notable are over 60% crit and between 1.88 and 2.03 CHD modifier.

@OdinForge trans/riposte/skoria in light provides more damage and sustain than trans/julianos in heavy with almost as much survivability. Removal of wrath next patch is just going to exacerbate that. I can't imagine running mageblade in heavy next patch.
    Edited by Lexxypwns on October 20, 2017 4:25PM
  • OdinForge
    OdinForge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Lexxypwns incorrect. Trans + wizards makes you tanky, but nowhere near as tanky as layering hots on heavy armor. I've tested virtually every magnb setup in PvP. Maim is also a buff you have access too naturally through your toolkit. The damage is also higher in my setup.

I'm also not entirely convinced the loss of wrath will impact too negatively, the sustain is much better than what you can attain in trans+wizard.
    The Age of Wrobel.
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    OdinForge wrote: »
    @Lexxypwns incorrect. Trans + wizards makes you tanky, but nowhere near as tanky as layering hots on heavy armor. I've tested virtually every magnb setup in PvP. Maim is also a buff you have access too naturally through your toolkit. The damage is also higher in my setup.

I'm also not entirely convinced the loss of wrath will impact too negatively, the sustain is much better than what you can attain in trans+wizard.

The damage isn't comparable, 10% crit + 5885 pen is more than julianos 8% crit which is already only 150 spell damage more than riposte. You'd need to add almost 700 spell damage to justify a damage set in heavy over light riposte from a damage perspective. And you recoup some of the missed health from heavy passives from the line of health in riposte.

I'll agree you can tank better in heavy, but it's relative. 1v1 I never get put on my back foot and 1vX I'm able to tank exceedingly well.

As to sustain, just... no. The light armor sustain passives drastically outweigh the heavy armor ones. There's literally no comparison between the two. I can run tri-stat food and all damage glyphs in light.

The presence of maim in the toolkit exists in 2 form. attached to fear - requires the target to be CCed by fear to apply. This means you cannot have 100% uptime since the maim is shorter than CC immunity and means it's hard to maim a whole group of 5 who hits you since fear CC isn't a "smart" skill and won't automatically targets who aren't CC immune. On shadow image - a single target DoT. Riposte gives huge uptime on maim for all enemies without them needing to be in melee range or even knowing they exist. That sorc that added on to your fight with a crushing weave and proc'ed his frag? It's hitting your build and mine for the same amount but I have more damage and sustain.

Now, in group fights against 10+, heavy for sure. But I really like Wyrd back bar.
    Edited by Lexxypwns on October 20, 2017 4:59PM
  • OdinForge
    OdinForge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

The damage isn't comparable, 10% crit + 5885 pen is more than julianos 8% crit which is already only 150 spell damage more than riposte. You'd need to add almost 700 spell damage to justify a damage set in heavy over light riposte from a damage perspective.

I'll agree you can tank better in heavy, but it's relative. 1v1 I never get put on my back foot and 1vX I'm able to tank exceedingly well.

As to sustain, just... no. The light armor sustain passives drastically outweigh the heavy armor ones. There's literally no comparison between the two. I can run tri-stat food and all damage glyphs in light.

The presence of maim in the toolkit exists in 2 form. attached to fear - requires the target to be CCed by fear to apply. This means you cannot have 100% uptime since the maim is shorter than CC immunity and means it's hard to maim a whole group of 5 who hits you since fear CC isn't a "smart" skill and won't automatically targets who aren't CC immune. On shadow image - a single target DoT. Riposte gives huge uptime on maim for all enemies without them needing to be in melee range or even knowing they exist. That sorc that added on to your fight with a crushing weave and proc'ed his frag? It's hitting your build and mine for the same amount but I have more damage and sustain.

Now, in group fights against 10+, heavy for sure. But I really like Wyrd back bar.

You cannot tank in light armor the same way that you can in heavy even with wizards riposte. In heavy you don't need 100% uptime on maim. You also don't need to spend as much time playing defense and wasting resources in heavy, when you're solo and open world you will be always outnumbered.

You need to consider circumstances. In LA even with wizards you will take too much damage, and that means you have less time to do damage. My swallow soul tooltip hits 10K+ fully buffed, which is more than enough to setup kills.

Taking more damage requires you to expend more resources, and having less health means you are easier to kill. You might have more uptime on maim but in heavy I have far more health, healing and defense.

You're free to run wizards and transmutation if you'd like. But my build is more balanced for every scenario. But when I solo in Cyrodiil I'm getting zerged and that's what I build for.
    The Age of Wrobel.
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

The damage isn't comparable, 10% crit + 5885 pen is more than julianos 8% crit which is already only 150 spell damage more than riposte. You'd need to add almost 700 spell damage to justify a damage set in heavy over light riposte from a damage perspective.

You cannot tank in light armor the same way that you can in heavy even with wizards riposte. In heavy you don't need 100% uptime on maim. You also don't need to spend as much time playing defense and wasting resources in heavy, when you're solo and open world you will be always outnumbered.

You need to consider circumstances. In LA even with wizards you will take too much damage, and that means you have less time to do damage. My swallow soul tooltip hits 10K+ fully buffed, which is more than enough to setup kills.

Taking more damage requires you to expend more resources, and having less health means you are easier to kill. You might have more uptime on maim but in heavy I have far more health, healing and defense.

You're free to run wizards and transmutation if you'd like. But my build is more balanced for every scenario. But when I solo in Cyrodiil I'm getting zerged and that's what I build for.

Except I have no issues with being forced to be overly defensive even in light... You've constructed this strawman to support your stance.
  • OdinForge
    OdinForge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Except I have no issues with being forced to be overly defensive even in light... You've constructed this strawman to support your stance.

Let me get at those console pugs that can't Xv1 a magnb in LA.
    The Age of Wrobel.
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Bro, I played PC for 2 years, there's no difference in the quality of zerlingling pugs or top tier players. If anything my platform is less 1vX friendly than yours since its much more populated and has less long-time players considering the extreme playerbase turnover we get on xbox. But that's a strawman no better than the one you constructed so...

Edit: I promise you I can 1vX better with a superior camera and control system as well as add-ons that give me a cleaner UI while still being able to track buffs easily. As it stands I've got a bar of ~25 effects going on during combat and I've got to be able to pick a merciless counter or leeching timer out of that. Its not even close. And then there's miat's, imagine if I never had to eat an unblocked frag/reach/dizzying again, are you kidding me?
    Edited by Lexxypwns on October 20, 2017 6:22PM
  • OdinForge
    OdinForge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Bro, I played PC for 2 years, there's no difference in the quality of zerlingling pugs or top tier players. If anything my platform is less 1vX friendly than yours since its much more populated and has less long-time players considering the extreme playerbase turnover we get on xbox. But that's a strawman no better than the one you constructed so...

Edit: I promise you I can 1vX better with a superior camera and control system as well as add-ons that give me a cleaner UI while still being able to track buffs easily. As it stands I've got a bar of ~25 effects going on during combat and I've got to be able to pick a merciless counter or leeching timer out of that. Its not even close. And then there's miat's, imagine if I never had to eat an unblocked frag/reach/dizzying again, are you kidding me?

I find it entertaining that you think you could come back to PC and get carried by Miat's add-on to 1vX, that's one of the greatest things I've heard all day.

By your own logic everyone having access to add-ons would make it harder for you to 1vX. Practically every player in pvp is running Miat's add-on, and that definitely doesn't help you by yourself. You're listing these "advantages" as if not everyone also shares them with you on pc, as if somehow you'd get access to all these things but none of your opponents lol.

Wizards + trans is bad but it's okay I'm sure you're a l33t console 1vXer.
    The Age of Wrobel.
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I find it entertaining that you think you could come back to PC and get carried by Miat's add-on to 1vX, that's one of the greatest things I've heard all day.

By your own logic everyone having access to add-ons would make it harder for you to 1vX. Practically every player in pvp is running Miat's add-on, and that definitely doesn't help you by yourself. You're listing these "advantages" as if not everyone also shares them with you on pc, as if somehow you'd get access to all these things but none of your opponents lol.

Tracking buffs, quick camera positioning, and superior performance are thingna that affect high level play not pug level play.

Your miats argument is valid, I'll concede.

I've got more damage, better sustain, and more group support you've got more armor and ~6% more healing. Btw, I assume you're running all damage glyphs, if not then I'll also outheal you.

Now let's look at the difference in armor amounts, you've got about 12% extra mitigation in heavy whereas riposte adds about 8% real mitigation in my build.

So you're valuing 6% more healing and 4% more mitigation over ~9% damage and superior sustain. That's fine, but remember that you also need to give up a bar slot for inner light to get enough damage and you don't have an execute? Lol
    Edited by Lexxypwns on October 20, 2017 7:10PM
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I think I made this distinction before. Vanila HA resists, are similar to using 1pc pirate + LA focus + defending with LA. Even without the 1pc pirate, your low resists means any percentage based mitigation will arguably work more for LA. So for physical resists, its better to get 18-20% ironclad with 10% hardy than it is to try to shore up using only LA focus and monster resists.

What lexy is saying is that, reposte will give that debuff across any enemy that hits you. This makes the set better for fighting out numbered because you will have reduced your enemies dmg stacking. The same argument is for why you add resists, they favor outnumbered fights where those resists will be working passively in your favor for all enemies. With percentage based defenses, you need to have 20% in both thick skin and ironclad and even then your next percentage based boost will be giving your build lower mitigation than the tooltip says. And with hardy/ele defender hitting different types, its arguably better to stack into spell or physical resists which will give mitigation regardless of source (except bleeds, which you need thick skin, reposte, or major/minor protection.)

For for major protection, it might say it gives you a sexy 30%, but after all is said and counted, you'll only get a 12% mitigation. Same goes for wizard reposte, but consider that you are also reducing the dmg incoming which lets you use other sources.

Trans reduces crit heavily. one can stack enough to reduce crit dmg to negate anyone running below 78% crit dmg. For LA builds, you can stack trans without impacting your offense stats; which is what lexy was refering to.

For HA builds, you cannot find the missing crit chance without removing survivability, penetration or sustain. LA can give up regen, run full dmg enchants/mundas, run defense monster with 1 defense set and then pick either sustain or dmg pending their build.
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • lynog85
    lynog85
    ✭✭✭
    Biro123 wrote: »
    lynog85 wrote: »
    5 necro 4 shacklebreaker 2 skoria. Destro resto.

Wouldn't 5 shackle, 4 necro be better this patch?

Yes mate. If you wanna run witch mothers. If not then the other way around
  • OdinForge
    OdinForge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Tracking buffs, quick camera positioning, and superior performance are thingna that affect high level play not pug level play.

I've got more damage, better sustain, and more group support you've got more native resists and ~6% more healing. Btw, I assume you're running all damage glyphs, if not then I'll also outheal you

You're cherry picking, it's more than that actually.

More resistance.
    Rapid mending healing bonus + argonian healing bonus.
    Rapid mending buff to heavy attack* resource sustain.
    Juggernaut boost to max health. My health pool is 10K higher than what is capable with wizard+trans.
    And additional sustain from constitution mostly for off-stat.

You aren't out-healing a setup like mine, I know because I have wizards and trans in my inventory. My sustain is also far greater than yours, I know this again from experience with your build (I've literally run wizards+trans, as well as subbing war maiden in).

I'll also add this. There are many magnb pvp videos out there, almost entirely revolving around group fights or 1v1 duels where the weakness of magnb is easily hidden. But as soon as you start fighting strong meta builds or become outnumbered alone in cyrodiil nothing is better than heavy armor.

If you believe otherwise that's fine, but maybe show us videos of your crazy 1vXs versus many pugs open world, without the help of a group in 5 LA.
    Edited by OdinForge on October 20, 2017 7:28PM
    The Age of Wrobel.
  • OdinForge
    OdinForge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @minno I'm not going to quote your entire message to keep it small.
    For HA builds, you cannot find the missing crit chance without removing survivability, penetration or sustain. LA can give up regen, run full dmg enchants/mundas, run defense monster with 1 defense set and then pick either sustain or dmg pending their build.

Yes as I mentioned in my OP making room for things like inner light heavily reduce available skill slots, which impacts the ability to slot skills designed for being elusive. Consider that magnb actually has a lot of ways to get around this issue though, since they don't need to waste skill slots on things like extra shields. Your spammable acts as a heal, mark applies fracture and reveals a stealthed player. Fear applies maim and a slow to 3 targets (2 next patch).

The Age of Wrobel.
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am actually in the process of leveling a mNB for a build idea I wanted to try in PVP.

5 Shacklebreaker front bar (light armor Body and Destro)
    5 Vampire Cloak back bar (jewelry (spell damage glyphs), 1 body, Restro)
    2 piece scourge harvester/engine guardian/skoria

Essentially, back bar is for buffs and survivability. I wanted a tanky mNB in light armor. and the 8% mitigation and health provided by Vampire Cloak should go a long ways towards that. Plus it provides spell damage.
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @OdinForge yea, its arguably important to know how much the minor maim is but also how many sources the NB has of it.

I think it varies per build; like for bowblades they can use shadow the best. Obviously not wizard, since its mag stats.

melee stamblades, will be using fear the most.

For magblades, I can see both fear or wizard, since you can have the unblocked cc or use fear.

Im exciting for the builds that will come out next patch for you NB's.
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I've got more damage, better sustain, and more group support you've got more native resists and ~6% more healing. Btw, I assume you're running all damage glyphs, if not then I'll also outheal you

You're cherry picking, it's more than that actually.

More resistance.
    Rapid mending healing bonus + argonian healing bonus.
    Rapid mending buff to heavy attack* resource sustain.
    Juggernaut boost to max health. My health pool is 10K higher than what is capable with wizard+trans.
    And additional sustain from constitution mostly for off-stat.

You aren't out-healing a setup like mine, I know because I have wizards and trans in my inventory. My sustain is also far greater than yours, I know this again from experience with your build (I've literally run wizards+trans, as well as subbing war maiden in).

I'll also add this. There are many magnb pvp videos out there, almost entirely revolving around group fights or 1v1 duels where the weakness of magnb is easily hidden. But as soon as you start fighting strong meta builds or become outnumbered alone in cyrodiil nothing is better than heavy armor.

If you believe otherwise that's fine, but maybe show us videos of your crazy 1vXs versus many pugs open world, without the help of a group in 5 LA.

I think it's clear we're both cherry picking arguements here lol.

The fact remains light armor sustain is superior because if you're low on resources and getting heavy pressure(4+ opponents) then you cannot afford to heavy attack regardless of your armor weight. If you're getting meteored but OOM it's block and die because you can't cast healing ward heavy attack and die trying to get magika. You need your sustain to work when you're at your worst

There is a point, I've already conceded, where heavy becomes too strong to give up. If you've got 5 high burst specs on you and can't LoS or kite then you want heavy for sure. But acting like being in light precludes me from popping a resto and tanking X people while I get a kill and reposition is laughable. With the strength of defensive ultimates you simply don't need heavy because you've consistently got a button that prevents you from being killed. Add to that the fact that I'm not ultimate dependent for pug kills and light armor is the clearly superior option for my playstyle.

If you prefer slightly more mitigation and extra health(stacking 36k seems pointless and impossible with your supposed magika pool, but that's 10k more than I run) as well as additional healing then that's fine but with the lack of non-ultimate burst and no execute major defile will keep your build in a non-threatening position. You get defiled and hit with burst, have to pop resto, can't ever combo tether+will.

Again, we can cherry pick all the arguments you want but I think it comes down to playstyle differences. I'm on my resto bar constantly because I keep cripple back there so for me dropping a healing ward as part of my "rotation"(for lack of a better word) isn't a big deal. I'm sure I have to cast more healing wards than you, but mine get a huge fat chunk of mitigation from riposte that balances out them being smaller because of the health pool difference
    Edited by Lexxypwns on October 20, 2017 7:57PM
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both HA and LA kick my face in
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • kaithuzar
    kaithuzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Using heavy was worth it this patch & the last couple of patches (maybe 5 or so?)
    However, I'm not sure if it will still be worth it next patch.
    Also they are reducing fear to 2 targets.
    IF you can create a scenario where it's one on one, while 1vX'ing due to line of site, or proper CC (which will be harder to pull off nerfing fear & changing agony); then you can win with low damage.
    The problem with low damage is a long time to kill duration. Sure if you are doing a full pve dps rotation on some scrub while the other 1-4 guys are CC'd then you're fine.
    But the minute you need to go defense you're going to run out of resources & health before they do. Typically that's why most magblades run cloak & shades; for those "it's too hot, get me out" situations.
    Even though cloak & shades are our skills, and I am all for using them, I think learning to play without can teach you a few things.

I think ultimately it's about the balance of the build. There should be some offense & some defense. For me, wizards riposte back bar, defending resto, blessing of restoration, 1 pirate, 1 chudan, is more than enough defense & burst healing; I still run healing ward for those yikes moments.
    Since I use destro, crushing shock & sap I run scathing as I crit quite often & fully buffed will have over 3k spell damage.
    Sure base damage is low, but it doesn't matter to me.
    Witch mothers brew & a reduce cost enchant on jewelry, appropriate cp distribution, high elf, & vampire all help me to sustain. Although, if I wasn't running scathing I would probably use duel wield or 2h with war maiden.
    Edited by kaithuzar on October 20, 2017 11:42PM
    Member of:
    Fantasia - osh kosh b-josh
    Just Chill - Crown's house
    GoldCloaks - Durruthy test server penga
    Small Meme Guild - Mano's house

Former member of:
    Legend - Siffer fan boy club
    TKO (tamriel knight's order) - free bks
    Deviance - Leonard's senche tiger
    Purple - hamNchz is my hero
    Eight Divines - myrlifax stop playing final fantasy
    WKB (we kill bosses) - turd where you go?
    Arcance Council - Klytz Kommander
    World Boss - Mike & Chewy gone EP
    M12 (majestic twelve) - cult of the loli zerg
  • Maulkin
    Maulkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I still don't understand why people even contemplate backbarring wiz riposte on NB. I can understand most other classes on magicka builds doing it, even DKs if they play solo and want to drop Choking Talons, but not NB. Shadow Image and Mass Hysteria, two pretty must have skills IMO are offering very high up-time on Minor Maim.

Anyhow... Shacklebreaker, Lich (backbar), Domihaus, vMA firestaff is what I'm rocking. Shackle can be light or heavy depending on your playstyle and skill load out, works well both ways. Personally prefer all light except chest which is heavy for a 6-1 set up, just make you're rocking at least 6 impen. Tweak your jewel enchants to find the balance between dmg and sustain. For me it's 2xDmg, 1xRegen.

Unsure about next patch, might frontbar vDSA firestaff as I do like Destructive Reach on the front bar for BGs. On PTS it looks good. Nice damage, cheap, decent DoT to stack with Cripple, long range CC and gives you Ancient Knowledge passive on front bar.
    EU | PC | AD
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    kaithuzar wrote: »
    Using heavy was worth it this patch & the last couple of patches (maybe 5 or so?)
    However, I'm not sure if it will still be worth it next patch.
    Also they are reducing fear to 2 targets.
    IF you can create a scenario where it's one on one, while 1vX'ing due to line of site, or proper CC (which will be harder to pull off nerfing fear & changing agony); then you can win with low damage.
    The problem with low damage is a long time to kill duration. Sure if you are doing a full pve dps rotation on some scrub while the other 1-4 guys are CC'd then you're fine.
    But the minute you need to go defense you're going to run out of resources & health before they do. Typically that's why most magblades run cloak & shades; for those "it's too hot, get me out" situations.
    Even though cloak & shades are our skills, and I am all for using them, I think learning to play without can teach you a few things.

I think ultimately it's about the balance of the build. There should be some offense & some defense. For me, wizards riposte back bar, defending resto, blessing of restoration, 1 pirate, 1 chudan, is more than enough defense & burst healing; I still run healing ward for those yikes moments.
    Since I use destro, crushing shock & sap I run scathing as I crit quite often & fully buffed will have over 3k spell damage.
    Sure base damage is low, but it doesn't matter to me.
    Witch mothers brew & a reduce cost enchant on jewelry, appropriate cp distribution, high elf, & vampire all help me to sustain. Although, if I wasn't running scathing I would probably use duel wield or 2h with war maiden.

Low damage is subjective, most pvp builds can't put out constant pressure like a mageblade. It's not like trans/riposte is 2800 spell damage fully buffed or something
  • Stoopid_Nwah
    Stoopid_Nwah
    ✭✭✭✭
    I see a million magnbs in pvp that rely so heavily on shields that they end up getting stuck in a defensive cycle of spamming shields just to postpone their death a bit longer; I much prefer relying on hots. As magnb we have amazing hots, use them, love them.

As for what I personally like running: inferno/resto with either warmaidens or overwhelming front bar and trans or wizards backbar. Skoria is great but I use 1 domihaus 1 chudan so I can get my resistances and stam pool a bit higher. Bloodspawn is also a solid choice.

It's scary to get used to at first in pvp running without dampen/harness if you've previously used it, but with refreshing path, funnel, degeneration, and siphoning attacks all healing you, you'll find your survivability is a lot higher in 1vx situations, and you can stay on the offensive where magnbs excel and belong.
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I see a million magnbs in pvp that rely so heavily on shields that they end up getting stuck in a defensive cycle of spamming shields just to postpone their death a bit longer; I much prefer relying on hots. As magnb we have amazing hots, use them, love them.

As for what I personally like running: inferno/resto with either warmaidens or overwhelming front bar and trans or wizards backbar. Skoria is great but I use 1 domihaus 1 chudan so I can get my resistances and stam pool a bit higher. Bloodspawn is also a solid choice.

It's scary to get used to at first in pvp running without dampen/harness if you've previously used it, but with refreshing path, funnel, degeneration, and siphoning attacks all healing you, you'll find your survivability is a lot higher in 1vx situations, and you can stay on the offensive where magnbs excel and belong.

Might I recommend running a tri-glyph or a few and adding bloodspawn in place of 1 chudan 1 domi, the stam regen + tri-glyphs will do the same as the 1 domi for stam sustain and you end up with the very desirable BS proc, putting you at ~28k resists in light
  • Calboy
    Calboy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Spinners/ Transmutation/ Bloodspawn, Skoria, Kena for me depending on my mood.

Also run with a frost staff because getting spinners inferno in a good trait is hard but the extra defence is also very nice on a magblade.

Sometimes I also run Rattlecage/ Spinners/ 1pc if I just can't be stuffed with potions (seriously if i chug them I die 10 seconds later and when I don't chug them I end up going man why didn't I use a potion). This setup is just so nice and simple to use without thinking about major sorcery but transmutation is an absolute BEAST, just don't get caught with it not procced.
    Edited by Calboy on October 21, 2017 7:36AM
  • Trashs1
    Trashs1
    ✭✭✭
    Calboy wrote: »
    Spinners/ Transmutation/ Bloodspawn, Skoria, Kena for me depending on my mood.

Also run with a frost staff because getting spinners inferno in a good trait is hard but the extra defence is also very nice on a magblade.

Sometimes I also run Rattlecage/ Spinners/ 1pc if I just can't be stuffed with potions (seriously if i chug them I die 10 seconds later and when I don't chug them I end up going man why didn't I use a potion). This setup is just so nice and simple to use without thinking about major sorcery but transmutation is an absolute BEAST, just don't get caught with it not procced.

spinners and frost staff

sorry but this is just horrible. you miss out the single target dmg of flame staff and get a 5pc witch is verry situational. thats all for beeing able to block with your mana?

better get u a proper julianos set by faaaar
    Edited by Trashs1 on October 23, 2017 9:36AM
    Dolche des Königs (DDK); EuPC, DC, Sotha Sil,
  • Ecfigies
    Ecfigies
    ✭✭✭
    I've been running several setup's, each one provides beneficts from each situations. There's some setup's that are quite popular which i'll add here. All theses build do not belongs to me.
    • 5p Shacklebreaker.
    • 3p Willpower.
    • 1 Fire Staff.
    • 1 Resto Staff.
    • 1p Domihaus/Skoria.
    • 1p Infernal Guardian/Skoria.
    - http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildData?id=30496
    • 5p Spinner or Innate Axiom.
    • 5p Lich.
    • 1p Domihaus/Skoria
    -http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildData?id=28643
    • 5p Torug's Pact
    • 5p Lich.
    • 1p Domihaus/Skoria.
    -http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildData?id=30498
    • 5p Necropotence.
    • 3p Willpower.
    • 1 Fire Staff.
    • 1 Resto Staff.
    • 1p Domihaus/Skoria.
    -http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildData?id=30538
    • 5p Wizard's Riposte.
    • 5p Transmutation.
    • 1p Domihaus/Skoria.
    -http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildData?id=30662

Just a notice, that if you're using Skoria, that requires a DoT.

There's a lot more options, mNB it's my main and i'm quite new at this game, but i'm learning and any tips it's very welcome. Some people has done already a lot of research and need to be checked:

KenaPKK: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyrk3G1A0DiFCEgs91vIHwQ
    Blob: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGJvaoO5wBjgoWppJAdqrwQ

Edited by Ecfigies on October 24, 2017 10:18PM
  • TheMystid
    TheMystid
    ✭✭✭

I'm far below both of those numbers in no-CP and barely approaching either of them in CP. You don't need damage on mageblade, the kit is pure aggression, everything heals you and most of it applies DoTs. It's all about knowing your build and how you manage your pressure and burst. With a high uptime on 20k available burst(with my low damage build) between will+soul harvest why would I need to stack more than that? My tooltip on major defile is 42% and my burst will drop 90% of builds into execute. If you're running sturdy over impen my will can damn near 1 shot you if you drop block.

Stacking damage is drastically over-rated on mageblade, the only damage stats I have that are notable are over 60% crit and between 1.88 and 2.03 CHD modifier.

@OdinForge trans/riposte/skoria in light provides more damage and sustain than trans/julianos in heavy with almost as much survivability. Removal of wrath next patch is just going to exacerbate that. I can't imagine running mageblade in heavy next patch.

.. Soul Harvest or Incap for Major Defile, if I may ask? :/

Lately i'm running Lich/torugs + undaunted. Lich front bar destro with weapon damage and Torug back bar resto infused (many enchants are good here). I've noticed that if you LA destro staff and weapon swap before the attack lands you gain the benefits from Torug aswell (588 SD instead of 348)... I am using Heavy Armor, but after reading you I'm thinking to give LA a try.. :)
    Edited by TheMystid on October 25, 2017 5:17PM
    PC EU

Nostalgic StamDk
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    TheMystid wrote: »

.. Soul Harvest or Incap for Major Defile, if I may ask? :/

Depends. Incap is superior in noCP but doesn't give you free ulti gen on kills which I really enjoy.

Disease glyph as well although I also like nirn staff with poison
    Edited by Lexxypwns on October 25, 2017 5:07PM