The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Any decent MAGICKA NB builds around at the moment?

• Koolio
    Koolio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Dreth wrote: »
    TQ9ih3s.jpg

e1BadR0.jpg

This is my War Maiden + Lich + Troll King with all SD glyphs. I took the screen on the backbar so my crit is really 47%.

So here is what I am working with. My swallow soul was actually fairly high this fight and its still mid 2000's. But look at that Assassins Will....3k?? I fought a BG where some guy is hitting me with jabs for 4k...

Datthaw wrote: »
    Baranthus wrote: »
    kaithuzar wrote: »
    The duration of "how long the assassins will proc is up/available for" always seems way too low. Meaning 1 or two bar swaps & you can no longer use the proc.
    Good luck with needing 5 light attacks to proc & needing your enemy to not have CC immunity due to pot & having ult or something ready to combo once it's proc'd!
    Occasionally I've even had it proc but not seen the animation fire. So if I'm not looking at combat metrics or talking to the enemy, I don't even know if it worked or glitches out.

I don't have any problem with the proc due to the addon, however I have to agree that it's really tedious class to play. Magblade is not an easy class to play effectively because everything you do has to revolve around 5 light attacks and a bow proc. Im not saying we don't have burst, I hit pretty hard when I line up and incap with a bow and skoria proc. But its very tedious to actually achieve this combo in a real fight, everything seems easy on a test dummy It's not like warden where you hit with bugs and crit rush to a dawn breaker and they dead or under 25% hp.

I don't agree at all with people that say it's some overpowered 1v1 masterclass. If it was then all these guys you see dueling wouldn't be on wardens, sorcs and stamblades.

Ummm, not all magblades rely on that skill. i do just fine and I don't use it (I actually hate it lol)

Please link some build that doesn't use bow as pressure or execute. I have tried to run not using that skill but my damage output seemed terrible. Spamming funnel health and keeping dots up seemed like it just tickled players. (I'm destro/resto btw not sure if dw builds don't really use it)

Ok I sure will

Grimlok_S wrote: »
    I want to build a mnb like a bruiser. Am I out of my mind?

Thinking between heavy or light shackle with maiden. Sword and board with resto back or dual weild with resto back?

Any success stories?

Yes I had lots of success
  • BaByDontHurtMe
    BaByDontHurtMe
    ✭✭✭
    I have been playing with ice staff on various sets, war maiden, shackle, bahrah’s etc... and it is beyond fun and trollie with all these ball groups.

Run whatever setup you want but that instant root and wall of ice is so dirty, I still have cripple in the back for yet another root and dots for skoria. I know fire staff and lightning staff have their place for more DPS but the control of 1vXing with all three enemies rooted and then snared with no Stam gives you that Grinch who stole Christmas smile.
  • Datthaw
    Datthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Koolio wrote: »
    TQ9ih3s.jpg

e1BadR0.jpg

This is my War Maiden + Lich + Troll King with all SD glyphs. I took the screen on the backbar so my crit is really 47%.

So here is what I am working with. My swallow soul was actually fairly high this fight and its still mid 2000's. But look at that Assassins Will....3k?? I fought a BG where some guy is hitting me with jabs for 4k...

The duration of "how long the assassins will proc is up/available for" always seems way too low. Meaning 1 or two bar swaps & you can no longer use the proc.
    Good luck with needing 5 light attacks to proc & needing your enemy to not have CC immunity due to pot & having ult or something ready to combo once it's proc'd!
    Occasionally I've even had it proc but not seen the animation fire. So if I'm not looking at combat metrics or talking to the enemy, I don't even know if it worked or glitches out.

I don't have any problem with the proc due to the addon, however I have to agree that it's really tedious class to play. Magblade is not an easy class to play effectively because everything you do has to revolve around 5 light attacks and a bow proc. Im not saying we don't have burst, I hit pretty hard when I line up and incap with a bow and skoria proc. But its very tedious to actually achieve this combo in a real fight, everything seems easy on a test dummy It's not like warden where you hit with bugs and crit rush to a dawn breaker and they dead or under 25% hp.

I don't agree at all with people that say it's some overpowered 1v1 masterclass. If it was then all these guys you see dueling wouldn't be on wardens, sorcs and stamblades.

Ummm, not all magblades rely on that skill. i do just fine and I don't use it (I actually hate it lol)

Please link some build that doesn't use bow as pressure or execute. I have tried to run not using that skill but my damage output seemed terrible. Spamming funnel health and keeping dots up seemed like it just tickled players. (I'm destro/resto btw not sure if dw builds don't really use it)

Ok I sure will

I mean you could have just posted a build, makes me feel you're looking far and wide for one that doesn't use bow.

Edited by Datthaw on November 16, 2017 11:57AM
  • Dreth
    Dreth
    ✭✭✭
    TQ9ih3s.jpg

e1BadR0.jpg

Ok I sure will

I mean you could have just posted a build, makes me feel you're looking far and wide for one that doesn't use bow.

Still waiting on this build...

Fought a sorc last night and I was bursted down within seconds all while trying to fight through his massive shields. I've resorted to shield stacking myself as it seems the only way to survive the burst some of these classes are able to put out in the first few seconds of the fight rather than have to wait 6 seconds and then my bow get dodged and get snared not being able to close the gap for my ulti.

Not surprisingly I do much better on my melee magblade that doesnt solely rely on bow for damage.
  • Bam_Bam
    Bam_Bam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TQ9ih3s.jpg

e1BadR0.jpg

Ok I sure will

Fought a sorc last night and I was bursted down within seconds all while trying to fight through his massive shields. I've resorted to shield stacking myself as it seems the only way to survive the burst some of these classes are able to put out in the first few seconds of the fight rather than have to wait 6 seconds and then my bow get dodged and get snared not being able to close the gap for my ulti.

Not surprisingly I do much better on my melee magblade that doesnt solely rely on bow for damage.

Can see sorcs getting a big nerf eventually - probably sooner than later. shame really as I'd much prefer to see other classes buffed

Joined January 2014
    PC EU - PvE & BGs & PvP (Vivec)
    Grand Master Crafter

#DiscordHypeSquad

Stream
    Lims Kragm'a
    Bam Bam Bara
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    TQ9ih3s.jpg

e1BadR0.jpg

Ok I sure will

Can see sorcs getting a big nerf eventually - probably sooner than later. shame really as I'd much prefer to see other classes buffed

lol, sorc isn't OP man
  • Dreth
    Dreth
    ✭✭✭
    Lexxypwns wrote: »
    TQ9ih3s.jpg

e1BadR0.jpg

Ok I sure will

lol, sorc isn't OP man

Someone with that much ranged burst against someone with so little burst heal....

I avoid them like the plague.
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    TQ9ih3s.jpg

e1BadR0.jpg

Ok I sure will

lol, sorc isn't OP man

Someone with that much ranged burst against someone with so little burst heal....

Their burst is on a restrictive timer, as a mageblade you’ll have healed up significantly by the time they can burst again. This means they should have to let their shields drop to kill you. If shields drop you can delete them quickly and easily.
  • Datthaw
    Datthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Hell I'll take a fight with a sorc any day over a magdk. They always leave me stam drained then whip my poor little magblades ass to the dirt
    Edited by Datthaw on December 5, 2017 5:15PM
  • Dreth
    Dreth
    ✭✭✭
    TQ9ih3s.jpg

e1BadR0.jpg

Ok I sure will

lol, sorc isn't OP man

Their burst is on a restrictive timer, as a mageblade you’ll have healed up significantly by the time they can burst again. This means they should have to let their shields drop to kill you. If shields drop you can delete them quickly and easily.

You are right about that. When their shield drops they go down like a prom date but burst mitigation is the biggest challenge I face as a LA magblade. I know you are a big fan of defensive sets but I have never found my damage to be adequate without at least one set for damage. On a melee enemy I can normally cripple or flame reach my way out of a bad situation but sorc just seem to have the upper have when that kind of burst is right at their finger tips where as mine takes so much prep work. People say melee magblade is dead but at so many of magblade skills are close range that I feel like everyone building around bow proc are missing a huge amount of utility the class has to offer. I guess it's my mistake for trying to conform to the meta and should just play what works for me.
  • Metemsycosis
    Metemsycosis
    ✭✭✭✭
    Burst mitigation.
    If you don't like defensive sets (transmutation is awesome for this) choose high max Magicka sets, like necropotence, spinners, shadow dancer, etc. That way you still have high shields to cut off crit damage. So shields, fear, elusive mist (double take and mirage are also good), remember to block against ultis like Dawn breaker and leap. Some Dodge rolls will be necessary.

For bgs and this patch I kept Amber/ trans/ skoria but added some infused, switched to the mage mundus (thx blobs) and now use jewels of misrule for a very great set of defenses. If I die cc'd it's bc I was too slow to react rather than bc I was out of stamina. This setup has proven quite dangerous for me and now it feels balanced against all classes. Even magdks. Btw I'm not a melee mageblade and I don't rely on assassin's will either. It's great though if you haven't played with that skill do so. Just great fun.

Dw: refreshing path (procs both skoria and transmutation, earns points all day), cloak, funnel health, fear, impale/merciless resolve, soul assault
    Resto: degeneration, cripple, mist, ward, annulment, meteor/tether
    Terethea Magdalena, Breton Nightblade
    A Dark-Adapted Eye, Imperial Necromancer

sanguinare vampiris

https://m.twitch.tv/amcrenshaw/profile
  • Bam_Bam
    Bam_Bam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a melee magblade, I'm having tons of fun running shacklebreaker with just about anything else. Current favourite is Mothers sorrow. :)
    Joined January 2014
    PC EU - PvE & BGs & PvP (Vivec)
    Grand Master Crafter

#DiscordHypeSquad

Stream
    Lims Kragm'a
    Bam Bam Bara
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    TQ9ih3s.jpg

e1BadR0.jpg

Ok I sure will

lol, sorc isn't OP man

You are right about that. When their shield drops they go down like a prom date but burst mitigation is the biggest challenge I face as a LA magblade. I know you are a big fan of defensive sets but I have never found my damage to be adequate without at least one set for damage. On a melee enemy I can normally cripple or flame reach my way out of a bad situation but sorc just seem to have the upper have when that kind of burst is right at their finger tips where as mine takes so much prep work. People say melee magblade is dead but at so many of magblade skills are close range that I feel like everyone building around bow proc are missing a huge amount of utility the class has to offer. I guess it's my mistake for trying to conform to the meta and should just play what works for me.

My advice is to block(or cloak) frag(and reach too if it’s coming during a combo). If you outplay him by using tap-blocks on his big hitters you’ll have a great chance to win. In 1vX situations use LoS combined with tap blocks to force him to over-extend or kill easier targets first.

It’s tricky to beat a mag sorc running glass, but do-able. If I die to a mag sorc on mageblade I usually consider myself to have been outplayed.

Blocking is still the single greatest increase to mitigation available. You don’t want to hold block but rather tap block just as you’re being hit with these big damage abilities/CCs.
    Edited by Lexxypwns on December 5, 2017 10:30PM
  • Kode
    Kode
    ✭✭✭

Hell I'll take a fight with a sorc any day over a magdk. They always leave me stam drained then whip my poor little magblades ass to the dirt

Right. They can be a hell of a tough fight, especially if you are a vampire.

I wouldn't say sorcs are OP... they are in a good place.

Kode Darkstar, Aldmeri Dominion
  • Dreth
    Dreth
    ✭✭✭
    TQ9ih3s.jpg

e1BadR0.jpg

Ok I sure will

lol, sorc isn't OP man

My advice is to block(or cloak) frag(and reach too if it’s coming during a combo). If you outplay him by using tap-blocks on his big hitters you’ll have a great chance to win. In 1vX situations use LoS combined with tap blocks to force him to over-extend or kill easier targets first.

It’s tricky to beat a mag sorc running glass, but do-able. If I die to a mag sorc on mageblade I usually consider myself to have been outplayed.

Blocking is still the single greatest increase to mitigation available. You don’t want to hold block but rather tap block just as you’re being hit with these big damage abilities/CCs.

I'm sure that was the case this time. I was running into what I thought was an empty keep and this guy came around the corner at back flag and just laid me out in a few seconds. Sort of a "what the hell just hit me" moment. Not suggesting sorcs are OP, and going back I should have been more prepared, but there is no way I could have put together that type of combo on my magblade and I guess I'm just wishing we had that kind of burst bc PvP seems these days like burst is king.
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    TQ9ih3s.jpg

e1BadR0.jpg

Ok I sure will

lol, sorc isn't OP man

I'm sure that was the case this time. I was running into what I thought was an empty keep and this guy came around the corner at back flag and just laid me out in a few seconds. Sort of a "what the hell just hit me" moment. Not suggesting sorcs are OP, and going back I should have been more prepared, but there is no way I could have put together that type of combo on my magblade and I guess I'm just wishing we had that kind of burst bc PvP seems these days like burst is king.

Assassins will+ultimate is some of the deadliest burst in the game, you just have to work harder for it. Meteor-Will(empowered by meteor)-fear is a guaranteed kill against most average players
  • kaithuzar
    kaithuzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still feel like mag dk is our direct counter.
    I found I was using tri-pots way more than detect pots & was missing out on major sorcery big time.
    Removing double take off my back bar, moving assassins will to that slot & putting sap on my front bar again remedied the situation somewhat by allowing me to keep around 3k spell damage on scathing proc.

I'm really back and forth about how much recovery I need.
    I've got 1 reduce cost enchant & 2 recovery enchants on jewelry but I wonder if I can still sustain with swapping 1 of those out?

it feels like the set up is needed for long fights since I'm using crushing shock but maybe the fights wouldn't be so long if I had more damage?

The magic DK I was fighting & lost to only had 1100 recovery when I have 2200.

With 28-29k phys & spell resist, wizards riposte, blessing of restoration as a burst heal, healing ward as a shield, and even lights champion as a restoration ultimate, I felt as though his attacks were hitting Way harder than they should have .
    Member of:
    Fantasia - osh kosh b-josh
    Just Chill - Crown's house
    GoldCloaks - Durruthy test server penga
    Small Meme Guild - Mano's house

Former member of:
    Legend - Siffer fan boy club
    TKO (tamriel knight's order) - free bks
    Deviance - Leonard's senche tiger
    Purple - hamNchz is my hero
    Eight Divines - myrlifax stop playing final fantasy
    WKB (we kill bosses) - turd where you go?
    Arcance Council - Klytz Kommander
    World Boss - Mike & Chewy gone EP
    M12 (majestic twelve) - cult of the loli zerg
  • Kode
    Kode
    ✭✭✭
    I still feel like mag dk is our direct counter.
    I found I was using tri-pots way more than detect pots & was missing out on major sorcery big time.
    Removing double take off my back bar, moving assassins will to that slot & putting sap on my front bar again remedied the situation somewhat by allowing me to keep around 3k spell damage on scathing proc.

I'm really back and forth about how much recovery I need.
    I've got 1 reduce cost enchant & 2 recovery enchants on jewelry but I wonder if I can still sustain with swapping 1 of those out?

it feels like the set up is needed for long fights since I'm using crushing shock but maybe the fights wouldn't be so long if I had more damage?

The magic DK I was fighting & lost to only had 1100 recovery when I have 2200.

With 28-29k phys & spell resist, wizards riposte, blessing of restoration as a burst heal, healing ward as a shield, and even lights champion as a restoration ultimate, I felt as though his attacks were hitting Way harder than they should have .
    I'll go out on a limb by saying this, but if you don't have enough offense you aren't going to pressure your opponent and will end up going on the defensive. For most Nightblades, playing on the defensive will get you killed faster because your defense is inherently weaker than your offense, and some of your defense is built into your offense anyway.
    Honestly, Nightblade is the worst class to PvP with(not gank, anyone can do that) until you are experienced. I don't know your experience level... just putting it out there.

edited out a typo

Edited by Kode on December 9, 2017 3:24AM
  • Kode
    Kode
    ✭✭✭

It seems strange to stand at range and shoot it out with a sorc. You are playing to a sorcs strengths. Evade, control the pace and the position, set yourself up while he tries to lock on and burst him, preferably when you have an advantage.

You aren't giving up your attack to go defensive, you are making him work to try to nail you down, the trick is to go offensive enough to push him on his heels without over extending.

Edited by Kode on December 7, 2017 1:05AM
  • lynog85
    lynog85
    ✭✭✭
    Stamblades that spam cloak and have proc sets are the counter to a magblade. Sorcs are literal food for a magblade. If youre losing to tbem then it really is a l2p issue. Magdks providig they arent spamming wings are also pretty striaght forward.
  • kaithuzar
    kaithuzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lynog85 wrote: »
    Stamblades that spam cloak and have proc sets are the counter to a magblade. Sorcs are literal food for a magblade. If youre losing to tbem then it really is a l2p issue. Magdks providig they arent spamming wings are also pretty striaght forward.

Lol, good magdk's typically spam wings & double s&b on both bars.
    Member of:

Former member of:
  • Dreth
    Dreth
    ✭✭✭
    Still sucking with this class. Then I hop on my stam sorc and go 24/0 KB. My burst isnt there. My survivability isnt there. I get CC'ed and its game over. If anyone is willing, I'd like to duel some of you on here to see what it is you are doing that I'm not. PM me or whisper me @jakt.
  • lynog85
    lynog85
    ✭✭✭
    Still sucking with this class. Then I hop on my stam sorc and go 24/0 KB. My burst isnt there. My survivability isnt there. I get CC'ed and its game over. If anyone is willing, I'd like to duel some of you on here to see what it is you are doing that I'm not. PM me or whisper me @jakt.

What platform are you?
  • Trashs1
    Trashs1
    ✭✭✭
    magnb is for me the hardest to learn class ingame. i also throw away mine since i dont wana put that many effort in just one class
    Dolche des Königs (DDK); EuPC, DC, Sotha Sil,
  • Dreth
    Dreth
    ✭✭✭

What platform are you?

PC NA
  • zParallaxz
    zParallaxz
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Not true I can attest to that.
  • kaithuzar
    kaithuzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zParallaxz wrote: »

I didn't say good magdk's were on your platform =p
    Member of:

Former member of:
  • zParallaxz
    zParallaxz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zParallaxz wrote: »

I didn't say good magdk's were on your platform =p

What platform do u play on?
  • kaithuzar
    kaithuzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PC NA
    Member of:

Former member of: