The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Any decent MAGICKA NB builds around at the moment?

• fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Six0 wrote: »
    Any tips on how use path efficiently?

Finally moved on to destro/resto to give me bit more of cushion to learn class on, I'm seeing path on a lot of these build but I don't really know how to work path properly, I'm sat here with all these max range skill then path is just there like "hi melee range aoe that people will just avoid by move 3 meters to left/right"

I use Refreshing Path to activate the shadow passive (+5K resistances), and for the heal. That's it's main purpose. Stand on it, if the fight allows. A melee player will take a bit of damage. Let them come to you.

If you have no other source of speed you may use it while pursuing a fleeing player. Conversely it can be helpful if you are being focused. Shield or Healing Ward, then Path for additional heal and reposition, or possible escape into cloak.
    Edited by fred4 on November 3, 2017 11:13PM
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • agingerinohio
    agingerinohio
    ✭✭✭
    I plan to run Skoria, Clever Alch and Spinner's once I finish up.... lorebooking and skysharding -_- lol
  • kaithuzar
    kaithuzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're having trouble surviving try 1 chudan, 1 pirate, resto ult back bar
    Member of:
    Fantasia - osh kosh b-josh
    Just Chill - Crown's house
    GoldCloaks - Durruthy test server penga
    Small Meme Guild - Mano's house

Former member of:
    Legend - Siffer fan boy club
    TKO (tamriel knight's order) - free bks
    Deviance - Leonard's senche tiger
    Purple - hamNchz is my hero
    Eight Divines - myrlifax stop playing final fantasy
    WKB (we kill bosses) - turd where you go?
    Arcance Council - Klytz Kommander
    World Boss - Mike & Chewy gone EP
    M12 (majestic twelve) - cult of the loli zerg
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    kaithuzar wrote: »
    If you're having trouble surviving try 1 chudan, 1 pirate, resto ult back bar

I'm interested in your thoughts on chudan/pirate versus bloodspawn. I know the difference in uptime has to be considered but so does the increase in resto ulti uptime
  • Stratiss
    Stratiss
    Soul Shriven
    I faced a magicka nb tonight in a battleground who did over 1 mil damage and about 40 kills. His assassin's will hit me for 14k and his swallow soul hit me for 6k. How does someone get numbers like that? I'm lucky to even reach an 8k hit with my bow proc, that is if it even hits. I mentioned before that I'm running Julianos/Wizards/Skoria and I feel like my damage is terrible and I die instantly, what am I doing wrong with magicka nb? I love this class but can't seem to make it work.
  • kaithuzar
    kaithuzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Stratiss , you are not built for defense & your opponents are, that's why they melt you but you can't melt them. Also get better at using cloak + shade to get away & keep your shields up if you use them.

@Lexxypwns even with bloodspawn resto ult isnt up 100%, pirate & chudan is giving you survivability when it's not up. With your playstyle it probably doesn't matter though.
    Edited by kaithuzar on November 4, 2017 5:57AM
    Member of:
    Fantasia - osh kosh b-josh
    Just Chill - Crown's house
    GoldCloaks - Durruthy test server penga
    Small Meme Guild - Mano's house

Former member of:
    Legend - Siffer fan boy club
    TKO (tamriel knight's order) - free bks
    Deviance - Leonard's senche tiger
    Purple - hamNchz is my hero
    Eight Divines - myrlifax stop playing final fantasy
    WKB (we kill bosses) - turd where you go?
    Arcance Council - Klytz Kommander
    World Boss - Mike & Chewy gone EP
    M12 (majestic twelve) - cult of the loli zerg
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Stratiss , you are not built for defense & your opponents are, that's why they melt you but you can't melt them. Also get better at using cloak + shade to get away & keep your shields up if you use them.

@Lexxypwns even with bloodspawn resto ult isnt up 100%, pirate & chudan is giving you survivability when it's not up. With your playstyle it probably doesn't matter though.

Yeah, that makes sense, if you're brawling then bloodspawn is kinda just up and I'll have all my defensive buffs and HoTs running so if I take 3 seconds of damage without the proc then so what. I guess if you're a bit more of a kite spec then there's long periods of downtime on bloodspawn.

On a side note, I'm working on a no cloak 2h build for cwc that I'm pretty excited to test out!
  • TheMystid
    TheMystid
    ✭✭✭
    Lexxypwns wrote: »

Yeah, that makes sense, if you're brawling then bloodspawn is kinda just up and I'll have all my defensive buffs and HoTs running so if I take 3 seconds of damage without the proc then so what. I guess if you're a bit more of a kite spec then there's long periods of downtime on bloodspawn.

On a side note, I'm working on a no cloak 2h build for cwc that I'm pretty excited to test out!

I might be wrong but Innate Axiom seems made for 2H magblade... but maybe not so good for a no cloak build :/

edit: until the bug fix (see @NBrookus post)
    Edited by TheMystid on November 5, 2017 6:23PM
    PC EU

Nostalgic StamDk
  • Dreth
    Dreth
    ✭✭✭
    Stratiss wrote: »
    I faced a magicka nb tonight in a battleground who did over 1 mil damage and about 40 kills. His assassin's will hit me for 14k and his swallow soul hit me for 6k. How does someone get numbers like that? I'm lucky to even reach an 8k hit with my bow proc, that is if it even hits. I mentioned before that I'm running Julianos/Wizards/Skoria and I feel like my damage is terrible and I die instantly, what am I doing wrong with magicka nb? I love this class but can't seem to make it work.

Know that feel. Even if I manage to single someone out in BG I can just hear them laughing at their keyboard when I barely take 25% off their health when they turn around and destroy me unless I can get my cloak off in time and run away. I am built primarily for damage, sitting at around 2500 spell damage (which is not easy unbuffed where as its normal for stam classes to clear 3000 weapon damage no problem). I dont feel like I hit hard, and I get trucked by crit rushers on a regular basis....I just cant find the strength in this class but its the class I have the most hours in and love to death (literally).
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dreth wrote: »

Know that feel. Even if I manage to single someone out in BG I can just hear them laughing at their keyboard when I barely take 25% off their health when they turn around and destroy me unless I can get my cloak off in time and run away. I am built primarily for damage, sitting at around 2500 spell damage (which is not easy unbuffed where as its normal for stam classes to clear 3000 weapon damage no problem). I dont feel like I hit hard, and I get trucked by crit rushers on a regular basis....I just cant find the strength in this class but its the class I have the most hours in and love to death (literally).

What is your Max Magicka and what sets are you running?
  • Dreth
    Dreth
    ✭✭✭
    technohic wrote: »

I have a couple builds I have tried. Two of the most notable are:

Wizards Riposte + Trans/Lich + Skoria...sort of tanky, but pitiful damage. Like 1700 spell damage.

I have also tried Rattlecage + Lich + Troll King/Skoria/mismatch (using 5 light) for more damage. The damage here is ok....2500 spell damage but sustain is around 1600 magicka regen which is too low to play aggressive unless Lich is up. I like Rattlecage bc I dont have to worry about entropy dropping and I can attack with Major Sorcery out of stealth and Omens Edge is really easy to farm with great damage bonus. I could roll with recovery glyphs on jewelry but I'm right back in the same low damage situation again.

All in all I typically end up around 35k magicka with food up.

EDIT: So I decided to try War Maiden + Lich + Troll King tonight in some BG's. With full SD glyphs I am sitting at like 1750 SD. My Swallow Soul is hitting people for around 1600-1900 while I have cutting dive hammering me for 4600. So I have to sit there and deal with that kind of pressure using healing ward, layering my hots...I can fear them and regain a good amount of health...STILL ALIVE! They break my fear in around 2 seconds, I proc Will, it hits them for around 25% of their health, and I just get torn apart by their fissure/cutting dive. And this was actually a pretty fun fight compared to just getting crit rush/dizzying swing/heavy attacked to death almost instantly.

I am comfortable playing my stamblade with just huge amounts of damage right up front, glass cannon style. And I am comfortable playing my Mag DK where the fights are a little slower, but still able to apply heavy pressure til skoria procs and its gg. MagNB though just...so disheartening.
    Edited by Dreth on November 8, 2017 1:14AM
  • arkansas_ESO
    arkansas_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Wizards Riposte + Trans/Lich + Skoria...sort of tanky, but pitiful damage. Like 1700 spell damage.

I have also tried Rattlecage + Lich + Troll King/Skoria/mismatch (using 5 light) for more damage. The damage here is ok....2500 spell damage but sustain is around 1600 magicka regen which is too low to play aggressive unless Lich is up. I like Rattlecage bc I dont have to worry about entropy dropping and I can attack with Major Sorcery out of stealth and Omens Edge is really easy to farm with great damage bonus. I could roll with recovery glyphs on jewelry but I'm right back in the same low damage situation again.

EDIT: So I decided to try War Maiden + Lich + Troll King tonight in some BG's. With full SD glyphs I am sitting at like 1750 SD. My Swallow Soul is hitting people for around 1600-1900 while I have cutting dive hammering me for 4600. So I have to sit there and deal with that kind of pressure using healing ward, layering my hots...I can fear them and regain a good amount of health...STILL ALIVE! They break my fear in around 2 seconds, I proc Will, it hits them for around 25% of their health, and I just get torn apart by their fissure/cutting dive. And this was actually a pretty fun fight compared to just getting crit rush/dizzying swing/heavy attacked to death almost instantly.

I am comfortable playing my stamblade with just huge amounts of damage right up front, glass cannon style. And I am comfortable playing my Mag DK where the fights are a little slower, but still able to apply heavy pressure til skoria procs and its gg. MagNB though just...so disheartening.

Is your CP low? Your numbers shouldn't be as low as they are @Dreth

Grand Overlord 25/8/17
  • Knootewoot
    Knootewoot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I use full light: Kragnerac's hope, Warmaiden and Skoria (dual wield magblade). I have all jewels enchanted with magicka recovery and use the mundus stone which gives extra magicka. Try that and let me know :smile:

Why Kragnerac? Well I love to rez people asap when in a fight. But if you are more solo, I would switch kragnerac with julianos for more damage and crit chance. Play around with the jewel enchants for either more damage or sustain.

I did try switch warmaiden with riposte but if I need to go to defence it's mostly a lost battle anyway. Better to go all the way and die trying.
    ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
    "I am a nightblade. Blending the disciplines of the stealthy agent and subtle wizard, I move unseen and undetected, foil locks and traps, and teleport to safety when threatened, or strike like a viper from ambush. The College of Illusion hides me and fuddles or pacifies my opponents. The College of Mysticism detects my object, reflects and dispels enemy spells, and makes good my escape. The key to a nightblade's success is avoidance, by spell or by stealth; with these skills, all things are possible."
  • Subversus
    Subversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Minno wrote: »
    Trashs1 wrote: »
    trans+wizards+ skoria?? how do u do dmg with 2 defensive sets? @Lexxypwns

Well, at any given time I've got path, cripple, and funnel DoTs ticking and you're getting hit with a light attack every second an an assassin's will every 6 or less seconds. I actually absolutely melt people with the pressure, if all my DoTs tick + light attack + skoria + will that's like 18k+ damage hitting you at once, without an ultimate.

Furthermore, the tankiness means my offensive burst window is always open, I stop being offensive for long enough to refresh my buffs and cast 1 healing ward, but even then you're weaving and proc'ing the bow.

Mageblade has so much pressure and burst when played properly that you don't even need skoria in this setup tbh.

I always laugh at the mageblades stacking all damage because it's really not needed when you're staying aggressive and maintaining your pressure.

I 1vX in this setup EZ and it's got the group support to carry pugs in a BG

It helps if you can find a minimum for offensive stats. Ronaldo once told me for his mag builds a safe metric was 35-37k mag and 2700-3k SD buffed. I can get away with 33k mag but only because I'm a Templar, who arguably don't need the max mag, and I have a single target burst spell with puryfing light/burning light burst.

I'm far below both of those numbers in no-CP and barely approaching either of them in CP. You don't need damage on mageblade, the kit is pure aggression, everything heals you and most of it applies DoTs. It's all about knowing your build and how you manage your pressure and burst. With a high uptime on 20k available burst(with my low damage build) between will+soul harvest why would I need to stack more than that? My tooltip on major defile is 42% and my burst will drop 90% of builds into execute. If you're running sturdy over impen my will can damn near 1 shot you if you drop block.

Stacking damage is drastically over-rated on mageblade, the only damage stats I have that are notable are over 60% crit and between 1.88 and 2.03 CHD modifier.

@OdinForge trans/riposte/skoria in light provides more damage and sustain than trans/julianos in heavy with almost as much survivability. Removal of wrath next patch is just going to exacerbate that. I can't imagine running mageblade in heavy next patch.

Heavy magblade is still miles ahead light in duels, even this patch. Light is good against people that don't have a lot of burst pressure, but once you come up against some actual burst you're toast. I don't know how you have it on console but I know of one crazy good magblade on our server that can not survive with light against top tier burst.

Not to mention open world, I usually play 2vX with a stamblade (therefore I usually attract all the pressure) and I'd get absolutely annihilated in light with all the pressure that comes on me.

• Dreth
    Dreth
    ✭✭✭

500 CP. Will things get better with more CP? Because if thats the only thing holding me back I have no issue grinding it up.
    Edited by Dreth on November 8, 2017 12:34PM
  • Knootewoot
    Knootewoot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

500 CP. Will things get better with more CP? Because if thats the only thing holding me back I have no issue grinding it up.

If you have 500 CP, I doubt you will notice much difference with having 700 CP.

It also depends where you put them in of course.
    ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
    "I am a nightblade. Blending the disciplines of the stealthy agent and subtle wizard, I move unseen and undetected, foil locks and traps, and teleport to safety when threatened, or strike like a viper from ambush. The College of Illusion hides me and fuddles or pacifies my opponents. The College of Mysticism detects my object, reflects and dispels enemy spells, and makes good my escape. The key to a nightblade's success is avoidance, by spell or by stealth; with these skills, all things are possible."
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Knootewoot wrote: »

I use full light: Kragnerac's hope, Warmaiden and Skoria (dual wield magblade). I have all jewels enchanted with magicka recovery and use the mundus stone which gives extra magicka. Try that and let me know :smile:

Why Kragnerac? Well I love to rez people asap when in a fight. But if you are more solo, I would switch kragnerac with julianos for more damage and crit chance. Play around with the jewel enchants for either more damage or sustain.

I did try switch warmaiden with riposte but if I need to go to defence it's mostly a lost battle anyway. Better to go all the way and die trying.

I was running the same thing except Bloodspawn in stead of Skoria. And I run 2 heavy. Kags makes for a good scout and recon play style with the Rez speeds but I switched to shackle breaker for extra
    Stam and stam recovery. Helps my sneaking and break free being paired with Bloodspawn and the magicka/ spell damage is about the same.

Anyway; should hit hard enough with either plus war maiden. You either go extra damage with scoria or extra armor with blood spawn paired with soul harvest and you’ll have it up a ton. Not sure how @Dreth is not hitting hard. Maybe seeing the numbers on a shield where you can’t crit
  • Dreth
    Dreth
    ✭✭✭

I was running the same thing except Bloodspawn in stead of Skoria. And I run 2 heavy. Kags makes for a good scout and recon play style with the Rez speeds but I switched to shackle breaker for extra
    Stam and stam recovery. Helps my sneaking and break free being paired with Bloodspawn and the magicka/ spell damage is about the same.

Anyway; should hit hard enough with either plus war maiden. You either go extra damage with scoria or extra armor with blood spawn paired with soul harvest and you’ll have it up a ton. Not sure how @Dreth is not hitting hard. Maybe seeing the numbers on a shield where you can’t crit

I'll take a screen of my parse tonight over the length of a full BG and see what my numbers look like. Swallow Soul tool tips for like 6600, does that sound right?
    Edited by Dreth on November 8, 2017 2:26PM
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll take a screen of my parse tonight over the length of a full BG and see what my numbers look like. Swallow Soul tool tips for like 6600, does that sound right?

I’ll have to check; but is this without Assassin will and without major sorcery so unbuffed?
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes; mine shows at 6489 unbuffed with 1H/Shield bar. Gets up to about 7500 with major sorc and minor berserk.
  • Koolio
    Koolio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Yes; mine shows at 6489 unbuffed with 1H/Shield bar. Gets up to about 7500 with major sorc and minor berserk.

To me that seems really low. Unbuffed mine is at 8400. With merciless and sorcery mine at 9538.

• technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Koolio wrote: »

To me that seems really low. Unbuffed mine is at 8400. With merciless and sorcery mine at 9538.

What gear are you running?
  • Koolio
    Koolio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Shacklebreaker Amberplasm Valkyn DW Resto. Which it why it seems low to me. Both I consider to be regen sets.
    Edited by Koolio on November 8, 2017 4:52PM
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You whom struggling at BGs, do you duel with your build @Dreth ?
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Shacklebreaker Amberplasm Valkyn DW Resto. Which it why it seems low to me. Both I consider to be regen sets.

I’m sure dual wield over 1h and shield should help a lot, but also I don’t think War Maiden shows up on the tooltip. Might be where the difference is.
  • Koolio
    Koolio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Shacklebreaker Amberplasm Valkyn DW Resto. Which it why it seems low to me. Both I reconsider to be regen sets.

I’m sure dual wield over 1h and shield should help a lot, but also I don’t think War Maiden shows up on the tooltip. Might be where the difference is.

War maiden does show up on tooltips but not character sheet. Mine shows a 300 Damage tooltip difference (war maiden slightly higher) between the two. I also run tri glyphs so I'm short about 2500 max magic.
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Shacklebreaker Amberplasm Valkyn DW Resto. Which it why it seems low to me. Both I reconsider to be regen sets.

War maiden does show up on tooltips but not character sheet. Mine shows a 300 Damage tooltip difference (war maiden slightly higher) between the two. I also run tri glyphs so I'm short about 2500 max magic.

Hmm now I’m wondering where I am missing some damage. I will have to look
  • Koolio
    Koolio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Hmm now I’m wondering where I am missing some damage. I will have to look

I do run 1 Nirn weapon and heavy into direct damage CP. High Elf.
  • Irylia
    Irylia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whatever zendran uses.

War maiden lich skoria

Or his bucket build
  • Dreth
    Dreth
    ✭✭✭
    TQ9ih3s.jpg

e1BadR0.jpg

This is my War Maiden + Lich + Troll King with all SD glyphs. I took the screen on the backbar so my crit is really 47%.

So here is what I am working with. My swallow soul was actually fairly high this fight and its still mid 2000's. But look at that Assassins Will....3k?? I fought a BG where some guy is hitting me with jabs for 4k...
    Edited by Dreth on November 9, 2017 12:36AM