The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Any decent MAGICKA NB builds around at the moment?

• Koolio
    Koolio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    TheMystid wrote: »
    Lexxypwns wrote: »
    Minno wrote: »
    Trashs1 wrote: »
    trans+wizards+ skoria?? how do u do dmg with 2 defensive sets? @Lexxypwns

Well, at any given time I've got path, cripple, and funnel DoTs ticking and you're getting hit with a light attack every second an an assassin's will every 6 or less seconds. I actually absolutely melt people with the pressure, if all my DoTs tick + light attack + skoria + will that's like 18k+ damage hitting you at once, without an ultimate.

Furthermore, the tankiness means my offensive burst window is always open, I stop being offensive for long enough to refresh my buffs and cast 1 healing ward, but even then you're weaving and proc'ing the bow.

Mageblade has so much pressure and burst when played properly that you don't even need skoria in this setup tbh.

I always laugh at the mageblades stacking all damage because it's really not needed when you're staying aggressive and maintaining your pressure.

I 1vX in this setup EZ and it's got the group support to carry pugs in a BG

It helps if you can find a minimum for offensive stats. Ronaldo once told me for his mag builds a safe metric was 35-37k mag and 2700-3k SD buffed. I can get away with 33k mag but only because I'm a Templar, who arguably don't need the max mag, and I have a single target burst spell with puryfing light/burning light burst.

I'm far below both of those numbers in no-CP and barely approaching either of them in CP. You don't need damage on mageblade, the kit is pure aggression, everything heals you and most of it applies DoTs. It's all about knowing your build and how you manage your pressure and burst. With a high uptime on 20k available burst(with my low damage build) between will+soul harvest why would I need to stack more than that? My tooltip on major defile is 42% and my burst will drop 90% of builds into execute. If you're running sturdy over impen my will can damn near 1 shot you if you drop block.

Stacking damage is drastically over-rated on mageblade, the only damage stats I have that are notable are over 60% crit and between 1.88 and 2.03 CHD modifier.

@OdinForge trans/riposte/skoria in light provides more damage and sustain than trans/julianos in heavy with almost as much survivability. Removal of wrath next patch is just going to exacerbate that. I can't imagine running mageblade in heavy next patch.

.. Soul Harvest or Incap for Major Defile, if I may ask? :/

Both give defile
  • TheMystid
    TheMystid
    ✭✭✭
    Koolio wrote: »

Well, at any given time I've got path, cripple, and funnel DoTs ticking and you're getting hit with a light attack every second an an assassin's will every 6 or less seconds. I actually absolutely melt people with the pressure, if all my DoTs tick + light attack + skoria + will that's like 18k+ damage hitting you at once, without an ultimate.

Furthermore, the tankiness means my offensive burst window is always open, I stop being offensive for long enough to refresh my buffs and cast 1 healing ward, but even then you're weaving and proc'ing the bow.

Mageblade has so much pressure and burst when played properly that you don't even need skoria in this setup tbh.

I always laugh at the mageblades stacking all damage because it's really not needed when you're staying aggressive and maintaining your pressure.

It helps if you can find a minimum for offensive stats. Ronaldo once told me for his mag builds a safe metric was 35-37k mag and 2700-3k SD buffed. I can get away with 33k mag but only because I'm a Templar, who arguably don't need the max mag, and I have a single target burst spell with puryfing light/burning light burst.

I'm far below both of those numbers in no-CP and barely approaching either of them in CP. You don't need damage on mageblade, the kit is pure aggression, everything heals you and most of it applies DoTs. It's all about knowing your build and how you manage your pressure and burst. With a high uptime on 20k available burst(with my low damage build) between will+soul harvest why would I need to stack more than that? My tooltip on major defile is 42% and my burst will drop 90% of builds into execute. If you're running sturdy over impen my will can damn near 1 shot you if you drop block.

Stacking damage is drastically over-rated on mageblade, the only damage stats I have that are notable are over 60% crit and between 1.88 and 2.03 CHD modifier.

@OdinForge trans/riposte/skoria in light provides more damage and sustain than trans/julianos in heavy with almost as much survivability. Removal of wrath next patch is just going to exacerbate that. I can't imagine running mageblade in heavy next patch.

Both give defile

That for sure. I asked because I shift from one to another and felt like an extra opinion could help me make my mind...

Btw, what is in your opinion the mag regen safecap for a good magblade build? With Transmutation/Wizard with one regen glyph I barely hit 1.8k (with tristat food)...
    PC EU

Nostalgic StamDk
  • Koolio
    Koolio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Both give defile

That for sure. I asked because I shift from one to another and felt like an extra opinion could help me make my mind...

Btw, what is in your opinion the mag regen safecap for a good magblade build? With Transmutation/Wizard with one regen glyph I barely hit 1.8k (with tristat food)...

If destro staff I'm normally at about 1600ish. I've been running DW for a few months now. And like to run high regen builds. Right now I'm using Shacklebreaker amberplasm. All tri glyphs with witchmothers. Valkyn.

Unbuffed
    39.9k max magic
    20k health in pve
    16k max Stam
    2500 base SD
    47% crit
    2400 magic recovery
    1400 Stam recovery

I don't use a SD buff for bar space and use SD detect pots for the buff.

I use soul harvest
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Both give defile

If destro staff I'm normally at about 1600ish. I've been running DW for a few months now. And like to run high regen builds. Right now I'm using Shacklebreaker amberplasm. All tri glyphs with witchmothers. Valkyn.

Unbuffed
    39.9k max magic
    20k health in pve
    16k max Stam
    2500 base SD
    47% crit
    2400 magic recovery
    1400 Stam recovery

I use soul harvest

Imo, safe amounts of regen comes down to 1 simple question, are you running cloak?

If so you need 1800++ in light or 1600 ++in heavy, run witchmothers and tri-stat glyphs to maintain enough stam and mag sustains

If not 1600/1400 are manageable, unless you mist form a lot then you'll need more regen to make up for the lost regen
  • Koolio
    Koolio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Both give defile

Unbuffed
    39.9k max magic
    20k health in pve
    16k max Stam
    2500 base SD
    47% crit
    2400 magic recovery
    1400 Stam recovery

I use soul harvest

Imo, safe amounts of regen comes down to 1 simple question, are you running cloak?

If so you need 1800++ in light or 1600 ++in heavy, run witchmothers and tri-stat glyphs to maintain enough stam and mag sustains

If not 1600/1400 are manageable, unless you mist form a lot then you'll need more regen to make up for the lost regen

Yes I do run cloak. And since I don't get magic from heavy attacks sustaining in fight against good players can be difficult with 1800.

I could run less regen if healing ward wasn't broken.
  • exeeter702
    exeeter702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Oops
    Edited by exeeter702 on October 26, 2017 1:14AM
  • Bam_Bam
    Bam_Bam
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Both give defile

What race is your char?
    Joined January 2014
    PC EU - PvE & BGs & PvP (Vivec)
    Grand Master Crafter

#DiscordHypeSquad

Stream
    Lims Kragm'a
    Bam Bam Bara
  • TheMystid
    TheMystid
    ✭✭✭
    its an High Elf. I used to play it back in Homestead... Then I switched to stamdk... no wonder I'm coming back to it now...
    PC EU

Nostalgic StamDk
  • Stoopid_Nwah
    Stoopid_Nwah
    ✭✭✭✭
    I see a million magnbs in pvp that rely so heavily on shields that they end up getting stuck in a defensive cycle of spamming shields just to postpone their death a bit longer; I much prefer relying on hots. As magnb we have amazing hots, use them, love them.

As for what I personally like running: inferno/resto with either warmaidens or overwhelming front bar and trans or wizards backbar. Skoria is great but I use 1 domihaus 1 chudan so I can get my resistances and stam pool a bit higher. Bloodspawn is also a solid choice.

It's scary to get used to at first in pvp running without dampen/harness if you've previously used it, but with refreshing path, funnel, degeneration, and siphoning attacks all healing you, you'll find your survivability is a lot higher in 1vx situations, and you can stay on the offensive where magnbs excel and belong.

Might I recommend running a tri-glyph or a few and adding bloodspawn in place of 1 chudan 1 domi, the stam regen + tri-glyphs will do the same as the 1 domi for stam sustain and you end up with the very desirable BS proc, putting you at ~28k resists in light
    I've honestly tried bloodspawn and while I think it's a great set, I just can't stand having any RNG elements :lol:. Though I will say the ultimate gain of bspawn paired with soul harvest does make me pretty happy. Right now on my magnb setup I'm around the 26k resistance mark permanently anyway and I get to keep my higher magicka pool that I'd give up if I dropped domi and equipped some triglyphs.
  • Six0
    Six0
    So I'm starting out, went amber+spinners DW/resto because why not try learn a high skill curve class on one of it's more challenging setups. After a few days I've made the tactical choice to probably learn the class on a destro/resto build, now riposte+skoria interests me because I've ran it before on a magplar so I'm familiar with it.

So my question is, what the thoughts on Spinners vs War Maiden for a damage set? Maybe Innate Axiom but I feel like the 2-4 bonus of the others are better, I've have seen transmutation recommended but I'm feeling a damage set.

TL;DR Spinners or War Maiden?
  • kaithuzar
    kaithuzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Six0 wrote: »
    So I'm starting out, went amber+spinners DW/resto because why not try learn a high skill curve class on one of it's more challenging setups. After a few days I've made the tactical choice to probably learn the class on a destro/resto build, now riposte+skoria interests me because I've ran it before on a magplar so I'm familiar with it.

So my question is, what the thoughts on Spinners vs War Maiden for a damage set? Maybe Innate Axiom but I feel like the 2-4 bonus of the others are better, I've have seen transmutation recommended but I'm feeling a damage set.

TL;DR Spinners or War Maiden?

Spinners if destro, war maiden if duel wield; I think that's pretty standard.
    Duel wield probably doesn't use skoria though.
    Riposte is good for either build.
    For duel wield monster, you just have to see what you're lacking or what you want more of.
    Things to consider:
    1) If the enemy dies fast enough, you won't need defense as much; if at all.
    2) If you & the enemy are both doing equal amounts of damage to each other at the same time, the person who can mitigate a fraction of the damage passively is the winner.

GLHF
    Edited by kaithuzar on October 30, 2017 6:44PM
    Member of:
    Fantasia - osh kosh b-josh
    Just Chill - Crown's house
    GoldCloaks - Durruthy test server penga
    Small Meme Guild - Mano's house

Former member of:
    Legend - Siffer fan boy club
    TKO (tamriel knight's order) - free bks
    Deviance - Leonard's senche tiger
    Purple - hamNchz is my hero
    Eight Divines - myrlifax stop playing final fantasy
    WKB (we kill bosses) - turd where you go?
    Arcance Council - Klytz Kommander
    World Boss - Mike & Chewy gone EP
    M12 (majestic twelve) - cult of the loli zerg
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My favorite build to play on magblade is:

5 bsw infused fire destro frontbar
    5 clever alchemist infused resto backbar
    2 skoria

5 heavy 1 light 1 medium fullimpen

1x costreduction 2 spelldmg on jewelry

attro mundus
    <Noricum>
    I live. I die. I live again.

Derra - DC - Sorc - AvA 50
    Derrah - EP - Sorc - AvA 50

• Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Derra wrote: »
    My favorite build to play on magblade is:

5 bsw infused fire destro frontbar
    5 clever alchemist infused resto backbar
    2 skoria

5 heavy 1 light 1 medium fullimpen

1x costreduction 2 spelldmg on jewelry

attro mundus

Dat burst
  • Calboy
    Calboy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone tried running 5 light with s&b on a magblade with a lowered block cost? I've had alot of success running it on a mdk and it's very fun and my biggest issue with a melee mnb is survivability up close
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Calboy wrote: »
    Anyone tried running 5 light with s&b on a magblade with a lowered block cost? I've had alot of success running it on a mdk and it's very fun and my biggest issue with a melee mnb is survivability up close

It works really well with alteration as well and can work on any class
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm running it right now over dual wield but pretty much use it just if I see big attacks coming. I'm actually surprised how tanky my LA MNB can be with HOTs running.
  • Calboy
    Calboy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    technohic wrote: »

I'm running it right now over dual wield but pretty much use it just if I see big attacks coming. I'm actually surprised how tanky my LA MNB can be with HOTs running.

OK you have convinced me. I was thinking about pairing spinners, tavas and bloodspawn and maybe the stam morph of siphoning strikes for something a bit different
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    technohic wrote: »

OK you have convinced me. I was thinking about pairing spinners, tavas and bloodspawn and maybe the stam morph of siphoning strikes for something a bit different

Leeching is very nice for stam sustain, however, @fred4 pointed out that the leeching heals scale
    Off weapon crit and therefore are less desirable than siphoning heals. Just a question of which is more important
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I find 12K stam + 800 stam regen adequate in PvP, while using Immovability potions or very occasionally cloaking away when my stam gets too low to break free. Note I use Forward Momentum, which both costs and saves stamina - not sure how that impacts the bottom line on stamina use.

800 stam regen basically means 1x stam recovery from the likes of Blood Spawn, Shacklebreaker, Imperial Physique, or jewelry enchant. An alternative is to use stamina cost increase poisons that return stamina to you. Amber Plasm or the Serpent mundus would be more than I truly need for my build at least.

As there are all these alternatives, I would always use Siphoning Attacks with what I know now, if I was considering that skill for my magblade. It may feel unnatural to put a stam recovery enchant on jewelry, but when that means switching from Leeching to Siphoning Attacks, it's all for the better.

In terms of healing over time potential against a target skeleton, I found roughly the following hierarchy of magblade skills:

BEST:

Funnel Health / Swallow Soul, followed closely by:
    Refreshing Path

A TIER BELOW THAT, AND FAIRLY CLOSELY MATCHED:

Siphoning Attacks
    Rapid Regeneration

QUITE USELESS, E.G. ANOTHER TIER BELOW:

Minor Lifesteal

SPECIAL MENTION:

Healthy Offering, used on yourself. A HOT that ticks every one second and is almost twice the HPS of Swallow Soul, however it spends almost half of it's run-time making up for the initial hit you take to your health. Useful under moderate pressure, if you can predict that burst is coming in a few seconds. Under high pressure, on the other hand, you'll kill yourself with it.

AND THE UPSHOT, FOR MY OWN BUILD:

With limited bar space and opportunity costs for everything, I only make room for the two top-performing skills from the above list: Swallow Soul and Refreshing Path. The resource return from Siphoning / Leeching isn't great, and the healing, while adequate, only works while you are attacking. IMO an overnerfed skill, and no match for Crit Surge or certain Warden skills.

BONUS TIP: BEST RESOURCE MANAGEMENT SKILL, INSTEAD OF SIPHONING ATTACKS, GOES TO:

Harness Magicka. Works in most situations, e.g. when you are not facing purely stamina opponents.
    Edited by fred4 on November 1, 2017 5:31AM
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • Bam_Bam
    Bam_Bam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    fred4 wrote: »
    I find 12K stam + 800 stam regen adequate in PvP, while using Immovability potions or very occasionally cloaking away when my stam gets too low to break free. Note I use Forward Momentum, which both costs and saves stamina - not sure how that impacts the bottom line on stamina use.

800 stam regen basically means 1x stam recovery from the likes of Blood Spawn, Shacklebreaker, Imperial Physique, or jewelry enchant. An alternative is to use stamina cost increase poisons that return stamina to you. Amber Plasm or the Serpent mundus would be more than I truly need for my build at least.

As there are all these alternatives, I would always use Siphoning Attacks with what I know now, if I was considering that skill for my magblade. It may feel unnatural to put a stam recovery enchant on jewelry, but when that means switching from Leeching to Siphoning Attacks, it's all for the better.

In terms of healing over time potential against a target skeleton, I found roughly the following hierarchy of magblade skills:

BEST:

Refreshing Path

Siphoning Attacks
    Rapid Regeneration

Minor Lifesteal

SPECIAL MENTION:

Healthy Offering, used on yourself. A HOT that ticks every one second and is almost twice the HPS of Swallow Soul, however it spends almost half of it's run-time making up for the initial hit you take to your health. Useful under moderate pressure, if you can predict that burst is coming in a few seconds. Under high pressure, on the other hand, you'll kill yourself with it.

With limited bar space and opportunity costs for everything, I only make room for the two top-performing skills from the above list: Swallow Soul and Refreshing Path. The resource return from Siphoning / Leeching isn't great, and the healing, while adequate, only works while you are attacking. IMO an overnerfed skill, and no match for Crit Surge or certain Warden skills.

BONUS TIP: BEST RESOURCE MANAGEMENT SKILL, INSTEAD OF SIPHONING ATTACKS, GOES TO:

Harness Magicka. Works in most situations, e.g. when you are not facing purely stamina opponents.

This where I think Argonians come into their own as Magblades. I've heard they make decent tanks and good healers but if you live on potions (and in particular the 'right' potions) as an Argonian, you get a lot of leeway in the resource management skills you select. The flipside of the coin though is that its very expensive (potions and their ingredients are always expensive lol). Which is why I'm almost perma-broke. Ha. :p
    Joined January 2014
    PC EU - PvE & BGs & PvP (Vivec)
    Grand Master Crafter

#DiscordHypeSquad

Stream
    Lims Kragm'a
    Bam Bam Bara
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Baranthus wrote: »

BEST:

Refreshing Path

Siphoning Attacks
    Rapid Regeneration

Minor Lifesteal

SPECIAL MENTION:

This where I think Argonians come into their own as Magblades. I've heard they make decent tanks and good healers but if you live on potions (and in particular the 'right' potions) as an Argonian, you get a lot of leeway in the resource management skills you select. The flipside of the coin though is that its very expensive (potions and their ingredients are always expensive lol). Which is why I'm almost perma-broke. Ha. :p

Argonian is the best mageblade race by a noticeable margin. I've played dunmer, alter, Breton, imperial, bosmer, and argonian on mageblade and there's nothing close
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm considering switching to medium armor pelinal's mageblade. I know, less penetration, and less crit, but moar spell dmg, cheaper dodge roll, sprinting and sneak, and the chance to use rally as a heal while cloaking.

Anyone has tried it?
    Sarcasm is something too serious to be taken lightly

I was born with the wrong sign
    In the wrong house
    With the wrong ascendancy
    I took the wrong road
    That led to the wrong tendencies
    I was in the wrong place at the wrong time
    For the wrong reason and the wrong rhyme
    On the wrong day of the wrong week
    Used the wrong method with the wrong technique
  • TheMystid
    TheMystid
    ✭✭✭
    Xvorg wrote: »
    I'm considering switching to medium armor pelinal's mageblade. I know, less penetration, and less crit, but moar spell dmg, cheaper dodge roll, sprinting and sneak, and the chance to use rally as a heal while cloaking.

Anyone has tried it?

I went Pelinal medium + agility once... . I think I had about 35k magicka, 14k stamina, 3.5k buffed SD/WD (with 2H nirnhoned vMA sword... RIP... :'( ). And sustain was great due to witchmother (over 2k MR) and medium armor passives (1k SR)... Ofc not the best build around (pros and cons are easy to figure out), but definetly funny to play!
    PC EU

Nostalgic StamDk
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Xvorg wrote: »

Anyone has tried it?

I went Pelinal medium + agility once... . I think I had about 35k magicka, 14k stamina, 3.5k buffed SD/WD (with 2H nirnhoned vMA sword... RIP... :'( ). And sustain was great due to witchmother (over 2k MR) and medium armor passives (1k SR)... Ofc not the best build around (pros and cons are easy to figure out), but definetly funny to play!

Oki.

I was thinking something like ancients + pelinals + ilambris + weapon, flame staff as 2H backbar, but willpower is not that bad imho.

Other option is pelinal's + WoF (love the proc on my dunmer) + kena. Currently my Mageblade's fire proc is hitting around 2.5k extra plus oblivion (1.7k) + crushing shock (like 1k each)
    Sarcasm is something too serious to be taken lightly

I was born with the wrong sign
    In the wrong house
    With the wrong ascendancy
    I took the wrong road
    That led to the wrong tendencies
    I was in the wrong place at the wrong time
    For the wrong reason and the wrong rhyme
    On the wrong day of the wrong week
    Used the wrong method with the wrong technique
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Argonian is the best mageblade race by a noticeable margin. I've played dunmer, alter, Breton, imperial, bosmer, and argonian on mageblade and there's nothing close
    It's the swim speed, isn't it? I bet the slaughterfish underneath Alessia bridge don't get you. Adds a whole new dimension to the game :).
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • Koolio
    Koolio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's the swim speed, isn't it? I bet the slaughterfish underneath Alessia bridge don't get you. Adds a whole new dimension to the game :).

I've definitely had that passive save me a few times lol.
  • Stratiss
    Stratiss
    Soul Shriven
    Thinking of changing to a heavy armor build for magblade pvp. I was thinking of trying either seducers/spinners or seducers/rattlecage, would either of those be viable to use or should I stay in light armor? My current build is Julianos/Wizards/Skoria but I just feel so weak and die so easily.
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I've definitely had that passive save me a few times lol.

Me too! Had a group completely divide trying to corner my argonian in the river, was able to swim circles around em!
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Six0
    Six0
    Any tips on how use path efficiently?

Finally moved on to destro/resto to give me bit more of cushion to learn class on, I'm seeing path on a lot of these build but I don't really know how to work path properly, I'm sat here with all these max range skill then path is just there like "hi melee range aoe that people will just avoid by move 3 meters to left/right"
  • HEBREWHAMMERRR
    HEBREWHAMMERRR
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I almost have a setup for this finally put together. It’s basically going to be identical to what @LokoMatic runs on his magDK with 5 alteration master / 5 light impreg w/ sturdy and bloodspawn/skoria. Biggest thing for survivability is block casting to keep your hots rolling and keeping up mirage. Also making sure our time your fears well for timing up your burst / diminishing returns cooldown to drain opponent stamina.