Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

lack of asain/ oriental look

• Vulture051
    Vulture051
    ✭✭✭
    I'm turning Akaviri
    I think I'm turning Akaviri
    I really think so
    Turning Akaviri
    I think I'm turning Akaviri
    I really think so
    3 new classes. 3 new spellcasters. Zenimax has forgotten how to make melee classes.
  • platonicidealgirlfriend
    tplink3r1 wrote: »
    tplink3r1 wrote: »
    TheMaster wrote: »
    There's a "squint" option and plenty of races have tan skin options. The Soul-Shriven Swords look like katanas. Not sure what more you could possibly want.

Epicanthic folds and a more Asian nose shape would be a start. Reducing a very broad range of ethnicities to squinty eyes and tan skin is really racist.
    There's a "squint" option and plenty of races have tan skin options. The Soul-Shriven Swords look like katanas. Not sure what more you could possibly want.

Epicanthic folds and a more Asian nose shape would be a start. Reducing a very broad range of ethnicities to squinty eyes and tan skin is really racist.
    That's the idea. Nords with squint eyes or Bretons with dark brown skin are not a thing in TES lore, get over it.

People can have all sorts of combinations of traits from their parents. Race and appearance isn't something that is that concrete. This is true in The Elder Scrolls as well. Lorebooks in setting point out that people have traits from both of their parents regardless of race. Bretons exist. Considering the amount of interaction between all the people of Tamriel and the fact that interracial families exist, we should have the option to create Bretons with dark brown skin and Nords with epicanthic folds.
    ''Lorebooks in setting point out that people have traits from both of their parents regardless of race.''
    There is 0 evidence to support that the word ''traits'' in the book refers to physical traits.

''Bretons exist.''
    Still they don't have any visual elven trait, only a gift in magicka and intellect.

Never at any point we had humans with pointy ears, Nords with brown skin, Altmers with Orc teeth, or anything like that. Just stop.

From the 3rd PGE:

"One of the earliest tales of Khosey describes a Nord raiding party attacking a group of what they presumed to be Aldmer, but who were, on closer inspection, a mongrel race between elf and human, the remnants of the earlier lost Nedic tribe. They were somewhat awkwardly called "Manmeri," but we know them today as Bretons."

Another account of the same event described the Bretons as "in ten generations of Elven intermingling and slavery, had become scarcely recognizable as humans. Indeed, the hunting party attacked them thinking they were some new strain of Aldmeri, halting their slaughter only when one of the oldest began to wail for his life, a shrieking plea that was spoken in broken Nordic."

Beyond that, we have this very game, which gave us the option to create pointed Breton ears. Hybridization is fairly well established in the TES canon.

ETA: There are also biracial children depicted or implied in various TES games that don't follow the "mother's race" pattern. The important thing to remember is that race in the Elder Scrolls isn't as strict as depicted in the character creation system; the most obvious example of this is how the Colovians, etc. of Cyrodiil are collapsed simply into "Imperials."
    Edited by platonicidealgirlfriend on August 21, 2017 6:36PM
  • ThePrinceOfBargains
    ThePrinceOfBargains
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And the lore doesn't say there's no race representing Asians. Point me to where it says that.

Um, it says it in every TES game ever made?

The only human races in Tamriel are white, brown, and black. There used to be silver-skinned too but they went extinct.

Nords are based on Scandanevians.

Bretons are based on the French.

Imperials are based on Romans.

Redguards are based on North (and maybe East) Africans.

You can't suddenly change or make things up.
    So never? Good to know.

Lack of information is not confirmation. The presence of features from one real race doesn't deny the possibility of features from others.
    Edited by ThePrinceOfBargains on August 21, 2017 6:32PM
  • CheepsNSalsa
    CheepsNSalsa
    ✭✭✭✭
    Megabear wrote: »
    Hmm maybe they can officially add a race based on Asians into the lore. Maybe next single player game.

Noooooo! Leave the elder scrolls alone. Don't let it be corrupted by neckbeards and weaboos looking for virtual waifus. PLEASE.
  • hmsdragonfly
    hmsdragonfly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @rynth Please stop. You know nothing about Asian culture. Asian people don't beg other people to make games (or movies or any other kind of entertainment) representing their culture. If they want Asian culture to be represented in a game, they make the damn game themselves. Take a look around, they have a well developed game industry, they have made a *** loads of games about their culture, they don't need some random dude who doesn't even respect their culture to cry about how Asian people are not being represented properly in a game they didn't make. This is so disrespectful towards Asian people, their heritage, their culture, their game industry and their own ability to create.

Mods, please close this stupid thread.

You're overreacting.

Oh I am not. It's so disrespectful towards Asian people if someone complains about the lack of Asian culture in Western entertainment and media industry, because doing so implies that Asian can't create things themselves, which is not true. If they want themselves to be represented in a game, they will freaking make their own game, and make sure that they do it right.

Is this a joke? You seem pretty serious, but what you're saying makes so little sense, I'm having trouble believing it's serious.

His complaint doesn't imply that at all. Like, not even in the slightest sense of the word "imply." I guarantee you no one came into this thread and thought "wow, OP is implying Asian people can't make things."

Oh? OP complained about the lack of "asain" look (whatever the **** "asain" means), despite the fact that Tamriel as an established universe doesn't have any race representing Asian people. The only one influenced by Asian culture is the Akaviri (we don't know how they actually look) but they are from Akavir and they are already extinct. Then OP proceeded to complain that the game has races representing black and white people (Redguards, Imperials, Nords, Bretons) but no race representing Asian people, so OP wanted the devs to add "Asian look" just for the sake of diversity, screw the lore, screw the authenticity, who gives a **** about the 15-year well-established lore behind the wonderfully crafted Elder Scrolls universe, who gives a **** about the authenticity, right? Asian people don't cry about how a game doesn't have a race representing them, if Elder Scrolls universe doesn't have a race representing Asian people, then that universe doesn't have a race representing Asian people, it's freaking disrespectful to the authenticity and the lore if you add something extremely out of place just to fill in the racial quota, and it's freaking disrespectful towards Asian people and their culture because again, if they want themselves to be featured in a game, they make the damn game themselves.

Again, this is nothing short of preposterous and reaching at best. It is absolutely not disrespectful for the OP to request Asian features in a western video game. As for the lore, it's just a video game. No one should have such reverence for it that they wouldn't complain about certain aspects of it. It's fiction. You don't have to like or respect the request personally, but going on this rant that's intentionally overcomplicating the issue doesn't prove your point at all.

I'm absolutely not saying he's right, as I don't think we need more Asian options. But what you're trying to say is outright absurd. I can't even focus on one specific statement because all of what you're saying is complete nonsense. You're overexaggerating the issue.

Asking the creator of a product to screw the authenticity and add representation of Asian people for no reason whatsoever is disrepectful towards both the creator and Asian people, it implies that Asian people are unable to make movies and games themselves so they are desperate to be represented in games and movies made by others. If the lore says there's no race representing Asian people, it means there's no race representing Asian people, full stop. You don't think it's disrespectful? Sure, suit yourself, but they think it's disrespectful to them, and they don't care what you think either.

Again, it doesn't imply any of that. Not even in the slightest. See, this is what you're doing. You're taking a request you didn't like and making up all of this nonsense for it to make your point of view seem more objective. And the lore doesn't say there's no race representing Asians. Point me to where it says that. The character models have changed drastically over the years, and there's no objective reason the Imperials or some other race couldn't be given more Asian-esque features in the next game.

"but they think it's disrespectful to them"
    Why the hell do you think you're the voice for Asian people? You're not. Nobody but you came into this thread and got "OP is implying Asians can't make games" from his post. It doesn't matter how stupid you think it is. What you're saying is absurd to anyone and everyone with an ounce of common sense.

I am not saying I am the voice of Asian people, but I live there. Do you live there? No. Does OP live there? No. Then don't pretend that you know. I live there so I know what is disrespectful for them and what is not, it's actually the first thing you should know. They have a great sense of pride. They don't beg some Western companies to include Asian representatives in their products, it's up to the creator of the product to decide if he wants to add something representing Asian people to fulfill a creative purpose, but the idea of adding something extremely out of place just because there's nothing currently representing "Asian look" is mindblowingly stupid, as if Asian people are unable to make movies and games themselves so they are that desperate to be represented in games and movies made by others. If they want to be represented in movies and games, they make their own movies and games, they don't need your racial quota.

Lore doesn't say there's no race representing Asian people? There are 4 Men races in Tamriel:
    - Nords: based on Scandinavian people.
    - Imperials: based on the Romans.
    - Bretons: based on Western European people (French, German, English)
    - Redguards: based on Africans.
    So, everything in the lore says that there's no race representing Asian people. The Akiviri might be based on Japanese might be snake-looking people, but they are extinct. There are races with cultures and architecture influenced by Asian culture, Akaviri architecture is based on Japanese architecture, Argonian architecture is a mix of South East Asian and Native American architecture, Khajiiti achitecture is based on South Asian architecture, but there's no race with the look based on Asian people.
    Edited by hmsdragonfly on August 21, 2017 6:52PM
    Aldmeri Dominion Loyalist. For the Queen!
  • hmsdragonfly
    hmsdragonfly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And the lore doesn't say there's no race representing Asians. Point me to where it says that.

The only human races in Tamriel are white, brown, and black. There used to be silver-skinned too but they went extinct.

So never? Good to know.

Lack of information is not confirmation. The presence of features from one real race doesn't deny the possibility of features from others.

There are only 4 things on the table: an apple, a tomato, a potato and an orange.
    Question: are there grapes on the table? Answer: No.
    That's not "lack of information". That's a confirmation that there's no grape on the table.
  • ThePrinceOfBargains
    ThePrinceOfBargains
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So never? Good to know.

There are only 4 things on the table: an apple, a tomato, a potato and an orange.
    Question: are there grapes on the table? Answer: No.
    That's not "lack of information". That's a confirmation that there's no grape on the table.
    Awful analogy. That's not a lack of information. I can see everything on the table. The form of the fruit does not change. You cannot compare that to a video game series where the character models and designs have changed multiple times and we have not seen everything.

@rynth Please stop. You know nothing about Asian culture. Asian people don't beg other people to make games (or movies or any other kind of entertainment) representing their culture. If they want Asian culture to be represented in a game, they make the damn game themselves. Take a look around, they have a well developed game industry, they have made a *** loads of games about their culture, they don't need some random dude who doesn't even respect their culture to cry about how Asian people are not being represented properly in a game they didn't make. This is so disrespectful towards Asian people, their heritage, their culture, their game industry and their own ability to create.

You're overreacting.

Oh I am not. It's so disrespectful towards Asian people if someone complains about the lack of Asian culture in Western entertainment and media industry, because doing so implies that Asian can't create things themselves, which is not true. If they want themselves to be represented in a game, they will freaking make their own game, and make sure that they do it right.

Is this a joke? You seem pretty serious, but what you're saying makes so little sense, I'm having trouble believing it's serious.

His complaint doesn't imply that at all. Like, not even in the slightest sense of the word "imply." I guarantee you no one came into this thread and thought "wow, OP is implying Asian people can't make things."

Oh? OP complained about the lack of "asain" look (whatever the **** "asain" means), despite the fact that Tamriel as an established universe doesn't have any race representing Asian people. The only one influenced by Asian culture is the Akaviri (we don't know how they actually look) but they are from Akavir and they are already extinct. Then OP proceeded to complain that the game has races representing black and white people (Redguards, Imperials, Nords, Bretons) but no race representing Asian people, so OP wanted the devs to add "Asian look" just for the sake of diversity, screw the lore, screw the authenticity, who gives a **** about the 15-year well-established lore behind the wonderfully crafted Elder Scrolls universe, who gives a **** about the authenticity, right? Asian people don't cry about how a game doesn't have a race representing them, if Elder Scrolls universe doesn't have a race representing Asian people, then that universe doesn't have a race representing Asian people, it's freaking disrespectful to the authenticity and the lore if you add something extremely out of place just to fill in the racial quota, and it's freaking disrespectful towards Asian people and their culture because again, if they want themselves to be featured in a game, they make the damn game themselves.

Again, this is nothing short of preposterous and reaching at best. It is absolutely not disrespectful for the OP to request Asian features in a western video game. As for the lore, it's just a video game. No one should have such reverence for it that they wouldn't complain about certain aspects of it. It's fiction. You don't have to like or respect the request personally, but going on this rant that's intentionally overcomplicating the issue doesn't prove your point at all.

I'm absolutely not saying he's right, as I don't think we need more Asian options. But what you're trying to say is outright absurd. I can't even focus on one specific statement because all of what you're saying is complete nonsense. You're overexaggerating the issue.

Asking the creator of a product to screw the authenticity and add representation of Asian people for no reason whatsoever is disrepectful towards both the creator and Asian people, it implies that Asian people are unable to make movies and games themselves so they are desperate to be represented in games and movies made by others. If the lore says there's no race representing Asian people, it means there's no race representing Asian people, full stop. You don't think it's disrespectful? Sure, suit yourself, but they think it's disrespectful to them, and they don't care what you think either.

Again, it doesn't imply any of that. Not even in the slightest. See, this is what you're doing. You're taking a request you didn't like and making up all of this nonsense for it to make your point of view seem more objective. And the lore doesn't say there's no race representing Asians. Point me to where it says that. The character models have changed drastically over the years, and there's no objective reason the Imperials or some other race couldn't be given more Asian-esque features in the next game.

"but they think it's disrespectful to them"
    Why the hell do you think you're the voice for Asian people? You're not. Nobody but you came into this thread and got "OP is implying Asians can't make games" from his post. It doesn't matter how stupid you think it is. What you're saying is absurd to anyone and everyone with an ounce of common sense.

I am not saying I am the voice of Asian people, but I live there. Do you live there? No. Does OP live there? No. Then don't pretend that you know. I live there so I know what is disrespectful for them
    So you're not the voice, but you're speaking for them. Lol okay.
    They have a great sense of pride. They don't beg some Western companies to include Asian representatives in their products, it's up to the creator of the product to decide if he wants to add something representing Asian people to fulfill a creative purpose, but the idea of adding something extremely out of place just because there's nothing currently representing "Asian look" is mindblowingly stupid
    It is stupid. Has nothing to do with why I'm calling your argument absurd.
    as if Asian people are unable to make movies and games themselves so they are that desperate to be represented in games and movies made by others. If they want to be represented in movies and games, they make their own movies and games, they don't need your racial quota.
    OP did not at all imply this, which is why I reiterate that your point is absurd.
    Lore doesn't say there's no race representing Asian people? There are 4 Men races in Tamriel:
    - Nords: based on Scandinavian people.
    - Imperials: based on the Romans.
    - Bretons: based on Western European people (French, German, English)
    - Redguards: based on Africans.
    So, everything in the lore says that there's no race representing Asian people. The Akiviri might be based on Japanese might be snake-looking people, but they are extinct. There are races with cultures and architecture influenced by Asian culture, Akaviri architecture is based on Japanese architecture, Argonian architecture is a mix of South East Asian and Native American architecture, Khajiiti achitecture is based on South Asian architecture, but there's no race with the look based on Asian people.
    None of what you posted proves that. It supports your argument, but it is not written in the lore. "Based on" does not mean "is." They are not any of those races, meaning they are not necessarily bound to appear like them. They could have traits from Asians.
    Edited by ThePrinceOfBargains on August 21, 2017 7:08PM
  • Chilly-McFreeze
    Chilly-McFreeze
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Like they couldn't suddenly change how Khajiit and Argonians looked compared to e.g. TESIII, especially the feet ?

However, I don't get the buzz about this. Request is some more variability in facial character costumisation and maybe more different skin tones. Where is the problem? In ESO it's possible to create Redguards with white skin or Bretons with rather dark skin tones. So what?
  • nimander99
    nimander99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Unfortunately Akaviri have never been a playable race. Due to their incursions into Morrowind and Skyrim and even Cyrodiil, it is possible that they interbred with local's. There are the Blades that protected Uriel Septim VII who were the direct descendant group of Reman's Akaviri Dragonguard from the 1st Era, so it is possible that there 'should' be Akaviri racial traits available... Lorewise.
    I AM UPDATING MY PRIVACY POLICY

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

∽∽∽ 2 years of Elder Scrolls Online ∼∼∼
    "Give us money" = Box sales & monthly sub fees,
    "moar!" = £10 palomino horse,
    "MOAR!" = Switch to B2P, launch cash shop,
    "MOAR!!" = Charge for DLC that subs had already paid for,
    "MOAR!!!" = Experience scrolls and riding lessons,
    "MOARR!!!" = Vampire/werewolf bites,
    "MOAARRR!!!" = CS exclusive motifs,
    "MOOAARRR!!!" = Crown crates,
    "MOOOAAARRR!!!" = 'Chapter's' bought separately from ESO+,
    "MOOOOAAAARRRR!!!!" = ???

Male, Dunmer, VR16, Templar, Aldmeri Dominion, Master Crafter & all Traits, CP450
  • SilverIce58
    SilverIce58
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't know where people are getting the idea that Akaviri men are "extinct". The UESP states that they were "eaten" by the Tsaesci, but nobody knows what "eaten" means. It could mean subdued, it could mean enslaved, it very well could mean that they were literally eaten, but that's all up to interpretation.

http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Akaviri

the UESP even states that "the Akaviri Diary Translation of an Akaviri messenger states that during his journey to deliver orders to Fort Pale Pass he met another Akaviri messenger, stating that his leg had been badly hurt by wolves. As the Tsaesci are described as beings with humanoid upper body and snake lower bodies, to being entirely snake-like, this statement would suggest that men indeed continued to live in Akavir, even if they were enslaved by the Tsaesci." With such limited information, everyone should refrain from saying absolutes like "Akaviri men are extinct".

Also, on the asian note, yes Bretons could be based on Celtic/Gaelic/French origins, Nords on Scandinavian origins, and Imperials on Roman/Italian origins. "The Redguards are the toughest nut to crack of the human races. The story of the sinking of Yakuda draws obvious comparisons to Atlantis, while their appearance points to sub-saharan Africa. On top of that, their naming conventions, attire, and weaponry point to the Bedouin Arabs. I think this last comparison is the closest - the scimitars and robes seen in Skyrim and the architecture in Redguard and daggerfall show clear Arabian influences."- https://www.reddit.com/r/teslore/comments/vjgno/real_life_inspirations_for_the_races_of_tamriel/
    However, The Elder Scrolls already has all sorts of races; beast, man, and mer alike, and as such if anyone is going to make a new race it'd be Bethesda (the creators of the series), not ZOS. Zos can add into ESO whatever race Bethesda has made, so if you want to complain about a race not being represented or whatever it is you're doing OP, go tell it to Bethesda.
    PC - NA
    CP 1125
    Veric Blackwood - Breton Magsorc DC
    Xhiak-Qua'cthurus - Argonian Frost Warden EP
    Kujata-qa - Khajiit Magplar AD
    Suunleth-dar - Khajiit Stamblade AD
    Teldryn Antharys - Dunmer Flame DK EP
    Strikes-With-Venom - Argonian Poison DK EP
    Rur'san-ra - Khajiit WW Stamsorc AD
    Ilianos Solinar - Altmer Stamplar AD
    Iscah Silver-Heart - Reachman Magden DC
  • rynth
    rynth
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Like they couldn't suddenly change how Khajiit and Argonians looked compared to e.g. TESIII, especially the feet ?

However, I don't get the buzz about this. Request is some more variability in facial character costumisation and maybe more different skin tones. Where is the problem? In ESO it's possible to create Redguards with white skin or Bretons with rather dark skin tones. So what?
    yes thank you, I don't want create a new race just a bit more in character creation.

and TheMaster thank you for defending topic and keeping a clear head

as to you Hmsdragonfly you need to just chill come down from your high horse and stop thinking this is some cultural thing you DO NOT speak for culture even if you do live there and are a part of it. You took something that was just a request/observation and went a whole new level and way, way overboard with it.

And since couldn't find something close to in character creation I went with highelf for skin tone and the aquiline smooth delicate features . Not to mention their long lives and sense of meditative culture I get from then (this is only my opinion so cool off hmsoverboard). and went ahead and purchased the haircut in the crown store.
    Edited by rynth on August 21, 2017 8:34PM
    When asked what he would do for a Klondike bar. Grand Moff Tarkin said "why I would blow up Alderaan."
  • Tyrobag
    Tyrobag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hmm maybe they can officially add a race based on Asians into the lore. Maybe next single player game.

No, they can't. They cannot just throw in new races with no history in the series. Also, you can most defiantly make your characters have an oriental look about them.
  • Megabear
    Megabear
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Noooooo! Leave the elder scrolls alone. Don't let it be corrupted by neckbeards and weaboos looking for virtual waifus. PLEASE.

I have a suspicion that they will add Asian-ish race into Elder Scrolls lore though. Eventually. Personally I don't care either way.
    Guide to making $$$ in Tamriel: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/370618/guide-to-making-gold-in-eso/p1?new=1
    Cost analysis for potential ESO players: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/367919/cost-analysis-for-brand-new-potential-pc-eso-players#latest
    Warden Bow Healer/DPS Hybrid Build: http://tamrielfoundry.com/topic/warden-bow-healerdps-hybrid/
    Warden "The Warladin" Healer/Tank Hybrid Build: http://tamrielfoundry.com/topic/warden-the-warladin-healertank-hybrid-build/
    Warden Stamina DPS Build: http://tamrielfoundry.com/topic/warden-dps-build/
    Server - PC/NA
    Vhevet - (S) Night Blade/Female/Orsimer
    Ecaer - (M) Templar/Female/Breton
    Captain Beaster Bunny - (S) Warden/Male/Red Guard
    Ezaera - (M) Sorcerer/Female/Altmer
    Ecaeri - (M) Warden/Female/Argonian
    Dun-and-Dunmer - (M) Dragon Knight/Male/Dunmer
    What Can Go Wong - (S) Night Blade/Male/Bosmer
    Izaer - (M) Templar/Male/Breton
  • kichwas
    kichwas
    ✭✭✭✭
    LMar wrote: »
    This is not the earth nor does it have earth cultures.

Then why does it have 3 different types of white people?

Anglos, Swedish, and Italian...

Certain folks have been using your excuse there for far too long to explain away ethnic pandering to only their own in fantasy gaming.
    Jah bless
    PST timezone - mostly PvE player.

Super casual player
    Seeking a casual 'lets do some dungeons and world stuff together' guild.
  • kichwas
    kichwas
    ✭✭✭✭
    @rynth Please stop. You know nothing about Asian culture. Asian people don't beg other people to make games (or movies or any other kind of entertainment) representing their culture. If they want Asian culture to be represented in a game, they make the damn game themselves.

No actually what happens is we get shouted down by folks like you.

And there are quite a lot of "us" in tech so when you say "a game they didn't make" you kind of out your own racism.

Then again I am multi-racial, Asian, Black, Latino. And I am sitting around a stack of people here in Silicon Valley of all different races... So check that bias please about who is or isn't involved in making stuff. We don't go to exclusive race-camps when we sit down to code despite what you may be imagining...
    Jah bless
    PST timezone - mostly PvE player.

Super casual player
    Seeking a casual 'lets do some dungeons and world stuff together' guild.
  • Megabear
    Megabear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^ What he/she said.
    Guide to making $$$ in Tamriel: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/370618/guide-to-making-gold-in-eso/p1?new=1
    Cost analysis for potential ESO players: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/367919/cost-analysis-for-brand-new-potential-pc-eso-players#latest
    Warden Bow Healer/DPS Hybrid Build: http://tamrielfoundry.com/topic/warden-bow-healerdps-hybrid/
    Warden "The Warladin" Healer/Tank Hybrid Build: http://tamrielfoundry.com/topic/warden-the-warladin-healertank-hybrid-build/
    Server - PC/NA
  • hmsdragonfly
    hmsdragonfly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awful analogy. That's not a lack of information. I can see everything on the table. The form of the fruit does not change. You cannot compare that to a video game series where the character models and designs have changed multiple times and we have not seen everything.

You can also see all 4 races, so yes you have seen everything about the appearance of those 4 races. Are you suggesting that we should make the Nords (a race based on Scadinavian people) or the Imperials (a race based on the Romans) or the Bretons (a race based on Western European people) or the Redguards (a race based on Africans) to look more Asian? What about the authenticity? Screw it? What is the purpose of such nonsense?
    lol why am I even here lol.

So you're not the voice, but you're speaking for them. Lol okay.

I don't speak for them, I can't stand people who think they are speaking for Asian people by demanding to add Asian representatives to a product even though it can be extremely out of place and screw up with the authenticity of said product. And I am explaining that such an action is considered disrepectful towards Asian people and their culture, they don't need you to fill them in your stupid racial quota, if they want them to be represented they will make the product themselves.
    It is stupid. Has nothing to do with why I'm calling your argument absurd.
    Glad we agree that what OP is asking for is stupid.
    OP did not at all imply this, which is why I reiterate that your point is absurd.
    That was the explanation of why they think it's disprectful.
    None of what you posted proves that. It supports your argument, but it is not written in the lore. "Based on" does not mean "is." They are not any of those races, meaning they are not necessarily bound to appear like them. They could have traits from Asians.

Of course it's not "is", they are fictional races not real ones, but "based on" means they are designed to be like them, and they have always look like them. They have never looked like Asians.
  • The_Smilemeister
    The_Smilemeister
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think we can all agree that this post is getting more attention than it deserves.

Yes, there are already races based off of different Asian cultures. Yes, there is already a race based off of Eastern Asian cultures. No, there is no reason for it to be introduced to the game (as of yet) because it's not applicable to do so since there's no room for them to fill in. This is assuming that lore even intends for them to be alive and not go the way of the Kothringi.

Adding a culture for the sake of "inclusiveness" and social justice goes against the freedom of the developers. They should add something because they either want to or because they feel it's appropriate to do so, not because someone thinks it's racist that their own or someone else's people haven't been added and the developers feel bullied and/or threatened to do so.

Like with a previous post regarding these "non-binary" genders, this is another non-issue that has gone on for far too long and needs to die.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a suspicion that they will add Asian-ish race into Elder Scrolls lore though. Eventually. Personally I don't care either way.

They don't have to, and will probably not do it as a playable race, if they do.
    ESO Plus: No
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Khajiits are asian. However due to the excessive amounts of fur, this is very hard, if not impossible to see. I can assure you that this is indeed the case tho. According to maiq, they are very very asian.

Dunmer seem quite Persian to me...
    Sarcasm is something too serious to be taken lightly

I was born with the wrong sign
    In the wrong house
    With the wrong ascendancy
    I took the wrong road
    That led to the wrong tendencies
    I was in the wrong place at the wrong time
    For the wrong reason and the wrong rhyme
    On the wrong day of the wrong week
    Used the wrong method with the wrong technique
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

You know notrhing about South American culture, thus none of us is complaining or asking for that feature in this game.

Tamriel is Tamriel, no Asian, no South American, no Eskimo. No complaints.

In the wrong house
    I took the wrong road
  • BrianDavion
    BrianDavion
    ✭✭✭✭
    kichwas wrote: »
    LMar wrote: »
    This is not the earth nor does it have earth cultures.

Then why does it have 3 different types of white people?

Anglos, Swedish, and Italian...

Certain folks have been using your excuse there for far too long to explain away ethnic pandering to only their own in fantasy gaming.

proably because at it's heart Tamerial is a european fantasy setting? Modern day society is a wonderfully mixed place featuring people from all over living together etc. it's great. but expecting that level of of inclusion in all settings etc is silly. it cheapens things. I'd hold this opinion in Asian fantasy games as well, where I'd be opposed to including white people unless there was some sort of story reason for it. I'd not be opposed at all if TES 6 was "TES: Akavri" and it included an akavari human as a choice and had a major asian feel. (hell I'd not even be opposed to them doing an expansion for this game doing it) but just sliding in asian humans into tamerial and saying "THEY WHERE THERE ALL ALONG" would feel cheap. you might not care about the story and setting, but TES is an RPG series, immersion and story are biiig parts of what sells it to the fans.

BTW on the note of asian fantasy I absolutely adored Jade Empire and would LOVE to see more games like it.
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Koensol wrote: »
    Artis wrote: »

You're overreacting.

That is your interpretation. It says nothing definite about what the OP implied. He most likely is just sad that can't make the character he wants, because there is no 'real' asian style in ESO.

I for one am glad because of it. Most games with asian style characters, haircuts and graphics are just childish and over the top. GW2 being the prime example. Just my honest personal opinion.

Nah, he's right in this one and you aren't.

And well - too bad for OP? Very sad? And I'm very sad I can't make a cockroach looking character with 12 pony tails, so what? Apparently, Tamriel doesn't have those, it also happens not to have Asians. Probably, because there's no Asia on Nirn.
    As far as I see he didn't state any facts. Just his interpretation. You might agree, but that doesn't make it true. When I read the OP's post I didn't once think he qas being disrespectful of Asian culture. What does that tell you about perspective?

OP might be wrong about what Asian culture really is like, but that is more ignorance than disrespect.

He might not mean to disrespect Asian culture, but his action (complaining about how the game has races representing black and white people but no race representing Asian people, and asking devs to add things to represent "Asian look" while the lore and the authenticity of the universe don't support it) is disrespectful towards Asian people and their culture. Also his inability to spell the word "Asian" right is annoying.

I can see why you could think that would be disrespectful. Still, knowing there is no intent, why feel disrespected? To me, you are still overreacting. I live in a country where people call you disrespectful of culture and racist, even when you disagree with them on the most trivial of matters... And let me tell you, it annoys the crap out of me. In stead of acting like a victim and call racist and disrespect, just try and clear things up in a normal way without pulling the victim card.

By the way, you are using a whole other argument. Your first point was:
    "It's so disrespectful towards Asian people if someone complains about the lack of Asian culture in Western entertainment and media industry, because doing so implies that Asian can't create things themselves." Which to me is a really far-fetched implication. As if this has anything to do with being able or unable to create another game... I fail to see any connection between possible asian influences in ESO and what you just typed in that response.

I don't know how to read minds, so I am not going to pretend that I know what is going on in his mind. What I know is that the action speaks for itself.

Victim card? Who is the victim here? As far as I know, the OP is the one who is pulling the victim card "OMG this game doesn't represent the ABC race, I am so mad!". Dude, please stop, the lore of the Elder Scrolls universe says that there's no race representing Asian people, and that means there's no race representing Asian people, you can't screw the 15-year-old well-established lore and the authenticity of the beautifully crafted world just because you want to add something extremely out of place to ESO. That's extremely disrespectful to the lore, the creators behind it, the franchise, and also to Asian people and their culture. Looks like You are also pulling the victim card, not me. "People in my country do this and that, and I don't like it!" Dude, I don't give two flying fucurus about what people do in your country. OK? And since we are talking about annoying stuffs, do you know what annoys me? All the stupid people who keep complaining about the lack of "diversity" and try to squeeze in all the "representatives" just to fill in a quota - without any consideration about the authenticity of the product. Like, "OMG there's no representation of Asian people in this movie, unacceptable", dude, it is set in Southern Europe, during the Roman Empire, there's no Asian there, and if Asian people want them to be represented in a movie, they will make the movie themselves, they don't need some foreigners to speak on their behalf and obviously they don't need some foreigners to beg other foreigners to include Asian people in something that has nothing to do with Asian people and their culture.

Far-fetched implication? I will rephrase my statement properly: It's so disrespectful towards Asian people when someone complains about the lack of Asian culture in Western entertainment and media industry. Asking the creator of the product to screw the authenticity and add representation of Asian people for no freaking reason is disrepectful towards both the creator and Asian people, it implies that Asian people are unable to make movies and games themselves so they are desperate to be represented in games and movies made by others.
    I should have known better than to respond to a racially/culture influenced thread. My god the overreaction...

Can we all agree that it's unreasonable to add "Asian look" to ESO, given the rich lore and the authenticity of a well-established 15-year-old Elder Scrolls universe?

Please, stop

You can't ask the author of any work to represent your opinion, because what he does represent HIS opinion.

It is Tamriel, a fantastic continente in a fantastic world called Nirn. By no way it should be a representation of Earth.

This remind me the stupid point John Boyega made about GoT. He doesn't like it because ther are no african races... Ask George R.R. Martin why and accept his point.

So any piece of work should address ethnicity to make every peroson in the world comfortable about it, even if it breaks its own lore?

I'm South American. My culture has been ignored during the last 500 years and rarely sees any representation in the gaming industry (Asian game industry is the one that has represented us less than anything in the world), being most of the time addressed by an stereotyped Mexican. Do you see any of us complaining about that, despite living in the west side of earth? No

We play the game for fun and not for politics. Authors are not obligued by any mean to be expert in all the cultures in the world. Instead they have to make a consistent work. If it's fun, then it's ok.

If you want a game about Asian culture, why don't you start with a script instead? Then I could go a criticize you for not including Mayans or Incas or Zulu people...
    Edited by Xvorg on August 21, 2017 10:56PM

In the wrong house
    I took the wrong road
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't want to interfere, but just as a reminder, there's no such thing as "Tamerial" anywhere in the Elder Scrolls. If you mean "Tamriel", please write "Tamriel".

On topic, I don't see why any game should include "all" styles, races and faces - unless there's a creative reason for it. If it's just for the sake of "political correctness", it's BS imho. And for those who truly miss the "asian look", I'm not much of a gamer but I think video games with asian looking characters are more than plenty.

Edited by anitajoneb17_ESO on August 21, 2017 11:00PM
  • Megabear
    Megabear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kLcqlba.jpg
    Server - PC/NA
  • Bouldercleave
    Bouldercleave
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I looked all over the map of Tamriel but couldn't find Asia anywhere. Could someone please show me where it is on the map please?
  • WaltherCarraway
    WaltherCarraway
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xvorg wrote: »
    Artis wrote: »

You're overreacting.

That is your interpretation. It says nothing definite about what the OP implied. He most likely is just sad that can't make the character he wants, because there is no 'real' asian style in ESO.

I for one am glad because of it. Most games with asian style characters, haircuts and graphics are just childish and over the top. GW2 being the prime example. Just my honest personal opinion.

Nah, he's right in this one and you aren't.

And well - too bad for OP? Very sad? And I'm very sad I can't make a cockroach looking character with 12 pony tails, so what? Apparently, Tamriel doesn't have those, it also happens not to have Asians. Probably, because there's no Asia on Nirn.
    As far as I see he didn't state any facts. Just his interpretation. You might agree, but that doesn't make it true. When I read the OP's post I didn't once think he qas being disrespectful of Asian culture. What does that tell you about perspective?

OP might be wrong about what Asian culture really is like, but that is more ignorance than disrespect.

He might not mean to disrespect Asian culture, but his action (complaining about how the game has races representing black and white people but no race representing Asian people, and asking devs to add things to represent "Asian look" while the lore and the authenticity of the universe don't support it) is disrespectful towards Asian people and their culture. Also his inability to spell the word "Asian" right is annoying.

I can see why you could think that would be disrespectful. Still, knowing there is no intent, why feel disrespected? To me, you are still overreacting. I live in a country where people call you disrespectful of culture and racist, even when you disagree with them on the most trivial of matters... And let me tell you, it annoys the crap out of me. In stead of acting like a victim and call racist and disrespect, just try and clear things up in a normal way without pulling the victim card.

By the way, you are using a whole other argument. Your first point was:
    "It's so disrespectful towards Asian people if someone complains about the lack of Asian culture in Western entertainment and media industry, because doing so implies that Asian can't create things themselves." Which to me is a really far-fetched implication. As if this has anything to do with being able or unable to create another game... I fail to see any connection between possible asian influences in ESO and what you just typed in that response.

I don't know how to read minds, so I am not going to pretend that I know what is going on in his mind. What I know is that the action speaks for itself.

Victim card? Who is the victim here? As far as I know, the OP is the one who is pulling the victim card "OMG this game doesn't represent the ABC race, I am so mad!". Dude, please stop, the lore of the Elder Scrolls universe says that there's no race representing Asian people, and that means there's no race representing Asian people, you can't screw the 15-year-old well-established lore and the authenticity of the beautifully crafted world just because you want to add something extremely out of place to ESO. That's extremely disrespectful to the lore, the creators behind it, the franchise, and also to Asian people and their culture. Looks like You are also pulling the victim card, not me. "People in my country do this and that, and I don't like it!" Dude, I don't give two flying fucurus about what people do in your country. OK? And since we are talking about annoying stuffs, do you know what annoys me? All the stupid people who keep complaining about the lack of "diversity" and try to squeeze in all the "representatives" just to fill in a quota - without any consideration about the authenticity of the product. Like, "OMG there's no representation of Asian people in this movie, unacceptable", dude, it is set in Southern Europe, during the Roman Empire, there's no Asian there, and if Asian people want them to be represented in a movie, they will make the movie themselves, they don't need some foreigners to speak on their behalf and obviously they don't need some foreigners to beg other foreigners to include Asian people in something that has nothing to do with Asian people and their culture.

Far-fetched implication? I will rephrase my statement properly: It's so disrespectful towards Asian people when someone complains about the lack of Asian culture in Western entertainment and media industry. Asking the creator of the product to screw the authenticity and add representation of Asian people for no freaking reason is disrepectful towards both the creator and Asian people, it implies that Asian people are unable to make movies and games themselves so they are desperate to be represented in games and movies made by others.
    I should have known better than to respond to a racially/culture influenced thread. My god the overreaction...

Can we all agree that it's unreasonable to add "Asian look" to ESO, given the rich lore and the authenticity of a well-established 15-year-old Elder Scrolls universe?

Please, stop

You can't ask the author of any work to represent your opinion, because what he does represent HIS opinion.

It is Tamriel, a fantastic continente in a fantastic world called Nirn. By no way it should be a representation of Earth.

This remind me the stupid point John Boyega made about GoT. He doesn't like it because ther are no african races... Ask George R.R. Martin why and accept his point.

So any piece of work should address ethnicity to make every peroson in the world comfortable about it, even if it breaks its own lore?

I'm South American. My culture has been ignored during the last 500 years and rarely sees any representation in the gaming industry (Asian game industry is the one that has represented us less than anything in the world), being most of the time addressed by an stereotyped Mexican. Do you see any of us complaining about that, despite living in the west side of earth? No

We play the game for fun and not for politics. Authors are not obligued by any mean to be expert in all the cultures in the world. Instead they have to make a consistent work. If it's fun, then it's ok.

If you want a game about Asian culture, why don't you start with a script instead? Then I could go a criticize you for not including Mayans or Incas or Zulu people...

You forgot Argonian.
    Back from my last hiatus. 2021 a new start.
  • bottleofsyrup
    bottleofsyrup
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tyrobag wrote: »
    awedgmaxbeq6.jpg
    rynth wrote: »
    what sword and hat is that. I'm assuming the rest is Akavari for the clothing

Is that hat in game?
    RavenSworn wrote: »
    holy hell where did you get that hat/helmet? I NEED THIS

It is the Tsaesci style light armor. The motif has not been released yet. This picture came from the Morrowind PTS, when the War Maiden armor used the style. We don't know yet when the motif will be released. Nothing of this style in available in game.

Looks incredible. Hope they release it on Live in one of the next updates.
  • Megabear
    Megabear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks incredible. Hope they release it on Live in one of the next updates.

I agree. One of best motifs I've seen so far.

Server - PC/NA
  • ThePrinceOfBargains
    ThePrinceOfBargains
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can also see all 4 races, so yes you have seen everything about the appearance of those 4 races. Are you suggesting that we should make the Nords (a race based on Scadinavian people) or the Imperials (a race based on the Romans) or the Bretons (a race based on Western European people) or the Redguards (a race based on Africans) to look more Asian? What about the authenticity? Screw it? What is the purpose of such nonsense?
    lol why am I even here lol.
    I'm not suggesting any of that. I'm telling you that appearances of said races have changed several times. Therefore, you cannot say they always have to look a certain way.
    I don't speak for them, I can't stand people who think they are speaking for Asian people by demanding to add Asian representatives to a product even though it can be extremely out of place and screw up with the authenticity of said product. And I am explaining that such an action is considered disrepectful towards Asian people and their culture, they don't need you to fill them in your stupid racial quota, if they want them to be represented they will make the product themselves.
    You're saying you're not speaking for them whilst continuing to speak for them at the same time. No one in their right mind is going to consider a request for Asian features in a western game to be disrespectful. Period. Saying they can't make their own things would be disrespectful, but that is not what the OP is saying or implying. You don't want this because you feel it's unnecessary and feel it goes against the lore. Stop trying to hide that behind some kind of respect for the Asian culture. None of what you're saying is logical.
    Glad we agree that what OP is asking for is stupid.
    That's not what I meant. I meant that the implication of Asian features being necessary is stupid. OP's request is fine. I personally don't care either way, but there's nothing wrong with the request.
    That was the explanation of why they think it's disprectful.
    Still speaking for them I see. Your explanation is nonsense.
    Of course it's not "is", they are fictional races not real ones, but "based on" means they are designed to be like them, and they have always look like them. They have never looked like Asians.
    They have never looked like Asians, but that doesn't mean they can't ever look like Asians. Not every character of every race looks the same. In the future, a character of one race may exhibit common features of an Asian. There is nothing that says this cannot happen.