Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

lack of asain/ oriental look

• Radinyn
    Radinyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only on JP server or nowhere.
  • Tyrobag
    Tyrobag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    awedgmaxbeq6.jpg
    rynth wrote: »
    what sword and hat is that. I'm assuming the rest is Akavari for the clothing

Is that hat in game?
    RavenSworn wrote: »
    holy hell where did you get that hat/helmet? I NEED THIS

It is the Tsaesci style light armor. The motif has not been released yet. This picture came from the Morrowind PTS, when the War Maiden armor used the style. We don't know yet when the motif will be released. Nothing of this style in available in game.
    Edited by Tyrobag on August 21, 2017 3:05PM
  • Anhedonie
    Anhedonie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Dunmers, orcs and altmers have traces of asian culture.
    Profanity filter is a crime against the freedom of speech. Also gags.
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    rynth wrote: »
    I was wondering what is up with a lack of an oriental/Asian look heck even a Samurai like hair cut

The fact that there are no Asian-looking people in Tamriel?
  • SelfTherapy
    SelfTherapy
    ✭✭✭
    bd14c32a2599a98fb374884b91e76a85.jpg
  • hmsdragonfly
    hmsdragonfly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Koensol wrote: »
    Artis wrote: »
    TheMaster wrote: »
    @rynth Please stop. You know nothing about Asian culture. Asian people don't beg other people to make games (or movies or any other kind of entertainment) representing their culture. If they want Asian culture to be represented in a game, they make the damn game themselves. Take a look around, they have a well developed game industry, they have made a *** loads of games about their culture, they don't need some random dude who doesn't even respect their culture to cry about how Asian people are not being represented properly in a game they didn't make. This is so disrespectful towards Asian people, their heritage, their culture, their game industry and their own ability to create.

Mods, please close this stupid thread.

You're overreacting.

Oh I am not. It's so disrespectful towards Asian people if someone complains about the lack of Asian culture in Western entertainment and media industry, because doing so implies that Asian can't create things themselves, which is not true. If they want themselves to be represented in a game, they will freaking make their own game, and make sure that they do it right.
    That is your interpretation. It says nothing definite about what the OP implied. He most likely is just sad that can't make the character he wants, because there is no 'real' asian style in ESO.

I for one am glad because of it. Most games with asian style characters, haircuts and graphics are just childish and over the top. GW2 being the prime example. Just my honest personal opinion.

Nah, he's right in this one and you aren't.

And well - too bad for OP? Very sad? And I'm very sad I can't make a cockroach looking character with 12 pony tails, so what? Apparently, Tamriel doesn't have those, it also happens not to have Asians. Probably, because there's no Asia on Nirn.
    As far as I see he didn't state any facts. Just his interpretation. You might agree, but that doesn't make it true. When I read the OP's post I didn't once think he qas being disrespectful of Asian culture. What does that tell you about perspective?

OP might be wrong about what Asian culture really is like, but that is more ignorance than disrespect.

He might not mean to disrespect Asian culture, but his action (complaining about how the game has races representing black and white people but no race representing Asian people, and asking devs to add things to represent "Asian look" while the lore and the authenticity of the universe don't support it) is disrespectful towards Asian people and their culture. Also his inability to spell the word "Asian" right is annoying.

I can see why you could think that would be disrespectful. Still, knowing there is no intent, why feel disrespected? To me, you are still overreacting. I live in a country where people call you disrespectful of culture and racist, even when you disagree with them on the most trivial of matters... And let me tell you, it annoys the crap out of me. In stead of acting like a victim and call racist and disrespect, just try and clear things up in a normal way without pulling the victim card.

By the way, you are using a whole other argument. Your first point was:
    "It's so disrespectful towards Asian people if someone complains about the lack of Asian culture in Western entertainment and media industry, because doing so implies that Asian can't create things themselves." Which to me is a really far-fetched implication. As if this has anything to do with being able or unable to create another game... I fail to see any connection between possible asian influences in ESO and what you just typed in that response.

I don't know how to read minds, so I am not going to pretend that I know what is going on in his mind. What I know is that the action speaks for itself.

Victim card? Who is the victim here? As far as I know, the OP is the one who is pulling the victim card "OMG this game doesn't represent the ABC race, I am so mad!". Dude, please stop, the lore of the Elder Scrolls universe says that there's no race representing Asian people, and that means there's no race representing Asian people, you can't screw the 15-year-old well-established lore and the authenticity of the beautifully crafted world just because you want to add something extremely out of place to ESO. That's extremely disrespectful to the lore, the creators behind it, the franchise, and also to Asian people and their culture. Looks like You are also pulling the victim card, not me. "People in my country do this and that, and I don't like it!" Dude, I don't give two flying fucurus about what people do in your country. OK? And since we are talking about annoying stuffs, do you know what annoys me? All the stupid people who keep complaining about the lack of "diversity" and try to squeeze in all the "representatives" just to fill in a quota - without any consideration about the authenticity of the product. Like, "OMG there's no representation of Asian people in this movie, unacceptable", dude, it is set in Southern Europe, during the Roman Empire, there's no Asian there, and if Asian people want them to be represented in a movie, they will make the movie themselves, they don't need some foreigners to speak on their behalf and obviously they don't need some foreigners to beg other foreigners to include Asian people in something that has nothing to do with Asian people and their culture.

Far-fetched implication? I will rephrase my statement properly: It's so disrespectful towards Asian people when someone complains about the lack of Asian culture in Western entertainment and media industry. Asking the creator of the product to screw the authenticity and add representation of Asian people for no freaking reason is disrepectful towards both the creator and Asian people, it implies that Asian people are unable to make movies and games themselves so they are desperate to be represented in games and movies made by others.
    Edited by hmsdragonfly on August 21, 2017 3:31PM
    Aldmeri Dominion Loyalist. For the Queen!
  • AlwaysOnFire
    AlwaysOnFire
    ✭✭✭✭
    While everyone should have the opportunity to play a character that can seem "like them" (and totally not-humanlike characters like cat-people!), we probably don't want to strengthen the idea of Tamriel's "races" as straight-up expies for real life "race groups" because real ethnic divisions are way more diverse than any model we can devise for them. But in spite of that, it's definitely true that more options should be added to the character creator for eyes with epicanthic folds, etc. More skin color options should also be added to all of the elven or human races-- it's not unreasonable that if elves can wear cornrows or have natural textured hair, they could also have browner skin.

"Fantasy Races" unfortunately reinforce ideas that real-life concepts of race are like totally different species or flavors of people when the the real world is nothing like that at all. It's got widespread diasporas, different cultures blurring together at all periods in history, a robust tradition of migration and trade. Diverse populations have been unified or considered "the same" as often as very similar-seeming neighbors have considered themselves drastically different.

But in a fictional setting, we got to determine who gets different stat bonuses somehow. I support the idea of any "fantasy race" being able to have features suggestive of almost any real-life person's appearance, but it's still important to be cautious of inserting stereotypes.
    Edited by AlwaysOnFire on August 21, 2017 3:40PM
  • The_Smilemeister
    The_Smilemeister
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The humans of Akavir are based off of East Asian cultures, and Redguards (Arabic mixed with African influences) and Khajiits (Indian) are based off of South Asian cultures.

Imperials arguably have some North Asian influences. Although that's solely due to the Russians being a Slavic people and Western Imperials having more Slavic, Germanic and Western Roman influences in contrast to Eastern Imperials with Latin, Greek and Eastern Roman (Byzantine) influences.
  • Koensol
    Koensol
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @rynth Please stop. You know nothing about Asian culture. Asian people don't beg other people to make games (or movies or any other kind of entertainment) representing their culture. If they want Asian culture to be represented in a game, they make the damn game themselves. Take a look around, they have a well developed game industry, they have made a *** loads of games about their culture, they don't need some random dude who doesn't even respect their culture to cry about how Asian people are not being represented properly in a game they didn't make. This is so disrespectful towards Asian people, their heritage, their culture, their game industry and their own ability to create.

You're overreacting.

Oh I am not. It's so disrespectful towards Asian people if someone complains about the lack of Asian culture in Western entertainment and media industry, because doing so implies that Asian can't create things themselves, which is not true. If they want themselves to be represented in a game, they will freaking make their own game, and make sure that they do it right.
    That is your interpretation. It says nothing definite about what the OP implied. He most likely is just sad that can't make the character he wants, because there is no 'real' asian style in ESO.

I for one am glad because of it. Most games with asian style characters, haircuts and graphics are just childish and over the top. GW2 being the prime example. Just my honest personal opinion.

And well - too bad for OP? Very sad? And I'm very sad I can't make a cockroach looking character with 12 pony tails, so what? Apparently, Tamriel doesn't have those, it also happens not to have Asians. Probably, because there's no Asia on Nirn.
    As far as I see he didn't state any facts. Just his interpretation. You might agree, but that doesn't make it true. When I read the OP's post I didn't once think he qas being disrespectful of Asian culture. What does that tell you about perspective?

OP might be wrong about what Asian culture really is like, but that is more ignorance than disrespect.

He might not mean to disrespect Asian culture, but his action (complaining about how the game has races representing black and white people but no race representing Asian people, and asking devs to add things to represent "Asian look" while the lore and the authenticity of the universe don't support it) is disrespectful towards Asian people and their culture. Also his inability to spell the word "Asian" right is annoying.

I can see why you could think that would be disrespectful. Still, knowing there is no intent, why feel disrespected? To me, you are still overreacting. I live in a country where people call you disrespectful of culture and racist, even when you disagree with them on the most trivial of matters... And let me tell you, it annoys the crap out of me. In stead of acting like a victim and call racist and disrespect, just try and clear things up in a normal way without pulling the victim card.

"It's so disrespectful towards Asian people if someone complains about the lack of Asian culture in Western entertainment and media industry, because doing so implies that Asian can't create things themselves." Which to me is a really far-fetched implication. As if this has anything to do with being able or unable to create another game... I fail to see any connection between possible asian influences in ESO and what you just typed in that response.

I don't know how to read minds, so I am not going to pretend that I know what is going on in his mind. What I know is that the action speaks for itself.

Victim card? Who is the victim here? As far as I know, the OP is the one who is pulling the victim card "OMG this game doesn't represent the ABC race, I am so mad!". Dude, please stop, the lore of the Elder Scrolls universe says that there's no race representing Asian people, and that means there's no race representing Asian people, you can't screw the 15-year-old well-established lore and the authenticity of the beautifully crafted world just because you want to add something extremely out of place to ESO. That's extremely disrespectful to the lore, the creators behind it, the franchise, and also to Asian people and their culture. Looks like You are also pulling the victim card, not me. "People in my country do this and that, and I don't like it!" Dude, I don't give two flying fucurus about what people do in your country. OK? And since we are talking about annoying stuffs, do you know what annoys me? All the stupid people who keep complaining about the lack of "diversity" and try to squeeze in all the "representatives" just to fill in a quota - without any consideration about the authenticity of the product. Like, "OMG there's no representation of Asian people in this movie, unacceptable", dude, it is set in Southern Europe, during the Roman Empire, there's no Asian there, and if Asian people want them to be represented in a movie, they will make the movie themselves, they don't need some foreigners to speak on their behalf and obviously they don't need some foreigners to beg other foreigners to include Asian people in something that has nothing to do with Asian people and their culture.

Far-fetched implication? I will rephrase my statement properly: It's so disrespectful towards Asian people when someone complains about the lack of Asian culture in Western entertainment and media industry. Asking the creator of the product to screw the authenticity and add representation of Asian people for no freaking reason is disrepectful towards both the creator and Asian people, it implies that Asian people are unable to make movies and games themselves so they are desperate to be represented in games and movies made by others.
    I should have known better than to respond to a racially/culture influenced thread. My god the overreaction...

• hmsdragonfly
    hmsdragonfly
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You're overreacting.

I should have known better than to respond to a racially/culture influenced thread. My god the overreaction...

Can we all agree that it's unreasonable to add "Asian look" to ESO, given the rich lore and the authenticity of a well-established 15-year-old Elder Scrolls universe?
  • coop500
    coop500
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

You're overreacting.

Can we all agree that it's unreasonable to add "Asian look" to ESO, given the rich lore and the authenticity of a well-established 15-year-old Elder Scrolls universe?

I can most certainly agree, plus Asian stuff is everywhere, anime anybody? Final fantasy anybody? Just for examples. It's everywhere, TES is my escape from the crazy popular Asian stuff.
    Edited by coop500 on August 21, 2017 3:54PM
    Wishing for Lilmothiit race still! Or maybe Lilmothiit companion?
  • scipionumatia
    scipionumatia
    ✭✭✭✭
    theres a lot of Asian influence in this game you got the akaviri, soul shriven swords look like katanas, even the imperial sewer bosses carry banners on their backs like what you see in dynasty warriors!

the real question is, wheres the representation of my people? I demand "arroz con frijoles" as a purple tri-stat food, a pancho costume, mariachi emote, and all latino players get +20% resistance to "wall of elements" :lol:
    Scipio Numantia Red guard Nightblade PvP- AD
    Scipio Asiaticus Khajiit Nightblade (CRAFTER/DPS) PvE- EP
    Altmer Nightblade PvP- EP
    Fueoculto Breton Templar (DPS) PvE- EP
    Rasoculto Orc Dragon Knight PvP- EP
    Caethus Argonian Templar (HEAL) PvE- EP
    Vale Oso Nord Sorc (DPS) PvE- AD
    Sir-Galahad-the-pure Altmer Sorc (DPS) PvE- EP
    Scipionumantine Imperial Templar PvP- EP
    Un-bearable Imperial Warden PVP- EP
    Vale Bear Altmer Warden PvP- EP
    Baits-All-Zergs Argonian Dragon knight PVP- DC
  • FluffyReachWitch
    FluffyReachWitch
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You're overreacting.

A lot of lore, artwork, and "aesthetic" used in Elder Scrolls games over the last 15 years has drawn heavily on various east and southeast Asian cultures. Even negative stereotypes abound for the sake of "flavor" and "weirdness" and "uniqueness" that The Elder Scrolls is so famous for.

With regards to lore, we know that groups of humans (though in some places the lore says snake-like betmer which isn't exactly great either as we're back to negative stereotypes) have migrated to Tamriel from Akavir and parts of their culture are present in the 2nd Era. They even formed the Dragonguard that lasts all the way to the 4th Era. Chances are they had families with other humans on the continent too.

So no. It wouldn't be unreasonable to allow players to create more diverse human characters in setting after so much use of culture as a coat of paint.
    Edited by FluffyReachWitch on August 21, 2017 4:08PM
  • Huyen
    Huyen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hollery wrote: »
    LORE EXPLANATION:

Akiviri (The few Humans that probably existed on the continent of Akivir) are the race of man that resemble Asians

Presumed extinct tho after the invasion on Tamriel.

Edit for typo.
    Edited by Huyen on August 21, 2017 4:07PM
    Huyen Shadowpaw, dedicated nightblade tank - PS4 (Retired)
    Huyen Swiftpaw, nightblade dps - PC EU (Retired)
    Huyen Lightpaw, templar healer - PC EU (Retired)
    Huyen Swiftpaw, necromancer dps - PC EU (Retired)
    Huyen Swiftpaw, dragonknight (no defined role yet)

"Failure is only the opportunity to begin again. Only this time, more wisely" - Uncle Iroh
  • Koensol
    Koensol
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

You're overreacting.

I can totally agree with you on that.

• scipionumatia
    scipionumatia
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Riptide there is blue and purple hair, does that count?
    Scipio Numantia Red guard Nightblade PvP- AD
    Scipio Asiaticus Khajiit Nightblade (CRAFTER/DPS) PvE- EP
    Altmer Nightblade PvP- EP
    Fueoculto Breton Templar (DPS) PvE- EP
    Rasoculto Orc Dragon Knight PvP- EP
    Caethus Argonian Templar (HEAL) PvE- EP
    Vale Oso Nord Sorc (DPS) PvE- AD
    Sir-Galahad-the-pure Altmer Sorc (DPS) PvE- EP
    Scipionumantine Imperial Templar PvP- EP
    Un-bearable Imperial Warden PVP- EP
    Vale Bear Altmer Warden PvP- EP
    Baits-All-Zergs Argonian Dragon knight PVP- DC
  • Riptide
    Riptide
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh I wouldn't venture to give an opinion. People in their twenties and below know far more than I could, and have a much wiser and more experienced world view - I look to them for guidance. The tone of certainty and self righteousness make their views especially soothing.

Esse quam videri.
  • ZOS_Mika
    ZOS_Mika
    admin
    We have removed several comments that are bashing. Please keep all discussion in this thread civil, respectful, and constructive. We ask that you please respect each other's opinion, even if you have differing views or thoughts.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • hmsdragonfly
    hmsdragonfly
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You're overreacting.

A lot of lore, artwork, and "aesthetic" used in Elder Scrolls games over the last 15 years has drawn heavily on various east and southeast Asian cultures. Even negative stereotypes abound for the sake of "flavor" and "weirdness" and "uniqueness" that The Elder Scrolls is so famous for.

With regards to lore, we know that groups of humans (though in some places the lore says snake-like betmer which isn't exactly great either) have migrated to Tamriel from Akavir and parts of their culture are present in the 2nd Era. They even formed the Dragonguard that lasts all the way to the 4th Era. Chances are they had families with other humans on the continent too.

So no. It wouldn't be unreasonable to allow players to create more diverse human characters in setting after so much use of culture as a coat of paint.

We all know that the architecture and culture of various races in Tamriel are heavily influenced by Asian culture. But OP is asking for a race representing the look of Asian people. ZOS can't just create a new race and screw the 15-year well-established lore and the authenticity of the universe.

Akaviri all died out in 1E. If you are talking about them having families with people from other races in Tamriel, there were so few Akavri people in Tamriel, sure there could be a couple of half-Akaviri people somewhere in the history, but there aren't enough of them to make significant changes to the appearance of all races in Tamriel in 2E.
    Edited by hmsdragonfly on August 21, 2017 4:31PM
  • wesly.backersb16_ESO
    LOL ...
    Edited by wesly.backersb16_ESO on August 21, 2017 4:38PM
  • ThePrinceOfBargains
    ThePrinceOfBargains
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You're overreacting.

Is this a joke? You seem pretty serious, but what you're saying makes so little sense, I'm having trouble believing it's serious.

His complaint doesn't imply that at all. Like, not even in the slightest sense of the word "imply." I guarantee you no one came into this thread and thought "wow, OP is implying Asian people can't make things."

Oh? OP complained about the lack of "asain" look (whatever the **** "asain" means), despite the fact that Tamriel as an established universe doesn't have any race representing Asian people. The only one influenced by Asian culture is the Akaviri (we don't know how they actually look) but they are from Akavir and they are already extinct. Then OP proceeded to complain that the game has races representing black and white people (Redguards, Imperials, Nords, Bretons) but no race representing Asian people, so OP wanted the devs to add "Asian look" just for the sake of diversity, screw the lore, screw the authenticity, who gives a **** about the 15-year well-established lore behind the wonderfully crafted Elder Scrolls universe, who gives a **** about the authenticity, right? Asian people don't cry about how a game doesn't have a race representing them, if Elder Scrolls universe doesn't have a race representing Asian people, then that universe doesn't have a race representing Asian people, it's freaking disrespectful to the authenticity and the lore if you add something extremely out of place just to fill in the racial quota, and it's freaking disrespectful towards Asian people and their culture because again, if they want themselves to be featured in a game, they make the damn game themselves.

Again, this is nothing short of preposterous and reaching at best. It is absolutely not disrespectful for the OP to request Asian features in a western video game. As for the lore, it's just a video game. No one should have such reverence for it that they wouldn't complain about certain aspects of it. It's fiction. You don't have to like or respect the request personally, but going on this rant that's intentionally overcomplicating the issue doesn't prove your point at all.

I'm absolutely not saying he's right, as I don't think we need more Asian options. But what you're trying to say is outright absurd. I can't even focus on one specific statement because all of what you're saying is complete nonsense. You're overexaggerating the issue.
  • Stormshaper
    Stormshaper
    ✭✭✭
    There's a "squint" option and plenty of races have tan skin options. The Soul-Shriven Swords look like katanas. Not sure what more you could possibly want.

Epicanthic folds and a more Asian nose shape would be a start. Reducing a very broad range of ethnicities to squinty eyes and tan skin is really racist.

That's not even close to the definition of racist.

Perhaps. But it easily falls under its close cousin, 'stereotyping'.
    Edited by Stormshaper on August 21, 2017 4:50PM
  • hmsdragonfly
    hmsdragonfly
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You're overreacting.

Is this a joke? You seem pretty serious, but what you're saying makes so little sense, I'm having trouble believing it's serious.

His complaint doesn't imply that at all. Like, not even in the slightest sense of the word "imply." I guarantee you no one came into this thread and thought "wow, OP is implying Asian people can't make things."

Oh? OP complained about the lack of "asain" look (whatever the **** "asain" means), despite the fact that Tamriel as an established universe doesn't have any race representing Asian people. The only one influenced by Asian culture is the Akaviri (we don't know how they actually look) but they are from Akavir and they are already extinct. Then OP proceeded to complain that the game has races representing black and white people (Redguards, Imperials, Nords, Bretons) but no race representing Asian people, so OP wanted the devs to add "Asian look" just for the sake of diversity, screw the lore, screw the authenticity, who gives a **** about the 15-year well-established lore behind the wonderfully crafted Elder Scrolls universe, who gives a **** about the authenticity, right? Asian people don't cry about how a game doesn't have a race representing them, if Elder Scrolls universe doesn't have a race representing Asian people, then that universe doesn't have a race representing Asian people, it's freaking disrespectful to the authenticity and the lore if you add something extremely out of place just to fill in the racial quota, and it's freaking disrespectful towards Asian people and their culture because again, if they want themselves to be featured in a game, they make the damn game themselves.

Again, this is nothing short of preposterous and reaching at best. It is absolutely not disrespectful for the OP to request Asian features in a western video game. As for the lore, it's just a video game. No one should have such reverence for it that they wouldn't complain about certain aspects of it. It's fiction. You don't have to like or respect the request personally, but going on this rant that's intentionally overcomplicating the issue doesn't prove your point at all.

I'm absolutely not saying he's right, as I don't think we need more Asian options. But what you're trying to say is outright absurd. I can't even focus on one specific statement because all of what you're saying is complete nonsense. You're overexaggerating the issue.

Asking the creator of a product to screw the authenticity and add representation of Asian people for no reason whatsoever is disrepectful towards both the creator and Asian people, it implies that Asian people are unable to make movies and games themselves so they are desperate to be represented in games and movies made by others. If the lore says there's no race representing Asian people, it means there's no race representing Asian people, full stop. You don't think it's disrespectful? Sure, suit yourself, but they think it's disrespectful to them, and they don't care what you think either.
  • Joffi
    Joffi
    ✭✭✭
    Most of the people arguing on the side of authenticity need to go back to Elder Scrolls Lore school.
    "Bah... This is not the way... "

PC EU
    Tempora Jof, Daggerfall Covenant, Breton, Sorcerer, Vampire: "Being good is hard..."
    Jurfi da Nord, Aldmeri Dominion, Nord,Warden, Vampire: "Serving my own needs is easy."
    Randal the Second, Ebonheart Pact, Dark Elf, Dragonknight: "I refuse to feel the ex-slaver guilt I have."
    Inos sal'Ma'Nefic, Aldmeri Dominion, Imperial, Templar: "Heals by accident count, eh? Eh?"
    Desdenada Jof, Ebonheart Pact, High Elf, Sorcerer: "Righteousness is its own edict."
    Joffi da Rat, Aldmeri Dominion, Wood Elf, Nightblade: "Bah, this is not the way..."
    Indigo sal'Ma'Nefic, Daggerfall Covenant, Redguard, Dragonknight: "For glory!"
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Might the reason that Asians aren't directly represented in this game be because it is set in Tamriel?

I don't think it's disrespectful to ask for Asians to be represented, I just think the it's irrelevant to a game based in an alternate world to our own.
  • ThePrinceOfBargains
    ThePrinceOfBargains
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You're overreacting.

Asking the creator of a product to screw the authenticity and add representation of Asian people for no reason whatsoever is disrepectful towards both the creator and Asian people, it implies that Asian people are unable to make movies and games themselves so they are desperate to be represented in games and movies made by others. If the lore says there's no race representing Asian people, it means there's no race representing Asian people, full stop. You don't think it's disrespectful? Sure, suit yourself, but they think it's disrespectful to them, and they don't care what you think either.

Again, it doesn't imply any of that. Not even in the slightest. See, this is what you're doing. You're taking a request you didn't like and making up all of this nonsense for it to make your point of view seem more objective. And the lore doesn't say there's no race representing Asians. Point me to where it says that. The character models have changed drastically over the years, and there's no objective reason the Imperials or some other race couldn't be given more Asian-esque features in the next game.

"but they think it's disrespectful to them"
    Why the hell do you think you're the voice for Asian people? You're not. Nobody but you came into this thread and got "OP is implying Asians can't make games" from his post. It doesn't matter how stupid you think it is. What you're saying is absurd to anyone and everyone with an ounce of common sense.
  • ThePrinceOfBargains
    ThePrinceOfBargains
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's a "squint" option and plenty of races have tan skin options. The Soul-Shriven Swords look like katanas. Not sure what more you could possibly want.

Epicanthic folds and a more Asian nose shape would be a start. Reducing a very broad range of ethnicities to squinty eyes and tan skin is really racist.

That's not even close to the definition of racist.

Perhaps. But it easily falls under its close cousin, 'stereotyping'.

Not even that. I didn't say all Asians exhibit these features.
  • Megabear
    Megabear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm fine with having or not having Asian look. But I do love those Samurai or Ninja-ish costumes.
    Guide to making $$$ in Tamriel: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/370618/guide-to-making-gold-in-eso/p1?new=1
    Cost analysis for potential ESO players: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/367919/cost-analysis-for-brand-new-potential-pc-eso-players#latest
    Warden Bow Healer/DPS Hybrid Build: http://tamrielfoundry.com/topic/warden-bow-healerdps-hybrid/
    Warden "The Warladin" Healer/Tank Hybrid Build: http://tamrielfoundry.com/topic/warden-the-warladin-healertank-hybrid-build/
    Warden Stamina DPS Build: http://tamrielfoundry.com/topic/warden-dps-build/
    Server - PC/NA
    Vhevet - (S) Night Blade/Female/Orsimer
    Ecaer - (M) Templar/Female/Breton
    Captain Beaster Bunny - (S) Warden/Male/Red Guard
    Ezaera - (M) Sorcerer/Female/Altmer
    Ecaeri - (M) Warden/Female/Argonian
    Dun-and-Dunmer - (M) Dragon Knight/Male/Dunmer
    What Can Go Wong - (S) Night Blade/Male/Bosmer
    Izaer - (M) Templar/Male/Breton
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And the lore doesn't say there's no race representing Asians. Point me to where it says that.

Um, it says it in every TES game ever made?

The only human races in Tamriel are white, brown, and black. There used to be silver-skinned too but they went extinct.

Nords are based on Scandinavians.

Bretons are based on the French.

Imperials are based on Romans.

Redguards are based on North (and maybe East) Africans.

You can't suddenly change or make things up.

Edited by MLGProPlayer on August 22, 2017 3:00AM
  • Megabear
    Megabear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm maybe they can officially add a race based on Asians into the lore. Maybe next single player game.
    Guide to making $$$ in Tamriel: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/370618/guide-to-making-gold-in-eso/p1?new=1
    Cost analysis for potential ESO players: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/367919/cost-analysis-for-brand-new-potential-pc-eso-players#latest
    Warden Bow Healer/DPS Hybrid Build: http://tamrielfoundry.com/topic/warden-bow-healerdps-hybrid/
    Warden "The Warladin" Healer/Tank Hybrid Build: http://tamrielfoundry.com/topic/warden-the-warladin-healertank-hybrid-build/
    Warden Stamina DPS Build: http://tamrielfoundry.com/topic/warden-dps-build/
    Server - PC/NA
    Vhevet - (S) Night Blade/Female/Orsimer
    Ecaer - (M) Templar/Female/Breton
    Captain Beaster Bunny - (S) Warden/Male/Red Guard
    Ezaera - (M) Sorcerer/Female/Altmer
    Ecaeri - (M) Warden/Female/Argonian
    Dun-and-Dunmer - (M) Dragon Knight/Male/Dunmer
    What Can Go Wong - (S) Night Blade/Male/Bosmer
    Izaer - (M) Templar/Male/Breton