Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

lack of asain/ oriental look

rynth
rynth
✭✭✭✭✭
I was wondering what is up with a lack of an oriental/Asian look heck even a Samurai like hair cut
When asked what he would do for a Klondike bar. Grand Moff Tarkin said "why I would blow up Alderaan."
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you looked at the bosmer?
    PC NA - @dazkt - Dazk Ardoonkt / Sir Thogalot / Dask Dragoh’t / Dazk Dragoh’t / El Thogardo

Stream: twitch.tv/THOGARDvsThePeasants
    YouTube: http://youtube.com/c/thogardpvp

• ThePrinceOfBargains
    ThePrinceOfBargains
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's a "squint" option and plenty of races have tan skin options. The Soul-Shriven Swords look like katanas. Not sure what more you could possibly want.
  • NyassaV
    NyassaV
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    LORE EXPLANATION:

Akiviri (The few Humans that probably existed on the continent of Akivir) are the race of man that resemble Asians
    Flawless Conqueror ~ Grand Overlord
    She/Her ~ PC/NA | I record things for fun and for info
  • mesmerizedish
    mesmerizedish
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TheMaster wrote: »
    There's a "squint" option and plenty of races have tan skin options. The Soul-Shriven Swords look like katanas. Not sure what more you could possibly want.

Epicanthic folds and a more Asian nose shape would be a start. Reducing a very broad range of ethnicities to squinty eyes and tan skin is really racist.
  • MercTheMage
    MercTheMage
    ✭✭✭✭
    Khajiits are asian. However due to the excessive amounts of fur, this is very hard, if not impossible to see. I can assure you that this is indeed the case tho. According to maiq, they are very very asian.
    Edited by MercTheMage on August 21, 2017 3:25AM
    You just going to stand there like a lemon?
  • MercTheMage
    MercTheMage
    ✭✭✭✭

Epicanthic folds and a more Asian nose shape would be a start. Reducing a very broad range of ethnicities to squinty eyes and tan skin is really racist.

You can adjust the eye angle too... just saying
    You just going to stand there like a lemon?
  • tplink3r1
    tplink3r1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hollery wrote: »
    LORE EXPLANATION:

Akiviri (The few Humans that probably existed on the continent of Akivir) are the race of man that resemble Asians
    Culturally? Yes, in a way. Their looks? No one knows.
    VR16 Templar
    VR3 Sorcerer
  • ThePrinceOfBargains
    ThePrinceOfBargains
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That's not even close to the definition of racist.

There are no real-world races in this game and the models are not realistic. There are only traits from each race. There are Asian traits in the game. You're not going to get variation in epicanthic folds because there isn't that much detail in the models. And what the hell is an "Asian nose shape"? Their noses look the same as everyone else's with variations in size and position, which you can change in the game. Stop trying to make this issue more complex than it really is.
    Edited by ThePrinceOfBargains on August 21, 2017 3:35AM
  • Left4Daud
    Left4Daud
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What do I want?

♫ A girl worth fighting for!

I want her paler than the moon,
    with eyes that shine like stars.

My girl will marvel at my strength,
    adore my battle scars!

I couldn't care less what she'll wear
    or what she looks like!
    It all depends on what she cooks like...
    Beef, pork, chicken, mmm ♫

mulan-4.jpg

Edited by Left4Daud on August 21, 2017 3:45AM
  • tplink3r1
    tplink3r1
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That's the idea. Nords with squint eyes or Bretons with dark brown skin are not a thing in TES lore, get over it.
    VR16 Templar
    VR3 Sorcerer
  • MythicEmperor
    MythicEmperor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Orsimer get kimonos. Katanas and samurai-esque armor are present as motifs. Dunmer architecture in Stonefalls and Deshaan have eastern influences. Just because there isn't one group that is specifically oriental doesn't mean that its influences can't be seen. In fact, no TES culture is specifically one group. Even the viking-esque Nords have egyptian influences in their mummification process. TES races are unique and can't be likened to a single people from real life; they draw their inspiration from many cultures throughout history.
    With cold regards,
    Mythic

Favorite Characters:
    Kilith Telvayn, Dunmer Telvanni Sorcerer (main)
    Kilith, Dunmer Magblade (old main)
    Vadusa Venim, Dunmer crafter (older main)
    Hir Hlaalu, Dunmer Warden
    Søren Icehelm, N'wah Warden
    Fargoth of Morrowind, Bosmer commoner
  • rynth
    rynth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yeah but you have looks that are more middle eastern/Nubian looks for redguard, Britons well looks like white Europeans, Nords look like swidish, Danish, Viking look. Imperials take on a more ancient Roman like look with the nose, skin tone, and facial features.

Just saying adding Asian looks doesn't hurt emersion or anything, just something I noticed when I tried to make a Samurai looking human no hair do, skin tone, or facial features.

not trying to say anything about racism or imply it just something I noticed and well for myself I'd like to be able to play in game.
    Edited by rynth on August 21, 2017 3:45AM
    When asked what he would do for a Klondike bar. Grand Moff Tarkin said "why I would blow up Alderaan."
  • max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a samurai haircut.

https://eso.mmo-fashion.com/shaved-warrior-topknot/

Edit: this haircut is in character creation for some races not all, to unlock it for all your characters the Cosmetic Hair Pack must be purchased.

Also I've made Bosmer and Redguard look reliably Asian, but maybe you meant stereotypical pale Japanese from a cartoon?

What about the eastern-Russian native peoples who look "Asian"?

How about darker skinned Malay or Pilipino persons?

I think maybe you should post a picture of the individual you want to look like because asking for "Asian" or even "oriental" (by the way, don't use that word to refer to people, only objects such as rugs can be oriental) is going to get you into a heap of trouble.

Oh and by the way, yes you can make white Redguards.
    Edited by max_only on August 21, 2017 4:16AM
    #FiteForYourRite Bosmer = Stealth
    #OppositeResourceSiphoningAttacks
    || CP 1000+ || PC/NA || GUILDS: LWH; IA; CH; XA
    ""All gods' creatures (you lot) are equal when covered in A1 sauce"" -- Old Bosmeri Wisdom
  • Betsararie
    Betsararie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about a legitimate ninja costume

Apparently he doesn't know that there are whole races/groups of asians with a naturally white skin tone. LOL. It's okay man
    Edited by Betsararie on August 21, 2017 3:49AM
  • rynth
    rynth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    max_only wrote: »
    There is a samurai haircut.

https://eso.mmo-fashion.com/shaved-warrior-topknot/

Also I've made Bosmer and Redguard look reliably Asian, but maybe you meant stereotypical pale Japanese from a cartoon?

What about the eastern-Russian native peoples who look "Asian"?

How about darker skinned Malay or Pilipino persons?

I think maybe you should post a picture of the individual you want to look like because asking for "Asian" or even "oriental" (by the way, don't use that word to refer to people, only objects such as rugs can be oriental) is going to get you into a heap of trouble.
    yeah issue is its a crown store item seems I don't kind of *** put as a crown store purchase but eh I'll purchase it if its still for sale. Well as to the rest I'm talking about a generic looks...yes sigh if you want a stereo typical game playing Asian look.
    Edited by rynth on August 21, 2017 3:55AM
  • FluffyReachWitch
    FluffyReachWitch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tplink3r1 wrote: »

That's the idea. Nords with squint eyes or Bretons with dark brown skin are not a thing in TES lore, get over it.

People can have all sorts of combinations of traits from their parents. Race and appearance isn't something that is that concrete. This is true in The Elder Scrolls as well. Lorebooks in setting point out that people have traits from both of their parents regardless of race. Bretons exist. Considering the amount of interaction between all the people of Tamriel and the fact that interracial families exist, we should have the option to create Bretons with dark brown skin and Nords with epicanthic folds.
    Edited by FluffyReachWitch on August 21, 2017 3:58AM
  • rynth
    rynth
    ✭✭✭✭✭

People can have all sorts of combinations of traits from their parents. Race and appearance isn't something that is that concrete. This is true in The Elder Scrolls as well. Lorebooks in setting point out that people have traits from both of their parents regardless of race. Bretons exist. Considering the amount of interaction between all the people of Tamriel and the fact that interracial families exist, we should have the option to create Bretons with dark brown skin and Nords with epicanthic folds.

yeah this would be a great thing, hell you could tie it in with being an ESO sub perk ability to have interracial looks.

As for the Samurai hair cut it looks like it was a limited time style cause its not in the store anymore
  • max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's in the character creation
    ""All gods' creatures (you lot) are equal when covered in A1 sauce"" -- Old Bosmeri Wisdom
  • tplink3r1
    tplink3r1
    ✭✭✭✭✭

''Lorebooks in setting point out that people have traits from both of their parents regardless of race.''
    There is 0 evidence to support that the word ''traits'' in the book refers to physical traits.

''Bretons exist.''
    Still they don't have any visual elven trait, only a gift in magicka and intellect.

Never at any point we had humans with pointy ears, Nords with brown skin, Altmers with Orc teeth, or anything like that. Just stop.
    Edited by tplink3r1 on August 21, 2017 4:14AM
    VR16 Templar
    VR3 Sorcerer
  • LMar
    LMar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is not the earth nor does it have earth cultures. Try to make do with in ingame universe thingies.
    As has been mentioned you can mix and match from the various other cultures of Tamriel
    "If a stick of fish is a fish stick, it will stick like other fish sticks stick"
    "Taller races now sit in chairs correctly"
  • max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The samurai haircut is in character creation, but not for all ESO races. You can unlock it for all your characters by buying the hair pack from the store that says Cosmetic HairPack " access to all the standard player character hairstyles"

Do you want female or male character first of all?
    Edited by max_only on August 21, 2017 4:09AM
  • rynth
    rynth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    max_only wrote: »
    The samurai haircut is in character creation, but not for all ESO races. You can unlock it for all your characters by buying the hair pack from the store that says "all current hairstyles" give you

Do you want female or male character first of all?

cool thank you very much

• hmsdragonfly
    hmsdragonfly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @rynth Please stop. You know nothing about Asian culture. Asian people don't beg other people to make games (or movies or any other kind of entertainment) representing their culture. If they want Asian culture to be represented in a game, they make the damn game themselves. Take a look around, they have a well developed game industry, they have made a *** loads of games about their culture, they don't need some random dude who doesn't even respect their culture to cry about how Asian people are not being represented properly in a game they didn't make. This is so disrespectful towards Asian people, their heritage, their culture, their game industry and their own ability to create.

Mods, please close this stupid thread.
    Aldmeri Dominion Loyalist. For the Queen!
  • ThePrinceOfBargains
    ThePrinceOfBargains
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @rynth Please stop. You know nothing about Asian culture. Asian people don't beg other people to make games (or movies or any other kind of entertainment) representing their culture. If they want Asian culture to be represented in a game, they make the damn game themselves. Take a look around, they have a well developed game industry, they have made a *** loads of games about their culture, they don't need some random dude who doesn't even respect their culture to cry about how Asian people are not being represented properly in a game they didn't make. This is so disrespectful towards Asian people, their heritage, their culture, their game industry and their own ability to create.

You're overreacting.
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's also a new motif style in the works that looks like Akaviri 2.0. It was on the PTS during Morrowind's beta.
    I wish I could share a screenshot, but as it didn't make it to live, I guess it's technically still under NDA?
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
  • FluffyReachWitch
    FluffyReachWitch
    ✭✭✭✭✭

People can have all sorts of combinations of traits from their parents. Race and appearance isn't something that is that concrete. This is true in The Elder Scrolls as well. Lorebooks in setting point out that people have traits from both of their parents regardless of race (although for some reason it treats people in setting like Pokemon na. Bretons exist. Considering the amount of interaction between all the people of Tamriel and the fact that interracial families exist, we should have the option to create Bretons with dark brown skin and Nords with epicanthic folds.

''Lorebooks in setting point out that people have traits from both of their parents regardless of race.''
    There is 0 evidence to support the word ''traits'' in the book refers to physical traits.

''Bretons exist.''
    Still they don't have any visual elven trait, only a gift in magicka and intellect.

The use of the word "traits" is not the point. Have you ever read Notes on Racial Phylogeny in setting? While for some reason it treats people like Pokemon and says they mainly look like their mothers, it notes resemblance to the father as well.

As for Bretons, lore regarding them includes stories of early Nordic encounters with them. The first Nords to take over Skyrim eventually ran into early Bretons and noted that they looked remarkably elven -- so much so that they decided to attack them until they began pleading for their lives in Nedic. Most Bretons as of the Second Era look more human. Bretons are more canon evidence that these things aren't set in stone.
  • hmsdragonfly
    hmsdragonfly
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You're overreacting.

Oh I am not. It's so disrespectful towards Asian people if someone complains about the lack of Asian culture in Western entertainment and media industry, because doing so implies that Asian can't create things themselves, which is not true. If they want themselves to be represented in a game, they will freaking make their own game, and make sure that they do it right.
    Edited by hmsdragonfly on August 21, 2017 4:23AM
    Aldmeri Dominion Loyalist. For the Queen!
  • tplink3r1
    tplink3r1
    ✭✭✭✭✭

People can have all sorts of combinations of traits from their parents. Race and appearance isn't something that is that concrete. This is true in The Elder Scrolls as well. Lorebooks in setting point out that people have traits from both of their parents regardless of race (although for some reason it treats people in setting like Pokemon na. Bretons exist. Considering the amount of interaction between all the people of Tamriel and the fact that interracial families exist, we should have the option to create Bretons with dark brown skin and Nords with epicanthic folds.

There is 0 evidence to support the word ''traits'' in the book refers to physical traits.

''Bretons exist.''

The use of the word "traits" is not the point. Have you ever read Notes on Racial Phylogeny in setting? While for some reason it treats people like Pokemon and says they mainly look like their mothers, it notes resemblance to the father as well.

As for Bretons, lore regarding them includes stories of early Nordic encounters with them. The first Nords to take over Skyrim eventually ran into early Bretons and noted that they looked remarkably elven -- so much so that they decided to attack them until they began pleading for their lives in Nedic. Most Bretons as of the Second Era look more human. Bretons are more canon evidence that these things aren't set in stone.

''Bretons exist.''

The book says that traces of the father's race may be present, not that they resemble their father physiologically.

"The first Nords to take over Skyrim eventually ran into early Bretons and noted that they looked remarkably elven''
    Can you please give me the source? I have never heard of this.
    Edited by tplink3r1 on August 21, 2017 4:53AM
    VR16 Templar
    VR3 Sorcerer
  • Farkaz
    Farkaz
    ✭✭
    awedgmaxbeq6.jpg
  • Betsararie
    Betsararie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Farkaz wrote: »
    awedgmaxbeq6.jpg